Thread: French protestant church votes in favour of blessing same-sex couples Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030803

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

The Eglise Protestante Unie de France (EPUdF) is a historic protestant denomination resulting from the recent merger of the Lutheran church and the Eglise Réformée de France. It has a presbyterian/synodal structure and tends to be theologically and sociologically liberal. Its influence is declining compared to various evangelical movements, but it is well-established institutionally and forms the backbone of the similarly well-established French Protestant Federation (FPF), of which some more evangelical denominations are part.

In its synod this weekend it voted overwhelmingly in favour of allowing the liturgical blessing of same-sex marriages (all marriages in France are first and foremost civil marriages; there is no such thing as a church-only marriage).

A measure of the EPUdF's enduring influence is that this was the top story on the lunchtime news here yesterday.

The full text of the synod declaration (in French) can be found here.

A particularity of the text (in my experience) resides in its understanding of the term "blessing".

Thus (translation mine):
quote:
Blessing involves offering a sign and a declaration expressing the love of God and his presence; it is not a magical act that somehow requires God to look on us with favour; nor does it automatically mean he approves of our undertakings... Blessing is a true source of peace and hope, opening up the future and establishing a dyanmic of renewed life... Blessing bears witness ot the presence of God with us in our successes, in our confident progress forward as well as in our wanderings. It does not grant us immunity from the uncertainties of human life, or the risks of our projects, but supports our trust in the benevolence of God.
It seems to me that the text has commanded a large majority (94-3) by presenting "blessing" in terms of inclusion and acceptance rather than in terms of endorsement of a principle.

It goes on to say
quote:
We all receive the testimony of Scripture which presents the faithful love of a man and a woman as a parabole of the faithfulness of God towards his people, but we do not all draw the same conclusions: some believe only such couples may be blessed liturgically, while for others, God's blessing cannot be bound up with sexual orientation
The upshot is that local presbyteral councils will be asked to decide policy on a case-by-case basis, with an opt-out possible.

I'd be interested to hear what denizens of DH have to say about this declaration and particularly this understanding of "blessing".

(The con-evos blogosphere here, as might be expected, is vituperative).

[ 22. May 2015, 00:24: Message edited by: Louise ]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Fine by me! This conclusion (i.e. delegating decisions on this matter locally) seems to be a generally-emerging theme in more Reformed churches.

However I'd prefer it to be on a congregation-by-congregation basis, not a presbytery-by-presbytery one - assuming that this means that every church in a presbytery must reach the same decision.

[ 18. May 2015, 09:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Maybe that was the wrong word. Each church has its own conseil presbyteral.

I'm particularly interested on this take on what "blessing" a marriage means, and how acceptable it is to various parties.

Sorry, I meant each congregation has its own "presbyteral council" who are to decide on the issue.

[ 18. May 2015, 10:15: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Ah, that's much clearer - thank you. In that case, I am very much in agreement with what has been agreed.

Personally I like the definition of "blessing" although it is new to me; I certainly prefer it to the idea of blessing as magically conferring some indefinable spiritual benefit on the person, object or union being "blessed".

Perhaps you should ask Jengie Jon, who seems to be our resident Shipmate with knowledge of things Reformed. (Or you could look up to see if Calvin says anything in his "Institutes").

[ 18. May 2015, 10:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

But what do you think about this take on "blessing"?

(Cross-posted with above).

To add: if one is being cynical (which I'm not), one could suggest that the definition of blessing has been written in such a way as to please parties of varying views on this DH issue.

To add further: my view of Ordination is essentially the functionalist one of "recognising", "setting apart" or "publicly consecrating" a person for ministry, rather than "effecting an ontological change" in said person. This view of blessing seems somewhat similar in its approach.

[ 18. May 2015, 10:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
To add: if one is being cynical (which I'm not), one could suggest that the definition of blessing has been written in such a way as to please parties of varying views on this DH issue.

Oh I'm sure it has. What I'm wondering is whether it will please anybody as a result.

It seems to fall quite a long way short of the ringing endorsement I think some SSM proponents would seek, but it goes a lot further than opponents would like (comments read include "so, the EPUdF has just left the church of Jesus Christ"...).

To my mind it looks like as welcoming an accommodation as they feel they can manage in good conscience and with a large consensus. Taken thus, then I personally quite like it too.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

So the EPUdF now has a very topical 'unique selling point' in its favour. That surely makes strategic sense.

I understand that French conservative Christians in other denominations have never been very keen on this organisation (perhaps the feeling has been mutual?), so their opinion is hardly a big deal.

Liberal French Protestants might be underwhelmed by the wording, but perhaps the real issue is whether 'ordinary' French gay couples will begin to approach the churches for these blessings. Otherwise it's just a theological game for the (very small number of) initiated, surely?

(BTW, the link doesn't work for me.)

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I understand that French conservative Christians in other denominations have never been very keen on this organisation (perhaps the feeling has been mutual?), so their opinion is hardly a big deal.

It's a big deal in France because it could, potentially, mark an unbridgeable semantic gap between 'protestant' and 'evangelical', all the more so in that the media take has basically been "French pastors allowed to bless SSM".

One neo-pentecostal denomination has already rushed out a statement to the effect that they won't be doing any such blessing thank you very much.

My position has long been that French evos ignore their protestant older brothers and their heritage at their (long-term) peril.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

It's a big deal in France because it could, potentially, mark an unbridgeable semantic gap between 'protestant' and 'evangelical', all the more so in that the media take has basically been "French pastors allowed to bless SSM".

One neo-pentecostal denomination has already rushed out a statement to the effect that they won't be doing any such blessing thank you very much.

My position has long been that French evos ignore their protestant older brothers and their heritage at their (long-term) peril.

It must be hard for the growing evangelical churches to be expected to pay ongoing obeisance to the historical groups when these groups are, as you say, declining in numerical strength and presumably in presence.

I do realise that the French media sees Protestants in a rather single-noted way, but I'm not sure why French evangelicals should try to dance to the same tune just to avoid media confusion. The secular French media is probably always going to misunderstand the diversity within Protestantism, and it'll never be particularly friendly to evangelicalism.

To me it's not so much about paying obeisance as recognising that the Gospel was present in France prior to 1945 and drawing some lessons from past experience. If the evos turn their backs on historic protestantism solely because of SSM, they will be throwing the baby out with the bathwater in my view.

The baby being the ability to listen to and recognise brethren with opposing views and deal with this state of affairs in a mature fashion that is more in keeping with the Gospel than knee-jerk reactions.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

That's not a problem unique to French evangelical churches. Far too many evangelical churches around the world barely recognise the presence of other protestant churches.

I suspect that many French evangelicals, like other evangelicals elsewhere, fear that the only 'lessons' to be learned from the more mainstream Christian groups is that when you start (and continue) to liberalise your teachings and practice, decline is sure to follow. SSM doesn't have to be read as liberalisation, but few theologians and public Christians figures seem willing or able to argue that point convincingly.

Regarding the evangelical arrogance you mention, maybe that's partly the outcome of youth, and also of cultural isolation; after all, French evangelicals have had to fight their corner in the shadow of both the historical Protestants churches and the RCC.

OTOH, French evangelicals are regularly faced with the the dominant RCC, which they see sticking firmly to its guns on SSM; perhaps this gives them courage to maintain their own position on this issue? By contrast, British evangelicals have the ever-shifting CofE as the dominant national religious presence, which will obviously lead to a less clear-cut flow of influences.

I don't know. In any case, you say that the historical Protestants have a higher profile than the evangelicals in France, so it's not as if evangelicals are controlling things.

quote:
French evangelicals are regularly faced with the the dominant RCC, which they see sticking firmly to its guns on SSM; perhaps this gives them courage to maintain their own position on this issue?

Most evangelicals see the RCC as anathema, but not a few top thinkers actually feel closer to it than to liberal protestantism, largely on issues of ethics.

My take is that French conservative evangelicals are functionally more sacramentalist than protestants.

quote:
you say that the historical Protestants have a higher profile than the evangelicals in France, so it's not as if evangelicals are controlling things.
They are far more numerous and vociferous.

The CNEF (National Council of Evangelicals in France), which claims to represent 70% of French evangelicals, has rushed out a declaration which embodies everything I can't stand about it in terms of kneejerkness. Flat-out, thoughtless rejection followed by an open threat of conflict. Idiots.

quote:
My take is that French conservative evangelicals are functionally more sacramentalist than protestants.

Which may well reflect how they think about the definition of 'bleessing' that you translated for us. If you're a died in the wool memorialist then you're used to symbolic acts that don't actually have any ontological effect. So, a blessing as defined in your OP would make perfect sense. However, a blessing that effects ontological change would be a more 'sacramentalist' view.

For what it's worth I find some parts of UK evangelicalism very sacramentalist on this point, even as they deny any sacramental understanding of Communion or Baptism. They will pray for Gods blessing on something, meaning that the prayer actually results in Gods approval on it - and because God approves therefore the venture will be a success. Some would also be very concerned about curses being effective too, which is the same thinking it seems to me.

I think you're on to something.

I also think I've found something that might catch out these particular con-evos. Many of them, as ardent proponents of believers' baptism, will nevertheless perform dedications of the infant children of believers.

Which one of my former colleagues described, with disarming frankness, as "infant baptism without the water"*.

I suspect most evangelicals (including me!) would be hard put to come up with a firm theological explanation of this act, but practice it fairly happily, as an accommodation to the expectations and aspirations of the parents. In some ways, what the EPUdF is proposing for blessing SSM couples amounts to scarcely more than that.

(I have now translated the full text of the EPUdF declaration, but I'm trying to get it reviewed by someone actually in the EPUdF before releasing it. I think "blessing" might make a Purg. thread).

==

*I recently turned this round to defend believers' baptism, to paedobaptists, as "confirmation with water" [Biased]

quote:
I recently turned this round to defend believers' baptism, to paedobaptists, as "confirmation with water" [Biased]

Fair enough ... but we Baptists would regard confirmation as something like "The way that baptism ought to be done, but sadly lacking the water, which really shouldn't have been used all those years ago" [Devil]

The ide of Infant Dedication is an interesting one; you are right both to say that it has grown up without too much theological basis and that it is often seen as "ensuring God's blessing" on the child in a somewhat superstitious way.

I could be unkind and suggest that it represents the echo of Infant Baptism among Christians who have rejected it, a desire for "something" to be done to the child. More theologically, parallels have, I'm sure, been drawn with Old Testament "blessings" offered to new-born children, and such stories as that of Samuel.

You do mention the fact that Dedication is (usually) offered only to children of parents within the Church community rather than to all-comers. This, I think, is crucial and it goes back not just to the question of "whether the child can make the baptismal promises themselves" but also to one's concept of the Church. If you regard the Church as part of "Christian society" and largely co-terminous with the Nation, then you can without compunction baptise children. But if you regard the Church as a group of believers who have intentionally covenanted together, then you can only Dedicated the children of its members. (FWIW there are some Evangelical Paedobaptists who would only baptise the children of professing Christians).

In our church we do - yes! - offer dedication to such parents. But we also offer the possibility of Thanksgiving and Blessing (whatever that may mean!) for any young children. See [url= http://www.rpc.ox.ac.uk/downloadlibrary/Regent's%20Reviews%204.2%20May.pdf ]p.40 of this publication[/url] for details and a review of a recent Baptist academic work on the subject.

{Note to host: can you fix the link neatly, please? I tried twice!}

[ 19. May 2015, 07:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
But if you regard the Church as a group of believers who have intentionally covenanted together, then you can only Dedicated the children of its members.

You are a closet covenant theologian and I claim my £5.

As far as I know, in baptist circles this practice is covered by hand-waving about "sphere of influence of the Church", but it really doesn't have any support in (ana)baptist theology that I'm aware of (no time to read the academic paper right now I'm afraid!).

quote:
You are a closet covenant theologian and I claim my £5.

5 Euros, surely, in this context ... better make it 10, the exchange rate's not too hot these days, and that will cover the commission. [Cool]

[ 19. May 2015, 08:08: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Most evangelicals see the RCC as anathema, but not a few top thinkers actually feel closer to it than to liberal protestantism, largely on issues of ethics.

Ecumenicalism in practice, then! You should be pleased about that at least.

quote:

The CNEF (National Council of Evangelicals in France), which claims to represent 70% of French evangelicals, has rushed out a declaration which embodies everything I can't stand about it in terms of kneejerkness. Flat-out, thoughtless rejection followed by an open threat of conflict. Idiots.

I read French, and it didn't look all that 'threatening' to me. I think it's always for the best if conservative churches clarify their position; at least noone can then claim to have been misled. Moderate Protestant Christians will now know to avoid them, if this is an issue they judge to be of key importance.

It might also be wise for moderate French Protestants to avoid adopting the American practice of whining about the vociferousness of evangelicals. Complaining about the overbearing confidence of other churches always strikes me as a sign of weakness in those who are doing the complaining. The moderate churches need to develop their own way of making themselves heard.

"Promoting cheap grace"... "will definitely have a negative impact on relations"... "will complicate relations with other churches"... There are more nuanced ways of expressing disagreement.

I don't think the established protestants are whining publicly, particularly. I'm ranting here, is all. [Smile]

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I think this comes out of a very French understanding of marriage. And I think it’s a fudge.

