homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Cats! (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Cats!
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sighs*

It seems all of you cannot live without venting your pathological tendencies on some living creature.

May I suggest your hostile feelings would be equally well relieved in hating, hunting, and harming alternative victims?

I have some candidates for you. For instance, when I was in nursing school, the woman teaching us microbiology assured us, that, if nothing else, we would emerge from her class hating flies. Equally useful targets for your wrath (from a disease prevention and benefit to humanity standpoint), would include mosquitoes and for big game thrills, rats.

In the meantime, the cat defenders remain on guard.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy L
Shipmate
# 2170

- Posted      Profile for Timothy L   Email Timothy L   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, who brought the catnip brownies to the picnic? I know it's fun (alright...it's hilarious!) to see Campbellite, Corgi, Sharkshooter and Ariel out there on the grass kicking at phantom cats, but it's still a bit of a cruel joke. Those cool ship-cats should only turn on when and where they choose, dig?

--------------------
Timothy

Posts: 757 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Equally useful targets for your wrath (from a disease prevention and benefit to humanity standpoint), would include mosquitoes and for big game thrills, rats.
Oh, come on. Have you ever tried kicking a fly through a set of goalposts? And rats are all right. Rats are intelligent and have personalities, whereas cats are all just clones.

I'm sticking with fish. They don't mew, dig holes or shed fur, and they know the secrets of the sea. Vote for fish now.

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent idea - bring on all the fish you want; big meal for all the kitties tonight!!!

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All we need is fatter cats! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sharkshooter,
How much you have to learn about these cats - they are not greedy and will not get fat. They deserve a little treat from time to time so I vote for the fish.

Fish supper all round!

(Molly, Jessie has asked Brandy to help her on Cat guard since he is feeling much better now [Wink] )

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They deserve a little treat from time to time so I vote for the fish.
Nope, cats have done nothing to deserve any treats. They ought to be chained and shackled and thrown into the deep. A fish supper is a good idea though: the fish will feast well on these beasts tonight. I shall come to your fish supper, and I'm bringing my friendly* local piranhas. They should make short work of your "kitties" (are these a different species from the cats we know and loathe?)

(Bribes Jessie with large helping of her most favourite dog treat, and a slice of roast cat)

* Friendly, that is, to me.

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure that I have mentioned this before, but what is it with cat food vendors and fish? I mean, apart from an occasional goldfish nabbed by one of the hell-spawned beasts, cats are not naturally inclined to eat fish. It is my observation that as a rule they are not fond of water at all and are generally poor swimmers.

So why, in heaven's name, would they suppose that cats would want to eat tuna? When was the last time, (heck, when was the first time) felix domesticus reeled in a four hundred pound tuna?

I still say they should market cat food in flavors cats actually eat in the wild: mice flavor, robin flavor, unidentifiable dead thing flavor.

Come to think of it, isn't felix domesticus a contradiction in terms?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
[QUOTE](Bribes Jessie with large helping of her most favourite dog treat, and a slice of roast cat)

Sorry but I can not accept this bribe. I am loyal to my Dolphy Mummy and most of all have been honoured with protecting these wonderful Cats by Miss Molly. I am shocked that you think you can get around me this way. Please do not try this again or I shall be forced to take serious action. Jessie the protector of all Cats (except the nasty one who picks on Brandy)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If your mother is a dolphin, you're not actually a dog, so it was the wrong kind of food anyway.
dolphy

# 862

Now listen here Ariel, there is no need to take that tone with me... my Mummy is a wonderful Dolphy and I am a wonderful canine, so back right off with your accusations.

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Saintly Dr. Campbellite,

The term "felix domesticus" and the equally ludicrous term "feral cat", are part of the Big Lie perpetrated by cat people.

Cats are nor not, nor will they ever be, domesticated. They are ruthless, cunning killers. The only reason they do not murder and devouer their "owners" is that cats are too stupid to figure out how to use a can opener.

Greta

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Greta,

I suppose that explains why naming a cat is such a futile gesture. Cats never come when called (unlike the far more civilized Corgi).

Perhaps all feline denizens of the Nether Regions should be named the only sound they respond positively to: <can opener> Whirrr! </can opener>

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(enters with a purposeful stride and intent in his steely gaze, shouldering two high velocity supa-soakers and sporting a magnificent pair of cat-punting boots)

And what the hell has been going on here then!

