homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Decent displeasure intensifiers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Decent displeasure intensifiers
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shamwari lamented the paucity of language which seemed to find no other decent way of conveying what is intended than the F-word.

I'm posting this in Hell, because the thread "Anything else need fucking?" seemed to be attracting alternatives to the F- word. Maybe it should be in the Circus. If so, would a kindly host arrange the transfer.

OK - alternative phrases which still convey the disgust, anger and sheer weariness of the F- word, but which would not horrify your innocent (if they are ) children or your nice minded (if she is) grandmother. Creativity welcome.

An old boyfriend of mine used "shit and derision" as an expression of the ultimate displeasure, with the emphasis on weariness, that Sod's law was operating yet again.

"Proctalgic" was an adjective popular in my youth...

Over to you, shipmates.

[ 10. June 2016, 22:14: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I floccinaucinihilipilificate the condemnation of fuck.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink, when you have unwound your tongue from the consonants, could you give us the etymology of that expression?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allow me...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to know what the smegging smeg this smegging thread is smegging doing in smegging Hell rather than smegging Heaven, though,

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably because arsecrumpet, cockwomble and wankspanner would be too much for the Heavenly Host.

I tend to swear in Russian gangster slang. It's very expressive.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Do share.

Call me some names. C'mon, twatwaffle, hit me.

Yiddish is also a very good language to tell someone what a vershluggener potzer they are being,

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Allow me...

I am going to fuck you?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Decent" is a good one itself. It reminds of Bill & Ted. "Bogus" is one they'd say. (Which is the opposite of "most triumphant".)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Allow me...

I am going to fuck you?
How did you get that from the link?

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This being the Ship, may I suggest that posters utilize blasphemous DIs more often, or at least lace their usual profanity with affornts to the sacred?

"Jesus Sucking Off Joseph, do you Brexit people have any idea how much you'd be fucking up the UK?"

[ 11. June 2016, 02:25: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That's....colorful.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allow me...

I am going to fuck you?
How did you get that from the link?
Imgtfy. How can you NOT see that?

[ 11. June 2016, 03:06: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because "img" stands for "images" and the first thing I thought of was Imgur.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Also, the first letter in this particular acronym is "L".

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At work, we sometimes use each others names as verbs and adjectives.
For example, You're being a Kelly today or He's been kellied.

Moused, jacobsened etc could all be utilised. Please note these are not necessarily negative and generally meant for laughs.

Bit like 'pissy' which I am sometimes called in fun and rather like.*

*Patdys actually stands for my initial ship name, 'Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow'. At least, I assume it is in fun.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Also, the first letter in this particular acronym is "L".

And that's so easy to see in a sans-serif font that someone who doesn't see it is to be mocked?

I don't understand the idea that someone who doesn't know something you know must perforce be stupid.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Because "img" stands for "images" and the first thing I thought of was Imgur.
I'm not you.

[ 11. June 2016, 09:45: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nobody mocked you, MT. For my part, I was answering your question -- "How can you not see that?"

This may shock you to death, given how rigorously courteous and careful you are with your words, but that comment of yours might be read as mocking someone for not seeing things the way you do.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You're of course right. I should have just spelled it out:

I
(a)m
g(oing)
t(o)
f(uck)
y(ou)

That's what I saw.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But you don't see that unless you click the link - in which the acronym is spelled out [Confused] And you've seen the page before, because that's why you called Euty to hell.

[ 11. June 2016, 10:25: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry, need to look something up really quick...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wow. Heavy. Sorry, those weren't the search results I expected.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
But you don't see that unless you click the link - in which the acronym is spelled out [Confused] And you've seen the page before, because that's why you called Euty to hell.

I had seen the page "Let me google that for you" long before Eutychus thought it was cutesy and clever to spring it on me, but that doesn't mean I'd seen the acronym before. This is a weird line of argument. Especially when I took the first letter to be an "I" as has been established. Why not just say I'm a fucking fuckwit and let it go at that?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Wow. Heavy. Sorry, those weren't the search results I expected.

I got ones about anti-abortion arguments, which don't seem too heavy. But we have no way of knowing what you got unless you tell us, since Google notoriously tailors its responses to what it knows about each Googler*. We all live inside our own private little Google bubble hell.

___
*Which is probably why I got results about a Spanish rock group instead of English toilet paper when I googled "Izal." Because Google knows I don't live in England, and that I google about rock groups far more often than about personal hygiene products.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

I had seen the page "Let me google that for you" long before Eutychus thought it was cutesy and clever to spring it on me, but that doesn't mean I'd seen the acronym before. This is a weird line of argument. Especially when I took the first letter to be an "I" as has been established. Why not just say I'm a fucking fuckwit and let it go at that?
I'm just confused because the acronym never appeared on the thread - Kelly's post shows as "Allow me ..." to me. Or you click, and the whole page comes up. Where are you seeing the acronym ?