In advance of our recent nuptials, various GLE friends of ours would ask who was going to marry us (i.e. which pastor was going officiate at the wedding). Just to annoy them, husband en rouge, who is Very Naughty™ would look nonplussed and reply: “the Mayor” [Snigger] . This (a) is utterly correct and true and (b) exploded the heads of the GLEs. Apparently our church also has some sort of certificate for us to sign for our wedding – we take the view that we don’t mind signing if it makes them happy but it’s basically palpable nonsense because the religious ceremony doesn’t make you married in any meaningful sense and said “we celebrated your wedding” certificate isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. If they give us one to take home, I may have to come up with some creative use for it ‘cause I sure ain’t going to be using to prove that I’m married [Big Grin] . A minister of religion never marries anyone in France.

A religious wedding ceremony in France is only *ever* a blessing. Sensible ministers of religion know this, and can get in a lot of trouble if they don’t check that the couple are already legally married before carrying out a religious ceremony. For example, a Catholic priest who celebrated a nuptial mass without having checked the civil marriage certificate first would be in serious hot water in Rome.

On the other hand, I’m not so sure that Jean Dupont (Joe Public’s French cousin) has really understood the niceties of all this. Our GLE friends’ question comes from a view that the stop-off at the Mairie is just a bit of a perfunctory formality and the religious wedding is the real one. I know people who would probably consider themselves not really married if they had only had the civil ceremony. (I personally disagree, strongly.) The message has not filtered down to the bum in the pew that you are very much married in all respects once you leave the Mairie and all the religious ceremony does is blesses a marriage that already exists.

Which is why I think it’s a fudge. It’s all very well to say “this is a blessing” but that’s all a religious marriage ceremony ever is in France. If the conservative evangelicals are up in arms about this, I think it’s because they equate “carry out a blessing ceremony” with “marry someone before God”. And I think the Protestant Federation knows that. “We are going to bless gay couples” pretty much amounts to “we are going to celebrate gay weddings” in a lot of minds. Or so it seems to me.

I'm sure you're right. Yet the situation you describe is common in many countries - e.g. Holland or Portugal.

It can produce some strange problems though. When I lived in West Africa a young man was going to get wed in church (well, a young couple, obviously, but it's the man I'm thinking of).

On Friday they duly presented themselves at the Town Hall and did the legal deed. That evening the young man went out with his friends and got riotously drunk. News of this got back to the church Elders who immediately met together and decided to "put him under church discipline". This meant that he could not carry out any ministry in his church, could not take Communion and - crucially - could not be married in church.

So the church ceremony (which was regarded by most of the Christians as the "proper wedding") was cancelled. And the Church was left with an unintended conundrum: were they married or not? Could they move in together and enjoy conjugal bliss? Legally there was nothing to discuss - but how did they stand before God? No-one was quite sure, it was a mess.

The situation was only resolved finally when Jacinto "came out of discipline" a few months later and the church "wedding" finally took place. I'm afraid I don't know what the living arrangements were during the interim period. If nothing else, this shows the effect of a somewhat legalistic Church taking too-rapid action.

[ 19. May 2015, 17:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
And I think the Protestant Federation knows that. “We are going to bless gay couples” pretty much amounts to “we are going to celebrate gay weddings” in a lot of minds. Or so it seems to me.

I agree broadly with much of what you say, but note it's the EPUdF, not the whole French Protestant Federation, that is going to do the blessing.

According to my intel at present, it may well cause some (but not all) of the evo denominations that are members of the FPF to leave, which I think the CNEF would love.

If there's opportunism in the air, it's from the CNEF, trying to put one over the FPF using this as leverage.

(And FYI, the catholic marriage certificate is even more likely to create confusion. The similarity is the functionally sacramentalist view of marriage).

quote:
Apparently our church also has some sort of certificate for us to sign for our wedding – we take the view that we don’t mind signing if it makes them happy but it’s basically palpable nonsense because the religious ceremony doesn’t make you married in any meaningful sense and said “we celebrated your wedding” certificate isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Not 'married in any meaningful sense'? I'm sure this is not what you mean, but you make it sound as if your religious ceremony was fairly pointless, as if you could have simply thrown a party and done without the meaningless religious words. This is a strange thing for a Christian to imply.... Most people, religious or otherwise, surely see a marriage as more than simply a legal arrangement.

I've heard it said that many French Muslims don't bother with the legal ceremony at all, but just go with the religious one. They may not be legally married according to the French state but in their minds they presumably are married. I suppose the concept of Sharia law, being much stronger than any Christian equivalent, concentrates the mind far more than a mere Christian blessing would do.

quote:

A Catholic priest who celebrated a nuptial mass without having checked the civil marriage certificate first would be in serious hot water in Rome.

Apparently there was a case in the USA where a RC priest, perhaps a bishop, was given the authority to carry out a religious marriage ceremony for a disadvantaged RC cohabiting couple who discovered that they'd lose some of their benefits if they entered into a legal marriage. I don't know if such a situation would ever arise in France, or indeed anywhere else.

[ 19. May 2015, 21:53: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

I mean it more than you realise. Our religious ceremony didn’t make us married, for the simple reason that we were already married, and I don’t think we could get any “more” married. I personally don’t buy the idea that you can be “half married”. You either are or you aren’t, and for my money the civil ceremony is valid. That’s certainly the one we’ll be relying on for the purposes of filing our taxes together. Granted this is all worldly affairs, but the New Testament says that believers are supposed to submit to authorities, which is why I strongly disagree with the position that you aren’t married before God if you’ve only had a civil ceremony.

I don’t quite grok how God wouldn’t be listening to “do you, Mademoiselle Firstname Middlename la vie en rouge, take Monsieur Firstname Middlename Supplementary Catholic Middlename Camembert for husband?” “Yes” just because you weren’t in a church and it wasn’t a minister of religion asking the question.

AIUI, the Mayor’s power to marry you ultimately comes from God in any case, since it is God who sets up worldly authorities. I personally think some religious people don’t take this bit seriously enough. It’s not just a formality IMO. Admittedly I am not a sacramentalist.

This doesn’t mean that our religious ceremony had no value – far from it. I would definitely have felt I was missing something if there hadn’t been one. However, it didn’t “make us married”. It blessed the marriage that had already been performed, which is what this thread was all about. Like I said, I think talking about the meaning of blessing in ceremonies for same-sex couples is a bit of a fudge. This arises precisely from the confusion about what part of the process results in a couple being married. I say it’s the legal bit at the Mairie. Religious believers often view the question differently.

Off topic slightly (if we want to keep talking about the religious status of civil marriages, I suppose we need to go to Purgatory), but I can’t see why anyone would only have a religious ceremony. The French State still offers rather a lot of advantages to married couples in the tax and inheritance stakes, and it doesn’t make any sense to me to bypass them.

One could take the position that your were separating yourself as far as possible from the state. Therefore, you could have the church ceremony and consider yourself married and get on with living together. Then by not having the legal civil marriage you forego some financial benefits, but do so from a principled position of separation from the state as far as possible. A principled stand that doesn't cost you anything isn't worth anything either.

quote:
Off topic slightly (if we want to keep talking about the religious status of civil marriages, I suppose we need to go to Purgatory), but I can’t see why anyone would only have a religious ceremony. The French State still offers rather a lot of advantages to married couples in the tax and inheritance stakes, and it doesn’t make any sense to me to bypass them.

Gens du voyage (historic travellers) were formerly unable to marry legally because they were not allowed to remain in a municipality long enough for the banns to go through.

Changing this was one of the many social advances Gypsy revival instigator Clément Le Cossec achieved.

These days, many still don't marry so the wives can get single-parent family allowance, it being easier in a bunch of caravans to conceal who is sharing the same bed with who [Big Grin]

Back on topic...

quote:
Like I said, I think talking about the meaning of blessing in ceremonies for same-sex couples is a bit of a fudge.
I'm beginning to think of fudge as yummy rather than messy.

I think the EPudF declaration does have an air of fudge about it - but then again so does the declaration of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15. Like that declaration, the EPudF one is in response to a practical, contemporary and potentially divisive problem. As in Acts 15, it pragmatically allows for an accommodation to an overarching principle. As in Acts 15, it does so with a view to removing hindrances to access to the Gospel. With all this I can fully identify.

quote:
This arises precisely from the confusion about what part of the process results in a couple being married. I say it’s the legal bit at the Mairie. Religious believers often view the question differently.
To clarify my thinking on this point, Catholics are sacramentalists as regards marriage, and I think some Lutherans tend that way too (my local EPudF colleague is a Lutheran and was one of those who signed the petition pleading for no vote in the synod).

Thinking protestants and evos are in my experience quite clear about the fact that it's the civil wedding that counts, but some do indeed have a rather superstitious, functionally sacramental view of wedding - sometimes even of believer's baptism.

[ 20. May 2015, 12:50: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

quote:
Thus (translation mine):
quote:
Blessing involves offering a sign and a declaration expressing the love of God and his presence; it is not a magical act that somehow requires God to look on us with favour; nor does it automatically mean he approves of our undertakings... Blessing is a true source of peace and hope, opening up the future and establishing a dyanmic of renewed life... Blessing bears witness ot the presence of God with us in our successes, in our confident progress forward as well as in our wanderings. It does not grant us immunity from the uncertainties of human life, or the risks of our projects, but supports our trust in the benevolence of God.
I'd be interested to hear what denizens of DH have to say about this declaration and particularly this understanding of "blessing".
What I think about the declaration: Gay marriage is something about which Christians disagree. It is a good thing that those Christians who are gay, and wish to marry, and make that decision in good faith are able to do so in churches that believe that this is right and proper, and its right that those churches should exercise that ministry with awareness that large parts of the Church disagree. So I'm fully in favour.

The idea of blessing: I'd like to see how that works out in more circumstances that same sex marriage. Suppose you (generic "you") endorse this idea of blessing: would you therefore bless:

A second marriage?
A cohabitation?
A divorce?
A decision to convert a conventional marriage into an "open" one?
A decision to have an abortion?
A person standing for election as a part of a mainstream political party?
A person standing for election as a part of an extremist political party?
An act of non-violent political protest?
An act of violent political protest?
A decision to undergo voluntary euthanasia?
A decision to undertake involuntary euthanasia?

For the avoidance of doubt, the only thing I am saying those things have in common with same-sex marriage (or each other) is that they are controversial. For any particular instance, some Christians might say the action is good, or at least, permitted, and others that it is sinful. It seems to me that they could all be "blessed" in the sense of expressing God's love and presence, if "blessing" in that sense carries absolutely no implication of approval.

And yet there are some (not all) items on my list that I'd have qualms about a church "blessing". I'd have no problem "praying for" any of those people and circumstances - including praying for God's presence, help, guidance and comfort even if I couldn't honestly pray for their success. "Blessing" suggests a slightly higher threshold than that for me. "Blessing" suggests some sort of offering of the thing to God with a request that he sanctify it and make it his. A priest (or other believer) probably ought not to bless something that she is pretty sure that God disapproves of. A public blessing therefore seems to me to carry at least some measure of endorsement. Most of us could probably think of things that we consider that it would be inappropriate for the Church to bless.

Even if they don't want to say it explicitly, I think this church is necessarily saying "We do not consider homosexuality so outrageously and obviously sinful that it is beyond the pale for formal Christian celebration". That's a rather weak endorsement, but it is at least a sort of endorsement. It moves same-sex marriage from the category of "wrong" to the category of "we can disagree about this". It is an endorsement I'm happy to see a church give, but I do not think that "blessing" would make much sense without a degree of conviction that the thing being blessed was within the reasonable scope of Christian disagreement on controversial matters (and such a declaration is, of course, itself controversial).

Great post with much food for thought. I wonder what the relationship between "blessing" "accommodation" and "endorsement" might be?

quote:
I strongly disagree with the position that you aren’t married before God if you’ve only had a civil ceremony.

So would you say that those who've only had a religious ceremony aren't really married in the sight of God? Or just not married in the sight of the almighty French state?

Lots of French couples don't bother to marry at all, I understand, so perhaps legal marriage is not all that well-regarded there in any case. I can imagine that the popular indifference to the legal state of marriage might be mirrored, paradoxically, by various religious groups - although not by supporters of SSM, of course.

As it happens, I think it's quite a good idea to separate legal marriage ceremonies and religious ceremonies. But from my point of view, that doesn't make the religious ceremonies less than marriages; it just makes them legally invalid according to a secular jurisdiction. Some countries, after all, recognise the concept of the common-law marriage, which involves no legal ceremony.

However, to get back on topic, I suppose that viewing all religious ceremonies as mere blessings makes it harder for gay couples to argue that churches are discriminating against them by not engaging in same-sex 'marriage language'. After all, who cares what kind of liturgical language churches use if these ceremonies aren't considered to be weddings in the first place?

quote:
I can imagine that the popular indifference to the legal state of marriage might be mirrored, paradoxically, by various religious groups - although not by supporters of SSM, of course.

Why 'of course'? One of the puzzles of this issue for me is that the pro-SSM camp is so keen to achieve something so many others, especially less conservative people, allegedly deem irrelevant. I can't believe that tax reasons alone are responsible for this passion, and suspect it shows legal marriage may indeed have some kind of higher, ill-defined importance in supporters' minds.

quote:
However, to get back on topic, I suppose that viewing all religious ceremonies as mere blessings makes it harder for gay couples to argue that churches are discriminating against them by not engaging in same-sex 'marriage language'. After all, who cares what kind of liturgical language churches use if these ceremonies aren't considered to be weddings in the first place?
As I understand it the States of Guernsey are or were hoping to do the opposite: remove the word "marriage" from civil unions of all kinds; those wanting "marriage" would have to find a church willing to do a religious ceremony.

By the way, I've realised my thread title is inaccurate. The vote is in favour of blessing same-sex couples, not the marriage.

