homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake! (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Argh!! My apartment smells like a urinal cake!
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
nicole...look what you started! who knew we had so many gifted bards aboard.

here's for those w/septic tanks instead of city plumbing...i prop it on the tank when we have city guests:

city living's not like town
nothing solid should go down.

(we have had to explain what "solid" entails...from now on, maybe i'll just refer guests to this site)

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oops...yes, that should read

country living's not like town
nothing solid should go down.

you can take the gal outta the city,
but you can't take the city outta the gal!

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I sit brokenhearted
Had to poop but only farted.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
This is sung to the tune of "Humoresque". The first line goes,

Passengers will please refrain...

There are more words, but I will spare you.

Moo

I will not spare you. Inquiring minds must know. Here's the whole thing (cue Dvorak)

Passengers will please refrain
from flushing toilets while the train
is standing in the station
I love you.(filler)

Or the people passing by
will see what's come from your inside
and gripe about the mess
upon their shoes!

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The flap-failing-to-seal-toilet-runs-constantly problem is perennial for one particular toilet in my parents' home. For this reason, they started to keep a long-handled wooden spoon on the back of the tank, next to the tissue box, with which the fastidious may open the tank and flip the flap down.

Of course, to the untutored guest, it only appears that there is a very long spoon in the bathroom, and clearly out there for a purpose, but not one that anyone can think of. This was the occasion for intense and sustained hilarity when I came downstairs after first using it after they began placing the spoon there (I had not been aware of the flap problem) and said that the new cabinet looked very nice (recently installed) but then said,

"And the spoon is for.....?"

I mean, what could it be? Constipation assistance? A little cooking over the radiator? I have to add that this Thanksgiving, they seem to have replaced the spoon with a chopstick, but I still get giggle fits when I see it there, even though I know very well, now, why it's there.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
a new, patent-pending flushing device that I intend to install on our downstairs demon-possessed toilet--if my mother-in-law ever vacates the premises, that is.

Erm... you do mean "vacates your place of residence," not "vacates the downstairs toilet," don't you?

Don't you?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, what about the Indian style of loos? A hole in the floor with foot-print ribbed tiles either side to stand on; then you hunker down and do whatever....and there's a jug or such-like containing water for you to wash your bum with, using your left hand of course. Extremely hygienic. Nowadays you get them with flush rather than having to pour the water in. Problems when there is a drought.
And septic tanks? Friends of ours asked for monetary contributions to a replacement tank as their wedding present.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
...a new, patent-pending flushing device that I intend to install on our downstairs demon-possessed toilet--if my mother-in-law ever vacates the premises, that is.

quote:
ChastMastr replied:

Erm... you do mean "vacates your place of residence," not "vacates the downstairs toilet," don't you?

Don't you?

Well, of course I do! Though, if truth be told, I am discovering depths of terror that I didn't know I had after my terrible experiences in/on that British Airways loo.

I am suddenly beginning to realize just why small children become so traumatized by toilet training. That atavistic fear of being flushed into the sewer....

So your post, David, raised these horrific images of my mother-in-law vacating....

Oh, never mind.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The time has come for me to tell a nice little story of when I was on holiday in Ethiopia - a basic holiday, camping around the highlands.

We had very basic facilities - like a shovel. My favourite story is when another woman and I trotted off round the corner away from the truck and I was in the middle of er well... and this boy came up to us and stood in front of me and watched me!! Once I had finished he wandered down the road and stood staring at the group. I do wonder if he talks about me still though!

I have few inhibitions now!

Maddie

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a very, very lovely stage of motherhood. It is when the children will permit you to go to the toilet by yourself!
It used to be that they would start crying, or banging on the door. Maybe they thought that I would get flushed into the sewers!

Oh the joy of being allowed to be alone in the bathroom.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin - just as a thought - does your apartment smell any better now??

After interesting diversions, I still wondered!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maddie:
The time has come for me to tell a nice little story of when I was on holiday in Ethiopia - a basic holiday, camping around the highlands.

I didn't know you'd been to Ethiopia, but I'm glad someone else came up with the concept as I have many, many stories...

for example in East Africa it is common for your host to ask you "haja kubwa au haja ndogo?" ("big need or small need", you work it out) and then direct you to either a screened-off place with some obviously well-fertilised (mossy!) stones, or a pit latrine, depending.

stories about pit latrines... hmmm. a colleague investigating mosquito breeding sites... hmm... how strong are your stomachs?

