homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Calvinism: Can It Be Rehabilitated? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Calvinism: Can It Be Rehabilitated?
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Weslian:

The mode of thought in the synoptic gospels is contrete, short sayings, stories and poetry. Often talking of things allusively, rather than directly. In the Creeds it is abstract, phiolosophical doctrinal statement. John's gospel is more philosophical than the synoptics, but even that seems to represent a different way of thinking than the creeds.

I suppose this takes us pretty far from Calvinism, but...

I agree that the creeds are quite different from the Gospel, but I don't think that this is because they are "hellenistic" and the Gospels are not. They simply are different genres: a gospel is a story and a creed is like a grammar book to help those who are having trouble figuring out the story. I would say that the grammar is not much use without the story, but that doesn't mean that it isn't useful (and even necessary) to help most of us understand the story. Also, a creed is a profession of faith in a way that a story is not. Creeds originated not to tell the story of Jesus, but to indicate one's acceptance of that story.

FCB

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No condescension intended, Nunc - I wanted to publicly akcnowledge that how I'd originally responded to you was in flat contradiction to what I'd said prior to that about the how theology comes about.

Tedward - I don't think we can get around this point by saying God strengthened an already hardened Pharonic heart. It's perfectly clear from Exodus, and made explicit in Romans 9 by Paul, that this process of hardening was instigated by God in order to prove God's glory - thus making Pharoah something of an unwilling participant in YHWH's game. A fall guy, if you will. Paul then goes on to quote psalms and prophets shwoing that hardness and blindness of heart is God's chosen state for some people, in order that he can be shown to be so glorious to others. Now, I'm not saying this is right or worng (I think it's wrong, but that's not the point here). What is clear that to dismiss certain streams of thought one has to start dismissing quite foundational parts of Christian tradition.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
afish
Shipmate
# 1135

- Posted      Profile for afish   Email afish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tip-toe through the tulips eh! Well let’s give it a go. Although I’m only a four fifths calvanist I think the tulip is an elegant and worthy flower. It certainly is not some species of hemlock as Mousethief and others try to make out.

Let’s take the depravity and perserverence petals together. They are a bit like two sides of the same coin. We can do nothing to earn eternal life and once we have it (since it is eternal) we can do nothing either to keep it or lose it. As SteveTom points out “total depravity” is not a statement about the moral condition of individuals. It is a description of the spiritual condition of the human race. “Let the dead bury their dead” said The Lord. “ You were dead in your tresspasses and sins.” said his apostle. This does of course have a huge implication for every individual. The christian message is NOT that we need to do better or that we should be good. The christian message is that we are dead and need to receive life. Regeneration is the issue not reform.

The election and the grace petals also go together. Both hinge on the fact of God’s sovereignty and both squeak on the fact of human free-will. Are there really christians out there who seriously believe either, that God is not sovereign or, that we are not responsible for the decisions we take? If there are those who find that these two truths put together disorientate tidy but oh so fallible and limited human reasoning, tough! Neither can be broken.
Mousethief your assertion that election and grace petals of the tulip of necessity imply that God’s decisions on who is saved are arbitrary and that the choice an individual may make is not in fact a choice at all, is well below your usual standard of debate. Why arbitrary? God is always sovereign never arbitrary. He may well pressure us even hound us but in the end the individual exercises choice without in anyway nullifying the inevitability of that choice.

Ok lastly “limited atonement”. This is a bit of a puzzle to me. Until someone, some years ago, explained this to me I had always assumed that the potency of Christ’s sacrifice was such that nothing (except refusal) and no-one was beyond its scope. I haven’t up to now changed that view. But the puzzle is, I can’t see what real difference it would make if I did. The point seems completely academic without (unlike the other four points) any application or outcome for the here and now. Am I missing something? Some how it would be more satisfying to wave a complete tulip rather than an incomplete one.

><>
I see that many have posted since I last looked. So apologize for any repetition.

--------------------
"Some things are too hot to touch
The human mind can only stand so much"
Bob Dylan

Posts: 168 | From: France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by afish:
Are there really christians out there who seriously believe either, that God is not sovereign or, that we are not responsible for the decisions we take? If there are those who find that these two truths put together disorientate tidy but oh so fallible and limited human reasoning, tough! Neither can be broken.

now, see... there is my problem.

i can handle God being three beings as well as one. i can handle the resurrection and miracles. i can even handle the foolishness of the supreme being wanting to hang out with me, and wanting me to hang out with him.

i cannot handle two mutually exclusive statements. (taking these two statements about God's absolute, unwaiving sovereignty and our responibility to their (IMO justified) extremes)

either one or both of these statements are wrong, or our entire system of understanding is wrong.

it makes no sense for me to throw out my system of understanding, as it will get me nowhere. without it, i could not function. i have to conclude that these mutually exclusive statements must be in err.

or have i just got the wrong end of the stick? is God just a-little-bit-sovereign? are we only responsible for our actions in name?

i can only see it as God, being sovereign, suspending his sovereignty. he is not in control; stuff doesn't happen as he wants it to, because he feels something is more important: IMO, our free-will.

i've said before, i'm no professional theologian, not even studied it really, so i apologise if this is all elementary chapter one stuff. if it is, please let me know, and i'll shut up!

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Christianity is littered with contridictions, Jesus was fully Man and Fully God and that sort of thing.

