homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: I wish I were gay (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: I wish I were gay
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coffee jim:
Chastmastr,
What 'list'?

Dear God, don't ask this please Jim. For the love of God, don't ask it.

CM - answer in a PM please.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CM's List? Oh, you don't know what a treat you're in for, do you, coffee jim?

[hoping CM answers here, because it would bug sarky]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Genie:
"Being a lover of obscure words, I just looked it up."

A wide and varied vocabulary is the hallmark of every truly cultivated person.
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
CM's List? Oh, you don't know what a treat you're in for, do you, coffee jim?

[hoping CM answers here, because it would bug sarky]

If I get bugged in Hell Ruth, I shall toast you. that oughta lighten my mood somewhat. And you did say that admins will do anything to help hosts cope [Big Grin]

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....but one hopes not to have to use "Coprophiliac" very often.

(although that does remind me of a story about a guy in New Orleans with a glass coffee table who....never mind.)

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this list one full of names for bizarre Sex practices?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read that as "Corporphilliac" and thought it might refer to someone who could only have sex at the whim of huge multinational corporations.

Why did someone make a list of bizarre sex practices? Why? Why, oh Lord? My mind is scarred enough by some of the things I've stumbled across on the internet. I can't take much more. [Cool]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time I ran into that word or condition, the Vet prescribed pills that she said would discourage the dog from taking an, er, unhealthy interest in the cat's litter box.

I guess the pills were supposed to work like the antibuse they give alcoholics to make booze taste nasty.

They didn't. The dog just threw up afterward.

So much for a tidy universe where medication fixes everything.

[replaced a pronoun w/ a substantive for clarity]

[ 13. December 2002, 02:33: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
Socrates said that one should always assume an acquaintance is of a higher intellectual class than oneself until they prove otherwise.

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk? Clever you.

I'd like to suggest that, however clear it can sometimes seem, people's intelligence is not directly tied to their posting on an internet bulletin board. Of course, it is the posts that we must interact with here - but to assume anything beyond the posts themselves might not be wise. The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Socrates said that one should always assume an acquaintance is of a higher intellectual class than oneself until they prove otherwise.

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk? Clever you.

I take the interpersonal advice of one of the greatest recognised thinkers of any age. Whether you agree with him or not, if you regard his advice as being invalid I suggest that this lodges you with the barbarian illiterati who condemned him. Clever you.

quote:
I'd like to suggest that, however clear it can sometimes seem, people's intelligence is not directly tied to their posting on an internet bulletin board. Of course, it is the posts that we must interact with here - but to assume anything beyond the posts themselves --might-- not be wise. The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.
Couldn't agree with you more, but if by a man's works shall we know him...

The persona I ascribe to you is based entirely on your postings (which, by the way, are full of wit and insight)

'Engineer' comfortably encompasses people from washing-machine maintenance guys to stealth aircraft designers, and you don't know which end of the scale I am, so be careful about making assumptions. I know everyone's got to have a hobby, but keep it in check.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

quote:
it is the posts that we must interact with here
The recognised correct English construction is

'it is the posts with which we must interact here'

Just thought I'd mention it.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh fa' crying out loud, anyone who doesn't know about chastmastr just go read the "about the leather thing" thread in dead horses.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
coffee jim
Shipmate
# 3510

- Posted      Profile for coffee jim   Email coffee jim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I do 'know about Chastmastr', thankyou very much (sorry for discussing you in the third person, David). Is the list that thing 'The Deviant's Dictionary', perchance? Or something of Chast's own devising (if it's written in verse that would be a bonus)?
I'm pretty familiar with the spectrum of human sexual peculiarities, but it's always amusing to hear about more. In the 'A-Z of Unusual Sexual Practices' I read about something involving a paper plate with a hole in it, spaghetti and meatballs and....anyway, I think it had a Latin name.

Posts: 367 | From: Belfast | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Is the list that thing 'The Deviant's Dictionary', perchance? Or something of Chast's own devising (if it's written in verse that would be a bonus)?

If you wish to know about CM's list, PM him.

Viki

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I take the interpersonal advice of one of the greatest recognised thinkers of any age. Whether you agree with him or not, if you regard his advice as being invalid I suggest that this lodges you with the barbarian illiterati who condemned him. Clever you.

Perhaps my point was a bit too pointy. There's no doubt that Socrates was a great thinker, and an amazing debater. It seems to me that the charges against Socrates used to convict and kill him were largely contrived. Other more well-read people than I have come across various speculations that Socrates was killed because he was a loud annoying dickhead. If they really disagreed with his actual ideas, they would have killed his students as well, for they were merely slightly-more-polite echoes. Thus, I recognize his field of expertise, and his possible weaknesses. In the same manner, I would take seriously Michael Jackson's opinions about pop music, but have distinct doubts about his concepts of beauty. I hope that's blunt enough.

quote:
The persona I ascribe to you is based entirely on your postings (which, by the way, are full of wit and insight)
I suggest you stop being so nice. You'll ruin my chances with Erin, and ChastMastr might become unpleasantly interested in the both of us.

quote:
'Engineer' comfortably encompasses people from washing-machine maintenance guys to stealth aircraft designers, and you don't know which end of the scale I am, so be careful about making assumptions. I know everyone's got to have a hobby, but keep it in check.
This might be your only good shot at me so far, but I think it's accidental. I'm guessing that it's possible you haven't clued in that I'm an engineer, and so was waving my own ego about back there.

quote:

Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.
Just a couple questions:
1. Since this is a "rule" with which I am unfamiliar, is it possible that it is a more traditional form not conventionally obeyed in North America?
(Maybe I should ask tomb...)
2. You really are bored, aren't you?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
quote:
What 'list'?

Dear God, don't ask this please Jim. For the love of God, don't ask it.
[Killing me]

Answered in PM already. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.

[Killing me]
Which common trait speaks most highly of this esteemed profession, I wonder? The exquisite fashion sense, the finely honed social skills, or the ability to look past the minor details of any situation and see the big picture?

Perhaps the most impressive thing about engineers is the fact that they are able to write compelling prose without needing to ever consult Strunk and White or the Chicago Manual of Style.

quote:
IBP nitpicked:

quote:
And then Rook weaseled:
Since this is a "rule" with which I am unfamiliar, is it possible that it is a more traditional form not conventionally obeyed in North America?

Since the usage is nonrestrictive, "which" is the correct word. You are correct, however; most rules of grammar are not conventionally obeyed in North America, or anywhere else.

In my opinion, both constructions are weak. I recommend, "In this forum, we must interact with the posts."

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk?
Incidentally, the majority of Christians take the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk [Roll Eyes]

quote:
This might be your only good shot at me so far, but I think it's accidental. I'm guessing that it's possible you haven't clued in that I'm an engineer, and so was waving my own ego about back there.
Why thankyou, coming from a proven master such as yourself this is high praise indeed. And I did notice you waving your ego about, it's not often the sun darkens in mid-afternoon. By the way, if you're ever in the area, I have a sock trapped in my filter, I'd appreciate it if you could spare the time to remove it.

quote:
I suggest you stop being so nice. You'll ruin my chances with Erin, and ChastMastr might become unpleasantly interested in the both of us.
If ChastMastr does become (un)pleasantly interested in us it will, as your previous assertion upholds, be purely with our posts and not with the us that exists outside. Therefore we have nothing to fear. I shall be nice with impunity.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016