Thread: Best Avatar Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000009

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Who has the best avatar on the Ship? All custom avatars are eligible for this award, but not images from the Ship's avatar gallery.

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Avatar

As seen here: Insert clickable link to the Shipmate's profile page here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Smudgie

As seen here: Profile link

My reasons for nominating: It's just so cute [Smile]

Posted by Sylvander (# 12857) on :

Smudgie for president!

I'll second this one as I was about to suggest her, too. Just looking at her avatar makes me smile each time.

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed...

As seen here: Curiosity Killed ...

My reasons for nominating: It's handmade by CK. That's about as custom as it gets.

Posted by PrettyFly (# 13157) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Emma Louise

As seen here: Emma Louise

My reasons for nominating:
I've just always thought it was very pretty - I'm fluffy like that - and I love the accompanying "Storm in a Teapot" status.

Posted by KenWritez (# 3238) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Scot

As seen here: Scot (His avatar is not on his profile page.)

My reasons for nominating: Scot's avatar is creative, striking, simple, unique and memorable. It's one of the best avatars I've ever seen and I've always liked it and envied it.

[ 11. December 2008, 21:23: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

Posted by Sha_Sha (# 10880) on :

I nominate: Monkeylizard

As Seen Here: Monkeylizard

Reason: It looks like a cat I had did when he was wet.

Posted by Geneviève (# 9098) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Triple Tiara

As Seen Here:

Reason: I have always enjoyed TT's sense of humor, intellect, and lack of fanaticism regarding his faith tradition. The avatar is fabulous, and over the top. A wonderful chuckle. in all his glory

[ 12. December 2008, 13:19: Message edited by: Geneviève ]

Sorry for the screw-up above. Again:
NOMINATION

As Seen Here: in all his glory

Reason: As in the above post--great sense of humor, intellect, not fanatic about his tradition, all shown wonderfully in the avatar

[ 12. December 2008, 13:23: Message edited by: Geneviève ]

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

I second Triple Tiara's nomination. When he first got his new Avatar, it quickly caused a stir down in Eccles. It derailed this thread and turned it into a little Counter-Reformation.

I can't think of any other avatar that has made such a splash this year. The banter it caused was entertaining.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I Nominate; Huia

For; Best Avatar

As seen; Top left of this post.

Reason; It is the best depiction in an avatar of the nothingness out of which God created, therefore without it no other avatars would be. [Big Grin]

Huia

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Lots of Yay

As seen here: Yay's profile.

My reasons for nominating: Her avatar and title still make me smile every time she posts.

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Zwingli

As seen here: At the top left of this post.

My reasons for nominating: His avatar is so original and classy, Huia decided to steal it. [Razz]

Edited to poke tongue out at Huia.

[ 12. December 2008, 20:52: Message edited by: Zwingli ]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Lady in Red

As seen here: click

My reasons for nominating: I think it's sexy. Not sure why. Just strikes me that way. Something about the partially-covered face. The gloves. The Look. The pencil-point chin. I dunno. It works.

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

Nomination

Reasons: As mentioned above! It just reeks of Awesomeness, especially after he named me Cardinal! [Big Grin]

Cardinal Max. S.J.

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

And another one:

NOMINATION: Triple Tiara

FOR: Best Avatar

REASONS: What Genevieve and SPK said. Plus I rather like that plucked eyebrow thing he's got going on.

Posted by Paul M (# 37) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Doublethink

My reasons for nominating: I just like it. Mysterious and attractive!

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

I second (or third, or something) Triple Tiara, aka Pope Hadrian VII. When The Atheist copied his avatar, Trip just found one that was even more appropriate.

Ross

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Smudgie

As seen here: profile

My reasons for nominating: Cuz it's tiny cutie-pie...awwww...makes me wanna pet it...cutenes galore...wee one..awwww...pet-pet
[eta: [Axe murder] ]

[ 16. December 2008, 03:17: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Chive

As seen here: ship's nude

My reasons for nominating: This one is so funny because it looks so much like something else - and the cheeky strapline underneath reinforces the view. Rather like when my gmail account login page comes up - I never see a brown box, it always looks like a pair of brown y-fronts! [Eek!] I remember chive having a lot of fun with us trying to get us to guess what the picture really was when it first appeared.

Posted by St.Silas the carter (# 12867) on :

Nomination

As seen here: Clicky.

My reasons for nominating this person are:
Whut dose guys said. And, I've had fun trying to find out what painting it's from.

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

Well thank you everyone who is nominating my avatar. I much appreciate it.

Rossweisse is pretty close to the mark - it was a little comment she dropped at the end of a PM, mentioning my former avatar, which prompted me to take the plunge and get a personalised one. Simon was lightning fast - it pretty much appeared a few moments after my request for it!

