homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Calvinism: Can It Be Rehabilitated? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Calvinism: Can It Be Rehabilitated?
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Is my heart more spacious than God's? Does He not desire their salvation even more than I do? If not, he is an ogre and I would almost rather be damned than bend the knee to such an evil tyrant.

Or He is God, and gave us all a "free will" to accept eternal live or death. Those who choose death will not be with us in Heaven.

That is why we are instructed to "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all the creation" (Mark 16:15). If everyone is going to Heaven anyway, why do we need to preach to them?

God could have saved everyone, but instead He decided to use us to bring the Word to the world. We should be diligent so that we do not fail Him.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
God could have saved everyone, but instead He decided to use us to bring the Word to the world. We should be diligent so that we do not fail Him.

I have problems with this, Sharkshooter. This would imply God didn't do all He could to save the world -- that He picked a plan that had less than maximum efficacy. Which is cruel and hard-hearted.

Rdr Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In your opinion.

My opinion is that, being God, He can pick any plan He wants, and like it or not, we have (had) no say in it. All we can do is follow the plan to its end.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharkshooter
We obviously don't worship the same God.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
afish
Shipmate
# 1135

- Posted      Profile for afish   Email afish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was going to stand back from this. I was honestly. But cannot rest unless I deal with the following:
frater-frag
You say,
“Now, since calvinism states that all humans are allready predestined to either Heaven or Hell, my conclusion is that the Incarnation was un-nescessary, ie, that Christ and his actions didn´t have any impact on the future for human souls.”
Why is that your conclusion?
People like me who believe that all things are predestined also believe that without Christ’s sacrificial death there would be no remission from sin. That is, ALL would be separated from God for eternity. Where is the conflict in those beliefs?

Stowaway
You say,
“God ordained all things and each individual is responsible for his own actions. A theology that claims to be a logical construct should not contain mutually exclusive statements.
quote:”
The problem is that you haven’t shown that the two statements are mutually exclusive. If God has ordained that that each individual is responsible for his own actions, it seems obvious to me that one statement is included in the other.

You said,
“God is/is not the only decision maker in the universe is not a conclusion that should stand in a systematic theology ..."
I asked,
“Again does Calvin actually claim that ONLY God makes decisions?”
You replied,
“Is this not the Calvinist definition of Sovreignty?”
I should be extremely surprised if it was. We all making decisions all the time. Are you telling me that there are a certain group of theologians who deny this? God is of course the final decision maker.

You say,
“In the light of current world views Calvinism seems to me to be hopelessly out of date and culture-bound.”
This I think says what and where the problem really is. You need to use a different sort of light.

Mousethief
In reply to my asking why you used the word “forced” when I talked about “inevitability”, you said,
“Because you say they cannot evade it. If that's not forced, I'm a rabbit.”
Reluctantly, on your own premiss, I have to agree with you. You’re a rabbit (in love beloved brother.
“Inevitable” and “forced” are two different words with two different meanings. If you freely decide something and God already knew what you would decide, where does force come into it??? To say that our choices are inevitable does NOT negate the fact that they are real choices which we personally make. God does not make them for us but He does know what they will be. Given any unique individual with their unique situations and circumstances the choices made(by them)in the end always be the ones they were going to make. In that sense they are inevitable.
Now there are those who would misrepresent this as fatalism. Not at all!
Fatalism says “What will be will be so why bother.”
Christian faith says “What will be will be but except for the bits that God has told me about I don’t know what will be so I need to live life to the best of my ability to the glory of God who gives me lots of freedom to decide how I should do that.

Ok enough for now.
><>

--------------------
"Some things are too hot to touch
The human mind can only stand so much"
Bob Dylan

Posts: 168 | From: France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see where we disagree, Afish, you're just using "inevitable" differently than I am. If I take your definition, then yes, the inevitability does not preclude the freedom.

But then you need to come up with another word for "could not have done otherwise" besides inevitable.

I don't think God's foreknowledge (because it's not foreknowledge at all, God being outside of Time) makes our choices "inevitable," which according to Merriam-Webster's online (www.m-w.com) means "incapable of being avoided or evaded." God knows what we do, because He sees us do it. His knowledge does not cause what happens; just the opposite; what happens causes his knowledge. Our choices are quite free, and not in the least "inevitable" according to the definition. If I had wanted, I could have worn the striped shirt. God knows (eternally) that I would wear the plaid shirt today, because I chose to, and God observes both my choice and its result.

I know this is bordering on that heresy that says God can be acted upon (I forget the name). I'm afraid I can't make sense of the universe without it, however, so if you need to stone me, please use large stones and aim for the head, thus to get it all over more quickly.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If everyone is going to Heaven anyway, why do we need to preach to them?

The good news is more than just a route to heaven. It's a source of joy and strength on earth.

