homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose
Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Wood,

About a year ago or so I was about 7th in the list to have "his mooseness" in Manchester... now I know he's had an atlantic detour, but any chance of him coming to Manchester this Summer? I have plans for the poor little thing! ::evil grin::

Love, pixies, and mooses!

....Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You never know.

You know, this is possibly the oldest thread still currently running...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it is basically a continuation of a thread that was on the old boards.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sven is no en route to his next destination. the post office tells me he should arrive in 2-3 days.

there will be more pictures soon, too.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ooops, that should have been "now" en route, not "no" on route!

however, what i really wanted to say was there is now one more picture at my sven album. once again, click on "friends" the "svens trip", and the second picture on the second page is sven enjoying my daughters basketball practice last week.

tomorrow i will probably have the last ones ready.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

ok, now it can be revealed... the reason why i had sven for so long was.... he refused to leave until he'd seen the statue of liberty. do you know how hard it is to stuff a moose into a shipping box if he doesn't want to go? so on sunday after church, we went to the statue of liberty.

once again, pictures are at this site, click friends then svens visit. the new ones are all on the second page, they start with the third picture.

we took the long island railroad from bayside where my church is rather than the bus for the sake of speed. you can see two pictures of sven looking out the train window. the second one shows a bit of flushing. the train took us to penn station, and we took the subway form there. sadly the pic of sven on the subway didn't come out for some reason. from battery park you take a ferry to liberty island.

a few words here about our current situation and the statue of liberty. liberty island is off the downtown end of manhatten. up until 9/11 the twin towers loomed over battery park, and were the major part of the skyline there. now there is far to much open sky, and more tourists taking pictures of what isn't there then of what still is. since 9/11 the statue has been closed to visitors. liberty island itself was reopened only recently, and boarding the ferry has the same security as an airplane now... bags must be x-rayed, people must go through metal detectors. a handful of change in my daughter's pocket set off the metal detector and she was wanded. it was a very strange sensation to go through all this.

but eventually we got on the ferry (picture 5 on the page), and got underway. the statue of liberty is a very potent symbol of both my country and my city to me, and i'm not ashamed to admit there were tears on my face as we approached the island. we walked around the statue (picture 6) and sven was very impressed (picture 7). we took time to read the historical material, and sven was particularly impressed byt the one relating to the symbols of liberty, especially the emma lazerus poem, the new colossus, (the one with "give me your poor...." etc). (pictures 8 and 9)

at that point once again the vampires struck the batteries in my camera, so alas i do not have pictures of the rest of the day. after the statue of liberty we returned to battery park and walked around for awhile, looking at the momuments there. sven was impressed by a man feeding the pigeons and squirrels, and was unhappy that we couldn't find the norwegian maritime monument, whatever that is... it was on the map, but not in the park.

after battery park, we found the financial district bull statue, and sven was impressed (its a several times larger than life statue of a charging bull... as in "a bull market")

our last stop of the day was grand central station, and the site thats being called "new york's wailing wall", the 9/11 memorial site established by the mta (mass transit authority).

and that was it for svens trip, except that on monday he went to school with my daughter and had a few words to the class at show and tell time. the teacher was quite impressed!

sven was packed up in the same box he arrived in, which is starting to be a bit small now, along with all his souvenirs, including his new york ones, and departed around 4:00 pm tuesday.

i already miss the little dear....

--------------------

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Nicole. They're all excellent. They are.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

While we're waiting for Sven to make his way back over the Atlantic ocean, here's - finally - some pictures of Sven's time with Sara Strand in Woodstock, CT.

Sven's day at the cleaners #1

Sven's day at the cleaners #2

Sven gets excited about the superbowl

Sven gets a bit lost on superbowl day

Sven hangs out with some relatives

On top of the world

getting ready to move on

Sven plays the blues

Sven on a boat

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Sven the moose is now on his way across the Atlantic, back to Wales, after over a year abroad.

When he arrives, he'll spend a few days at ours, and then continue his journey, this time around Britain.

Would those people who still want a visit from Sven the Moose in the UK post here?

--------------------
Narcissism.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please!

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Wood, are you going to send him with what I can only describe as the most impressive collection of crap that I have ever seen?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood-
Could you post an inventory (or maybe photos) of what Sven brought back with him?

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm not in the UK, but I had requested a moose toss at the Bruges shipmeet (which I never got to) or maybe the tulip season. The tulip season might still be possible, only I'm not sure if that would be spring '03 or '04 now. I don't suppose he'll be anywhere near North Wales in the next month and a half? I might at least be able to meet him then, even if he doesn't come and visit.

Cuttle.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No world trip would be complete without a trip to Denbigh.

I am sad however that Sven didn't manage to go back to visit tomb and get taken to visit the pope.

Is Sven going Ozzie at any point?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not sure that Herts. is the centre of the universe or anything, but Sven is very welcome here if he still wishes to visit. If he times it right, he may get a boat trip out of it..

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still up for a visit from the little one - even if I'm no longer in Aber - nor even Dudley - but in Cambridge!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to bow out I'm afraid.

I'll probably be of No Fixed Abode at some point over next few weeks/months. And of No Bloody Job. Plus, I don't have a scanner.

Sorry Sven. You'll have to seek your thrills elsewhere.

Bongo

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
So Wood, are you going to send him with what I can only describe as the most impressive collection of crap that I have ever seen?

I still haven't seen it... but I suspect that to save on the postage, I'll be justs sending on the Antlered One...

--------------------
Narcissism.

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
he's still very welcome in sheffield!

clare

(new address, pm me when you need it)

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Sven wants to come to Nottingham, I'd love to show him around, and introduce him to the Robin Hood statue, etc etc.

Kirsti

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still haven't got our cat - so Sven welcome to come to us!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

OK.

This, if I am not mistaken, is possibly the chronologically longest thread to have hit the board so far.

But all things must come to an end. Now that Sven's back, shall we start a new one (and, of course, archive this one, hosts, please, pretty please )?

I think so...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you will have to cross me off the list too. Life is on a day to day basis at present. I can't make any plans for the future.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016