homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is?
AB
Shipmate
# 4060

- Posted      Profile for AB   Author's homepage   Email AB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. I think it's high time this thread was reformed.

/AB goes off to find some nails and a hammer

/erm, and a cathedral door

AB

--------------------
"This is all that I've known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this or that point: God is nevertheless love."
- Søren Kierkegaard

Posts: 513 | From: not so sunny Warwickshire | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
Robert Miller - I bow in awe at your presence.

Are you trying to lose this thing??
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
More Protestant than Wood? Saints preserve us! [Eek!] (crosses herself) Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I'm more Protestant than Saint Theresa of Avila. Does that count? [Two face]

The aim is to get a good score, Eanswyth. Wanna try again? You are currently at about -17.
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
Actually, if you are really Protestant you don't need no stinkin' images. *Godless idolators* do they even know what avatars *are*? Some heathen nonsense, if you ask me...mutter-mutter... [Disappointed]

Lyda Rose of Sharon: Excellent post. +5 points. However, I am regrettably forced to deduct 10 points for your failure to reform your life to your doctrine.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
I think I am incredibly Protestant.
<snip>
Good litle Protestant me! [Big Grin]

Umm, Rowen, angel... you are a minister of the Uniting Church of Australia, which is so liberal that it is probably right where that heresiarch J*ck $p*ng would be working should Australia be so unfortunate as to count him among her citizenry. Nice try, but no dice.
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

[Waterworks] I killed it. [Waterworks]

That wasn't your intention?? [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
I have decided that there is too much fun going on on this thread. I think, therefore, you are all much less protestant than the rest of the ship, who haven't participated in this thread.

Fun? Fun?? FUN??? This isn't about fun. This is about sorting the wheat from the weeks, I'll have you know.

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
I agree. I think it's high time this thread was reformed.

/AB goes off to find some nails and a hammer

/erm, and a cathedral door

You touch my Cathedral's door with your filthy little hammer and I'll implant it in you so firmly that Jack the Ripper couldn't find it! [Mad]
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear friend, you are sooo wrong about me! [Big Grin] In our monthly denominational newspaper, they look at the current discussions on the Anglican-UCA ministry and mutual recognition in Australia. And they note that the UCA would need bishops if there were to be full recognition, and that the UCA has a bit of a "thing" about bishops... And I went "hmmmmm.... We are soooo Protestant that we would rather eat brussel sprouts than have bishops". (I chose sprouts as my analogy, because I don't like them!) Anyway, the crux of the matter is that I am soooo liberally Protestant that I just about fall off the scale.
Plus, I have short curly hair, am female, and wear Docs... and if that doesn't make me a Protestant UCA clergy, I don't know what else would! [Big Grin]
What would you know about it, dearie? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
You are just jealous of the deep Protestant relationship scz and I share because of our Presbyterian roots! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
AB
Shipmate
# 4060

- Posted      Profile for AB   Author's homepage   Email AB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
You touch my Cathedral's door with your filthy little hammer and I'll implant it in you so firmly that Jack the Ripper couldn't find it! [Mad]

anglicanrascal: -10 pts, fits of rage (Galatians 5:19-20).

Live by the sword...

[Wink]

AB

[ 07. July 2003, 09:58: Message edited by: AB ]

--------------------
"This is all that I've known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this or that point: God is nevertheless love."
- Søren Kierkegaard

Posts: 513 | From: not so sunny Warwickshire | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AB:
quote:

anglicanrascal: -10 pts, fits of rage (Galatians 5:19-20).
Ps 69:9!

Who made you judge, bucko? Matthew 7:1!!

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglicanrascal,

Liberals can be the most protestant people in proper protestant churches. Just because the liberals in your own denomination like rubbing bums with the RCs does not mean that we're all like that. If you cared to actually read the material on my website you may find it most interesting - of a nature you had never considered before. I'm most certainly a protestant, but I protest at anything I find which is unjust in any church - protestant or otherwise.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AB
Shipmate
# 4060

quote:
Who made you judge, bucko? Matthew 7:1!!

I see your Matthew 7:1 and raise* you 1 Corinthians 5:12

* GAMBLING IS SINFUL!

AB

--------------------
- Søren Kierkegaard

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I trump you both with the following Protestant terms....
moderator, assembly, Lord's Supper, memorial, 45 minute sermon, Elder!

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
But I trump you both with the following Protestant terms....
moderator, assembly, Lord's Supper, memorial, 45 minute sermon, Elder!

