homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheets, and Stockpile Goods But Don't Panic?!?
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Yes, we had nude women spelling out "No Bush" or some such curious message in the blizzard last week in Central Park. Sorry I missed it. [Roll Eyes]

They went for the full Brazilian?
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Yes, we had nude women spelling out "No Bush" or some such curious message in the blizzard last week in Central Park. Sorry I missed it. [Roll Eyes]

They went for the full Brazilian?
[pained smilie]

Ouch!

[/pained smilie]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope they didn't use duct tape as the depilatory. [Eek!] And I thought wax was bad.
Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the radio today they're saying the threat alert level is going back down a step here in the US. Good thing, too - my stockpile of chocolate and single malt is getting dangerously low.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've been munching my way through my stash, too. Last night, I ate all the dried fruit and the cheese curls.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

heathen mama
Shipmate
# 3767

- Posted      Profile for heathen mama   Email heathen mama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean I can take off the decontamination suit I've been wearing for 3 weeks? And I've just figured out how to accessorize it.

--------------------
I shaved my armpits for *this*?

Posts: 569 | From: the first state | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a friend's last night, and asked where the loo paper rolls were kept. She pointed to the Australian government terrorist pack on the table and we fell about laughing. I had not seen this couple for some weeks- since before the arrival of the pack... but it is nice to know that we are all taking it seriously, and that households round the nation are joking about it, uninfluenced by each other... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother wanted to throw out our terrorist pack yesterday! I didn't let him. He'll be sorry when we have emergency kit inspections and his is missing the latex gloves.

I am a bit concerned that there is no chapter on weapons of mass destruction however. There was an article in the paper last week saying that Australia is a likely target of a WMD. What do they expect us to do? Buy an umbrella?

I'm pleased to report though that the fitting rooms at David Jones (department store) are now terrorist proof! I went to try on a shirt a couple of weeks ago and they were all locked. Eventually a lady came and asked if I wished to try the top on and took me to a fitting room where she proceeded to fiddle around with a PIN on the specially installed panel. I asked her if it was to keep the terrorists out and she said yes. And sure enough, there were NO terrorists in there!

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Charientist
Shipmate
# 2269

- Posted      Profile for The Charientist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pointed little mini-update by Don MacLeod of the New York Press: Death, American style.

We have met the enemy, et cetera.

--------------------
Is the Empire really a threat? Or is its much-feared fleet just little models?

My new home.

Posts: 131 | From: I've moved! So long, suckers!! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm copying this in from the ABC website, because the stuff there is pretty ephemeral.

quote:
UK rejects Australian-style terrorism awareness campaign

Britain has rejected an Australian or US-style education campaign on terrorism saying it could be mocked as being simply ridiculous, or lead to panic.

Britain's Home Secretary David Blunkett who today announced that London's ability to respond to a catastrophic terror attack will be tested in the next few weeks, has rejected an Australian or US-style public awareness campaign.

"We do not intend to replicate what has happened in the United States and to some extent in Australia where the equivalent of protect and survive, which older members will remember from the 1960s, was simply mocked as being ridiculous," he said.

Such campaigns the Home Secretary suggested could also lead to panic buying of things like ducting tape.

Instead the UK Government will create a new web site with information about terrorist hazards.

You people in the UK are in terrible danger now that your government has refused to issue fridge magnets.

(I highlighted the duct tape part too, for your enjoyment)

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

I dunno... without your duct tape and fridge magnets you UK people are up shit creek.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, when you are dead and gone, Lots of Yay and I will still be out there, buying shirts in department stores, looking out for wicked foreigners and such like, not wearing suspicious-looking clothing and daily thanking the powers that be for our magnets.... And then you'll all be sorry you made fun of them all, won't you? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shouldn't write us off so quickly. We've got a TERROR ATTACK EXERCISE planned.

It's like aerobics, but involves fake smoke.

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Interesting article, yucky piccy... but where oh where are your magnets. Survival without them will be darn hard, believe me!

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this terror practice won't impact on life in London too much. Will we all have to put up with even less easy commuting on the tubes? And it's already so noisy in Paddington with the police helicopter taking off and landing on the roof of the nick (where the dungeon for terrorists is). Not that we've had as many terrorists since the IRA has given up bombing us.

I was vaccinated against smallpox as a baby; does that still work?

And I want a new fridge magnet; we've got a Sol Campbell one that lets you undress him to his underwear and we've lost one of his trainers....

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daisymay,

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has this FAQ for Smallpox, which indicates that smallpox vaccine is effective for 3-5 years. There is some evidence that old vaccinations may confer longer protection, but they aren't quite sure for how long. Also, those who were vaccinated before tend to have less reaction to the vaccine.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So some of us have been carrying around these nasty vaccination scars on our arms all these years and they're no use to us! [Frown]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I dunno... without your duct tape and fridge magnets you UK people are up shit creek.

Rubbish. We're getting a website. In the event of a terrorist attack, we can log in and email somebody about it. There might even be an online complaints form we can fill in and submit.

[Cool]

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Rubbish. We're getting a website. In the event of a terrorist attack, we can log in and email somebody about it. There might even be an online complaints form we can fill in and submit.

