homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What Is A Christian? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What Is A Christian?
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Nightlamp is answering the question why do some protestants consider the mass to be a heresy)

The two things that would make some Protestants consider the Mass a heresy are the theology of transubstantiation
and that the mass was considered to be an actual re-enactment (or re-presentation) of the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross.

Now these doctrines in the modern RC thought are in many ways no longer that important (as I understand it)but because it is part of the tradition of the church they are retained.

Charles you say the difference between the Anglican eucharist (the official one!) and the Catholic Mass is minimal but there are differences and they are quite fundemental doctrinally.

For instance the words said by the priest before the liturgy of the Eucharist usggest the idea of a re-presentation of the sacrifice of Jesus (see above) which protestants find difficult

quote:
Pray, brethren, that our sacrifice may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father. the reponse of the people beingMay the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands for the praise and glory of his name, for our good, and the good of all his Church.

Another area which some protestants find difficult is the applied idea that receiving bread and wine is the means of salvation
as expressed in these words towards the end of the liturgy of the Mass

quote:
May this mingling of the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ bring eternal life to us who receive it.

To be honest I can not see the problem with the use of the word 'mass' it simply means celebration and we use it a christmas quite happily.

(my apologies if i have upset anyone just trying to put a protestnat view with out upsetting people)

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmmmm......not sure,Nightlamp

The words of distribution of BCP(1662)are
"The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve thy body and soul unto everlasting life.Eat this in remembrance that Christ died for thee, and feed on him in thy heart with faith and thanksgiving"

I suspect two strands of Anglican Eucharistic theology are about to surface!
My own understanding is that in the Eucharist we receive our Lord in with and under bread and wine as Luther described.There is a real presence of our Lord there but this presence is a spiritual one "given taken and eaten only in an heavenly and spiritual manner"(39 Articles)

I am not happy with transubstantiation;as to how our Lord is present is something I don't know.I would also maintain that the Presence is given to us for one reason only:that of reception.I feel uneasy with extra-liturgical use of the Sacrament - yes,I've been to them and very impressive services they are - it's just that they go beyond our Lord's command.Are we doing the right thing, I ask myself.I'm aware that many Anglicans of more lofty churchmanship than myself go further.Although I treat the elements with respect if some wine is spilt and gets on a blouse or a shirt...well my instinct is to put it in a washing-machine,not consume it with fire.(I'm not being sarcastic here BTW)

With the Eucharistic sacrifice,I find myself again between two views.I do not feel myself that we offer Christ again to the Father;and I dislike masses of private intentino.The Mass is for us all

Yet.....as we receive Holy Communion and are taken into Christ's presence,I feel that we do, in some way partake of the heavenly banquet.

Or let me quote from the C-i-W BCP(1984)
"And we pray that all we,who are partakers of this holy Communion,may be fulfilled with Thy grace and heavenly benediction and be numbered in the glorious company of Thy saints"
As far as the rest of this thread goes....of course Roman Catholics are Christians.And if I'm asked what I am I nearly always reply "Anglican",unless I'm in a situation where the difference is between Christian and atheist or agnostic,in which case I reply "Christian".But usually it's the former as in
"Oh...you go to church, then?"
"Yes"
"which one?"
Quite often it's as innocent as that!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles
Shipmate
# 357

- Posted      Profile for Charles   Email Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Nightlamp is answering the question why do some Protestants consider the mass to be a heresy)

The two things that would make some Protestants consider the Mass a heresy are the theology of transubstantiation
and that the mass was considered to be an actual re-enactment (or re-presentation) of the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross.
----------------------------------------

Two points: The question of transubstantiation has been covered many times before on this web site and on others. In general it boils down to which passages of the Bible you wish to quote.
John chapter 6 verses 35 to 58
Starting from verse 52
Then the Jews started arguing with one another: ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ they said.
Jesus replied ‘ I tell you most solemnly, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you will not have life in you. Anyone who does eat my flesh and drink my blood has eternal life, and I shall raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Etc

Second point: The Mass is not a re-enactment of the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross, rather, as the Catechism of the Catholic Church puts it ‘A memorial of His sacrifice’. 'In so doing, we offer to the Father what He has Himself given us: the gifts of his creation, bread and wine which, by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the words of Christ, have become the body and blood of Christ.'

