homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Russ, you are either incredibly stupid or a Trolling Bigot (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Russ, you are either incredibly stupid or a Trolling Bigot
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is it?
Time and again on the Gay Bakery DH thread, your questions are answered and yet you insist on ignoring this and rephrasing them.
Again, are your stupid or a trolling bigot?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the binary either/or is not all we have? There's the both/and option

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely both. Bigoted AND dumb as a sack of hammers.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, no, no, no; hammers are useful.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's intelligent enough but he simply doesn't engage with the substance of anyone else's posts: he treats them as abstract objects to be challenged rather than a part of what could be a constructive dialogue.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. All except mine, which don't exist. Isn't that the characteristic of a psychopath?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Hmmm. All except mine, which don't exist. Isn't that the characteristic of a psychopath?

No, it is a characteristic of an overdeveloped imagination.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the many things I lack.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
He's intelligent enough but he simply doesn't engage with the substance of anyone else's posts: he treats them as abstract objects to be challenged rather than a part of what could be a constructive dialogue.

Based on past history here on the ship, I think it is entirely intentional and malicious. Which is why I started this thread.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who never answers questions isn't interested in having a discussion.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ: is it that you don't believe sexuality should be a protected characteristic? Or that if it *is*, other characteristics should also be protected? Or that you don't believe there should be *any* protected characteristics?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Someone who never answers questions isn't interested in having a discussion.

Same for someone who doesn't seem to read what others have said in answer to his questions, but just keeps on stating his opinion and raising the same already answered questions.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
But if you refuse to order a book for any customer, then you're discriminating against the book. ...

Look, it's Russ' favourite debate tactic, the category error. Legally, one cannot discriminate against a book any more than one can divorce a horse. Books don't have the right to exist or the right to be sold or the right to be read because inanimate objects don't have rights.

What kind of idiot equates "discriminating against books" with real-life discrimination against real people? Russ, come over here. I want to show you The Big Book of Rusty Farm Implements.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Russ: is it that you don't believe sexuality should be a protected characteristic? Or that if it *is*, other characteristics should also be protected? Or that you don't believe there should be *any* protected characteristics?

I think the issue here might be that sexuality can be a protected characteristic; but right now it is being afforded protection at the wrong level, so that it receives not merely equality but inappropriate special status.
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What kind of idiot equates "discriminating against books" with real-life discrimination against real people? Russ, come over here. I want to show you The Big Book of Rusty Farm Implements.

Ooooh... ...do you have the pop-up version, or just the pictorial one?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

I think the issue here might be that sexuality can be a protected characteristic; but right now it is being afforded protection at the wrong level, so that it receives not merely equality but inappropriate special status.
Oooh, two for one! It isn't receiving any more special Statius than other protected characteristics, it is simply that Christians are being forced to act more Christian.

Since you are here dear heart, can you be ever so kind and explain why homosexuals are "the worst"?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Oooh, two for one! It isn't receiving any more special Statius than other protected characteristics, it is simply that Christians are being forced to act more Christian.

It's receiving too much protection because we really REALLY hate teh gayz and want to discriminate them so bad. We can just barely stand to have to sell cakes to ni**ers. But teh gayz are the central hated group right now in the fundagelical world. God has told us plain and simple to hate them with a perfect hate. Never to sell cakes to them. Never to shake their hands. Never to acknowledge their existence. To kick our children out of the house if they say they're gay. GOD demands all these things. How dare the STATE want us to put up with them long enough to bake them a cake?

THIS IS WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO.

quote:
Since you are here dear heart, can you be ever so kind and explain why homosexuals are "the worst"?
Good luck with that.

