homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happen to love Lord of the Dance (performed well - it is not a good one for congregational singing), and think of it as rather "eternal." No wonder it seems dated to some, because it dates back to the Middle Ages.

May I, as a former musician, add a general peeve? I loathe when anyone sings chant at a dragging pace! Gregorian chant, for example, was never meant to be slow, yet those who destroy it in this way think they are being "reverent."

Anyone who thinks there was no penance in the 1960s never sat through those endless choruses of Kumbaya.

I have no idea how any Pope became involved with prohibiting use of a hymn written in English (most "traditional" RC hymns popular in my childhood sound like Come Back to Erin Mavaurneen), but there was one case when that was so. It was a soppy, sentimental, dreadful hymn entitled "Good Night, Sweet Jesus."

Trouble was, the congregations always had some members who thought it was the best. In one parish where I served, people asked me when we were going to sing it. I refrained from saying "Over my dead body!" only because I feared it would be played at my funeral.

It loses much without the horrid tune, but begins:
Good-night, sweet Jesus,
Guard us in sleep,
Our souls and bodies in thy love keep.
Waking or sleeping (presumably us, not him), keep us in sight,
Dear gentle Saviour, good-night, good-night.

Is anyone out there Roman-grown and 40+? Cringe along with me at memories of "Little White Guest!"

Cheers,
Elizabeth

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW all around London there are adverts for 'Cosmo Uncovered'???

(I thought at first they were advertising an all-nude version of Singin' in the Rain...)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really??
We've started something over at MW! I think it used to be called mission!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway, on the subject of hymans, I vaguely remember one that went:

"Holy Jesus may I be
Dead and buried here with Thee"

and somewhere else in the verses was
"O what awful worms we be."

brother shufti
Apprentice
# 845

- Posted      Profile for brother shufti   Author's homepage   Email brother shufti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
here in australia, well hillsongs have already made the list, back in bible college i remember them being referred to as "jesus is my boyfriend" music. i remember we used to sing a chorus about binding the strongman and calling down fire from heaven. the best one i remember was a song that went something like:

i'm an overcomer
victorious in jesus
filled up with god's power
devil
i'm gonna fight with all god's given

get out of my way
cos i'm comin through
and nothing you do
is gonna stop me, stop me, stop me

the thing is you have to imagine the last line with a youth pastor doing his best imitation of diana ross and the supremes doing "stop in the name of love" i just couldn't keep a straight face.

only 51 to go now!

the shufti man!

Posts: 3 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm finding this thread to be great fun, probably to the distress of shipmates. May I add another peeve, which especially troubled me in the days when I was a director of music?

Using the tunes of popular songs, with new words composed by a religious education team, couple about to be married, etc., regretfully was common. I remember, for example, someone who used Bob Dylan's tune "Blowing in the Wind" - words were things such as "How many times must their blood be shed, before they know that it's Mine? The answer, my friend, is in the hearts of men, the answer is living in all men."

One nun that I knew, who was definitely not the type to do this in order to be funny, had "I Know I'll Never Find Another You" at her profession ceremony. Only one word of the original was changed - "if I should lose your love, dear" was changed to "love, Lord."

I'd love to relate some of the oddities I saw at weddings (especially those choreographed so that various, totally inappropriate popular songs were sung as various members of the families were ushered to their seats - somehow, "Sunrise, Sunset" always was one of them) and funerals (Come Back to Erin Mavaurneen was bad, but Up a Lazy River, the deceased's favourite song, probably the worst), but I've been all too wordy already...

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a song, which I quite like, that goes

Father, I adore you
lay my life before you
how I love you.

Jesus, I adore you
lay my life before you
how I love you.

Spirit, I adore you
lay my life before you
how I love you.

We once sang this in our church and the fellow leading it added two verses, beginning "brother" and then "sister." I cringed at using the word "adore" (worship, pray to) in that context.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My choir once sang at the funeral of person named 'Irene'. The coffin was carried out to: 'Goodnight Irene'. Argh!