The nature of God is that he often has seemingly conflicting natures!

Not that I am defending Calvinism, I just dont see that as a problem myself.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i can get that 'contradiction'... i can see how it is possible to be fully something and fully something else. p'raps i just get round it by thinking of people with dual nationalities - they're not really half german and half english (for example), but fully german and fully english.

not a brilliant example, but it helps me understand. that's the sort of thing i need here, i think. some form of illustration of how God can be FULLY in control, but when we do stuff wrong, it's our fault. p'raps if i can picture that, then i'll get it.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just scanned this thread, I want to pick up on what was said on the hellenic influence on theology. The major effect of this influence of this theology was on the concept of what God is, but the implications are found in Calvinism.

The Biblical God is portrayed as being omnipotent and omnipresent, but also as being involved in his creation and as carrying on genuine conversations with people that influenced his decisions (Moses, Abraham). He is portrayed as having emotions and of being a God whose anger is only for a moment but whose love is for a lifetime.

In contrast the God conceived of by the greeks and notably Plato is not realy a person at all. Their God was conceived by imagining infinity and perfection in all directions. God was conceived as being omnipotent and omnipresent. He also learned nothing, because he had to know everything, remembered nothing because he did not forget, thought nothing serially because that would mean he had not thought of something yet and therefore holds all of his knowledge in a conscious "now".

God is also portrayed as passionless, of living in continuous peace.

Early Christian theologians sought to prove that the God of the Bible was the true God, by using these concepts. They dismissed Bible stories where God changes his mind or emotions as anthropomorphisms. Instead they found scriptures that speak of God not changing his mind and built a theology of the ineffable God not found in scripture.

One of the implications is that if God is static, then so is his creation. However linear we find the universe, to God the past, present and future are held simultaneously. All decisions are known and are ordained.

This is my imperfect summary of the argument found in "The Openness of God" by Clark Pinnock and others.

There is to my mind, a clear discrepancy between the God of the Bible and the God of classical theology. I am very glad to be able to read my Bible taking some statements at face value that I used to dismiss. In particular when I am distressed about the state of the world, I think of God before the flood saying, "I am sorry that I have made man". I am glad to have a God who resonds in a way that I understand and yet has the resources to tackle the problem.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stowaway
I agree with your comment on the discrepancy between the Hebrew and the Hellenistic descriptions of God. While I much prefer the Jewish to the Hellenistic influences on Christianity, I think its fair to say that the OT Jewish concept of God is too anthrpomorphic.

If God is to be the creator of all, He must be above all emotions such as rage and revenge, and He must be omnipotent and onmiscient. I think the Jewish concept of God evolved between the Sinai revelation and the time of Jesus from a wrathful potentate to a loving father.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:
While I much prefer the Jewish to the Hellenistic influences on Christianity, I think its fair to say that the OT Jewish concept of God is too anthrpomorphic.

If God is to be the creator of all, He must be above all emotions such as rage and revenge, and He must be omnipotent and onmiscient. I think the Jewish concept of God evolved between the Sinai revelation and the time of Jesus from a wrathful potentate to a loving father.

And I agree in part. Is the jewish conception of God too anthropomorphic? It was Jesus who encouraged us to see God as a personal father.

For God to be the creator of all he does not have to be omniscient or omnipotent, he merely has to have sufficient wisdom and power to do the task. However, he does declare himself as all-powerful. The open view of God does not deny God's omniscience, but it does limit what that can mean. God knows everything that can be known at a particular time. He usually knows what will happen, but he is sometimes surprised. In the same way his power is limited by logical impossibilities. He cannot make a triangular square, for instance.

When you say that God must be above all emotions such as rage and revenge, are you allowing him to feel such emotions as delight and joy. Is God genuinely a party to the rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents? If so, you either have to accept that God has changing emotions about things, and is therefore not classically ineffable, or possibly believe that our relationship with God is real to us, but not for God.

--------------------

afish
Shipmate
# 1135

- Posted      Profile for afish   Email afish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well having got up to speed on this thread (phew) I’m glad to see that the Frenchman and his tulip are still reasonably upright and unbowed despite being battered by some rough winds.

Someone up the thread asked, Did God create evil? If He is sovereign then nothing is, or happens, without his permission and foreknowledge. In Isaiah 45:7 it is put even more strongly, “I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I The Lord do all these things.”
Now there are many who won’t accept this believing that it compromises a God whose very nature is love. Not at all! That God has permitted evil to exist and operate in his creation does not mean that He Himself is in anyway, also evil. If He has decided that it should be that way He has made it that way for good reason and for ultimate good. Is it difficult for us to understand? Sure, maybe even impossible, but these thoughts help me;

First, how could the love, mercy, grace, holiness, etc, etc of God be really known except by contrast?
Secondly, concerning free-will, love that is forced is not love and love that never has to choose whether to love or not is not love. Maybe then the exercise of free-will when confronted by evil is like a sieve separating love from not love? Remember God can not deny Himself or compromise his own nature therefore no-one can be united to Him who is not in agreement with Him however much He (God) does not want any to perish.

Stooberry (and Mousethief) I think your “system of understanding” IS wrong. Why exactly are the sovereignty of God and human free-will mutually exclusive?
Look:
1. If God wasn’t sovereign, omniscient, omnipotent, etc He wouldn’t be God would He?
2. If we could not exercise free-will and were not responsible for decisions we take we wouldn’t be human beings made in the image of God would we?