I don't believe God will send some people to hell because others failed to bring the Word to them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by afish:
Was going to stand back from this. I was honestly. But cannot rest unless I deal with the following:
frater-frag
You say,
“Now, since calvinism states that all humans are allready predestined to either Heaven or Hell, my conclusion is that the Incarnation was un-nescessary, ie, that Christ and his actions didn´t have any impact on the future for human souls.”
Why is that your conclusion?
People like me who believe that all things are predestined also believe that without Christ’s sacrificial death there would be no remission from sin. That is, ALL would be separated from God for eternity. Where is the conflict in those beliefs?

Hmm... Okey how about this?
Without free will, no-one can be hold responsible for their actions/lifes, in fact, without free-will, humans are nothing but pre-programmed automatons, acting according to their sub-routins!

Note: I don´t say that humans can overcome Sin by free-will alone. The Free-will of every being must accept Christ as God and Saviour etc, if they are to be saved. To use a bad methaphor; Its like allowing the Surgeon to go ahead with his stuff, in order to make us whole and healty again.

To sum it up, since Christ died for our sins, we must have fallen as a race first.
In order to do that, free-will is nescessary!
Without free-will, we wouldn´t have fallen at all. But, since we did fall, we must possess a free will! However, due to the fall of creation etc, that free will is no longer perfect, but heavily reduced and mostly corrupted. But, it is still there, and that gives God somewhere to begin...

From God´s point of wiev, everything must look predestined, ie, he has the complete files in his hand allready. That, is due to his existance outside the time/space continiium(hope I spelled it right , but whe are stuck inside, and therefore, from our point of wiev, most things are not decided yet!

Note, I prefer to put all theories to the extreme, I think thats the only way to find out where the sink-holes are!

[UBB fixed]

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem is that you haven’t shown that the two statements are mutually exclusive. If God has ordained that that each individual is responsible for his own actions, it seems obvious to me that one statement is included in the other.

A = Not A is a logical impossibility QED

quote:
In the light of current world views Calvinism seems to me to be hopelessly out of date and culture-bound.”
This I think says what and where the problem really is. You need to use a different sort of light.

And what light would you suggest I use?

I guess you would say "the light of scripture", but Calvinism is not the Bible.

It has no more inherent validity than other theologies, but it had a power because it was appropriate for its time. Calvinism was accepted into the modern era because it remained acceptable to modernist thought. In the post modern era, its cultural limitations are clear. We can go earlier for inspiration for a new theology, but in the end we have no chance of a "view from nowhere". Our theology will also be culture bound.

But we have to keep moving or be irrelevant .. as Calvinism is today.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
afish
Shipmate
# 1135

- Posted      Profile for afish   Email afish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief
No mate I’m not into stoning just deep sighing and slow shaking of the head. Hopefully we are both a bit clearer about what the other really believes than when we started? I’ve done my best to show that belief in predestination, freewill, and the other parts of the tulip that we have discussed poses no problems of logicality or inconsistency and in no way require God to be an ogre. These beliefs are mind stretching, mind boggling. But far from being blasphemous they in fact show us how glorious and gracious God is.

frater-frag
I’m almost sure that I agree with every thing you said in your last post. I think one needs to be careful though when one speaks of God being outside the space time continuum not to give the idea that He is outside looking in. God is and there is nowhere where He isn’t. Though as a Master of Divinity no doubt you‘ll know more about the finer details of omnipresence than I do.

sharkshooter
You said, “God could have saved everyone … ” How?
Just think about it. A great deal has been said on this point in this thread.
God cannot lie - He has give us freewill - He says choose between life and death - many choose death - if then God says no to that choice - He has lied about giving us freewill.
Why should we preach the gospel? Because God has asked us to, because we share his compassion for the lost and because when it has been preached to all nations this present age will come to an end and there will be a new beginning.

><>
ah no Stoway won't do.
"God has ordained that we have freewill.", is a perfectly logical statement. To say that it is the same as saying, "A is not A.", is just sophistry.

[UBB fixed]

[ 24 January 2002: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Bob Dylan

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Hopefully we are both a bit clearer about what the other really believes than when we started?

I'm sure I'm not any clearer. I knew you believed in predestination, and that it wasn't inconsistent with free will, and I still know that. As to how you manage to wrap your mind around such a contradiction, I am still befogged.

quote:
I’ve done my best to show that belief in predestination, freewill, and the other parts of the tulip that we have discussed poses no problems of logicality or inconsistency and in no way require God to be an ogre.

And I remain unconvinced. Ah well, another day in Purgatory.

quote:
These beliefs are mind stretching, mind boggling.

...Wrong...

quote:
But far from being blasphemous they in fact show us how glorious and gracious God is.

Gracious enough to damn people he could have saved? That doesn't rate as "gracious" in my Funk and Wagnall's.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"God has ordained that we have freewill.", is a perfectly logical statement.

indeed it is.

however, to say that "God has ordained that we have free will. God is in complete control of everything." is not a perfectly logical statement.

this is, if i understand it correctly, a central tennant of calvinism.

i am reminded of henry ford's quote: "you can have any colour, as long as it's black".

