homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!?
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my presonal favorite all purpose stuff is dental floss. the waxed kind. amazing what you can do with it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided that anyone who knows the second verse of the Australian national anthem is acting suspiciously, and should be reported immediately.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even more suspicious behaviour-knowing all the words of the first verse....

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, I'm off to report my children's entire school.
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australians all like ostriches
For we are young and free...

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Australians all like ostriches"????!!!!

Jeez,the perversity of some people.

Speak for yourself, mate.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

quote:
Originally posted by Lots of Yay:
Australians all like ostriches
For we are young and free...

I'm a bit suspicious of this.
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lots of Yay:
It's just a piece of carboard with a little magnet stuck on the back really (hence the complaints about how dodgy it is).

Oh good - my lusting after the fridge magnet has subsided after that news. Now if it were a proper fully-magnetised printed magnet, that would be a different story.

I was at a home for the elderly this morning and there was a whole pile of the letters (presumably with the "fridge magnets" still inside) on the table - it was all I could do not to stick a few copies up my jumper (not that I was wearing a jumper - it's just how the saying goes) and try to act innocent. But I restrained myself. Thank goodness, huh? All that guilt over a wannabe cardboard-stuck-to-a-magnet kinda frige magnet.

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zephirine of the roses

Soul of the rose
# 3323

- Posted      Profile for zephirine of the roses   Author's homepage   Email zephirine of the roses   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
Just got back from three glorious days "up north" along Lake Superior. Would have been perfect had it not been for four F-14's playing Top Gun over the lake. Damn noisy sons-a-bitches and really, really close to supersonic. I wonder if they set off boomers over the lake for grins?

In my past visits up there I have never seen/heard the jets. I guess they're just keeping us safe from the Canadians [Paranoid]

they used to do that over lake ontario in the summer. shook the house, rattled the teacups and scared the sh*t out of the aging flowerchild puttering in the garden. i think enough people complained that they stopped creating the sonic booms.

--------------------
We are, each of us, angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."

*~ Luciano De Crescenzo

Posts: 1756 | From: middle of an apple orchard in ny | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Imagine my surprise to find out that this pastic/duct tape thing was for real. I thought it was a sneaky way to stimulate the economy. If "they" are really serious about readying our homes for a possible attack, wouldn't you think they would have added WD-40 to the list? I mean, come on. How are we supposed to take the sticky off the windows and doors after unsealing our homes?

Can I come to the wine and chocolate party, instead?

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, and if you really did manage to seal off a room, that'd be good for a bit, but you'd need to scrub the carbon dioxide after a while, right?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
boyinthebands
Shipmate
# 4040

- Posted      Profile for boyinthebands   Author's homepage   Email boyinthebands   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was fine in Our Fair City until I drove into Virginia to get everyday groceries, and had the car radio on. By the time I got to Trader Joe's (a quick prayer of thanks from all who know the pleasures of Trader Joe's, please) I was a wreck.

It was enough for me to drop a bottle of wine in the buggy (but no water). And a box of Carr's Ginger Lemon Cremes.

And -- forget the duct tape -- I wonder, under what wrethced conditions would we cancel worship? What if the church gets irradiated? I don't even want to think about it all.

Writing sixteen blocks from the White House

Posts: 170 | From: Washington DC USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Well. I count myself as EXTREMELY blessed.

Because. I got TWO whole fridge magnets. (For some reason the pack got delivered to us twice; they obviously felt we hadn't imbibed it properly.)

If you've got two, the only decent thing is to auction one off to your Shipmates.

Hey, maybe all the Aussies contingency could stockpile the magnets, then sell them off around the world? [Big Grin]

I'm feeling generous, sarkycow. You can have mine for free.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, fellow-Aussies, I need to confess my suspicious behaviour. When I was a chaplain at a church school, we sang the whole anthem every day. I didn't want to, but it kind of got in my brain and, sadly, stayed there. So now, I can think of all the verses of the song- again sadly, without even trying.
What are you folk gonna do about that, hmmm?
PLUS- I used to know the Crocodile Man- whose family occasionally attended a church I was minister of, long ago.
Is this a worse crime than the anthem....? Like, knowing him?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was relieved to see on the local news last night that an area dam is being guarded by the old retired codgers who regularly fish at the lake. They assured the perky TV interviewer that they were watching for anything suspicious. Like somebody in a Lawrence of Arabia costume with a bundle of dynamite, I guess. They did report a hiker whose dog was wearing a backpack. Now that's suspicious.
The Charientist
Shipmate
# 2269

- Posted      Profile for The Charientist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I heard one radio commentator say, in the face of chemical or biological weapons, all your plastic and duct tape will only be useful for wrapping up your rigid corpse.

Yay's mention of wrong-way drivers has inspired me to report the guy -- well, the three guys -- who ran a red light in front of me this morning.

Luckily for us all, there are plenty of survival tips posted on Friday's edition of Something Awful.

--------------------
Is the Empire really a threat? Or is its much-feared fleet just little models?