The fact that God knows what choice I will make before I do does not in any way take away from the freedom I have in making that choice. Neither does the fact that my destiny is predestined in any way take away my responsibility for what I do with my life.

Love, smiles and tulips to you all!
><>

--------------------
Bob Dylan

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stowaways approach makes sense in light of Scripture, Reason and Tradition, especially Spiritual Traditions where the relational nature of God is emphasised.

I think how God and Pharaoh interacted is a useful study. The three roots translated as Harden are Qalah, Kabed, and Chazaq.

Qalah refers to stubbornness, and is used to speak of the whole process.

quote:
EX 7:3 But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt,

Kabed refers to heaviness, immovable. The Plagues sent by God were Kabed, as was Pharaoh's heart.

Chazaq refers to strength, but can mean encourage or repair.

What is important (and one could go into a longer word study over what was used when) is that the hardening was not a "making evil", but a strengthening in a chosen course, to fulfil God purposes.

So what of Romans 9. Reading it with the question in mind "Does God determine all" it may seem a strong defence, especially if that is the way one has been taught to read it, but that is not the question Paul is addressing, the question is "Is God Unjust".

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

quote:
1. If God wasn’t sovereign, omniscient, omnipotent, etc He wouldn’t be God would He?

why not?

--------------------
This space left blank

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe God chooses to limit his omnipotence in such a way that man is free to act -- and to act freely. In deciding to create free agents, God voluntarily limits his power. Why is this so hard to accept?

I'm with Stoo; Christ being fully man and fully God isn't a contradiction. A paradox, perhaps, but not a contradiction. Saying God does everything and yet man has free will is like saying 1 is not equal to 1. And why believe the impossible if it's not necessary?

Lastly, the dichotomy between irresistable grace and works salvation is a false dichotomy. Grace can be resistable, and yet grace. Just because it's resistable doesn't mean that grace becomes works. Saying that only irresistible grace is grace is rather stacking the deck -- or arguing in a circle, if you prefer that figure of speech. I believe in salvation by (resistible) grace, not salvation by works. (Although I believe grace is appropriated and made manifest in the believer's life by the things the believer does -- but that's an argument for another thread, surely.)

Rdr Alexis

[left out a preposition that rather changed the meaning of what i was saying]

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that seems to have been missed out (tho the thread is now so long and complex I may have missed it) is God's foreknowledge; God foreknows who will truly desire to respond to Him and since they could not do this on their own, He adds in His irresistible grace and saves them. Without God's foreknowledge, nothing works...So it's not just God arbitrarily choosing some to be prdestined either way, it's God working with the free-will He has gifted to humanity. God works things out justly, so that salvation is accomplished. This foreknowledge also works the same way for the perseverance of the saints. God foreknows and strengthens on the basis of this foreknowledge.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding Gods Foreknowledge. I do not believe that God foreknows certain individuals will respond with faith and then predestines them. Compare:

quote:
RO 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

With

quote:
RO 11:2 God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don't you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah--how he appealed to God against Israel:

The action is corporate referring to an undefined group of people, rather than specific individuals.

The greek word, foreknowledge, carries the sense of prognosis rather than an exhasutive awareness of all future events. God's foreknowledge is based on his huge resources and wisdom in the present. The bible constantly speaks of God acting in time, not outside it. I see no reason to make God timeless: it only introduces philosophical tensions.

If God is not, as Scripture and Reason suggest, timeless that leaves us some options, either:

a:/ God is within time as it stands as part of the natural universe, and is therefore far more part of the universe than we often think.

b/: Time, an experience of a succession of moments, is part of Gods being that God has shared with us.

c:/ God created a Universe that was bound in time and therefore bound himself by the same limitation when working in that universe.

All three allow room for the growth of God, if only with Gods dealings with man. c:/ also helps us understand free will. If one is playing a game of chess and one changed the rules it would no longer be a game of Chess. God created a universe where time and freewill were important. It is not that this limits God, rather that this is the Game that God is playing. The other (determinist) option is that God created a universe where it looks like Time and Freewill are important but actually both are irrelevant as God has planned it all out already.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

- Posted      Profile for Weslian   Email Weslian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a convinced Arminian, I don't see question of God's sovereignty as being the issue between Calvinists and Arminians.

Wesley's problem with Calvinism was that he thought it could be seen to limit God's salvation to the few, whereas it was fundamental to Wesley that the offer was for all.

As I have read this thread, I have come to realise that one of my favourite Charles Wesley hymns is in fact a polemic in favour of Arminianism. I don't think it negates the good points of Calvinism, and includes a reference to the sovereignty of grace. But look how many times there are words like all, or general, or the world:

Father of everlasting love
Thy only Son for sinners gave
Whose grace to all did freely ove,
And sent him down the world to save.

Help us thy mercy to extol
Immense, unfathomed, unconfined,
To praise the Lamb who died for all,
The general Saviour of mankind.

Thy undistinguishing regard
Was cast on Adam's fallen race
For all thou hast in Christ preprared
Sufficient, sovereign, saving grace.

The world he suffered to redeem
For all he has the atonement made
For those that will not come to him
The ransom of his life was paid.

Arise, O God, maintain thy cause!
The fullness of the nations call;
Lift up the standard of thy cross,
And all shall own thou diedst for all.