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
[QB
sharkshooter
You said, “God could have saved everyone … ” How?
Just think about it. A great deal has been said on this point in this thread.
God cannot lie - He has give us freewill - He says choose between life and death - many choose death - if then God says no to that choice - He has lied about giving us freewill.
Why should we preach the gospel? Because God has asked us to, because we share his compassion for the lost and because when it has been preached to all nations this present age will come to an end and there will be a new beginning.

[/QB]

How could God have saved everyone? Any way He wanted to - He is omnipotent after all. For example, He could have said " They are so bad, I will take away their free will."

or

"They make so many bad choices, I will override their free will on this one issue", (even Mousethief, on another thread, said God can and does override free will)

Stooberry said:

quote:
however, to say that "God has ordained that we have free will. God is in complete control of everything." is not a perfectly logical statement

Then, if God is omnipotent, He did not give us free will. I'm sorry, I'll take the omnipotent God over free will any day (that is, if I have to choose one or the other - which I was beginning to believe I don't have to do). I will not worship a God who is not omnipotent.

--------------------

Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

- Posted      Profile for Atticus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I appreciate Karl's sentiment, but here's some more specific complaints of somebody who feels very similarly.

1)TOTAL DEPRAVITY: Calvinism is unclear on this point. Of course no one can be saved without the grace of God, however, does that mean that there is no effort, at least towards faith on the part of the redeemed? I don't think that is consistent with the Bible at all. Even the worriesome bit in Romans 8 & 9. In Italy we have a saying, "A spoonful of sewage in a barrel of wine makes the whole barrel sewage." I think that accurately describes humanity, from a biblical standpoint as well as a humanistic one. We might be sewage(totally depraved), but even the "non-believer" can taste like a damn fine Pinot Gris sometimes. Call me a humanist, but I believe EVERYONE has the power of choice. When God speaks to Cain (before he murdered his brother), He says, "Sin is crouching at your door, but you may overcome it." I see Christ as the path to overcoming sin, but man as the one who may do the overcoming, through His sacrifice.
2)UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION: OK, breach in reasoning. If God chooses some and not others, either it is because of some merit-even if the merit is distinguishable only to Him-of the chosen that the not chosen lacks, OR it is because God is an arbitrary bastard and in general a tyrant Who has no idea why He decided why He wanted Francis of Assisi and not Ghandi. If you choose the first option (I highly recommend it over the second), it leads you straight away from Calvinism, and towards the merits of the chosen. I conclude from this that God does choose who He wants to save, see John 3:16 "that ALL might live."
3)LIMITED ATONEMENT: See John 3:16 again, as well as the rest of the Gospel content. This is bunk, no matter which way you cut it. I think it is a near-heretical cheapening of the sacrifice God made on the cross.
4)IRRESISTIBLE GRACE: Interesting. But I already denied myself the possibility of entertaining this idea since I accepted that Christ died for the whole world. Obviously the whole world is not saved.
5)PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS: This is really an interesting argument. I believe the Bible does speak in favor of this, but not quite enough to support the full argument. Christ does intercede for us, and we are told (in other terms) that everyone up there is rooting for us. But I don't think that means that it is secure. While princes and principalities and life and death may not seperate us from the love of God, I do believe that choice can. I have known several friends who not only throughly convinced me of their own faith, but helped me along in their own who have now totally renounced God.

IN CONCLUSION: I believe that Romans does very clearly outline the principles of Calvinism, however I also believe that the rest of the Bible speaks out against them, as well as our own natural sense of justice. While logic does appear to fail with these contrasting ideas, I have to conclude that logic is not the answer to this puzzle. God is in complete control of whom He saves and whom He does not. Nevertheless, we are obviously responsible for whether or not we choose God, so how much power does our choice have?
Christ loved the young rich ruler and, presumably, wanted him to be saved, but in the end the choice fell upon the young man. Christ was saddened, but did He credit the young ruler's lack of faith to God or to his own love of wealth?
"God helps the rower, but the rower must still row."
Recently too much emphasis has been put on what we must do, rather than God's grace. So I must finally conclude that a little revival of Calvinism(flawed though it is), might bring the attention back to God and away from the rower. I resent this recent egotistical trend(both secular and religious) of focusing on me, I, us, people, instead of God, the only I(AM) that really matters. So if a little poor logic is all it takes to shift our sights back on God, so be it. But you can count me out, I'll find another way to stay focused.

--------------------
This time it's for real, I'm really gone until August. For real. Gone. Bye.

"My life would be a lot simpler if I were gay."

Posts: 321 | From: off the deep end | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Why does "arbitrary" have to mean "bastard" or "ogre"?

Sorry, while I understand much of the complaints against calvinism, I cannot understand why this characterization is necessary.

