homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!?
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How are you responding to the increased threat of Terror?

[ 19. June 2003, 18:01: Message edited by: Erin ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 186 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who was recommending duct tape and plastic? The Red Cross? Or some weirdo sex therapist?

As it is, if we get nuked, I'm a goner. There isn't a single door or window in my apartment that closes properly, and I don't see duct tape and plastic doing me much good.

I voted for stocking up on wine and chocolate, but actually it'll be liquor. Whisky in the winter, gin in the summer.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might make me finally put together the emergency kit I've been meaning to do for a couple of years, but [shrugging smilie] who knows. We already have the AM/FM/police-band-radio-spotlight-red-flashing-beacon-siren thingy with solar and hand-crank power for camping. Oh, and a 60 year old gas mask.
Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've said before, I couldn't be more alert, and I'm just about to shut down and say "fuck it all". There ain't a damn thing I can do about any of it, so I'll just watch The Proud Family and syndicated Buffy episodes while waiting for the wave of radiation/nerve gas/smallpox to pass over.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what they're recommending in London (where they've been warned of a 9/11 level attack possibility), but here, they're telling people to seal off one room in case of biological or radiological attack, and put disaster supplies at the ready. I did buy batteries and I have duct tape and shower curtains to cut up if need be. But mostly, I'm drinking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm from new york city. if we get hit again, with a nuke or bios, i'm probably a gonner anyway, so why sweat it?

ya' know i live very close to laguardia airport. in flushing, the planes come over and they're so low some times that, long before 9/11, i would get scared, thinking it was gonna' crash.

now i don't get half so scared. i feel like "hey the worst has already happened". i know thats not logical or sensible, i know theres lots worse that coud happen, but its a gut reaction thing. been there, done that, didn't buy a tee shirt (to tacky) but bought the key chain.

as the viking kittens say "valhalla i am coming". see ya' there.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laura,
We haven't been told to do anything except be vigilant - in other words to grass on anyone who leaves a bag unattended, keep an eye open for anything odd or suspicious.

All this is similar to what we've been doing for years because of the IRA, so everything seems fairly normal.

OTOH, tanks and hundreds of army bods at Heathrow is a bit extra. I've got to go there on Friday to meet my husband, so I'll let you know what it feels like - assuming they let me through!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It just seems totally surreal watching pictures of tanks at Heathrow and armed soldiers patrolling the corridors. Roadblocks at Windsor and heavy security. Birmingham and Leeds airports also under military protection. And yet life goes on elsewhere in the towns and cities as if this is a million miles away and not happening. And nobody has said anything to the rest of us - if they have I haven't heard anything. I feel uneasy in public places, but it isn't going to stop me going anywhere.
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys not lucky enough to live in Australia are doing it really tough. If you lived here, you would have received a fridge magnet in the mail, together with a signed letter from the Prime Minister.

So, I don't need to do anything at all. The fridge magnet is in pride of place on the freezer door, I'm alert but not alarmed, anyone acting suspiciously is immediately reported to the authorities, and all's right with the world.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

It sounds like we're hearing more about whatever the threat is to London than you all are! Not that they're actually telling us anything in particular.

Except that we should do things only people in terrible danger of imminent horrifying attack should do, but definitely not get upset.
Red Cross Guide to Preparedness (based on Alert level)

--------------------

Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is actually motivated to make emergency preparations, the FEMA (the US Federal Emergency Management Agency) has produced this disaster preparedness guide. Since I live in earthquake country and a few hundred yards from a huge wilderness preserve that frequently burns, I really ought to have a kit on hand anyways.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

David,

Does the fridge magnet say "Don't Panic" in big friendly letters?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Ruth, Laura and I are the only ones who are using this as an excuse to eat and drink until we pass out? I am very disappointed in the rest of you. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to pick two options (if you number's up and forget the diet!), but it wouldn't let me.

About 7 years ago, I went to Israel with a large group of people. We saw tanks, soldiers, etc., as well as smoke from missile/gunfire. My aunt was soooo worried about me when she heard that my mom was letting me go. Mom's response: "When it's your time to go, it doesn't matter where you are." Aunt: "That doesn't mean you throw her in front of a bus!" I'm not doing much differently... of course, being in a Texas suburb and not on a coastal city might have something to do with it.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
It sounds like we're hearing more about whatever the threat is to London than you all are! Not that they're actually telling us anything in particular.