[ 11. June 2016, 12:22: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

When I clicked I got an ad offering to sell me a mug or a t-shirt with the acro on it.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Kelly's link:

I got anti-abortion links, too--but also Nicene fathers! Maybe because I have the Ship window open?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
When I clicked I got an ad offering to sell me a mug or a t-shirt with the acro on it.

OIC ! As soon as I registered it was trying to give me a pop up, I reloaded the page to get rid of it. Didn't really read the ad.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re Kelly's link:

I got anti-abortion links, too--but also Nicene fathers! Maybe because I have the Ship window open?

Yes I too got a link to the Nicene Fathers. Perhaps because they made a lot of inane arguments at that council?

quote:
quote:

OIC ! As soon as I registered it was trying to give me a pop up, I reloaded the page to get rid of it. Didn't really read the ad.
I just closed the tab. I have enough t-shirts and mugs both.

[ 11. June 2016, 12:38: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just confused because the acronym never appeared on the thread - Kelly's post shows as "Allow me ..." to me. Or you click, and the whole page comes up. Where are you seeing the acronym ?

If I hover over Kelly's linked text I get "http://lmgtfy.com/?q=floccinaucinihilipilificate#". If I don't click through I don't see "let me Google that for you".
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fiddlesticks and Sugar were often decent alternatives to the F or S words.

I used to work with farmers who had church backgrounds and would avoid outright swearing by using frick or buck instead of fuck. The F word is now used so much on TV by stand-ups and comedians on panel shows it has become almost legitimate.
People still seem to know -- There is a time to eff and a time not to eff--- as Eccles might have put it had it covered displeasure intensifiers.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Central and Eastern European languages have a rich tradition of insults using the anatomy of animals. My favourite is "Go stick your head up a dead bear's bum", from Hungarian.

It isn't a one word alternative but these languages and cultures could provide alternatives, although I'm sure these too would soon be regarded as indecent within a few years of their introduction.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You deerbum! It has a certain ring. Needs a "k" though. Maybe "deerkum." Uh, maybe not.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Or you bumkum dear! as a term of endearment?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm kind of disappointed. Doc was supposed to call me a Russian whore or something, and then we got sidetracked by The Tangent That Ate The Ship.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I'm kind of disappointed. Doc was supposed to call me a Russian whore or something, and then we got sidetracked by The Tangent That Ate The Ship.

I prefer to call it The Tangent That Made Hell Interesting for a Change.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I guess you can't call Godzilla boring...

Still no Russian epithets.

[ 11. June 2016, 17:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Central and Eastern European languages have a rich tradition of insults using the anatomy of animals. My favourite is "Go stick your head up a dead bear's bum", from Hungarian.

[Big Grin] that made me laugh.

British swearing does lack imagination and is rooted in misogyny I fear. For example...
Tit or dickhead = mild annoyance
Fucking C*** = very angry.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And as we all know, Flippin' Heck is Baptist for Fuckin' Hell.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yobany stos!* I've been dealing with all manner of pizdets**, only to come back to find my board covered in this govno***. Stick it up your zhopa****, you shluha vokzal'naja*****.

* fucking hell
** a situation so terrible that anything you do will inevitably make it worse
*** shit
**** arsehole
***** train station whore

(worryingly, the first four of these are common currency in the Girl's vocabulary)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Fans self)

A former friend taught me how to say "stick your dick in tea" in Russian, but I forgot.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I can do several variations of 'go fuck your mother', but not that.

(in case anyone's wondering, I found a list of reprehensible Russian swears on the early interwebs, and thought, "that'll come in useful one day". One Philip K Dick Award later...)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
(Fans self)

A former friend taught me how to say "stick your dick in tea" in Russian, but I forgot.

Found it-- Sun Hui Chai. Apparently it's a fake Chinese name Russians use for ethnic jokes.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

*files*

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
OK - alternative phrases which still convey the disgust, anger and sheer weariness of the F- word ....

It is the "convey" part that is the problem, isn't it? I can imbue an otherwise innocent word with all sorts of disgust, etc. from my point of view, but if the recipient doesn't share that meaning it fails to convey my feelings.

That being said, I have been trying to incorporate "Oh, whiskers!" into my regular vocabulary.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shakespeare was good at insults as he was at any English wordcraft.

A few of my favorites from this list:
quote:
Methink’st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee.
quote:
There’s no more faith in thee than in a stewed prune.
quote:
Thou art unfit for any place but hell.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sun hui chai - s molokom, ili bez ? [Smile]

It seems very region-specific. I stayed with some fairly reformed evo types in Rotterdam years ago, and on talking about this the wife there surprised me by cheerfully saying 'we'd say fuck or shit no problem, but we'd never say <hushed voice, looks ashamed> God damn you'.

There's a clip somewhere of a bad-ass rapper getting lots of laughs (and no shock at all) out of a Dutch TV audience, and looking rather foolish and frustrated. I can't find it!

[ 12. June 2016, 00:34: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016