If I enter a football fantasy league, and choose arbitrarily choose my team, does that make me a bastard for choosing that way? Maybe a poor analagy, but oply given to help try to explain my failure to understand.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forced myself to take a peep into this thread and no doubt I'll beat a hasty retreat once I have lobbed in the hand grenade.

If anything proves that western Christianity is still in tortured denial, internal contradiction and spiritual deformity this Calvinist, anti-Calvinist, post-Calvinist thread does.

Why not start again and paint a different picture. This begins to look more and more like "The Scream."

Banging the door on my way out ....

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

That was helpful.

--------------------

Mouse
Shipmate
# 315

- Posted      Profile for Mouse         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sorry, while I understand much of the complaints against calvinism, I cannot understand why this characterization is necessary.

If I enter a football fantasy league, and choose arbitrarily choose my team, does that make me a bastard for choosing that way? Maybe a poor analagy, but oply given to help try to explain my failure to understand.

Maybe because when you play god your fantasy footbal team doesn't face eternal damnation because of your choice?!

Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

With my knowledge of football (especially as defined in the UK) it probably would.

Sorry, I guess we are getting nowhere fast.

--------------------

Mouse
Shipmate
# 315

- Posted      Profile for Mouse         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atticus:
[QB]God is in complete control of whom He saves and whom He does not. Nevertheless, we are obviously responsible for whether or not we choose God, so how much power does our choice have?
Christ loved the young rich ruler and, presumably, wanted him to be saved, but in the end the choice fell upon the young man. Christ was saddened, but did He credit the young ruler's lack of faith to God or to his own love of wealth?[QB]

I liked reading your take on the five points.

However, I think the young man you spoke of above needs to be put in context. This person came to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good should I do that I may have eternal life?" Jesus replied, "If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." Then Jesus listed some of the commandments, and the young man said, "I have kept all these, what do I still lack?" And Jesus told him to go and sell his many possessions and follow Him. And the young man was sorrowful and went away.

This young man believed that keeping the law would save him. Jesus knew that, and used that belief to let the young man see that he had a problem with coveting possessions.

Jesus had the opportunity to preach the gospel to this young man, "Believe on Me if you want life!" But he didn't.

Mouse

Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Nobody is going to roast in Hell because of your choices in a football fantasy league. Arbitrarily choosing some people to roast in Hell (regardless of their desires or merit) is a bastardly thing to do.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
I forced myself to take a peep into this thread and no doubt I'll beat a hasty retreat once I have lobbed in the hand grenade.

If anything proves that western Christianity is still in tortured denial, internal contradiction and spiritual deformity this Calvinist, anti-Calvinist, post-Calvinist thread does.

Why not start again and paint a different picture. This begins to look more and more like "The Scream."

Banging the door on my way out ....

just wondering, here....is this what is meant by a "hit and run" ???

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
afish:
"frater-frag
I’m almost sure that I agree with every thing you said in your last post. I think one needs to be careful though when one speaks of God being outside the space time continuum not to give the idea that He is outside looking in. God is and there is nowhere where He isn’t. Though as a Master of Divinity no doubt you‘ll know more about the finer details of omnipresence than I do."

When it comes to God standing outside time and space, the answer is both yes and no!

He is outside in the same sense that an artist is outside his creations!

But, on the other hand His body is inside!

Since Christ is God, and the Church(divided but still here on earth!) is His body, and we the christians are members of that body, logic implies that the Creator is also inside his work!

And finally, having a degree in divinity does not make you understand omnipotence better, however, having that knowledge makes is easier to learn more, and to use ones wits more efficient. But, I do admit that a good part of my "finer details" are a result of reading a certain CS Lewis

Hmm... wasn´t this reply to comment on calvinism...

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

- Posted      Profile for Atticus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
------------------
qt by Mouse:
However, I think the young man you spoke of above needs to be put in context. This person came to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good should I do that I may have eternal life?" Jesus replied, "If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." Then Jesus listed some of the commandments, and the young man said, "I have kept all these, what do I still lack?" And Jesus told him to go and sell his many possessions and follow Him. And the young man was sorrowful and went away.

This young man believed that keeping the law would save him. Jesus knew that, and used that belief to let the young man see that he had a problem with coveting possessions.

Jesus had the opportunity to preach the gospel to this young man, "Believe on Me if you want life!" But he didn't.

---------------------
Yes, sorry that bit was hastily added without enough attention on my part.
I will say that though Christ could have said, "Believe in me with all your heart, soul and mind and you will have eternal life." You know the straight old Gospel message, but in a sense He was really asking of him exactly that kind of faith. By telling the young man what He did, Christ was asking of him his complete trust, even at the loss of his most prized possessions. It takes faith to take a man at his word and give up your house, your bank account, your car. While I stand by Christ's love for the man and His yearning for the man's salvation, I acknowledge that the passage is not nearly as neatly in favor of my argument as I had presented.
Thanks for calling me on that Mouse.
As for why arbitrary means bastardly, I think Mouse and Mousethief said it best.
I know some Calvinists I love and a few I respect, so I hope I wasn't too offensive, but I do feel very strongly on this issue, I almost quit when I was in senior high because of my frustration with this very issue. I spent a lot of time thinking on those five pints(Freudian slip) before I could even say I believed in Christ.
Off the subject, why does arbitrary mean random and all? doesn't it share the same root as the word arbitrate, which is to decide fairly in a situation of discord?

