homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
these marching songs ....
I can't help thinking that we already have a precedent in the West, to encourage the Marines on route-marches. Perhaps the Christian version could go something like this .....
Cantor: 'I have a pal called Jesus Christ'
Choir/Congregation: 'He has a pal called Jesus Christ' etc, etc.

(ouch) - just been hit by tomb again

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would surely be:
"I've got a pal called Jesus Christ
He's got a pal called Jesus Christ

to begin with....but then what?

A more Calvinistic version might begin

"I've got a soul that stinks of sin
He's gotta soul that stinks of sin

Any other Marine possibilities?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess....

I once did 'Jesus loves me this I know' to this. (First four lines, followed by 'I wanna love and follow Jesus/I want Jesus as my Lord'.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still on the Christmas carols, and thinking of a popular one which absolutely reeks. Everybody stand next to the wall and get ready to bang those heads:

Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah
dah dah dah dah STEE-PHEN
dah dah dah dah EEE-VEN
dah dah dah dah CRUU-EL
dah dah dah dah FUUU---UUU---ELLLLLLL

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jo.
Apprentice
# 1218

- Posted      Profile for Jo.   Email Jo.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally someone else who knows the verse about 'Hamsters in White wine sauce'

The badger one is a new one on me.

While searching through a childrens song book, I found a marching song, I can only remember the first line -anyone heard it

Leader 'We don't believe the devils lie'
Repeat 'We don't believe the devils lie'

Posts: 19 | From: Kent, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another great one we had on Sunday [1]:

How great is our God
How great is his name
How great is our God
Forever the same

He rolled back the waters
Of the mighty Red Sea
And he said I`ll never leave you
Put your trust in me

How great..

He sent his Son Jesus
To set us all free
And he said..

How great..

He sends us his Spirit
So now we can see
And he said..

All played at a dirge-like speed (it`s meant to be a very upbeat song with a kind of bouncybouncy feel) on an out-of-tune organ. Well, I suppose it`s not their fault the organ`s out of tune (various people have said there`s no point even trying to fix it, and they should just chuck the whole thing), but they do have a piano and there`s no reason they couldn`t use it, especially when the tune is so obviously unsuitable for organ.

[1]It was a joint service. The Other Church seems to have a taste for these things.. every single service I`ve ever been to there has ended with the same hymn, which has the chorus:

And he will raise you up on eagle`s wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of his hand

Lyrically, it`s not too bad. Musically, it`s awful: the tune never seems to know where it`s going next, and there`s no cohesion to it. Except for the first two lines of the chorus, the tune for which I`m pretty sure has been nicked from something else.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
V1:Siya hamb' ekukwemen kwekos
V2:We are marching in the light of God
V3: See a hamster cooked in white wine sauce
v4:See a badger cooked in black bean sauce

ROFLOL! This is quite the funniest thing I have EVER SEEN posted on the Ship!

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had this on Sunday. Unfortunately, only verse 2.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I can bet tht the other verse were running through your mind.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flip
Apprentice
# 1477

- Posted      Profile for Flip   Author's homepage   Email Flip   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Disclaimer: newbie who has only just joined in the discussion, so apologies for any repetition...

When I saw this thread, my first thought was 'and in His presence/our problems disappear', which I discovered was thoroughly dealt with on the first page, back in June. My second thought was a line from a hymn; the exact wording I can't remember, but it speaks of Jesus going 'cheerfully' to death, or the cross, or summat.

Sticks in my throat every time.

--------------------
"I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going."

Posts: 13 | From: South of Watford | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the exclusion of all else.

--------------------
Ann

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As several especially putrid songs have repeated over the course of this thread, I think we should run some sort of contest to select the worst of those posted....

Chas, thank you for bringing up Earth and All Stars, and also for your alternate verse selections. For those who don't remember page two of this lengthy thread, the hymn lists many sound-making things in creation, ancient and modern, such as "loud-boiling test-tubes" and "loud pounding hammers" and how they "sing to the L-o-o-o-ord a new song."