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't tell me I have to repeat all my " True Cat Tales"... again????

Cats can and do fish.
My kitties come when called.
etc., etc....

Aaarrrr, yonder punt is looking to be cannonballed, methinks. Aaarrrr.

jj

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Cats can and do fish.

Well, esteemed Judy, I cannot picture how a cat might go about canning fish. They have no opposable thumbs. How are they able to screw on the lids?

As for doing fish, I don't even want to go there. [Paranoid]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reverend and dear Sir, may I see your certificate attesting to your M.Div.? I have long taken it on trust that you have one, but your incomprehension of basic English as contained in Jedi Judy's sensible post makes me wonder if you did actually graduate from seminary.

"Can" in this context means "possess the ability to".

"Do" in this context means "perform the action in reality".

Since I desire to be charitable at all times, and have a sneaking fondness for you, I am going to assume your difficulties with English arise from your brilliance in and mental saturation by, Biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dolphy:
Dear Sharkshooter,
How much you have to learn about these cats - they are not greedy and will not get fat. )

Hmm. Perhaps I should bring my tiger Jason, aka Felinus Maximus and MobyCat, to Camp Jedi for [Help] .

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then again, he has a natural resistance to being punted.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Aaarrrr, yonder punt is looking to be cannonballed, methinks. Aaarrrr.

Cannons loaded dear 'sister' and ready to fire!

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(little does she realise that the cannons are loaded with cats!)

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:
"Can" in this context means "possess the ability to".

"Do" in this context means "perform the action in reality".

<Emily Letella voice on>
Oh... Never mind.
</Emily Letella voice off>

Alas, my dearest Miss_Molly, as a New Testament major in Seminary, I never took Hebrew, but did have training in Koine Greek. And in college I took two years of German.

<tanget> One of my college classmates is now suffering for Jesus in the same church in Denver as Tomb!</tanget>

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

dolphy

# 862

retrieves the cats from the cannons, puts them all back safe under the close guard of Jessie and reloads the cannons with the secret Jedi power!

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Please forgive my negligence in posting but I have been unable to find any Thai recipes. I suspect that some unnamed Jedi has been rummaging through my card files.

In any case, I have a recipe for Kitty Sate (pronounced sah-tay ). It is a lovely sweet and spicy Indonesian dish, but I must alert those allergic to peanuts, not to try this at home.

Prepare one to one and a half pounds kitty, cut into strips. Place strips between waxed paper and with kitchen mallet, pound it out flat.

Marinate in mixture of soy sauce, molasses (or honey), tabasco (accept no substitutes!), lemon juice and crushed garlic. (Don't skimp on the garlic!) Marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.

Soak bamboo skewers in water (to prevent burning).

Thread marinated kitty onto skewers. Grill until done and there is no pink showing. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Prepare dipping sauce by adding one quarter cupvery hot water to one half cup peanut butter and a tablespoon of lemon juice. The water must be just this side of boiling for this to work. Quickly stir until sauce is smooth.

Presentation:

On each plate place one half cup white rice (cook it first, silly!). Place three to four skewers of kitty on rice. Give each guest a small bowl of dipping sauce. Serves four.

Note to JediJudy and Miss_Molly, if kitty is unavailable, you may substitute chicken. It won't have the same ambience, but I offer the option for your delicate sensibilities.

Bon appetit!

Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When talking about food in connection with cats,
I seem to recall reading somewhere that cats don't have a good sense of taste. Can anyone comment on this.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Well, Clyde, some cats have the good taste to stay away from me. The rest (when properly prepared, of course [Devil] ) taste good.

So I guess the answer to your question is, "yes".

Campbellite
Never trust a skinny cook.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

You went to Transylvania University, Reverend and dear Sir? This explains a great deal....

--------------------

jedijudy*

# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly what I was going to say Sister Molly. But, did you notice how the Rev. Sir was concerned about our sensitivities concerning his * shudder * recipe? I believe he is coming to the understanding that we do not appreciate such things. Halleluia!

Sister Dolphy, did you load the cannons with the newest armaments? They will do no harm to people, but will surround those who are fired upon with a feeling of warmth and love for all God's creatures, including cats! (However, I'm afraid they will sink punts.)

jj

--------------------

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

That is correct, Miss_Molly, I am an alumnus of Transylvania University. We never had any problems with associations with vampires until that novel by Bram Stoker came out in 1895. By then we had been using the name "Transylvania" for 115 years! (founded in 1780).