--------------------
Charles

Posts: 115 | From: Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The issue of transubstantiation I thought more depended upon a believe in using an Aristolian framework (as expounded by Aquinas and Radburtus) as a means of understanding John 6 rather than the words themselves.

The use of the word memorial (anamesis)can mean re-enactment and that was the sense in what it was used in the medieval church but
that now is untrue. It is unfortunate that that the phrases that the Priest utters before the liturgy of the Eucharist would still imply that.

Out of Interest why are these words used if actually that is not official Catholic doctrine?
The phrase 'Eucharistic sacrifice' (not a memorial of the sacrifice of Jesus) is made in various readings I have made on Roman Catholic doctrine what does this mean?

I suspect the answers will be theologically quite subtle hence it is confusing to protestants who effectively harken back to an image of the medieval church.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly Nightlamp there is a difference between popular theology and official doctrine.I have certainly heard of (Roman) Catholic Masses being offered for a special intention and the prayer that you mention seem to suggest the Mass is more than a remembrance
What I am not happy with is the use of the word "heresy" to describe other Christians.It'd have to be pretty basic such as the denial of the divinity of Christ for me to use such a word.It's too strong for my liking
Of course I'm quite prepared to say that there are differences between Anglican,Lutheran,Orthodox and Roman Catholic beliefs;but I think "heresy" is too strong a word - I don't like it
There does seem to be a certain amount of anti-Catholicism around,but I'm afraid I don't share it.It could be why there are few RCs on this site.A lesson for us there?
Carmel,Charles,Felix and whoever....we like you really Honest!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

I do hope I am not seen to be anti- Roman catholic and I agree with stephen I would not want to call Roman Catholics heretics.

One of the reasons why I have not written much on the RC thread is that I could be misunderstood .

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

It's not for me to say,but you don't come over that way to me,Nightlamp
However I have read threads and posts where I'm jolly glad I'm not RC!
Discussing differences is one thing;one should never forget there is a real person behind the PC.IMHO

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Charles
Shipmate
# 357

- Posted      Profile for Charles   Email Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nightlamp:
------------------------------------------
The issue of transubstantiation I thought more depended upon a belief in using an Aristotelian framework (as expounded by Aquinas and Radburtus) as a means of understanding John 6 rather than the words themselves.
-------------------------------------------
I regret that the issue of “an Aristotelian framework (as expounded by Aquinas and Radburtus)” is above my head.

As a Catholic, I believe in the Real Presence in the Eucharist. I do not see the Eucharist as a re-enactment only. Nor do I see the elements changing their chemical composition.

The penny catechism definition of a sacrament is "An outward sign with an inward grace."
This I think says it all.

--------------------
Charles

Posts: 115 | From: Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JohnW
Shipmate
# 135

- Posted      Profile for JohnW         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Carmel, I am a methodist,but I found the question offensive too. We are one in Christ. In my own area, we share worship at ALL the churches,(which includes RC) & we share the spirit too.
Love John.

--------------------
" Can't we agree to differ?"

Posts: 271 | From: Audenshaw, Manchester. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
Charles said As a Catholic, I believe in the Real Presence in the Eucharist

You will find that many christians through out the world world agree with you it sounds quite Lutheran.

From reading your posts they hint that formal Roman Catholic doctrine and what most Roman Catholics believe are different. It probably explains why ARCIC got on well but when they took there conclusions to the Roman Catholic and Anglican leaderships it vanished in to the long grass.