Thus it is that in the choir my Dad conducts, this hymn is referred to simply as "Loud Flushing Toilets".

I slaved through this whole ghastly thread, which I had neglected, because as a church musician, I've heard so much awfulness that can barely be believed perpetrated in the name of "music" and find myself entirely overcome, now that I have surveyed yet again the apparently unplumbable depths out there. The pain is intense.

Nonethless, I will add a couple I remember that have not (staggeringly) been mentioned yet.

At a summer church camp, we once learned a little ditty bastardized from Sound of Music's "Do(e), a deer" that went as follows:

Doyou know the Saviour died?
raised again in three short days?
Me, the one for whom he died,
Far away he took my sins.
So I'll love him ever more!
Love I never knew before!
T, that stands for Calvary!
That means Je-sus died for Me!

Oh, the horror. The horror.

And there was some awfulness that had as the chorus:

Je-sus, O Je-sus, come and fill your lambs!

Which I thought as a child made no sense and was, also, creepy.

Finally, an anecdote. My sister and I (circa ages 8 and 11, respectively) once attended services at a relative's very happy-clappy Baptist church. We were raised middle to high ECUSA, so this was pretty "out there" for us. When the band started in the balcony, my sister looked at my mother, horrified, and said, "What is this? 'Hooked on Jesus'?" (Those who remember the excremental early-eighties Hooked on Classics and associated albums which took sixteen bars of great pieces and put them to a steady rock beat will know what she was referring to).

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another chorus which I had forgotten about until the Doh a deer one reminded me: all about being 'born-again':

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Take Jesus as your saviour
And then you'll have two.

(So the Queen doesn't have the monopoly on this then ....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Take Jesus as your saviour
And then you'll have two.

Two saviors? Two birthdays? Two cookies? What are they talking about?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

At a summer church camp, we once learned a little ditty bastardized from Sound of Music's "Do(e), a deer" that went as follows:

Doyou know the Saviour died?
raised again in three short days?
Me, the one for whom he died,
Far away he took my sins.
So I'll love him ever more!
Love I never knew before!
T, that stands for Calvary!
That means Je-sus died for Me!

Laura, you have cheered me up no end in the middle of a long day at work. Thank you.

(my co-workers now think I'm a total loony, as I'm sat giggling into my PC, but who cares?!)

K

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Oriel - though I cannot say I've ever heard it in churches which I regularly attend, I have found that the tiresome "On Eagle's Wings," apparently the current favourite in many parishes, has been worn to a frazzle during perhaps the past ten years.

A few years ago, a religious Internet site (cannot recall the name now) conducted a poll of "favourite Catholic hymns." I was amazed that "On Eagle's Wings" won by a "landslide."

When it comes to trendy, totally "un-singable" tunes, there was one, popular mainly amongst those who worked with either little children or the aged, which I believe was called "You Want to Pass it On." Since this is the sort of tune (any lyric) one desperately longs to forget, I may be off track a bit, but I recall it's being something like:

It only take a spark
To get a fire going
And soon all those around
Are warmed up with its glowing
That's how it is with God's Love
Once you've experienced it
You want to sing,
It's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

The tune was weird and difficult enough, but that it tended to be introduced for congregational singing, at such gatherings as would be held either in nursing homes or those related to primary school children, made it all the worse.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, Laura...."T stands for Calvary?"

Is this in the Gospel according to Aldous Huxley or something?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Newman, you beat me to it. I thought of posting "Pass it On" the other day, then forgot to do so.

"Pass it On" was originally part of a "Christian Musical," as I recall.

In the same genre was a song called, "He's Everything To Me." It began, "In the stars his handiwork I see," but rapidly degenerated after that. I.will.not.think.of.any.more.of.it.

NB: there's a second verse to "Pass it On," but we shall pass over it, in testimony to the infinite mercy of God.