My new home.

Posts: 131 | From: I've moved! So long, suckers!! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
zepharine:

quote:
they used to do that over lake ontario in the summer. shook the house, rattled the teacups and scared the sh*t out of the aging flowerchild puttering in the garden. i think enough people complained that they stopped creating the sonic booms.

yeah, i remember hearing one once on vacation. not nice!

had a conversation last night with the mother of one of my daughters school-mates while we waited for the bus. we pretty much agreed that the whole duct tape and plastic thing was rediculous, and if we went, we went. i suspect this is general ny feeling... we've grown fatalistic.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

oh and sorry to double post, but i should have added, even the mayor is poo-pooing the duct tape and plastic sheeting idea. here's a link:

buy metro-cards not duct tape

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping this report means things are less bad than they have sounded...

ABC News: False Alarm? Terror Alert Partly Based on Fabricated Information

Here's hoping, anyway.

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Osis:

b. be kept in Hyde Park for hours against my will by the police & military

I think they'll just buzz us low with helicopters to stop us hearing the speeches. The place to avoid is Trafalgar Square after about 16:00 - and the whole Whitehall/St. James/Picadilly/Green Park area of course.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coffee jim:
isn't it interesting how the word 'terrorist' has been redefined?

It used to mean people who attack 3rd parties in war in order to intimidate them.

Then it meant people who did that as long as they weren't told to do it by their government

Now, in the USA it means "Arabs". In Britain it means "Refugees".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just came back from Heathrow, Terminal 4, (not Terminal 2 which they evacuated earlier today apparently) and I am so disappointed because I did not see a single tank. [Frown]

There were the usual armed security police, and then - three camouflaged, armed with machine guns, soldiers. [Big Grin] They walked through the arrivals area in that way of waving the guns and covering each other and looking all around.

Loads of security announcements, but everything seemed normal! [Cool]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boyinthebands:
By the time I got to Trader Joe's (a quick prayer of thanks from all who know the pleasures of Trader Joe's, please)

[Not worthy!]

quote:
Writing sixteen blocks from the White House
Five here. [Frown] In the Old Post Office Building for those who know it.

Right, I'm off to lunch break at Filene's Basement, which is having a sale. And perhaps the ABC (liquor) shop on the way back...

David
currently my car does not run, so if something happens, I'm trapped, trapped like a rat, O the humanity of it

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Now, in the USA it means "Arabs".
Yet another news item I missed! I thought it referred to people who deliberately targeted civilians in their attacks. Boy, am I out of touch!
[Roll Eyes]

Sheesh--and I work for a university with hundreds of Arab students. Better get on my hotline to the FBI!

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
George (in Montreal)
Apprentice
# 3964

- Posted      Profile for George (in Montreal)   Email George (in Montreal)   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In today's Montreal Gazette, Aislin, our editorial cartoonist, came up with the best use of duct tape I've seen to date. Try this: web page

And no, I haven't bought any duct tape or plastic sheeting...

Posts: 11 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been using plastic and duct tape recently, but only because I live in a flat with a luke-warm-water "heating" system and swiss-cheese window frames.

Joan [chilly in Boston] Rasch

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Well, Fumble Bumble Inc (FBI) has just admitted that the informant that caused the elevatiuon of the threat level was lying. Seems they released his story and got the panic started before they bothered to give the guy a lie dectector test which he failed.
So...nevermind.

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Now, in the USA it means "Arabs".
I have a Muslim surname. I suppose my telephone's already bugged, my e-mail address on file, and my home under CIA surveillance. I guess it's only a matter of time before I get shipped off to a relocation camp in the desert somewhere.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
heathen mama
Shipmate
# 3767

- Posted      Profile for heathen mama   Email heathen mama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(whispers)
**shh everybody...Elizabeth Anne is one of 'them'. I knew it! shhhh!**

--------------------
I shaved my armpits for *this*?

Posts: 569 | From: the first state | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can some-one scan in and link to their fridge magnet? Large tracks of the non-australian world are developing an unhealthy obsession with them. I know I am.

Action? Off to buy some shares in duct tape.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George (in Montreal):
In today's Montreal Gazette, Aislin, our editorial cartoonist, came up with the best use of duct tape I've seen to date. Try this: web page

And no, I haven't bought any duct tape or plastic sheeting...

Thanks George, very amusing.

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Oh Well, Fumble Bumble Inc (FBI) has just admitted that the informant that caused the elevatiuon of the threat level was lying. Seems they released his story and got the panic started before they bothered to give the guy a lie dectector test which he failed.
So...nevermind.

It figures. My taxes at work! Idiotic! [Mad]

Well at least I didn't buy plastic sheeting. Everything else can be used during hurricane season... [Disappointed]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's more silliness:

Earlier this week our local news reported on a young pilot who had completed his basic training and while returning to base (or whatever) the route took him over his home town of Geneseo, Illinois - a small town on the prairie. He decided that for laughs he would buzz his hometown. Many of the residents were terrified at the sight of a low-flying plane, went screaming into the street, general mayhem ensued, etc.
An ill-advised stunt, yes, but calm down, people!