So to the issue of heresy it is a shame that some protestants don't discuss the theological concepts with Roman Catholics themselves and discover that they are not that different theologically.

Slight aside
I once attended a very high Anglo catholic church on a feast of the Virgin mary where the words from the Roman Missal where used. My mate then took me to across the road to the Local RC where all words about Sacrifice where ommitted and no angelus. But hey that's life .

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Yes...just as there are High and Low Anglicans,so I can well imagine the same is true of other denominatinos.
The bulk of us I suppose are in between
But....waht's wrong with being High or Low Church?Provided we get on with each other

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must confess to being bemused by all this, a) that it's still rumbling on and b) for some of the points of view expressed. Now I could look at Protestantism and find a few things that don't live up to my expectations and criticize them adversely. But I still feel as I have said elsewhere on this site that people are entitled to their beliefs. Just because it doesn't suit me, it doesn't mean I should make you change what you think.

All this sniping seems rather petty to me. I never experienced any anti-Catholic sentiments before coming to this website, and I have never hated Protestants. I would strongly urge people to try to look past labels. I don't have a problem with you having doctrinal differences to me. It is interesting and a different perspective. It makes me think. I may not necessarily adopt them but at least I can learn more about how other people approach God.

As for believing that denominations other than your own are "heretics" - this is a dangerous concept and one that should not be pursued.

Charles
Shipmate
# 357

From Nightlight:

From reading your posts they hint that formal Roman Catholic doctrine and what most Roman Catholics believe is different.

To the best of my knowledge, I am an orthodox Catholic.

The confusion, as I see it,lies between what is formal Roman Catholic doctrine and what is thought to be formal Roman Catholic doctrine.

If you are interested in the formal Catholic doctrine, it is to be found in “The Catechism of the Catholic Church”.

--------------------
Charles

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carmel:
most of the time the only thing dividing us is language and small details.

Carmel,

I hope that you and all other Christians who worship in the Catholic tradition feel welcome on these boards, and that we can all learn from each other. The Ship is a better place for having many traditions represented.

It seems to me that the Catholic tradition is not immune from the extremism and fundamentalism that is (in the English-speaking world) more commonly associated with the protestant tradition. I suspect that none of us wants to be judged by the extremists we tolerate.

All Christians are supposed to be as brothers and sisters to each other. But then, aren't all mankind supposed to be as brothers and sisters to each other ?

Anyone who has brothers and sisters will know that they can be quite infuriatingly and unrepentantly wrong about all sorts of things.

Human institutions can appear very threatening things (cf Ronald Reagan's "evil empire" speech) from a distance, and also very reassuring if we've grown up with them close by and are used to having them around.

Jesus doesn't say much about institutions; he seems to relate to people as people rather than as symbols (of empire, nation, priesthood or whatever).

It is probably an inescapable facet of human nature that, perceiving value in the words of Jesus, we wish to divide the world into "Christians" and "non-Christians" with more status given to the former than the latter. But it's not obvious whether such an activity achieves anything worthwhile.

Is there an unwritten commandment of the Ship that says "Thou shalt not doubt whether shipmates are Christian" ? Is it offensive to call other shipmates unChristian ?

Having said that I'm all for mutual acceptance, I have a niggling doubt. Do we consider it acceptable behaviour for someone to deny that anyone from other denominations is Christian ? is saved ?

What about Ratzinger-style doctrine - the view that there is only one Christian church (whose head is the Pope) and other churches aren't churches at all, just collections of individual heretics ?

Can tolerance tolerate intolerance, or must we draw a line ?

Trying to sum up a rather rambling post, I don't find much difficulty in writing off KKK-type "Christians" in far-off places as extremist loonies. But I have difficulty in knowing how to respond to reasonable and
reverent Christians of the largest Christian denomination who implicitly (by their apparently unquestioning acceptance of their church's doctrine) seem to be signing up to unacceptably intolerant attitudes.

Is it just a case of if we all distance ourselves from the extremists in our respective denominations we'll all get along fine ?

