homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake!
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think the time has come for a visit to a fascinating website:

Smellypoop.com -- Facts on Poop

With special attention to the section:

What happens when I'm at work and have to poop?

[edited to fix URL]

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Laura, I have to say that you have just displaced the Chastmastr as holder of the award for the most whacked-out weird-ass link posted on the Ship of Fools.

Where do you want us to send the Prize?

(And no, David, this does not mean that you need to raise the bar.)

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc,

Quote: "We still have a cracked pink loo sitting in the back yard. I thought I might plant strawberries in it or something..."

You could use those strawberries in a lovely holiday triffle, but perhaps not disclose their origin to your guests.

Greta

--------------------

Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to confess to being an Agony Aunt.
While visiting my sister in California, she and my nephews drove me to Venice Beach to see the....ah....unusual people there.
Some of the local beach residents have lived there since 1966 without having ever bathed or found gainful employment, I believe. Some I think are just in a 60's time warp.

Naturally, the boys had "to go," so they approached the large public restroom on the beach.

I was appalled that my sister was going to even let them enter the men's side (littered with condoms), so we checked that the women's side was empty and made the boys go in there. One called out, "Mom, there's poop on the seat!"

My immediate Agony Aunt instinct (which I gave vent to), was to scream "Don't touch anything!" Everyone but me burst into loud laughter!

Needless to say my sister (and my nephews) thought I was out of my mind... but you have to remember where we were.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
btw.. WE MADE THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
???? of what, Sieg?
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc_Dimittis:
???? of what, Sieg?

[coughs slightly] Erm, I think Siegfried is referring to the front page of
www.ship-of-fools.com, which I believe is quite an internet magazine, with lots of articles about the interface between Christianity and the real world, and also to which these boards may be related.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or you could just try ship-of-fools.com instead

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, how is the flat smelling today?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like vanilla and cinnamon (I am burning some candles).

I cannot believe that out of the ten billion threads on this bulletin board, this is the most interesting. That is just PATHETIC.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I cannot believe that out of the ten billion threads on this bulletin board, this is the most interesting. That is just PATHETIC.

You ought to know by now where most shipmates' minds are.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To delight Erin, move the discussion on a little and to contribute my own thoughts belatedly – does anyone else suffer from the “can’t pee because there’s someone next to me” syndrome? The toilets at work which I use have two cubicles boarded off from the room but with no soundproofing qualities. The tension generated by two people sitting less than a metre apart both waiting to pee has a very adverse effect on the bladder’s abilities to (ahem) ‘let go’. In terms of ease of peeing, I’ve complied my personal observations of this phenomena, starting with the most desirable situation to the most cringeworthy embarrassing one.

1. Nobody else in bathroom.
2. Nobody in bathroom when you enter, once you are already in your cubical someone else comes into the next door cubical. You leave before they do.
3. Someone is in the cubical when you arrive. You enter other cubical and they complete their business before you have to leave.
4. You come into the bathroom and into a cubical whilst someone is using the washbasin mirror area for various hygiene / vanity reasons.
5. You enter bathroom simultaneously to someone else, and both go into a cubical. This is disastrous. Neither of you is able to pee.

Contributing negative factors can include: eye contact with other person, the other person being a student to whom you have recently given a low mark (or your head of department), urgency with which you need to go, queue of people waiting to use facilities after you.
Mitigating factors can include: other people chatting in the room.
Distracting tactics are limited, but may include rustling of toilet paper, or, if you are feeling brave, stating up of a casual conversation with the other waiting would be pee-er (if you know them – risky but can be a successful tactic). If all else fails, and the other person refuses to leave before you, then the only option is to admit defeat gracefully and try to carry off a “I only needed a sit down and a break from the office” look.

Any helpful advice or recommendations gratefully received.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best thing is to use a different set of loos. Go to a dept that does not have many females, and use their facilities.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
when it causes that much agony, i would recommend flushing the toilet before you begin your....business. then you only have to contend with a guilty conscience for wasting water. unless you don't flush again, and that's just icky.
Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
clare, thats called a "bashful bladder". though personally i don't suffer from it, i've heard of many people who do. blackbird has a good idea, if for no other reason than that the sound of running water can help, um, move things along.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clare,

Try dropping a couple of sheets of loo roll down beforehand to drown the noise.

