homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never felt quite the same way about 'Colours of Day' since ot was mentioned on either Signs and Blunders or a Church Music themed thread on the very original SoF boards as a song requested at a cremation.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have thought that Blowing in the Wind might have been suitable for the post-cremation scattering.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, bad music added to misplaced modifiers always did trouble me. I remember a song from the 1960s, which lots of people seemed to love, called "Hear, O Lord."

The first verse was "Every night before I sleep, I pray my soul to take; or else I pray that loneliness is gone when I awake."

Difficult though loneliness is, I am not inclined to think one would pray to die tonight rather than be lonely tomorrow.

Now, many of you may have been spared this one, unless you were in Roman parishes c. 1965 that were desperate for music that required only four guitar chords, but, in parishes that used it, this horrid gem, which had about 16 verses (I'll quote a few if I can remember them), was greatly loved.

Refrain:
Sons of God, hear his holy word,
Gather round the table of the Lord,
Eat his body, drink his blood,
And we'll sing a song of love,
Allelu, allelu, allelu, allelu-ia.

Brothers, sisters, we are one,
And our lives have just begun,
In the Spirit, we are young,
We can live forever.
(I have my reservations about the theology here, which I shall be happy to photocopy for anyone interested.)

With the Church we celebrate,
Jesus' coming we await,
So we make a holiday,
So we'll live forever.

If we want to live with Him,
We must also die with Him,
Die to selfishness and sin,
And we'll rise forever.

I think the same composer wrote the absolute bottom of the barrel, "Shout from the Highest Mountain," and "Here We Are," the latter of which was something like this:

Refrain:
Here we are, all together
as we sing our song joyfully.
Here we are, joined together as we pray we'll always be.

Join me now as friends, and celebrate
the brotherhood we share, all as one.
Keep the fire burning, kindle it with care,
As we all join in and sing.

Freedom we do shout, for everybody,
And unless there is, we should pray,
That soon there will be one true brotherhood,
Let us all join in and sing.

Let us make the world an alleluia,
Let us make the world a better place,
Keep a smile handy, have a helping hand,
And we'll all join in and sing.

...As a serious musician, who really had hopes for the RC liturgy at the time, I often hoped that there were at least a few cases in history where lex orandi, lex credendi did not automatically apply. It was when I found that was indeed a universal truth that I embraced the C of E

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newman's Own, interesting song indeed.

Dare I say I have remembered another. For some reason it gave me images of people waving flags:

Joy is the flag flown high
in the castle of my heart
(last line * 2)
Joy is the flag flown high
in the castle of my heart
When the King is in residence there.

We were always encouraged to clap along also (I never did; and was once approached by the worship leader coming down the aisle clapping, and giving me the "C'mon, clap!" look and motion.)

If someone could give me nightmares and tell me the chorus I'd be forever in hell.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jo.
Apprentice
# 1218

- Posted      Profile for Jo.   Email Jo.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our church we sing 'why don't you put your trust in Jesus' to the tune 'match of the day.

Why don't you put your trust in Jesus,
and ask him to come in,
He saw your need from up in heaven and died to save your sin.
why don't you take him as your saviour and let him hold your hand,
he will strengthen keep you and guide you till you reach the promised land
He will strengthen keep you and guide you till you reach the promised land.

A great favourite with the older generation, who feel that they are reclaiming tunes from the devil. But everyone else cringes at the thought of it

Posts: 19 | From: Kent, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral - This is hell... so I remembered. (One needed to do a little kick dance with the chorus.)

So let it fly in the sky, let the whole world know,
Let the whole world know,
Let the whole world know.
So let it fly in the sky, let the whole world know,
That the king is in residence there.

...now, door prize to anyone old enough to remember the old Roman hymn "Little White Guest." The "flag flying high" would almost seem an improvement.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do seem to have suffered more than the rest of us on this issue, Newman. I shall pray for you.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
You do seem to have suffered more than the rest of us on this issue, Newman. I shall pray for you.

I'm quite moved, Dyfrig.

Yes, do indeed pray for me... this thread has made me nearly die laughing.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

saxineno
Shipmate
# 735

- Posted      Profile for saxineno   Email saxineno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My most hated modern song is by the wonderful Robin Mark, and I'm sure it was only written to prove he could do more dodgy symbolism than he did in "days of Elijah", it's called "house of the Lord" and it goes as follows...