I wonder if a key couplet is:
For those that will not come to him
The ransom of his life was paid.

Christ died not for the elect, but for the ungodly; he reached out for those who wouldn't come to him.

I suppose there is nothing to stop the elect being the ungodly, but in practice this belief fuelled the Wesley's mission to those beyond the usual orbit of the faith.

--------------------
Sex, Shopping, Work, Christian Doctrine, Entertainment, Art, Sport.

Posts: 563 | From: somewhere too posh for my own good | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:
While I much prefer the Jewish to the Hellenistic influences on Christianity, I think its fair to say that the OT Jewish concept of God is too anthrpomorphic.

I would agree with this if the word "too" were eliminated. I'd prefer to say that the OT -- and the NT as well -- offers anthropomorphic images of God, period. I'm not sure something can be "too" anthropomorphic: it either is or it isn't. But the Bible (both OT and NT) also contain anti-anthropomorphic statements (e.g. Hosea 11:9 -- "I am God and no mortal"; Isa 55:9 -- "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts"; the entire conclusion of the book of Job). So even within scripture there is a dialectic between anthropomorphism and anti-anthropomorphism. For early christians, some Greek notions about God helped them articulate an essentially biblical anthropomorphism. I can't really see the problem.

To get back to Calvinism: perhaps part of the difficultly with the notion of unconditional election is that we tend to have too anthropomorphic an idea of what it means for God to "choose." Certainly if you think that God does not exist within the contraints of time and space you need to radically revise what you think "choosing" means in the case of God.

FCB

--------------------

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
What, you mean like Christianity?

If push comes to shove... Certainly that Calvinist congregation first brought it home to me that I was the Wrong Gender. (Odd, really, to be so keen on election and predestination, and so discontented with the fact that God's Chosen tended to be women of mature years). And I don't think that is just Calvinists. If I can't make Pope, I'm not playing.

Another contra-indication has already been very well expressed by Nunc - that it posits a world without imagination or creativity (or rather the ambiguity, uncertainty and continual possibility which are their basis).

--------------------------------------------

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
To get back to Calvinism: perhaps part of the difficulty with the notion of unconditional election is that we tend to have too anthropomorphic an idea of what it means for God to "choose." Certainly if you think that God does not exist within the contraints of time and space you need to radically revise what you think "choosing" means in the case of God.

The great irony of "Calvinism" is that, in seeking to remove limitations on the sovreignty of God, it ends up removing all choice from God and making him and us a closed system drifting immovable in spacetime.

As I stated before, the implications of greek thought as applied to God, meant that God was ineffable (i.e. he could not change in any way) for the purely spurious "reason" that if God changed, he would no longer be perfect. This piece of nonsense is actually the main foundation of a lot of theology!

An example of this static view of God can be found in "The knowledge of the Holy" by AW Tozer where he speaks about what actually happens when the sinner repents. I haven't read this book for 20 years so I cannot be too accurate, but the analogy Tozer uses is of God as a mountain. On one side of the mountain is God's angry face, on the other side God is happy. When the sinner repents God does not move at all, but the sinner walks round the mountain to bask in God's pleasure...

which has nothing to do with him at all!

Once God was turned into stone it was only a matter of time before the same thing happened to his creation, and all relationships became illusions.

Yuck!

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair to the Greeks, Stowaway, have you considered that the problem may not be translation in Greek but rather into Latin, which had yet another semantic field for the words it use? McGrath (Iustitia Dei) suggests that the development of "Justification" theory via Augustine is affected quite deeply because of using a Latin Bible that used a word that imperfectly translated the Greek Septuagint's slightly better translation of the Hebrew. Could the same not be true of predestination, given that it's more a western concern than an eastern one?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway:
When the sinner repents God does not move at all, but the sinner walks round the mountain to bask in God's pleasure...

which has nothing to do with him at all!

Once God was turned into stone it was only a matter of time before the same thing happened to his creation, and all relationships became illusions.

Yuck!

Interesting. You would no doubt be horrified to know that I take it as axiomatic that salvation only involves a change on our part, not a change on God's part (since I don't think that God can change, no more than I think that God can sin or have a toothache).

But I don't think God is "static." If you imagine a point that moves through space at an infinite velocity (I know, Einstein says that infinite velocity is impossible, but this is just a thought experiment; besides, since God is not physical there is no particular reason why we should conceive of God's being as having to obey the laws of physics), then it is simultanously everywhere along the path of its movement, so the point's position never undergoes any change, not because it is static, but because it is infinitely fast.

This is more or less what Aquinas means when he speaks of God as "pure act."

I accept that we must inevitable speak of God in anthropomorphic terms that involve such things as change and location and emotion. But I also think that we have to recognize the limitations of those anthropomorphisms.

FCB

--------------------

Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
To be fair to the Greeks, Stowaway, have you considered that the problem may not be translation in Greek but rather into Latin, which had yet another semantic field for the words it use? McGrath (Iustitia Dei) suggests that the development of "Justification" theory via Augustine is affected quite deeply because of using a Latin Bible that used a word that imperfectly translated the Greek Septuagint's slightly better translation of the Hebrew. Could the same not be true of predestination, given that it's more a western concern than an eastern one?