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

Thankyou very much for your post and I agree that my knowledge of Roman Catholic Doctrine is based on studies of the council of Trent and Vaticans 1 and 2.

I have looked the The Catechism of the Catholic Church up on the net.

With regards to the Mass being a reenactment of the sacrifice of Jesus after reference to 1364-1368 it appears to mean that the Eucharist is a participation in the Sacrifice of Jesus as opposed to an re-enactment.

para 1367

[

quote:
The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice: "The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross; only the manner of offering is different." "In this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner."[188]

Catechism of the catholic church -Eucharist

The concept of transubstantiation as expressed by myself seems to be the belief of the Roman Catholic church. It certinly seems to be going further than An outward sign with an inward grace.

para 1367

quote:
The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: "Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."[204]

reference page

Hence to the earlier question some protestants will consider the above believes to be heresy. The former because it suggests that the Mass is needed to make the sacrifice of Jesus's death complete and the latter because it seems to ask for several miracles at once and Jesus's body to be on earth in a piece of bread as opposed to in heaven.

I am trying not offend anyone and if I have done so I am sorry. I do not consider it to be heresy just different to what I consider to be correct

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I have difficulty in knowing how to respond to reasonable and
reverent Christians of the largest Christian denomination who implicitly (by their apparently unquestioning acceptance of their church's doctrine) seem to be signing up to unacceptably intolerant attitudes.

Can I have an example of what you would consider an unacceptably intolerant attitude?

MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmmm

I think this thread is rather depressing; i hve to agree with those who've said they've seen too much anti-catholic prejudice here.

So to get back to the original point, can we work out what doesn't make a christian and see what we're left with?

MadKaren

--------------------
--
Why do people who claim to love God embarrass him in public?

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree.

I say people are not Christians who:

1. Deny the divinity of Christ.

2. Deny that salvation depends on believing in Him and obeying His teachings.

These two things assume the existence of God, heaven and hell, and divine revelation.

I don't think that any of the Christian religions, Catholic, Protestant, or whatever, deny these things. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I agree that going after the details of the Catholic Mass and other practices is kind of depressing.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Deny that salvation depends on believing in Him and obeying His teachings.

That's me out then.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparkle
Shipmate
# 895

- Posted      Profile for Sparkle   Email Sparkle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I agree.

2. Deny that salvation depends on believing in Him and obeying His teachings.

I would adjust 2. to 'Deny that salvation depends on believing in Him, and accepting him as your saviour' - obeying his teaching is something we strive for, and do because we love him and want to serve him, but it is not our deeds which get us into heaven.

--------------------
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou

Posts: 87 | From: At the mo - Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still out, I'm afraid. John's gospel says that the judgement works on how we respond to 'the Light', not whether we have this personal Lord and saviour theology sorted out. Where people respond to the light "which lights up every person" positively, such as it is revealed to them, by seeking to correct what the light reveals is wrong in them, and by hungering after the righteoussness it stands for, that is where 'salvation' is found.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sparkle - may I ask you where 'accepting him as your saviour' comes from?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Sparkle - may I ask you where 'accepting him as your saviour' comes from?

... and exactly what does it mean?

I believe it is through Him we are redeemed, including me personally but along the lines that Karl quotes.

So that's me out - especially if you start introducing an unshakeable belief in hell as an additional criteria.

So is that me out too

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I offer one thought on "Who is a Christian?"

Might the answer be: Anyone who knows the answer to Jesus' question: "Who do you say that I am?"

Just a thought.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
That's me out then.

Ha-ha! I knew this line of thought would bear fruit!

Now having said all that, I should add that I don't believe that you have to be a Christian to be saved. I think everyone is saved who loves God and lives a good life - however they understand those concepts.

But Karl said:
John's gospel says that the judgement works on how we respond to 'the Light', not whether we have this personal Lord and saviour theology sorted out.