Maybe a host could edit the title accordingly?

This emerged during the more careful translation process. The translation is still being reviewed, but I hope to upload it soonish.

Blessing the couple makes it even more fudge-like. Who wouldn't be able to offer a blessing to people? Especially if you take seriously words about "blessing those who curse you", even the people with whom you have the most profound disagreements should still have a blessing, right? Even if it's "May the Lord bless you with a conviction of your sin, and the strength to repent of your wicked lifestyle"

They could have at least gone for blessing the relationship which would still allow those who wish to reserve the word "marriage" for the subset of opposite-sex formalised relationships some wriggle-room.

quote:
As I understand it the States of Guernsey are or were hoping to do the opposite: remove the word "marriage" from civil unions of all kinds; those wanting "marriage" would have to find a church willing to do a religious ceremony.
That's interesting, as before the 2014 Parliamentary debate my local MP who is, I believe, a Catholic wrote to all religious leaders in the constituency and made the same distinction between "civil union" and "marriage". For him, it was a "no-brainer" that he should support the proposed legislation but this did not impinge on his religious beliefs.

What I think he forgot, however, is that in many churches the "legal" and the "religious" ceremonies are conflated. Clearly this will not happen in the Catholic or Anglican churches, but some other churches are working (?struggling) towards a decision on SSM and a few (the Quakers and Unitarians, I believe) have already registered buildings for it. In such circumstances the distinction between "legal" and "spiritual" is an impractical one.

[ 21. May 2015, 07:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:
Why 'of course'? One of the puzzles of this issue for me is that the pro-SSM camp is so keen to achieve something so many others, especially less conservative people, allegedly deem irrelevant. I can't believe that tax reasons alone are responsible for this passion, and suspect it shows legal marriage may indeed have some kind of higher, ill-defined importance in supporters' minds.

It is not just taxes but probably more importantly automatic legal rights and responsibilities. There are cases of the legal next-of-kin removing the partner from the hospital or the funeral (some times not even saying where the body is buried). Note that if a person dies the body is under the control of the next-of-kin unless the courts rule otherwise; a will does not change this (though it could say that those that failed to follow the decedent's wishes don't inherit anything). Now one can make legal arrangements now to emulate most of these but that costs money and time and are easier to challenge in court. However nothing can replace marriage in a variety of laws including international law (e.g., immigration) unless each law or treaty is modified (in which case it is probably easier just to extend legal marriage).

Yes, I understand all that, and I'm not trying to minimise those aspects. Indeed, things like pension reversion rights are one of the things that changed my mind on the issue of civil SSM in France.

But those issues were not portrayed as the core issue in the public debate. I found out about them by a) conducting a funeral b) cross-examining the speaker in a really boring pension insurance presentation!

In case anyone's interested, here is a fairly final unofficial translation.

quote:
"Promoting cheap grace"... "will definitely have a negative impact on relations"... "will complicate relations with other churches"... There are more nuanced ways of expressing disagreement.

One of the reasons why these admittedly negative comments don't disturb me very much is that I'm not sure what 'conflict' looks like in a French Protestant setting. Is it about not attending another church's fundraising do? Fisticuffs at the ministers' meeting? Smaller congregations at ecumenical services?

Good relations with local churches are desirable, but it's hard to imagine that a great relationship between two very different churches would completely collapse as a result of this vote. If it did, then it couldn't have been such a great relationship to start with. But perhaps the ministers might get a bit frosty with each other? I suppose that counts as 'conflict'.

quote:
quote:
I can imagine that the popular indifference to the legal state of marriage might be mirrored, paradoxically, by various religious groups - although not by supporters of SSM, of course.

My sense is that supporters of SSM don't have a higher regard for marriage than anyone else; what they have is a high regard for equality. Access to marriage represents social acceptance and equality.

Moreover, some websites, both for and against, imply that marriage is just a staging post on the road towards a much more thorough and radical re-working of our attitudes towards the family. Such expectations are probably not normative, but they do exist.

[ 23. May 2015, 10:29: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

To be clear:

quote:
some websites, both for and against, imply that SSM is just a staging post ...

[ 23. May 2015, 10:32: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
I'm not sure what 'conflict' looks like in a French Protestant setting. Is it about not attending another church's fundraising do? Fisticuffs at the ministers' meeting? Smaller congregations at ecumenical services?

On Facebook, it looks like evos saying things about the EPUdF like "let them be cursed", "they are anathema".

It means people writing off others who declare Jesus is Lord as thoroughly evil.

And it means up-and-coming evo middle managers making a grab for power and influence on the back of what is, for most people, a marginal issue, but in a way that's terribly exploitative of genuine human anguish and emotional suffering.

French protestantism is fragmented enough as it is without adding grist to the mill. And as I said earlier, wilful ignorance of the protestant heritage runs the risk of undoing the evos. There is no C of E where the twain meet.

CNEF evangelicalism defines itself in terms of exclusion; FPF protestantism (including some evangelicals) defines itself in terms of inclusion, and I'm much more at home in that environment.

quote:
My sense is that supporters of SSM don't have a higher regard for marriage than anyone else; what they have is a high regard for equality. Access to marriage represents social acceptance and equality.

Moreover, some websites, both for and against, imply that marriage is just a staging post on the road towards a much more thorough and radical re-working of our attitudes towards the family. Such expectations are probably not normative, but they do exist.

So I think there are at least two opposite strands at work in the issue of SSM. There is a strand, in which there are probably more believers, that seeks acceptance within the context of the institution of marriage; there is another which is promoting a far more radical remodelling of social relations.

While SSM may have been an aim for both strands, I'm not sure it's going to satisfy either in the long term - which is one of the reservations I have about it. I'm broadly in favour of SSM as an accommodation, but much less so as part of an ideological agenda.

[ 23. May 2015, 11:50: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
I'm broadly in favour of SSM as an accommodation, but much less so as part of an ideological agenda.

The thought of Marriage Equality as an ideological agenda makes me shudder. Ideological agendas and the personal life of individuals make extremely poor bedfellows.

quote:
And as I said earlier, wilful ignorance of the protestant heritage runs the risk of undoing the evos.

You did say this earlier, but I'm not sure what you mean. In what sense will they be undone? And if they're such an unpleasant bunch, wouldn't that outcome be for the best?

What you said about the CofE is interesting. Some sociologists might say that the very lack of a culturally dominant moderate Protestant group in France is exactly what has allowed some of the independent conservative elements to become so noisy and noncompliant.

Judging from other denominations elsewhere, these groups may eventually begin to feel less confident about their growth in France and their doctrinal identity. At that point they'll become more temperate and ecumenical. Until that happens you'll just have to build up strong relations with the most congenial groups, and leave the rest to follow their own destiny, whatever it is.

quote:
In what sense will they be undone? And if they're such an unpleasant bunch, wouldn't that outcome be for the best?

By disconnecting themselves from the heritage that preserved the Scriptures and got them into the vernacular, they run the risk of shallow theological thinking, isolationism, sectarianism and millenialism; organisationally, they are likely to waste a generation or three reinventing the wheel; the heritage of the declining EPUdF runs the risk of being lost altogether.

There are some fine evangelical minds out there, but in my experience people in historic protestant denominations actually take engaging with Scripture more seriously than many self-professing evos.

But all this is a tangent...

Posted by Bran Stark (# 15252) on :

quote:
In its synod this weekend it voted overwhelmingly in favour of allowing the liturgical blessing of same-sex marriages (all marriages in France are first and foremost civil marriages; there is no such thing as a church-only marriage).

Presumably there is nothing in the law to stop a couple from getting a church marriage and not a civil marriage, though, is there?

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
quote:

Presumably there is nothing in the law to stop a couple from getting a church marriage and not a civil marriage, though, is there?
No. But has been pointed out above, they would not be married in the eyes of the law, and would be regarded as two single people living together, not as a couple with the rights of those who are married.

John

quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:

In the Church I served in West Africa, you could only get a "church" marriage (= blessing) if you had first had a civil (= legal) ceremony. That didn't seem at all strange, but logical.

However, no-one put forward the idea that "civil marriage was meaningless" or anything similar. In fact, the Church was very keen on it as women's rights in the country had a tradition of being poor, and being civilly married considerably strengthen them.

Also, at an earlier stage, the Church had perforce recognised the validity of "traditional marriage" (the African equivalent of "jumping the broomstick"), as only people with certain educational qualifications could get legally married in the colonial period up to 1974. It therefore supported the new Government's position that "civil marriage" should be available to all.

[ 24. May 2015, 07:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
[Conservative evangelicals] run the risk of shallow theological thinking, isolationism, sectarianism and millenialism; organisationally, they are likely to waste a generation or three reinventing the wheel; the heritage of the declining EPUdF runs the risk of being lost altogether.

There are some fine evangelical minds out there, but in my experience people in historic protestant denominations actually take engaging with Scripture more seriously than many self-professing evos.

But all this is a tangent...

It's relevant in the sense that the issue of SSM and/or blessings highlights the general pattern of things quite well.

'Reinventing the wheel' is what almost all young Christian movements do. They begin in a flurry of world-denying unintellectual (self-)righteousness, but after a century or four they're more accommodating to the world and are ready to debate, for example, how blessings and/or marriage can biblically be extended to SS couples. It all fits in with church-sect theory, as far as I understand it.

IOW, it's always the job of historical churches to engage in high-minded, serious critique of the Scriptures, because that's where social progress naturally leads them. But conservative evangelicals, by definition, haven't reached that stage. The French ones, living as they do in the modern interconnected world and not in some cultural backwater, are well aware of the trajectory that probably awaits them, I'm sure. And SSM represents the most topical and visible staging post on the route away from their current identity. It's hardly surprising that as a young movement they want to fight against it.

Social success in the French context will encourage some of them to take on the cerebral and tolerant Protestant mantle. Other groups, though, will always have more urgent priorities than deciding to conduct SS blessings.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Eutychus asked my thoughts on this, so here are my thoughts...

I'm pretty much in agreement with La vie en rouge about the whole thing.

As far as French law is concerned, being blessed by your church has exactly the same amount of significance as being blessed by your tennis club.

One can make some conclusions fairly readily as to why there is so much interest in the former and not the latter, but it's a point worth making because it draws attention to the central question: what is a blessing actually for?

And I think it draws attention to the fudge. Again, I agree with La vie en rouge, and I also agree with Alan that describing it as a blessing of the couple rather that a blessing of the marriage only makes it more fudgy. Despite the attempts to say that blessing is not 'approval', it's rather hard to avoid noticing that this is based on (1) blessing 2 people as a couple, not as 2 separate members of the church, and (2) blessing them when they are getting married.

Surely, the definition of 'blessing' they're putting forward is something that is equally applicable to all individual members of the church, at any time? I thought God's presence was supposed to be promised to us all the time. Linking that kind of blessing to a wedding makes it sound like God is a friend who turns up at our parties.

The reality is that same sex couples ARE seeking blessings as a sign of approval and welcome - in pretty much the same way that they would hope for signs of approval and welcome from their tennis club. It's just that churches achieve this by talking about God and laying hands on people, whereas tennis clubs achieve it by including people in social events and smiling.

[ 26. May 2015, 03:19: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Thanks, orfeo
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The reality is that same sex couples ARE seeking blessings as a sign of approval

I note what you say about approval, but the text does explicitly say
quote:
neither does it imply his approval of our plans
So won't same-sex couples feel they've been sold short?

I don't think that the 'tennis club' approach confers approval either.
quote:
including people in social events and smiling
doth not approval make. I suspect not a few anti-SSM churches would do this with same-sex couples.

I think more research is needed into what is meant by "blessing"...

[ 26. May 2015, 05:25: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Can you actually be an anti-SSM church if you never actually show any sign of anti-SSM behaviour?

I'm not only talking about including people and smiling. I'm talking about using words like "husband" and "married" and all the other little things that indicate acceptance that this is a couple, and a married one at not.

Homosexuals are not mind readers. We're not actually going to be hurt by a private intellectual notion that same-sex marriage isn't legitimate, if there is no outward sign of this notion.

quote:
Can you actually be an anti-SSM church if you never actually show any sign of anti-SSM behaviour?

I'm not only talking about including people and smiling. I'm talking about using words like "husband" and "married" and all the other little things that indicate acceptance that this is a couple, and a married one at not.

Our church, being independent, doesn't have a position on SSM as yet, but I'd like to think that yes we would do all this.

This should be especially possible for French Christians with a non-sacramental view of marriage. As far as I'm concerned, if the state has married a couple, they are married.

(One of the things I'm realising going over all this again is that the interactions between legal marriage and a non-sacramental Christian view of marriage are not self-evident. This spills over in my mind to wondering exactly what a "blessing" is if it's not somehow sacramental, and why non-sacramentalists perform them...).

quote:
Homosexuals are not mind readers. We're not actually going to be hurt by a private intellectual notion that same-sex marriage isn't legitimate, if there is no outward sign of this notion.
Riiiight. An absence of any sign that SSM is not seen as socially legitimate would, to my mind, be pretty straightforward in our church. The presence of a sign that it is theologically legitimate (e.g. blessing a married couple) is more problematic for me (I'm just trying to be frank here).

[ 26. May 2015, 08:34: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
I note what you say about approval, but the text does explicitly say
quote:
neither does it imply his approval of our plans
So won't same-sex couples feel they've been sold short?
By who?

I think there's a whole lot of unpacking that needs to be done - conceptually or theologically - about whether it makes sense to present an action in church as God's blessing, rather than the church's blessing.

