homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » To planets unknown (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: To planets unknown
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Fear of the Lord thread, SusanDoris wrote:
quote:
I think that during the next billion or so years, a human purpose should be to find a way of getting to another Earth-type planet somewhere before the sun does burn out!
One, I'm interested in thoughts such as this. This may mark me as a sociopath, but what generations way into the future do or if they are burnt to a crisp by an expanding sun, does not come into my thinking much. I wish them well, and hope they have a good life, but I do not think of them much (except current generations such as my nieces and friends' children all of who(m?) I wish very well). Are you concerned with those in the 23rd century or beyond? Or is this more a desire for humanity to fill a personal dream?

Secondly, will we get off to another solar system? Would you like to go? Where is the science at? Or do you think we may well evolve to cope with changing conditions in the earth (I exclude the death of the sun here as that seems rather extreme).

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dad didn't give a stuff about Climate Change. He reckoned he'd passed the baton and that was our problem now. I can see where he was coming from.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the reason this is - or should be - a concern for us is that the population of another planet will require hundreds of years of planning, and organisation across multiple generations.

More importantly, possibly, we need to learn how to plan and work for things in this way. So the process of some future generation finding somewhere else ot live is directly related to whether we can work long-term today.

So we are stuffed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there is another Earth type planet, it will be occupied. If it is reachable (which is very questionable), we then have the problem of whether we arrive like European conquistadors or Rohingya refugees. Or we think we are the first, but we find we are the second, and are met by the sort of response Syrians were met with in Hungary.

It isn't a solution.

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On present knowledge, and provided we don't mess it up, the earth should be viable for life support for millions of years.

So far as new or additional planets are concerned, there is no viable transport system to get us out of the solar system to a "nearby" goldilocks planet. Even if we find one for sure.

In the "short" term (i.e for a few million years), terraforming Mars would probably be a cheaper alternative earth option. We can't do that yet, but in terms of technology it looks a good deal more achievable than NAFL (nearly as fast as lightspeed) mass transportation.

Unless we find a Stargate in Egypt ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be a solution for a handful of people, but do you seriously imagine it will be possible to ship the entire human race to another planet when the sun burns out? And unless we have evolved well beyond our present state by then, it will be the rich and powerful people who decide who gets to go on the New Ark. I doubt they will be interested in ensuring that the best and brightest of humanity is preserved; they'll be scrambling for places for themselves. Result: the New Earth will be populated by people like Trump.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
It might be a solution for a handful of people, but do you seriously imagine it will be possible to ship the entire human race to another planet when the sun burns out? And unless we have evolved well beyond our present state by then, it will be the rich and powerful people who decide who gets to go on the New Ark. I doubt they will be interested in ensuring that the best and brightest of humanity is preserved; they'll be scrambling for places for themselves. Result: the New Earth will be populated by people like Trump.

I can see the plot for a good novel in that one - several in fact.

I'm pretty sure that it's only my lack of knowledge of the SF genre that stops me knowing which ones have been written already.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
So far as new or additional planets are concerned, there is no viable transport system to get us out of the solar system to a "nearby" goldilocks planet. Even if we find one for sure.

My expectation is that within my lifetime (ie: within the next 50 years) we will have developed and used the technology to be able to determine whether there are any goldilocks planets within about 50-100 light years of earth - that technology being telescopes. We already know of some, though with stars that produce incredible amounts of radiation (so, if the water on those planets hasn't been ripped apart by radiation, it's not going to be a good new home). The difficult bit will be knowing for sure whether or not any planets there are inhabitable without visiting it (at least sending probes) - Too small and any planets will have lost their liquid core and magnetic field, and solar radiation will have stripped their atmosphere, like Mars. Too big and the gravity will mean our Earth-gravity adapted bodies won't cope. A large number of comets and the planets may be bombarded too much. Several large moons and tidal forces may make it a volcanic hell.

Without discovering some new physics and adapting that to be a viable propulsion system, it's conceivable that we'll be able to construct transports to get to a star system within that 50-100 light year range.

Unmanned probes, without the need to maintain a gravity, and provide food and air, can be compact and survive rapid acceleration. So, we might manage to get a probe to rapidly reach 10% light speed or so - especially if we go for a fly-by and decide not to have fuel to decelerate at the other end. Which will still take centuries to get there, and will send back minimal information (and, hopefully someone will still be listening).