I had lots of fun finding something suitable. Eventually I thought of the worst Pope EVER, and found inspiration on the cover of this appropriate book!

It is of course Pope Alexander VI, Rodrigo Borgia, by an anonymous German artist, and now hangs in the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Dijon, France. You can see him in all his glory here.

The ensuing comedy in Eccles was immense fun! I'm glad others enjoyed it as much as I did.

Thanks for the explanation, TT, and I do hope that the resemblance between you and the pope ends with the tiara--for your sake!! [Razz]

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

Me, too. That Borgia painting reminds me of Zippy the Pinhead.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I can stand this no longer. All of you are cruel, unthinking and don't understand inspired choices. Therefore I am forced to act!

NOMINATION

I nominate:Robert Armin

As seen here: Look above

My reasons for nominating: My avatar is the Fool from the Rider-Waite Tarot pack. To some this is a symbol bursting with Christian significance, to others it is so anti-Christian it deserves to be smote with a thunderbolt. Therefore, to me it sums up the whole character of the Ship as a board of Christian unrest. (My nom de plume is that of a historical fool as well, as I seek to be one fool in the company of many others.)

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

I second Robert Armin for Best Avatar.

Not only does it symbolize the holy fool, the Waite card represents the soul before its fall into matter - every misplaced step potentially sending him tumbling. In truth, The Fool represents already fallen humanity preparing to take its first step towards self-knowledge.

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I second Robert Armin for Best Avatar.

Not only does it symbolize the holy fool, the Waite card represents the soul before its fall into matter - every misplaced step potentially sending him tumbling. In truth, The Fool represents already fallen humanity preparing to take its first step towards self-knowledge.

nice one, Gort [Cool]

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: eeGAD

As seen here: profile page

My reasons for nominating: Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Nomination: Chorister

Reason: He's so cute, and always makes me go "aah".

ETA: Oh bugger, I've just realised Chorister's a Host and probably ineligible. Sorry.

[ 21. December 2008, 03:06: Message edited by: piglet ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Red Carpet Gown On

piglet, per the rule changes, hosts are now eligible for nomination.

Red Carpet Gown Off

[ 21. December 2008, 08:33: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: lady in red

As seen here: on the Wit of the Year nominations

My reasons for nominating: I have this distinct recollection of a Heaven thread discussing avatars on which several male Shipmates went all drooley over this avatar. I found the response to be hilarious, so I nominate lady in red for Best Avatar.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I'll third Robert Armin's nomination. He and Gort have summed it up. I think the Tarot image of the Fool, or the Seeker, works beautifully on many levels.

Also, it's a pleasing colour and design, and Robert Armin's screen name has connections to Shakespeare - so what's not to like?

[Cool]

Posted by Pugin (# 57) on :

I like Robert's too.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

Who doesn't think mine is quite nice?
It is easily recognizable and of course, it shows I have my 'heart' on my sleeve for the shipmates.

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
NOMINATION

I nominate: eeGAD

My reasons for nominating: Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man.

Christmas came early to the eeGAD household! (And here I thought being a stowaway meant that nobody was supposed to notice me.) It's an honor just to be nominated with the likes of Triple Tiara, Smudgie, Doublethink, Scot and all.

Thanks for the nod, Erin. as Filmore said, "Disco!"

eeG

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
It is easily recognizable and of course, it shows I have my 'heart' on my sleeve for the shipmates.

I think it's lovely. But not as lovely as mine. Plus mine ties in so well with my username - a pretty flying thing.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
quote:

I think it's lovely. But not as lovely as mine. Plus mine ties in so well with my username - a pretty flying thing.
Well, mine was a special "BABYBEAR' original creation, [Axe murder] so I'm quite proud of it, but, butterflies are so beautiful and yours is a joy to behold.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I feel I should 'fess up that the face in my avatar is not my own, it is a slightly altered version of Angelina Jolie. (I am told I have a passing resemblance to Sandi Toksvig, just so you can see how far off that mark it is !) It is actually modelled on the poster for a film of 1984. I have a themed board identity since I purchased my number and I chose my avatar to match.

I think the 1984-jolie image probably used this picture as a base - because one of the things I altered was to remove the hair hanging over the eye. Unfortunately, I can't find the original montage I made the avatar from.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
quote:

Well, mine was a special "BABYBEAR' original creation, [Axe murder] so I'm quite proud of it, but, butterflies are so beautiful and yours is a joy to behold.
[Big Grin] Group hug!

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Doublethink:
quote:
I feel I should 'fess up that the face in my avatar is not my own, it is a slightly altered version of Angelina Jolie.
If you are going to steal a visage, steal from the best! [Big Grin]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

The Goddess of cheekbones was clearly showing off at that conception ...

© Ship of Fools 2016