homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Bumper stickers they SHOULD display (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Bumper stickers they SHOULD display
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Typos, typos, typos - and I haven't even opened the wine yet.

Sorry folks.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mysticlisa

Ship's seer
# 2867

- Posted      Profile for mysticlisa   Author's homepage   Email mysticlisa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few of my favs from Northernsun:

"Doing my part to piss of the religious right"

"That was zen, this is tao"

"Jesus is a liberal"

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes"

"Eve was framed"

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

--------------------
"More things are wrought by prayer
than this world dreams of."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Posts: 483 | From: my laptop | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Unkl Davy
Shipmate
# 2777

- Posted      Profile for Unkl Davy   Author's homepage   Email Unkl Davy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I brake for tailgaters.
Posts: 216 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
MadFarmer
Shipmate
# 2940

- Posted      Profile for MadFarmer   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thoughts worth thinking can't fit into this

-le

--------------------
Where have I been? Busy, busy.

Posts: 537 | From: Yellow Springs, OH, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ham n Eggs, with all due respect, those signs appeared before my kids were born, which means they date back 20 years or so. While they might have accrued the emergency use you describe in some places, I have never heard of this.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the nonsequitor. I hit reply witout realizing that there was a second page.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I am aware that the meaning has probably been hijacked, which was precisely why the last sentance of my post was intended as irony.

Unfortunately, whilst I found it utterly hilarious, I guess that it will have completely mystified everyone else.

Doh! I should have stayed in my own head... [Frown]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Or write it! [Big Grin]

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen on the freeway in Colorado Springs, Colo. (the home of that notorious right-wing organization, Focus on the Family):

Focus on your own damn family.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mysticlisa

Ship's seer
# 2867

- Posted      Profile for mysticlisa   Author's homepage   Email mysticlisa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Seen on the freeway in Colorado Springs, Colo. (the home of that notorious right-wing organization, Focus on the Family):

Where can I get mine!! LOL

--------------------
"More things are wrought by prayer
than this world dreams of."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Posts: 483 | From: my laptop | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg, ham 'n eggs is right. i remember when those signs first came out. the person who "invented" them was reacting to an accident where a car contaianing two adults and a baby was in an accident. both the adults were killed instantly. the baby was overlooked by rescue workers. details escape me at this point, but it wasn't pretty.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticlisa:
quote:

Where can I get mine!! LOL
Here.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only it weren't so damned grammatically embarassing I might order one.

Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The author probably doesn't give a dam about the grammer or spelling.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moron's the pity.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst stuck behind a green panael van going about half the speed limit the other day, I thought of lots of potential bumper stickers (very pissed off I was).

However, I managed to keep my cool by reading the bumper stickers already on display. After seeing the usual ones, "Lost your cat? Check under my tyres" and "If this van's a-rockin' don't come a-knockin'" I saw the funniest one I had ever seen before. At the risk of ruining the thread, I have to share it with you.

"It's all fun and games until someone loses a hymen"

I apologise profusely for my extremely poor taste (and gutter sense of humour [Snigger] )

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, chastmastr, the bumper sticker I saw was white lettering on a solid red background.

I suspect the one you saw had been, er, tarted up for the audience.

And Mid, why the Thoreau quotation? Given your profession, I should have thought

quote:

I must go down to the sea again!
To the lonely sea and the sky.
And all I ask is a tall ship
And a star to steer her by....

would be more in your line of work.

Not that I really give a damn about symmetry when it comes to 19th century American romanticism, mind you....

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen on an old Toyota van:

"God made shit and Mazda made it move"

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian M
Shipmate
# 79

- Posted      Profile for Ian M   Author's homepage   Email Ian M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ham'n'Eggs, whatever its origins the popular understanding of 'Baby on Board' signs (ie. to warn off following traffic) is backed up by the full text of the one I saw last night on my way to a meeting at church:

Baby on Board - Keep your distance

Oh, maybe I should add that the sticker was from Mamas and Papas (the current in-vogue baby goods manufacturer) and the car was a very clean VW Golf V5.

Having a young baby myself, can I just say I wouldn't be seen dead with such a sticker - and yes I do mean that. Surely the hulking great child seat should be a fair indicator to emergency services?

Ian

Posts: 332 | From: Surbiton, Surrey, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I may be indicating left, and I may be going to turn left, but I'm going to swing out waaay to the right in front of you before I do so!"

(Swap the lefts & rights if you're in the US)

Love Ags
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simon 2
Shipmate
# 1524

- Posted      Profile for simon 2     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought somebody would have posted a link to the SUV sticker site.

I am helping to change the climate, stop me and ask how

--------------------
sorry for my spelling and bad gramma

Posts: 495 | From: in a forest | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Iestyn
Shipmate
# 2422

- Posted      Profile for Iestyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A small construction/scaffolding company on the south coast of England used to have a bumper sticker on all its vehicles which said "satisfaction with every erection"

--------------------
"And we'll be singing Hymns and Arias, Hen wlad fy nhadau, Ar hyd y nos"

Posts: 177 | From: South Wales | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be easier ways to start an urban myth... [Disappointed]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a sticker but
there was a removals firm Patel & Patel
whose slogan was
You've tried the Cowboys now try the Indians

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And Mid, why the Thoreau quotation? Given your profession, I should have thought

quote:

I must go down to the sea again!
To the lonely sea and the sky.
And all I ask is a tall ship
And a star to steer her by....

would be more in your line of work.