On the subject of 60s and early 70s penance - Kumbayah's complement: 'Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham'.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose we need to be careful, Newman's Own, because anyone who has been involved with church music has lots of horror stories.
But I think I can beat Up the Lazy River. I sang a funeral once where they played "Tumblin' Tumbleweed" (using a cheap little boombox and a home-recorded cassette tape). This was done as a "meditation" after a cowboy hat and piece of tack were placed on the coffin in lieu of a crucifix.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

- Posted      Profile for Flubb     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*cough* first post... /me waves

'Bind us together' is trooly a naff song but it makes me laff because you can add 'with jam' at the end which saves it from being too gruesome.
Also:
'This world is not my home
I'm just a-passing through
If heaven's not my home
Then Lord what will I do?'

Quickly ended with 'The hell will have to do', which has a certain pragmatic approach...
=
Unfortunately most of the ones I really hate have been taken :| but I have been warmed greatly by this thread. I thought I was alone in my hatred of all songs bad and terrible.

--------------------
In cyberspace everyone can hear your spleen...

Posts: 234 | From: St. Androos | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Sensing that I am a musician on friendly territory, I have found this thread rather nurturing...

For a short time, infrequently yet more than once, I had some couple's who were planning a wedding ceremony ask for "Where is Love?" from "Oliver!" Aside from its not being in the category of great music, I could not fathom how anyone who'd listened to the words would not find them an extremely depressing accompaniment for a joyous occasion. (Even if they did not know Oliver was singing of his mother!) A couple who wants to hear "Every night I kneel and pray - let tomorrow be the day - when I see the face of someone who I can mean something to" needs to spend a little more time thinking this over...

I remember, as well, certain popular hymns of the era(mental block on names and authors, I suppose) which were adaptations of scriptural passages... totally unsuited for wedding ceremonies, but requested often enough. (Pastors, then, always took the side of the couples.) More than once, an adaptation of a passage from Hosea was considered "just perfect" because of "Long have I waited for your coming home to me and living deeply our new life." (Attempts to explain the passage, and the state of Hosea's bride, tended to be fruitless, even, as was unlikely, if I left out how Hosea's wife was Israel.) And one far-too-earnest couple would not accept that "Wherever you go I shall go" referred to Ruth and Naiomi.

Someone get me another round of gin...

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

GeoffH
Shipmate
# 133

- Posted      Profile for GeoffH   Email GeoffH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had "make of our hearts one heart" from West Side Story. Lovely words, smashing tune. (goes all soppy)

--------------------
Geoff H - an unreconstructed proddy

Posts: 305 | From: UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by GeoffH:
We had "make of our hearts one heart" from West Side Story. Lovely words, smashing tune. (goes all soppy)

Oh, heavens, how many times I sang that one! ... I suppose it can be tolerated, but absolutely draw the line at "Tonight."

Nor do I ever again want to sing anything that begins with "He is now to be among you, at the calling of your heart...." Dreadful! And everyone seemed to want it for a time.

Then again, the single time when a pastor agreed with me at prohibiting a song was when one couple wanted to walk down the aisle to "Hey, Mr Tambourine Man."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by The Happy Coot:
My choir once sang at the funeral of person named 'Irene'. The coffin was carried out to: 'Goodnight Irene'. Argh!

On the subject of 60s and early 70s penance - Kumbayah's complement: 'Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham'.

You forgot "Turn, Turn, Turn," sung through the nose.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by The Happy Coot:

You forgot "Turn, Turn, Turn," sung through the nose.

...Reminds me of a time when a novice mistress whom I knew thought that John Denver's "Poems, Prayers, and Promises" (which I'd never heard before she mentioned it to me, and thank heavens I did then) would be wonderful for reception day. "Lie there by the fire, and watch the evening tire, while all my friends and my old lady sit and pass the pipe around..."

