homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey George, when did you become a saint? Was it a 2 for 1 deal that came with ordination?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

- Posted      Profile for George in Montreal   Email George in Montreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sven is alive and well in Saint Lambert, Quebec and happy to be out of his shipping box! He is alread hard at work learning the words to O Canada in both official languages.

And babybear, I sadly cannot claim that my town of residence was named after me in thanksgiving for my presence, moral rectitude (hah!) or sober good living.

While Saint Lambert, or so I have been told, was an obscure Bishop from Belgium who was martyred for some reason in the early middle ages, the town is really named in honour of Lambert Close, an early adventurer in French Quebec who ended up owning a huge chunk of land hereabout.

Stay tuned for Sven's Canadian exploits!

George in Montreal (well, really in suburban Saint Lambert

Posts: 32 | From: Saint Lambert, Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvellous!

By the way - if you've got photies, send them to me as soon as you can, because there will soon be a Sven's Travels special coming up...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

- Posted      Profile for George in Montreal   Email George in Montreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cautionary note to people shipping Sven internationally. It cost me $12.30 to bail Sven out of postal jail when he arrived in Canada due, in large measure, to the high ethical standards of his previous hostess.

Elizabeth followed the letter of law, writing on the customs form that Sven was worth $15 US (although we all know he is really priceless) and that he was accompanied by $15 worth of goodies picked up along the way. She also wrapped and shipped him very professionally. So professionally, it would appear, that Canada Customs decided that I was buying Sven and charged GST & PST (VAT) and a $5 handling fee.

A suggestion: perhaps describing Sven as "gift -- used stuffed animal with no commercial value" would also be telling the truth and might arouse less interest from authorities thereby saving the next recipient some money. Obviously this only applies when he is being shipped internationally.

Oh yes, Sven slept well, but I am a little concerned that the level of the contents in my bottle of single malt seems to have dropped significantly overnight....

Posts: 32 | From: Saint Lambert, Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, George, I am so sorry. I never realized the Canadian government would be so narky about the importation of a stuffed moose. I did clearly check the "gift" box on the customs form.

I shall reimburse you, of course, as it was my error.

And Wood, please don't be offended that I valued Wood at only $15US. I realize that no price could ever be put on his moosey little being, but think how awful for poor George if I had put down thousands and thousands.

International money order heading your way, George.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry, Elizabeth

Actually, Sven cost me 50p (that's about 85 cents, last time I checked) in a sale at IKEA.

You value him anyway you like, guys.

Just don't tell him how much. he gets touchy

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Sven's Itinereararereraa continues to grow.

Kirsten (CA)
RuthW (CA)
Siegfried (CA)
JB (New Mexico)
Rachel Lam (MN)
Tom 'The Gimp' Beckwith (CO)
Nicolemrw (NY)

--------------------
Narcissism.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
will the UK ever see the moose?

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, considering how many folks come to California and then never go back to where they came from ...

But Sven will get a little reminder of the UK when he visits me -- I'm going to take him to see the Queen Mary, which is in the harbor here in Long Beach -- so if you're lucky he'll get a bit homesick and start agitating to be returned to the UK.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got pics of Sven, but I don't know how to work the image thing yet! Somebody help!

FJ

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

You can email them to me and I'll put them up.

By the way - email all pictures to me anyway. I'm currently compiling a Sven gallery for publication somewhere on the Ship.

--------------------
Narcissism.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ChrisT wrote and sang with Gill H a lovely little ditty about Sven. I wonder if he might post the lyrics here.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'ditty' will be released for public consumption at the appropriate time, when recordings have been completed.

Ditty, indeed! Did you hear the horn-work on the tape?

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

An update as Sven's time in Montreal draws to a close. Our small friend has been to a picnic in Vermont, toured the Granby Zoo but didn't see any moose although he did watch two llamas copulate and was fascinated by the flamingos.

Sven also went to church (I'm sure this wasn't a first) but settled for a blessing rather than receiving communion.

He's suffering from heat prostration at the moment -- it has been 35 C (high 90s) for the last few days with nights of 27 C, so neither Sven nor his hosts have slept well.

Hopefully he'll find better weather and air quality when he reaches Kirsten in California!

Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a preview of the momento of Michigan that's traveling with Sven:

The Sven Moosepad

Actual size and shape are the regular moosepad dimensions.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When does he get introduced to Harold'n'Lars? And will Mr the Moose get offended?

Love
Angel

Wood
# 7

When he gets back, obviously.

Will he get offended? Dunno. haven't asked him.