Or....put your fingers in your ears, then you can't hear yourself, (yes, I have done this...poor sad creature that I am)

Your observations remind me so much of those of Ben Elton back in the 80's....ecept that his were....errr...shall we say slightly more 'basic!'

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I think this is a common enough problem. I used to have it once in awhile. But I found that visualizing men striding up to urinals next to each other and pissing away without a second of embarrassment has helped me. I don't know why, maybe it's just "well hell if they can do it so can I". Although I'm sure there are men who have this problem too and it must be even more embarrassing when you're right there out in the open. At least with the privacy of a stall we can pretend that perhaps there's other things we came in for ...

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ultraspike, oh yes, en do too... i know i read an ann landers letter from a guy once with the problem. he could barely use a public bathroom at all as i recall... when he absolutly had to, he used the stall rather than the urinal.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could help to take the position of Judith Martin: "A lady leaves the table to powder her nose, a gentleman to make a phone call. These are the only possible reasons [I] can think of."

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bashful bladder syndrome! how cute! lots of good advice there pals...

my own top tip for life in general has proved a lifesaver in many situations when the toilets just don't smell that good. just take a few sheets of toilet paper (or a whole roll if you're travelling in asia and are happily equipted) and cover over your nose and mouth. breathe through them . better than a air freshner!

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, now, Clare, that in itself is a potential problem.......
"Is the toilet paper clean?"
"Who touched it before I did?"
"And, if they did touch it........WHAT DID THEY HAVE ON THEIR HANDS???????"

Love Ags

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hands up anyone else who has discovered that the person in the next cubicle, who has just spent the past few minutes grunting and farting, turns out to be a member of senior management that you used to respect.

And what I would really like to know is who it is in our office who regularly eats sandwiches in the toilet and dumps unwanted tomato slices in the disposal bin. How anyone can bring themselves to eat in there is a complete mystery to me. Or why.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The worst--being in a stall, having someone enter the next stall down, and then hearing them start up a conversation on their Cell Phone!!!!!

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

ewwww.... who would youcall from the bathroom???

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw an ad in a stall recently that said "Got a free hand? You could be sending email!"

--------------------

babybear
# 34

My Mum refuses to use recycled toilet paper. I have explained that it is recycled paper made into toilet tissue, and not actual toilet paper recycled. But she still refuses.

quote:
Originally posted by Carmel:
How anyone can bring themselves to eat in there is a complete mystery to me. Or why.

Before the days of "Parents and Babies" room, breastfeeding mothers were expected to feed their babies in toilets! Thankfully such days have gone.

bb

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The website I cited to above I pointed out mainly because of the guide to "pooping at work", which I'll excerpt quote below.

It's a little gross, but when someone forwarded it to me, I laughed out loud at some of it, because it's so true -- how you can't poop if someone's already in another stall, and how you search for under-used bathrooms, etcetera.

Survival Guide for Taking a Dump at Work.

Memorize these definitions and pooping at work will become a pure pleasure.

ESCAPEE: A fart that slips out while taking a leak at the urinal or forcing poop in a stall. This is usually accompanied by a sudden wave of panic/embarrassment. This is similar to the hot flash you receive when passing an unseen police car & speeding. If you release an escapee, do not acknowledge it. Pretend it did not happen. If you are standing next to the farter at the urinal, pretend that you did not hear it. No one likes an escapee, it is uncomfortable for all involved. Making a joke or laughing makes both parties feel uneasy.

OUT OF THE CLOSET POOPER: A colleague who poops at work and is damn proud of it. You will often see an Out of the Closet Pooper enter the bathroom with a newspaper or magazine under their arm. Always look around the office for the Out OF THE CLOSET POOPER before entering the bathroom.

THE POOPING FRIENDS NETWORK (PFN): This is a group of coworkers who band together to ensure emergency pooping goes off without incident. This group can help you to monitor the whereabouts of OUT OF THE CLOSET POOPERS and identify SAFE HAVENS.

SAFE HAVEN: A seldom used bathroom somewhere in the building where you can least expect visitors. Try floors that are predominantly of the opposite sex. This will reduce the odds of a pooper of your sex entering the bathroom.

CAMO-COUGH: A phony cough which alerts all new entrants into the bathroom that you are in a stall. ... Very effective when used in conjunction with an ASTAIRE.

ASTAIRE: This is a subtle toe-tap that is used to alert all potential TURD BURGLARS that you are occupying a stall. This will remove all doubt that the stall is occupied. If you hear an ASTAIRE, leave the bathroom immediately so the pooper can poop in peace.