PS: Welcome, boyinthebands, and hooray for Trader Joe's!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't live in a big city, so I don't worry about terrorist attacks.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note that the 'Rapture Index' - as cited on the front page of SoF - had been going DOWN for the last few weeks. As the rest of the world increases its concern about war, terrorism etc, the masters of paranoia are getting less worried !
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have to restart my computer to scan in my magnet however I've just taken a photo with my digital camera - fairly bad quality (after the great hard drive catastrophe of 2003 things haven't been working quite the same... I'd say terrorists are to blame) but it does the job. However I don't have a website to put it on... now what do I do? Panic!!!

--------------------

Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

Okay, have located scanned in magnet here .

--------------------

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank-you kindly. That must be a HUGE fridge magnet (as fridget magnets go). However, I'm concerned that there are not enough lines for recording numbers for pizza deliveries, and nowhere does it ask you to specify the location of the duct tape.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

We don't do duct tape here. You don't need it if you've got a fridge magnet.
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel much better now. We don't have a fridge magnet, but we have a website:

www.ready.gov

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a good bit:

quote:
Be prepared to improvise with what you have on hand to protect your nose, mouth, eyes and cuts in your skin. Anything that fits snugly over your nose and mouth, including any dense-weave cotton material, can help filter contaminants in an emergency.
So if Saddam or OBL put some nasty stuff in the air, everybody be prepared to pull up your shirt over your nose.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

Problem is, if you do that shirt-pulling-over-the-face thing, people might think you're acting suspiciously and start yelling "Terrorist" and pointing in your general direction.
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
So if Saddam or OBL put some nasty stuff in the air, everybody be prepared to pull up your shirt over your nose.

In that case I'm doing a sort through my underwear, weeding out those bras 'not suitable for exposure' in case of terrorist attack.
heathen mama
Shipmate
# 3767

- Posted      Profile for heathen mama   Email heathen mama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL David!

We're also advised to have in our kits a few pairs of sterile latex gloves...but in Australia, wearing gloves is considered suspicious behavior.
I'm beginning to think that the Australians are profiling us! "Kangaroo Jack" may have been the final straw.

--------------------
I shaved my armpits for *this*?

Posts: 569 | From: the first state | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

I'm sure we're supposed have latex gloves too! I'll just get our anti-terrorist manual from it's central location in the house (it has to be accessible) and look that up... Yes, on page 12 it states that our emergency kit should include "a torch, a battery operated radio, a first aid kit including DISPOSABLE LATEX GLOVES, and copies of important personal documents."

However if I saw someone wearing their latex gloves down the street I would call 1800 123 400 because that is suspicious behaviour. Although it could just be a literal interpretation of "Prepare an emergency kit and keep it where you can find it easily".

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I note that the 'Rapture Index' - as cited on the front page of SoF - had been going DOWN for the last few weeks. As the rest of the world increases its concern about war, terrorism etc, the masters of paranoia are getting less worried !

Either that, or they think God's thoroughly sick of us.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those looked like tanks to me when I passed them at Heathrow on my way to the States (on the 11th), though I have only dinky models to compare them to. We also saw teenaged soldiers with machine guns (their hands must have been freezing--it was a cold morning). The airport security was fairly tight too--nowhere more so than in Minneapolis where every passenger had their checked baggage swabbed (for traces of explosives?) xrayed, and escorted to the counter by a security guy. You can imagine what the lines (queues) were like.

Among the people I met, nobody was going the plastic sheeting and duct-tape route, and everyone was curious as to whether anyone else was. The family remembered all too well how Aunt Hannah had stockpiled sugar through both World Wars, and how one grandmother had kept the various Civil Defence recommendations to the letter for fifty years, with a closet full of nonperishables kept carefully up to date. My English spouse has always been a skeptic with respect to duct tape anyway. He says it doesn't stick very well. The only hardware store I stopped at was doing a blazing business in snow shovels and salt, but the duct tape was barely moving, and they'd not bothered to order any extra plastic sheeting.

IMO this thread has a heavenly twin in the old 'Why do people stockpile toilet paper in the event of a blizzard?' thread. In the event of a terrorist attack, my guess is that people would do as they do when the forecast is for snow!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, ya know we are a laid back kinda mob what with the fridge magnet an' all. But yas all can bow before our latest effort:

700 sheilas and 250 blokes go starkers to spread the anti-war message.

We do maintain certain standards of decorum though, the events were separated by 2 weeks and the girls were in a paddock and the boys on tha footy field.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, did your nude protesters make shapes, ours did bbc news

And it was the middle of winter tom shivers just thinking about it

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we had nude women spelling out "No Bush" or some such curious message in the blizzard last week in Central Park. Sorry I missed it. [Roll Eyes]

As for the many practical uses for duct tape, Here is one from that always practical state of Texas.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016