For a manned colonisation we will need to have a gravity on board, which means acceleration - either acceleration/deceleration of the whole ship which needs engines that can run non-stop for hundreds of years, or have a ship that's spinning which requires a massive diameter (and, a lot of thrust to get it rotating). You'll need to have farms to provide food, and water recycling (with reserves). And, hospitals, schools and everything else to maintain a technologically capable population through probably at least 10 generations. Fuel for the reactors that power everything. Fuel to allow the ship to enter orbit around a candidate planet, and to ferry people down to their new home in shuttle craft that can land and take off anywhere. And, enough surplus contingency that if there's no hope of settling on planets there that the whole thing can change course and head for a second target system where they may make it.

If there's a new physics discovery leading to a radically new technology all bets are off. As it is, we'd probably need to crack fusion to power anything we send interstellar.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
I'm pretty sure that it's only my lack of knowledge of the SF genre that stops me knowing which ones have been written already.

It's pretty much the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a bit like setting up a base at the bottom of the Arctic Ocean to run without outside intervention for ten generations; except that the environment is way more hostile and even in an emergency there will be no help forthcoming.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things change relatively slowly, and I think that we'll continue to adapt until the human life that we recognise is no longer sustainable. A mass migration is hard to imagine.

If you like SciFi, which I no longer do, "Dawn in Andromeda" by EC Large tells about a group of humans from Earth emerging on a distant planet in another galaxy. It's a very long time since I read it, but if I remember the story, it doesn't say how they got there, but they had full memory of life on Earth and used it to start again from scratch. As a teenager, I wasn't convinced by it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite often being referred to as a pessimist, I too give my best wishes for future generations to scrape through. Just as our generation has largely scraped through, (so far).

Most of us, most of the time, labour away with a short term view. Traveling further and further afield has always been the over arching ambition of we modern humans. The growing realisation that the Final Frontier cannot, in all physical reality, be crossed or conquered is indeed liable to cause serious head problems for humanity in the millennia which lie ahead. Pressuming that is our species is to, per chance, enjoy such longevity.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A better sci-fi exploration of this theme is Ursula le Guin's "Paradises Lost" in the collection "The Birthday of the World". This portrays the arrival on a new planet after several generations, and how badly some people cope, and how a significant number of them choose to remain on the ship even though it's not going to be sustainable long term.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
I think that during the next billion or so years, a human purpose should be to find a way of getting to another Earth-type planet somewhere before the sun does burn out!
One, I'm interested in thoughts such as this. This may mark me as a sociopath, but what generations way into the future do or if they are burnt to a crisp by an expanding sun, does not come into my thinking much. I wish them well, and hope they have a good life, but I do not think of them much (except current generations such as my nieces and friends' children all of who(m?) I wish very well). Are you concerned with those in the 23rd century or beyond? Or is this more a desire for humanity to fill a personal dream?

Secondly, will we get off to another solar system? Would you like to go? Where is the science at? Or do you think we may well evolve to cope with changing conditions in the earth (I exclude the death of the sun here as that seems rather extreme).

See, this seems quite different to me from this:

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
My Dad didn't give a stuff about Climate Change. He reckoned he'd passed the baton and that was our problem now. I can see where he was coming from.

The burning out of the sun is billions of years away, and setting up human colonies on another solar system will require technology we are a long, long way from acquiring at this point. So I personally don't think there's anything "sociopathic" about saying that's a problem that will need to solve long, long down the road by generations far, far removed from us. Yes, wish them well, and continue to pass on a love for science and exploration, but that's about all we can do to help them out.

But climate change is a far far different matter. We aren't nearly as far off-- at most a generation or two-- from very serious consequences of global warming, as indeed we're already beginning to see those consequences. And it's not beyond our technology-- it's just something we haven't sufficiently committed to (and yes, I'm talking mostly to my fellow Americans and our unfortunate Prez). It's a far far different matter to dismiss a concern billions of years down the road that you can do nothing about, and to refuse to do anything about something that is with your power to impact, and will influence our children and grandchildren.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
I think I’m very much a person who tries to make the most of every minute and am very much an optimist, but sometimes, I sit and think of my granddaughters and their descendents, each of whom will sit and wonder about the world their grandchildren will be growing up in. Eventually there will come a time when the scientists, having been aware since the 21st century of how the solar system works and how the sun will eventually burn out and, if travel away from this solar system has not become possible, they will know that the human race and all forms of living things are going to become extinct. By that time, it will be too late to think of escape. That will be long before the sun actually explodes because this planet will have become uninhabitable. I mourn for those far distant people who will belong to the unbroken line of evolution since life started on Earth. They will have the same emotions.
quote:
Our species may well have been lucky enough to have adaptations which enable us to survive a lot, but not the final end. The universe will continue to exist and expand, and the laws of physics, so brilliantly worked out and defined by scientists in only a minute period of time, compared with the billions of years since the start of the univers, will continue to apply. There could well beother intelligent beings on far distant galaxies who will observe this demise and value even more their own lives.