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Dyfrig, think of the sans serif small t. Get it? It's such appalling dreck, anyway. Can you imagine the folks that came up with it? Were they sitting around saying, "let's adapt a catchy tune from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical."?

quote:
You want to sing,
It's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

Sounds like a soap commercial. Or one for "feminine products".

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Oh, Newman, you beat me to it. I thought of posting "Pass it On" the other day, then forgot to do so.

"Pass it On" was originally part of a "Christian Musical," as I recall.

Please excuse my ignorance, tomb, but what is a "Christian Musical"? (This so I can avoid anything related to it in the future...)

Musician that I was, I cannot resist adding two general "crappy choruses" general categories. I loathe when Latin (or other foreign language) hymns are "translated" into words that bear no resemblance to the original, but are merely English words cramped into the tune.

As well, when there are modern hymns, composed perhaps by monks or nuns, which were intended specifically as adaptations of texts proper to a particular liturgy, their adaptation for "general use" (copied from a CD, perhaps) often has strange results.

Some years ago, I recall a Benedictine abbey's having released records of (actually rather pleasant) songs, which specifically were adaptations of Collects or other liturgical elements related to particular dates on the calendar. Unfortunately, the adaptation of the reading from Hosea ("Long have I waited for your coming home to me..") set me into fits of giggling when I heard it at every 1970s wedding; "Wherever You Go I Shall Go" I heard used for everything from weddings to graduation ceremonies (sycophantic teachers would have the class "dedicate it to their parents" - I hope it wasn't true) with no memory of Ruth or Naomi; and one song about the Virgin Mary, which was originally intended for the Feast of Guadalupe (when Juan Diego is said to have seen the vision of Mary reproduced on his cape), with the words "Just as Lovely as Before," seemed bizarre out of context.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL.

In re: Latin hymns, my favorite is the translation of the Ave Maria (usually Schubert, but I've seen it done to Bach/Gounod as well) that turns it into an "Our Father"--presumably so it can be sung in translation at Protestant weddings and not offend prod sensibilities.

As to the Ruth passage, what a hoot! And this was about the time, I suppose, that married women were being counseled to swath themselves in Saran Wrap and great their husbands at the door when the came home as a way of spicing up the marriage. If my wife ever did anything like that, I'd probably have nightmares and end up impotent. She's more sensible than that, thank God.

Regarding Christian musicals, probably the only thing you need to know is that they are not musical and tend to be silly and allegorical. I haven't heard of one being performed in decades, so you're probably safe.

tomb

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
LOL.
And this was about the time, I suppose, that married women were being counseled to swath themselves in Saran Wrap and greet their husbands at the door when the came home as a way of spicing up the marriage. If my wife ever did anything like that, I'd probably have nightmares and end up impotent. She's more sensible than that, thank God.
tomb

ROTFL - but I'm way too innocent to have thought of things like plastic wrap... I only meant that they seemed to ignore that Hosea's wife (even apart from being Israel...) is a prostitute... Years ago, I once heard the same song done for a penance service - and, while it actually is appropriate on one level, I doubt anyone caught why that was so.
This was the era when penance services emphasised that no one ever sinned.

In about 1980 (I was still an RC nun), I remember a highly creative "penance service," for little children who were making first confession. I recall the church was rather large, and that the priests were seated in the rooms beside the spot where the altar was. Of course, the nuns were terrified that a child making first confession might feel guilt or something, so this was a song-fest.. of the worst. The kids had to bring their families (this was a big time for making everything a family event..), sitting with them in the pews, and singing all sorts of things like, "And we're so happy! So very happy! We've got the love of Jesus in our hearts!" - guitars, tambourines, all sort of beyond happy clappy songs. Each kid, in turn, went up the aisle to make first confession, with all this noise all around, then return to hug and kiss the family members (reconciliation, I suppose... no, this crowd was too dense to even think of that one...)

