homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Memorable Messages

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Memorable Messages
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We sometimes hear a great sermon and think we must remember that, but mostly it vanishes before we get home. And who said it’s often the children’s talk that sticks in your mind?

However, there were moments that I still remember as eye-openers, some from my distant youth.

Leslie Weatherhead talking, with his arms spread wide, of ‘atonement’ as ‘at-one-ment’

The preacher at a communion service at Knock Presbyterian, also in the fifties, noting that Jesus blessing the bread and the wine at the Last Supper was doing what he normally did when they ate together, though with different words.(Of course, this was the experience of the disciples at Emmaeus.)

Our minister a few years ago now with photos of a man with a severely disabled child and the man’s trust that his daughter was ‘made in the image of God’.

And a visiting minister arranging four chairs in front of the congregation to represent his Morris Mini, taking the driver’s seat, and pointing out that Faith had brought him there on his journey, Hope lay ahead, and Love travelled with him.

Anyone with special memories to share?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

I think this is Heaven territory, so I'm moving it there now.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Gonville ffrench Beytagh, the Dean of Johannesberg who had been imprisoned by the Apartheid regime, preaching and saying "God so loved the world. It doesn't say he loved the church. God must get as fed up with the church as I do." (Gonville was an undoubted Anglo Catholic - he was not anti-church in a protestant sense.)

And the parish sermon beginning "Today the church presents for our consideration the parable of the wise and foolish bridesmaids. (Pause.) Humph. They were virgins in my day."

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so much inspiring as curious. I went with my cousin to a Brethern meeting sometime in the late 60s. The preacher was an elderly man with an odd way of speaking - breaking long words into clearly ennuciated syllables. So we had 'the arc-ane-gel Gab-rye-el' and 'de-vine in-spire-ay-shun'.

Years later, reading up on Victorian threatre, I discovered this was a technique adopted by actors - and, presumably preachers - in pre-amplification days in order to send their words to the back of large spaces.

So I had heard something which connected back to the days of Irving and Spurgeon.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That preacher would have done well at a local chapel here, built in the 1950s and with a terrible echo. If I preach there I have to choose my words and enunciate very carefully (I usually talk too fast)!

[ 14. August 2016, 08:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One memorable moment in a lengthy sermon was when the priest had been recounting a tale of someone who had gone out and done something extremely worthy and heroic, like saving lives on a battlefield, then paused and said that we weren't all called to be on the front line and not everybody was cut out for it. He went on to make the point that we all serve God in different ways according to our abilities.

It was a perfectly obvious point that hadn't occurred to me before and came as quite a relief: it was all right to be yourself and do your own thing and not to feel guilty that you weren't striving to do something heroic. Sometimes the small things turn out to be essential.

(As I've got older I realize there are many acts of unseen and unsung heroism in daily life, which often go unrecognized by anyone except the angels.)

[ 14. August 2016, 08:22: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Not so much inspiring as curious. I went with my cousin to a Brethern meeting sometime in the late 60s. The preacher was an elderly man with an odd way of speaking - breaking long words into clearly ennuciated syllables. So we had 'the arc-ane-gel Gab-rye-el' and 'de-vine in-spire-ay-shun'.

Years later, reading up on Victorian threatre, I discovered this was a technique adopted by actors - and, presumably preachers - in pre-amplification days in order to send their words to the back of large spaces.

So I had heard something which connected back to the days of Irving and Spurgeon.

It is worth considering that in preaching out-of-doors to a large gathering, Jesus probably had to project his voice in ways that might sound harsh in some of our church buildings.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GG - are you suggesting that Jesus didn't really bless the cheesemakers?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many moons ago (1989 maybe?), I heard a sermon from the Archdeacon of Stow and Lindsey (at that time Ven Christopher Laurence) which ended with a rhetorical conversation arguing that we should stand up for Gospel teachings. It went more or less:

God: You must stand up for what you know is Truth.

We: But if I do that, they'll condemn me; I'll be slandered - I'll be slaughtered - I'll be crucified! And then what?

[Long pause...]

God: Resurrection, perhaps?

I can still remember the feeling of the hairs rising on the back of my neck during the pause and the thought passing through the mind of this (then) teenager when he delivered the denouement... "F**king hell, that was good!"

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of things from a previous church - the elderly preacher who preached on Joel - the greater locus -tss and the lesser locuss -t's and the locuss -t swarm. At that time, we had wooden swing back pews, and one of his sons reckoned that he had had to bite the back of the pew in front to keep from laughing.
Also in that church, but in a different league - the visiting preacher preaching on the tax collector and the Pharisee, who started his sermon by telling us that when he was in school, he had fallen in love with a girl with ginger hair and glasses, who was known as Ginger Foureyes. He went on to say that the Pharisee must have had glasses because he had 4 "I"s...

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A well loved rector opened my eyes regarding the ten commandments. He said they were natural laws which if broken would have an inevitable negative outcome.
He illustrated this by asking us to imagine climbing the church tower and jumping off.
The law of gravity would ensure that we would be badly hurt.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wedding sermon ever:

The priest advised the young couple that friends, relations and everyone else would have lots of advice to give. "It didn't work for them, and it won't work for you, so ignore it."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was present when Archbishop Tutu preached at a seminary graduation in Berkeley.

I don't remember his words, but I do recall the electric feeling (the hairs on my arms stood up) as he spread his arms wide (such a small man!) to illustrate God's embrace.

I'm tingling recalling it now.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard Hare, then Bishop of Pontefract, concluding a lively service with the closing words of the liturgy, "Go in peace, to love and serve the Lord", before adding "now let's make the very gates of Hell tremble..."

"In the name of Christ, amen", the congregation thundered - and it really did feel as if they did.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016