Except that we should do things only people in terrible danger of imminent horrifying attack should do, but definitely not get upset.
Red Cross Guide to Preparedness (based on Alert level)

I am psychic. They just drained a liter of blood from me a week ago. [Big Grin]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
So Ruth, Laura and I are the only ones who are using this as an excuse to eat and drink until we pass out? I am very disappointed in the rest of you. [Frown]

Well, I have been putting on weight...

I have done precisely nothing new to protect from God knows what horror awaits.

Because of car trouble (and periodic snow), however, I have bought some extra groceries.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm actually going to get more duct tape, but no plastic. Duct tape always comes in handy even in peace time. And I will be stocking up on liquor and other home remedies. [Big Grin] I am tempted to start carrying a gas mask around, but that's a slippery slope. Next thing you know I'll be carrying a survival backpack to work every day. As if I don't carry enough crap around already. I will probably just rely on the kindness of strangers, and always wear my Miraculous Medal, as I have every day since 9/11/01.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Now, I'm looking at the terror alert link that Laura put up, and I have to say I'm laughing my ass off here. I can NOT be the only one who's picturing Bush as the lucky charms leprechaun.

Please tell me I'm not the only one...

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruthzilla:
There isn't a single door or window in my apartment that closes properly, and I don't see duct tape and plastic doing me much good.

THANK YOU! My thought exactly. And if you could, the radon gas would build up in the house and then where would you be.

It's scary but unbelievable in a way. Although I remember my sister coming back from Italy in the 1970's and saying "there were soldiers with machine guns in the airport in Rome!" and we thought "Oh how awful to live like that."

[tangent]Of course I also remember being told as a child that one of the reasons the godless commies were godless was because all the wives and mothers had to go out and work while the children were kept in state-run nurseries. Thank God we weren't like that in America. Hmm.[/tangent]

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't be too happy flying at the moment ... other than that there's nothing I can do.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not even a very strong fridge magnet! As various people have pointed out, you get better ones from the local pizza shop.
This debate does rather remind me of a conversation I had with an American colleague who, like me, was at primary school during the height of the cold war. In UK the threats were little discussed - we all knew that if nuclear war broke our we'd had it, and we tried to think about it as little as possible. He, however, had drills at school about hiding under desks.
I'm afraid I'm also sceptical enough to wonder who is benefitting from all this ratcheting up of panic. Aussies are a laid-back lot - the 'terrorism kit' seems to have been the butt of many jokes, and thousands have sent them back to the govt as a waste of money. No evidence of anyone changing their wayt of life. But of course we've still got all our batteries etc out
from the bushfire crisis.
If you did seal up a room, how long would it be before the occupants were in danger of suffocation? (thinking of the Balck Hole of Calcutta)

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted for doing nothing really, but on second thoughts drinking until I don't care would be a better option. I'm sitting watching News24 just in case something happens.

If we go into heaven pissed as a fart, does that mean we were spirit led?

tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Re: suffocation -- good point.

--------------------

Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deciding today that it's time to put the kit together: food, water, batteries, radio ... for work, for home, for car. These are good for our earthquake preparedness too.

The plastic / duct tape thing is a decent idea, I suppose, but that requires really taking the rumors of wars seriously, AND taking seriously the U.S. intelligence folks' ability to predict what's coming. (Before 9-11, who would've predicted 4 airliners hijacked & crashed?)

Wm D

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

You guys definitely aren't drinking enough, especially those who've donated blood. See this alarming story about Unsual Clumping in Blood Supply.