Atticus

afish
Shipmate
# 1135

Stooberry you say,
“to say that "God has ordained that we have free will. God is in complete control of everything." is not a perfectly logical statement. … I am reminded of henry ford's quote: "you can have any colour, as long as it's black". “
Why is not logical Stoo me old berry? It isn’t, “any colour you want as long as it is black” (more sophistry). It’s, “choose between life and death , between obedience and disobedience, between The Living God and Baal.” The choice is real/free. Some choose life, some choose death. God doesn’t make our choice for us (even though He knew before we did what it would be), it is not forced. God accepts the decisions (even though it is NOT his will that any should perish). If He did not He would be going back on his word and making a nonsense of freewill. We have already seen that there are things that God cannot do. Do you believe that, because God cannot lie He is not Omnipotent or because God does not act nonsensically (making freewill=not freewill) therefore He is not in control?

Where and when in all this does God actually “loose” control? He can close down the whole shamoozle however and whenever He wants. He could “intervene” and start “controlling” people and events like a puppet master. Is that what we want to be, puppets? God is not standing in a corner scratching his head thinking “err umm, O dear where’s it all leading to? How’s it going to end?” He knows. He knew already before He said, “Let us make man in our own image.”

sharkshooter you say,
“How could God have saved everyone? Any way He wanted to - He is omnipotent after all. For example, He could have said " They are so bad, I will take away their free will."
or "They make so many bad choices, I will override their free will on this one issue" …”
It’s exactly “on this one issue”, as I’ve explained above, that God will not/cannot override. It is a nonsensical fallacy that God (omnipotent though He is) can force people into heaven. Even if we wanted to be to be puppets (which of course we don’t) the question always has to be what does God want? I’m convinced that He wants sons and daughters, made in his own image, freely giving back the love they have recieved, even though achieving this has cost Him so much pain and suffering. Love cannot be imposed on or forced out. It cannot be puppeted, if it is not from choice it is not love.
><>
If anyone sees Fr. Gregory around tell him please not to slam doors. It doesn’t help clear thinking and it ain’t becoming for a man of the cloth. Also tell him that, I for one am not painting pictures just trying to understand the one that has already been painted.

--------------------
Bob Dylan

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stooberry you say,
“to say that "God has ordained that we have free will. God is in complete control of everything." is not a perfectly logical statement. … I am reminded of henry ford's quote: "you can have any colour, as long as it's black". “
Why is not logical Stoo me old berry? It isn’t, “any colour you want as long as it is black” (more sophistry). It’s, “choose between life and death , between obedience and disobedience, between The Living God and Baal.” The choice is real/free. Some choose life, some choose death. God doesn’t make our choice for us (even though He knew before we did what it would be), it is not forced. God accepts the decisions (even though it is NOT his will that any should perish). If He did not He would be going back on his word and making a nonsense of freewill. We have already seen that there are things that God cannot do. Do you believe that, because God cannot lie He is not Omnipotent or because God does not act nonsensically (making freewill=not freewill) therefore He is not in control?

ok... let me put it in simple terms.

'john smith' is not a christian. he has thought about it all, but decided that it's all a load of crap.

it comes down to two possibilities:

1. john chose not to believe because God ordained that he would not believe.

2. john chose not to believe of his own free choice. God may (have attempted to) influence his decision, but did not have the final word.

if 1 is true, then john had no real choice. God decided for him.

if 2 is true, then it is john, and not God who was ultimately in control of that particular situation.

i don't think there's any other alternative. it doesn't matter a pig's trotter whether God knew what john was going to choose or not. either God was in control of it, or he wasn't. therefore, to say that john has freewill in his decision of whether to choose God or not, and that God has already decided what the outcome of john's decision will be, is complete crap, to pardon my french. God cannot be in complete control if we have free will to make our own decisions.

and yes, i believe that because God cannot lie, he is not omnipotent. off the top of my head, i don't see anywhere in the bible that God says he is. if there is evidence of his omnipotence in the bible, then please let me know... but pm me, don't let me derail this thread!

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
God doesn’t make our choice for us (even though He knew before we did what it would be), it is not forced. God accepts the decisions (even though it is NOT his will that any should perish). If He did not He would be going back on his word and making a nonsense of freewill.

Well, I've jumped to conclusions before but it looks as if you are not defending Calvinism at all with this. You are proposing simple foreknowledge.