It seems to me that if God is fine with same-sex couples, he's probably been doing his level best to bless them - to assure them of his presence - for a long time. Back to when churches and even governments were outright persecuting them.

Alternatively, if God is not fine with same-sex couples, no amount of church ritual is going to achieve the blessing being sought.

I can't think of anyone with any kind of position on this subject who argues that God has recently changed his mind on this whole issue. The argument seems largely focused on whether or not churches are accurately reflecting God's views.

quote:
quote:
Riiiight. An absence of any sign that SSM is not seen as socially legitimate would, to my mind, be pretty straightforward in our church. The presence of a sign that it is theologically legitimate (e.g. blessing a married couple) is more problematic for me (I'm just trying to be frank here).
I don't think you can separate "social legitimacy" and "theological legitimacy" in this fashion. A church is not a social club. It's not a high society gathering where one does not talk about impolite subjects like politics and religion.

If you're suggesting that it would somehow be possible for a homosexual to be a member of a church, be known to be homosexual, and yet remain blissfully unaware that that church's theological position is against homosexual practice, then I'd have to ask exactly what the point of this church is.

[ 26. May 2015, 09:41: Message edited by: orfeo ]

LONG ADDENDUM TO MY LAST POST: Or more specifically, what the point of this church's anti-SSM position is.

Seriously, if a gay church member won't even know that that is the position, the church might as well not have a position.

And if the gay church member WILL know that's the position, then it's going to affect their sense of acceptance, regardless of how much "social acceptance", as you're describing it, they receive.

Trust me, I've been there. Not with a whole church but with an individual. One of the people I naturally got on with extremely well, and had worked with closely over the years, let me know (as nicely as possible) after I came out that her theological position was firmly, rigidly even, that homosexuality is wrong.

You seem to be toying with a fantasy that this somehow wouldn't have affected my sense of being loved and accepted by her. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Of course it coloured my interactions with her.

When I saw her sometime after leaving that church (I left because a new minister shared her views), she was delighted to see me, gave me a big hug and started talking about how much she missed me.

And while I exchanged pleasantries with her with a smile, inside do you know what I was thinking?

"I'm still just as gay as I was."

I'm still the person you rejected.

It is simply impossible to treat social acceptance of me as a separate topic from having a theological position that says something about me is wrong. I'm not saying that being gay is my entire identity, but it is part of my identity.

The idea that it's somehow feasible for a church to be completely "socially accepting" of same-sex couples while being theologically against them makes about as much sense as saying that a church could be completely accepting of a German couple while holding the theological position that Germans are destined for hell.

[ 26. May 2015, 10:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
The idea that it's somehow feasible for a church to be completely "socially accepting" of same-sex couples while being theologically against them makes about as much sense as saying that a church could be completely accepting of a German couple while holding the theological position that Germans are destined for hell.

That makes sense to me, but it wasn't what I was picking up from your entire post here.

It's also why I asked about your feelings on the declaration. Could it not be interpreted precisely thus? It goes a lot further than many con-evos like, but is doesn't read like a ringing endorsement either, does it? It rests on the provision that God can bless behaviour of which he potentially disapproves.

[ 26. May 2015, 14:30: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

I've started a Purg thread to explore "blessing" further.

quote:
It's also why I asked about your feelings on the declaration. Could it not be interpreted precisely thus? It goes a lot further than many con-evos like, but is doesn't read like a ringing endorsement either, does it? It rests on the provision that God can bless behaviour of which he potentially disapproves.

I already said I agree with La vie en rouge that it's a fudge. They're trying to have a bet each way in a manner that is not really coherent.

Posted by Steve Langton (# 17601) on :

by Orfeo;
quote:

This takes for granted that being 'gay' is the same kind of thing as an ethnic or racial difference. It ain't necessarily so....

It takes it for granted because the vast majority of people who are not heterosexual take it for granted.

It only ever seems to be heterosexuals who think that sexual orientation isn't something that is part and parcel of who people are. But then, do any of these people act on the notion that choice is involved, and choose to become gay?

There's a Simpsons episode about it, where Homer decided to be gay.

But no, I've never actually heard of anyone who claims that they themselves chose in that fashion. There's only ever the implication that someone else chose being gay.

quote:
I already said I agree with La vie en rouge that it's a fudge. They're trying to have a bet each way in a manner that is not really coherent.

And I wonder whether fudges are all bad in the end, particularly perhaps in a transitional phase - e.g. Council of Jerusalem.

A bit of fudge is good. A diet entirely of fudge is unhealthy.

quote:
quote:

And I wonder whether fudges are all bad in the end, particularly perhaps in a transitional phase - e.g. Council of Jerusalem.
Different question. I'm not going to comment on the political environment that a French church finds itself in, in relation to other churches, its own members and the general French public.

by Orfeo;
quote:
But then, do any of these people act on the notion that choice is involved, and choose to become gay?
Where choice is involved in being 'gay', and is not involved in being black or German, is in choosing to perform certain acts. By definition actions are matters of choice and subject to moral critique of rightness, fitness, appropriateness, etc. Being black or German is not a moral act by the choice of the person concerned; sexual intercourse is a moral act by choice on the part of those involved.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
by Orfeo;
quote:
But then, do any of these people act on the notion that choice is involved, and choose to become gay?
Where choice is involved in being 'gay', and is not involved in being black or German, is in choosing to perform certain acts. By definition actions are matters of choice and subject to moral critique of rightness, fitness, appropriateness, etc. Being black or German is not a moral act by the choice of the person concerned; sexual intercourse is a moral act by choice on the part of those involved.
Steve, that only works if you define gay as "indulges in gay sex". Before I was in a relationship, I was still just as straight as I am now.

And, that was an entirely conscious decision you had made. Choosing to be heterosexual. Nothing at all to do with the intrinsic and unalterable nature of who you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
by Orfeo;
quote:
Steve, that only works if you define gay as "indulges in gay sex". Before I was in a relationship, I was still just as straight as I am now.
Spot on, Karl.

It is in fact well established that conservative Christians tend to hear "gay" as meaning "having homosexual intercourse", whereas actual gays don't mean anything of the kind. There was an excellent survey on this a few years ago in the USA.

Why conservative Christians misread it in that way, I've no idea. It seems to tie into the related idea that homosexuality is all about sex, not love, whereas somehow straight relationships are about love.

I'm sure I've pointed out before on this forum that I hadn't actually spent all my years in the closet having sex with people. I had no sexual encounters with either men or women. It seems very, very odd to suggest that this somehow means my sexual orientation was unknowable.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A bit of fudge is good. A diet entirely of fudge is unhealthy.

Quotesfile.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
It is in fact well established that conservative Christians tend to hear "gay" as meaning "having homosexual intercourse", whereas actual gays don't mean anything of the kind. There was an excellent survey on this a few years ago in the USA.

Why conservative Christians misread it in that way, I've no idea. It seems to tie into the related idea that homosexuality is all about sex, not love, whereas somehow straight relationships are about love.

It's probable that such attitudes were forged as a result of generations of cultural conditioning.
Go back to the time when heterosexuality was the overriding and dominant norm, a time when the blessing on sex only existed when it was contained in the sanctity of a hetero marriage assumed to be based on love. Any form of desire that existed outside of such a model would be thought of as being based on sex.

Times may have changed, attitudes take a lot longer to change.

by orfeo;
quote:

I at least am well aware of the passage where David refers to Jonathan's love as "greater than the love of women", yet it seems at least unlikely that they broke the Levitical prohibition on intercourse.

Essentially there seems to be no biblical problem about men loving men; as I said above, it is what is done that is the problem.

I've more to say about this but just got back from a long day ... I think we'll all be better off if I tackle it tomorrow in a less tired state.

Steve, with all respect, that might be one valid interpretation but it has a great deal of unreality about it when compared to the way that churches actually treat homosexual people.

If people find out I'm gay, they don't generally ask a follow-up question about my sexual activity. They just go ahead and assume that I'm having sex. And furthermore, I suspect many of them assume that "sex" means anal intercourse.

[ 29. May 2015, 05:15: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

And bisexual people are assumed to be having sex with men and women simultaneously!

Is that precisely what you mean? Literally?

I'm still thinking through my response; I'm quite aware at this point that this is a debate with a lot of cross-purposes at work in it.

Much of current thinking about what it means to be 'gay' is based on what are essentially atheistic and materialistic interpretations of humanity which provides very different presuppositions.

quote:
I'm still thinking through my response; I'm quite aware at this point that this is a debate with a lot of cross-purposes at work in it.

Much of current thinking about what it means to be 'gay' is based on what are essentially atheistic and materialistic interpretations of humanity which provides very different presuppositions.

Orrrrr are gay people talking about how they view their sexuality. You know, since they would know.

Bottom line - gay people know much more about what being gay means than you or any other straight person does.

Do you also think that what it means to be straight is based on atheistic and materialistic interpretations of humanity? I'm guessing not. It's based on straight people's experiences. Same for being gay, or bisexual, or transgender, or genderqueer.

quote:

I honestly haven't got the slightest idea what that means. Materialistic? I've just pointed out to you that my identity as gay is about what goes on in my head, not what I do with my body.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds negative.

In your opinion is current thinking on what it means to be heterosexual similarly based?

[ 30. May 2015, 02:24: Message edited by: Huia ]

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

It's always struck me that many homophobes are quite materialistic when it comes to gays or gay marriage. They seem to focus less on love and intimacy, than penises and bottoms. But then they also tend to go on about penis-in-vagina as a description of heterosexuality.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

I am a gay female, can anyone point me to that bible verse banning cunnilingus, ta ever so.

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Bottom line - gay people know much more about what being gay means than you or any other straight person does.

Straight people do get and respect that.

In an effort to understand each-other maybe the gay community need to realise just how much of a cultural straight-jacket straight people actually live in.

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

Straight people do get and respect that.

In an effort to understand each-other maybe the gay community need to realise just how much of a cultural straight-jacket straight people actually live in.

Um well clearly not all straight people get and respect that as Steve's comments show.

Please explain the cultural straight-jacket? Because that sounds awfully like explaining away straight privilege,

And it's not about an 'effort to understand each other', it's straight people needing understanding of when it's not about them and they need to shut up.

quote:
Please explain the cultural straight-jacket? Because that sounds awfully like explaining away straight privilege,

And it's not about an 'effort to understand each other', it's straight people needing understanding of when it's not about them and they need to shut up.

Cultural straight-jacket means the way male and female are conditioned from birth upwards, something that has contributed greatly to antagonism the hetero establishment.
Prior to divorce becoming common many male and female couples spent decades together in unhappy unions because the establishment decreed it. Even now that divorce has been made easy and socially acceptable there is still confusion in the hetero relationship. TMM this derives from the conditioning of 'boys in blue/girls in pink'.

OK maybe it was at one time a "privilege" to have sexual desires or encounters that didn't land a person in jail. However this hasn't been the case here, or other countries for 50 yrs thereabouts.

As for straight people knowing when to "shut up". Does that mean threads like this one are best conducted without input from us ignorant straights?

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

Cultural straight-jacket means the way male and female are conditioned from birth upwards, something that has contributed greatly to antagonism the hetero establishment.
Prior to divorce becoming common many male and female couples spent decades together in unhappy unions because the establishment decreed it. Even now that divorce has been made easy and socially acceptable there is still confusion in the hetero relationship. TMM this derives from the conditioning of 'boys in blue/girls in pink'.

OK maybe it was at one time a "privilege" to have sexual desires or encounters that didn't land a person in jail. However this hasn't been the case here, or other countries for 50 yrs thereabouts.

As for straight people knowing when to "shut up". Does that mean threads like this one are best conducted without input from us ignorant straights?

Firstly, you're confusing gender roles with straight privilege - and in any case boys in blue and girls in pink is a fairly recent thing. Secondly straight privilege is a thing because of societal heteronormativity - that is straightness being the 'default'. It has nothing to do with privilege in a material sense but is a way of talking about overlapping spheres of oppression in a sociological sense. Given that even in the UK, LGBT suicide and homelessness rates far outstrip the cishet equivalent, straight privilege is a thing. Homophobia and heteronormativity are structural and institutional.

I'm not suggesting that no straight person can comment on this thread, but that LGBT experience is not for straight people to try and explain away or dismiss. LGBT people's lived experiences come first when talking about things concerning LGBT people.

Sorry a hectic week has kept me offthread for a bit. First to deal with this by Orfeo

quote:

quote:

I honestly haven't got the slightest idea what that means. Materialistic? I've just pointed out to you that my identity as gay is about what goes on in my head, not what I do with my body.
I'm making the point that you get different answers in moral and practical areas depending on whether your world view starts from “I believe in the God revealed in the Bible and supremely in Jesus”, or whether you start from this kind of presupposition outlined in this case by one Richard Dawkins...

quote:
“The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference … DNA neither cares nor knows, DNA just is. And we dance to its music.”

That continues to make no sense. Trust me when I say that those two starting points do not make a difference to "how it feels to be homosexual".

The assumption that being openly gay is somehow the opposite of believing in the Bible is one of the most egregious ideas that conservative Christians come up with. I have outlined numerous times on the Ship how I came to my current position, and it had precisely nothing to do with a mindset that ignores the Bible.

There are in fact homosexuals who do not have sex, on the grounds that they interpret the Bible as forbidding it. This does not mean they're not homosexual. Moral views about what kinds of sexual expression is permitted are simply a different topic altogether.

I mean, what you're arguing seems to be the equivalent of saying that any young person who believes that they should be a virgin until they are married isn't "straight". This simply isn't true.

