homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: the importance of pedantism (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: the importance of pedantism
lanky_badger
Shipmate
# 3514

- Posted      Profile for lanky_badger   Author's homepage   Email lanky_badger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we should say that those with no command over words should not have permission to represent The Word?

Just an idea ...

[ 10. March 2003, 00:31: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
"He had to accept the fate of every newcomer to a small town where there are plenty of tongues that gossip and few minds that think"
Victor Hugo, Of Myriel. Chapter I, Les Miserables.

Posts: 300 | From: shrewsbury | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pedantry, not pedantism, you big dummy! [Mad]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we should only allow people to start threads who know how to avoid tripping over their own arses - for their own sake, of course.

Try: PEDANTRY

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mmmmmm give me a hug over a thousand words. It seems a hug represents the Word more than most words I hear.

And what is all this permission crap? Waht do you mean?

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

P

Pixie, the recognised spelling of 'what' is 'what'. In a thread about pedantry it is really important to spell things correctly.

If you need any help in the future, just mail me, ok?

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what about those of us whose style combines the happiest elements of Wilde, Chesterfield, Johnson, Donne, Austen and SJ Perlman? But who do not pretend to any relationship to the Logos? Where do we fit in this heavenly licensing scheme?

Librettists, I suppose, for all the best tunes...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lanky_badger
Shipmate
# 3514

- Posted      Profile for lanky_badger   Author's homepage   Email lanky_badger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool.

--------------------
"He had to accept the fate of every newcomer to a small town where there are plenty of tongues that gossip and few minds that think"

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:

P

Pixie, the recognised spelling of 'what' is 'what'. In a thread about pedantry it is really important to spell things correctly.

And the recognised name of Pyx_e is 'Pyx_e'. In a thread about pedantry, it is really important to spell names correctly.

[Devil]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lanky_badger:
i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool. i am such a fool.

Welcome to the club. [Big Grin]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lanky_badger
Shipmate
# 3514

I've created a Monster.

Well, not really. Just gave it a jump-start.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lanky_badger:

It's "I" not "i"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted, humourously, by IBP:

Pixie, the recognised spelling...

quote:
To which was replied, betraying worring lack of wit, by rhisiart:

And the recognised name of Pyx_e is 'Pyx_e'. In a thread about pedantry, it is really important to spell names correctly.
[Devil]

In a thread about pedantry one is allowed to amusingly alter a person's name to bring down on their worthy head derision and scorn. Which is what I did.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

P

Waht, n.
Unbridled stupidity (Afrikaans)

In a thread about pedantry, it is vital to differentiate between a typo, and an obscure but impressively apt word. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is also vital, dear Ham, to distinguish between a nasalised vowel (as in "hand", phonetically /hãd/, or the French for bread, phonetically /pã/) and a non-nasalised consonant, as in your name.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And not to forget the difference between consonants and vowels; it is the vowel in Ham that is not nasalised.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
And not to forget the difference between consonants and vowels; it is the vowel in Ham that is not nasalised.

Should that be "which is not nasalised"?

Long live pedantism, and pedantics worldwide!

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:

Should that be "which is not nasalised"?

Long live pedantism, and pedantics worldwide!

No, ChrisT, it should not. The correct form is either 'it is the cat that is not here' or 'it is the cat, which is not here'.

It depends on whether the fact that the cat is not here is vital to your understanding of the sentence ('that'), or purely incidental information about the lovable pet(', which').

In this case the vowel not being nasalised was vital, and so you use the 'that' form rather than the ', which' form.

Stupid boy.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I feel that my blood pressure could do with a little elevation I recite this to myself ...

It is important to completely [Mad] specify how the program may be accessed [Mad] and what inputs [Mad] one must be prepared with [Mad] .

Go on! Tell me you don't see anything wrong with that! [Mad]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
Whenever I feel that my blood pressure could do with a little elevation I recite this to myself ...

It is important to completely [Mad] specify how the program may be accessed [Mad] and what inputs [Mad] one must be prepared with [Mad] .

Go on! Tell me you don't see anything wrong with that! [Mad]

What on earth are you going on about FrG?

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last we see a side to Fr G we always suspected was there.

P

Pedantry is mostly important to pendants.

[Not worthy!] H & E

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted, humourously, by IBP:

Pixie, the recognised spelling...

quote:
To which was replied, betraying worring lack of wit, by rhisiart:

[Devil]

In a thread about pedantry one is allowed to amusingly alter a person's name to bring down on their worthy head derision and scorn. Which is what I did.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but it is a favourite of mine.

For Fr Gregory's sake: surely "Which is what I did" is not a proper sentence?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

If you are British, you can use the relative pronoun that you prefer, or the relative pronoun which you prefer. It is only if you are from North America, and labouring under an oppressive government, that you are restricted to using the relative pronoun that is approved by the grammar fascists.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be provocative IbP, of course you can see what's wrong with it! There's little flaming smileys all over it, that's what's wrong with it!
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where is tomb?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grammatical Pedants of the World Unite ... you have nothing to lose but the lazy slobs who know neither how to speak nor write!

I embedded in my sentence ...

a split infinitive
a noun transformed into a verb
an illicit plural form
an ending preposition

It should read ...

It is important to specify completely how access may be granted to the program and the input with which one must be prepared.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

Damn it, I pick people up on all of these things and didn't spot them because I was too busy looking at the [Mad] 's. I feel suitable chagrin and am going to go quickly home and reflect on my inadequacy as a pedant.