As I have mentioned somewhere, I am reading ‘The solar System’ by Prof Brian cox and it is fascinating, as well as being written in a very accessible way by an enthusiast. It is no good thinking that any planet in this solar Systemwill be a place to move to; without the sun, that is the end of this solar system.

We are just so lucky to live, to have had existence, to have been a very tiny part of the whole thing. I find it endlessly interesting.

I agree with Schroedinger’s Cat about the planning, and withPennyS about the need for better diplomacy than we have at times here on Earth! It seems logical that, like Jane R says, it will not be possible to take the whole of Earth’s population, and I just cannot begin to imagine the way the choice would happen. Future romantics might look to sci-fi for possible answers, but it will be the scientists who will be at the forefront. .The section of the book I am reading at the moment is all about atmospheres, which planets have them, and why, or why not. I have read Alan Cresswell’s post twice already – it would fit right into the book!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so very many books on this subject that I cannot list them. However, People on SoF would surely enjoy A Canticle for Leibowitz bu Walter M. Miller. It came out in the late 50s or early 60s, won many an award, and is a classic of the genre, a highly Christian and very Catholic novel which is readily available.
Miler's contribution to this discussion is that wherever in the universe we emigrate to, it won't be our native habitat. This planet is where the gravity is 1/0, the air pressure, oxygen content, etc., is exactly suitable. When we go, we will leave as Adam left Eden, and an angel with a fiery sword will block the return. In other words, his sermon was, Don't do it. Don't screw up Eden. Stay, and live in Paradise.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do remember reading one (novel, or was it a short story?) where the two people who do escape to a new planet, before the earth is destroyed, are called Adam and Eve. Can't remember what it was called now, but sure someone on here will be able to tell us.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda,

Thanks for mentioning 'Canticle for Leibowitz'! I read it years ago, loved it, and had completely forgotten it, except for the last line, which i remember as 'It was a cold winter for the shark.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

Miler's contribution to this discussion is that wherever in the universe we emigrate to, it won't be our native habitat. This planet is where the gravity is 1/0, the air pressure, oxygen content, etc., is exactly suitable. When we go, we will leave as Adam left Eden, and an angel with a fiery sword will block the return.

In his Mars Trilogy, Kim Stanley Robinson has some of the children (maybe grandchildren - I'm running on memory) return to Earth and struggle with the greater gravity, and appear outlandish by their greater height. Which is a result of nothing more than muscle and bone development, the few generations not being enough for any actual genetic drift to occur.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of the Heinlein novels, the immigrants to Mars developed larger lung capacity, due to the thin atmosphere. (This can be seen in the native populations in the Andes mountains as well, so it's well within human developmental possibility.) This rendered the young women very much more attractive.

One of the larger problems with announcing that the solution to humanity's problems is moving off-planet is that this may sap motivation to fix what we have, or at least to quit trashing it so drastically. If you can always swipe right, you have little inclination to pursue any given relationship.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's in the realm of complete fantasy I believe. 10,000 years to reach even the closest star Proxima Centauri. Which is longer than all human history post-agriculture. So continuing the fantasy, in April 2063 the Vulcans pay us a visit. I will miss it unforunately or dementia will mean I don't understand if I live well into the 3 digits. Of course we're all formed of star dust anyway, with a continuing rain from space.

Now if we did get somewhere, we'd definitely kill the inhabitants after having sex with them. We'd enslave any who survive either directly or via taking their resources. Think African, North American and South American peoples. It's what we do. I don't think anything about us today would cause us to behave any differently.

An interesting angle might be what bible verses will we use this time to justify our behaviour this time. Sheep and goats perhaps. Setting teeth on edge or stuff from Joshua is pretty enabling.