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have we finally exhausted this subject? I'm now wondering if there's anyone out there who has actually trained their cat to use a human toilet. I've heard it can be done but have never been brave enough to try it. I had an iguana for about five years and I trained him to go in the bathtub. (Actually he just started doing it on his own.) I've often wondered why dogs can't be trained to do that. That's a big reason I prefer cats, not having to walk them twice a day.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Have we finally exhausted this subject? I'm now wondering if there's anyone out there who has actually trained their cat to use a human toilet. I've heard it can be done but have never been brave enough to try it. I had an iguana for about five years and I trained him to go in the bathtub. (Actually he just started doing it on his own.) I've often wondered why dogs can't be trained to do that. That's a big reason I prefer cats, not having to walk them twice a day.

Oh, for heaven's sake, spike, if you're squeamish, don't read about scatology.

But tell me more about your auto-eliminatory porcelain-loving lizard.... Inquiring minds want to know....

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Who you callin' squeamish? You don't live with an iguana for five years if you're squeamish. They're movements are usually once a day, all at once, and not a pretty sight. Before he started going in the tub I had to clean it up by hand. This wasn't so bad when he was still small, but he grew to 5 feet long (3 of which was tail) so you can imagine the volume. After he outgrew his terrarium I let him run free in the apt. He had his hot rock and would sit in the window most of the day and jump down about 5:00 and go get in the tub and do his business.

But Iggy liked dry cat food and that was his downfall. I didn't know they were not suppose to have any meat. They're strictly vegetarian so it did something to his intestines and he died a rather horrible death which I won't describe here. I don't recommend having iguanas as pets, by the way. They usually don't live very long in captivity unless the environment is just right.

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

I just ran across this while reading a review of The Madness of King George (III):

Medical science at the time could not offer much help: Great attention is lavished on the condition of the king's stools, and particularly their color. The king performs royally upon the pot, but, as a doctor observes sadly, "One may produce a copious, regular evacuation every day of the week and still be a stranger to reason." (Future historians were able to deduce from the medical records that George's mental state was caused by porphyria, a metabolic imbalance.)

--------------------

blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

will someone please open the windows!!! ultraspike...i think you need a nice little walk around the block.

on a sadder note...my cat, murphy, has been gone for more than a week. we fear the worst. i feel i must repent of the 'orrible things i said about cats earlier in this post...i remember so well how my daughter used to stuff him into the second floor of her dollhouse when murphy was a kitten. she'd pull his tail out different windows...he loved it....sniff.

Sandcastle
Apprentice
# 1908

- Posted      Profile for Sandcastle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You people are a hoot!

Yes, Canuck toilets work the same way as United Statesians. Personally, I prefer the Euro chain pulling-type myself, altough I do find them noisier.

I have 2 cats, and the only time they pooped in the bathtub was when their kitty litter hadn't been cleaned for a while. Very clear message sent there,"You llke this place clean? Well, so do we!"

When I had been out in the country, I didn't understand why the children didn't flush much. One of the adults explained that they do that to conserve water, and their motto is,"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

--------------------
Waters rose as my doubts reigned,
My sandcastle faith, it slipped away,
Found myself standing on Your grace
It'd been there all the time. {Caedmon's Call}

Posts: 2 | From: Canajan, eh? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thanks guys this thread really cheered me up tonight. i've seen it on the hell board for a while, and avoided reading it, figuring i didn't particularly want to discuss urinal cakes. but i gave it a go, as it was the week's essential reading

reading through i was plagued with many questions, which all got answered, except two...

1. what is/are biscuits and gravy???
i also have this image of custard creams floating in bistro and meat juice...mmmm, tasty

2. erin said she worked in a subway - isn't that an underground tunnel, or the underground train system in usa? how can you eat in them?

thanks, viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sarkycow, theres a restaurant chain in the us called subway. i assume thats what erin ment. they serve sandwiches.

as for biscuits and gravy, remember what you call a biscuit, we americans call a cookie. not quite sure what you call what we call biscuits, but they are not sweet, they are more bready, but not quite like bread.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In other words, they are scones.

And you eat them with strawberry jam (jelly) and cream.

My Mum caught a domestic flight to Brisbane from Sydney and had this US chap sitting next to her. They served scones with jam and cream for the in-flight snack. She had a marvelous time showing him how to eat it (even though being coeliac she can't eat it herself)!!! (You split the scone, then smear jam and cream respectively on the broken pieces.

You can also make a delicious sweet pumpkin variety - used to be a specialty of my Grandma's.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc_Dimittis:
In other words, they are scones.

And you eat them with strawberry jam (jelly) and cream.

mmmmmm, cream tea - with proper cornish clotted cream and strawbery jam and crumbly scones...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - pity about the instant calories, but soooooo nice

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mmm... yes possibly they are what you call scones. not quite sure though as i've never had a real british scone.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

isn't this the urinal thread? what's all this talk about scones and tea?

how about getting back on track,
anyone familiar with a scupper attack?