One of the more difficult tasks in my life has been explaining to one so innocent what it meant to pass the pipe around, still saving my uncontrollable laughter for later.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I suppose we need to be careful, Newman's Own, because anyone who has been involved with church music has lots of horror stories.
But I think I can beat Up the Lazy River. I sang a funeral once where they played "Tumblin' Tumbleweed" (using a cheap little boombox and a home-recorded cassette tape). This was done as a "meditation" after a cowboy hat and piece of tack were placed on the coffin in lieu of a crucifix.

One of my first experiences with "themed funerals" was accompanying a tenor soloist during the funeral of a retired railroad engineer. He was sung out to a song entitled "God's Railroad." I have blessedly forgotten most of the words and all of the tune, but I have burned into my memory the last two lines of the chorus: "Keep your hand upon the throttle / and your eye upon the rail."

[spelling fixed]

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishop Joe
Shipmate
# 527

- Posted      Profile for Bishop Joe   Email Bishop Joe       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine marched down the aisle to a solo rendition of B. Bacharach's ("They Long to Be) Close to You" made popular by the Carpenters. My only excuse is that it was the early seventies and everyone was nuts.

Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I attended a wedding in the 1970s (yes, we all were nuts...) where the groom, rather than the bride, walked up the aisle. The bride stood in front of the chancel and sang "I Love you Just the Way you Are" as he approached.

This does not strictly have to do with music, but it is too good a funeral story to waste. (I got it secondhand, but from a reliable source.) It was a funeral for an elderly man who was of Chippewa Indian ancestry, and also an alcoholic. Technically an RC service, it incorporated various Indian customs.

Finally, everyone in attendance was given a paper cup filled with whiskey. The coffin was placed in the grave, the priest then raised a toast to the deceased, everyone drank the whiskey, then threw the used paper cups into the grave.

[spelling fixed]

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the radio the other day, a couple about to be married requested 'You've lost that loving feeling'.

??????

In October I'm playing for the wedding of an Elvis impersonator. I know he wants to sing during the service - wonder what?

Anyone want to MW the service?!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so this is most likely an urban myth, but quite amusing anyway. A couple were getting married and asked the organist to play them out to the theme from "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" as it was their favourite song. The organist said that it was unusual, but promised he would do so.

On the great day, the couple walked up the aisle to "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Riding through the glen"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ianf
Apprentice
# 796

- Posted      Profile for ianf   Email ianf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just in case you thought that modern evangelicals had the market cornered on dire worship songs, here's a little ditty from Benjamin Keach, the guy credited with introducing hymn singing to Britain. Apparently he endured some opposition. How far sighted they were.
'Our wounds do stink and are corrupt
Hard swellings we do see
We want a little ointment Lord
Let us more humble be.

Here meets them now the worm that gnaws
And plucks their bowels out
The pit too on them shuts her jaws
This dreadful is, no doubt.'

CF Alexander, author of 'Once in Royal' and 'There is a Green Hill' also penned these less well known lines, concerning the joys of Sunday morning worship. She conducts a psalm of ascents going to the house of the Lord, climaxing when going through the graveyard with 'They cannot rise and come to church with us, for they are dead.'

But it still beats 'I want to serve the purpose of God in my generation'.

Posts: 2 | From: swansea, wales | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We Anglo Catholics have some pretty dire hymns too, in particular the Walsingham Pilgrims Hymn which tells the story of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in the style of William McGonnegal. There are about thirty verses, but my favourites are

One day as she prayed and looked up to the skies
A vision of splendour delightes her eyes

and later on

As slowly the vision disappeared from her sight
She remembered what it looked like both length breadth and height

Can anyone really improve on that?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about "Give me oil in my lamp"?

Or "A new commandment" sung at snails pace by cathedral choir and congregation? (I suspect it was a deliberate protest on the part of the organist...)