There's a house on a hill and it hasn't
Been lived in for a long long time.
And the windows are all broken,
And the paint has lost its shine.
And there's nothing ever heard there,
For there's nothing ever said.
For the life of the house left a long time ago
And the heart of the house is dead.

O House of the Lord, can't you feel it
How our heart is growing cold
For when the Spirit comes He quickens
But when the Spirit leaves, life goes.

It goes on to explain the different rooms of this house. My friends tell me I'm just not looking deep enough, I just think it's stupid symbolism.

I remember an old favourite from infant school. "I have seen the golden sunshine I have watched the flowers grow, I have listened to the songbirds and there's something now I know, they were all put there for us to share by someone so devine, and if you're a friend of jesus (clap clap clap clap clap) you're a friend of mine"

Worse thing is I know I used to like this song!

Sax

Posts: 118 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Holder:
Lyra,

I suppose thinking about it the words it is not such a bad song...quite pleasant in fact.

I suppose what made it hellish was the way it was sung. People had their heads down, it was sung at a very VERY slow pace, and after singing this song (often towards the end of the service) people would often walk out without so much as a 'Hello'. Kind of grated on me that a song about serving invoked such an un-serving reaction.

Perhaps I should take that song off the Hellish list.

Extremely gracious of you, and much appreciated. There are few songs I would defend strongly, but this is sure one of them! I can, however, understand your feelings at the rendition described, and you have my full sympathy

--------------------
Around and about

terce
Shipmate
# 966

- Posted      Profile for terce   Author's homepage   Email terce   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone heard of a ditty written by Brian Wren (yes, Brian Wren!):

I'm thinking of me praising Jesus
and I'm loving the feeling I feel.
When I think of his touch,
I am feeling so much,
that tomorrow I'll praise him for real.

It's a spoof, of course--but I'll bet someone, somewhere will use it 'straight' in church!

--------------------
Visit Mustard Bush Faith Community online: www.musbush.ucaqld.com.au

Posts: 145 | From: 27 28 S, 153 02 E | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I must be in my dotage (..or merely reflecting on the sad situation of one who spends Saturday posting on an Internet message board), but two more gems popped into my mind, again from the charismatic days.

I don't know the words to this one, but it was something like, "I saw the light, I saw the light, praise the Lord, I saw the light!" It was really rather dreadful, but the melody was terribly catchy - just writing this here will ensure I hum it for two days, though the single time I heard it sung must have been a quarter of a century ago.

Also in the "dreadful but horribly catchy" category: "I Am the Bread of Life." It had many verses, but the refrain was, "And I will raise him up, and I will raise him up, and I will raise him up on the last day."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, and that 'Raise him up' one was also pitched so high that no one could sing it, so 'raise him up' sort of screeched around the church as everyone strained for the note.

Such fun !

--------------------
Around and about

Bishop Joe
Shipmate
# 527

- Posted      Profile for Bishop Joe   Email Bishop Joe       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone remember the scene in the movie "Heathers" where the girl who had been poisoned complained that in Heaven they made them sing "Kum Bay Yah" all the time?
Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have to sing Kum Ba Yah in heaven, I'm not going. As for the Raise them Up hymn, we did it as a communion hymn at a funeral recently and it stuck in my head for a couple of day. Gee, thanks, Newman!

Bene

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, and that 'Raise him up' one was also pitched so high that no one could sing it, so 'raise him up' sort of screeched around the church as everyone strained for the note.

It's only an F natural. That's within the Bass and Alto ranges (just). People just aren't trying.

I object to people making us go down to bottom A's, personally.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbell Ritchie
Shipmate
# 730

- Posted      Profile for Campbell Ritchie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with low A? And F in bass and alto registers, Karl? I beg your pardon.
D*mn tenors!
I would say stamp out tenors, only that would break at least one of the tenor commandments.

I shall have to change my sign-on name to,
"the evangelical baritone."

--------------------
The greatest problem about Christianity is that it condemns you to eternity with me.