I still remember, with that horrible, loud music and this false festival atmosphere, that this happy occasion was a penance that I would not wish on Jack the Ripper... I still am trembling, remembering how it upset me.

Then again, I always thought the most unwittingly honest statement in church music history, albeit one set to a dreadful tune, was the 1960s "Take Our Bread" (at a time when, in some slang, "bread" meant money)... especially during Offertory...

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just remembered a couple of great biblical ones:

First off

I will sing unto the Lord
For he has triumphed gloriously
The horse and the rider he has thrown into the sea

Fabulous - and it is solid biblically based so can't go wrong.

Second:

Pierce my ear oh Lord my God
Take me to your throne this day
I will have no other Lord
A free man I'll never be.

Those both made sense. Not.

But boy it was hours of mirth as we had to sing them at youth choir and then, joy of joys, sing them to the church.

Happpy days.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Beenster, you're making that up!

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It only take a spark
To get a fire going
You want to sing,
It's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

(Voice-over): Bioterrorism. Because God said so.

Has anyone else heard this one sung to the tune of "Tsena, Tsena"? "IwillsinguntotheLord
forhehastriumphedgloriouslythehorseandrider
thrownintothesea."

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Exodus 15:20-21
"Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tambourines and dancing. Miriam sang to them: "Sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea."

quote:

Take me to your throne this day
I will have no other Lord
A free man I'll never be.

Exodus 21:5-6
"But if the servant declares, `I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,' then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life."

A little bit of context make a big difference.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Oh, I'm familiar with the scriptural quotation. I just can't believe any damnfool would actually write a song about it.

Perhaps Thomas Merton was right, that becoming religious brings on a sort of brain rot.

tomb

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a gripe about the failure of some organists to play a melody line so that the congregation has a much better chance of singing on-key.

For years I belonged to a church where the organist was recognized as a very good instrumentalist and choir director, but he wouldn't give the congregation a break.

I used to attend the 8:15 AM service where there was no choir. At that hour, people who would have needed no help staying in tune later in the day did need help.

On the first stanzas of the hymns, he gave a melody line, but not as strong as it could have been. On the next to the last stanza, he played a harmony with no melody line at all.

One Sunday the one of the lessons had a sentence to the effect that the shepherds were gone and the sheep were scattered. As I listened people groping for the tune while the organist played his harmony, it suddenly struck me, "The sheep are scattered."

It never dawned on this talented musician that he should help the congregation sing.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bb - you are right the context does make a difference. But the songs were written and sung without such context making it more or less random words set to a dismal tune! Completely confusing for everyone - which basically added to the hillarity.

Thanks for the refs tho. You get a bible point!

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the posts on this one seem to have been about over-gooey sentiments, or weird imagery. However one of my most hated is entirely direct and unembroidered:

These are the facts as we have received them
These are the truths that the Christian believes
This is the basis of all of our preaching
Christ died for sinners and rose from the grave.

Combined with a chirpy tune that has you singing 'Christ died for sinners' with an inane grin, this has much the same effect on me as singing 'Prices at Tesco are down once again' (which also fits the tune). Who ever thought 'These are the facts' would be a good verse to set to music? (CHris Idle on an off day, I think). Will we next be singing 'Bring me the cloak that I left at Troas, also the books and especially the scrolls'? (come to think of it, that fits too...)

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I... It never dawned on this talented musician that he should help the congregation sing.

Moo

Then he wasn't a musician, let along a talented one.

tomb

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Newman's Own:

It only take a spark
To get a fire going
You want to sing,
It's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

The tune was weird and difficult enough, but that it tended to be introduced for congregational singing, at such gatherings as would be held either in nursing homes or those related to primary school children, made it all the worse.

Oh, but we sung it at our young-adult worship service too. I could never get the "experienced" word right: thou it seemed no-one else could either. You were trotting merrily along, and then needed to say "exprnced" or something similar in two syllables.