That sounds Christian to me.

Sparkle writes:
obeying his teaching is something we strive for, and do because we love him and want to serve him, but it is not our deeds which get us into heaven.

I knew someone would say this!

Jesus clearly said that if we did not obey Him we would not be saved.

And don't pull that stuff about whoever disobeys the least of His commands breaks them all.

Of course we have no strength whatsoever to do His will - that's why we need Him. But we need to try just as if we did have the strength, and He will help us. How could someone be a Christian who didn't even try to obey God?

[fixed code]

[ 29 August 2001: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Ingeborg S. Nordén
Shipmate
# 894

- Posted      Profile for Ingeborg S. Nordén   Email Ingeborg S. Nordén   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Freddy:
I agree.

2. Deny that salvation depends on believing in Him and obeying His teachings./quote]

Definitely non-Christian here, even if I had not chosen a different faith instead: I believe that Jesus was only human, and that salvation is not even necessary or relevant (so that it can't depend on anything).

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Since Nightlamp and I seem to have hijacked this thread(!)I would add that I would entirely concur with the sentiments at the end of his last post.I have no wish to offend anybody,especially Carmel or Charles.My apologies if I have.

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Ingeborg S. Nordén
Shipmate
# 894

- Posted      Profile for Ingeborg S. Nordén   Email Ingeborg S. Nordén   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too would like to apologize for being blunt about my beliefs in the previous message; the administrators may delete that post if they choose. (Although I've mentioned my own beliefs elsewhere on the board, I still enjoy discussing other people's religions whether or not I agree with them!)
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think belief is irrelevant to salvation.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which part of "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved" do you have problems with?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me? I have problems with that preposition 'on'.
IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

Thank you, Father. (This raises another question, why do so many people use this archaic phrasing, and why have they stuck it in my head?)

The Nearly Infallable Version renders Pauls reply to the Phillipian jailor's question "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" as "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved". How is this irrelevant to the jailor's salvation?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

We're talking about what it is to be a Christian.

That is different than what it is to be saved.

Or do you think that ALL Christians and ONLY Christians are saved? I don't believe either of these is true.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ingeborg S. Nordén:
I too would like to apologize for being blunt about my beliefs in the previous message; the administrators may delete that post if they choose. (Although I've mentioned my own beliefs elsewhere on the board, I still enjoy discussing other people's religions whether or not I agree with them!)

Host hat on
Ingeborg, there is no need for you to apologize for being blunt about your beliefs.
Host hat off

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And personally, just as myself, I think we are on a fool's errand to try to define what a Christian is. The only purpose I can see for this exercise is to draw lines establishing who's in and who's out, which is God's call, not ours. We can of course make all kinds of statements about what we think is important in or unique about Christianity, about why we call ourselves Christians, about what we think this means, and these things, etc. which are quite useful. But the attempt to come up with a flat, definitive statement of what a Christian is does not seem edifying to me; it seems divisive and destructive.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Yes, I guess you are right.

It is kind of interesting to probe around as to what people think Christianity is all about.

In the end, though, it does tend to head in directions that are not very Christian.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

I agree that it's interesting and would add useful to discuss ideas of what Christianity is all about -- it's the exercise in definition, line-drawing, to which I specifically object.
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Which part of "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved" do you have problems with?

For a start, Jesus himself didn't say it.
What part of the story of the Good Samaritan do you have problems with? What part of Matthew Chap.25 vv31-46 do you have problems with?

I suppose I shouldn't have said belief is irrelevant. I just think it's not the deciding factor. Belief can be helpful, but not if you spend all your time doing mental gymnastics trying to get your head around theological concepts.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Carmel!

Sorry if I seem to be banging on about the same old stuff; I'm going to have another go at trying to formulate what I want to say, both to get it straighter in my own mind and in the hope that it might strike a chord with somebody else.