[ 19. December 2016, 22:32: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by lilBuddha;
quote:
I've rechecked my original comment, and as I remembered it doesn't say 'homosexuals are "the worst"'. It's a comment on that general phenomenon, seen also in the constant revisional euphemisms for the 'toilet', whereby when people try to hijack a nice word for something in fact ugly, you simply lose the nice and have ugliness left. All those joyous and delightful meanings the word 'gay' used to have, and now it's about men doing sex by stuffing their penises up other men's shitholes.... A major improvement of the use of English, I don't think!
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by lilBuddha;
quote:
I've rechecked my original comment, and as I remembered it doesn't say 'homosexuals are "the worst"'. It's a comment on that general phenomenon, seen also in the constant revisional euphemisms for the 'toilet', whereby when people try to hijack a nice word for something in fact ugly, you simply lose the nice and have ugliness left. All those joyous and delightful meanings the word 'gay' used to have, and now it's about men doing sex by stuffing their penises up other men's shitholes.... A major improvement of the use of English, I don't think!
You putrescent piece of festering shit. "Gay" does not mean anal sex. Many gay couples eschew anal sex; many straight couples enjoy it. Learn something about the world next time you go away and come back again with your ignorant stereotypes. Or at the very least, stop being the ugliness you deride.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And here, ladies and gentlemen, we see quite nakedly what lies behind 90% of the righteous homophobia in this world: The Ick Factor.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by lilBuddha;
quote:
Highjacked? "Gay" has carried a connotation of immorality for at least 400 years; it has been used to mean homosexual for at least 150 years. What you inaccurately describe as highjacking is people successfully taking control of a perjorative used about them.

Language changes. In this case, yes, I think it has changed for the better.

Oh, and what mousethief said.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
by lilBuddha;
quote:
You are an idiot as well as a tool. Since your knowledge of anatomy is likely as woeful as your knowledge of sex, let me educate you.
That organ you use to penetrate your wife¹; urine comes out of it. A woman's urethra it between the clitoris and the vaginal orifice, so urine in that area as well. If you've ever made her orgasm,² it is well likely that fluid leaked from the urethra at that time. Especially if she is a squirter.

¹This is assuming you have gotten any closer to a vagina than your computer screen.
²In the unlikely case of ¹, I still doubt you can manage this.

One wonders also if you have ever heard of soap.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we see quite nakedly what lies behind 90% of the righteous homophobia in this world: The Ick Factor.

I think there is a power thing as well. CF homosexual relationships in the ancient world and contemporary prison sex.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by lilBuddha;
quote:
I've rechecked my original comment, and as I remembered it doesn't say 'homosexuals are "the worst"'. It's a comment on that general phenomenon...
Bullshit.

Your quote:
quote:
OK, just being a bit annoyed that as usual we lose the best of our wonderful language to the worst ...
While you didn't specifically say "homosexuals are the worst" - there isn't really any other interpretation in the context that doesn't involve consigning being gay to being amongst (if not actually) the worst thing ever.

Jesus must be so proud of you right now.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was quite obvious ages ago, as I drew attention to here: http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000625;p=9#000414

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

It was quite obvious ages ago, as I drew attention to here: http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000625;p=9#000414
Good call. It's so true that it becomes blindingly obvious twice in the same thread. Grow up, Steve. Your attitude kills people. Quite literally.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:

anal sex obsession

Time to do some math, Steve. The overwhelming majority of anal sex acts are enjoyed by opposite-sex couples.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

anal sex obsession

Time to do some math, Steve. The overwhelming majority of anal sex acts are enjoyed by opposite-sex couples.
Indeed. May I quote another Steve for you, Steve (I hope not too extensively for the hosts' taste - this is about one page from a four-hundred-and-something page book). An authoritative voice on the subject of gayness, or faggery, or whatever you would like to style it.

"My own view is that most homophobia, if one wants to use that rather crummy word, has almost nothing to do with sex. 'But do you have any idea what these people actually do? Self-righteous members of the House of Commons loved standing to ask that question during our last parliamentary debate on the age of homosexual consent. 'Shit-stickers, that's what they are. Let's be clear about that. We're talking about sodomy here.' Oh, no you aren't. You think you are, but you aren't, you know.