Oddly, when I was a student there, the most popular class was only offered at night, and was titled "On Death and Dying". It included a field trip to the local funeral home. [Eek!]

No kidding!

With the name Transylvania, and as old as the college is, you just KNOW that there must be some good ghost stories. I will tell you some time if you wish.

PS to Judy, I defer to your sensibilities here. In hell, that would have been poor form, you know.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Reverend Canon Dr. Campbelite,

I should think our dear cat people would be quite sympathetic to vampires, since their beloved beasts share so many of the sinister attributes of those sordid blood-sucking monsters.

Both vile groups are nocturnal. Both attack innocent, defenseless victims. Both take a perverse pleasure in dislpaying their blood-stained teeth. Both come from the very bowels of Hell.

God fearing, and therefore cat-hating, people should keep a crucifix, stake and hammer at ready. I believe garlic is also efficacious.

Greta

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Well, Greta,

The stories DO involve crypts and sarcophagi, and a rather effective curse, but no vampires or cats. There is a side story about birds, however.

Honor to whom honor is over due.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

jedijudy*

# 1059

*putting a cushion on the floor, sitting, and wrapping a nice comforter around myself*

I'm waiting for some of those ghost stories, dear Rev. Campbellite!

jj

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Campbellite takes a seat in an old comfy wingback chair. Takes out well worn pipe, fills with a quality blend, tamps it down lightly and lights. After a few gentle puffs it is burning well. A gentle aromatic whisp floats about his head like, well, a halo. <Don't get too carried away by this, Campbellite>

Well, dearest Judy, since you insist... (I thought you would NEVER ask [Wink] ) I will tell you the tale. It is rather long and involved, with several detours along the way (as all good stories do, you know.) What sets this story apart, however, is that evey word of it is the absolute truth.

Part the first.

Transylvania University is the oldest college in America west of the Allegheny Mountains. It is, if I am not terribly mistaken, the sixteenth oldest in the country. It was founded in 1780, in the middle of the Revolutionary War, when the region which is now Kentucky was still part of Virginia. The school charter was signed in 1780 by the governor of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson.
Transylvania was one of the original names used for the area, and when the Commonwealth was admitted to the Union in 1792, the new legislature, by only one vote, chose the name "Kentucky" over "Transylvania".
Are you relieved by that? Don't be too hasty. The name "Transylvania" is from the Latin and means "Through the Forest" which is, of course, how you got there from the rest of Virginia. "Kentucky" on the other hand, is from a native American phrase meaning "Dark and bloody ground", because it was where they hunted and waged war. So I ask you, which is the better name?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Timothy L
Shipmate
# 2170

- Posted      Profile for Timothy L   Email Timothy L   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Campbellite, when were you at Transy? I sold steamed hotdogs out of a push cart behind the Lexington-Fayette County Courthouse circa 1983-84. If you were a hungry student then, we've probably met!

BTW, Transylvania University used to be (don't know about now) one of the best ranked liberal arts institutions in the country.

--------------------
Timothy

Posts: 757 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Timothy,

I graduated in 1976, and then went on to Lexington Theological Seminary across the street from UK. I moved to Virginia in 1980, so I just missed you.

Honor to whom honor is over due.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Takes puff from pipe. Savors the aroma and resumes his story.

Part the second

When Transylvania was founded in 1780, the first president was also the rector of what was later to become Christ Cathedral (ECUSA). By the 1830's Transylvania has passed into the control of the Presbyterians who made up the majority of the Board of Trustees.

This decade was a "Golden Era" for Transy (as we fondly call alma mater), and much of the research in the newly settled West was done from there. It was, in fact, second only to Harvard in academic reputation in those days. Even now, the official school colors are black and Harvard crimson, the only school Harvard allows to share their colors.

Although the college was run by the Presbyterians, they had hired as the new president, a Unitarian from Massachusetts named Horace Holley. Holley was a first rate academician, and this was more important to them than the orthodoxy of his religion. Holley's wife, was the sister of Stephen Austin, later hero of the Texas revolution for whom the city of Austin TX was named. (That last fact is not relevant to our story, but I thought it was interesting.)

