homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blast of the Trump Against the Monstrous English Regiment of Evangelical Basher (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blast of the Trump Against the Monstrous English Regiment of Evangelical Basher
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the dinky grammar I had way back used them so we wouldn't have to figure out if the vowels were long or short.

Now stop posting to this thread until the original poster deigns to reply.

Thanks.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wonderful. From my home state AND stole my avatar AND is an idiot.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Now stop posting to this thread until the original poster deigns to reply.

Okay, Okay!

Rdr A.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hercule
Apprentice
# 2943

- Posted      Profile for Hercule   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ender's--"wiener" is derived from "hwinan?" I'll be damned.

Arietty--"you" is you-all in the English church, henceforth to be called "English" by me whenever I feel like it. (The Amish call all non-Amish "English." Egoistic perhaps, but not as much as British Airways calling all flights to England "homebound" or some such nonsense.) "British" or "Britons" is for liberally-minded English or assimilated non-English, which is what you are if you're non-English but a member of the English church. (Unless you're an American and call yourself an Anglican, which just means you're trying to glom onto the dying aura of English cultural capital. This seems to more thinkable in the US, because there are no unfashionable fundies in your midst you have to apologize for.)

fundy, fundie, fundy, fundie

I admit I should have been clearer; I wasn't trying to imply that the Oxford yobs I ran into were representative of the whole English church. Just that the experience impressed upon me the fact that a certain breed of evangelical-fundy asshead was not unique to North America. At the time I was living down south, and I had believed the stereotype that the Great American Bible Belt safeguards all that is batshit-cazy in Protestantism. There is a lot of truth to that, but the lines aren't drawn as starkly as I once thought. (This was also before I had ever heard of Ian Paisley, mind you.)

Anyway, I just mentioned this experience since it came to mind again upon browsing through SoF for the first time last night. Again I realized that American evangelicalism and its discontents are mirrored quite a bit in England's church and its postcolonial subsidiaries worldwide. Fascinating--and then--sad.

Sorry, I didn't do a comprehensive reading of the site in the hours I was online, but I figured that would give dinks a chance to play the "didja read" opening: e.g., "didja read the freakin' faq, didja read Small Fire, have you absorbed the idea of Restless Christian Narcissism?"

sakura--do you really want to engage in a serious discussion of why the CoE was a doomed, maniacal invention from the get-go?

hasten heaven's king

Posts: 49 | From: In transit | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scyndan heofon-cyning:
I'll be damned.

Hope not. [Devil]

In all seriousness, do you understand why everyone has taken your OP the way they have, scyndan?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"you" is you-all in the English church, henceforth to be called "English" by me whenever I feel like it.

I've read through your post three or four times, and I have to say:

What in the name of the Seven Pillars of Bollocks are you talking about, pal?

Now do you mean the English, or the English church?

And by the English Church do you mean the Church of England or the churches in England?

Because if you mean the Church OF England, then you're not talking to everyone here.

If you mean the churches IN England, you're making a generalisation so crass as to make your entire claim of 'intelligence' laughable. Seriously, mate. If you meant this, what the hell are you doing in a university doing postgrad research for? (Yes, I did some research. Know Your Tosspots, after all. It's a good rule to follow. And it means I rarely - if ever - lose an argument here.)

quote:
Amish call all non-Amish "English."
A fine principle, and obviously a great parallel.

quote:
Egoistic perhaps, but not as much as British Airways calling all flights to England "homebound" or some such nonsense.)
(To self and other hosts and admins: is this guy for real? No, I mean, really. He has to be taking the piss. No one is really that stupid. Not with this guy's qualifications.)

quote:
"British" or "Britons" is for liberally-minded English or assimilated non-English, which is what you are if you're non-English but a member of the English church.
*cough*pile of steaming arse biscuits*cough*

So what are you if you're Welsh and Reformed? Or Methodist? Or Scots and Presbyterian Church of Scotland? Or Irish and Catholic?

quote:
(Unless you're an American and call yourself an Anglican, which just means you're trying to glom onto the dying aura of English cultural capital. This seems to more thinkable in the US, because there are no unfashionable fundies in your midst you have to apologize for.)
You are so taking the piss. I'll let someone else deal with this one.

