homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a teenager, we had a song where the chorus included the lines

I cannot come to the banquet, don't bother me now
I have married a wife, I have bought me a cow

That in itself caused great hilarity, but the final line caused the greates guffaw -

Pray hold me excused, I cannot come

Imagine a bunch of teenagers singing that and expecting them to take it seriously! The song ended up getting banned by the youth group leader.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to sing that too, but it quickly became

'I have bought me a wife, I have married a cow'.

Apart from anything else, it seemed to scan better like that. It was also much improved by being accompanied on the ukelele in a George Formby stylee.

On the subject of double entendres, does anyone else sing that song to the tune of 'John Brown's body' that has the line

'He has raised our fallen manhood and enthroned it in the heights'?

I'm always amazed that anyone sings it without smirking - maybe my heart needs purifying?

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing I hate about 'Over the mountains and the sea' is the line 'I will daily lift my hands'.

Sorry, but I just don't have the hand-lifting temperament - it extends to other areas as well as worship BTW eg family relationships - the feelings run deep but we tend to be undemonstrative. So I feel like a hypocrite when singing about something I would never practise.

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

- Posted      Profile for Phil R.   Email Phil R.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this one on TV, and couldn't believe it was meant ot be a Christian program.

SO I tracked the words down on the web, and it's made me rethink my entire theology. I though He was going to return on a cloud or summut, but it seems not.. And as for "salvation by grace" it's more "salvation by lamp and oil"

Do they get any worse than this? I doubt it.

Posts: 216 | From: Sussex, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

- Posted      Profile for Phil R.   Email Phil R.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<forgot to paste>

Oh, one of these days around twelve o'clock
The whole wide world will reel and rock
The sinner will tremble and cry for pain
And the Lord will come in his aeroplane

Oh, you thirsty of every tribe
Get your ticket for an aeroplane ride
Jesus our Saviour is coming to reign
And take you to glory in his aeroplane

Oh, talk of rides in automobiles
Talk of fast times in motor wheels
We'll break all records as we upwards fly
For an aeroplane joy ride in the sky

You must get ready if you take this ride
Leave all your sins and humble your pride
Furnish a lamp both bright and clean
And a vessel of oil to run the machine

When our journey's over and we all sit down
At the marriage supper with a robe and crown
We'll blend our voices with a heavenly throng
And praise our Saviour as the years roll on

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What a friend I've found
Closer than a brother
I have felt your touch
More intimate than lovers
Jesus, Jesus, friend forever

What a hope I've found
More faithful than a mother
It would break my heart
To ever lose each other
Jesus, Jesus etc

Hope this works am using UBB code for the first time ever!

I really like that song although I admit that when sung by a woman it sounds extremelyperverted! Oh the shame! Am pondering other horrid hymns that I like - I have a soft spot for Lord of the Dance.

I'll get my coat.
Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LouiseF
Shipmate
# 361

- Posted      Profile for LouiseF   Email LouiseF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh this has made me giggle so much....

My personal hitlist consists of just one at the moment! A modern-ish one... Brian Doerksen.

When I first sang this at a youth event - my youth group refused to join in. It is daft.
Complete BLEUGH making theology.

"More than oxygen, I need your love;
More than life-giving food
The hungry dream of.
More than an eloquent word
Depends on the tongue
More than a passionate song
Needs to be sung.

More than a word could ever say
More than a song could ever convey
I need you more than all of these things
Father, I need yo more.

More than magnet and steel
are drawn to unite
more than poets love words
to rhyme as they write
more than comforting warmth
of sun in spring
more than the eagle loves wind
under its wings

More htan a blazing fire
on a winter's night
more than tall ever greens
reach for the light
more than the pounding waves
long for the shore
more than these gifts you give
I love you more.

The author should try living without oxygen, adn perhaps that would cause some inspirations and hallucinations to provide better hymnody! Absolute rubbish!

--------------------
"History will not be so kind to our generation of Christians if we allow the false consciousness of mainstream living to go unchallenged." (Ann Morisy)

Posts: 94 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:

Chorus : So let the sun shine in/ face it with a grin/smile is never lose/and frown is never win/ so let the sunshine in/face it with a grin/ open up your heart and let the su-uuun shii-ine ii-ii-ii-in!