One of the non-Presbyterian trustees was Henry (I would rather be right than be President) Clay AKA "The Great Compromiser". Clay was a member of the aforementioned Christ Cathedral. They have a bronze plaque on the wall marking his box. (South wall, about one third back from the transept.)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

jedijudy*

# 1059

< ...jj, sitting transfixed, elbows on knees, chin resting on palms, oxygen mask on face...you know how asthma is with pipe smoke... >

This is great! Can you imagine having the states of Pennsylvania (my birth state) and Transylvania near to each other?

Keep going Rev. Sir!

jj-holding purring cat in her lap-

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem!
<reaches for 'Host Mode Activate' button but desists>

Not even my fiercest critics can deny that I am laid-back and easy-going (though they may, indeed, criticise me for the selfsame qualities).

However, I do feel that this thread may have, ahhh, deviated from its subject matter.

I am reluctant though to cry 'Tangent' on two grounds:-

a) That I cannot ask Campbellite to open a new thread in DH on the subject of his 'alma mater' (it is technically impossible!) and I cannot realistically ask him to start it on another board (which one would be relevant??)

b) And that it seems that he is being encouraged by at least one other poster to continue in his reminiscences.

But I have to be seen as acting in a hostly manner!

I am therefore inclined to be merciful and to allow Campbellite to continue, unless I have requests from other regular posters on this thread to the contrary.

It would, of course, help if at least passing reference could be made to the thread's subject - other than in the sig!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Note to Judy, since this is virtual smoke, I rather doubt the asthma will be adversely affected. I haven't used the real stuff in over 20 years!

Duly noted, Host Tony K. I will find some way to work in a cat or two if you feel that will help.

Part the Third.

During the 1830's, Transylvania University was the premier research facility for the flora and fauna of North America. This was still the "Wild West" in those days. One of the top researchers in the field of botany was a professor at Transy named Constantine Samuel Rafinesque. Rafinesque was born of French parents in the city of Constantinople (now Istanbul).

Prof. Rafinesque was a quiet scholarly sort, not given to much socializing. Shy and withdrawn, he preferred the company of his beloved plants and would spend days in the field searching for new and unknown specimens. He identified, classified and named many of the native plants of the American Mid-west.

<Gratuitous reference to cats>
Cats.
</Gratuitous reference to cats>

He was a close aquaintance of John Jay Audubon (the bird expert). They were researching the same areas, and often compared notes. Many of the birds painted by Audubon are shown with plants classified by Rafinesque.

Audubon was far more outgoing than Rafinesque, and was something of a practical joker. On one occasion, Audubon painted a real bird, but made up the plant. He asked Rafinesque if he could classify it from the painting. Rafinesque excitedly speculated about this wonderful new discovery, while Audubon was laughing himself silly over the joke. On another occasion, Audubon "honored" his friend by naming a species after him... Not a bird, mind you, but a small brown bat whose Latin name is "rafinsqueii". [Devil]

Honor to whom honor is overdue.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
<snip>
Duly noted, Host Tony K. I will find some way to work in a cat or two if you feel that will help.

<snip>

<Gratuitous reference to cats>
Cats.
</Gratuitous reference to cats>

<snip>

Thank you, Campbellite. It is good to see that my comments do not go un-noticed [Big Grin]

Though perhaps a little more subtlety might be nice? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

jedijudy*

# 1059

Did you notice the purring cat on my lap?

jj

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

*seats herself gracefully on the leather chesterfield*

And I have brought several cats with me!

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

<Warmly welcomes Miss_Molly.> My dear, so glad you could join us! Since we are in story hour, your cats are welcome to stay so long as they remain by your side and do not interrupt our proceedings. Since they are *your* kitties, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. <for now...>
Tamps and re-lights virtual pipe. After a few moments, it glows softly and fills the room with it's gentle aroma.>

Now where were we...? Oh yes,

Part the Fourth.

We now have the stage set with most of our major characters. It is 1830's Kentucky. The premier research University in the West is headed by President Horace Holly. Constantine S. Rafinesque is the rather eccentric and somewhat anti-social botany professor.

Prof. Rafinesque was far more interested in his research then he was in teaching. He would traipse through the woods and fields of Kentucky for days at a time, neglecting his classes. This did not sit well with President Holley. But the level of his research was such that Holley kept Rafinesque on the faculty.

There was no doubt to his brilliance. His papers, still in the Transylvania archives show that Rafinesque had developed a theory of evolution decades before Darwin. In fact, in the Origin of Species, Darwin made many references to Rafinesque's work.