If you are an elder and the husband of only one wife, I will grant you 3 Protesant Points.
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Robert Miller - I bow in awe at your presence.

Are you trying to lose this thing??

Eek. Undone by an Anglican.

[runs away like a frightened child]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Elephenor
Shipmate
# 4026

- Posted      Profile for Elephenor   Email Elephenor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Strathclydezero:
Notably we hold true to the Westminster Confession, approved by the Kirk's General Assembly in 1647 as "most orthodox and grounded upon the word of God", which denounces the pope as the anti-christ.

I think you'll find you've back-slid from this position, actually...

quote:
This Church no longer affirms the following contents of the Westminster Confession of Faith:
He (the Pope of Rome) is Antichrist, that Man of Sin and Son of Perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God.
This Church therefore dissociates itself from the above statements and does not require its office-bearers to believe them.

(Declaratory Act Anent the Westminster Confession of Faith, 21st May 1986)

How many points do you lose for not having left in protest at this apostasy?

--------------------
"Man is...a `eucharistic' animal." (Kallistos Ware)

Posts: 214 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

And now, my little Anglican friend, whilst admitting defeat in the trumping, [Big Grin] I can prove my allegiance to Protestantism by my commitment to an incredible document, known as-
The Basis of Union (of the Uniting Church in Australia)

What have you to say to this? It contains such Protestant logic as this:

"10. REFORMATION WITNESSES
The Uniting Church continues to learn of the teaching of the Holy Scriptures in the obedience and freedom of faith, and in the power of the
promised gift of the Holy Spirit, from the witness of the Reformers as expressed in various ways in the Scots Confession of Faith (1560), the Heidelberg Catechism (1563), the Westminster Confession of Faith (1647), and the Savoy Declaration (1658).
In like manner the Uniting Church will listen to the preaching of John Wesley in his Forty-Four Sermons (1793). It will commit its ministers and instructors to study these statements, so that the
congregation of Christ’s people may again and again be reminded of the grace which justifies
them through faith, of the centrality of the person and work of Christ the justifier, and of the need for a constant appeal to Holy Scripture."

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the witness of the Reformers as expressed in various ways in the Scots Confession of Faith (1560), the Heidelberg Catechism (1563), the Westminster Confession of Faith (1647), and the Savoy Declaration (1658).
In like manner the Uniting Church will listen to the preaching of John Wesley in his Forty-Four Sermons (1793).

Westminster and Wesley? Calvinists and Arminians?

Now where did I hear of a church that could hold both those ideas at the same time?

Oh, I remember now...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't tell the rest of us, will you?

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
And now, my little Anglican friend, whilst admitting defeat in the trumping, [Big Grin] I can prove my allegiance to Protestantism by my commitment to an incredible document, known as-
The Basis of Union (of the Uniting Church in Australia)

Whaaat??? All UCA ministers have to say they agree to that??? [Killing me] [Killing me]

How many of them do that with a straight face?

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe you thought Rome had everything to do with my surname I secretly pm'd you, AngRasc. Daaaannnnggg.

Well, at least I gots the Scottish Pres. thing ala John Knox going on with the Indian killed off side, read it and weep...and try not to break the the 10th Commandment bucko. [Mad]

[ 07. July 2003, 14:47: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Strathclydezero:
Notably we hold true to the Westminster Confession, approved by the Kirk's General Assembly in 1647 <snip>...

quote:
Originally posted by Elephenor:
I think you'll find you've back-slid from this position, actually...
quote:
This Church no longer affirms {that}(the Pope of Rome) is Antichrist, that Man of Sin and Son of Perdition, .
This Church therefore dissociates itself from the above statements <snip>.

(Declaratory Act Anent the Westminster Confession of Faith, 21st May 1986)

Nice to see that it only took just under 340 years for that little misunderstanding to be sorted out. Gives you hope for Christian unity in, say, 2000 years time... [Roll Eyes]

[ 07. July 2003, 15:52: Message edited by: Rhisiart ]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhisiart:
]Nice to see that it only took just under 340 years for that little misunderstanding to be sorted out. Gives you hope for Christian unity in, say, 2000 years time... [Roll Eyes]

2000 years? Only 2000 years. [Ultra confused]

If it took 340 years to forgive the Pope - just ONE Roman Catholic - in 2000 years time we'll only just have got round to the Cardinal Bishop of Sabina-Poggio Mirteto. it'll be 3 or 4 hundred billion years before we've dealt with all of them. One at a time. Starting at the top, and working our way down.