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

What's a scupper attack? Must be a New England thing.

Today I just want to rant about the quality of toilet paper in public facilities. Usually you have to work like mad to get enough paper to finish your business, scratching and pulling the paper in shreds from the behemoth coils which don't want to disgorge more than one 4 inch sheet at a time.

--------------------

blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

at least there's hope when a tightly coiled roll resists you...when it's empty, yuck.

well, i've never experienced a scupper attack personally, but my husband is an old sea salt and spins a yarn for the kiddies from time to time about the latrines onboard our nation's military vessels. his was the USS California...a scupper attack is what happens when the bilge depressurizes when you've the misfortune of sitting on the loo, it's like backwash,...think of sitting above old faithful, only it's the contents of the latrines that comes roaring up at you...the men yell out "scupper attack" so everyone can clear out. something all of us who linger at the urinal onboard the ship here, should keep in mind.

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

That sounds awful, blackbird. btw, did your cat come back?

--------------------

blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

thank you for asking, ultraspike...unfortunately, no, the murfster is still missing...one glimmer of hope, though...the week before he went missing, we discovered someone had written "who am i?" on his flea collar. my daughter wrote "murphy" after it. so we hope some nice person has adopted him and even calls him by his name.

but then a lot of people hunt around here...and that's a grim thought. i should have bought him a little orange collar.

Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
blackbird, I am sorry about your cat.

I thought of this thread quite recently; I was in a neighborhood, fairly upscale coffee shop. I borrowed their (unisex) facilities, and was amused to see, behind a ladder leaning against the wall, a urinal. With a silk plant in it.

Bene

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone thinks there's no connection between biscuits & gravy and this thread? C'mon, folks, use your imaginations!

Biscuits are a quick bread -- kind of like scones, kind of like shortbread -- and are divine with butter and honey and alternatively with a thick, white, sausage gravy. I used to go to a place that made a killer red-eye gravy, which is sausage gravy with coffee grounds in it. mmmmmmm

Cream tea, as noted above, is one of the finest things on the planet.

Now I'm hungry. Dang.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh man.. now I have a craving for biscuits and gravy. Curse you all!!!!

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the original assertion.

We call them "piss eaters" here.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like the place to post a warning against -

TOILET CLEANSERS THAT WILL EAT YOUR CISTERN!

You know those things you buy, usually in packets of two? Drop them in the cistern and they deodorise, reduce limescale and turn the flush water a charming shade of ocean blue? I started using them a few months ago in my nice new blue-and-white bathroom. Every few weeks, as the flush paled, I'd chuck in another one. Then I noticed the cistern was beginning to leak in big blue puddles...

They hadn't been dissolving: they had been forming a layer of sediment in the bottom of the cistern thereby rendering, by some osmotic process, the cistern porous. We had to spend hours flushing it all out.

They don't tell you that on the packet, do they?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

but do you eat this red-eye gravy mixture (barf) while you're in the bog? don't answer that. we yankees don't go in much for biscuits and gravy...how about a poor man's sub (hoagie, grinder)?....just dip a piece of scala bread in italian gravy...stay as far away from the bathroom as possible while enjoying it.
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Thanks for the warning on those "Ty-d-bowl" dropins. I rather like the color and occasionally use them. But it's hard to imagine them eating the porcelain.

As for red-eye gravy, all I can recommend it for is with a hangover cure of tabasco sauce, bacon and a shot of moonshine. And if that doesn't get you into the throne room in a hurry, nothing will.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
I borrowed their (unisex) facilities, and was amused to see, behind a ladder leaning against the wall, a urinal. With a silk plant in it.

Bene

Well, at least it was well watered.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
.... I used to go to a place that made a killer red-eye gravy, which is sausage gravy with coffee grounds in it....

Good grief, woman, who told you that? You start spreadin' culinary slanders like that around, it will make California fall off into the sea just that much quicker.

Coffee grounds indeed. I spit on your coffee grounds! Pthew!

Red-eye gravy is made from the pan drippings of cured ham, and the magic ingredient is black coffee, not coffee grounds! Eeeuuuwww! Some people even make it with de-caff coffee, but that's a narthern innovation that I don't hold with.

There ain't any sausage innit atall.

On the other hand, I am the King of biscuits and gravy. Every year on the Martin Luther King weekend, a bunch of us rent a condo in Steamboat Springs and go cross-country skiing on the pass up above town, then relax in the Strawberry Hot Springs (don't ask) afterward.

And always, one morning I make Sausage gravy and home-made buttermilk and soda biscuits (NB: they taste *nothing* like scones. I know this for a fact. Scones saved my life when I was a hungry American teenager at Oxford, but that's another story.) My friend told me my breakfast is the only reason they invite me, and I thought it was because of my scintillating conversation...