[Tangent]
I had wondered about writing a novel some years ago after reading one about successful Aztec resistance to the Spanish. Taking the Mark Twain idea of a yankee in King Arthur's court, but taking a submarine or destroyer and sinking everything that crosses the Atlantic while arming the western hemisphere and helping them to invade Europe. Kill the Kings of England, France and Spain and turn it all into an Iroquois or Cree Empire. All the Europeans can go to the Canaries, Sardinia, Shetland and Channel Islands which are the EuroReservations. Of course 95% of the population dead before that.
[/url]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I don't believe I've seen one like that, although frankly the lack of ironworking and gunpowder would make a west-to-east invasion difficult. British author Alan Smale has written a recent series about the Roman empire expanding into the new world and dealing with the Native American population.
An older series might be the Lord Darcy stories by Randall Garrett. In which Richard Lionheart lives to engender a line of monarchs who rule to this day; a peaceable partnership is set up with the Aztec kingdoms of Central America and many hijinks ensue.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's more interesting to reset European cultures as second class, denigrated and peripheral. With New World cultures in ascendency. There was an attempt to extinguish in a novel with Chinese and Islam dominating the western hemisphere (if memory serves Days of Rice and Sand) but that is still old world over the new.

The 'new planets' idea seems to me to be a meme. It can draw on one of:
-we go to a new planet with good intentions and Dr Evil manipulates due to profit or megalomania or mommy was mean whilst learning the potty or some such trauma.
-we get there and the diseases kill us or parasitically manipulate us.
-the locals kill us off or enslave us and we are done or some kindly local raises us into ascendency. Sort of a Moses-Jesus thing.
-we repeat everything we did on earth, not exactly, but it rhymes well
-lizard or some other unholy ugly people raise us like cattle, putting us on the menu
-God moved on some time ago, and we recede into legend. Like Midianites, Beothuks, Mohicans or Boetians we are no more.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't believe I've seen one like that, although frankly the lack of ironworking and gunpowder would make a west-to-east invasion difficult. British author Alan Smale has written a recent series about the Roman empire expanding into the new world and dealing with the Native American population.

I wonder if you could give some detail about that "dealing" please? Does it mean dealing in the sense of trading and so forth, or the more traditional way in which European settlers pushed the original inhabitants off their land and generally maltreated them?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Now if we did get somewhere, we'd definitely kill the inhabitants after having sex with them. We'd enslave any who survive either directly or via taking their resources. Think African, North American and South American peoples. It's what we do. I don't think anything about us today would cause us to behave any differently.

I'm inclined to agree with that bleak assessment of our past record. So there is indeed absolutely no reason to believe our conduct would be any different, even if we were to emerge out of a cryogenically frozen condition onto another territory billions of light year miles away. The seeds of sin would have travelled with us as it were, like fleas on a plague ship 🚀

It could even be argued that, at some point in Cosmic history, we have been banished to this, what could be a matrix type thing, in order to prevent our screwing-up of the entire Id, caboodle, or whatever it is. Some sci-fi novel fodder there, or is coffee time?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Childish fantasy. We will NEVER do this. We will never crack fusion and we don't have a billion years, we won't approach a million. There is no exploitable hidden physics regardless of dark matter and energy and we will never get in to a conversation with the neighbours. Ever. Never, ever. As for universal social justice ...

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course the sun won't leave the main sequence for 5 ga and can't explode.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It won't explode in the sense of a supernova, but it will expand mightily into a red giant, whose diameter may or may not encompass the orbit of the earth, but frazzle it up anyway. But there's a lot of other physical things to happen before then.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Billions of years after our species is not even fossils.

--------------------
Love wins

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
And of course the sun won't leave the main sequence for 5 ga and can't explode.

It will however not stay in the stable state it is at present!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Oh indeed Martin - it was just for the record.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Billions of years after our species is not even fossils.

I just wonder how those humans still surviving before it all finally and inevitably ends, and they will certainly know it is inevitable, will feel. Perhaps the despair will be alleviated if they are able to know that many had managed to leav to settle elsewhere.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What humans? I'm surprised at you SusanDoris. Believing such utter unscientific nonsense.

--------------------
Love wins

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

I wonder if you could give some detail about that "dealing" please? Does it mean dealing in the sense of trading and so forth, or the more traditional way in which European settlers pushed the original inhabitants off their land and generally maltreated them?
Alas I haven't read the trilogy -- it's still on my TBR pile. All I know of it is what the author described to me. But here's the first volume described on Goodreads. Be sure and scroll down to look over what other readers think of it.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

I'm inclined to agree with that bleak assessment of our past record. So there is indeed absolutely no reason to believe our conduct would be any different, even if we were to emerge out of a cryogenically frozen condition onto another territory billions of light year miles away. The seeds of sin would have travelled with us as it were, like fleas on a plague ship 🚀

It could even be argued that, at some point in Cosmic history, we have been banished to this, what could be a matrix type thing, in order to prevent our screwing-up of the entire Id, caboodle, or whatever it is. Some sci-fi novel fodder there, or is coffee time?