It'll take even longer if they carry on breeding.

You obviously haven't got the hang of this religious bigotry thing yet, have you? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Ken

Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am probably also one of the few people on board to have been to a DUP political rally and also furthermore to my credentials I am the only one on board the ship who is using a John Calvin avatar.

So There!

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Actually, anglicanrascal, adherance to the Basis of Union is a noted point in confirmation,
ordination, and induction (of a new minister) services in the Uniting Church, so I guess there would be several occasions in the life of a clergyperson in our Church, when they promise to God that their service to God, expressed through our denomination, will be undergirded by the B.U.
Church disipline is exercised in our Church when a minister resigns from his/her ordination as a Minister-of-the-Word, at the request of the Church- the belief is that they can no longer ethically minister with integrity within the B.U. framework... and this happens occasionally. The B.U. is regarded as the level point... And certainly, when new denominations join the UCA- (and this still happens occasionally with small migrant denominations), the folk therein have to agree to the UCA and its B.U.
The B.U. and its study is a significant part of all ministry training in the UCA, both of laity and ordained.... It is used as parts of hymns and prayers....
So, there you are. Dismiss it if you want to, but remember that, in the history of Christianity in Australia, it played a significant role in the 20th century, as it brought together 3 different denominations into one new denomination, living out its belief in the rightness of Church unity.

[ 08. July 2003, 07:39: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

AB
Shipmate
# 4060

Getting back to our regularly scheduled protestant silliness (not that the Lord's true path is silly, you understand)

Perhaps some sort of vote on the most protestant contributers of this thread is called for? A bit like a ship of fools "Protestant Idol". Though I would naturally protest at the connection with Idols. [Disappointed]

AB

--------------------
- Søren Kierkegaard

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Agreed. Voting... hmmm... casting of lots etc... Well, as long as there was no anti-Protestant suggestions, like gambling, dancing, guessing outcomes,talking to folk who are different from us, or having fun therein, I think this is a good idea!

--------------------

Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes voting is good - but I'll win.

I have decided that being in a country where I am the only Protestant and the rest are Roman Catholic and I haven't converted to Roman Catholicism yet makes me the best yet.

Good grief - the more I think about it the more I wonder why I haven't written vast theological tomes espousing great biblical truths yet.

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Miller:
I have decided that being in a country where I am the only Protestant and the rest are Roman Catholic and I haven't converted to Roman Catholicism yet makes me the best yet.

They haven't burnt you at the stake yet. You can't be doing a very good job of being a Protestant.

-1 PP.

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I can verify that Mr. Miller was burnt at the stake twice and was impervious to the flames (entirely thanks to the wonder working power of God).

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, I can verify that Mr. Miller was burnt at the stake twice and was impervious to the flames (entirely thanks to the wonder working power of God).

So that's what the new Spire is for, then - a place for the regular burning of Mr Miller? [Big Grin]

[ 09. July 2003, 12:18: Message edited by: Rhisiart ]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:

OK
+1 PP for Mr Miller
-1 PP for Jimi Kendricks for not rescuing him before his body had a chance to prove itself impervious to the flames.

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

I was in a quiet place praying and crying out to God on behalf of my brother at the time. The Lord had mercy on him and heard my feeble requests.

As any good Protestant knows, praying about a problem is better (and much more effective) than dealing with it.

[ 09. July 2003, 13:05: Message edited by: Jimi Kendricks ]

--------------------

AB
Shipmate
# 4060

\AB nails a request for a Protestant vote onto Anglicanrascal's cathedral door.

\95 of the beggars

[Smile]

AB

--------------------
- Søren Kierkegaard

halle lou
Shipmate
# 4090

- Posted      Profile for halle lou   Email halle lou   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the matter was never officially settled, I feel it's my Christian duty to dispel any myths on the issue of dates on the Church calendar:

A good Protestant should know only two very important dates- the first one being December 25th which is, of course, the day that Jesus was born. The second date is Easter Sunday which, though the date may vary, is most certainly the day that Jesus rose from the dead.

Anything else is extraneous information. [Disappointed]

Posts: 146 | From: Cumbria | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Heretic!

Good Friday is of course the main day in the Protestant church year.

After that, probably Harvest Festival.

Easter and Christmas are secularised papistical idolatrous days...

--------------------
Ken

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

JK: +2PP.

AB: +95 PP and a slap around the side of the head. If you haven't repaired the door to my satisfaction within 24 hours, it will be the worse for you.

Buenaventura: Ken's half-right, sorry. -2PP.