[ 04. June 2015, 10:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

by orfeo

quote:
I mean, what you're arguing seems to be the equivalent of saying that any young person who believes that they should be a virgin until they are married isn't "straight". This simply isn't true.
Now you're not making much sense! What I wrote is not equivalent to any such thing. But your response does seem to illustrate the confusion possible when Christians don't think through the presuppositions properly....

Put simply, I don't think 'straight' and 'gay' are Christian categories in the first place. Those are worldly categories based on the earthly materialist atheist presuppositions. The Christian view of what's going on is rather different....

quote:

Put simply, I don't think 'straight' and 'gay' are Christian categories in the first place. Those are worldly categories based on the earthly materialist atheist presuppositions. The Christian view of what's going on is rather different....

Not exactly. Your Christian view may be different. Other people's Christian view may be the same. And still other people's Christian view may be a different thing altogether.

Unless we're into a reincarnation of that well-known kilted issue and "No true Christian believes... so if you don't believe it, you can't be a true Christian."

It's making an awfully sweeping condemnation of a lot of people who are firm Christian believers and who yet differ from you on this point.

John

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
The Christian view of what's going on is rather different....

MY Christian view is that God, who is Trinity, made gay people and all soprts of other perople to reflect his diverse image.

To deny that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

by leo
quote:
MY Christian view is that God, who is Trinity, made gay people and all sorts of other people to reflect his diverse image.

Is it blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to deny that God also made murderers, racists, thieves, and paedophiles to reflect his diverse image? At the very least this situation has to be a bit more complex than you are suggesting....

John Holding - I don't play the "My view's as good as your view and in turn anyone else's" game. Argue about "Is it true?" by all means, but your approach here simply destroys argument and debate.

Posted by Teufelchen (# 10158) on :

quote:
John Holding - I don't play the "My view's as good as your view and in turn anyone else's" game. Argue about "Is it true?" by all means, but your approach here simply destroys argument and debate.

There's a world of difference between "this is a Christian view, one of several possible ones" and "all views are equally possible for Christians, and equally valid".

Your habit of writing 'gay' in quote marks every time is very annoying. People's identities are not conditional on your theology validating them.

t

quote:

Are you trying to suggest that Christians don't believe in sexual attraction??

EDIT: If you in fact believe in arranged marriages and so forth, that's fine. It's just a novelty. My experience of Christians is that they get married to people that, among other things, they find sexually attractive.

I'm a man. I don't find women sexually attractive. Whether you think that's good or bad isn't what I'm talking about. I'm just talking about the fact.

[ 05. June 2015, 03:01: Message edited by: orfeo ]

by teufelchen;
quote:
There's a world of difference between "this is a Christian view, one of several possible ones" and "all views are equally possible for Christians, and equally valid".

Your habit of writing 'gay' in quote marks every time is very annoying. People's identities are not conditional on your theology validating them.

On the first, point taken; I still don't like the kind of discussion-stifling response that tries to treat everything as a matter of opinion rather than engaging with the actual issues of where it is right or wrong/true or false. I'd rather get on with the substantive arguments than be distracted by the "that's just your opinion" game.

On the second, I'm old-fashioned enough to seriously dislike the manipulation by which the beautiful word 'gay' has been reduced from dozens of delightful meanings to have only the one meaning of 'homosexual'. Unfortunately we're unlikely to ever get the proper meaning of the word back - but why shouldn't I protest a little?

And further, I am rather challenging the current usage and its implications; that seems to me to justify the questioning punctuation. In the comment about 'gay' and 'straight' not being Christian categories the inverted commas were partly about that but mostly just the normal picking out of the words I was commenting on.

by orfeo;
quote:
Are you trying to suggest that Christians don't believe in sexual attraction??
Don't be daft! I'm querying some of the ways sexual and other attraction are interpreted in the modern world, and querying whether Christians should be so readily accepting interpretations which are not based on Christian presuppositions.

On the second para, I'm not exactly keen on arranged marriages, though I think I can see how and why it worked in older cultures. But basically, no that's not relevant to my point.

quote:
I'm a man. I don't find women sexually attractive. Whether you think that's good or bad isn't what I'm talking about. I'm just talking about the fact.
I'm trying to discuss what is the proper Christian interpretation of such facts. Which does not necessarily agree with the interpretation that comes from the non-Christian world....

Can we get one issue out of the way; I don't have a problem with the notion that the secular plural state allows SSM and all kinds of other things that Christians aren't happy with. As you should be aware from my previous postings on various threads I emphatically do NOT believe in the concept of a 'Christian country' and the consequent imposition by law of Christian morality in the UK or any other state. My concern is with getting the Christian position clarified.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
I'm trying to discuss what is the proper Christian interpretation of such facts.

Did someone forget to send Steve the position paper about homosexuality that has been agreed upon by all Christians worldwide?

People who talk about the Christian position usually mean their own.

Steve, as far as I can see you challenged a statement that I was gay.

Your response was:

quote:
This takes for granted that being 'gay' is the same kind of thing as an ethnic or racial difference. It ain't necessarily so....
I'm gay. That's a fact. It means I'm male and I'm sexually attracted to men. That doesn't need "interpreting".

That's completely different from an opinion about whether being gay is morally problematic. Frankly I wasn't interested in discussing that.

If you can't express yourself clearly, it does you no favours to come back with statements like "Don't be daft!" when I'm trying to figure out what the fuck you're talking about.

It should be abundantly clear that I'm trying to actually establish what it is you're saying, and frankly you are no help whatsoever.

I can't be arsed anymore. Whatever you believe is your business, but if you can't express it clearly I'm no longer interested.

[ 05. June 2015, 12:47: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
by leo
quote:
MY Christian view is that God, who is Trinity, made gay people and all sorts of other people to reflect his diverse image.

Is it blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to deny that God also made murderers, racists, thieves, and paedophiles to reflect his diverse image?
Equating gays with paedophiles etc. is an old trick and is highly insulting and dismissive.

by LeRoc
quote:
Did someone forget to send Steve the position paper about homosexuality that has been agreed upon by all Christians worldwide?

Yes they forgot - possibly because as you well know no such paper actually exists. Yes, currently Christians have lots of different positions; I'm trying to sort out what at least ought to be 'the Christian position' according to the original teachings rather than all the stuff we've made up later to accomodate the world.

by quetzalcoatl
quote:
People who talk about the Christian position usually mean their own.
Prove me wrong - as opposed to just acting as if all positions are equally valid and subjective, which as I pointed out above is a discussion-killer.

by orfeo;
quote:
Steve, as far as I can see you challenged a statement that I was gay.
and your evidence for this was my statement

quote:
No, not challenging that you are 'gay' - challenging whether that is exactly the same kind of thing as a racial difference. A lot of current discourse (not necessarily your position) assumes that, in order to then make the further assertion that 'being gay' means that it is perfectly all right to 'do gay' as in certain sexual acts. But the whole point about racism being wrong is precisely that racial difference does not also result in such differences of moral action.

I am saying that when that transition is made from 'being' to 'doing' the issue has changed.

by leo
quote:
Equating gays with paedophiles etc. is an old trick and is highly insulting and dismissive.
So why are YOU using an argument which implicitly makes that comparison?? Think about it....

by orfeo;
quote:
If you can't express yourself clearly, it does you no favours to come back with statements like "Don't be daft!" when I'm trying to figure out what the fuck you're talking about.

Sorry on this one. I think I made the classic Aspie mistake of not realising the possibility that you might read my comment in a different 'tone of voice' to that in my mind as I wrote. This was intended as a fairly light-hearted 'Don't be daft' as in of course I believe in sexual attraction and regard that as a normal Christian idea, and wasn't sure how you'd got from my comments to the idea that I had other beliefs.

quote:
...I'm old-fashioned enough to seriously dislike the manipulation by which the beautiful word 'gay' has been reduced from dozens of delightful meanings to have only the one meaning of 'homosexual'. Unfortunately we're unlikely to ever get the proper meaning of the word back - but why shouldn't I protest a little?

And further, I am rather challenging the current usage and its implications; that seems to me to justify the questioning punctuation. In the comment about 'gay' and 'straight' not being Christian categories the inverted commas were partly about that but mostly just the normal picking out of the words I was commenting on.

It comes across us not believing queers when we relate our own experiences about our own identities.

And why are you protesting the change in meaning of the word 'gay' and not, say 'nice'? Words do not have specially defined 'proper meanings'; no committee, no king, no angel hands down their definitions. They are defined by how we use them. Language changes. Your discomfort with that is neither the fault nor the problem of gay people.

t

quote:
by leo
quote:
So why are YOU using an argument which implicitly makes that comparison?? Think about it....
I don't understand

quote:
by teufelchen;
quote:

On the first, point taken; I still don't like the kind of discussion-stifling response that tries to treat everything as a matter of opinion rather than engaging with the actual issues of where it is right or wrong/true or false. I'd rather get on with the substantive arguments than be distracted by the "that's just your opinion" game.

On the second, I'm old-fashioned enough to seriously dislike the manipulation by which the beautiful word 'gay' has been reduced from dozens of delightful meanings to have only the one meaning of 'homosexual'. Unfortunately we're unlikely to ever get the proper meaning of the word back - but why shouldn't I protest a little?

Why can't gay meaning homosexual be a beautiful word?

Sorry for the double post, but Steve - as an example, you know best how it feels to be Steve Langton. You have first-hand, direct experience of it. Therefore when someone wants to know how it feels to be Steve Langton, it would be best to ask you and not just assume or go to other sources. In the same way, gay people know the most about what it means to be gay.

Trust me when I say that being gay does not equal having 'gay sex' (which is, you know, just sex the same as straight people have, no need to call it gay sex). LGBT people can separate sex from identity to the same degree as straight people can - for some they are very separate, for some not at all, for most people somewhere in-between. If you maybe tried to think of gay people as being just like straight people (because they are), that might help.

by teufelchen;
quote:
And why are you protesting the change in meaning of the word 'gay' and not, say 'nice'? Words do not have specially defined 'proper meanings'; no committee, no king, no angel hands down their definitions. They are defined by how we use them. Language changes. Your discomfort with that is neither the fault nor the problem of gay people.
Actually in this case the change does appear to be a change deliberately manipulated by and on behalf of 'gay' people, rather than a natural change, and therefore does seem top be the 'fault' of gay people. Go look at a thesaurus to find all the things 'gay' used to mean and for which, for all practical purposes, it can no longer be used now that it has become so associated with homosexuality. Instead for many people it has actually become a word to use to mean something is pretty yukky (as in 'Euggh - that's gay!')- though I wouldn't use it that way myself.

by Pomona;
quote:
I'd assume that was the intention - that is, to hijack a word with joyous associations to replace all the negative words like 'bent/queer/etc'. I don't feel it's worked quite as intended, and has caused a great deal of confusion on the way. Ideally 'gay' should mean all the things it used to without being limited to one particular usage in an attempt to imply that all those previous meanings apply to the one usage. I don't object when a word changes naturally - I'm not happy when there is rather clear manipulation.

All this is a bit of a tangent distracting from expressing my wider views on the matter....

by leo;
quote:
I don't understand
OK, come at it from a different end - paedophiles also often say that God 'made them' as they are. Do you agree with them?

And why would I assume God 'made' anyone to 'be' what God himself has declared to be sinful?

(And BTW, I've not said much here of my own opinions - don't be too ready to assume what those are)

quote:
I am saying that when that transition is made from 'being' to 'doing' the issue has changed.

And I, and others, have told you repeatedly that "gay" is a reference to 'being', not 'doing'.

by orfeo;
quote:
And I, and others, have told you repeatedly that "gay" is a reference to 'being', not 'doing'.
So you're actually agreeing with me - can I point out that I made that very distinction in a DH thread some months back; and I don't just mean I contributed that to a thread, I mean I started a thread to discuss that very point. Why weren't you and the 'others' helping out with the discussion there?

Probably because there were other things you said in that thread that I completely disagreed with.

quote:
by teufelchen;
quote:
Actually in this case the change does appear to be a change deliberately manipulated by and on behalf of 'gay' people, rather than a natural change, and therefore does seem top be the 'fault' of gay people. Go look at a thesaurus to find all the things 'gay' used to mean and for which, for all practical purposes, it can no longer be used now that it has become so associated with homosexuality. Instead for many people it has actually become a word to use to mean something is pretty yukky (as in 'Euggh - that's gay!')- though I wouldn't use it that way myself.

by Pomona;
quote:
I'd assume that was the intention - that is, to hijack a word with joyous associations to replace all the negative words like 'bent/queer/etc'. I don't feel it's worked quite as intended, and has caused a great deal of confusion on the way. Ideally 'gay' should mean all the things it used to without being limited to one particular usage in an attempt to imply that all those previous meanings apply to the one usage. I don't object when a word changes naturally - I'm not happy when there is rather clear manipulation.

If it's so clear, I'm sure you'll be able to produce some reliable sources demonstrating that this 'manipulation' was a deliberate campaign on the part of the gay community.

But it looks to me like you're accusing a sinister 'gay agenda' of bringing about a change you don't like, and then using that accusation as your explanation for not liking it.

t

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
I'd assume that was the intention - that is, to hijack a word with joyous associations to replace all the negative words like 'bent/queer/etc'.

The word "gay" has had sexual connotations for centuries, though originally a "gay man" was a womanizer and a "gay woman" was a prostitute. It has had connotations of homosexuality since at least the late 19th Century; as early as 1938, it was used in a Hollywood movie ("Bringing Up Baby") to mean homosexual. What you are decrying is the natural progression of language.