Or "God save the Queen" accompanied by the organ (all stops out) vying with bagpipes playing something very different as the recessional? Quite an ear splitting experience...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has given me a good laugh; remembering the trashy songs in our "young", "evangelical" church. Forgive me if I mentioned others that have been mentioned before...there have been so many!

"King of Kings and Lord of Lords"
Bad enough on its own, in my opinion, but when one of the singers came down the aisle clapping and encouraging us to do [in an Anglican church mind you!] so I just wanted to be taken up to heaven Elijah style.

"Bind us together"

"Father, I adore you..."
Sorry to the person who said "Good" to this; at each verse it got slower and slower until it took 10+ seconds per line.

Favourite? I'll be safe and go for "And Can It Be?" and "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" [though I prefer it in German. ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I cannot come to the banquet, don't bother me now
I have married a wife, I have bought me a cow

Oops...I forgot to comment on that! Remembering this had me attempting to stifle laughter very unsuccessfully at work. Many stares.

As recent as a few years ago, my sister was belting out this song every day. I couldn't believe it then, and can't now. [Though if kicking oneself through goalposts if out there???]. She also sings a chorus about God giving wings...I do not know the rest: it could be quite good. All I know is, "God gives wings...God gives wings..."

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone help with identifying a chorus that's going round my head? I can only remember the last (?) verse. It goes a bit like this - I shall try to illustrate the cramming of too many syllables into the beginning of the verse:

Letherebe glory and honour and power,
Glory and honour to Jeeee-sus.
Glorrr-y, Hooo-nour
Glory and Honour to Him.

What is it, where's it from and is there any way of stopping it?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the whole of it:

Let there be glory and honour and praises,
Glory and honour to Jesus,
Glory, honour, glory and honour to Him.
(2nd part)
Glory, glory and honour to Jesus,
Glory, honour, glory and honour to Him.
(1st and 2nd parts)
Keep your light shining brightly
As the darkness covers the earth;
For a people that walk in darkness,
They shall see, they shall see a great light.

Now it's your fault if I get this singing round my head all day - battling with MXChart is difficult enough as it is!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeuch. Thank you, Ann .... I think.

Not quite on the same level as the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete, I fear.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great stuff! I never really understood that Christian pop song (sometimes used as "special music") that went:

Love crucified a rose

What would Love do that for? What had the rose done?

And what about "Heavenly Father, we appreciate you"? Talk about damning with faint praise. Next we'll be singing, "Don't you just admire God?"

And all those hymns about God being on our side. It's like God sits up in heaven, sees a war or a football match or something going on, and decides whose side to take. ("Hmm. Arsenal hasn't beaten this team all year. We're rooting for Arsenal. Always stick up for the underdog, that's what We say.")

And now for something completely different. Being, like Fr. Gregory, of the Orthodox persuasion, we have a few clunkers ourselves. He was too modest to post any, but I shall. We have this just wretched song we sing on Christmas, that goes:

When Augustus ruled alone upon the earth
All the nations of the world were brought under one single rule

I HATE this one! No they weren't! I want to scream. What about China? What about the Aztecs? Sheeesh! One single rule my chotke!

Thanks. That feels much better!

Reader Alex

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

I thought it was Red Bull that gives you wings, not God....

Oi Alex, don't knock Michael Card! (Love Crucified Arose - one word!). The guy writes intelligent lyrics and doesn't buy into the Nashville CCM hype, so I have a lot of time for him.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
(Love Crucified Arose - one word!).

Is that like the one that goes "Gladly my cross eyed bear"?

Sorry, couldn't resist it

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an awful lot like "gladly the cross-eyed bear." or "Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me."

But when I first heard it, I heard the mondegreen. You must admit "Love crucified arose" isn't exactly the sort of locution one hears every day.

foolish and sinful,
Reader Alexis

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the 23rd Psalm:
Shirley, good Miss Murphy shall follow me...

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I didn't even know Card did "Love Crucified Arose." Just goes to show that even really good writers can crank out a turkey once in a while.