I'm sorry, I'm just laughing too hard to take it seriously.

quote:
Is this some TS Eliot thing? Or am I crediting you with too much knowledge.

quote:
I admit I should have been clearer; I wasn't trying to imply that the Oxford yobs I ran into were representative of the whole English church.
Why, thank you. That so clears it all up.

quote:
Sorry, I didn't do a comprehensive reading of the site in the hours I was online, but I figured that would give dinks a chance to play the "didja read" opening
Sorry, not good enough, Mr I've- Read- Church- History- And- I- Know- All- About- England- More- Than- Anyone- Who- Actually- Lives- There- Because- I- Know- About- Its- Medieval- History- And- Once- Spent- A- Term- In- An- Ivory- Tower- Ci ty- With- No- Actual- Relation- To- What- England- Or- In- Fact- Britain- For- That- Matter- Is- Actually- Like.

If you really are a) a postgrad research student and b) not simply doing this to get a rise out of us (which, frankly, is still the most likely alternative to me, because, as I just said, few people are That Colossally Stupid), then you should be aware that any idiot in that field knows you don't stage an argument without knowing what you're bloody well talking about.

Tell me you're not a complete thickie.

Tell me it was a joke.

[ 26 June 2002, 01:14: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood, my darling, what the fuck are you doing? The fact that you live somewhere doesn't actually give you any street cred when you're talking about the place. Or that's what a certain ex-host told ME, anyway.

Getting back to our newest toy, I was pretty much convinced that he'd shot his wad with the OP. I must admit that I'm impressed that he came back for more. Another masochistic poster. God, you are just TOO GOOD to me. This is your way of luring me back into the pews every Sunday, isn't it?

quote:
--"you" is you-all in the English church, henceforth to be called "English" by me whenever I feel like it. (The Amish call all non-Amish "English." Egoistic perhaps, but not as much as British Airways calling all flights to England "homebound" or some such nonsense.) "British" or "Britons" is for liberally-minded English or assimilated non-English, which is what you are if you're non-English but a member of the English church
You* just pull this right out of your ass, don't you*? Since when are you* the arbiter of cultural and national identities?

*Note: "you" is you -- only schadenfreude or whatthefuckever your name is -- in your very own parallel universe, henceforth to be called "dickhead" by me whenever I feel like it.

[ 25 June 2002, 21:23: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, my darling, my sweet, my beloved.

You say the things that most of us can only dream of saying.

I have so much to learn.

--------------------
Narcissism.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Razz] (uncontrollable snickering at all the (unintentional?) double-entendres -- "pillars of bollocks," "thickie," "toy... shot his wad," "masochistic," etc.)

Ahem, carry on.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
....I wonder if this Aulde Englysshe troll isn't related to Madamoiselle Dree-Saint? They both self-report as being holier than me, and turned up at roughly the same time. Hmmmm.

Reader Alexis

No, Alex, you're wrong. Miss Dree-Saint is holier than you; scyndan heofon-cyning is merely smarter.

(In spite of his disdain for all things British, I suspect there is an anglophile somewhere in that soul just waiting to come out. He hyphenates his name just like the British; Americans don't hyphenate their name unless they're lesbians.)

He reminds me of the story Garrison Keillor tells about Pastor Inkvist's 3rd son, the black sheep who ran off to Minneapolis to become an Episcopalian. Every time the boy came home to Lake Woebegon, attendance at the Lutheran Church would triple because people wanted to see for themselves if Episcopalians really were as snooty as everyone said. He was such a disappointment to his poor mother.

I know y'all will hate me, but I'm inclined to be charitable here. SH-C has a nice picture of himself on his website with his child. Reminds me of a similar picture I have of my son and me when The Offspring was about that age. Right before he threw up grape juice all over me. It's something of an archetypal metaphor for my life (mem.: check to see if it is possible to have an "archetypal metaphor"). Poor boy, SH-C's gonna be on the receiving end of a lot of grape juice with an Attitude like he has.

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Arietty--"you" is you-all in the English church, henceforth to be called "English" by me whenever I feel like it. (The Amish call all non-Amish "English." Egoistic perhaps, but not as much as British Airways calling all flights to England "homebound" or some such nonsense.) "British" or "Britons" is for liberally-minded English or assimilated non-English, which is what you are if you're non-English but a member of the English church. (Unless you're an American and call yourself an Anglican, which just means you're trying to glom onto the dying aura of English cultural capital. This seems to more thinkable in the US, because there are no unfashionable fundies in your midst you have to apologize for.)