Ken: Where in Holy Scripture are we commanded to remember Good Friday? The Lord's Day is enough for all True Protestants. -1 PP.

halle lou
Shipmate
# 4090

- Posted      Profile for halle lou   Email halle lou   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I'll accept -1 for Good Friday--for the truly devout. However, Harvest Festival is only celebrated in certain countries, which puts many of us devout Protestants out of the running. Perhaps Thanksgiving could be considered an alternative- another one of those good Christian holidays.
Posts: 146 | From: Cumbria | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on vacation, and returned to find this excellent thread. I am very Protestant, though there are a few blots on my escutcheon.

First, in my favor as a Protestant, my history (it is very Protestant of a US citizen to have connections to the Massachusetts Bay Colony). Of course, I am descended from a Mayflower traveller, but more importantly, also to many people who left England on a number of other boats to join John Winthrop in creating a City on a Hill in Massachusetts. We remained Congregationalist for many years. I was baptised in a Congregationalist Church. My husband is descended from Mass Bay Colony puritan forebears as well. His father, grandfather, and great grandfather were Methodist ministers. My great-grandfather was a Congregational Pastor, my aunt is a UCC minister, my uncle is a Missouri Synod Lutheran minister. My grandfather called Catholics "mackerel-snappers". My parents are one Baptist and one Congregationalist. I read the Bible regularly, and think about what it means. I think the eucharist is a memorial, and that it's.just.bread.and.wine. Incense makes me sneeze.

On the minus side, I am a member of an Episcopal parish, and like ecclesiastical purple, bells, candles, stained glass, gothic architecture and processions. I detest bangy-clangy bands as part of worship. I hate tambourines. I am currently wearing a Jerusalem cross. I adore Tallis, Palestrina and the like. I think choirs should be properly vested and sing well. I think it's disrespectful not to dress nicely for church.
A can read Latin, and enjoy it as part of the service.

So I think Wood is probably more Protestant than I am. As to Wood being in the Bible, Moth, I'm disappointed in you. I found many (proving my Protestantism). Just to cite a few:

The Lord admires his carving skill:

Exodus 35:33
And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of Wood, to make any manner of cunning work.

His presence ensures that the land is fertile:

Numbers 13:20
And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be Wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land....

He is a god, himself:

Deuteronomy 28:36
The LORD shall bring thee, and thy king which thou shalt set over thee, unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, Wood and stone.

He is mighty in battle:

2 Samuel 18:8
For the battle was there scattered over the face of all the country: and the Wood devoured more people that day than the sword devoured.

King David is advised to present him with many gifts:

2 Samuel 24:22
And Araunah said unto David, Let my lord the king take and offer up what seemeth good unto him: behold, here be oxen for burnt sacrifice, and threshing instruments and other instruments of the oxen for Wood.

He is a necessary precursor to fire...

Proverbs 26:20
Where no Wood is, there the fire goeth out: ...

It is unwise to attack him:

Ecclesiastes 10:9
Whoso removeth stones shall be hurt therewith; and he that cleaveth Wood shall be endangered thereby.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

Whoso removeth stones shall be hurt therewith; and he that cleaveth Wood shall be endangered thereby.

[Killing me]

You know me so well.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

I am vindicated! Yay!
Our state publically-owned radio station today interviewed an ethics specialist from my denomination. As part of the intro, the announcer said that the guest was from the only "culturally-authentic Protestant church in the nation- a home grown Protestant denomination- the Uniting Church in Australia."
I could but only agree. [Big Grin]

[ 11. July 2003, 08:02: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure how merging two and a bit foreign denominations makes you home grown.
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Neither am I sure how it works, but for the purposes of this thread I will take anything and state it emphatically! [Big Grin]
And, 'sides, if the ABC said it, it must be true!

--------------------

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to this right wing fundie, everything the ABC says isn't true. (Actually I have nothing against the ABC and will concede the point on this one. But my independent evengelical church must then count as a home grown church. [Big Grin] )
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Stubborn bloody-minded Canberra person!
lol.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, anglicanrascal! Where're my ProtPoints?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Hey, anglicanrascal! Where're my ProtPoints?

Hmmm, let's take a look at a couple of your "Recent Posts". On Bizarre Practices XLIV you posted:
quote:
To Father July,

Bless me, father, for I have sinned. I've had very impure thoughts. Am I damned in eternity? Then why don't you come up and see me sometime? You could see my Durer engravings....