Posts: 396 | From: Middlesbrough | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As regards "Raise them Up", the descant goes to a high A. The refrain itself doesn't. The melody line could politely be referred to as "undistinguished"; I don't know why it stays in my head like it does.

But what has to be one of the ultimate worst is that thing, called, I believe, "Alleluia", which has one of the dreariest tunes in Christendom, and the lyrics to the first verse are "Alleluia"(repeated 8 times). I think one of the other verses has the words "Jesus loves me" (repeated 8 times). And for a time I went to a church with one of the worst choirs in the Western Hemisphere, and as God is my witness, they did that appalling thing, along with "Let Us Break Bread Together on our Knees" every single Sunday for over a year.

Bene

--------------------

Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

Sorry for the double post, but I had to. As we speak, my daughter is sitting here singing the words to "Let Us Break Bread Together on our Knees" to the tune of "She'll be Coming Round the Mountain."

Bene

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ROFLMAOPIMP!

I'll never be able to sing that song again (not that I'd want to). Reminds me of the time I improvised a fantasia and toccata at the end of church on "We Will Rock You" the last time the Broncos went to the Super Bowl.

And in defense of Sr. Toolan's hymn "I am the bread of life," it doesn't have a high tessatura, it just has an impossibly wide range. You go from growlingly low to screechingly high.

Something to be said for Broad Church, I suppose.

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am trying to imagine "We will rock you" as a fantasia and toccata, tomb. Puts good Ol'JSB to shame!
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

tomb, I appeal to you; you obviously have a wide liturgical musical experience, you and your organ. Have you ever heard the Doxology done to the tune of "Hernando's Hideaway"?

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that is a blessing that has never washed over me.

Until now.

I will go to sleep humming it and dream pleasant dreams about dismembering Benedictus for suggesting it.

You obviously have a profoundly disordered imagination. Have you tried gin?

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
I am trying to imagine "We will rock you" as a fantasia and toccata, tomb. Puts good Ol'JSB to shame!

Yeah. The cathedral organist used to improvise a little ditty on the Darth Vader theme whenever the Bishop showed up. I got the idea from him. He later left the employment of the diocese, alas.

Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

What's really frightening is that I didn't make either of them up. How about a nice counter-irritant? "Jesus calls us o'er the tumult" to the tune of "Mack the Knife."

And, by the way, I am most partial to gin. You all almost have me talked into springing for a bottle of Bombay Sapphire.

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I honestly had not realised, until I read this thread (and for all of my extensive exposure to terrible music), that weird secular songs were being used for worship! Or even that some of the songs described were considered "religious" at all - had I read that "drop kick" one somewhere, I would have thought it was a (rather nasty) joke.

Of course, one must always expect the unexpected, especially in parishes which care only about "getting the people involved," regardless of whether person A has any knowledge of what he is doing. Years ago, there was a parish where I served where the substitute organist had an incredible memory for any melody she heard, and the ability to reproduce exactly what she heard (up to a symphony) on the organ. Trouble was, she did not remember where she heard the tune or what lyrics it may have.

I remember well when, during Communion one Sunday, I heard her improvising "Musetta's Waltz."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with low A - that I can sing it, but only with very low volume. Ab is the bottom of my range after lunchtime.

I've definitely seen Fs, even occasionally F#s, written for bass and alto, so there.

Singing low really wears the tenor voice out quickly.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm convinced that 95% of basses and tenor are in actual fact really 1st and 2nd baritones without a proper home

I love "I am the bread of life" though I can't remember the last time we sang it. It does squeak a bit though, as pointed out. And also if I remember rightly the words don't fit the melody so nobody knows how to fit them in.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I'm sure that very few voices exactly match the classic ranges. Mine is pretty darned high though (Ab-C, 'comfort zone' D-A) so I think I must be in your 5%; I agree about many Basses being baritones but IME anyone with the slightest difficulty at the top of the range sings bass...

This is decidedly unhellish. Go and dunk me, I mean vote me a tot, on the rant.

--------------------

LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What exactly ARE the 'classic ranges' anyway?

All I know is that the vast majority of worship songs seem to be writen for sopranos, and for an alto like me (who can't harmonise naturally) it's just too damn high!!