Wow.

I am deeply honoured by being singled out for such attention.

All that ****ocks, just for me.

[Heart] [Heart]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First instalment coming up:

[Projectile] [Puke] [Projectile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never come across such stupidity masquerading as intelligence in all my life.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hercule
Apprentice
# 2943

- Posted      Profile for Hercule   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have never come across such stupidity masquerading as intelligence in all my life.
My feelings exactly. ;!

Erin:
quote:
You* just pull this right out of your ass, don't you*? Since when are you* the arbiter of cultural and national identities?
What are you saying? Do I need some kind of mandate from the masses? Or if a couple of monarchs pull a church out of their asses, that's how it's done? Well why not me too?

BTW, Your alligator snarl is SO pretty when you're indignant.

Woodie:
quote:
...if you mean the Church OF England, then you're not talking to everyone here.
uh yeah, that was like subtley implied in
quote:
"you" is you-all in the English church
I'm disappointed. You keep taking all the stock potshots I'm handing you. Would I have more credibility in your eyes if I said I got a britrail pass in 1995 and toured all over the UK? I even kept a journal. It has a special section on "native religions" which will soon become an international best-seller.

Not sure I can agree with this: Academics in the "field" of "postgrad research"
"don't stage ... argument[s] without knowing what [they're] bloody well talking about." Maybe it's just my American anti-intellectualism, so I'll grant you your refreshing optimism. Maybe you weren't thinking about the specific fields of literature and lit. theory. British academics in these fields have really pioneered the use of the anal speculum.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood!! He spent time traveling in the UK!! Well, he's clearly the expert. I mean, all you ignorant, deluded limeys need to just shut up and bask in the wisdom syaogng hewotu-weytbnslh gleaned in the all-important junior year abroad.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, Scynog-Wotsit, do you imagine that a 'monstrous regiment' is a helluva lotta people, or are you reallysaying that monstrous English evangelical bashers kick ass, as your thread title actually implies?? [Sunny]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MadFarmer
Shipmate
# 2940

- Posted      Profile for MadFarmer   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
scyndan heofon-cyning,

... can I call you "serpy" for short or something?

I'm not sure I understand what, if all you're saying is that there are fundy-types posting here, just as there are fundy-types in the U.S. southeast, ummm, what is the point, exactly?

quote:
I rarely think about it as it is today at any length except that it's bizarre and clearly going down the crapper.
How is it going down the crapper any more than any other church?

quote:
Or if a couple of monarchs pull a church out of their asses, that's how it's done?
Haven't all churches been pulled out of some rich/powerful guy/nation's ass? I mean the RCC was pulled out of Constantine's ass.

I just don't get the meat of what your criticism is exactly. That some of the people who post here are conservative?

-le

--------------------
Where have I been? Busy, busy.

Posts: 537 | From: Yellow Springs, OH, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hercule
Apprentice
# 2943

What's important is what YOU think I'm saying. And how you feel about your mother.

Erin, Don't underestimate my perceptivity as a post-collegiate backpacker.

--------------------
Let them hate, so long as they fear
-Accius

He collected audiences around him, and flourished and exhibited and harangued -Aesop

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

tomb surveys the most recent "sharing" and shakes his head. Somethin' turrible happened to that boy when he was bein' potty trained.

But he will return to the previous post, which has not yet been suitably mined for joy:

quote:

.... a certain breed of evangelical-fundy asshead was not unique to North America. At the time I was living down south, and I had believed the stereotype that the Great American Bible Belt safeguards all that is batshit-cazy in Protestantism. There is a lot of truth to that, but the lines aren't drawn as starkly as I once thought. (This was also before I had ever heard of Ian Paisley, mind you.) ... I realized that American evangelicalism and its discontents are mirrored quite a bit in England's church and its postcolonial subsidiaries worldwide...

Well, if you had paid attention to the Evangelical Thread that started all this, you would have figured out from posts by other Americans that we don't have a clue about how tensions between the various parties of the English established church are played out. The fact that you are willing to raise the strawman of Southern U.S. fundamentalism demonstrates your profound provincialism here.

quote:
Sorry, I didn't do a comprehensive reading of the site in the hours I was online, but I figured that would give dinks a chance to play the "didja read" opening: e.g., "didja read the freakin' faq, didja read Small Fire, have you absorbed the idea of Restless Christian Narcissism?"
We're really just a springboard for you, aren't we? We're a place where you can spout all sorts of nastiness and expect a predictable response.