Maybe we have been talking at cross-purposes here. To be a Calvinist surely you have to believe that every decision ever made was ultimately ordained by God. To be precise, if I decide to have Cornflakes for breakfast, a Calvinist believes that what I decided was ordained by God. Do you believe that afish? If not, I don't think you can call yourself a Calvinist.

The position you seem to be taking is a much more sensible position, though it has its problems.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

quote:
Originally posted by Stooberry:
and yes, i believe that because God cannot lie, he is not omnipotent. off the top of my head, i don't see anywhere in the bible that God says he is. if there is evidence of his omnipotence in the bible, then please let me know... but pm me, don't let me derail this thread!

oops... need to qualify, or even (shock horror) retract!

having posted, i've since remembered (d'uh) that God is the "almighty God". I think, then, basically, we need to redefine what power/might actually is... it is after all illogical to say that a being able to do all things cannot do x. p'raps it is as simple as God can do x, but he choses not to.

[tangent over]

i still stand by my other view; even though God is almighty, he is not in complete control.

--------------------
This space left blank

afish
Shipmate
# 1135

stooberry, you give the following illustration,

“'john smith' is not a christian. he has thought about it all, but decided that it's all a load of crap.
it comes down to two possibilities:
1. john chose not to believe because God ordained that he would not believe.
2. john chose not to believe of his own free choice. God may (have attempted to) influence his decision, but did not have the final word.
if 1 is true, then john had no real choice. God decided for him.
if 2 is true, then it is john, and not God who was ultimately in control of that particular situation”

Lets go with 2., except that God did have the final word, after john said “It’s all a load of crap.” God said , “As you will.” And no, God was (and always is) in ultimate control. He gave the choice, He gave john the freedom to make that choice and He chooses how and when his (God’s) just judgement of that choice is implemented.

stowaway you say,

“ Maybe we have been talking at cross-purposes here. To be a Calvinist surely you have to believe that every decision ever made was ultimately ordained by God. To be precise, if I decide to have Cornflakes for breakfast, a Calvinist believes that what I decided was ordained by God. Do you believe that afish? If not, I don't think you can call yourself a Calvinist.”

No it was me who chose (Weetabix with a sprinkle of muesli actually) but God knew already. Was my choice “ordained” by God? Well there is a sense in which we could allow that word. I choose but God decides (ordains?) whether or not to allow (ordain?) my choice. Now concerning my eating preferences I believe God could, when ever He wants , impose his will over mine. He could force me to eat Chocpics if He chose to BUT concerning salvation, as already explained, He can not impose or force without becoming a liar and acting nonsensically. Would I accept the word “ordained” in the sense of, we are just puppets in a puppet show? No of course not. Are there “Calvinists” who really believe that is what ordained (or predestined) means? I’ve never met any. Have you?
Am I a Calvinist? I believe the first two and the last two points of the tulip as presented by Wood, SteveTom and some others at the beginning of this thread are completely in accord with the revelation of God found in The Bible.

><>

--------------------
Bob Dylan

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
. Are there “Calvinists” who really believe that is what ordained (or predestined) means? I’ve never met any. Have you?

Psalm 139:15,16 (NIV)

"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

I still take comfort in knowing that God is in control. That He knows what is going to happen. That He is not an ogre or a bastard.

I am not "joyless", and some people actually like me. I am not an "infant" Christian who needs to mature in my faith to come to a more mature belief.

As I indicated earlier, I can accept that ordination (predestination) allows that in most cases God lets us decide, but that He, at the very least, intervenes sometimes. Just that He knows, in advance, what decisions we will make.

I know there are precious few who agree with what I am saying, but David and Paul both referred to it in the Bible and some people think they knew what they were talking about. So I have to believe there is something in it.

I have been reading this thread since it started, and was tired of it being so anti-Calvinist. We don't have to believe in it 100% - I think everyone makes their own conclusions on the issues. That just makes sense.

Just my, humble, opinion.

--------------------

Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

I think it is important to define whether we don't believe in calvinism, or we think it is incomplete. I forget who to attribute the quote to, but it has been said "I preach calvinism where the bibla preaches calvinism, I preach free will where the bible teaches free will." We often forget that everything does not have to fit together in a linear, logical way. Sometimes systematic theology is a hindrance to really understanding, or more pertinently acknowledging we don't understand, God. I've been told that this is committing intellectual suicide, but then again, I think intellect is highly overrated. Actually I think limiting our options by excluding seemingly faulty reasoning, may just be pointing to our own limited mental faculties. I stand by my debunking of Calvinism, but then again, I also believe God is sovreign, 100%, I suppose that's inconsistent. I think that though free will and God's sovreignty appear mutually exclusive, they don't have to be, have you ever tried to fit two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together, only to find that several more need to go in between? That's how I feel things work sometimes in our little brains. "I can't fit together God's sovreignty with my own free will! Honey, get me liquid paper and a pen, I'm going to make this fit if I have to rewrite the whole damn Bible!"
I'm done

--------------------
This time it's for real, I'm really gone until August. For real. Gone. Bye.