--------------------

IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

bollocksbollocksbollocksbollocksbollocks.

Ignore the apostrophised intended plural of [Mad] and also change 'suitable chagrin' to 'suitably chagrin'

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You wrote it correctly the first time, IbP. Chagrin is indeed a noun, (or less commonly a transitive verb) but not an adjective.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

...... oh I get it, this is just another of those stupid word games.

P

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Badger, may I congratulate you at making me laugh out loud?

At you, of course, you realise.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr Gregory writes:

quote:

It is important to completely specify how the program may be accessed and what inputs one must be prepared with .

Go on! Tell me you don't see anything wrong with that!

Well other than a split infinitive and a dangling participle I'm not sure what it means.

quote:
This is the sort of grammar up with which I will not put

- Winston Churchill to FDR

Raspberry Rabbit
Montreal, QC

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant 'ending with a preposition' not 'dangling participle'. Sorry - my mouth was full of peanut butter, my fingers are thawing out after a long walk home in sub-zero weather and I was momentarily distracted by a seagull smashing into the window.

Raspberry Rabbit
Montreal, QC

--------------------
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

I'm a stupid fart and have lost my right to post to the ship.

RR
MTL

--------------------
(((BLOG)))

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And what about those of us whose style combines the happiest elements of Wilde, Chesterfield, Johnson, Donne, Austen and SJ Perlman?...

You omitted the serial comma, dearie. It should be "...Donne, Austen, and SJ Perlman...." Unless, of course, you are some lazy journalistic slut subscribing to the AP stylesheet who can't be bothered, and we'd never believe that of you. No, never!

And note that elipsis is three dots and never includes the terminal punctuation. If the sentence ends in a period, then obviously, there are four dots. But if a question mark or (God forbid!) an exclamation point, then only three dots are necessary.

Do not dismiss this Good Advice. Remember, at some point in your life, There.Will.Be.A.Test.

Love,

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The prohibition against the split infinitive is an antiquated rule based on the sexual inadequacies of a number of Latin scholars who were incensed that the English language should be able to do something that the Latin could not.

As such it is not pedantry but jealousy, and no part of a true pedant's arsenal.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raspberry Rabbit:
I'm a stupid fart and have lost my right to post to the ship.

RR
MTL

That will be the "Ship", not a singular but unidentified ship, I take it.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
chukovsky mumbled something that escaped my attention:
Yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Yadda.

When you have mastered the capitalisation of proper names, then I may find it worth engaging with what you have to say.

I said "may".

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
You omitted the serial comma, dearie. It should be "...Donne, Austen, and SJ Perlman...."

I think if you have a problem with my version (no comma before 'and') you need to take it up with Miss 'Ma' Reid, primary school teacher, fl. Belfast, c. 1958.

I expect the usage pre-dates the AP (and probably the AV). Oh, and try that 'journalistic slut' line on her and you'll be Kept In until half four doing extra sums (as best you can with your little hot swollen fingers and the mingled tears and snot adding to the blots from your scratchy-nibbed pen).

[Preview post is a pedant's best friend.]

[ 29. January 2003, 01:19: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

That should be no of course.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't mention the absence of a comma before the words "of course", Firenze.

This is because I agree with you when you state that there should not be a comma between the penultimate item in a list and the word "and".

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
This is because I agree with you when you state that there should not be a comma between the penultimate item in a list and the word "and".

quote:
Unless, of course, you are some lazy journalistic slut subscribing to the AP stylesheet who can't be bothered, and we'd never believe that of you. No, never!

nor before 'and' when used to link two phrases. If you need a pause use a semi-colon or dash...(.)

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by madferret:
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

quote:
Unless, of course, you are some lazy journalistic slut subscribing to the AP stylesheet who can't be bothered, and we'd never believe that of you. No, never!

nor before 'and' when used to link two phrases. If you need a pause use a semi-colon or dash...(.)

[Killing me]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is full comments from people too dim to know when it is raining hard enough for it to be worth coming in out of from.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhisiart:

Starting a sentence with a conjunction may have been all the rage when the Authorized Version was translated, but it is hardly suitable for the first decade of the third millennium.
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

quote:
Originally posted by Moth:
This thread is full comments from people too dim to know when it is raining hard enough for it to be worth coming in out of from.

[Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

I've never understood the obsession with avoiding prepositions at the end of a sentence at the expense of clarity.

(though maybe you want to reconsider the last "from"? It seems redundant to me)

--------------------

Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see any comments about the joys of walking anywhere. Has someone mis-read the title ?

Maybe you all think its to do with having a Gold Chain hung round your neck ?

Or maybe the belief in infant baptism ?

Its obviously all about walking slowly so that you don't miss anything. It is also what Child specialists practise in Hospitals.

It is not as some newspapers believe the taking of child photos either.

In fact I'm writing this note slowly so that I don't fuddle my mucking worms.

Posts: 1413 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
Starting a sentence with a conjunction may have been all the rage when the Authorized Version was translated, but it is hardly suitable for the first decade of the third millennium.

And what exactly has transpired since 1611 to invalidate this construction?
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:

And what exactly has transpired since 1611 to invalidate this construction?
Hast thou no idea?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Difficult child, about to get a bed-time story, protests:

'What did you bring that book to read to me out of up for?'

Parent goes down and chooses another, about Australia:

'What did you bring that book to read to me about down under out of up for?'

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's S.J. Perelman. Not 'Perlman'. Honestly. Some people. [Wink]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016