Buggery is far less prevalent in the gay world than people suppose. Anal sex is probably not much more common in homosexual encounters than it is in heterosexual. Buggery is not at the end of the yellow brick road somewhere over the homosexual rainbow, it is not the prize, the purpose, the goal, or the fulfilment of homosexuality. Buggery is not the achievement which sees homosexuality move from becoming into being; buggery is not homosexuality's realisation or destiny. Buggery is as much a necessary condition of homosexuality as the ownership of a Volvo estate car is a necessary condition of middle-class family life, linked irretrievably only in the minds of the witless and the cheap. The performance of buggery is no more a part of homosexuality than an orange syllabub is an inevitable part of a dinner: some may clamour for it and instantly demand a second helping, some are not interested, some decide they will try it once and then instantly vomit.

There are plenty of things to be got up to in the homosexual world outside the orbit of the anal ring, but the concept that really gets the goat of the gay-hater, the idea that really spins their melon and sickens their stomach is that most terrible and terrifying of all human notions, love.

That one can love another of the same gender, that is what the homophobe really cannot stand. Love in all eight tones and all five semitones of the word's full octave. Love as agape, Eros, and philos, love as romance, friendship, and adoration; love as infatuation, obsession, and lust, love as torture, euphoria, ecstasy and oblivion (this is beginning to read like a Calvin Klein catalogue); love as need, passion, and desire.

All the rest of it, parking your dick up an arse, slurping at a helmet, whipping, frotting, peeing, pooing, squatting like a dog, dressing up in plastic and leather - all these go on in the world of boy and girl too: and let's be clear about this, they go on more - the numbers make it so."

The immortal Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot, 1997.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Started watching London Spies last night. Brilliant. Netflix only gave it 60% - 3/5 stars, I wonder why?

--------------------
Love wins

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
by lilBuddha;
quote:
You putrescent piece of festering shit. "Gay" does not mean anal sex. Many gay couples eschew anal sex; many straight couples enjoy it. Learn something about the world next time you go away and come back again with your ignorant stereotypes. Or at the very least, stop being the ugliness you deride.
With apologies to Gertrude, the bigot doth protest too much, methinks.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:

Based on what? You can think all you want. It would be better, in fact, if you did it a little more than this response demonstrates.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

ISTM, he was talking about Langton.
But I've always hated that kind of response. Homophobia is way the hell more than a few vociferous self-haters. And reducing it to such terms does nothing to help reduce it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Based on what? You can think all you want. It would be better, in fact, if you did it a little more than this response demonstrates.
It's clear from the context I wasn't directing my comment at you, so you may want to start heeding your own advice.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You quote a post in which my words are the last words, and they are strident words raking somebody else over the coals, then you say it's obvious you weren't talking to me with your charge of hypocrisy. No. It is not obvious.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
With apologies to Gertrude, the bigot* doth protest too much, methinks.
There are three people nested in the quote this references, but only one bigot. Hint: it isn't you or me.
It was a lazy and inelegant post, but pretty clear as to who was meant. IMO.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Clearly not clear to everybody. Which rather matters.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I don't know, but sometimes it seems we have too many Travis Bickles

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Gaaa. I have been googling doctors all day and now you're going to make me google a cultural reference.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

quote:
quote:
quote:

It's clear from the context I wasn't directing my comment at you...
On my first reading I was thinking "Da fuq he say that for?" Only on rereading did I realise who you were referring to, so not clear.

And as lil Buddha has pointed out - this isn't the best comeback. It always strikes me that such a response (little more than "I bet you're gay too") merely reinforces that calling someone gay is an insult. Which it may be to the bigot, but I'd rather they stopped thinking that way.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gaaa. I have been googling doctors all day and now you're going to make me google a cultural reference.

Taxi Driver: "You talkin' to me?"
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Taxi Driver: "You talkin' to me?"
So Travis Bickles is a New York taxi driver?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Seriously? You don't know Taxi Driver? You talkin' to me?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Nope. I don't do movies.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see nothing has changed during my latest vacation.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Welcome back!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Welcome back!
An appearance here pretty much means the rest of my life has failed to provide any sustenance or meaning**, but I appreciate the sentiment.

**I've run out of porn to watch.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
**I've run out of porn to watch.

Given the amount of porn on the internet, I'm now slightly worried.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Orfeo may have a very specific, very narrowly-focused fetish.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Indeed. It involves bakeries.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The young, hot guys with the well-defined abs are just the frosting on the cake.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016