"My life would be a lot simpler if I were gay."

webmonkey
Apprentice
# 2253

- Posted      Profile for webmonkey         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We may rest assured that God would never have suffered any infants to be slain except those who were already damned and predestined for eternal death. - John Calvin

And I thought the religion with the 72 virgins was sick. If these are the type of people that are in heaven, how much worse can hell be?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Hear hear, Webmonkey!

Rdr Alexis

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiously, the writer which had a very profound effect on me when I was struggling with not living up to religious expectations was a Presbyterian called Stephen Brown (I think he's based somewhere in the Florida Keys) who declared himself a 5-pointer, but his book, "When Being is Good Isn't Good Enough" presents a vision of Christianity that is shot through with grace and forgiveness. Go figure.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was born of a predestinarian father and an arminian mother. Given that they spent the early years of their marriage arguing this it should give me an ability to comment fully.

I gave up the debate in my early twenties. Two reasons, firstly the arminians need to understand that my father requires that all options should be open to a person not just some! If options are not equally weighted or some are off limit are you sure that there is not really only one option available it just feels like you have choice? Secondly like others on the list I began to understand the problems of viewing God as subject to the rules of time!

That said I recently had a metaphor which gets about as close as I can to this. Consider a reader reading a book. The question is who determines the meaning? The author or the reader? While the author has the creative origin the reader is not passive in this task.

If you think of God as the author and you living your life as something akin to the reader reading a book.

I know it does not quite work but it is the best picture I have found yet.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will not worship a God who is not omnipotent.

And given what the world is like, I won't worship a god who is.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that Calvinism is the perverse result of an attempt to apply a classically French logical legalism to what is, at heart, an Asian mysticism. Like asking Thomas Aquinas to explain Zen.

You (or J.C., actually) start with one apparently self-evident first principle (omnipotence) and reason from that to a God that defies our sense of justice which we have always believed was given us by God.

But what it really comes down to, for me, is that Calvinism requires us to believe that God created some people solely for the purpose of damning them to eternal torment. I used to think Calvin just didn't grasp the implications of his convoluted logic, until I was copyediting a book of essays on his work and ran across a quotation in which he said (paraphrasing from memory, but with no doubt about the intended meaning): "If God wants to damn you, he will make sure you do something to deserve it." This is not a God of love.

One might suspect that Calvinism was an atheist plot, a kind of mirror image of Anselm's ontological proof, designed to prove the nonexistence of God by showing that an omnipotent, omniscient, onmibenevolent being is inherently contradictory...

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Various quotes:
quote:

perverse

a God that defies our sense of justice

God created some people solely for the purpose of damning them to eternal torment

Calvinism was an atheist plot

Please, can we stop the Calvinist-bashing? (I think the "discussion" ended a while ago.)

Remember, some of us have feelings, too.

Thank you

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do apologize for any hurt feelings--that was not at all my intention. Since I apparently got in on the discussion late, I will refrain from cruelty to dead horses and not waste bandwidth on clarifications.

Peace,

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look at the growing pages here and I think; good grief, it's still going on and on and on and on and on and on. Maybe Calvinism cannot be rehabilitated because the impasses it creates cannot be resolved.

Anyway, Father Ted says that Timothy has got a good point. What else would you expect from a medieval French lawyer?

From the thrower of occasional grenades ....

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All I have done has been worth nothing, and I am a miserable creature. But certainly I can say this, that I have willed what is good, that my vices have always displeased me, and that the root of the fear of God has been in my heart; and you may say that the disposition is good; and I pray you that the evil be forgiven me, and that if there was any good, that you conform yourselves to it and make it an example."

- Calvin's parting shot.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

She was raised in the Roman Catholic Church and taught that if she died after she committed a mortal sin and before she confessed it, she would go to hell.

Yes, it's true (hard though it may be for those of you who haven't been exposed). I was taught the same thing by nuns in Southern California.

quote:

The nuns taught her that many of her childish misbehaviors were mortal sins, so she spent most of her childhood trying to avoid hell.

I don't remember this. I was taught that missing Mass on Sunday was a mortal sin. I was quite blessed in that i didn't believe what the nuns or priests told me. I didn't like or respect them and to me they seemed like puny people.

Of course, this is off topic; but maybe i can get back on topic by saying that as bad as was the Catholicism i was exposed to, I don't see anything spiritually nourishing about Calvinism.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, this thread could have been laid to rest with those very moving (because seemingly honest) last words of Calvin's, which were posted by SteveTom.
Nevertheless, i will correct my post so that i am not misunderstood, it should read: (...hard though it may be to believe,for those who haven't been exposed)

---also leaving in a big hurry,

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Day
Apprentice
# 2328

- Posted      Profile for Ian Day   Author's homepage   Email Ian Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit late to come in, but as a Calvinist for 45 years I can contribute.