You best watch what you post, even if you are a host now. I still have Wood's GBF sword around here somewhere.....

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading the minutes of a meeting some kids in my form go to - Year Council.

Concern was expressed because a large number of girls were eating their lunch in the toilets - EEEUUUUGH

Maddie

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tomb, the waitress at the restaurant told me it was coffee grounds in the gravy. She was, as I am, a native Californian, so who knows if she knew what she was talking about. The restaurant owner/cook, however, was from Louisiana, and whatever that gravy was made of, I would walk barefoot over any number of GBF swords to taste it again ...

They had a dish on the breakfast menu that was biscuits cut in half with two fried eggs and sausage in the middle and red-eye gravy poured over the whole thing. And you could get fried catfish for breakfast, too.

I'm afraid to use those blue things in my toilet -- I always close the lid, but when I have friends over they of course don't always close the lid, and the cats love to drink out of the toilet ...

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Hmmm. Must be a cajun thing. And who knows what the California Influence did to the poor man. This might be a cook who blackens bean sprouts.

I much prefer red-eye gravy on grits. (For those who do not understand the reference, grits are hominy that has been dried then ground to the texture of coarse cornmeal. It is then prepared much as you would oatmeal or cream of wheat. Hominy, by the way, is corn that has been processed by soaking in lye. Yum!)

I've never used those blue toilet cakes. For a while, I used a preparation that dissolved the iron deposits inside the tank; unfortunately, it also dissolved the rubber seals on the toilet.

Plumbing is an invention of the devil, but I suppose it's better than the alternatives.

RuthW

# 13

Blackened bean sprouts? I think not. Perhaps wilting them the way one wilts spinach for salad. Though I'm sure if it bean sprouts could be wilted I'd have seen it on a menu by now.

I've never seen anyone put red-eye gravy on grits -- but I haven't seen very many people eat grits, period. And I wasn't about ready to order grits when there was sausage and biscuits and whatnot to be had.

I'm starting to wish my apartment smelled like a urinal cake. One of the neighborhood cats has taking to doing its business on the porch just outside my kitchen door (and just under my bedroom window). Since no door or window in the place really closes properly, either I clean up this cat's feces every day or the smell creeps into my kitchen and bedroom.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a few references to 'throneroom' and 'old faithful', and David offered 'piss eaters', so I am obliged to donate:

'driving the porcelain bus'
'talking on the big white telephone'
'kneeling to kiss the porcelain god'

none of which refer to usage of the toilet for every-day, common or garden body functions. But still.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's move on from food. What do we all READ whilst errr.....paying a visit? A quick check of our upstairs facilities shows a book of bedtime stories, 'Let's Play Together' (300 co-operative games for children and adults) and 'More than Meets the Eye', by Steve Chalke.

And why do you men ALWAYS have to go just as we're leaving the house,and running late?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

And why do you men ALWAYS have to go just as we're leaving the house,and running late?

It's a matter of principle!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Let's move on from food. What do we all READ whilst errr.....paying a visit?

When I was a teenager we had a book in our bathroom called Stories for the Here and Now.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I've seen a few references to 'throneroom' and 'old faithful', and David offered 'piss eaters', so I am obliged to donate:

'driving the porcelain bus'
'talking on the big white telephone'
'kneeling to kiss the porcelain god'

none of which refer to usage of the toilet for every-day, common or garden body functions. But still.

I'd heard slightly longer versions:
"Driving the porcelain bus to Woof City"
"Calling God on the big white telephone" ("Oh God! Oh God!")
"Worshipping at the Porcelain Shrine"

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do we read? One of my sisters got through War and Peace, Gone With the Wind, and The Brothers Karamazov (not all in the same sitting). The New Yorker must be the all-time great bathroom read, though I have been in loos that contained The Good Food Guide and Ritual Notes.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs de Point
Shipmate
# 1430

- Posted      Profile for Mrs de Point   Author's homepage   Email Mrs de Point   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have a stack of National Geographics - very educational

Now its computer or bridal magazines. Though I occasionally remember to grab a novel. Get strange looks at work when I pop out with a book though .....

Does anyone remember those crossword toilet rolls?

--------------------
Beware I am not in control of my hormones..... or my mind

Posts: 602 | From: Across the road from Calvin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Well, at least it was well watered.

I once worked as weekend supervisor in a nursing home. I really wondered for a long time why all our plantswere looking so sickly - all yellow and keeled over - until one day I caught him at it ! One of our more demented residents was routinely dumping out his urinal in our greenery !

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Right now I have Raymond Chandler stories and The Literary Cat.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016