While more of a kid's song, and a quote from a Psalm I believe, the fact we sung this in church and that actions were deemed necessary make this one a candidate:

From the rising of the sun
(Wave hands from your right-hand side to above your head in air and make "ch-ch-ch" noise)
To the going down of the same
(Complete the semi-circle of hands to your left)
The Lord's name
(Point upwards)
Is to be praised.
(Dance, flip, whatever!)

Finally, I always thought, as an un-trained singer, that the "Alleluia" in "Angels We Have Heard On High" stretched my breath capacity to its limits. (BTW: what is the proper pronounciation for "excelsis": hard or soft 'c'? I had disagreements with the choir. ) That was until I heard and was forced to sing the otherwise passable "We believe". Anyone else remember the lung capacity one needed to belt out in one breath:

Jesus, Lord of all, Lord of all.
Name above all names; Name above all names

Admiral H.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that should be the "Gloria" in "Angels We Have Heard On High".

Mental note: do not post at 1am after downing port.

Admiral H.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ultimate stretching of breath-capacity comes in "Ding dong merrily on high". That has a Gloria that goes on and on and on and on.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Though I have little taste for the crude, this thread reminded me of a little parody I heard some years back that merits quotation... just this once.

A few of the friars I knew had attended some sort of ecumenical service where they heard a song they thought the absolute worst: "There is power, power, wonder working power in the precious blood of the Lamb." They parodied this tune with, "There were five, five constipated men in the bible, in the bible. There were five, five constipated men in the B-I-B-L-E."

In between, they chanted:

Hearken ye, the first constipated man in the Bible was Cain. He was not Abel.

Hearken ye, the second constipated man in the Bible was Moses. He took two tablets.

Hearken ye, the third constipated man in the Bible was Solomon. He sat for forty years.

I cannot recall the last two characters... but you get the picture.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We sang "From the Rising of the Sun" in Korean at Church last week (actions and all). when I asked why, I was told "because its harvest"!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Five Constipated Men! I learned about them in Sunday School, in the 4th grade, from Mr. Weinblatt. There was a tune too, but I shan't attempt to reproduce it here.
"There were 5 constipated men in the Bible, in the Bible, 5 constipated men.

The first was Cain...he wasn't Abel

The second was Solomon...he sat for forty years

The third was Moses...he took two tablets

The fourth was Samson...he brought the house down

The fifth was Balaam....he couldn't move his ass

There were five constipated men in the Bible....etc.

I've heard "Methuselah" for "Solomon", and you notice they're not in any sort of order, except that you have to finish with Balaam.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to know about hymns and constipation, try singing verse 4 (or is it 5?) of 'Dear Lord and Father of mankind':

'Take from our souls the strain and stress'
[think about it...]

There, I've ruined that lovely hymn for you now, and I'll probably get an administrator down on me like a ton of bricks!

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Latin lesson]

Excelsis

Point of dispute.

The Romans would have said 'Ex-kehl-seess' - and no 'z' sounds for either s.

However, ecclesiastical Latin is pronounced as if it were Italian. Therefore, it is 'Ex-chehl-sees' - the English short 'i' is never used; it should be the vowel in 'see' but shorter, and the 'e' should be given its full value.

[/Latin lesson]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

We had this one yesterday:

Glory, glory in the highest;
Glory, to the Almighty;
Glory to the Lamb of God,
And glory to the living Word;
Glory to the Lamb!

repeat

I give glory, (glory)
Glory, (glory)
Glory, glory to the Lamb!
I give glory, (glory)
Glory, (glory)
Glory, glory to the Lamb!
I give glory to the Lamb!

repeat all.

by the time you're half way through the second time around, the word 'glory' doesn't mean anything and the look of it is weird too.

--------------------
Ann

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ann, I think this one really only sounds right with an American West coast accent. I actually quite like it, even when we've done it in a very proper English accent (takes all sorts I know).
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

This thread is becoming addictive. Last night, in bed, I thought of one of the worst songs I'd ever heard, both in theological content and tune. (The tune, which covered the range from perhaps mi to sol, sounded vaguely Irish.) I never heard this anywhere but once, with kids of fourteen or so, and don't know whether it is a "real hymn" or one a teacher made up.