During your auspicious academic career, you seem to have learned quite a lot about adopting a sneering tone in debate. You don't seem to have absorbed much in the way of the humanizing influences that such study has traditionally brought to its devotees. You remind me of the antithesis of Chaucer's Knight:

quote:

And though that he were worthy, he was not wys...

I find myself frankly astonished that in your mind you have managed to dehumanize a community of several thousand people. I would have expected better of someone with your obvious intelligence.

There are two directions you can go now.

Either you can apologize (I would suggest that you do this by multiple PMs to people you have savaged individually, as well as a general apology to this thread)...

...or you can write us off as "dinks." In which case it would probably be better if you didn't come around any more, because, entertaining as you have been, o thou hastener of heaven's king, your kind of entertainment pales rather quickly.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

[engage host mode]

Shipmates: please do not reply to any posts on this thread.

Reference my post above and the request for an apology.

[host mode off]

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Would I have more credibility in your eyes if I said I got a britrail pass in 1995 and toured all over the UK? I even kept a journal. It has a special section on "native religions" which will soon become an international best-seller.

Delusions of Grandeur !

(Clarissa explains it all) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops - so sorry Tomb. I didn't do a refresh before replying and didn't see your directive til after my post came up.

[Frown]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must....not...type...what...I....want...to...type...

more talk about fundies...and I am going to lose it......and say something unchristian...

I enjoyed the kicks y'all gave...sinner I am.

I MUST POINT OUT:

Now you all know how I feel when Brits and other talk about "the election" in Florida with an air of auth-or-i-ty when they DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE. Sorry...couldn't help it...but that was another thread...

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry tomb...I thougth you meant your post only for some reason...

I can't delete my post...sigh.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Wood
# 7

quote:
Woodie: Would I have more credibility in your eyes if I said I got a britrail pass in 1995 and toured all over the UK? I even kept a journal. It has a special section on "native religions" which will soon become an international best-seller.

Wow. That so gets me on your side.

By the way, if you're talking about the Church of England/The Anglican church, would you mind calling it that.

Incomprehensibility is not a defence. And no, not even in academia.

quote:
Not sure I can agree with this: Academics in the "field" of "postgrad research"
"don't stage ... argument[s] without knowing what [they're] bloody well talking about." Maybe it's just my American anti-intellectualism, so I'll grant you your refreshing optimism. Maybe you weren't thinking about the specific fields of literature and lit. theory. British academics in these fields have really pioneered the use of the anal speculum.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of literary criticism, since, in fact, my thesis, which offers a post-structuralist narratology of religious conversion in six ancient and medieval latin narratives is now complete and will be subitted some time in the next three weeks.

So don't talk to me about "British Academics", sunshine. I am one.

And frankly, if you can't communicate an idea in a manner which a) can be understood by anyone speaking (roughly) the same lingo and b)demonstrates that you do know what you're talking about and have done the required work, then frankly your degree ain't worth the fancy paper it's printed on.

Don't waste your breath waving around your pseudo-academic credentials, snotwad, if you haven't got anything to really show, because there's nothing I like better than deflating a pseudo intellectual.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:

Now you all know how I feel when Brits and other talk about "the election" in Florida with an air of auth-or-i-ty when they DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE. Sorry...couldn't help it...but that was another thread...

You fail to understand that British people in fact speak with authority on every subject.

Didn't you know that?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
What's important is what YOU think I'm saying. And how you feel about your mother.

Erin, Don't underestimate my perceptivity as a post-collegiate backpacker.

Trust me. She isn't.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
[Razz] (uncontrollable snickering at all the (unintentional?) double-entendres -- "pillars of bollocks," "thickie," "toy... shot his wad," "masochistic," etc.)

I'll have you know we sweat long and hard over our double entendres.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
[engage host mode]

Shipmates: please do not reply to any posts on this thread.

Reference my post above and the request for an apology.

[host mode off]

Oops.

--------------------
Narcissism.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Oooops, indeed.

Well, I have decided that S-HC is a troll. Yes, yes, I understand. No applause necesarry, and you there in the back row, stop throwing roses. One of those thorns nearly put my eye out.