Occasional uses notwithstanding, well into my lifetime 'homosexual' was not the primary meaning of 'gay' and it could be and was regularly used in the wider senses without the titters and innuendo which such usage later attracted. A 'gay bachelor' would primarily, as you say, mean a womaniser rather than a homosexual. I don't pretend to understand or be aware of all the details of how things changed; but it does seem that the change started from the gay community and I recall - though wasn't making notes at the time - occasions when homosexuals were quite pushy in seeking the use of the word 'gay' as a description.

I don't regard this as 'sinister' - but nor do I feel it was realistically the 'normal progression of language'. And like it or not, it has had the effect of driving out pretty much all the previous usage. Which is all I intend to say about this tangent.

by orfeo;
quote:
Probably because there were other things you said in that thread that I completely disagreed with.

Given how little I actually said myself among the over 400 posts on that thread, I'd be interested to know what those were. I do recall ending up with the feeling that nobody had actually refuted my OP in the slightest.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Occasional uses notwithstanding, well into my lifetime 'homosexual' was not the primary meaning of 'gay' and it could be and was regularly used in the wider senses without the titters and innuendo which such usage later attracted. A 'gay bachelor' would primarily, as you say, mean a womaniser rather than a homosexual.

There's no innuendo in being a womaniser?

quote:
by leo;
quote:
I don't understand
OK, come at it from a different end - paedophiles also often say that God 'made them' as they are. Do you agree with them?

And why would I assume God 'made' anyone to 'be' what God himself has declared to be sinful?

(And BTW, I've not said much here of my own opinions - don't be too ready to assume what those are)

Paedophilia abuses and harms people.

Consenting homosexuals do not.

So there is no comparison.

And I don't believe that God declared homosexuality as sinful. Scripture does not envisage or mention two people in love. The 6 'clobber texts' are open to interpretation.

Posted by Invictus_88 (# 15352) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

And I don't believe that God declared homosexuality as sinful. Scripture does not envisage or mention two people in love. The 6 'clobber texts' are open to interpretation.

Just so we know how the land lies:

Sins. Are sins 'sins' because they harm people? Or are things 'not sins' because they no not harm people? Or is there simply an incidental correlation between "sinful things" and "things which harm people"?

quote:
Occasional uses notwithstanding, well into my lifetime 'homosexual' was not the primary meaning of 'gay' and it could be and was regularly used in the wider senses without the titters and innuendo which such usage later attracted.

That may well be your experience, but it is not mine. I am 54 years old, and I can clearly recall that in the 70s in my culture (the American South), the primary meaning of "gay" was "homosexual." It was rarely used with any other meaning except by elderly people or perhaps in a phrase such as "the Gay 90s" or "Don we now our gay apparel." In regular conversation, it was never used to mean "bright" or "happy" or "carefree."

quote:
I don't pretend to understand or be aware of all the details of how things changed; but it does seem that the change started from the gay covgmmunity and I recall - though wasn't making notes at the time - occasions when homosexuals were quite pushy in seeking the use of the word 'gay' as a description.
Yes, a too-often stigmatized group of people who were ridiculed and even punished for being themselves, and who were regularly the butt of slurs and insults, decided what words they wanted to use to describe themselves. But this specific word they chose already had the meaning; they didn't impose it on the word.

[ 07. June 2015, 18:48: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
I am 54 years old, and I can clearly recall that in the 70s in my culture (the American South), the primary meaning of "gay" was "homosexual."

The USA is different from the UK, of course. American usage tends to influence British usage rather than the other way round, although there are exceptions.

Since we're on the tangential topic of vocab, can anyone tell me if the term 'gay' was being used to mean 'homosexual' in the South of England in the 70s?

I remember my French teacher telling the class in the mid 80s that the French didn't use their equivalent, 'gai', in the modern English fashion, but as an adult I understand that now they they do. Or rather, they use the English word - but since the two words are so similar the French must surely be reluctant to use 'gai' to mean anything else. Would French Protestants use the term in this way, I wonder?

[ 07. June 2015, 20:36: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

quote:
Occasional uses notwithstanding, well into my lifetime 'homosexual' was not the primary meaning of 'gay' and it could be and was regularly used in the wider senses without the titters and innuendo which such usage later attracted. A 'gay bachelor' would primarily, as you say, mean a womaniser rather than a homosexual. I don't pretend to understand or be aware of all the details of how things changed; but it does seem that the change started from the gay community and I recall - though wasn't making notes at the time - occasions when homosexuals were quite pushy in seeking the use of the word 'gay' as a description.

I don't regard this as 'sinister' - but nor do I feel it was realistically the 'normal progression of language'. And like it or not, it has had the effect of driving out pretty much all the previous usage. Which is all I intend to say about this tangent.

Gay was used in the twentieth century, often as slang or coded to mean Homosexual or libertine. It was deliberately used in the late 60's and early 70's as part of the name of groups and newspapers to mean Homosexual.

The fact that various people found homosexuality so odious that they stopped using other unrelated meanings of the word gay when it was widely used to mean homosexual just accelerated a language transition. But as a musician said when his German girlfriend complained that there were no good bagels to be had in Berlin, "Whose fault is that?" The withering of other uses was caused by intolerance of homosexuals.

People reuse or alter meanings of words all the time in English. Just because you didn't use it one way doesn't mean others weren't using it.If you only provide ugly phrases to describe people, they'll either redefine the meaning of those phrases or pick another word and redefine it even if *you* don't like it. Poor you.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

There's a Kinks song from 1967 called David Watts, which includes the lyric "he is so gay and fancy free" and was deliberately using the word in the current sense and playing on the older sense at the same time. It's an in joke about a producer who was definitely homosexual and was interested in Dave Davies, Ray's younger brother.

The 1967 Sexual Offences Act legalised homosexual acts in the UK. Previous to that act there was a history of using euphemisms and ambiguity as protection - eg artistic, friend of Dorothy. From the 1920s on there are other examples of ambiguous usage, but by the early 1970s gay was used in the sense of homosexual.

quote:
[Since we're on the tangential topic of vocab, can anyone tell me if the term 'gay' was being used to mean 'homosexual' in the South of England in the 70s?

Gay News was founded in London in 1972.

That's all interesting and helpful. I suppose one could then ask when and how the word moved out of its subculture entered the mainstream vernacular. Pop songs would be a part of that.

As for homophobia causing the word to lose its original meaning, I'm sure that's partly true, but the desire to avoid ambiguity would have surely hastened the change. The two meanings are likely to be used in very similar contexts, which doesn't help. 'Dyke' could be equally problematic for homophobic reasons, yet AFAIK it remains in use to refer to a wall that regulates water levels (though perhaps not in American English?).

[ 07. June 2015, 21:53: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The fact that various people found homosexuality so odious that they stopped using other unrelated meanings of the word gay when it was widely used to mean homosexual just accelerated a language transition. But as a musician said when his German girlfriend complained that there were no good bagels to be had in Berlin, "Whose fault is that?" The withering of other uses was caused by intolerance of homosexuals.

Exactly.

Perhaps people mainly want their meaning to be clear.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

Dyke doesn't have quite the same resonance. It was in heavy use by lesbians when I was first out (the early 1980s) but only used as a derogatory remark by others (including gay men). I hardly hear the term at all these days, which may reflect the lack of rivers and lakes that require engineering in NZ.

Gay, on the other hand, was used of all homosexuals in public discourse, much to the disgust of the more separatist lesbians. These days what I hear is "lesbians and gay men," or just "gay people."

"Dykes" also was engineering slang for Diagonal Wire Cutters. It's not used much anymore, but that may be a result of the tool becoming less prevalent.

People reacted quite strongly to the gay use; but it's hard to claim that other uses were avoided to avoid ambiguity, "Gay" has had a minor career as a schoolyard insult "that's so gay" referring to people, clothing, haircuts and objects. It has drifted down from college to high school to middle school and even elementary school as a term of general abuse. If the intent was to avoid ambiguity, there would be alternative words to replace the other meaning of gay. It's not like Jovial has made any big comeback.

I always get a laugh at those who lament the loss of the secondary meaning as merry. Gay is replacing "Homosexual" which is a clumsy Greek Latin hybrid. Those fond of language should approve. It would not surprise me if the other uses come back as the Homophobic reaction dies down.

And then there's the word "Fabulous"...

[ 08. June 2015, 05:44: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

quote:
That's all interesting and helpful. I suppose one could then ask when and how the word moved out of its subculture entered the mainstream vernacular. Pop songs would be a part of that.

Seeing a Newspaper named "Gay" on the street pushes the mainstream vernacular. As pointed out by others, it's been in use for a long time. The difference in the 60's on was that there was a theory about being out and proudly claiming a name rather than continuing euphemisms. I don't see pop songs as leading the use of Gay. It was much to common to simply gender switch; the female Diva is singing a song about losing a man; the gay listener identified.

by leo

quote:
The 6 'clobber texts' are open to interpretation.
And I wonder if your list of 6 includes the text - words of Jesus himself - that I would regard as pretty definitive....

Right now I'm more concerned with that little phrase 'open to interpretation'; I had a little exchange above with John Holding on a similar point....

Look, everything is 'open to interpretation' - but that doesn't make every interpretation equally good and equally valid. It is still necessary to do the work of showing that the interpretation is solidly founded. And in this particular area there are a lot of 'interpretations' which could more accurately be described as ludicrous straining of the text by people who just don't want to accept the obvious.

I repeat; 'interpretations' have to be properly justified - simply to make glib comments about 'open to interpretation' does not in itself prove the validity of the interpretations.

quote:
It is still necessary to do the work of showing that the interpretation is solidly founded.

Yes, but even that is, itself, open to interpretation! What I mean is that some scholars, based on good evidence and research etc., will say that a meaning of a passage is acceptable; others will disagree. My feeling is that you are most unlikely to accept any of the pro-SSM exegetes' interpretations because - like most of us - you will have made a priori assumptions about the limits of acceptability.

(I accept that there will be wacky interpretations of Biblical passages that everyone thinks are wrong. I'm not referring to those. But what I am attacking is the common Evangelical belief that "liberals simply don't take the Bible seriously" as I think that some of them take it very seriously indeed!)

[ 08. June 2015, 11:14: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
by leo

quote:
And I wonder if your list of 6 includes the text - words of Jesus himself - that I would regard as pretty definitive....
Which words of Jesus would those be? Because He never (in anything recorded in the Gospels) makes any reference to homosexuality at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
by leo

quote:
Which words of Jesus would those be? Because He never (in anything recorded in the Gospels) makes any reference to homosexuality at all.
I suspect Steve has in mind the bit where Jesus talked about a man leaving his father and mother and joining his wife... and then thumped the table and yelled AND ONLY HIS WIFE! for emphasis.

quote:
by leo

quote:
And I wonder if your list of 6 includes the text - words of Jesus himself - that I would regard as pretty definitive....I repeat; 'interpretations' have to be properly justified - simply to make glib comments about 'open to interpretation' does not in itself prove the validity of the interpretations.
1) Jesus did not say anything about homosexuality.

2) The Hebrew in the Leviticus text about abomination is corrupt so each translator maskes his (and it is usually his, not her) interpretation.

quote:
Originally posted by Invictus_88:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Just so we know how the land lies:

Sins. Are sins 'sins' because they harm people? Or are things 'not sins' because they no not harm people? Or is there simply an incidental correlation between "sinful things" and "things which harm people"?

There's more to it than that. Sin - hamartia = missing the mark - what makes us less than fully human.

Abusing people makes us, and them, less human.

Love and relationship is likely to make us more human.

by leo;
quote:
Jesus did not say anything about homosexuality.
Given what else he said, he didn't need to. Clearly your list of clobber texts doesn't include Jesus' words - or the bit of the OT he very emphatically quoted.

by orfeo
quote:
I suspect Steve has in mind the bit where Jesus talked about a man leaving his father and mother and joining his wife... and then thumped the table and yelled AND ONLY HIS WIFE! for emphasis.
Almost right; but go back to what hequoted about why that happens - and don't go adding unnecessary bits; table-thumping totally redundant, just pay serious attention to the actual words he did say.

by Baptist Trainfan;
quote:
My feeling is that you are most unlikely to accept any of the pro-SSM exegetes' interpretations because - like most of us - you will have made a priori assumptions about the limits of acceptability.
Actually one of the things that makes Aspies like me good 'absent-minded professors' is that we generally don't make a priori assumptions as much as others do, and we tend to be unusually aware of when arguments are being messed about by that kind of thing.

As a 60s student I'm if anything pre-disposed to accept 'liberal' ideas (and for what it's worth, I have as much trouble with fellow Christians who are shocked at my 'liberalism' as those who find me 'fundamentalist'). Aspies come with a concern for 'is it true?'

quote:
by orfeo
quote:
Almost right; but go back to what hequoted about why that happens - and don't go adding unnecessary bits; table-thumping totally redundant, just pay serious attention to the actual words he did say.
I have. My point, actually, is that you shouldn't add bits either. You shouldn't add bits that say that the why is only achievable by a man and a woman.

The bit of Genesis he's quoting from simply doesn't say "for this reason a man and a woman will go at it like rabbits and make lots of babies". If you think that becoming "one flesh" is about inserting a penis into a vagina, and that this is the function of marriage, then I feel very sorry for you indeed.

[ 08. June 2015, 23:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

by Alan Cresswell;
quote:
Because He never (in anything recorded in the Gospels) makes any reference to homosexuality at all.
OK, I suppose this is the 'argument from silence', and everyone is supposed to say "...and since Jesus doesn't refer to it we can assume he's totally happy about anything we come up with...."