We are NOT amused. [Disappointed]

And on Dinner Party, not Malt Shop (whatever a malt shop is), you posted:
quote:
Gosh, I always thought sine nomine was pronounced See-nay No-mee-nay, from meaning "without name", that is, all the numberless saints. What's this No-mine thing?

Furthermore, your "Profile" lists you as being interested in the "Liberal arts".

Well - shall we tot up some points for you?

Call No Man Father: -2 PP
Popish Confession: -4 PP
Very Impure Thoughts: -3 PP
Suggestive Invitation Without Mention Of A Chaperone: -4 PP
Engraven Images: -3 PP
Knowledge Of and Communication In a Popish Language: -2 PP
Communication in a Popish Language using Romish Pronunciation Thereof: -4 PP
Being a Scoundrelous Liberal: -4 PP

Shall I look for further evidence? Do you have anything to say in your defence?

Pax out,
anglicanrascal

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

What about the balance side -- the pro-Protestant points?

But as you lay them out, my Popish sins (and wickednesses) are manifold. I acknowledge and bewail them. Their burden is intolerable.

--------------------

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
What about the balance side -- the pro-Protestant points?

But as you lay them out, my Popish sins (and wickednesses) are manifold. I acknowledge and bewail them. Their burden is intolerable.

Honesty is the best policy: +2 PP.

So are you going to explain why you are deserving of any Protestant Points?

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Tscha. Didn't you read my post? Okay, I'll reiterate the pro-Prot-points:

quote:
First, in my favor as a Protestant, my history (it is very Protestant of a US citizen to have connections to the Massachusetts Bay Colony). Of course, I am descended from a Mayflower traveller, but more importantly, also to many people who left England on a number of other boats to join John Winthrop in creating a City on a Hill in Massachusetts. We remained Congregationalist for many years. I was baptised in a Congregationalist Church. My husband is descended from Mass Bay Colony puritan forebears as well. His father, grandfather, and great grandfather were Methodist ministers. My great-grandfather was a Congregational Pastor, my aunt is a UCC minister, my uncle is a Missouri Synod Lutheran minister. My grandfather called Catholics "mackerel-snappers". My parents are one Baptist and one Congregationalist. I read the Bible regularly, and think about what it means. I think the eucharist is a memorial, and that it's.just.bread.and.wine. Incense makes me sneeze.
I also think the whole "Vicar of Christ on Earth" thing is deeply wrong, and that no human can pronouce anything infallibly, that ladies can be priested, and that there isn't anything magical about being a priest.

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As to Wood being in the Bible, Moth, I'm disappointed in you. I found many (proving my Protestantism). Just to cite a few:

The Lord admires his carving skill:

Exodus 35:33
And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of Wood, to make any manner of cunning work.

His presence ensures that the land is fertile:

Numbers 13:20
And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be Wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land....

He is a god, himself:

Deuteronomy 28:36
The LORD shall bring thee, and thy king which thou shalt set over thee, unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, Wood and stone.

He is mighty in battle:

2 Samuel 18:8
For the battle was there scattered over the face of all the country: and the Wood devoured more people that day than the sword devoured.

King David is advised to present him with many gifts:

2 Samuel 24:22
And Araunah said unto David, Let my lord the king take and offer up what seemeth good unto him: behold, here be oxen for burnt sacrifice, and threshing instruments and other instruments of the oxen for Wood.

He is a necessary precursor to fire...

Proverbs 26:20
Where no Wood is, there the fire goeth out: ...

Well, if he didn't know he was in there himself, he can't be very protestant, now can he?

Besides which, I think they must mean another Wood entirely. In fact, from the quotations you've given, it sounds suspiciously like Holy Writ has got itself confused* between Wood and Erin. Just try putting 'Erin' where 'Wood' is, and you'll see what I mean, especially in that nice quotation from 2 Samuel 18.

* I am aware that this makes me an heretik and thus not protestant, but I was losing anyway!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Tscha. Didn't you read my post? Okay, I'll reiterate the pro-Prot-points:

quote:
I also think the whole "Vicar of Christ on Earth" thing is deeply wrong, and that no human can pronouce anything infallibly, that ladies can be priested, and that there isn't anything magical about being a priest.
Hrmmmm - is anyone else convinced by this? It sounds pretty good to me ... too good for someone who is currently on about -134 PP.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Could be a Marcionite...

--------------------
Ken

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Could be a Marcionite...

Heck - wot's a Marcionite? Some kind of early heresy? Should I add or deduct PPs from you, ken, for knowing about them?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016