I LOVE this song!!! In fact, I've got two different recordings of it from *cough* Napster *cough*... one credited to Pebbles & BamBam (from the Flintstones--there was an episode Fred dreamed the kids became rock stars).

Now, that sunbeam song mentioned earlier, ugh! Ranks down there with:

Jesus loves the little chil-dren
All the children of the world
Red and yellow black and white
they are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

The only redeeming quality it has is that it is easily parodied:

Cthulhu loves the little chil-dren
all the children he can catch
Broiled blackened poached or mashed
they are tastiest when deep fried
Cthulhu loves the little children of the world.

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horrible children's songs.. oh dear.. so many scars!

How about:

Somewhere in outer space
God has prepared a place
For those who trust him and obey-hey!
Jesus will come again
And though we don't know when
the countdown's getting lower every day.
10 and 9, 8 and 7, 6 and 5 and 4
call upon the Savior while you may!
3 and 2
coming through
the clouds in bright array
the countdowns getting lower every day!

As I recall, that one had visual aids of some sort with it.
As for the Infantry/cavalry song mentioned earlier in this thread, we sang it as "I may never...". It also had motions/actions to it. *shudder*

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sieg, that is truly awful. heaven being somewhere in outer space???? oh dear.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fadethecat
Apprentice
# 446

- Posted      Profile for fadethecat   Email fadethecat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being slow on the uptake, I have only just realized that this supposedly horrid song "Lord of the Dance" that everyone's been talking about is not the Steven Curtis Chapman version of which I was always rather fond.
Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dreadful children's songs.....?

How about....

I'm a jumper for the Lord
and a sweater for my God
cos I love to jump and sweat
and dance and sing (yee har!)
I'm a jumper for the Lord
and a sweater for my God
and I'm clothed in robes
of righteousness as well.

Chorus (last line particularly dear to my heart!)
I'm enthusiastic for my God
and that's the way to be
God has filled my life with joy
I'll praise him and be free
Jesus is my special friend
He means so much to me
I know that I will never be
a Christian misery.

--------------------
Around and about

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my, I can't even begin to match the squalid lyrics already posted.
But if I may introduce a slight aside, what about mis-use of hymns. After ten years of singing funerals, I'm still trying to figure out why "How Great Thou Art" is a standard funeral hymn, especially in American Catholic churches where you rarely sing more than a couple of verses, so you don't even get to the "Jesus died for my sins" verse. I always feel so stupid warbling about "the rolling thunder" and birds singing sweetly and gurgling streams and whatnot as part of a funeral mass.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am interested to note we now have a time of day for the Last Judgement!

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about actions? On a kids' camp I help with we sing:
"The name of the Lord is a strong tower
I will run in to it and be saved"
then everyone lifts their hands in the air, shakes them from side to side, and shouts, "Wooooo!" (don't know why). Makes me feel like I'm in a scene from Benny Hill.....

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The sinner will tremble and cry for pain
And the Lord will come in his aeroplane

No, sorry, this has to be forgiven and released from hell coz it was used - sung by some wizened old woman - as the introduction to the awesome Joan Osborne's One Of Us.

quote:
Jenny said: Two that really get me:
"Still the greatest treasure remains for those who gladly choose you now" - always feels so "nur nur-nur nur nur, we get treasure" to me that I can't bear to sing it.

Well yes, I suppose so (though how many others can we think of with the smae attitude?).
But I've alway thought it's remarkable for being the only song of the kind ever to hint at the possibility of universalism. It suggest that while Christians will get the pick of the gold dubloons everyone will their share of treasure in the end.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Makes me feel like I'm in a scene from Benny Hill.....

The bit that makes me cringe in the actions for this song is the bit for 'running into it' (the strong tower). People pretending to 'run' by moving their bent arms backwards and forwards while standing still is pure sooooooooooooooooooooo embarassing.

--------------------
i-church

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Picking up on something the horned and goateed one Tomb said, and everyone ignored...