The guy hasn't replied either to the request for an apology here or in the private message I sent him.

Feel free to have at him here to your hearts' content. I suspect an admin will be pitching him overboard any time now, so you may or may not get an answer.

Pleasant morning here. The sun is shining. There are sirens going off in the distance, and the dog is howling on the roof.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, just 2 things:

1. (WARNING: dirty word ahead) Does his name mean "scintillating heaving cunt"?

2. Yes, there are archetypal metaphors. We call them Icons. [Big Grin]

That is all.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Not with this guy's qualifications.)

I think what we have learnt is that a talk delivered at Borders Books and a Britrail Pass do not qualifications make.

Nor does facility with potty analogies make one witty, insightful, humorous, clever, or perceptive.

I doubt he will be back.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
This seems to more thinkable in the US, because there are no unfashionable fundies in your midst you have to apologize for.)

I admit I should have been clearer; I wasn't trying to imply that the Oxford yobs I ran into were representative of the whole English church. Just that the experience impressed upon me the fact that a certain breed of evangelical-fundy asshead was not unique to North America. At the time I was living down south, and I had believed the stereotype that the Great American Bible Belt safeguards all that is bat****-cazy in Protestantism.

As a batsheet-crazy fundy with lots of British blood who used to live in the South, I intend to dance all over your ignorant head...

Ahem...

tap-tap-da-da-tap-tap-smash! tap-tap-take-that-lil'-back-packer... smash...smash...smash..ouch...stop... no...dance.-de-de-de-tap-tap..

I am usually nice... but since I bat-sheet-crazy... I am dancing on your ignorant head... smash-smash-smash...

[Play Elton's Tiny Dancer song here...]

[Projectile] [Yipee]

(me barfing towards you)

[ 26 June 2002, 20:13: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
You fail to understand that British people in fact speak with authority on every subject.

Didn't you know that?

[Big Grin]

As long as they stay away from telling us what our politicians should be doing... [Wink] (AND I might add...do not feel Tammy Faye Bakker and the rest of her gang represent the whole United States when it comes to being "fundy")...then it's alright with me.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ROTFLOL, duchess!

Oh, btw, I was born on an island in the Bay of Fundy - does that make me a "fashionable Fundy"?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
[Play Elton's Tiny Dancer song here...]

Thanks a helluvalot, Duchess. Now I've got that stupid song stuck in my head.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking in my official role here ...

No, we won't be tossing scyndan heofon-cyning overboard. He hasn't done anything but be a jerk, and if we tossed all the jerks out of hell, it would be a cold and lonely place. Yes, being a jerk is a violation of the ship's first commandment, but as the guidelines for hell point out, hell is different. IRL, it has traditionally been held that you go to hell because you have sinned unforgivably, but on the ship, you go to hell because you want to sin. Gotta give scyndan heofon-cyning credit - he posted on the right board.

RuthW
Member Administrator

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
...do not feel Tammy Faye Bakker and the rest of her gang represent the whole United States when it comes to being "fundy" ...

I'm pretty confident she isn't regarded that way anymore. Alas, I missed seeing her at DC Gay Pride this year, but it would have been fun. She apparently even judged a Tammy Faye lookalike drag contest as well this year!

Interview with Tammy Faye Bakker-Messner in Metro Weekly, a local (DC) gay newspaper

Interview with The Advocate, a U.S. gay magazine

"The two Christmases when my husband was in jail, it was the gay guys that took care of me. ... They cared about me more than the Christians cared about me [begins to cry], and that says something to me right there."

"Advocate: The fact that you did this film and are talking to a gay and lesbian magazine—how do you feel the Christian community is going to respond?
I don’t care. It doesn’t make any difference to me because I don’t answer to the Christian community; I answer to God."

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

For Mousethief (pls sing along with me..*ah-ah-ahem*)

Jesus freaks out in the street
Handing tickets out for God
<snip!>
Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway..

[Angel]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
ROTFLOL, duchess!

Oh, btw, I was born on an island in the Bay of Fundy - does that make me a "fashionable Fundy"?

Well, I may not live in Canada, but according a book I read...you are a "Island Fundamentalist" aka "Island Fundy". This means you sit around drinking beer going "How aBOOT those Sharks, aye? They ain't so bad! I like 'em! Wish they'd move OOOT of San Jose and come up here to Ottawa and be our team. I also wish Tammy Faye Bakker was single...I'd take "er Ooot to a hockey game, aye"..love her! Love her! Just love her!"