Anyway, Kirsten: have you received Sven yet?

--------------------
Narcissism.

kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

- Posted      Profile for kirsten   Email kirsten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George will be mailing Sven to me tomorrow, so I should get him next week! Wahoooo! My new copy of "Martha Stewart's Guide to Entertaining Moose, Bovines, and Elk" just arrived, so I am busily experimenting with new recipes such as Chocolate Mousse for Moose, which not only includes chocolate, but nice quantities cud and moss and bits of raw salmon for that oh-so-important protein and dietary fiber.
Posts: 108 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I'm next after kirsten, right? Or am I confused?
Wood
# 7

Yup. followed by JB, and then Siegfried.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

In fact, this seems to be a good point to remind us how the remainder of Sven's tour will go:

Kirsten (California)
RuthW (California)
Rachel Lam (Minnesota)
Tomb (Colorado)
nicolemrw (NY)

And at some point will cross the ocean to:

Brickbat (Plymouth)
Starbelly and Amanda (Exeter)
Sean and Bronwyn (Exeter)
Wibblethorpe (Eastbourne)
Beethoven (Abingdon, Oxfordshire)

Maddie (Basildon, Essex)
Clare (Sheffield)
Lev (Manchester)
Oodzook (Crewe)
Angel (Newcastle?)
Chris ‘Teaboy’ Taylor (Batley, West
Yorkshire)
Pam Smith (Coventry)
'Frin (in marital bliss, presumably )
Carys (Dudley?)
Babybear (Denbigh, and not Tenby as you may otherwise have thought )
Rosemary (Cardiff)

And then to meet the Swansea massive:
Chalky
nessa
The Hapless Boy Rhys
Wood and Tracy

Nicole, this may mean that you'll have to stump up for airmail. We can reimburse you if you like.

I haven't missed anyone, have I?

If you want to be included, you know what to do.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh.. yeah.. you left me off this list.. and it looks like JB as well.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George in Montreal
Apprentice
# 153

Awash with guilt, I posted Sven to Kirsten earlier this afternoon, comfortably nestled in the bubble wrap so thoughtfully provided by Beth.

He's travelling by air, so he should be snuffling the fresh Pacific breezes by early next week.

I hope Kirsten can understand him -- he's now speaking English with this weird combination of Swedish and French-Canadian accent..

Mea culpa..maxima mea culpa...but the journey continues.

Wood
# 7

Damn. Siegfried, you're right.

You go after RuthW, and JB goes next. Then the list carries on.

--------------------
Narcissism.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood. So nice to see you have got my name right on the revised list.

If Sven arrives before the snow flies, we have a mountain expedition planned. I thought we'd climb a 14er and perhaps see some longhorn sheep on the slopes of Mt. Bierstadt. If he arrives later in the season, we shall go to Rocky Mountain National Park to hear the Elk bugle.

Renee, what think'st thou of a regional Shipmeet in honor of Sven?

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds great, since we skipped St. Simeon's day this year. If I had known you were interested in hosting Sven, I'd have sent him on down the road to you when I had him a few weeks ago.

R.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I know. I was too busy setting Wood on fire in hell (has a nice ring to it, that: "Wood on fire") to worry about his familiar. But I sent him (Wood, not Sven) an e-mail, and I'm on the list. I'm even gonna get Sven a Colorado Mountain Club pin, and if I can finesse it, an honorary membership in the CMC. It will be the first time a non-human species has been so honored, though the way some of those guys have hair growing out of their ears, that may be debatable. Relatives of Dr. Zairus, no doubt.

When Sven arrives is up in the air, but I hope it will be at least by the end of September, and perhaps we can have a shipmeet up at the cabin when the aspen are turning. We can announce the transference of St. Simeon's feast day to whatever day is convenient, eat beans, and generally cavort in an appropriate SoF fashion. Shoot, I go to a parish so low it even anticipates major feasts and celebrates them on Sunday, which sorely travails my little anglo-catholic soul; so a transferred feast will be a model of propriety.

When the date gets closer, I'll announce it on the board and let you know so you can call shipmates.

We'll have a grand old time.

tomb

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... looking at my calendar, it appears that I'll be hosting Sven over the weekend of August 24th. Lucky Sven! He'll get to come camping up in the redwoods with me!!

--------------------
Siegfried

Wood
# 7

That all depends on whehter Kirsten has received him or not...

--------------------
Narcissism.

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's sven and what's he doing?