From what you've posted on this thread, I feel I can communicate with you and Charles in the same way as with anyone else on these boards. As one person to another, accepting that we're both in the same boat, trying to make sense of things, to understand where other people are coming from while staying true to the values we hold. (Does StPaul say somewhere something like "Come, let us reason together..." ?)

However, if you truly believe the doctrine expounded by Cardinal Ratzinger - that there is only one Christian church, i.e. the Roman Catholic church, and that all other Christians are simply heretics who reject that church - then that changes the relationship between us. You can't then talk to me on equal terms. You have to talk down to me as one with knowledge of the Truth to one who is in ignorance of that truth. As (if you'll pardon the analogy) a club member in good standing to someone who claims some of the benefits of membership but hasn't paid his dues. I am no longer your brother in Christ, I am someone who lapsed fifteen generations ago, who follows the error of his ancestors who wilfully turned their back on the church.

[The Catholic church once believed that heretics should be punished. Has it ever officially renounced this view?]

That's what I mean by an intolerant attitude; no doubt it was and still is badly expressed, for which I'm sorry. [Some Protestants seem to hold a similar sort of attitude to Catholics, regarding them as targets for evangelisation rather than Christians in a different tradition with different emphasis].

Nothing that you or Charles (or anyone else on this thread) has said suggests that you hold Ratzinger's view of other Christians. But if this is the official Vatican view, then is it surprising if Catholics who don't in some way distance themselves from official doctrine are suspected of holding it ?

I was hoping that you or Charles would come back and say that you regard Ratzinger as an extremist who interprets the tradition of the RC church in a particularly intolerant and unhelpful way. And that your interpretation of the same doctrinal point is only that Catholics believe that the Catholic church has got it broadly right, just like every other denomination.

Any thoughts ?

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:
For a start, Jesus himself didn't say it.

What Jesus said was, "Preach the Gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved. But he who does not believe will be condemned." Mark 16.15,16

This requires, I think, some interpretation.

Believing and being baptized, in this context, means something going on in a person's mind and heart. It would be absurd to think that everyone who says, "I believe", and is literaly baptized, is saved.

Jesus is speaking of people who are in harmony with the teachings of the Gospel, who put away their sins, and who follow Him in their life.

People are condemned who are the opposite of this - rejecting any concept of good and evil, living only to serve themselves, with no thought of benefiting others.

Qlib, I agree with you when you say:
I suppose I shouldn't have said belief is irrelevant. I just think it's not the deciding factor.

The deciding factor is what a person genuinely believes in their heart, and what they therefore love, and the way that they therefore live their life.

And just to comment on what Russ just said about Cardinal Ratzinger - Are you asking the Catholic Church to reverse its position and declare all Christian churches equal? I think that is asking a little much, since the Catholic church was the original one (apart from Orthodox) and we all broke away.

Doesn't everyone think that their church has some kind of edge on interpeting the truth?

Most people tend to think that all churches have a part of the truth, not just their own. But the churches themselves seldom officially teach that they are not necessarily right.

Why single out Catholics, except perhaps for asserting this with more certaintly than other Christian churches?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I see we're back to this again.

quote:
Why single out Catholics, except perhaps for asserting this with more certaintly than other Christian churches?

I have been wondering this myself. Nobody has so far had a go at the Orthodox or other denominations. We just happen to be close at hand and so more visible. I am not here as an apologist for the faith that I was baptized into. I am not a theologian or anything to do with the clergy. I do not know the ins and outs and finer details of doctrine. Half the questions raised on this and other threads would puzzle most of the ordinary Catholics I know. In the course of day to day life most of us never even stop to think about whether people we meet are or are not heretics. I've never even heard anyone use the word in real life.

It is clear from the postings I have read that many Protestants perceive far more of a difference between Catholics and Protestants than I do or the other Catholics I know do. If you have difficulty accepting aspects of our faith let me make this clear to you: you are not obliged to.