This is all rather easy, isn't it? Slagging off worship songs because you don't like the music or because of their glib truisms and mixed meataphors.
But what's the alternative? Are there some great songs out there too that we should sing instead? If there are, I think everyone who's laid into the rubbish ones on this thread should be forced to name at least one song they love - or stand accused of being cowardly egg-throwers and made to walk round the block in their underwear.

Or if there aren't, what does that show us? That writing meaningful worship lyrics to good music is for more difficult than we give it credit for?
Or simply that to be honest we don't like worship very much?

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
I think everyone who's laid into the rubbish ones on this thread should be forced to name at least one song they love - or stand accused of being cowardly egg-throwers and made to walk round the block in their underwear.

Sorry, mate, you're in Hell.

If you want to be reasonable and balanced **** off to Heaven.

And take the songs you lerrve with you

--------------------
i-church

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

Too heavenly for you? OK how about this?

Slagging off what cannot be done better - least of all by yourohsotalentedself - is not, I regret to inform you, the mark of a person of class and taste above the common herd.
It's the rather embarrassing behaviour of those who try to compensate for their own inadequacies by trying to look down on what is above them.

Am I getting the hang of it yet?

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how about that hymn with the line about "a fountain filled with blood"? ok i understand the symbolism, but think about the image... ugh. flies. clots. more worthy of hell than heaven.

plus a personal note... i have a mentally handicapped brother. he's autistic, and quite incapable of understanding symbolism. my mothers church did that hymn once when he was there and he was quite impressed, to say the least. so much so that my poor mothers never heard the end of it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arietty:
I am interested to note we now have a time of day for the Last Judgement!

What time zone?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

Whatever time zone cowboys hang out in I presume!

--------------------
i-church

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about songs in two parts, specifically those which have men singing a line, then women
  1. repeating the line,
  2. echoing part of the line,
  3. agreeing with the men

(as if we couldn't think for ourselves.)

Unfortunately, they sound good with the different registers of voices.

Does this mean

• I'm (subconsciously) conditioned to accept the authority/agreement
  • I shouldn't like this music on principle
  • null
  • I'm losing the thread of this arguement

Older hymns sung in parts don't seem to have this dichotomy.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a hymn tune in the 1940 hymnal which was, I think, the worst ever. The accompanist's part was even worse than what was sung.

The words began, "For thee, O dear, dear country, Mine eyes their vigil keep."

There is a chord in there which musicians can't believe the first time they play it. They hit the chord, then say, "No, that can't be right." They carefully check each note in the music and make sure that each finger is in the right place. Then they play the chord again, and say in an incredulous tone, "That is right."

This atrocity was perpetrated by T. Tertius Noble, who gave us many such fine effusions.
I think this was his best effort, though.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What a friend I've found
Closer than a brother
I have felt your touch
More intimate than lovers
Jesus, Jesus, friend forever

What a hope I've found
More faithful than a mother
It would break my heart
To ever lose each other
Jesus, Jesus etc

When I was a youthworker (shudders) a few years a go we recorded a video to this song.
We changed the name of Jesus to Jesse, and had a video of "Jesse the Dog" running to its owner through a rose coloured lens.... It fitted so perfectly!

We also ruined the song for a generation of young people, not that it needed us to ruin it!

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church musicians hate "Jesus Is Coming Again," the music for which sounds more appropriate for a skating rink.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

I thought I couldn't surpase Jesus and his Beoing, but I have done.

My Much beloved Mother-inLaw has an old, old, hymnbook with lyrics along the lines of:

Little brown children, over the ocean, wait for us to tell them of love...
Do not worry, little brown children, nice, anglo-saxon protestant middle classed professionals are coming to put you right.

