homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Myers-Briggs (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Myers-Briggs
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I care tomb and that matters. Mind you this thread has improved since we moved into pointing out you do not have perfect control over the English language. Have you considered taking a course on how to improve your grammar?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pardon me as I choke out this phrase:

tomb (gasp)

is (cough, cough)

right.

There -- now put me out of my misery.

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

- Posted      Profile for Assistant Village Idiot   Author's homepage   Email Assistant Village Idiot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomb, if you haven't already read it, both The Transitive Vampire and Less Than Words Can Say would please you greatly.

JimT, you wonder what I've been thinking?

You are friendly and mix well with others, but value your privacy as well. Firm in your opinions, but not overbearing. Your compatible signs are the Elk and the Squirrel, and though you are attracted to Wombats, you should be cautious around them.

I am seriously thinking of changing to Village Idiot.

--------------------
formerly Logician

Posts: 885 | From: New Hampshire, US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An hhhhumble correction. When I wrote above:

quote:

...And you can keep your pig-swill over-sweetened diabetic-dog-under-the-porch RC cola...

I meant to write:

quote:
...And you can keep your pig-swill over-sweetened diabetic-dog-under-the-porch-piss RC cola...
Consider this post in place of a hostly correction in which I noted "added piss to my quotation."

(Note the position of the period, Sarky?)

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Defending an absurd language practice because it's commonly "dun that there way" by a group of semi-literate inbred morons is hardly a defense.

JimT, clearly the MBti is not of much value to the Ship's denizens, particularly Hell. Not only are there narrow bands of types likely to post in this sort of forum, the qualities described by the system refer primarily to "real life". I propose that we develop an alternate coding system for describing "Ship" personalities.

For example "Trolling/Moderating", "Flaming/Hugging", "IntelligentPosts/FluffyBunnies", or "Wrangler/Badger".

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Presley: Honey, you know I'd never put you out of your mizry, 'cause I enjoy it too much.

To Nightlamp: no, I've never considered taking a course to improve my grammar because I'm an humble sort of person and if I were perfect, it would probably discourage the people around me, and that would make Jesus sad.

And yes, Logician, I have read both of those books; indeed, they are in my library, and I long for the day when I can correct somebody in public on the difference between chiasmus and syncope.

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logician, I'm well aware of what you're talking about with astrology and have seen experiments where they hand out the same description to everyone in the room and ask how many say it seems to fit. Nearly all say yes. A parlor trick as you say.

I'll turn the heat up a little and make a comparison to IQ. What if we just tried to classify people as "S" for "smart" and "D" for "dumb"? People near the middle would say, the test is bullshit. I come out "smart" one day and "dumb" the next. The "smart" description says that I should think about engineering or law and can learn just about anything I set my mind out to. The "dumb" description says that I better just be a janitor or other unskilled worker. How can I be both? This test is bullshit. Someone else comes along and says "I don't know, I scored way smart every time and I can't do engineering but I sure can do law. Maybe there's something there."

I think the four crude dimensions of MB are each like the IQ dimension.

For my last parlor trick, it was your extreme slant toward linguistic analysis that convinced me firmly that you are an NF. Zero chance of anything else. You think slowly, carefully, and deliberately and hate to change your mind. You are a J. I am guessing that you are more inward-directed instead of outward-directed and think you are probably I.

Go ahead and tell me. Don't be cute like tomb. Are you INFJ?

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL RooK, I'm going to give that some thought. Thing is, for Hell, all axes and descriptions should be negative. We could even develop a test. People could come out "JERK" or "DICK" or whatever. Great idea!
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't decide whether the lot of you are too pathetic to frighten me, or not.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

BOO!
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pathetic it is.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Ah! Ah-ha! How silly of me! Finally I can go to bed and get some sleep.

Logician, the primary problem with you and MB is linguistical: the names of the ends of the axes don't mean what they say. I grant you that. You have to ignore them and try to see what the real underlying concept is.

The problem is, we don't have quasi-meaningful words like "intelligence" for each of the axes. The words "intuitive" and "sensitive" are completely idiotic choices for a quality that is something like "willingness to embrace the speculatively possible." There is absolutely no good reason to call a high degree of that "intuition" and a low degree of it "sensation." It's like using "collegial" for high intelligence because you can go to college and "elemental" for low intelligence because you can only go to elementary school. Popeye could come up with better names. (Nightlamp, work with me, that was the funny part of this dull post).