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate, I hate, I hate media-induced panic. [Mad] I think this stuff is such nonsense. Bring it on, I say!
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yikes, people are really on edge around here. On the subway home there was a panic after some kind of loud backfire sounds were heard. There was a stampede to the last car but I don't know what happened since I got off at the next stop! It was probably nothing but is this how it's going to be from now on, jumping at every loud noise? I must get louder headphones. And now on the news they're telling us to have one room that's totally sealed off (I guess I'd be going into the closet [Eek!] ) with 3 days supplies of food and water. But what about air?? [Eek!] They said not to worry, you'd be evacuated within hours since they have these fancy new detectors going up. [Paranoid] I can see it now: me and 6 cats in the closet. [Eek!]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ReginaShoe
Shipmate
# 4076

- Posted      Profile for ReginaShoe   Author's homepage   Email ReginaShoe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we already had an emergency supply shelf in our fairly well-protected basement, and it's right next to the rec room, so we would have the most important essentials right there (namely, legos for the kiddies). The down side there is that we would have to live for X number of days on little more than somewhat antiquated cans of Dinty Moore beef stew.

I think we'd be in "the living will envy the dead" territory before too long....

--------------------
"If you have any poo, fling it now." - Mason the chimp

Posts: 598 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard on the radio this afternoon that stores are just about sold out of duct tape. So maybe I'm screwed. I do have a crank-up radio (my one concession to the Y2K foolishness). In fact, this all reminds me of the Y2K frenzy, people stockpiling canned goods, buying generators, etc.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we suppposed to be doing something? That seems to have passed me by!

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am assuming that the area where I live would be very far down on the terrorists' priority list.

What, me worry?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm always alert, but i have to say i don't have much confidence that citizen reports of suspicious circumstances will be taken seriously.
About 2 mo. ago, my cousin received at his Post Office Box, a package which had been delivered by mistake.
It contained some cassette tapes which, when he played them (as a musician, he thought they might be music)- were a lot of verbage in what sounded to him like a Middle Eastern tongue (he's not a linguist but he has a really excellent ear).
So, he tried to be a good citizen, by bringing them back to the post office.
They threw them in the garbage in front of him, didn't even give him a phony "Thank you for your vigilance, sir", - or waiting til he was out of sight before disposing of them.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Guardian' is now reporting that British ministers are having to deny publicly that the deployment of troops etc is a stunt. So sceptism is rife.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

I don't know that I'm at any greater-than-average risk of terrorist attack but I'm in a probable target area for military tactical attack, if it were ever to come to that. I work a little over a mile from a US Marine Air Station and my husband is surrounded by targets; navy bases 3 miles north, 3 miles south and one mile west, including a nuclear sub base.
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live and work within spitting distance of the country's biggest port. I have long thought that if the bad guys really want to fuck up the US economy, they'd bomb the Long Beach/Los Angeles port. Or sink a few ships at the harbors' mouths.

What, me, a worse-case scenario thinker? Nah ...

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, provided there's electricity, I'll be watching Buffy, too--I have enough off-air tapes of that and many other things to stay busy for about a month! And I have tons of books.

BTW, I'd go for intravenous chocolate, rather than wine.

I have some supplies on hand--I live in earthquake land. But I don't want to live in constant panic--went through that during the aftershocks of the '89 quake.

Re: "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters--maybe it's time to get out our Electronic Thumbs and hitch a ride with the Vogons? (Note to self: take earplugs to keep out the Captain's poetry!)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Nope, I'm with you also. Not that I need an excuse to open a good red at dinner.

Lou

Posts: 526 | From: Sunnyvale CA USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just bought batteries, canned food, and to keep hydrated, four nice but cheap bottles of red wine.

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us Oz folk were talking in the Chaplaincy Department today. We opened MY packet from the PM, noting the oh-so-important fridge magnet. But the others in this little group figured they might send theirs back- let the Government deal with subsequent waste disposal. Apparently, they are being returned in droves already....
I love the examples given in the booklet about the terrorists caught so far. They begin with the setting of the scene- "In England/London/Wales blah blah"...Mekes me think you English are a naughty lot. Someone rented a garage there and made bombs in it even, so we must be suspiciouis of renters here, or so I gather... and men in gloves... blah blah blah...
I KNOW it is a serious situation. I appreciate that. But how much money did the government spend of FRIDGE MAGNETS!?

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tumbleweed
Shipmate
# 1340

- Posted      Profile for Tumbleweed   Email Tumbleweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course if nothing bad happens (or if you get bored waiting for something bad to happen) there are plenty of other things you can do with Duct Tape
Posts: 199 | From: Land of Nod //USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeterY
Shipmate
# 3962

- Posted      Profile for PeterY   Email PeterY   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may seem like a really dumb question, but would like to know how people in the UK and US are feeling about all of this?