Can't remember the exact lyrics, will check next time I visit (But the "Do not worry little brown children" is a quote...)

faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

- Posted      Profile for faintsaint   Email faintsaint   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nomination:

I walk by faith
Each step by faith
To live by faith
I put my trust in you

Every step I take
Is a step of faith
No weapon formed against me
Shall prosper

And very prayer I make
Is a prayer of faith
And if my God is for me
Tell me who can be against me

I hate it for its tune, its brainless triumphalism and the fact that it can be accompanied by an horrendous "strutting" dance - mincing, more like. O, and it goes on for ****ing hours too.

fs
*going for a lie down*

--------------------
*iancognito*

Posts: 144 | From: Oop North Down Under | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

- Posted      Profile for faintsaint   Email faintsaint   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...but on a more positive (alebeit tangential) note... Searching for the lyrics led me to this wonderful website:

Making sandals as they are often made in Third World countries today can enhance our experience of our neighbors as well as of life in Jesus' times.

Like a home-made Gadget for God. Sort of.

fs

--------------------
*iancognito*

Posts: 144 | From: Oop North Down Under | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DMcV
Shipmate
# 545

- Posted      Profile for DMcV   Email DMcV   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Let God Arise and let his enemies be scattered...'

I accept that Scripture likens God's activity to a battle, but when you use such images, should we not try to avoid tunes like this, a hideous cross between 'Yes We Have No Bananas' and mid-70s Eurovision?

That ungrammatical line in another chorus that runs, 'It was for freedom that Christ has set us free...'

Anything by Graham 'Christian Phil Collins' Kendrick. Heck, someone tell the guy you won't go to hell just for using a simile other than 'like rivers' for something that flows...

--------------------
You can have whatever you want/But are you disciplined enough to be free?

Posts: 169 | From: Above and to the right of Glasgow | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

I visited a church in Coventry where a (rather drunk) keyboard player managed to slip from "Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered" into the theme tune to "All creatures great and small" and back.

Most people kept singing valiantly; which is all you can do with this one.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Any hymn which is actually new lyrics set to a popular song!

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Any hymn which is actually new lyrics set to a popular song!

That's everything by a Wesley gone to Hell again.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pikachu
Shipmate
# 170

- Posted      Profile for Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I like "The First Noel", but it is simply Biblically incorrect!!!
The first verse talks about the shepherds, right? OK. The second verse says, "They looked (oh wait, that's 'look---ed') up and saw a star..." WRONG!
It was the wise men who saw the star, not the shepherds.
Merry Christmas in June, y'all.

--------------------
I know Jesus has a sense of humor, He made my cockatoo.

Posts: 53 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

Well what about 'In the Bleak Midwinter'?

Snow was falling, snow on snow
Snow o-on snow
In the bleak midwinter
Lo-o-ong ago

Doesn't scan at all and is just a tad ethnocentric in setting the nativity in depths of the the English winter.

Happens to be one of my favourite carols but that doesn't make it right!

--------------------
i-church

gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

- Posted      Profile for gbuchanan   Email gbuchanan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just come back from New Zealand, and a lot of their "contemporary worship" songs are from Australia. I have to say they make the worst sort of UK praise songs look brilliant - bar. One; the Jesus chorus, which goes (and I kid you not):
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

...oh dear.

Going back to Graham Kendrick, a few friends and I wrote new lyrics to a GK song (which I can remember every note of, but not a jot of the lyrics) which went:

Anyone can write a Graham Kendrick song,
Anyone can write a Graham Kendrick song,
You just make the words up as you go along,
Anyone can write a Graham Kendrick song.

Graham leaves out all the crucial beats,
Graham leaves out all the crucial beats,
Just to give you time to clap and stamp your feet,
Graham leaves out all the crucial beats.

Take a verse from psalms or a minor prophet,
Even if noone knows quite which bit,

etc.; these are a few sample verses - but you get the idea.

This was once played at a large Christian festival with a somewhat bemused pianist accompanying - a certain Mr. Kendrick. Oh dear, how embarrassing (for the ex-Yorkites if not for Graham).

Posts: 683 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
take your favourite verse and sing it, once again,
take your favoutite verse and sing it, once again
repeat it till your sick, and then sing it soft
take your favourite verse and sing it, once again.

It's been done by hundreds of people....