Alex

--------------------

Ingeborg S. Nordén
Shipmate
# 894

- Posted      Profile for Ingeborg S. Nordén   Email Ingeborg S. Nordén   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Great stuff! I never really understood that Christian pop song (sometimes used as "special music") that went:

Love crucified a rose

What would Love do that for? What had the rose done?

I've heard "Up from the grave he arose" butchered similarly (and visualized a rather messy long-stemmed flower emerging from a gravy boat when some people sing that line... )

quote:
And what about "Heavenly Father, we appreciate you"? Talk about damning with faint praise. Next we'll be singing, "Don't you just admire God?"

Already done, at least satirically; I've seen an e-mail message circulating with hymn titles for the less-than-enthusiastic churchgoer, supposedly compiled and approved by "Bishop Luke W. Armm". Here are a few of them, off the top of my head:

• All Hail the Influence of Jesus' Name
  • Be Thou My Hobby
  • Joyful, Joyful, We Kinda Like Thee
  • O for a Couple of Tongues to Sing

quote:
We have this just wretched song we sing on Christmas, that goes:

When Augustus ruled alone upon the earth
All the nations of the world were brought under one single rule

I HATE this one! No they weren't! I want to scream. What about China? What about the Aztecs? Sheeesh! One single rule my chotke!

The North Germanic peoples (I hesitate to call them "Norsemen" at that early a stage!) definitely weren't under Roman rule either.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
The North Germanic peoples (I hesitate to call them "Norsemen" at that early a stage!) definitely weren't under Roman rule either

I'm sorry, Ingeborg; I just picked two examples off the top of my head. There were a boatload of peoples not under Roman rule.

Or am I allowed to apologize in Hell?

Wait; you were being pedantic. I know that's not allowed in Hell -- at least, that's what Pyx_e said in the "Back to Basics" thread.

Alex

--------------------

hotpug306
Apprentice
# 979

- Posted      Profile for hotpug306   Email hotpug306   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just thought I'd let you know I havent laughed so much in ages.
thanks for bringing all those memories back from sunday school, and really bad youth camps.

Posts: 5 | From: Sydney, Australia.. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justin
Shipmate
# 693

- Posted      Profile for Justin   Email Justin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
OK, so this is most likely an urban myth, but quite amusing anyway. A couple were getting married and asked the organist to play them out to the theme from "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" as it was their favourite song. The organist said that it was unusual, but promised he would do so.

On the great day, the couple walked up the aisle to "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Riding through the glen"

Another story, which must come under the great apologies of our time, number 183, was at the funeral of Eddy Oakley, in Southwark crematorium. When the coffin was to be conveyed behind the curtains to be burnt, his widow had expressed the desire that the tune to "Every time we say goodbye..." should be played on the Organ. Unfortunately, the organist played "When smoke gets in your eyes..."

--------------------
I'm an experimentalist. Please
speak slowly.

Posts: 91 | From: Bucks, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God’s not dead NO
He is alive
God’s not dead NO
He is alive
God’s not dead NO
He is alive

Feel it in my hands (clap clap)
Feel it in my feet (stamp stamp)
Feel it in my heart (boom boom)
Feel it in my soul (wheeeeeeee)
Feel it all over me

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend went to India, with Careforce, and came back with a possible winner of “Worst people to sing this song”. This is sung by Indian street kids, who are mostly dying of TB, leprosy, typhoid etc – you name it, they’ve got it, especially if it’s deadly!

“every little cell in my body is happy, every little cell in my body is well.”

There’s also the Matt Redman song, containing the lyric ‘Oh I feel like dancing…’ which my church of 250 adults manage to sing without moving any muscles not required for singing!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

And what about this one? I think it’s Kevin Prosch…not only crappy words, but the tune is up in the rafters somewhere!
all lines in verse are echoed by women)

He brought me to his banqueting table
And his banner
Over me
Is love
I am my beloved’s and He is mine (sexual overtones???????)
Yes I am my beloved’s and He is mine
Yes I am my beloved’s and He is mine
And his banner
Over me
Is love

He banner over me
His banner over you
His banner over us
Is love love love

('his banner... is the chorus and must be sung ad nauseam, and then a few more times!!!!)