The MB language is atrocious. It took me a long time to learn to completely ignore the labels and go for the concept as best I could understand it from the pathetic language found in some of the short descriptions. Eventually, I got a feel for what the dimensions are. Perhaps you wouldn't find it worth the effort or impossibly maddening; I could see that. I could also see how it throws off a lot of people.

At least I can sleep now.

And Nightlamp can give out one of his heaving yawns. Go ahead. Be boringly consistent.

Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

- Posted      Profile for Assistant Village Idiot   Author's homepage   Email Assistant Village Idiot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor JimT, asking me to try and help salvage something from the MB. It goes against my nature, but you've been such a good sport I'll have a try.

By the way, I took the MB years ago and had a set of letters assigned to my score. I don't remember what they were, so you can stop guessing. I can't help you there.

Potentially, as a four-axis test describing personalities along a continuum, but simplifying the results with a four-letter summary, the MB could be a good idea. Where it falls (Chukovsky, please comment here) is in not looping back 'round to see if the questions asked actually do measure what they are supposed to. They have surface validity, and look like they might measure those traits. Some of the questions probably are good ones, pointing us in the direction of some personal quality.

To piggyback on your analogy to intelligence testing, it is as if some reasonably clever folks set out to develop new WAIS questions. They might try a hundred questions along the lines of "What direction would you travel to get from Helsinki to Oslo?" before they found one that separated better-informed people from others. Too many of the questions would have large accidental factors, in which too many people were lucky/unlucky in knowing something about Scandinavian geography.

Is it a good test? No. Is it salvageable? Probably not. Could something like it be useful? Proabably.

--------------------
formerly Logician

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
In American usage, the punctuation is always placed within the quotation marks. It's a typographical thing, not a linguistic one. Though I suspect you wouldn't understand.

American usage don't mean diddlysquat in terms of English grammar hon, and you know that. Stop trying to be all independent and stubborn, and come back to the truth.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Neither does English usage, apparently.

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Logician, thanks. I'd really love for you to take the test if only to see whether you think it has improved. I found a free one here. It is 73 questions and I do think it loops back to see if it is really measuring the same thing over and over. It makes 73 attempts to measure only 4 variables, so it has a large amount of redundancy. True, it is simplistic and some questions require you to admit that you're something of a jerk because social norms say you "shouldn't be that way." It might coach some people into making one answer or another. But it was good enough to peg me as ENTP, and I have never come out anything else in 12 years. I was 33%E 67%N 33%T 56%P on this particular test today.

Be a sport. Give it a whirl.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please go to heaven to share results of personality tests and don't bring that kind of crap into hell.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright Jim, I'll bite. I took the test, and answered honestly. What am I?

I'll even be honest and admit you if you're right in your guess (which you won't be).

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

I did start a poll in Heaven before I saw your final warning, Nightlamp. Jesus you're quick on the trigger and a real bastard on enforcement. Must be an "NTJ."

So far 100% of The Ship is ENTP.

Sarky, give me some time to go through your posts. Should be child's play. Every Hellhost is an NT because they care enough about religion to be here (N) and they don't give a shit about people's feelings (T). You seem a little playful, so first cut is (P). As to E or I, first guess is E because you're a host and post quite often. Let's see, oh shit you'd be an ENTP just like me. Preliminary assessment ENTP.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
...ESFJ - God give me patience, and I mean right now!...

This is the one that actually fits me the best. And the MOST amusing part is that only one letter is in my official astrological sign....er M-B type.

Rossweisse // still waiting for the personality-by-blood-type analysis

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

You've got a practical side and stay away from Purgatory. The fun of Heaven and Hell are more to your liking. You are a rare S here on the ship.

I stand by my initial assessment for all other dimensions.

Sarkycow: ESTP.

How did I do?

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
...Tell me I'm wrong.

Okay. You're wrong.

As previously noted, most of the MB "type" descriptions are every bit as general as their astrological equivalents. I believe that there are ethical aspects to most things in the world, too. But I ain't that type.