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is that the Jesus chorus that goes

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus .... Jesus (repeat 3 times)

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also do it with "Seek Ye First" (of which I am still very fond). Back when I was teenager I found that Revaltion 3.16 works very nicely:
Because you are not not cold
Bu-u-ut lukewarm
I will spew you out of my mouth
Allelu, Alleluia

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DavidG
Shipmate
# 121

- Posted      Profile for DavidG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To really get the full effect of this fantastic verse from the old Methodist Hymn Book, just try to picture the scene before your eyes - the more vivid your imagination, the more sick you'll feel.

By the light of burning martyrs,
Christ, Thy bleeding feet we track
Toiling up new Calvaries ever
With the Cross that turns not back.

Wonderful stuff, I'm sure you'll agree - why it didn't make it into the new book, I can't imagine.

Back to everyone's favourite 'Bind us together', I know one youth group that had to be banned from singing it - they were rather too keen on the idea of bondage in church.

And why was "I vow to thee my country ever regarded as a hymn?

Cheers

DavidG

Posts: 88 | From: Warwickshire , UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DMcV
Shipmate
# 545

- Posted      Profile for DMcV   Email DMcV   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turn, turn, turn or burn!

Thus Saith the Lord.

Actually a spoof a few of us made up during an idle moment at an SU Camp years ago, but there are still places it would go down a storm, I'm sure.

--------------------
You can have whatever you want/But are you disciplined enough to be free?

Posts: 169 | From: Above and to the right of Glasgow | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at school a friend and I used to mess about on the gym piano in wet lunch hours. Somewhere we found a very old Hymns A&M and worked our way though it - our favourite was in the section labelled For the Young:

Within the churchyard side by side
Lie many narrow graves
And some have stones set over them
On some the green grass waves...

They don't write them like that any more.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by David:
That's everything by a Wesley gone to Hell again.

Sorry.. to clarify--Popular as in NOW popular (for example, as listed on that website, the one who's URL I can't remember now... )

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

speaking of spoofs, theres the famous:

i can go as fast as i please as
long as i have my plastic jesus
sittin' up there on the dashboard of my car.
i can go a hundred miles an hour
long as i have the almighty power
sittin' up there with my pair of fuzzy dice

--------------------

rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most German hymns are dire. The German United Methodist Hymnal is full of dirges, all in minor keys, all harping on about blood and sacrifice.

One that makes me curl up with embarrassment talks about Jesus as being my lamb and my bridegroom in the same line

The image that conjours up is... well, Welsh farmers tend to feature in it... not an image I find terribly helpful...

(That is to say, stereotypical Welsh farmers, before someone informs me he is a Welsh farmer.)

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Sorry.. to clarify--Popular as in NOW popular (for example, as listed on that website, the one who's URL I can't remember now... )

Sieg

Reverse Chronological Snobbery.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by David:
Reverse Chronological Snobbery.

I just have a hard time keeping reverent thoughts singing a song set to, say, "Smells like teen spirit" when the lyrics of the original are what I'm thinking about.

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

I think the tune of 'Teenage Dirtbag' would lend itself admirably for a modern worship song.

And all the middle-aged people would be bouncing up and down enthusiastically waving their hands in the air singing along, while the small number of teenagers in the congregation tried to pretend they were somewhere/someone else.

--------------------
i-church

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay okay okay! I can't stand it any more.

I'll confess my sin!!!

Some years ago, I was in band that had the honor of playing in a church for Bluegrass Sunday (I play String Bass in addition to keyboards).

Don't ask.

We had chosen a "relatively" tasteful program of early-American music, but we ran out of songs at Communion, so the mandolin player (I swear I'm not making this up), launched into a touching rendition of "The Tennessee Waltz."

For those of you of a European persuasion, here are the lyrics to the song, which, thank God, we didn't sing, but which many people knew:

I was waltzin'
with my darlin'
to the Tennessee Waltz
when an old friend I happened to meet.

I introduced him
to my sweetheart
and while they were dancin'
my friend stole my true love from me.

CHORUS:
I remember the night, and the Tennessee Waltz
and the old friend I happened to meet:
I introduced him to my sweetheart
And while they were dancin'
my friend stole my true love from me.

To this day, I wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat remembering that day. It is a testimony to Jesus' grace and protection that he kept God from striking us dead. Even now, people still remind me of the incident.

It's enough to make you turn Buddhist.

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016