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

- Posted      Profile for kirsten   Email kirsten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I checked yesterday, and so far he hasn't arrived from Canada. So, he is somewhere between Montreal and the Central Coast of California, so that pinpoints our search quite a bit, should we need to send a rescue party.
kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

Wooooooooohooooooo! Sven has arrived at the Left Coast! Waxing down the mooseboard, rubbing in some Bronze Antler-Hunk moose suntan oil, and getting ready to rock and roll in the Pacific Ocean!!!
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

So, is he hopping over the Santa Cruz mountains to San Jose next, or zipping down to LA and then back up to the bay?

--------------------
Siegfried

kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

I don't know! I thought I was supposed to send him to Ruth, but the list that was posted earlier is missing your name. ??? So, if Wood will let me know by the 20th, I'll mail him next Monday. (Sieg, if you are next, we could probably do a live hand-off, a passing o' the moose, since I'll be in SJ next week)
RuthW

# 13

Makes no difference to me ... and if you do a live hand-off, can you get someone to take a picture?
Wood
# 7

Damn. Don't tell me I missed Sieg as well?

We could do Siegfried, and RuthW next, then... then JB in New Mexico, if my geography is not completely wrong...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

A live hand-off could probably be arranged--what do you think Kirsten?

Sieg

kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

It must be done! We could start a mythic tradition, "The Tossin' o' de Moose."
"Aye, lassie, I was there at the Tossin' in Ot One... a fine, sunny day, we tossed the moose over...er...a Gigantic, horrifying reproduction of Quetzalcoatl, then drank our mead and had lunch at (???) ...(isn't there an Italian place right there? where the St. Claire Hilton is????--anyway, screwing up the mythic thing---And then we proceeded to down mountains of pasta and get Sven drunk on Merlot."

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

One of the three Starbucks in downtown SJ is right there. Do you think Sven is a latte type of moose, or more of a cappucino sort?

Sieg

kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

Well, he thought quite highly of our double mocha latte this morning. He gave a consescending snort to the people ahead of us in line who ordered decaf lattes with soy milk, so I am suspecting that he is a bit of a traditionalist.
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well since he has lived with Wood in Britain for so long - I think he really prefers tea - especially since his baptism. Though I think tea is better for drinking than for total immersion.

Rosemary

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

rosemary, Sven's in America now -- he'll probably learn to drink coffee at least as long as he's here. I'll make him tea at home, but when we go out, I'll caution him not to order tea. Around here if you order tea, they bring hot but not boiling water in a little pot and a selection of teabags. Sometimes they forget to bring the teabags, and you sit there with the water cooling, waiting for the basket of tea bags to arrive so you can choose one, hastily tear off the wrapper, and plunk it in your now only barely hot water.

Trust me, Siegfried and kirsten are doing the right thing!

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My experience of coffee and tea in the USA has been that they get it the wrong way round. They make coffee with boiling water, scorching the grounds, when it ought to be 92 degrees C. And tea is made with the sort of water best suited to coffee.

Neither taste great. (this was in Chicago - tried a few different places - the italian owned one was the best, and NYC)

Love
AotN

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell you from experience that Sven is very fond of Chianti, in fact he rather over-indulged at a shipmeet in Covent Garden.

So better make that a full-strength espresso.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Angel, I'll admit that most tea in the US is made all wrong. But the coffeehouses generally know how to make coffee, at least in my neck of the woods. The ones that serve substandard coffee are usually buying icky beans, not brewing it wrong.
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

A few places were using lovely beans - I could smell them. It's the peculiar bitterness that gave it away as being the water.

Love
Angel

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Well, actually it looks like the hand-off will be over smoothies at Jamba Juice. What could be more Bay Area than that? Wait--don't answer that!!

Sieg

kirsten
Shipmate
# 26

I don't think the Jamba Juice folks will have any problem with Sven's special dietary needs...what's the difference between adding wheatgrass juice or pulverized alfalfa sprouts and cud? We might have to pay extra for a salt lick, though.
Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Well, actually it looks like the hand-off will be over smoothies at Jamba Juice. What could be more Bay Area than that?

Wait till the little critter get's to Manchester!! I have a digital camera, Manchester has a thriving gay nightlife, I know some excellent joints... and I will finally have Sven blackmail pictures!!!! ::Lev throws his head back and cackles demonically "Mwuahahahahahaha!!!!"::

....Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Careful with the alfalfa sprouts, Kirsten. Sven might eat too many and founder and end up mincing on sore hooves. It could be taken wrong. Lev would enjoy that, I daresay.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016