Reality check; even if true (and I'm not sure it is really true) all that this would actually prove would be that Jesus doesn't mention it.

And in that case we simply wouldn't know whether he doesn't mention it because he would agree with our modern views, or whether he doesn't mention it because he totally agrees with the traditional view.

Of course if he did agree with the traditional view, he wouldn't need to mention it. On t'other hand, if he was disagreeing with the traditional view, surely he would very positively need to mention that fact - it would be quite important...!!

This is, after all, the Son of God who was quite happy to use that position to point out that the OT law ('Moses') allowed divorce because of the hardness of human hearts, but made rather clear that his followers should be stricter. This the the Son of God who rewrote the Pharisaic version of the Sabbath laws, one of the original Ten commandments. Why among all that would he simply not mention that 'gay sex is OK'?? - unless, of course, he didn't think it OK...?

However, there is also the weight of what he did say. It is true that he was willing to eat with prostitutes and other sinners, as the Pharisees wouldn't, and he clearly rated Pharisaic self-righteousness a greater problem than sexual pecadillos. But we should not forget that his last word to the woman caught in adultery was "...and sin no more". He was not saying such conduct was actually right or God indifferent to it. Indeed what he does say implies a high reverence for marriage as God's ideal and no compromise about the wrongness of other sexual expression.

So there he is being asked a question about marriage and divorce, and where does he go for an answer? He goes to a text that says "God 'made them male and female'" and expounds it in terms of that complementary partnership being the meaning of marriage. It is more than a small stretch to go from that to the idea that 'same-sex marriage' is even contemplated by Jesus, let alone approved!

As a thought experiment, suppose that there was a Pharisee like Saul/Paul there, a 'Hebrew of the Hebrews' but from a diaspora setting such as Tarsus, and he were to ask about the pagan custom of SSM - is it really credible that Jesus says "Oh yes, that's fine!"? Surely it is massively more likely that he goes back to the same OT text again and repeats "God made them male and female"?

quote:
by leo;
quote:
Given what else he said, he didn't need to. Clearly your list of clobber texts doesn't include Jesus' words - or the bit of the OT he very emphatically quoted.
That's because he didn't quote any of them.

But he DID have a lot to say about wealth.

If Christians issued as many condemnations of the (mis)use of wealth as they did of gay people, that would be good.

But, if course, the churches daren't alienate middle class Westerners.

[ 09. June 2015, 14:48: Message edited by: leo ]

by leo;
quote:
That's because he (Jesus) didn't quote any of them.
Um; I didn't say Jesus did quote any of the 'clobber texts', However, see my latest post in an exchange with orfeo and Alan Cresswell, the words Jesus DID say that are clearly more than a bit relevant....

Anabaptists like me would tend to agree on the wealth bit. But that doesn't actually change the implications of the biblical teaching on the rights and wrongs of sexual conduct. It is not good interpretation to say that because the wealth (and power) bits are more important we can just disregard the stuff about sex; Jesus is LORD in all areas.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
by leo;
quote:
But He did said some very specific things about loving one another, and about addressing our own faults before we condemn others for theirs.

It would seem important to include this in the "given what else he said" part when choosing how we respond to others.

quote:
I suppose this is the 'argument from silence', and everyone is supposed to say "...and since Jesus doesn't refer to it we can assume he's totally happy about anything we come up with...."

Reality check; even if true (and I'm not sure it is really true) all that this would actually prove would be that Jesus doesn't mention it.

You're right. It would be proof of nothing, and therefore it would be impossible to say anything definitive. Which was my point, you had said "the text - words of Jesus himself - that I would regard as pretty definitive". Since there are no words of Jesus (recorded) that address the issue there is no definitive words of Jesus to reference.

What you gave us was nothing at all. Which words of Jesus? And, since they didn't reference homosexuality therefore we would need to understand the chain of interpretation that lead you to make a definitive statement. You provided neither the text nor your interpretation. You now have, of course, and that gives us something to discuss.

quote:
And in that case we simply wouldn't know whether he doesn't mention it because he would agree with our modern views, or whether he doesn't mention it because he totally agrees with the traditional view.
Or, He doesn't mention it because it was not an issue at the time. Jesus doesn't tell us anything about whether we should use genetic modification to improve crop yields, nuclear power to generate the electricity our modern life style demands or whether women should be allowed to vote. There was no way such things would have come up in conversation in Roman Palestine, and if He did talk about such things His disciples would have been even more confused than they were already.

quote:

Of course if he did agree with the traditional view, he wouldn't need to mention it. On t'other hand, if he was disagreeing with the traditional view, surely he would very positively need to mention that fact - it would be quite important...!!

Or, at the time, it would not have been important at all and so He didn't mention it.

quote:
However, there is also the weight of what he did say. ... we should not forget that his last word to the woman caught in adultery was "...and sin no more". He was not saying such conduct was actually right or God indifferent to it. Indeed what he does say implies a high reverence for marriage as God's ideal and no compromise about the wrongness of other sexual expression.
And, the relevance of someone committing adultery, being unfaithful in a relationship, to the question of whether faithful monogamous relationships are OK is what, exactly? Adultery is wrong, breaking the commitments of faithfulness within a marriage is very damaging to the relationship and beyond. I don't actually know many gay Christians who would disagree. But, why should agreeing with that be something that prevents two men (or two women) getting married, intending to live together faithfully? Or, are you saying that because people sometimes sin and have affairs that therefore no one should ever get married?

quote:
So there he is being asked a question about marriage and divorce, and where does he go for an answer? He goes to a text that says "God 'made them male and female'" and expounds it in terms of that complementary partnership being the meaning of marriage.
In response to a question about marriage between a man and a woman, He goes back to that text. And, of course, that text also has relevance to same-sex marriages as well, the idea that marriage is a commitment to another person, complementary, forming a new family unit etc are all perfectly true no matter who the couple are.

Another point is, of course, that He was challenging deeply held beliefs about the nature of marriage. Was a women mere property that her husband could divorce and leave destitute at a whim? Addressing that inequality in the understanding of marriage was much more important and urgent at the time than the modern questions of marriage equality where women already have equal rights within a marriage, and it's other forms of marriage which are treated unequally.

quote:

It is more than a small stretch to go from that to the idea that 'same-sex marriage' is even contemplated by Jesus, let alone approved!

Yes, it is a big stretch. But, I for one am not taking that step. As far as I am aware, Jesus never contemplated marriage equality. He never sat down and thought about it. He never approved of it, nor did He disapprove.

quote:
As a thought experiment, suppose that there was a Pharisee like Saul/Paul there, a 'Hebrew of the Hebrews' but from a diaspora setting such as Tarsus, and he were to ask about the pagan custom of SSM - is it really credible that Jesus says "Oh yes, that's fine!"? Surely it is massively more likely that he goes back to the same OT text again and repeats "God made them male and female"?
For a start, of course, that would be entirely hypothetical as there was no concept of marriage equality anywhere at the time.

But, given a choice between:
1) a marriage in which two men care for, support, love and respect one another and remain faithful
2) a marriage between a man and a woman in which the husband treats his wife as little more than a slave, with no rights, no respect, and can be divorced and left destitute on the street at a whim
Well, I know which one I expect Jesus to choose.

by Alan Cresswell
quote:
Or, He doesn't mention it because it was not an issue at the time. Jesus doesn't tell us anything about whether we should use genetic modification to improve crop yields, nuclear power to generate the electricity our modern life style demands or whether women should be allowed to vote. There was no way such things would have come up in conversation in Roman Palestine, and if He did talk about such things His disciples would have been even more confused than they were already.
Of course GM foods and nuclear power didn't 'come up in conversation in Roman Palestine', given that they were of course unknown. The issue of the proper relationships between men was hardly an 'unknown' in an age when homosexuality was relatively common among Gentiles up to and including Emperors. Agreed it wouldn't be discussed much in a society/culture (Judaism) which of course recognised the Levitical prohibition on gay sex. But these two situations are anything but comparable. SLOPPY THINKING, ALAN.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Actually one of the things that makes Aspies like me good 'absent-minded professors' is that we generally don't make a priori assumptions as much as others do, and we tend to be unusually aware of when arguments are being messed about by that kind of thing.

As a 60s student I'm if anything pre-disposed to accept 'liberal' ideas (and for what it's worth, I have as much trouble with fellow Christians who are shocked at my 'liberalism' as those who find me 'fundamentalist'). Aspies come with a concern for 'is it true?'

Please stop trying to use Asperger's to justify or support your views. I have Asperger's too and while I share a concern for truth I don't think your claim to be less vulnerable to assumptions stands up to scrutiny. Your neurological state is an irrelevance to your views on human sexuality, and your assumption that Jesus would agree with you because there is no record of him saying otherwise is an argument from silence, however you frame it.

The authors of the New Testament never encountered committed gay couples intent on building shared lives. They encountered adulterers (in a culture that pretty much forced people into heterosexual marriages) and people who engaged in same-sex sexual activity for pagan religious purposes. I would hope and expect that, faced with the fact of same-sex relationships so clearly filled with the fruits of the spirit, neither Jesus nor Paul would have any more problem with them than with opposite-sex ones (recalling, of course, that Paul was none too keen on people marrying at all).

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I would hope and expect that, faced with the fact of same-sex relationships so clearly filled with the fruits of the spirit, neither Jesus nor Paul would have any more problem with them than with opposite-sex ones (recalling, of course, that Paul was none too keen on people marrying at all).

Excellent point, and one I have made from time to time in the last decade or so.

I know actual real people who are gay and married to each other. (I hope you do too, Steve, given the arguments you seem to be making, which need to be based in concrete reality rather than abstract theory if they are to be taken seriously.) To take one couple in particular, they were together for several years until able to have a civil marriage. Five years ago and ten years later i was at their marriage blessing (specifically authorized by our bishop). They continue to live together faithfully.

They have essentially raised two nephews whose father (D's brother) is currently working on his third or fourth wife. Both nephews are credits to them ... and, so far as I know, believers.

Moreover, if I had to name a married couple who show forth the gifts of the Spirit as listed by Paul, they would be at the top of my list (as would at least one other married gay couple, as well as several opposite sex couples).

Seems to me that if we deny the clear fact that God has blesses these guys, and showered the gifts of the Spirit on them, then we are calling God a liar. And I don't do that.

John

[ 09. June 2015, 22:46: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Thank you John.

This is what really drives me crazy about the constant implication hovering in the air that same-sex couples aren't "real" couples. It requires ignoring actual same-sex couples that are out there proving their capability.

I'm always amused by those who cite Leviticus as a reason to condemn same sex marriage but who still manage to eat bacon for breakfast.

The words "Pharisees and hypocrites" come to mind, but that is unfair to Pharisees.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
However, there is also the weight of what he did say. It is true that he was willing to eat with prostitutes and other sinners, as the Pharisees wouldn't, and he clearly rated Pharisaic self-righteousness a greater problem than sexual pecadillos. But we should not forget that his last word to the woman caught in adultery was "...and sin no more". He was not saying such conduct was actually right or God indifferent to it. Indeed what he does say implies a high reverence for marriage as God's ideal and no compromise about the wrongness of other sexual expression.

The story of the woman caught in adultery is one of the less convincing pieces of evidence about Jesus as the more ancient Bible manuscripts do not include John 7:53-8:11. It was almost certainly not originally a part of St John's Gospel. Where the story comes from is a source of much speculation. It is the sort of story that should be a report of something Jesus did and a scribe somewhere added it in to their version but who knows if it was really Jesus, someone else or what.

Posted by Ad Orientem (# 17574) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:

The story of the woman caught in adultery is one of the less convincing pieces of evidence about Jesus as the more ancient Bible manuscripts do not include John 7:53-8:11. It was almost certainly not originally a part of St John's Gospel. Where the story comes from is a source of much speculation. It is the sort of story that should be a report of something Jesus did and a scribe somewhere added it in to their version but who knows if it was really Jesus, someone else or what.
That's a cop out, that is if you accept it as being part of the scriptures. If you do, then you have to deal with it.

quote:
The issue of the proper relationships between men was hardly an 'unknown' in an age when homosexuality was relatively common among Gentiles up to and including Emperors. Agreed it wouldn't be discussed much in a society/culture (Judaism) which of course recognised the Levitical prohibition on gay sex. But these two situations are anything but comparable. SLOPPY THINKING, ALAN.

No, relationships between men were known. Although it should also be recognised that in a lot, probably the vast majority, of cases the relationships in the Roman era were radically different to the relationships today. In the Roman era these relationships were almost always adulterous (since at least one of the men would be married - which may be a reflection on a society that forced gay men to marry a woman for social reasons), often involved prostitution (in many cases associated with Roman religious practice), and often involved minors or non-consenting slaves.

To consider such forms of relationship as relevant to the discussion of marriage equality is also sloppy thinking.

Furthermore, sexual relationships between men were seen as an extension of male friendships and manliness, and was not romantic. It also had a deeply misogynistic element to it. Sexual relationships between women were condemned, unsurprisingly.