Spirit of God in the clear running water,
Growing to greatness the trees on the hill.
Spirit of God in the finger of morning,

Refrain:
Fill the earth, bring it to birth, and
blow where you will.
Blow, blow, blow till I be,
But breath of the spirit blowing in me.

Down in the meadow the willows are moaning,
Sheep in the pasture land cannot lie still,
Spirit of God, creation is groaning..
Refrain

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhyming 'moaning' and 'groaning' is in itself worthy of death. Or at least being beaten around the head with a dictionary.

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
[Latin lesson]

Excelsis

Point of dispute.

The Romans would have said 'Ex-kehl-seess' - and no 'z' sounds for either s.

However, ecclesiastical Latin is pronounced as if it were Italian. Therefore, it is 'Ex-chehl-sees' - the English short 'i' is never used; it should be the vowel in 'see' but shorter, and the 'e' should be given its full value.

[/Latin lesson]

And to get this sound from a choir, you have to have each person singing "egg shells sis". I kid you not - only that way does the overall effect sound proper.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

It is one of my bugbears that the Bach Society of which I am a member, despite repeated corrections by the conducter still sings 'sanctus' with an English A (as in Southern English 'cat') and 'in' as if it were the English 'in'.

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memories prompted by the current downpour...

Have you heard the raindrops drumming on the rooftops,
Have you heard the raindrops {something} on the ground,
Have you heard the raindrops {something something something}
And running to the rivers all around.

It's water, water of life,
Jesus gives us the water of life
(x2)

In my adult maturity, the chorus just makes me think of whisky. However, as a child we sang for (and yes, it scans):

It's Rupert, Rupert the Bear,
We're all fans of Rupert the Bear.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
It is one of my bugbears that the Bach Society of which I am a member, despite repeated corrections by the conducter still sings 'sanctus' with an English A (as in Southern English 'cat') and 'in' as if it were the English 'in'.

And it doesn't matter how fine the choir for the latter problem. I sang the Me Minor Bass with a distinguished symphonic chorus last year, practically all of whom had done the piece repeatedly, and the thing most likely to get us yelled at was the "in" issue. Or singing long-o sounds in words like "Hose-anna" or "Doe-minus" rather than the proper short o - "Awsanna" and "Dawminus" for the correct pronunciation.

The egg-shell-sis does remain the best solution to the excelsis problem. It's interesting how many choral tricks there are that done by one person sound obviously wrong or stupid, but done by 200 sound just perfect.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, I guess I had better hurry off the the Confessions thread!
Let's see: "in" for "in" I probably do all the time; the long-o in Dominus I once knew better than to do, but just realized I have slipped back into it. But I need to know how South Englanders say "cat" before I can confess about Sanctus!
Unfortunately, proper Latin isn't a highly esteemed skill in small town New England.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to hear more about Roman pronunciation of Latin (I have a recording of Machaut's Messe de Notre Dame (sp?) deliberately done with a French accent under the premise that that was how the 14th-Century French pronounced Latin).

This is also the first I've ever heard of Dominus, etc. pronounced with an "aw" sound instead of a long "o."

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Laura and Karl,

If you think that's bad, you should hear how Okies and Texans pronounce "dominus." It's not uncommon to stretch the "o" to a three-syllable diphthong.

A while back, I came across a recording of the Oklahoma All-State choir that I sang in while in High School. With a sense of anticipation, I played the Durufle "Ubi Caritas." It had been my first exposure to that sublime piece, and to this day it never fails to conjure wonderful memories.

I turned it off after hearing the first line. It is unimaginable what a bunch of Oklahoma teenagers can do to the vowels in the line "Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est." Better we should all have been drowned as infants.

tomb

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016