UNCLE TED: A bathroom user who seems to linger around forever. Could spend extended lengths of time in front of the mirror or sitting on the pot. An UNCLE TED makes it difficult to relax while on the crapper, as you should always wait to drop your load when the bathroom is empty. This benefits you as well as the other bathroom attendees.

FLY BY: The act of scouting out a bathroom before pooping. Walk in, check for other poopers. If there are others in the bathroom, leave and come back again. Be careful not to become a FREQUENT FLYER. People may become suspicious if they catch you constantly going into the bathroom.

There's an Uncle Ted at our office who spends about thirty minutes per visit, blocking one sink to do makeup, tooth brushing, hair brush and spray. When I do a Fly-by, I always leave if she's there.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Why is it that men are the only ones I've ever seen going into a bathroom with reading material? I work at a law firm and I think lawyers glory in strutting into the men's room with their briefs. In fact it's a well known fact that they are expected to carry a brief into the stall with them.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

actually, ultraspike, i frequently take things into the bathroom with me. but then, i read very fast, so i can get a lot read in a short time.

what gets me, and i've seen this with my brothers, my father, and my husband, is that men take so LONG in the bathroom if they are doing anything other than just peeing. my mother had the theory that since most of the time they were just standing, when they did get to sit down, they settled in for awhile to make up for it...

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised the Gideons haven't taken advantage of this vast evangelistic opportunity: Bibles in all the stalls of men's rest rooms. Of course, they might be used when one discovers that the tissue dispenser is empty. In the days before tissue was supplied, the Sears catalog was a standard fixture.

Greta

[corrected spelling]

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we are discussing 'Toiletology', perhaps Shipmates can help me to resolve a problem which has long bothered me?

Toilet cisterns in UK contain a complicated siphonage arrangemnt. A brisk press on the handle causes a piston to force water into the siphon, whereupon natural law causes the tank to empty where it will do most good!

On a trip to USA, I was kept awake in my hotel room by the sound of trickling water. Investigations showed that this was coming from the toilet. Another flush didn't cure the problem, so I looked inside the cistern. There was nothing there - just a tank full of water and a little rubber flap connected to the handle! The problem was that the flap was slightly twisted and was not sitting flat. A swift prod with a coathanger liberated from the wardrobe fixed it.

I have had the same problem in other hotel rooms on other trips across the herring pond, and have always found the same thing. I have not liked to investigate domestic USA plumbing on the rare occasions when I have been in a house!

So - is the 'flap' technology universal in the USA and Canada; or indeed in other parts of the world. If so - why? The UK siphon is far more complicated (and, no doubt, expensive!) but it cannot waste water - once the tank is empty, it takes another push on the handle to restart the action. Conversely, a faulty flap could waste water for hours/days.

Any comments greatfully received - if only so I could start to ponder something else. Perhaps I could start to wonder why USA public urinals have manual flushes whereas UK ones are automatic? There I go again! Help!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

I'm no expert on toilet mechanisms but in my experience the problem you mention is quite prevalent here. I know it's not rocket science, but it seems that a well functioning toilet is rare in older buildings. It is a rather complicated device to get adjusted just right apparently. Both here in my apt. and at church the toilet does not flush properly even after many attempts at adjusting. And I can remember having the same problem at home in Texas. We've also gone to the "low flow" flushers which drive me nuts. It makes the water stop before it completely empties and thus you must hold down the flusher to get an adequate amount of water to flush. It does save water, but only men who have no need of toilet paper can accomplish a flush with no extra effort.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand, Ultra, that there is a booming cross-border flow of Canadian toilets, which don't have to have these conservative devices attached, and therefore flush like they did in the good old days.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TonyK

If you jiggle the handle on the toilet it will usually stop running.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Tony, what you describe about American plumbing is pretty ubiquitous. In fact, just the other day, I went to the hardware store to buy a new, patent-pending flushing device that I intend to install on our downstairs demon-possessed toilet--if my mother-in-law ever vacates the premises, that is.

On the other hand, the UK method sounds absolutely terrifying. I had occasion recently to experience a British flushing device first hand (as it were) when I flew to Italy on British Airways.

During the night, I had occasion to make use of the, er, facilities, and after I was done, I pushed the little button and nothing happened.