Equating the Classical concept of same-gender sex with loving and monogamous same-gender relationships is wrong-headed and offensive. It bears no resemblance to actual gay people's lives.

by arethosemyfeet;
quote:
Please stop trying to use Asperger's to justify or support your views.
I'm not using AS to 'justify or support' my views. Just trying to explain, to a Shipmate's suggestion about my 'a priori' assumptions, that Aspies generally think in a slightly different way about things - which is indeed why so many of us are 'absent-minded professors' who contribute a particular kind of problem solving in many fields.

also by atmf;
quote:
your assumption that Jesus would agree with you because there is no record of him saying otherwise is an argument from silence, however you frame it.
Actually I tried quite hard to avoid that assumption. I made the point that where there is only silence, neither side can assume "Therefore he agrees with me..." I do give some weight, with a rabbi as unconventional as Jesus, to the notion that in a case like this his silence would likely reflect agreement with the prevailing view, especially as his other comments on sexual morality tend if anything to the stricter side. Note, BTW, that when challenged about his social contact with prostitutes and tax collectors he doesn't justify it by saying that those 'sinners' are perfectly all right, but by a comment that it is those who are ill who need a doctor.

On the text about God making humans 'male and female' I'm aiming/hoping to be back later tonight with a more detailed exposition. But I think the Son of God basing an argument about marriage on the fact of God creating them 'male and female ' goes a little beyond mere 'silence'.

by Palimpsest;
quote:
I'm always amused by those who cite Leviticus as a reason to condemn same sex marriage but who still manage to eat bacon for breakfast.
That in itself is a bigger argument (about the relationship of OT and NT) than I can tackle right now. I think above I cited Leviticus rather to point out that in Jewish culture, accepting that prohibition on gay sexual activity would be the norm. There are wider reasons than that one text to object to same-sex marriage for Christians.

Although I'm deliberately soft-pedalling the point after events on other threads, can I point out that as I don't believe in the concept of a 'Christian country', and also therefore don't believe in Christians using the law to impose their beliefs and moral standards on non-Christians in the style of Muslim 'Sharia', I'm not opposing the legal provision of SSM in a religiously and philosophically pluralist state. Ideally, I don't believe Christians should practice SSM; and in turn I believe that because I don't find sufficient reason in the Bible.

Alan Cresswell, sorry but for now I've run out of time to answer your point; apologies also to others like Curiosity killed the cat.

quote:
can I point out that as I don't believe in the concept of a 'Christian country', and also therefore don't believe in Christians using the law to impose their beliefs and moral standards on non-Christians ... I'm not opposing the legal provision of SSM in a religiously and philosophically pluralist state.

Which is an irrelevant tangent. The question (on this thread) is not about whether or not nation states legally recognise same sex marriages. The question is, in countries where the state legally recognises marriage should the Church "bless" (whatever that means) such marriages?

quote:
On the text about God making humans 'male and female' I'm aiming/hoping to be back later tonight with a more detailed exposition.

He also made them intersex. Not many of them, admittedly, but some. Your exposition will need to deal with that.

It will also have to avoid treading on a vast number of landmine generalisations that risk alienating/invalidating any heterosexual man or woman that doesn't happen to match whatever characteristic you give to an archetypal male or archetypal female. Best of luck with that.

Because, fundamentally, "likes having sex with women" is just one characteristic attributed to an archetypal male. It happens to be one that I break. But there are other characteristics that some other male on the Ship will break.

[ 10. June 2015, 12:25: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
He also made them intersex. Not many of them, admittedly, but some. Your exposition will need to deal with that.

I think that can be explained by the fall, so in the creation account we see the model which since has been corrupted to lesser or greater degrees.

quote:
quote:
On the text about God making humans 'male and female' I'm aiming/hoping to be back later tonight with a more detailed exposition.

It will also have to avoid treading on a vast number of landmine generalisations that risk alienating/invalidating any heterosexual man or woman that doesn't happen to match whatever characteristic you give to an archetypal male or archetypal female. Best of luck with that.

Because, fundamentally, "likes having sex with women" is just one characteristic attributed to an archetypal male. It happens to be one that I break. But there are other characteristics that some other male on the Ship will break.

Yes, I am curious if conservative Christians see sex and gender in terms of basic templates, thus, men are male and masculine, from which divergences occur, thus, some men don't feel male, some don't feel masculine, some don't desire women, some don't desire anyone, some wear women's clothes, and so on. Is the template then some kind of divine archetype, from which it is sinful to diverge? On the other hand, we have, let a 100 flowers bloom.

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

I think that can be explained by the fall, so in the creation account we see the model which since has been corrupted to lesser or greater degrees.
But being intersex is not a disability. It can involve disability or a greater risk of certain conditions, but that applies to all sexes, eg XY individuals being prone to prostate/testicular cancer.

Suggesting that being intersex is a disability is awful and inhumane. It is just a different sex, I don't see why that is such a threat to people like you.

Who mentioned disability?

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
quote:

Yes, I am curious if conservative Christians see sex and gender in terms of basic templates, thus, men are male and masculine, from which divergences occur, thus, some men don't feel male, some don't feel masculine, some don't desire women, some don't desire anyone, some wear women's clothes, and so on. Is the template then some kind of divine archetype, from which it is sinful to diverge? On the other hand, we have, let a 100 flowers bloom.
I would say that there is a model, for sure. Whether or not any departure from that is sinful, or just the result of sin entering into the world, or both, is a different question.

quote:
quote:

One can see anything that one doesn't like as being "explained by the fall". That's not an explanation so much as a hand-waving excuse.

It's very easy to reason "that seems good, so it's from God, that seems not good, so it's not from God", which is in the very opposite of the reasoning process that should occur. What happens when two people look at the exact same thing, and one finds the thing "good" and the other doesn't?

[ 10. June 2015, 13:33: Message edited by: orfeo ]

And I'm curious, does this mean miscarriages are a result of the fall?

After all, living breathing intersex people are actually a success story of the human reproductive process, relatively speaking. There are a great many embryos that aren't even viable.

And how does this square with species that are known to change gender, as a matter of course? Is this natural phenomenon "fallen"? Of course, I accept that something being "natural" doesn't preclude it being "fallen", but if God created male and female and everything going on the Ark was in pairs because that's the way it was always intended, I now find myself speculating about whether God originally created clownfish male and female but it all went wrong afterwards.

quote:
quote:
quote:

One can see anything that one doesn't like as being "explained by the fall". That's not an explanation so much as a hand-waving excuse.

It's very easy to reason "that seems good, so it's from God, that seems not good, so it's not from God", which is in the very opposite of the reasoning process that should occur. What happens when two people look at the exact same thing, and one finds the thing "good" and the other doesn't?

It's not an excuse. As I said, we have a model. As for the last part, either one of them is wrong or they're both wrong but they can't be both right.

quote:
And I'm curious, does this mean miscarriages are a result of the fall?

After all, living breathing intersex people are actually a success story of the human reproductive process, relatively speaking. There are a great many embryos that aren't even viable.

And how does this square with species that are known to change gender, as a matter of course? Is this natural phenomenon "fallen"? Of course, I accept that something being "natural" doesn't preclude it being "fallen", but if God created male and female and everything going on the Ark was in pairs because that's the way it was always intended, I now find myself speculating about whether God originally created clownfish male and female but it all went wrong afterwards.

To the first question, yes. To the second, I don't know.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's not an excuse. As I said, we have a model. As for the last part, either one of them is wrong or they're both wrong but they can't be both right.
I would say they're both wrong in that the premise and the conclusion are the wrong way around.

It's not the case that if something seems good, it must be from God. It's the case that if something is from God, we can reason that it's good.

Ascribing something to the fall because it doesn't seem good to you is usurping your feelings on the subject for God's.

[ 10. June 2015, 15:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

I agree that if something seems good it doesn't necessarily mean that it is, but that's not what I'm say at all and neither is it my reasoning.

quote:
I think the Son of God basing an argument about marriage on the fact of God creating them 'male and female ' goes a little beyond mere 'silence'.

That's stretching a text - so there are males and females. And there are male homosexuals and female homosexuals.

So what.

You may as well say

that married peope aren't worthy to enter heaven.

quote:
Who mentioned disability?

Sorry, I understood things like disability and other harmful things to be a consequence of the Fall - but I don't understand the idea that being intersex is. If it's not inherently harmful then why is it a result of the Fall?

quote:
I agree that if something seems good it doesn't necessarily mean that it is, but that's not what I'm say at all and neither is it my reasoning.

Then what is your reasoning? What basis do you have for connecting the existence of intersex people with the fall other than your own 'ickiness' over the concept of intersex people?

You yourself rejected any equation of intersex with disability. So what other basis is there for labelling being intersex as a problem?

I'm trying to imagine what would happen if you actually walked up to an intersex person and said "your existence is evidence of the fall". I can't imagine they'd be pleased with you.

And the proposition is skirting terribly close to a theological proposition that gets rejected several times in the Bible. Maybe it's not QUITE the same as looking at a blind man and asking Jesus "so who sinned, him or the parents?" but it's still an uncomfortable proposition to me to look at someone's physical state and say "ah yeah, evidence of the fallen state of mankind generally". And unlike homosexuality we're talking about a situation where the notion of "choice" cannot possibly be raised (not that I think that's accurate for homosexuality anyway).

by Alan Cresswell
quote:
Which is an irrelevant tangent. The question (on this thread) is not about whether or not nation states legally recognise same sex marriages. The question is, in countries where the state legally recognises marriage should the Church "bless" (whatever that means) such marriages?
Totally agree on this. I was just trying to make sure everyone else was clear on that. Whether Christians feel it appropriate to 'bless' such a union depends on whether they believe it right in Christian terms. 'Bless' would appear to imply approval - the question is can we approve? Which in turn depends on whether we can show that God approves - which according to the Bible does not appear to be the case.

by leo;
quote:
That's stretching a text - so there are males and females. And there are male homosexuals and female homosexuals.

So what.

You may as well say

that married people aren't worthy to enter heaven.

As regards that last, I don't know of many people - indeed I don't think I know any - who think Jesus was suggesting that marriage in this age means unworthiness to enter the next age! The essentially trick question he was answering was about a completely different concept. This is not your first "You may as well say...." argument which doesn't make sense and has nothing to do with what I'm actually saying. I'm getting fed up of them.

As regards the rest, that doesn't make sense either. Go back to the gospel text and this time think it through properly.

quote:
quote:

Then what is your reasoning? What basis do you have for connecting the existence of intersex people with the fall other than your own 'ickiness' over the concept of intersex people?

You yourself rejected any equation of intersex with disability. So what other basis is there for labelling being intersex as a problem?

I'm trying to imagine what would happen if you actually walked up to an intersex person and said "your existence is evidence of the fall". I can't imagine they'd be pleased with you.

And the proposition is skirting terribly close to a theological proposition that gets rejected several times in the Bible. Maybe it's not QUITE the same as looking at a blind man and asking Jesus "so who sinned, him or the parents?" but it's still an uncomfortable proposition to me to look at someone's physical state and say "ah yeah, evidence of the fallen state of mankind generally". And unlike homosexuality we're talking about a situation where the notion of "choice" cannot possibly be raised (not that I think that's accurate for homosexuality anyway).

My reasoning is this: we have a model which is good, the creation account, how things should have been had our first parents not sinned. Male and female he created them, it says. Yes, I would understand all that much more literally than most here.

[ 11. June 2015, 01:29: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

quote:
by leo;
quote:

So what.

You may as well say

that married people aren't worthy to enter heaven.

As regards that last, I don't know of many people - indeed I don't think I know any - who think Jesus was suggesting that marriage in this age means unworthiness to enter the next age! The essentially trick question he was answering was about a completely different concept. This is not your first "You may as well say...." argument which doesn't make sense and has nothing to do with what I'm actually saying. I'm getting fed up of them.

As regards the rest, that doesn't make sense either. Go back to the gospel text and this time think it through properly.

I agree - the point is that when you stretch a text to justify something that isn't there, that is what you get.

And there ARE people who interpret the text that way - like that very big church which enforces celibacy upon its clergy.

by leo;
quote:
And there ARE people who interpret the text that way - like that very big church which enforces celibacy upon its clergy.
Awful as the RC Church sometimes is, I don't think even they actually teach "that married people aren't worthy to enter heaven." As far as I know, they also have the usual interpretation that, as the question to Jesus and his answer both imply, marriage in this life is totally worthy.

Honestly, this is getting rather desperate on your side. As I suggested, please pull out and rethink.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:

Honestly, this is getting rather desperate on your side. As I suggested, please pull out and rethink.

If anything it's your attempts to twist Christ's words to fit a homophobic agenda that look desperate.

Well, I can see this thread has been led a merry dance since I had to leave it to attend to other matters.

quote:
I'm trying to sort out what at least ought to be 'the Christian position' according to the original teachings rather than all the stuff we've made up later to accomodate the world.

To return to the OP, I think that accommodation is precisely what the EPUdF declaration is about.

Echoing terms that have been used above, I think, quetzalcoatl, that the "male and female" couple in Genesis is indeed an archetype, a word I used a lot here.

I expect this archetype to endure in the long term if only because, when all's said and done, it's the simplest way for humans to procreate.

Post-fall, we all fall short of the mark. That comes out in different ways for different people. There are relationships, gay and straight that fall short of the mark - probably all of them - but I don't think that means they are beyond redemption, transformation, or perhaps most importantly, accommodation.

Jesus did not forbid divorce but allowed it due to the hardness of men's hearts. What I read there is that he agrees to accommodate it, but not to set it up as an example.

Furthermore, I think that "accommodation without holding up as an example to follow" falls within the semantic field of "blessing", although not everyone agrees (this has been discussed at some length in Purgatory here).

To my mind that is where the EPUdF declaration has got to as regards blessing same-sex couples, and, on a case-by-case basis (like the declaration), it's where I currently find myself standing, in much the same way as I do on remarriage of divorcees, dedicating infants, and a host of other non-sacramental, non-civic things church communities do.

© Ship of Fools 2016