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

au contraire, Miss Chatterbox. Most worship songs (and hymns) are decidedly Bass/Alto in their range.

Approximately, the ranges are:

Soprano: C - Bb
(Contr)Alto: F - F
Tenor: C - Bb
Bass: D - F.

Bass is the widest because composers never seem to consider any note too low. Of course, notes do get written occasionally outside these ranges; I've seen as low as C (two octaves below middle) for Bass, E for Tenor (in an early baroque piece) and so on.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
But what has to be one of the ultimate worst is that thing, called, I believe, "Alleluia", which has one of the dreariest tunes in Christendom, and the lyrics to the first verse are "Alleluia"(repeated 8 times). I think one of the other verses has the words "Jesus loves me" (repeated 8 times).

I agree that the tune can sound dreary, but it doesn't have to. When that song is sung in a lively manner, it's quite nice.

Another hymn which can sound dreary is Alleluia, alleluia give thanks to the risen Lord. A friend of mine was in church with her ten-year-old son once, when that was played like a dirge. He learned over and said to her, "Are we singing about Jesus's death or his resurrection?"

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Let's see if we can campaign to have a treaty issued, since most of the NATO nations are represented here.

Can we all promise not to play either "Let There be Peace on Earth" (which I once heard beautifully described as sounding like roller skating music) or the old "Peace I Leave with You, My Friends" at our services now?

The Prayer of Saint Francis is all right... I'm off to write another setting for it right now.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm not crazy about the song either, I know lots of people like it. As the musical director of my company's holiday show, I've already gotten requests to perform it in December. I wouldn't have a problem with the music, but I'm sure even months from now most employees will still be too angry to like the lyrics.

The church where I play is supposed to perform "By and By" tomorrow. If you're not familiar with it, it's very happy-clappy. The music director is reviewing the words (I don't have them at home) to see if it can be performed slowly and somberly, but chances are it will just be cancelled.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
herself

Scary but true...
# 1265

- Posted      Profile for herself   Email herself   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, lads ... I think that this is probably the worst of all time - given to me on a tape by a friend (who is now denying all responsibility for it). Have never found out where this gem comes from, but you need to imagine it on a bontempi organ, with a kind of 3/4 time "folk singer with one finger in ear and one up the nose" accompaniment ......

Ch: Let us all try to be kind
While we can, while we can
If we don't start when we're young,
Chances are we will ne-----ver begin.

1: Jesus was always so kind
He brought love everywhere.
Think of that woman in Namun
SHe was near to despair.
Her only son was to die
Jesus neeeeeeded to care
Jesus said "Fret not my child.
I will sa---ve your boy.
Just because Jesus was kind
That widow's face filled with j--o---y
Filled with j----o---y!

2: Jesus was alwys so kind
He brought love ev'rywhere
Think of that poor man Jairus
He was near to despair .....

oh i can't be bothered, but you get the general idea!

AAAAAARGH!

--------------------
does being infallible mean never having to say you're sorry?

Posts: 135 | From: Crawley | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:

Can we all promise not to play either "Let There be Peace on Earth" (which I once heard beautifully described as sounding like roller skating music)

This can be dreadful, but it can also be beautiful. It was a favourite of the headmaster of my junior school. After his untimely death, it was sung beautifully by the junior school choir (I was older by this time) at his memorial service and was, in context, very moving.

Sorry to be soppy...

Rachel.

[fixed UBB code]

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Warden
Shipmate
# 1089

- Posted      Profile for Warden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jesus was always so kind
He brought love everywhere.

The rest of the words deserve a very thick veil drawn over them

But these two lines are so fatuous. Jesus wasn't always so kind. "Yes, of course, just carry on selling those doves, and changing money at exhorbitant rates"? I don't think so.

Perhaps there's room for another crappy chorus, "Jesus was always so kind When it really mattered"

Where's the gin...?

--------------------
Ut unum sint.

Posts: 90 | From: Eastbourne UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A rather wonderful example we had on Sunday, for the recessional. The chorus went

Walk with me, O my Lord
Through the darkest night and brightest day
Stay by my side, O God
Hold my hand and help me on my way

The verses were all about how sometimes we get tired and disillusioned and God gives us strength and is in us in the darkest times.

