Thread: Coleman Research Group- anyone know anything about them? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029881

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Anybody got any experience or knowledge of this lot? http://www.colemanrg.com/ They've picked me up through Linkedin and would like to pay me to share my 'expertise' (slightly doubtful about that, but never mind) with one of their clients on the phone.
Thought they looked a bit snake-oil but Googling suggests they might be more serious than that- although seem to be working in a world of back-room business information that is rather alien to me.
My instinct is to steer clear, if only because I'm not convinced that what they do is terribly ethical.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

This looks more suited to All Saints than Purgatory to me.

/hosting

Thanks, Eutychus- wasn't sure which board it fitted best.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Hosts will be watching this but if help is possible, please help.

My offering is that very little actual information is on that site. Eac heading brings up a couple of sentences the an offer to become a client, to join firm or whatever.

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

They have a Wikipedia entry

... if that helps

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:

... if that helps

Sounds like it was written by senior management Wouldn't trust that entry further than I could shake a stick.

Yes quite. At the risk of junior hosting, I'd like to say that I don't want people to say anything defamatory here- if you have any detailed criticisms please PM me.

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:

... if that helps

Sounds like it was written by senior management Wouldn't trust that entry further than I could shake a stick.
I took a look at the article history. Only two major contributors neither of whom ever worked on anything else (well to be exact one edited a couple of other entries to add a reference to Coleman Research). If google searching note their initials CRG combined with Coleman might work better than "Coleman Research" (the latter gets you a lot about any research done by someone called Coleman).

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

This highlights a general problem. Some time ago we were targetted by a scammer purporting to be interested in some shares we had. Reference to website - which indeed looked pukkah. If somewhat recent.

The penny only dropped when they started mentioning a large sum of money which could be ours but only if we acted quickly.

That seems to be the only way - to try and determine what advantage the approach is angling for (often not obvious): look out for appeals to cupidity, examine all assertions particularly those you would really like to be true, and be wary of any pressure to 'close the deal'.

But that, as I say, is a general caveat.

[ 01. July 2016, 08:30: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

There is a genuine Coleman Research Group operating in this area. Whether it is they who are contacting you is something only you can determine.

But before you do sign up, you may want to read this.

Thanks. That confirms my doubts about whether this is something I really want to be getting into.

© Ship of Fools 2016