From the number of times that this topic has recurred, the Catholic/Protestant differences are clearly an issue for some people. I think we must have had at least three threads on it so far ranging from questions framed in a spirit of genuine inquiry to statements condemning Catholics out of hand. Life is full of people who think differently. Sadly, life is also full of people who just can't accept this fact.

Now let's get back to discussing what makes a Christian.

RuthW

# 13

Host hat on

Although the original post is worded in such a way as to include discussion of Catholicism per se, since there is now a Catholic Beliefs thread, it would be better to discuss Catholic doctrine about the status of other Christians there.

Host hat off

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't everyone think that their church has some kind of edge on interpeting the truth?

Well, actually, no we don't. In fact, we make a point of saying that we DON'T have an edge on the truth.

quote:
Most people tend to think that all churches have a part of the truth, not just their own. But the churches themselves seldom officially teach that they are not necessarily right.

We feel that the truth is shared by the WHOLE of the Body of Christ, of which we are only part. No one, including our own denomination, has a monopoly on the truth.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
No one, including our own denomination, has a monopoly on the truth.

And is this the correct position to take? Or is it quite possibly wrong?

What denomination is this, by the way?

--------------------

Charles
Shipmate
# 357

Russ:
------------------------------------------
However, if you truly believe the doctrine expounded by Cardinal Ratzinger - that there is only one Christian church, i.e. the Roman Catholic church, and that all other Christians are simply heretics who reject that church - then that changes the relationship between us.
-------------------------------------------

I think it was Cardinal Ratzinger who objected to the phrase 'Sister Churches'.

'The Catechism of the Catholic Church' speaks warmly of the other Churches.
To quote:

'The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honoured by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter'.

And again:

With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so prfound 'that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist'.

--------------------
Charles

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
Believing and being baptized, in this context, means something going on in a person's mind and heart.

Believing in what though? I'm not going to re-run the 'I am not a Christian' thread here, but Jesus did not preach the Virgin Birth or (obviously) the redemptive sacrifice. He spoke of God as Father and the Holy Spirit, but didn't preach the doctrine of the Trinity, and responded to both 'Son of Man' and 'Son of David' (and, yes, I know there are many layers of meaning to both these appellations).

I think we partly agree that there is a complex relationship between faith and works, but that passage from Matthew that I referred to suggests to me that service to others counts as service to God. Whether you believe in Him or not. And faith without works is dead.

However Quakers don't believe they have a monopoly of the truth either. So I'm gonna shut up now.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Q, it sounds to me as though you have the right idea. At least in my book.

--------------------

Lioba
Shipmate
# 42

- Posted      Profile for Lioba   Email Lioba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charles
quote:
I think it was Cardinal Ratzinger who objected to the phrase 'Sister Churches'.

'The Catechism of the Catholic Church' speaks warmly of the other Churches

It was in fact "Dominus Iesus", issued last September, which put official catholic teaching back before Vatican II and caused quite an uproar - at least here in Germany - because it denied that there are churches outside the Catholic Church. We others are merely ecclesiastical communities lacking the full characteristics of a church.

Practically all Catholics I know were as aghast about that backslide as Protestants, and in general I would say that that Catholicism I meet when I talk to friends, visit a Benedictine abbey or just the church opposite my house is decidedly different from the "official version" - and a lot more accessible in theory and practice.

Abo

--------------------
Conversion is a life-long process.

Posts: 502 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

- Posted      Profile for BigAL   Email BigAL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We're talking about what it is to be a Christian.

That is different than what it is to be saved.

Or do you think that ALL Christians and ONLY Christians are saved? I don't believe either of these is true.

Only people who are saved are Christians....

Peoples stance in this subject is highly puzzling and makes no sense.
Why would people want to be Christians if they don't feel they want or need to be saved. Why are people making such a simple and easy thing so complicated.

--------------------
The Bible contains the Answer of that I am certain

Posts: 507 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

BigAl - where does your definition come from?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016