This is a general statement explaining what is commonly called "calvinism".

God is revealed in his word, in nature, in man, in Christ, in the eternal covenant with man in Christ, in the cross & resurrection of Christ, and ultimately in a glorious New Heaven & New Earth.

It is common to "refute" calvinism by a simple process of non-Scriptural negative logic such as:
"Man can do nothing but sin & be damned, unless God shooses to save him, if he is elect. Even our behaviour has nothing to do with salvation. If we're elect nothing we can do can lose our salvation. If we're not elect, there is no way we can be saved."

Reformed Theology (aka Calvinism) is positive. We are concerned with the living God, the God whose name is Love, who created a good universe, and sustains that universe by a caring providence. He created man in his image, for fellowship with himself, and gave him woman as an intimate & loving companion. (Gen. 1-2)

We are concerned with a God who hates sin, and condemns those who reject him. Yet he loves, and does not destroy without providing a way to life. More than that, our God has provided for the complete and perfect restoration of the fallen world, and a people to live there with him for a glorious eternity. (Gen. 3, Rev. 21)

God has provided an everlasting covenant with man in Christ, whereby rebel sinners become the people of God. A covenant which cannot be broken, because it is between God and man in Christ. A covenant sealed with the blood of Christ.

God is a God of love, who in his love for his people sent his Son to save them. (Mat. 1:21)

The so-called 5 points of Calvinism are only part of a comprehensive system of Bible understanding.
1. We are all born with a fallen nature, with all our faculties corrupt, totally depraved, therefore we are all born lost and condemned so there is nothing any of us can do to be earn salvation. We are sinners by nature and by practice. Dead in trespasses & sins. (Eph. 2:1)
Total depravity does not mean "absolutely evil from birth" for we are all capable of acting according to an imperfect reflection of our being "in the image of God" for we love our parents, our wife, our husband, our children, and act in kindness to our fellow humans. We act as stewards of creation, in husbandry & land & animal management. Some are more wicked than others, but all are sinners.
Absolute evil is what we see before the flood, in the Amorite practices, and in the final rejection of Christ by the Jewish leaders. Verses which speak of the fulness of iniquity. (e.g. Gen. 6:5, 15:16, Mat. 23:32)

2. God loves his creation, and will restore it, to be inhabited by redeemed and restored people, his people. However, all are lost and condemned.
God elected a vast number of people to be saved, chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world. (Eph. 1:4) This election is unconditional with respect to the goodness, faith, etc of the elect, for all are sinners, and all are lost & guilty in God's sight.

3. The people are to be redeemed, by Christ himself dying for our sins, receiving in himself their condemnation, their death for sin. This is a particular redemption, God's people are no longer their own, they are bought with a price, the precious blood of Christ. (1 Peter 1:19)

4. Salvation of the elect has to be achieved in time, and God has a gospel of salvation: "repent and turn to God and do works meet for repentance." (Mark 1:15, Acts 26:20) The state of spiritual death (Eph. 2:1) must be reversed. The Holy Spirit enters the spirit of the sinner giving spiritual life, so that he is born again, born of the Spirit, passed from death to life. (John 1:12-13, 3:3ff, 5:21, 24ff.) The sinner who once rejected Christ and the Gospel sees his sin, and repents, and trusts Christ alone and his saving work as the only basis for his salvation. His will is transformed, so that now he delights in God and God's commandments. This "new creature" is seen in new life, spiritual life, by godly living.

5. Those God loves and saves are saved completely, and are secure in Christ. God will not leave hold of his people, not can they lose that new spiritual life, for they have a new spiritual nature. Nor will they return to sin, or continue in sin, claiming "once saved always saved." (Rom. 6)

While the elect, & only the elect will be saved, and saved completely, the Gospel itself is not limited to the elect. There is the universal command to repent and turn to God. (Is. 45:22, Acts 17:30, 26:20, Rev. 14:6-7) No-one is lost because they are not elect, but because of sin. When Christ is preached, he is preached freely to all. The command to repent & believe is the means of calling the elect. (1 Cor. 1:21ff.) Those who reject that command are rejecting their only way of salvation. THe fact that all are dead in trespasses & sins means that God has to do more than proclaim forgiveness through Christ to save them. He has to regenerate them, give them life.

Calvinism is seen to be hard & anti-evangelical when it is taken out of its place in Scripture.

In its rightful place in Scripture, centred on Christ, it is the Gospel of the grace of God, the Gospel of Love, for God is Love.

Remember that these "doctrines of grace" are Christ-centred & based on a belief in Scripture alone as the revelation of God's truth. Logical arguments against what is called "calvinism" have no force unless they are themselves based on Scripture.

Posts: 3 | From: Southall, Every Nation Gospel Fellowship | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Ian Day, Welcome to the Ship!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016