homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Myra Hindley (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Myra Hindley
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'Metro' free newspaper has as its headline this morning 'End of a Demon' and a picture of Hindley's coffin. I feel strongly inclined to write in: 'No, not a demon, a woman. Who did very evil things and deserved every one of her 36 years' imprisonment, but still a woman.' And I was then going to go on to criticise that Sun headline, in the way it has been on this thread. For no tabloid journalist, no Priest or Vicar even, not even the relatives of a killer's victims, can consign, or free, someone from Hell. Only God can do that. Thank God.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

- Posted      Profile for eleighteen         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
The 'Metro' free newspaper has as its headline this morning 'End of a Demon' and a picture of Hindley's coffin. I feel strongly inclined to write in: 'No, not a demon, a woman. Who did very evil things and deserved every one of her 36 years' imprisonment, but still a woman.' And I was then going to go on to criticise that Sun headline, in the way it has been on this thread. For no tabloid journalist, no Priest or Vicar even, not even the relatives of a killer's victims, can consign, or free, someone from Hell. Only God can do that. Thank God.

This sums up the sickness of this thread. Isn't it soooo clever to attack the hypocrisy of the world, the Pharisees and Saducees couldn't have done it better. It's the hypocrisy of Christians I can't stand, fawning over Hindley because she claimed to have found God. Her claim to have repented was irrelevent. Did WE ask GOD to send Jesus to atone for us, or was it His decision?

Ian Brady has as much "right" to be released as Hindley ever did, are you campaigning on his behalf? If any of your tightly closed minds bother to read my posts properly and think you would find:

-I have no opinion on whether Hindley should have been released or not.
-I am opposed to the death penalty.
-Based soley on reading Scripture (and trying to ignore sodding Christians) I tend towards a universalist view (which means - gosh - Hindley saved!). But - based on a mainstream view of saved or unsaved - the triumphant "She's up there with Jesus now" is at best in extreme bad taste when many believe that some of her victims certainly are not.

--------------------
The disbelieving husband is sanctified through the wife (I Cor 7.14)........(thinks)..... woo-hooo!

Posts: 52 | From: overboard | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posting as a shipmate here...

quote:
Originally posted by eleighteen:
Ian Brady has as much "right" to be released as Hindley ever did, are you campaigning on his behalf?
<snip>
But - based on a mainstream view of saved or unsaved - the triumphant "She's up there with Jesus now" is at best in extreme bad taste when many believe that some of her victims certainly are not.

El18 - please quote exactly who said triumphantly "She's up there with Jesus now", and where.

And who on this thread (apart from you) has said anything about where her victims are? I think you'll find the answer is no one.

Finally, grabbing hostly toasting fork, Alan (Purgatory host) is waiting for an apology and/or retraction from you over on What causes poverty?. Please go and fulfil your obligations.

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
el18, I think you're missing the point [Roll Eyes]

Many posters on this thread aren't debating the vileness of Hindley's crimes at all. The fact that she did terrible, wicked things is a given.

What is being debated is the automatic press assumption that her afterlife will be spent in hell.

I'll put this in bold in the hope that it makes it blooming obvious:

Myra Hindley claimed to have given her life to Christ while in jail. There is only one person who can judge whether or not the claim is genuine or not – Christ himself. But the Bible is very clear that ANYONE who gives their life to Christ and truly repents of what they’ve done in the past will be saved by his sacrifice on the Cross.

And that isn’t trumpalist – it’s one of the central mysteries of our faith – that God is so loving, so gracious, so forgiving that he accepts ANYONE who accepts him. Anyone at all – a Myra, an Ian, a Fred or Rosie - Anyone. Even me. And even you.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eleighteen:
This sums up the sickness of this thread. Isn't it soooo clever to attack the hypocrisy of the world, the Pharisees and Saducees couldn't have done it better. It's the hypocrisy of Christians I can't stand, fawning over Hindley because she claimed to have found God. Her claim to have repented was irrelevent(sic). Did WE ask GOD to send Jesus to atone for us, or was it His decision?

..."She's up there with Jesus now" is at best in extreme bad taste when many believe that some of her victims certainly are not.

You are on very weak ground to go on about how we should 'read (your) posts properly'. I hardly think my saying 'she deserved every one of her 36 years' imprisonment' constitutes 'fawning over Hindley'. In fact if I had been able to give my opinion on the subject at the time of their (Hindley and Brady's) sentencing, I would probably say they deserved the death penalty.

And NOWHERE did I say 'She's up there with Jesus now'. She MAY be: that's for Jesus to decide. That is the whole point of my argument, and that of many others on this thread. I fail to see how what I ACTUALLY posted 'sums up' any sort of 'sickness'. What you posted might be said to 'sum up' stupidity.

[ 21. November 2002, 22:00: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent continued:

Sarkycow quote
quote:
This seems to suggest that the brain is abnormally wired in these cases, and cannot therefore be 'cured' - we cannot rewire brains, or change the size of areas etc.
Since this is the second time the "wiring" statement has been made I would like to remind any people with schizophrenia who might be reading this board that; research in Parkinson Disease, gene therapy, antibiotic treatment for viral causes, and hormonal research all hold out a very real hope for a cure.

There's no need to feel discouraged because brains can't be rewired - brains don't have wires.

The Lad Himself

Accidental stowaway
# 2073

- Posted      Profile for The Lad Himself   Author's homepage   Email The Lad Himself   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
research in Parkinson Disease, gene therapy, antibiotic treatment for viral causes, and hormonal research all hold out a very real hope for a cure.

[Love]
Posts: 2302 | From: Southport, UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly note

Eleighteen has been banned, and therefore cannot answer here anymore. In the interests of fairness, and removing the foul taste from peoples' mouths, perhaps we could drop debating his tangents (especially as he appears to be the only one arguing his side)?

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Takes a large swig of water.

*gargle*

Foul taste gone. [Smile]

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't she have an affair with a nun? You go straight to heaven if you have sex with a member of the Clergy.

At least that is what Father McDuff promised me.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016