There was other cause for friction between Rafinesque and Holley. When Rafinesque was not gathering specimens or teaching classes, he would play the piano. Shy sort that he was, he would not play for an audience of more than one. That one was a woman who felt pity for the odd little man. There was never any reason to think that their relationship was more than purely platonic, but it became a bit of a scandal that Rafinesque played piano only for Mrs. Holley.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

dolphy

# 862

Mind if I join you now that I am back? (Opens a bottle of wine and curls up on the sofa)

jj, the secret weapons are still loaded and awaiting your command. [Wink] Jessie and Brandy are keeping watch over the kitties and all is well.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea, Campbellite! Now that they have brought all the cats here, bore them to death.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Shouldn't be difficult, just make them read the gushier postings on this sickening thread.

TonyK, is there any chance of renaming this board Dead Cats, and changing the graphic at the top to a smiling man sitting up in bed holding at least one up by its tail?

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Motions to Dolphy to have a seat.
Welcome my dear Dolphy! As I mentioned to the most gracious Miss_Molly, your cats are welcome so long as they behave themselves and leave me alone. (I have a fireplace poker, and know how to use it. [Eek!] ) And now...

Part the Fifth.*

In those days, colleges were not the massive operations they tend to be today. The student body often numbered in the dozens rather than the tens of thousands. Even in the Golden Era of the 1830's Transylvania had no more than a couple of hundred students and faculty altogether. (Today the total student population is only 1100.)

With such numbers, the entire University was housed in a single building in downtown Lexington, KY, about a block and a half from Christ Cathedral and three blocks from city hall.

Classrooms, student housing and faculty offices were all together. Married faculty lived in the houses which were to either side of the campus, while single faculty were offered rooms on campus. Prof. Rafinesque had two rooms, one for living quarters and one for an office/ research lab. This was unusual because with the growth of the school in the decade of the 1830's, space was at a premium.

President Horace Holley had been in a slow burn over Rafinesque, as he spent so much time looking for his beloved plants and so little time actually *teaching* which is what they paid him to do. (And there were those nasty rumors about Rafinesque and Mrs. Holley, though there has NEVER been any evidence of inappropriate behavior.)

Holley decided to kill two birds with one stone by waiting until Rafinsque was out on yet another expedition. He then had some students move all of Rafinesque's belongings into one room, and gave the other to the students for housing.

When he returned, Rafinesque was livid. He stormed into President Holley's office and demanded an explanation. Holley blew up and said, "You're fired!" Rafinesque replied, "You cannot fire me. I quit!" And with that, he invoked "The Curse" on the school in general, and on President Holley in particular.

Honor to whom honor is ovcerdue.

*Is it true what they say? Wherever you have four Episcopalians, you will always find a fifth?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
TonyK, is there any chance of renaming this board Dead Cats, and changing the graphic at the top to a smiling man sitting up in bed holding at least one up by its tail?

Sorry Ariel - as host on this esteemed Board my authority is restricted to ensuring that posters observe the 10Cs, and to officially welcoming newcomers to the Ship.

I think I can blow my nose without further permission, but anything more critical has to be dealt with by a higher authority [Big Grin]

I do have to say though that I consider it unlikely that your request (should you choose to push it up to the bridge) would receive official blessing [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And now ... back to the Transy tale....

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Thank you kind hostly Sir TonyK. I understand that your hands are tied in this matter, but I must admit that Ariel has made what seems to me a reasonable request. Alas, we cannot always have things our way though, can we?

<Campbellite takes a few moments to puff on his virtual pipe and gather his thoughts. He then resumes his tale, every word of which, of course, is the gospel truth.>

Part the Sixth

Before we recount to you the events which resulted from "The Curse", we should perhaps note the subsequent denoument of Rafinesque's life. It was a rather sad conclusion to a most illustrious career. He left Kentucky and travelled on to Indiana. He continued his research of the indigenous flora, keeping meticulous journals. These he would send to his only remaining friend at Transylvania, another professor (also French as it happened) named Bonfils. Prof. Bonfils dutifully filed these journals, and they remain in the Transy archives today.

Given the public nature of his parting from Transy, no other university would hire him. He continued his travels, eventually ending up in Pittsburgh, PA, where he died penniless. He was buried there in a paupers grave. [Frown]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Ah, reverend and dearest Sir, the moral cannot have escaped you? Those who wish evil to others end their lives isolated and sad. I know you will take this to heart, and expunge from your heart any hateful feelings, whether to people or to cats.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016