Being in Japan my only real contact with the 'outside world' is the internet, especially news; so I've seen all the reports about tanks at Heathrow (what are they going to do with a tank???) etc, but little about what people are really feeling.

Any responses?

Posts: 120 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
You guys not lucky enough to live in Australia are doing it really tough. If you lived here, you would have received a fridge magnet in the mail, together with a signed letter from the Prime Minister.

I am VERY annoyed not to have received one of those - I bet my landlord (with whom I share a letterbox) has nabbed it [Mad] .

Is it possible to ring up and get a pack from somewhere, does anyone know? I really like fridge magnets.

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This may seem like a really dumb question, but would like to know how people in the UK and US are feeling about all of this? ... I've seen all the reports about tanks at Heathrow (what are they going to do with a tank???) etc, but little about what people are really feeling.
I for one am bemused at the surreality of it, unnerved by the sight of it all, and feeling somewhat cynical. As you say what can they do with a tank at the airport when you have someone some miles away in a car with a rocket launcher. Also, unless you keep this up forever, the terrorists will just wait until the fuss dies down then have a go. It's all very well for Blair to say that sanctions will kill innocent people so we're better off just having a war. What kind of logic is that?

I find the scenes in America equally hard to take in. I watched the news last night trying to convince myself that what I was seeing was real.

Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a photograph in a newspaper yesterday which made me smile. It showed a couple of tanks moving along a road outside an airport terminal buildimg at Heathrow London.
The tanks had stopped to let two people cross a zebra crossing. (The tank commander in the first tank was looking at those crossing and they were
looking at him)
Somehow I found it amusing. These powerful tanks courtiously waiting for the people to cross.
"After you Claude, No after you Cecil"

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeterY:
I've seen all the reports about tanks at Heathrow (what are they going to do with a tank???) etc, but little about what people are really feeling.

Any responses?

THey aren't tanks they are armoured cars, not that that makes any difference.

The prevailing feeling in London is "nice show lads, next time do it in Earl's Court and charge admission"

The only alternative view I've heard to that from a real person (i.e. not a radio presenter interviewing a politician) is that it is meant to frighten people away from the anti-war demonstration on Saturday.

My ex-wife used it as a reason to stop our 13-year-old daughter going to the demo with schoolfriends. But it also roused her to go herself with her new husband and take all her kids...

On the BBC radio news this morning the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police replied to the question "what is it all for?", and I think I more or less quote:

quote:

A combination of circumstances arose which allowed us to mount a very effective combined operation

In other words "it was a practice, but I don't want to say that because it will embarrass my boss".

Government came out at the last minute with a claim that "al Qaeda" had surface to air missiles

The problem here is that

- we already knew that, after all we sold some of them to them

- so have the IRA & we've had them around here for decades

- WTF are Scorpions at the airport going to do about it anyway? If someone has smuggled one into Britain they proibably intend to fire it from their back garden, or a truck in the street.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the on hand I feel the government may be promoting the threat of terrorist attack to try to get more public opinion behind their war plans.

On the other hand, a very dear friend has to be in London next week and I'm worrying like hell.

(and I do have a small roll of duct tape in my pocket)

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i may have missed this but what is on the fridge magnets?

Personally i'm not really panicing, just slightly worried...

Even more now that stuff happening in other countries is more personal now, because i "know" people there.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, me made it through the night over here...

Seems to me as though we're just waiting for something to happen now, both countries are on such a high alert that its almost like everyone is expecting an attack. Is it a good idea to have the population quite panicky?

tom (wondering if it is too early to start on the whisky)

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A summary of what Australians need to know about terrorism and reporting suspects.... plus phone numbers and space to write any others you need.... pizza delivery and such like....
The government spent a fortune on the crummy, not very prof.-looking things.
But still, a magnet is ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm kinda ummm er fun...... Isn't it?
Gosh, but it makes me feel safe... And how tragic for anglican rascal to not have one of his oqn..... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Sorry, the above answer is to sophs' question....

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016