As Raspberry Rabbit (I believe -- sorry, but it's hard to catch up with a thread after days away!) noted, the real crime is that this garbage is used in deciding whom to hire or promote, and in other real-world arenas. Appalling.

Rossweisse // still looking for the science here

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
...The MB language is atrocious....

At last -- something upon which we can agree.

Rossweisse // Capricorn on the cusp of Aquarius (or is it the other way around?)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Check the polls. The informal one and the real one. More science is on the way. You've been blinded by my science already.

I will grant you that using the test to give people jobs and promotions is as unethical as doing it off an IQ test. But as an aid to self-understanding and promotion of tolerance it is useful.

Tolerate me goddammit!

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
You've got a practical side and stay away from Purgatory. The fun of Heaven and Hell are more to your liking. You are a rare S here on the ship.

I stand by my initial assessment for all other dimensions.

Sarkycow: ESTP.

How did I do?

Nope. Wrong both guesses.

How about we up the ante? Give you more of a reason to guess right - third time lucky and all that?

If you guess rightly, then the thread stays open and postable-to; if you guess wrongly then you take your predictive crap up to Heaven, where other games go.

Viki, hellhost

--------------------

Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

Tolerate you? In Hell? What an amusing concept.

--------------------
formerly Logician

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Sarky, your posts are too short to tell much of anything and they are more about your reactions to others rather than revealing about you. I can't do any better. Sorry. If Ceaser must fall upon his sword, then Fall Caeser and to Heaven we go!

Final guess: ESTJ (wild-assed guess based on almost nothing).

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

Bad luck [Devil]

Tis nothing but a guessing game.

No go bore the heavenly hosts with guesses about peoples' profiles.

Viki

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Agreed. No more posting from me here. The polls in Heaven are open and the results are coming in. We're even going to compare it to astrology.

To Heaven, my demons! Fly! Fly! [Angel]

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We're even going to compare it to astrology.

And that's suitable for Heaven? [Disappointed]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been put through one twice by employers. I found the description of me in the definition to be 100% accurate. I was impressed for a few minutes then I realised that it was more or less a cut and paste job on the answers I had given to the questions - the test was reformatting my self-description and handing it back to me. That doesn't mean it wasn't both fun and useful - I love spending a few hours with other people talking about *ME* and it is interesting to see how your own self description differs from other people's.

Like most things the psychobabble industry gets its hands on it seems to have has turned into something that is 5 parts commerce, 3 parts social control and 2 parts cult. The actual words of the questions used in the tests and also the definitions of the styles and types are surrounded by jealously guarded copyrights and trademarks - if you post them on the web the trademark owners sue you. What they *say* is that it is a "professional psychometric instrument that should not be administered by a qualified practitioner" what they *mean* is "get off my cash cow".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

Quite true, ken. Another example of the same is EMDR, which they only allow people who have gone through their expensive training to do research on.

--------------------
formerly Logician

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
...You've been blinded by my science already....

Ah....I think not. (To blind me with science, you must first USE science, and you have signally failed to do so.)

Rossweisse // thinking it's time to hand it off to the flake population

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
...Like most things the psychobabble industry gets its hands on it seems to have has turned into something that is 5 parts commerce, 3 parts social control and 2 parts cult....

Oh, bravo, BRAVO!

[Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

Rossweisse // I wish I'D said that

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

WorkInProgress
Shipmate
# 3597

- Posted      Profile for WorkInProgress   Email WorkInProgress   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[note]Dearest Hell-hosts, this is posted here, as I do not feel that this would be appropriate in Heaven. My feelings are somewhat too strong for the 'fluffy-bunny' venue.[/note]

Jim, Rosseweisse, Logician and anyone else who's interested...

Wouldn't it be interesting to see if there is some link between the respondents to the two tests Jim's posted in Heaven? For example, due to their relative popularities, maybe the Capricorns aboard are also those from the ES quadrant? Maybe those poor people, who seem a tad under-represented, in the IN quadrant, are also those poor people who
a) are not quite sure how to fill in either poll
b) do not have the time to fill in polls
c) know that both these tests/parlour tricks are in fact only so much elephant-crap.

Just a thought, but, oh, the possibilities...

--------------------
Madkaren reckons I should quit lurking and start posting...

Posts: 349 | From: The middle of the road... | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016