I don't have anywhere near enough scholarship to be able to track how this happened. The greek thought on God was developed completely outside the judeo-christian tradition and then grafted together.

Part of the process seems to have happened amongst the jews and the major part with christian scholars who engaged with the culture around them in communicating the gospel, as we all do, and picked up these concepts along the way.

I don't really think that this particular concept of God is found in the Bible, though, like everything, it can be read into it through proof texts even when the overall emphasis of the Bible is different.

However, a translation is always an interpretation, and it may be that the latin translator put this view into the Vulgate, which would certainly cement the problem.

Someone much cleverer than I would have to analyse why this theology became strong where it did. I would suspect that the reformation came at the point where rationalism was being exalted and therefore a theological "Theory of Everything" appealed.

Of course, there were good political reaons to have a theology that eliminated the legitamacy of the authority claimed by the RC church, but the theology continued after the political goals were completed, so it appealed at the time.

It's good to think of this as just a western concern, when for some traditions, this is the whole point.

--------------------

Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

quote:
But I don't think God is "static." If you imagine a point that moves through space at an infinite velocity (I know, Einstein says that infinite velocity is impossible, but this is just a thought experiment; besides, since God is not physical there is no particular reason why we should conceive of God's being as having to obey the laws of physics), then it is simultanously everywhere along the path of its movement, so the point's position never undergoes any change, not because it is static, but because it is infinitely fast

So you are saying that from our point of view God is static, but from his point of view he is dynamic. This is the wrong way round isn't it?

--------------------

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One problem that theologians tackle is the clash between God's sovereignty and man's free will.

To some extent it helps me the think that God is much greater than we can imagine. So He can be totally sovereign and at the same time create autonimus free thinking creatures. That is beyond our finite selves, but possible to an infinate triune God.

I am surprised earlier in this thread to be defending Calvinism I am usually arguing the other way. Spending time in Baptist churches which in the UK at least are are merger between the arminium General Baptist (where I am) amd the Calvinistic Particular Baptists we have learnt to get on, and I can ususlly see where the other side are coming from.

The one point I do accept is Perseverence of the Saints and I had firgured that one out for myself reading the Bible before I had ever heard of the 5 points of Calvinism and thought that pre-destination was a bad joke.

I have heard that the god of Islam is also considered sovereign and thus pre-destines those who are going to paradise. However I don't how wide spread this belief is, but it shows that this sovereignty versus Free Will is not just a Christian problem.

When I spent a few months with the FIEC I enjoyed them socially but disliked their Calvinism. Now I seem to be deviding my time between the Baptists and the Anglicans I wonder how non-Calvinist Anglicans take the "irrestsable grace" in their 39 articles or are the 39 articles ignored these days?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some individuals and some groups of people like the Jews of Abraham's time are elected by God to help in His great work of bringing the Kingdom to earth, but that isn't the same as predestination. People who are chosen in this sense are those whose inner sensitivity to matters of the Spirit make them better vehicles for that sort of work. But make no mistake, those people are chosen to share Christ's suffering for the redemption of the world.

The Jews were God's chosen people for that purpose, to be a nation of priests to mediate their knowledge of God to the rest of humanity, but in many ways they failed in that task. When Jesus came into the world, He fullfilled the task the Jews were elected for and since then they have been an inward looking exclusive people, not totally surprising after 2000 years of persecution. For each sentient creature who turns to God, the universe is uplifted that bit more, the ultimate aim being the resurrection of all corruptible matter to spirituality as presaged in the resurrection of Our Lord.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:

If God is not, as Scripture and Reason suggest, timeless that leaves us some options, either:

a:/ God is within time as it stands as part of the natural universe, and is therefore far more part of the universe than we often think.

b/: Time, an experience of a succession of moments, is part of Gods being that God has shared with us.

c:/ God created a Universe that was bound in time and therefore bound himself by the same limitation when working in that universe.

All three allow room for the growth of God, if only with Gods dealings with man. c:/ also helps us understand free will. If one is playing a game of chess and one changed the rules it would no longer be a game of Chess. God created a universe where time and freewill were important. It is not that this limits God, rather that this is the Game that God is playing. The other (determinist) option is that God created a universe where it looks like Time and Freewill are important but actually both are irrelevant as God has planned it all out already.

A bit off topic perhaps,but I'm not sure about this at all.Does this suggest that God is to be identified with the Universe?If God is within time then in what sense is he creator?Surely a Creator-God has to be beyond time and space,yet of his own volition concerned with the Universe,his Creation.
If one identifies the Universe with God (pantheism) one has a host of imponderables such as existence not only of suffering but also of quite violent events which are the run-of-the-mill in the Universe.
I would not like to cut God off completely from the Universe though (deism),although I am probably more drawn to deism than pantheism.I think both are wrong and deism can lead to atheism
I think - but am not sure (!)- that (c) is the most likely.....but perhaps this belongs on another thread!However I think that God is only bound when working in this universe.He doesn't have to be but this is proba\bly the way that He chooses.......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
afish
Shipmate
# 1135

Stooberry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why not?

He Himself claims to be all these things so if He isn’t that makes Him a liar which would further disqualify Him from the job.
God without sovereignty equals headless chicken.
Also if God did not have all these atributes then people really would have reason to go stomping on tulips.
What do you think God needs to be to be God? Any minimum requirements?