Not that I really give a damn about symmetry when it comes to 19th century American romanticism, mind you....

Have you ever tried to navigate a ship by astro-navigation? It's a real bugger, I can tell you. Give me a good old GPS any day!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

My ex has a sign on the back of her car saying,

"You call me a bitch as if it were a bad thing"

Kind of appropriate sometimes.....(hehehe - I gave it too her) [Snigger]

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iestyn:
A small construction/scaffolding company on the south coast of England used to have a bumper sticker on all its vehicles which said "satisfaction with every erection"

Not to mention the Removals Company from Maidenhead ...

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The number of times I've had to follow cars needing the bumper sticker, "I can't afford to replace my indicator bulbs until the recession's over."

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen recently in Bournemouth:

Thank you for parking so f*****g close; next time please provide a tin opener.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr. C
Apprentice
# 3302

- Posted      Profile for Dr. C   Author's homepage   Email Dr. C   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
The presence of these signs alerts ,the emergency serices> to the fact that there is probably a small body (possibly alive) to account for, so they need to take extra precautions with cutting gear etc.

Nope, if this were genuinely the case the glass of the back window would be the last place to put the sign as this would most likely be crunched in an accident, if it were still there at all. It would be more effective to have stickers on the metalwork of the door struts which is what will be cut through.

Parents invariably feel the need to boast about the fact they've had babies and this is just another way of doing it (to the complete stranger following you). If you must, boast about the fact you've brought up well rounded young adults in 20 years time, pretty much anyone can pop out a baby - it's really not that special.

--------------------
http://www.c-b-c.org.uk

Posts: 26 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. C:
pretty much anyone can pop out a baby - it's really not that special.

ANYONE?? [Eek!]

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look here: InternetBumperstickers

ROFLMAO....

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just read through this whole thread hoping to add my 'The Christian Right is neither' contribution to find I'd been pipped to the post. Ho hum, story of my life...

Anyway, welcome Monty Moose! I found it funny too.

I saw one today that said: Got a problem? Just try Jesus.

It left me wondering whether it was offering advice or the 'one upping' type of consolation that only really annoying people can manage.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Sorry for the nonsequitor. I hit reply witout realizing that there was a second page.

Ditto.

P.S. Double post aswell, sorry.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In all these years, I'd NEVER thought that "baby on board" was intended as an alert to the rescue personnel in case of accident; I'd always assumed it was to serve notice that it's okay for the car to be in the carpool lanes.

Wm Duncan

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a variant on "baby on board":

"mother-in-law in trunk" (boot in Oz).

My own favourites go thus:

"I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go"

and

"Mum's Taxi".

Yet another which used to grace the 1960 EK Holden belonging to a friend (this was a two-tone monster with tail fins, a 3-speed column shift and a clutch made for a gorilla):

"At least I own it".

cheers,

m ( ex-taxidriver for the tribe who learnt to drive in Ethel the EK Holden)

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago I saw a Bumper sticker that read,
"Buy American".

It was on the back of a VW!

I read about a sticker in Germany, seen on the back of a VERY small car,
"Wenn ich gross bin, ueberheule ich euch alle!"
"When I grow up, I'm gonna pass you all!"

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it today! Following a breakdown truck along the dual carriageway:

Make a parent smile - run over a paedophile.

And I thought this one belonged in the realm of Urban myths........

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very long time ago, I went to a Barry McGuire concert and he said he'd like a bumper sticker worth reading, like "I'd rather be a sardine in the bait tank of the Lord, than a killer whale in the jacuzzi of the devil" I've yet to see it on anything though....
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
sisyphus
Apprentice
# 2841

- Posted      Profile for sisyphus   Author's homepage   Email sisyphus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
on a motorcyclist's jacket:
if you can read this, the bitch fell off.

Posts: 9 | From: toronto | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite bumper sticker, one I see often on a car parked in my neighborhood: it's for a tattoo parlor, and the tagline is "FUCK YEAH, IT HURTS!"
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>

Only if you're a big wimp.

</tangent>

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
auntbeast wrote:

quote:
.. I makes me absolutely crazy when people with the cheesy Jesus stickers all over their car drive like idiots... I guess they figure if they can scare me bad enough I might have a conversion experience looking at their bumper.
They're just getting you ready for the Rapture!

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

My daughter put

There are three kinds of people in the world:
those who can count and those who can't

on her car when she was in high school. She reported that none of the guys she worked with at the grocery store understood it. [Roll Eyes]

Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is commenting on a post from a while back, but I wasn't a member then.
This is one to answer all the "My child is on the honor role of ..."

My Kid Can Beat Up Your Honor Student

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"In case of rapture, can I have your car?"

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My last car had a TOGS sticker on it. I am no longer young.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

[Smile] Create Your Own Bumper Stickers [Smile]

[Yipee] Another Place To Create Your Own Bumper Stickers [Yipee]

[Sunny] Yet Another Place To Create Your Own Bumper Stickers [Sunny]

David
I live to serve

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

[host hat on]

Let's keep URL references to a minimum, shall we? If I have to go to another web site to get the joke, it tends to disrupt the conversation of the thread. Threads such as this are about sharing things we find humorous, not providing resources.

Thanks.

[host hat off]

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Sorry... [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016