The website will only be of use if you're allowed to Dob In a Terrorist, which is of course the real reason for the FridgeMagnet™. It has the Dob-In phone number on it.
Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK we keep things simple.

Throughout nuclear and terrorist threats of the past, our Government's instructions have remained the same.

"At the first sign of danger, hide under the table"

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Clyde's right, and it works. My mother was bombed as a toddler in WW1, somewhere like Lowestoft, and her mother grabbed all three little girls who were there at the time and dived under the table. No-one got hurt, but they all remembered it for future circumstances.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
So some of us have been carrying around these nasty vaccination scars on our arms all these years and they're no use to us! [Frown]

[Preachy-Listen-With-Mother Voice]
They were *extremely* useful in the only successful eradication of a disease from the human population of the earth. This is still rightly regarded as one of the top public health achievments of all time. Five years of immunity for everyone until nobody else had the disease was what was needed to ensure this. I'd say such a scar is a proud badge of our membership in the group of people who took part in that great undertaking. Besides, there are many vaccinations that have to be renewed periodically, like Tetanus. Plus, there may be some residual immunity, indeed, but because they can't say for sure how much, they use the low-end estimate.
[/Preachy-Listen-With-Mother Voice]

--------------------

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HA! We should all live in East Sussex, where the residents have no need of fridge magnets or duct tape, for they have...

Fireman Armed with Washing-up Liquid.

Oh yes. If this doesn't count as an esculation of the arms race I don't know what does.

"Each East Sussex firefighter has been issued with one bottle of washing-up liquid, two car sponges, six bleach tablets and four bucket liners to decontaminate terror attack victims."

(The Post, 19/2/03, cited in the Guardian).

I am curious as to their method of calculating the appropriate quantities.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That assumes that each victim conforms to a standard size.
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

Possibly. I am assuming they are working on a babes in arms vs very large blokes quota.

But do firefighters in East Sussex have three arms? I make it one for each sponge, and one to squeeze the Washing-up liquid.

::out to sell my duct tapes shares, and buy ones in Fairy::

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Dear Educating Mother Laura,

I will now go out and have glittery tattoos inked into my spinning wheel scars so that I can flaunt them - any other takers?

And BTW, does Ecover washing up liquid work as well as Fairy? Does the latter have a spiritual element we don't know about?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clyde writes
quote:
In the UK we keep things simple.

Throughout nuclear and terrorist threats of the past, our Government's instructions have remained the same.

"At the first sign of danger, hide under the table"

Aren't we meant to remove all of the doors in the house, and use them to make a shelter under the table, and pile up mattresses for extra protection. As students we used to keep our 'protect and survive' screwdriver on the meters so we all knew where it was! Cynics have suggested that the advice was never changed so that the clear up job would be easier - they'd just have to find the tables! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And there were bomb-shelter tables with wire protection all round. People I knew from London said they all slept in them as children so they must have been big enough for a whole bunch of kids' beds.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Without wishing to spread a note of gloom, taking off all the doors isn't going to help much in the event of a poison gas or biological warfare attack.
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
new bomb shelter

Whatever you say about the British not having any magnets or duct tape - we get these! Made by a steel firm in Scunthorpe no less

(admittedly they cost £50 000)

tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Somehow I feel my bank might not give me a mortgage for one.
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I had a good look around in the tube today and all I saw was a notice saying "The Usual Suspects" and bearing a picture of a set of bags and luggage left abandoned on their own. With the usual instructions not to touch them and to wait till we reach the station before we report them to staff.

Bit boring. [Snore]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

CodeJunkie
Shipmate
# 4086

- Posted      Profile for CodeJunkie   Email CodeJunkie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
And there were bomb-shelter tables with wire protection all round. People I knew from London said they all slept in them as children so they must have been big enough for a whole bunch of kids' beds.

Seen one in Devon, at the Cobbatton Combat Collection - a private collection open to the public. Table was about 6 by 4 (feet), four-inch thick wood with a sheet of metal attached underneath, on top of metal legs with what looked like chickenwire around three of the sides.
Posts: 88 | From: Scot ex-pat | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

We Won! Hooray! the FridgeMagnet beat the Duct Tape!

The citation is here. Scroll down to #38.

I am so proud.

[sp]

[ 10. April 2003, 23:38: Message edited by: David ]

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

I vow to always honour my magnet.... if I can remember where the heck it is..... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad I didn't sell mine off earlier. Think how much it'll be worth now! And if I make a package deal with the anti terrorism book... retirement here I come!

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little quote from clare about the Ark:
quote:
"Esther, Job and the rest are now living in blacked-out rooms sealed with duct tape and plastic sheeting in order to prepare mentally, physically and spiritually for the voyage ahead!"
I was wondering if they have been issued with fridge magnets too.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is indeed a glorious day here in the deep South -- I FINALLY HAVE MY MAGNET!! That's right, folks, a kind and generous Australian brother in Christ sent me his, clearly at great risk of harm to himself -- after all, without your magnet, how will you know what to do in the event of a terrorist attack?

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you, Icarus Coot, for the centerpiece of my refrigerator magnet collection. You shall be rewarded in (the real) Heaven.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016