Mousethief
You say,
“I believe God chooses to limit his omnipotence in such a way that man is free to act -- and to act freely. In deciding to create free agents, God voluntarily limits his power. Why is this so hard to accept?”

Because it’s not true. Giving us humans free will doesn’t make God any less omnipotent than He was before our creation. God in His sovereign free will decides whether when and how He exercises his power. But the power is always there constant and unchanging.

You also say,
“God does everything and yet man has free will is like saying 1 is not equal to 1. And why believe the impossible if it's not necessary?”

Sorry mate you’ve lost me there. Who says God does everything? What everything? Why is it like saying 1is not equal to 1? But I do agree one shouldn’t believe the impossible, even if it is necessary.”

Stowaway
You say,
“The great irony of "Calvinism" is that, in seeking to remove limitations on the sovreignty of God, it ends up removing all choice from God and making him and us a closed system drifting immovable in spacetime.”

Er how does it do that?

><>

--------------------
Bob Dylan

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

quote:
Stooberry
---------------------------------------------
why not?

He Himself claims to be all these things so if He isn’t that makes Him a liar which would further disqualify Him from the job.
God without sovereignty equals headless chicken.
Also if God did not have all these atributes then people really would have reason to go stomping on tulips.
What do you think God needs to be to be God? Any minimum requirements?

i don't know that he does claim omnipotence, omnipresence or omniscience though. (but that's a different thread)

my minimum requirements for God? a being with more capabilities than humans, more powerful, more knowing and more wise. involved somehow (at some point) with this world and its workings. possessing the ability to do what we call miracles.

that's not what i would like to reduce God to, but that'd be what a being needs to qualify for the position, i think.

--------------------
This space left blank

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
afish said:
Mousethief your assertion that election and grace petals of the tulip of necessity imply that God’s decisions on who is saved are arbitrary and that the choice an individual may make is not in fact a choice at all, is well below your usual standard of debate.

Thank you for the back-handed compliment!

quote:
Why arbitrary? God is always sovereign never arbitrary.

Exactly my point. Hence the falseness of "U" (Unconditional Election).

quote:
He may well pressure us even hound us but in the end the individual exercises choice without in anyway nullifying the inevitability of that choice.

If a choice is inevitable, it isn't a choice. That's what "choice" means. Freedom from inevitability. If you tell your kid, "Do you want mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes?" (because no matter what they say, you're going to give them mashed potatoes), you haven't given them a choice. Complaining that you have, in fact, given them a choice (after you scoop the mashed potatoes onto their plate) doesn't cut it with the kids, and it doesn't cut it with adults to say that "you have a choice" but "what you chose was inevitable." It's the same sleight-of-hand both times; and in neither time does it change the fact that there was, in fact, no real CHOICE. If the outcome of my "choice" is inevitable, then I do not have free will.

quote:
Weslian said:
Wesley's problem with Calvinism was that he thought it could be seen to limit God's salvation to the few, whereas it was fundamental to Wesley that the offer was for all.

Hear, hear! This is also the view of Orthodoxy: God's gracious offer of salvation is open to all. To claim otherwise requires the entire New Testament to be stood on its head. You have to go through with a red pencil and make emendations to passages, so that "the world" means "the elect" and "all mankind" means "the elect" -- and you have to do this over and over.

quote:
afish again:
Giving us humans free will doesn’t make God any less omnipotent than He was before our creation. God in His sovereign free will decides whether when and how He exercises his power. But the power is always there constant and unchanging.

I'll bet we're meaning different things by "omnipotent." But anyway, I wasn't the one who claimed giving humans free will made God less than omnipotent; it was SteveTom. I just agreed for the sake of argument.

SteveTom claimed that if the offer of salvation is indeed open to all, then God must be unable to save all.

My counterclaim is that although God COULD save all (if he overrode our free will), he chooses NOT to override our free will. Thus any who reject Him are allowed to, and are thereby not saved. For some reason this to SteveTom makes God seem feeble. I don't see it, so maybe you should ask him how exactly he reaches that conclusion.

Anyway, it really boils down to either (a) God could save all but chooses not to; based on some (unknown to us) criterion of His own, and those He chooses to save He saves willy-nilly, and those He chooses to damn He damns willy-nilly; OR (b) God could save all but chooses not to force the unwilling to be saved; God does not damn anyone, but if they choose to be damned He does not stop them. (A) is the Calvinist position; (B) the Orthodox.

My claim, as always, is that the "god" of (a) is not the God of Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, and Jesus Christ. For a "god" that would damn people for no fault of their own, and against their will, is -- hold onto your hats -- an ogre.

quote:
God does everything and yet man has free will is like saying 1 is not equal to 1. And why believe the impossible if it's not necessary?

Sorry mate you’ve lost me there. Who says God does everything? What everything? Why is it like saying 1 is not equal to 1? But I do agree one shouldn’t believe the impossible, even if it is necessary.

Okay, I think I may have overstated my claim. I apologize.

Let's get back to the real issue on the omnipotence thing, which is irresistable grace. I was assuming that irresistable grace meant that God's grace cannot be resisted by us. But it is believed by the Orthodox that God's grace can, in fact, be resisted, because man has truly free will. Further I want to claim that "free will" (for men) and "irresistable grace" are incompatible. If we truly have free will, then that must mean that our will is free and not forced. But if anything is "irresistable" then we have no choice, and hence (in that area, anyway) no freedom. You need to either re-define "irresistable" or "free" in such a way that they no longer mean what they have always meant, in order to overcome this contradiction. Because claiming both -- that God's grace is irresistable and man's will is free -- is like claiming 1<>1. It's not just a paradox. It's impossible. It's meaningless. It's gibberish. And as (I think) St. Clive points out, nonsense is still nonsense, even if predicated of God.

