homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Great unanswered questions of our time (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Great unanswered questions of our time
Brickbat
Shipmate
# 783

- Posted      Profile for Brickbat   Email Brickbat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do clairvoyants have doorbells?

--------------------
Life is like an anole...
Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's brown, but always it's a small Caribbean lizard...

Posts: 66 | From: Plymouth, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put me down on the boring list:

quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Why do you never see baby pigeons?

Squabs remain in the nest until they are almost full grown before fledging. (Just like teenagers really)

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the weather always sunny while I'm at work, but not at the weekend?!

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My turn to be mundane:

They've actually done a study on the effect of urban heat islands (the heat that builds up over cities). On the east coast of the US, they've found that the heat and humidity build up over cities during the week and slowly drift off shore, so that over the weekend this comes back ashore as stormy weather.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
An Olay is an Aloe (as in aloe vera) that has passed through the system of a marketing executive.

Yeeugh!

And you're supposed to do what with the stuff?

BTW - I love the adverts at Christmas and Mother's Day which suggest (to kids) that this is the present mum would like best - translation "Mum's all wrinkly".

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doctor Zaius
Shipmate
# 261

- Posted      Profile for Doctor Zaius   Author's homepage   Email Doctor Zaius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the filthy humans let off gastric pressure, why doesn't the clothing filter it out?

--------------------
My Ecclesiastes Project

Posts: 135 | From: Katy, Texas | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because, dear Doctor, the clothing is generally porous.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emily
Shipmate
# 437

- Posted      Profile for Emily   Author's homepage   Email Emily   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Posts: 86 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably bread without grit.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
obvious_agent
Apprentice
# 1157

- Posted      Profile for obvious_agent   Email obvious_agent   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About letting one off - I heard that someone has invented pants that contain activated charcoal filters that do indeed filter noxious odours out....

One for the day after the curry the night b4...

...Also someone did a study into toast landing buttered side down - it has something to do with weight distribution i think is what they came up with.

I've got one - why do people wearing hats in cars make for the most infuriating of drivers to follow?

Posts: 6 | From: wales | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They also came to the conclusion that toast that landed butter side up had been buttered on the wrong side

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do charismatic zen buddists clap with one hand?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a great suggestion for a monorail design based upon an array of cats (which always land feet-first) strapped to buttered toast (which always lands butterside down) so that they never touch the ground...

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GabyLeDorque
Shipmate
# 939

- Posted      Profile for GabyLeDorque   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About Murphy's law, here's a story...

This man is the unluckiest person in the world. He has never had a single stroke of good luck in his entire life. Anything wrong that could have happened to him did. So naturally, he's a quite depressed individual and he sees a psychiatrist every day.

This one morning, he's having breakfast, he's just done buttering his toast when, of course, it slips and falls on the floor EXCEPT it fell on the non-buttered side! So he's completely extatic, he picks up the toast and runs to his psychiatrist's, storms into the office holding the toast up in the air shouting "Look doctor! The curse is broken! I buttered this toast and it slipped and fell but it fell ON THE NON-BUTTERED SIDE!!!"

So the doctor takes the toast from the man's hands, examines it and gives it back to him saying:

"I'm sorry. It was buttered on the wrong side."

TA-TAAAA!!!!

--------------------
Lines you'll never hear in a Western #195 - "You had me at 'Howdy!'"

Posts: 63 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cinnamon
Apprentice
# 1181

- Posted      Profile for Cinnamon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What is an olay?"

What a good question, one I've wanted the answer to myself! I have to admit though that the chicken lubricant explanation does make me slightly reluctant to lather myself up with it!!

Regards,

Cinnamon.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Murphy was an optimist.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks ChastMastr, but I'm not convinced by your solution to the bath towels question - the bits of skin left in the towel are clean, aren't they? so why not just give it a good shake and carry on?

Now, one of my own: why is "poo" the accepted word for sh*t (or cr*p) in English early years teaching? If the bear had been called Winnie-the-sh*t, would things be different now?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't that O'Toole's Law, Nightlamp?
I believe it hasn't yet been falsified!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Grimm's Fairy Tales, why do the world's strongest man/fastest man/etc. have nothing to do until the hero needs their help?

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My impression has always been that the hero is the first person to pay proper attention to these guys (possibly because they look nerdy) and so they reveal their gifts to him. Rather like the fairy tales where the heroine shares her crust with an animal which turns out to be the one creature with the power to help her.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

- Posted      Profile for fee   Email fee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hey this is so strange, I was jsut reading through thie thread when my boss, obviously hard at work as well Emailed this through to me! - Some have alerady been posted so apologies! :0)

* Why does the sun ligten our hair but darken our skin?

* Why can women not put on mascara with their mouths shut? (I don't put mascara on so have no idea how true this is?!!)

* Why do you never see the headline "Psychic wins lottery"?

* Why is abbreviated such a long word?

* Why is dyslexia so hard to spell?

* Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

* Why is it to stop Windows 98 you have to click on start?

* Why is the man (lets be PC - person) who invests all your money called a broker?

* Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called "Rush Hour"?

* Why isn't there any mouse flavoured cat food?

* Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?!

* Why do they sterilise the needles for a lethal injection?

* Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

* Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

There you go... my input!

Love and Hugs
Fee
xxx

[2 items removed in light of recent events]

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Posts: 256 | From: Northampton | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda
Shipmate
# 938

- Posted      Profile for Amanda   Email Amanda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the pigeons again, someone told me this weekend that they saw not one, but TWO baby pigeons - and I think he was quite a trustworthy person, so it seems they do exist.

Also - why are there 4 double-sided cards in a pack of UNO cards? The instructions say something to the effect of: before starting play remove the four black uno cards! So why oh why oh why are they there?????

--------------------
You can give the donkey a happy ending...but the miserable beginning remains forever.

Posts: 72 | From: Exeter, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you lose a card you can create a replacement with one of the blank uno cards.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kerry
Shipmate
# 202

- Posted      Profile for Kerry   Author's homepage   Email Kerry   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One question that continues to puzzle me - not about our time, but about our church -
if we are supposed to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and our local choir sound like a bunch of clinically depressive cats, does that mean he has earplugs for Sunday mornings? Or does he just zone our church out?

Kerry

--------------------
I want a cool signature too....

Posts: 150 | From: Sheffield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that case bb why did they not leave one side white?

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Warden
Shipmate
# 1089

- Posted      Profile for Warden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
If we are supposed to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and our local choir sound like a bunch of clinically depressive cats, does that mean he has earplugs for Sunday mornings? Or does he just zone our church out?

Perhaps he's an optimist and can find joy in everything? (Or even, if your choir enjoys making the noise they do, it is a joyful noise )

--------------------
Ut unum sint.

Posts: 90 | From: Eastbourne UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Calvin
Shipmate
# 271

- Posted      Profile for Calvin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
if we are supposed to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and our local choir sound like a bunch of clinically depressive cats, does that mean he has earplugs for Sunday mornings? Or does he just zone our church out?

Psalm 150 - Everything that has breath praise the Lord.

So if they are praising the Lord he doesn't mind what it sounds like !

--------------------
A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

Posts: 305 | From: Here and Now | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016