Um, been done. The space trilogy, by C.S. Lewis.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Childish fantasy. We will NEVER do this. We will never crack fusion and we don't have a billion years, we won't approach a million. There is no exploitable hidden physics regardless of dark matter and energy and we will never get in to a conversation with the neighbours. Ever. Never, ever. As for universal social justice ...

So true. Einstein's laws are uncrackable in real life. However, that's the fun of science fiction. Which has developed this to the point that there are a number of accepted 'get out of jail free' cards that are in standard play. Faster-than-light travel, or instantaneous space communication, or matter transporters Star Trek style, are a few. In novels you just accept these, but the author only gets one, perhaps two.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And we aren't colonizing anywhere in the solar system without a space elevator which we will forever be without.

Fermi's Paradox Mk II applies in that the infinite practically infinite universes teem with sapience eternally constrained by materials science and energetics.

--------------------
Love wins

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:

I do remember reading one (novel, or was it a short story?) where the two people who do escape to a new planet, before the earth is destroyed, are called Adam and Eve. Can't remember what it was called now, but sure someone on here will be able to tell us.
It was an episode of The Twilight Zone. That may have been based on a short story - don't knpw.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And I regret to inform you that it is such a common trope for the beginning writer that many a set of guidelines specifically warns you not to write it. "... and it turns out they're Adam and Eve" is a cliche in the industry, and so unsaleable.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I just wonder how those humans still surviving before it all finally and inevitably ends, and they will certainly know it is inevitable, will feel. Perhaps the despair will be alleviated if they are able to know that many had managed to leav to settle elsewhere.

I guess we might have to invent a narrative, or fable pertaining to people having reached an alternative destination.
Err... wait a minute, this is all beginning to sound rather familiar.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

I guess we might have to invent a narrative, or fable pertaining to people having reached an alternative destination.
Err... wait a minute, this is all beginning to sound rather familiar.

[Smile] A good point at which to close down SofF for today!

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Remember, we are the Golgafrincham B Ark telephone sanitizers.

--------------------
Love wins

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there are those who think it will be a good thing when humans die out and the planet is returned to the plants and animals, to let nature do its own thing without interference. To that way of thinking, humanity is an errant blip on an otherwise 'perfect' world!

[ 03. September 2017, 17:49: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

A nicely bizarre way of thinking, as if the Earth was 'perfect', whatever that could possibly mean in meaningless existence, without man then it's just as perfect with man. Unless perfect means biodiversity unaffected by man. So species collapse due to peak glaciation, let alone snowball earth or the formation of a supercontinent is perfect?

--------------------
Love wins

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the most preposterous part of the topic is the notion that the human species will still be around in a billion years. Individual species do not generally last so long. You could say "or some species descended from human", but even that is unlikely.

If we do last so long, we will probably have good enough science and engineering to remake the sun into whatever we like.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That makes at least three of us.

--------------------
Love wins

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Childish fantasy. We will NEVER do this. We will never crack fusion and we don't have a billion years, we won't approach a million. There is no exploitable hidden physics regardless of dark matter and energy and we will never get in to a conversation with the neighbours.
Ever. Never, ever. As for universal social justice ...

A sci-fi future in which the human race is united against the bug-eyed monsters, and working together on the project of interstellar travel has its attractions. An open system in which individuals can achieve on behalf of the species.

If the alternative is a closed system in which the height of our aspirations is a different distribution of finite resources,we war against those of our fellows who hold different ideas of social justice, and achieving anything is at somebody else's expense, then bring on the bug-eyed monsters...

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Um, been done. The space trilogy, by C.S. Lewis.
He wrote several essays on the topic as well, vehemently agreeing with no prophet's analysis. In "Religion and Rocketry" he writes: "But let us thank God that we are still very far from travel to other worlds..."
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Childish fantasy.

So is dreaming of a New Heaven and a New Earth.

I think we call it hope, and we curse those who take it away.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once attended a talk by a person into terraforming, who used an overhead projector to explain Drake's Equation. He finished by referring to a woman who had accused his plan for seeding the galaxy with humans of being a form of cosmic rape and revealing his final illustration. Whereas all his equations had been in green, this was in pink, and one which can be seen in places where the imagination of graffiti "artists" cannot get beyond their own anatomy. (He also had a badge saying "size does matter").
It was quite a surprise to see him credited in one of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books.
The thought of him going forth to carry on the human enterprise - and I think it would be people like him who would want to - is disturbing. I'd prefer the telephone sanitizers.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016