Lastly: what are my requirements for God? The only self-existing (uncreated) being; capable of doing anything (anything not self-contradictory, I mean) he chooses, if he chooses; personal (i.e. not just a "force"); one in essence and three in person (as per the Nicene Creed); the creator of all things which exist but are not Himself. (That'll do for a start; I'm sure I left something out.)

Note: If I've failed to respond to anybody who expected a response, I'm sorry; PM me and point out the post you want me to respond to (to avoid cluttering the thread), and I'll do so (in the thread).

Reader Alexis

[ 15 January 2002: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway:
So you are saying that from our point of view God is static, but from his point of view he is dynamic. This is the wrong way round isn't it?

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that our language speaks about God as either static or changing, when in fact God transcends this distinction. In a similar way, we must speak about God either as a particular being ("God") or an abstract concept ("divinity"), even though what God is is not distinct from the fact that God is.

FCB

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by Stooberry:
my minimum requirements for God? a being with more capabilities than humans, more powerful, more knowing and more wise. involved somehow (at some point) with this world and its workings. possessing the ability to do what we call miracles.

that's not what i would like to reduce God to, but that'd be what a being needs to qualify for the position, i think.

Then Santa Claus qualifies, or a slightly more advanced space alien.

FCB

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

FCB and others I have been reading your positions with interest.

I agree that all biblical language and all theological language is anthropomorphic, as is the philosophical language of Plato and Aristotle. Ultimately many (Calvinists and Arminains) accept a philosophical definition, that God is an "Unmoved Mover" and reject the language of the bible. That "Unmoved Mover" was the highest theological ideal amongst many in the first centuries of the church, and If the Christian God was God then that is how he had to be.

The Bible, which has to my mind is has quite a developed and valid theism of its own, is seemingly ignored in this area by many who espouse the strongest forms of biblical inerrancy and literalism. The Anthropomorphisms are ignored for the sake of some other big idea, isolated texts are used to discard reams of others. If the Bible says God is a changing relational being working within time 10 times, but then suggests a different picture once the only reason to take that once over the others is because of that some other big idea. I agree that Paul can be read in light of that Big Idea. Maybe he was a determinist, but somehow, if he was truly writing under inspiration, I would hope that he was writing in the light of open Hebraic theism. Although the church fathers certainly were greatly effected by Greek philosophical thought Human Free Will was early orthodoxy.

I for one feel that it is time that this other big idea was retired. Suggesting that the Christian God was compatible with Plato and Aristotle may have aided the spread of the Gospel, it may have helped maintain doctrinal stability after the Roman Empire collapsed, it may have even resonated with modernism, both liberal and conservative, but it does not resonate with scripture or with post-modern culture.

Plato, as the Orthodox have demonstrated, We do not need you. You are the weakest Link. Goodbye.

So what of the perfections of God? My God is Omni-changing, Omni-Growing, Omni-Learning, Omni-Creative, he is far greater than the "Unmoved Mover", he is, in the words of Pinnock, the "Most Moved Mover".

Can Calvinism be rehabilitated. No.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

edward... may i join your fan club?

--------------------
This space left blank

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

I thought I had already joined yours.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Gosh, hate to break up this love fest, but I would like to point out that if God is inside time, then God is inside space, since, as Einstein showed (though Aristotle and Aquinas claimed it long before),the two are inseparable.

If God is spatiotemporal, then where is he located? I think we are back with Santa Claus: in other words, whatever the intentions of Clark Pinnock, et al., the god they propose is what I call an idol.

And I must disagree that philosophical language is "anthropomorphic." True, it is human language, but it does not speak of God as if God were a human being (which is, strictly speaking, the meaning of anthropomorphic).

I'm someone who hates being told that I should go read something, but the essay that really changed my mind on these questions was "The Involvement of God" by the late Herbert McCabe, in his book God Matters. I spent several years trying to figure out why McCabe (and Augustine and Aquinas and Anselm and Basil and Gregory of Nyssa and Athansius and Julian of Norwich and Catherine of Siena and -- dare I say it -- Paul) was wrong, but I finally gave in. So here I stand, I can do no other.

FCB

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've summed up my very worries,FCB.And expressed much better than I could....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Gosh, hate to break up this love fest, but I would like to point out that if God is inside time, then God is inside space, since, as Einstein showed (though Aristotle and Aquinas claimed it long before),the two are inseparable.

I am sorry I just can't accept that argument. You are mistaking time as a physical property of the universe with time as a experience of a succession of moments. The two are very different. I am neither a Quantum or Macro physicist but the models and theories used to describe what happens to the physical universe are not an acceptable source for the creation of theology.

quote:
If God is spatiotemporal, then where is he located? I think we are back with Santa Claus: in other words, whatever the intentions of Clark Pinnock, et al., the god they propose is what I call an idol.

So I worship an Idol and you worship a Metaphysical Iceberg. Where is this getting us?

quote:
And I must disagree that philosophical language is "anthropomorphic." True, it is human language, but it does not speak of God as if God were a human being (which is, strictly speaking, the meaning of anthropomorphic).

