homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lament for Lost Laws

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lament for Lost Laws
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the UK choosing to leave the EU. Many laws are going to be at risk which we in the UK have taken for granted.

I think the one that most concerns me is the one that protects Bees from being poisoned by pesticides.

pesticides.

Which ones concern you?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested to see what happens regarding greenhouse gas emissions.

Given that IMO there is a significant overlap between the Brexit Tories and the phenomena of Climate Denial, I'm thinking it is likely that leaving the EU means abandoning the EU's promises.

--------------------
arse

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think various discrimination laws will either in the future not exist or be watered down..

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The law that means if they keep you on a rolling temp / fixed term contract for over two years you become permenant staff with redundancy rights etc.

It'll go, from then on expect job security to go down the toilet.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
The law that means if they keep you on a rolling temp / fixed term contract for over two years you become permenant staff with redundancy rights etc.

It'll go, from then on expect job security to go down the toilet.

Along with the paid holiday guarantee (especially for part-time staff and those on zero-hours contracts) and the Working Time Directive.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK no longer being part of the EU would mean it becoming a third country under the latter's Data Protection Directive. I'm not sure exactly what effects that would have, except that I got an e-mail from my web hosting firm saying they would consider hosting solutions "within the EU" if needs be.

I'm not sure where it leaves the right to be forgotten for UK residents, either.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, there goes the Water Framework Directive, too.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would leaving the EU change the Employment Rights Act (which mandates 28 days' leave per annum, rather than the 20 days under the Working Time Directive)?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because the act will have to be amended, which then allows dergulations junkies to say - why do we need a regulation, surely it can just be specified in the employment contract to which both parties give their free and informed consent ? (Whilst totally ignoring that you get your benefits withdrawn if you turn down job offers.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not an employment lawyer, so I'm outside my proper sphere of knowledge here, but I don't see why the Act would need to be amended - as far as I'm aware, it's not dependent on the Directive.

But as I say, it's not my area of law, so I'm happy to be shown I'm wrong.

M.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

AIUI it's not that it would have to be amended, but that the requirement for EU law to be transposed into UK domestic law has just disappeared, so it, like all other laws including such transpositions, can be amended. This is one of the area of law where that's most likely, I'd think.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Bill Cash on Radio 4's Today programme on Saturday morning discussed a process for checking through laws from the EU and deciding which to keep and which not, (but I wasn't terribly with it, and I'm not listening again on a phone on a train to find out, because I prefer not upsetting my fellow travellers). He definitely had thought it through at some point because he was quite clear.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

I would have been interested to hear that, CK.

An EU Directive has to be transposed into domestic law - often into secondary legislation. So, the Working Time Directive, for instance (or parts of, I assume), are brought into English law (and Scottish, possibly) by the Working Time Regulations. Secondary legislation depends on primary legislation - not sure what the primary legislation is, I'll have to check.

But other laws are brought in via primary legislation, like the Competition Act, and I see no reason why leaving the EU should make any difference to primary legislation.

An EU Regulation, which seems to be the preferred way of proceeding these days, has direct effect and does not need domestic legislation. I find these very difficult to grapple with because they are so different from how legislation usually works in common-law countries, they always seem rather vague and good-intention-y to me.

It's anyone's guess what happens about EU Regulations.

Disclaimer: I am not a constitutional or EU lawyer.

M.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The EU-US Open Skies Agreement? Might affect the ability of UK-based low-cost carriers such as Ryanair and EasyJet to operate routes into France (or at least require renegotiated agreements).

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Many laws are going to be at risk which we in the UK have taken for granted.

Then stop taking your laws for granted. Have you not noticed you have a Parliament?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Many laws are going to be at risk which we in the UK have taken for granted.

Then stop taking your laws for granted. Have you not noticed you have a Parliament?
yep,
but I have noticed, that much law particularly employment, environmental & trade law comes from the European Parliament & commission. Now we are leaving we are also leaving some of those laws or at least reducing their certainty.

I think we shall miss TUPE.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Someone needs to look at what the limit of the UK's territorial waters becomes outside the EU and the impact of the loss of EU funding for those bits.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Someone needs to look at what the limit of the UK's territorial waters becomes outside the EU and the impact of the loss of EU funding for those bits.

Territorial waters are determined by international law. Not by EU law.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I haven't looked this up, but from what I've heard the limit would be different for a non-EU country. And the related funding certainly would be different.

[ 28. June 2016, 15:28: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The briefest of lookups suggests that the respective Exclusive Economic Zones of the UK and the EU would require renegotiation.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The briefest of lookups suggests that the respective Exclusive Economic Zones of the UK and the EU would require renegotiation.

I don't see why. There is nothing in that article that suggests there is such a thing as an EU exclusive economic zone. All someone has done is lump the zones of various EU countries into a single map. The actual text of the article makes it pretty clear that each country has its own zone, as it must do under the relevant international treaty because the European Union is not a country and can't be party to such a treaty.

EU countries might "share" their zones for the purpose of the EU's internal affairs, but I doubt the UN commission that deals with territorial waters cares in the slightest.

[ 28. June 2016, 16:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639261 We probably have these options.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, from my Oceanography course with the EU, that the Law of the Sea, which covers national waters, is a globally internationally decided thing (with some non-signatories). Presumably we revert to the status ante, barring the EU fisheries which have been sold our quotas by British fishers. (Think I heard that in the small hours last week.)

What a lot of work has been created for unelected bureaucrats sorting out the messes we have got into.

[ 28. June 2016, 21:42: Message edited by: Penny S ]

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639261 We probably have these options.

Seems like a neat summary, thanks.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016