homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: mesmerised by the vicars legs? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: mesmerised by the vicars legs?
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

.... How on earth are any of us to think of our spiritual lives while they waft fragrantly about the church on their stork-like legs mesmerising people?

And thank God he wasn't anglo-catholic, or he might have been smoking, as well.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he is Anglo catholic he was looking quite high church in todays newspaper.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

<snip!>This is just the sort of statement that shows why men should not be ordained. Far too distracting. How on earth are any of us to think of our spiritual lives while they waft fragrantly about the church on their stork-like legs mesmerising people?

Arrietty, you have killed me here! LOL! I picture John Cleese walking his silly-walk walk...and we all can not listen to any sermon since we are so fascinated by his stork-like legs? Watch out for the spider men! Hehe. [Big Grin]

[your UBB sins are dealt with and forgiven]

[ 08. September 2002, 23:03: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh gosh...I forgot to preview my code...pls forgive me! [Waterworks]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Sarajane
Shipmate
# 1642

- Posted      Profile for Sarajane   Email Sarajane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So just what is it about vicars, girls?

The only vicars I know are either a) a nice old codger but distinctly unfanciable or b) female and complaining about the effect being a vicar has on their love life. Tell me- what delights are we Friends missing out on? Haven't had a mesmerising leg for years, darlings!

Sarajane

--------------------
Still wondering.....

Posts: 97 | From: half way up the mountain | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean, you are missing out on the droolable curates who wear Hawaiian shirts and shorts on their days off? Who turn out to be gay... *sigh*
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc, just a word of advice from my own experience. When you meet a man you like, always assume he's married, gay, or in a celibate holy order. Or possibly all three. Especially if he is kind, caring, sensitive, witty and fun to be with. It saves time.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
When you meet a man you like, always assume he's married, gay, or in a celibate holy order.

Unless, of course, you're gay, in which case the reverse applies. And in my case, not in a celibate holy order, but requiring a specifically sexual relationship, which lets me out.

(Actually, I've only met a few gay priests via online personals ads thus far, but I'm very happy to have left personals ads behind for the most part as it wasted my time utterly. And sorry to say, but the clergy I met via those ads were every bit as unreliable and flaky as all the other people I met via those ads.)

David
isn't making any of this up

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

[modified version...he-he]

He's got legs, he knows how to use them.
He never begs, he knows how to choose them.
He's got a dime all of the time,
stays out at night movin' through time.
Oh, I want him, said, I got to have him,
the vicar's alright, he's alright.

[Snigger]

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is this the real reason for having priests vested up then? to hide their mesmerising legs under their surplices or cassocks? So is that why our clergy have to dress up as 1st century Romans (always seemed strange to me). I think we ought to be told.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welsh Dragon I think we have found the real reason why we still have robes for clergy we don't want the congreagion distracted by the mesmerising legs during worship.

I supect high church clergy legs are more mesmerising because they have more robes.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume that +Graham Dow (Carlisle) was chosen to ensure that the Episcopal bench had at least one certifiable lunatic, hence displaying the breadth of contemporary Anglicanism.

Being serious, what the hell is a fool like that doing as a Bishop ?
[Flaming] [Mad]

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

In what way has he been foolish in this instance?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah... being a generic American Christian, I don't get to see clergy-types in robes. 'Cept on TV. Seems, though, if the fellow doing the preaching would stay tamely behind a podium or altar, whatever y'all use, it wouldn't matter if he was naked from the waist down, you'd not know...

So then, do the troubles come in the end from the holy-makers coming down to earth to interact with the pew peons?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
I assume that +Graham Dow (Carlisle) was chosen to ensure that the Episcopal bench had at least one certifiable lunatic, hence displaying the breadth of contemporary Anglicanism.

Being serious, what the hell is a fool like that doing as a Bishop ?
[Flaming] [Mad]

I am becoming seriously worried by this as it was Graham Dow (pre-episcopal) who married me - sorry, married me and my spouse. Could this be why I dreamt one night about my vicar preaching wearing a black corset, suspender belt and black stockings, a la Tim Curry in Rocky Horror show? [Eek!] Oh no, that was before I got married... what good luck I was never in Revd. Brown's parish.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tsk - what a nasty group of people you are for mentioning Bishops opining about 'rectal demons' and then fail to provide adequate references for the fact. *Did* a bishop, in fact, come forth with something about anal intercourse and its presumed connection with 'rectal demons' or was it a matter of 'he said she said' - in other words, an anecdote.

Enquiring minds want to know

Raspberry Rabbit
Montreal, QC

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

The said Bishop comes from the extreme end (terrible pun) of the charismatic spectrum. He is often credited with believing in rectal demons but whether he actually believes in them is another question.

Long before he became a Bishop I heard him say that demons were quite common. I heard him once when he was an Area Bishop and he seemed to have have become more moderate in his theology.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Long before he became a Bishop I heard him say that demons were quite common. I heard him once when he was an Area Bishop and he seemed to have have become more moderate in his theology.

Or he has been warned to keep his gob shut on the more outlandish aspects of his beliefs?

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he has been warned to keep everything shut... [Devil] Seriously, I have known Graham for thirty years and never heard him mention demons, not even in our marriage preparation. I am quite fond of Graham and don't wish to see him maligned - I think we ought to give him the benefit of the doubt (or would that be the benefice of the doubt? [Big Grin] And no, I've never seen his legs except in trousers.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have obviously been hanging out in the wrong diocese. The only time I have been mesmerized by any member of the clergy was during a Eucharist being celebrated by a curate in her last month of pregancy. I was terrified lest her alb and chasuble make her trip on the marble steps of the altar.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
I have known Graham for thirty years and never heard him mention demons

He wrote a Grove Booklet about deliverance in which demons featured quigte heavily, I don't recall any mention of rectums though! [Smile]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016