But the idea of "unchanging = perfection" is, ultimately, a projection of our own fear of change, onto God.

quote:
I spent several years trying to figure out why McCabe (and Augustine and Aquinas and Anselm and Basil and Gregory of Nyssa and Athansius and Julian of Norwich and Catherine of Siena and -- dare I say it -- Paul) was wrong, but I finally gave in. So here I stand, I can do no other.

I am happy that you have found a theological model which you find helpful. I do not think the "you'll grow out of it" approach is ever a good method of debate.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your view was one you'd grow out of (after all, Pinnock seems to have grown into it). What I meant to imply was that your view is wrong, and I was suggesting a source that contained what I had found to be a very convincing demonstration of how and why it was wrong. Like I said, I hate being told I should read something, so feel free to ignore the suggestion, but in case you are in a reading mood. . .

FCB

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Sorry to double post, but I also wanted to add that, as I've said before, I don't think God is "static" or "an iceberg" (though as anyone who knows icebergs will tell you, they are hardly static). In fact, I think that God is infinitely active. But I also think that if God is infinitely active, then God is in no way passive, and thus in no way changed or changing. To put it differently, God does, God is not done to.

FCB

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Okay FCB, I am happy to read!

This is all rather exciting, we started with Calvinism and we end up with a Thomist and and a Process Theist arguing over an Evangelical Theologians work.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Yeah. I was wondering where Calvin went to in all of this.

FCB

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Calvin got a little beat up, and has gone off to lick his wounds.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because it’s not true. Giving us humans free will doesn’t make God any less omnipotent than He was before our creation. God in His sovereign free will decides whether when and how He exercises his power. But the power is always there constant and unchanging.

Oh my goodness - this thread. hope i haven't missed this particular point in someone else's post. i raised this on another thread a couple of months ago on, i think, free will. can't still find the thread, but this is the gist of it; and the answer i received was almost the same as the above quote i've snagged from afish.

if God is not always in control (or all powerful and always able to exercise His control and power) and if we have "free-will", then how can we depend on all the promises of God that He has revealed in His Word? Could not man, with evil intent, unravel the divine purposes of God?

How can we be so sure, for example, that "all thingswill work together for good to those that love God, to them who are the called, according to His purpose" (Rom 8:28) Might not, if God isn;t in control......i give this verse as just one example, so i won't be just generalizing here...

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by bessie rosebride:
if God is not always in control (or all powerful and always able to exercise His control and power) and if we have "free-will", then how can we depend on all the promises of God that He has revealed in His Word? Could not man, with evil intent, unravel the divine purposes of God?

It is possible that God can fail. Exciting isn't it! I have Faith that God is resourceful enough to overcome the opposistion, which is why I am a Christian.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

sacredthree..

well, that's true, also - because God's ways are higher than ours, and He is also omniscient and quite wise. that is
exciting...i had leaned toward the Calvinistic side, just for this one reason - i needed the safety of God's steadfast control of all things, because, frankly, my world is quite chaotic! i am, after reading this thread, mulling over my position. God can be still be trusted to prevail, even if we have freedom to thwart Him.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:
It is possible that God can fail. Exciting isn't it! I have Faith that God is resourceful enough to overcome the opposistion, which is why I am a Christian.

It is not possible that God can fail. We simply come to a new understanding of what He wanted all along. Which is why I am a Christian.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

But if God can fail He would no longer be God,would he?I agree He can allow His creatures to fail - I'm not a Calvinist-but I don't think God Himself can fail.And it strikes me that the traditional epithets,of timelessness,unchanging are not inappropriate.If one regards God as being - in some way - the Creator of the Universe,then surely He must transcend the Universe,although I would agree He is involved in it.To what extent I don't pretend to know but certainly to the extent of the Son (pre-existent with the Father) being incarnate......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
but wasn't the idea of God failing (ie,dying) part of the theology which emerged as a reaction to the World Wars and continued in the idea now that whenever a child dies or a tower block crumbles, God is there dying and suffering too. I find this much better than the idea of an all-powerful God who sits watching us with detachment and making arbitrary decisions over what to do with us.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Chorister....
Ye-e-e-e-s.I suppose so.Certainly I can make sense of a God who understands our limitations and suffers alongside us.Indeed the Crucifixion seems to point to this.But the Crucifixion is not complete without the Resurrection;God may have been Victim but He was also Victor,which (I think) is why we worship Him.God has got to be IMHO (the H stands for "honest"!!!) both transcendent and immanent.
I've a great deal of respect for S3 - though we seem to be on opposite sides - so I don't mean this unkindly,but given the choice I would prefer to worship a Metaphysical Iceberg rather than an Idol (nice choice of words there!)
Of course you only see a 1/3 of an Iceberg.....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

and hasn't God "failed" on various occasions in the biblical stories from the beginning? isn't it seemingly a failure that God's created beings- Adam and Eve became deceived by the devil and ate forbidden fruit...didn't that (at least temporarily) alter God's purpose? But, He overcame it, through Jesus.

that seems to me to be a lot of what spiritual warfare involves - we (and God) seem to be continually fighting off the arch-enemy, who is "out to cause God to fail"; again, at least for the time being...til God can resourcefully overcome it..

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016