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

Anyone here sung “Whether you’re one”??? Trite, pathetic lyrics and actions, even the kids at my church don’t like this one! Here’s the lyrics:

Whether you’re 1
Or whether you’re 2
Or 3 or 4 or 5
6 or 7 or 8 or 9
It’s good to be alive! (however, if you’re 10….)
It really doesn’t matter how old you are,
Jesus loves you whoever you are.
Sha la la la la la la la la
Jesus loves us all
(wait for it…) Shooby dooby do
Jesus loves us all

Whether you’re big
Or whether you’re small
Or somewhere in between (see, size doesn’t matter…!)
First in the class
Or middle or last,
It’s all the same to him
It really doesn’t matter how clever you are,
Jesus loves you who ever you are
Jesus loves us all
Shooby dooby do
Jesus loves us all

(i'm gonna be sick)

viki

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
...And his banner Over me Is love
(remaining inane lyrics to the song deleted)

This is a gesture song, too.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

sarkycow, you nearly made me fall off my chair laughing! I'd heard that "God's not dead" song, perhaps 25 years ago, at a charismatic conference - at the time, I thought that the young kids who were singing it were making it up. I had no idea, until today, that it was a "real" hymn. (Too bad that it is!)

Anyone of my vintage, with memories of charismatic days, remember "The Dancing Heart"?

Oh, the Holy Ghost will set your feet a-dancin',
The Holy Ghost will fill you through and through,
The Holy Ghost will set your feet a-dancin',
and set your heart a-dancin' too.

Or how about this one?:
Joy is the flag flying high from the castle of my heart,
from the castle of my heart,
from the castle of my heart,
Joy is the flag flying high from the castle of my heart,
When the King is in residence there.

One of the major problems with such songs, of course, is that even when the words (or theology) were dreadful, and the music the type to make a classical singer shake her head, they were such catchy tunes. I know I'm going to be humming them all night just remembering.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And what about this one? I think it’s Kevin Prosch…not only crappy words, but the tune is up in the rafters somewhere!
all lines in verse are echoed by women)

He brought me to his banqueting table ....

Actually, that's a re-do/arrangement of an old American pentecostal song.

What could be worse: Take a bad song and through injudicious expansion raise the cringe factor several notches.

Sort of like a lot of sequal movies these days, a la The Sixth Sense, part two: "I see more dead people."

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Oi Alex, don't knock Michael Card! (Love Crucified Arose - one word!). The guy writes intelligent lyrics and doesn't buy into the Nashville CCM hype, so I have a lot of time for him.

Indeed. Poema was a brilliant album. Love it.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And his banner
Over me
Is love
I am my beloved’s and He is mine (sexual overtones???????)

Indeed, from the song of songs. A literal translation would be:

"He took me into his wine cellar and we had sex."

Try singing that next sunday.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this from when I was in the UK in 1994. Mind you -- I have never heard much children-singing-hymns at all in churches in the US, so I thought it refreshing and kind of nice, but a similar one above reminded me...

If you're black or if you're white
If you're fat or lean
God... loves... you...
If you're short or if you're tall
If you're in between
God... loves... you...
He loves you when you're happy
He loves you when you're sad
He loves you when you're feeling blue
He loves you when you're glad
No matter what you look like
No matter what you do
God... loves... you!

I mean here in the US we'd never hear "If you're fat or lean." The word "fat" would be considered too insulting, I think.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicholas Parson
Apprentice
# 1007

- Posted      Profile for Nicholas Parson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone remember...

The joy of the Lord is my strength

Chorus
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posts: 2 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
Originally posted by Nicholas Parson:
Does anyone remember...

Chorus

Please tell me you've made that one up.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016