Well, I pushed the button again. Still nothing. So I stood up, pulled myself together, and washed up, then closed the lid of the toilet, figuring I would tell the flight attendant that their loo was busted.

Then, the moment the lid dropped, there was this explosive popping noise and the air pressure in the toilet dropped. I actually felt my skin puffing out.

It was unnerving. Evidently, when the lid is closed, instead of blue water gently flushing the waste away, the pipe opens to the outside and the air-pressure difference between 45,000 feet and the plane cabin blasts the poop to oblivion. I know this for a fact because I experimented several times, only stopping because I was afraid the toilet was going to suck all the air out of the plane and people would complain.

We were flying over Iceland at the time. I pity the poor souls in Rekyavik. I hope they take precautions.

If the water siphons in the UK behave any way similar to their BA cousins, I will earnestly avoid British toilets in the future.

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that Tomb (lol) but I don't think airplane systems are quite the same!! Ground-based facilities work with water.

Moo - I have tried that trick - several times on each occasion - but it has rarely worked for me. Thank heavens for coat-hangers!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo--this would no doubt explain the band named "Jiggle the Handle".

Clare: re. bashful bladders: I remember my sister being told "Think of Niagara Falls!" I believe it worked (unlike "Visualize World Peace.")

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of people in London under flightpaths to Heathrow have been bombed by frozen toilet waste from planes.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

the conversation has now deteriorated to such a point that the only thing i feel i can offer is this little ditty taught to me by my father, which he learned in his misspent youth:

you and me after dark,
goosing statues in the park.
if shermans horse can take it, so can you.

passengers please refrain
from flushing toilets while the train
is in the station.
i love you.

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

is in the station.
i love you.

Ah yes - When the train is in the station,
Please refrain from urination!

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TonyK --
jiggling the handle of the toilet to make it stop running is an art, not something you can just do because someone told you to do it. But I have never heard of making the adjustment with a hanger (wire) and am forced to conclude that this also is an art. I salute your mastery of this particular way of delaing with American plumbing.

IN the meantime, let us all think about why this is one of the most popular discussion on a website devoted to Christian Unreat? Hmmm. The Gospel of Christ in the Urinal? Just what would that be?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not feel it is necessary to use a coathanger to adjust the seal on the cistern as the water in there is pure and clean as comes out of the tap.

I'm not sure if it is a feature of older toilets, but toilets here have a central column with a rubber seal on it which rises (and lowers on release) when the button is pressed, this opens a drainage hole and the stored water in the cistern flushes down to the bowl. There is also a float on an arm sitting on the surface of the water which controls the water flowing into the cistern, once the float reaches a certain level, it mechanically shuts off the flow of water into the cistern.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
is in the station.
i love you.

This is sung to the tune of "Humoresque". The first line goes,

Passengers will please refrain...

There are more words, but I will spare you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Dear Coot - thank you for the description of the workings of cisterns in Oz - more for my collection!

And yes - I do realise that the water is clean! It's just that at 02:00 am (the time when the sound seems to wake me) I have no desire to awaken even further by plunging my arm up to the elbow in cold water!!

Besides - some of these cisterns have chemical blocks in them (disinfectant, presumeably) which also rather puts me off skin contact!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, i remember those rubber seals...they disintegrate eventually and that contributes to the leaking...and even though it is clean water, the inside of the tank does tend to get slimy over time....putting your arm in there can't be as bad as retrieving something, a hair clip for instance, from the toilet after....using it.

and speaking of fathers and toilets...mine never said he was going to make a phone call (didn't sing strange songs about goosing statues either). he said he was going to see a man about a horse...i must've been 8 or so before i figured it out. what a disappointment.

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

blackbird, thats not the only strange ditty my father taught me... also slightly germain to the topic:

listen! listen!
the cats pissin'!
where? where?
under the chair!
run, run,
get the gun.
oops, to late,
he's already done.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like a relation of:

Hasten, Jason
Fetch a basin.
Too late! Stop.
Fetch a mop.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Too late, too late
'Tis all in vain.
The cat has licked
it up again"

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Well since we've gone this far down,

"If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Please be neat and wipe the seat."

--------------------

Mrs de Point
Shipmate
# 1430

- Posted      Profile for Mrs de Point   Author's homepage   Email Mrs de Point   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or alternatively:

If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Be a sweetie wipe the seatie

--------------------
Beware I am not in control of my hormones..... or my mind

Posts: 602 | From: Across the road from Calvin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016