Don't argue with me, I am an EXPERT on Canandians.
I have also studied Don Cherry...got my degree in Don Cherrism.

[Angel]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

ChastMastr, it is good to see Tammy see gays as people, that is for sure. [Wink]

--------------------

MadFarmer
Shipmate
# 2940

- Posted      Profile for MadFarmer   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[quote]Now you all know how I feel when Brits and other talk about "the election" in Florida with an air of auth-or-i-ty when they DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE.{/quote]

duchess, does it smart to know that the whole rest of the world agrees with the 51% of us Yanks who got swindled by the "election"* in Florida?

-le

*DISCLAIMER: Term "election" used loosely. No actual democratic process is implied by the use of this term. See other related terms: "nepotism", "jerrymandering", "racism", "usurp", "unconstitutionally court-appointed brainless halfwit".

--------------------
Where have I been? Busy, busy.

Posts: 537 | From: Yellow Springs, OH, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

But say, Locust-Eater, tell us how you REALLY feel. [Big Grin]

Reader Alexis

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Locust brother, I ain't going THERE...it is a long winding road, talking about Gore's telemarketing and the fact the butterfly ballot was designed by a DEMOCRAT and approved by DEMOCRAT leaders in Florida...all a very very tired subject. Whoops! I let some venum slip in...

Anyhoo, the rest of the world is a difficult figure to measure in statistics, ain't it? Oh, you mean the PRESS? Well, gosh-golly..all those platitudes from the Liberal Left make us Meanie-Conservatives look like such uncaring meanies!

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Errr, guys, could we leave out the dead horse political discussion and get back to insulting Mr. Arsebiscuits?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
duchess - you are in fine form today!

Mr. Eater, aren't you glad that you had 49% of us and the US Constitution to prevent you from making a horrible mistake? [Snigger]

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, my fellow Amuricans, there is a Deus ex Machina. [Razz]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
locust-eater:

you preach it brother! amen!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hercule
Apprentice
# 2943

Apparently posting less than 12 hours per post here makes people think you've died or something. Sorry, I have a real life y'know? I was posting early this AM but got wiped out by a brownout and then had to go do some church work. So, back from the dead, I have to face these most serious charges against me. The Coot and Tomb want me to "recant" and "apologize" for something, maybe everything. Let me try to get a bit more specific than that.

1) being a jerk.

OK, well you got me there. Call it an experiment, like poking sticks into the tiger cage. Crude fun at the expense of poor tigers with more important work to do than post in hell, something they never relish. Such a restrained and staid lot whose upstanding conduct makes me most ashamed of myself.

(I do wish to point out that the britrail remarks were supposed to reek of self-deprecating sarcasm. And the thing about British Airways is true. Or it was a few years ago.)

2) "We're really just a springboard for you, aren't we? We're a place where you can spout all sorts of nastiness and expect a predictable response."

Guilty as charged, although the "we" might be in the eye of the beholder--i.e., those whose egos have acquired an extraordinarily strong cathexis with SoF. "Nastiness" might be a bit strong, but apparently some people were hurt. Victims were victimized. Blood in the streets. I am truly sorry.

3) dehumanizing a community of several thousand people. And as Tomb reminds me, "If you prick us, do we not bleed?"

That seems a bit strong too, but maybe some humanities are shakier than others. I should be respectful of the anemic brother. <bang board against head.>

4) savaging individuals individually

If those who feel they have been individually savaged step forward, I will prostrate myself and grovel until they feel better.

5) Attacking SoF in general

I think that's a leap and wasn't my intention. But again, I'm sorry. I should have thought first, waiting until my heart was full of compassion and sympathy. <bang head again.>

6) Carrying the conversation to a frightening level of escalation.

All my fault. People couldn't help themselves against my onslaught of about 4 (?) posts. I feel your pain brothers and sisters. I have sinned, even in hell.

Earlier, I read Ms. Dree-Smith's posts, and I think I understand her now. She appear to speak for the majority, or at least a substantial group whose needs and desires I now wish to respect. From now on I will try desperately hard to be nice. Sorry for the inconvenience.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Ok...I will stop the dance.

Scot, GO BROTHER GO!!! [Big Grin] (sorry Wood)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016