All set to a tune that sounded like it ought to come out of a circus barrel-organ. I thought the organist must be having a joke by exaggerating a tendency already present in the tune (and let`s face it, there`s no way you could have sung that tune meditatively), but when I got home and looked it up in my own music book, I realised that he`d played it *exactly as written*.

It`s obviously a problem where someone has written some lyrics, and then put a tune to them, concerned only with whether the syllables fit into place and not at all with whether the tune actually fits the sentiment behind the words.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
did anyone else have to suffer the embarassing indignities of being asked to sing 'Christian' versions of 'The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we' and 'Coke - it's the real thing!' I can't remember the words now, thank goodness, just that they were pretty naff.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Chorister, yes, indeed, I do remember the "Coke, it's the real thing" paraphrase. It was buried deep in my memory, and now you've dredged it to the surface.

How can I *ever* thank you?

I'll think of something....

tomb

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and I also remember the sunday school song to blackmail you out of your pocket money each week: to be sung as the collection plate went round:

hear the pennies dropping
listen as they fall
every one for Jesus
he shall have them all
dropping, dropping, dropping, dropping
hear the pennies fall
every one for Jesus
he shall have them all

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I once went to a service entitled 'Evening Praise' to see what it was like. They sang this song:

We're marching in the Love of God
We're marching
We're marching
We're marching
We're marching (ooooooooo-oooooooh)

We're moving in the Power of God
We're moving in the Power of God
We're moving ......

Well you get the picture!
Oh yes and the whole thing was like an aerobics class because most of the people while they were singing were moving their feet up and down as if they were marching (within the confines of an Anglican Church pew!)It maybe wasn't quite my scene, but perhaps I should have stuck at it as I could do with losing some weight ......

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

That last is an African marching song. It sounds much better in Swahili.

tomb

Campbell Ritchie
Shipmate
# 730

- Posted      Profile for Campbell Ritchie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it does sound better in Swahili. At least you don't have to sing it the way we did at our last Youth Service* at St Barnabas', where it was taken literally and we marched into the church car park. I found myself singing, "we are freezing in the wind of God," and my wife moved like greased lightning back inside as soon as the blessing was over. I didn't know she could move that fast!

Now there's a chorus experience to post in Hell!

*I could write dozens of posts about Youth Services, but only when my daughter isn't watching!

No 51. Shipmate status at last.

--------------------
The greatest problem about Christianity is that it condemns you to eternity with me.

Posts: 396 | From: Middlesbrough | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister...

Aaarrrgghh...I had forgotten that. And our "newer" version...

Swiping, swiping, swiping, swiping
(forgotten line)
Swipe your card for Jesus
He shall have them all.

As if 10 year olds have Credit Cards!!!

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I quite like that one, actually, as long as you start and finish with the Swahili verse - you need the African feel for it to work.

Siya hamb' ekukwemen kwekos if I recall correctly.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:

thought there was a nyen kwen in there?

kinda like siya humb' ekuke nyen kwenkos??????

i could be wrong, am singing it from memory now!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Shipmate
# 76

Very likely.

--------------------

LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
I quite like that one, actually, as long as you start and finish with the Swahili verse - you need the African feel for it to work.

I quite like this one too, though you do have to do the Swahili verse to made it sound more exotic. I'm in a rock-gospel choir in Edinburgh and it's one of our favourite busking songs ... but only if you have the two 'extra' verses i.e.

V1:Siya hamb' ekukwemen kwekos
V2:We are marching in the light of God
V3: See a hamster cooked in white wine sauce
v4:See a badger cooked in black bean sauce

etc etc.

See isn't it MUCH more fun now?!

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

LMC, I rather like that, and will appropriate it the next time we use it.

Speaking of African Marching Songs, there was one that came out of East Africa about 15 years ago, "We have another world in view."

I made the mistake of programing it one time when the Bishop was making a visitation, and he fell in love with the damn thing.

He took it and made it sort of the unofficial diocesan theme song for a couple of years.

I remember one year at diocesan convention when he was inflicting it on the assembled (with attribution to me, of course, damn him), and a priest walked over to me and said, "I don't think I'll ever forgive you for this."

Ah, well, win a few; lose a few.

tomb

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016