homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family

This apologizing for past wrongs is getting totally out of hand. I mean, he took the comb out of the chief's head for God's sake. He deserved to become the entree.

Just another example of missionaries trying to destroy a vibrant native tradition, if you ask me.

And if I were one of his descendents, I think I'd be a little leery of attending the reconciliation dinner.

[ 30. November 2003, 17:18: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but consumption was such a romantic death...

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wondering if it's the family or the Fijians who are going to get their just desserts....

RR
MTL

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[harp music as we fade to this scene]

Missionary through interpreter: Why do you have that comb in your hair?

Chief: It got stuck three days ago and I thought it looked rather fetching.

Missionary: Maybe I can help you get it out.

Chief: No really that's all right.

Missionary: Here. [removes comb]

Chief: Um, actually, it is not permitted to touch the chief's head.

Missionary: And how was I supposed to know that?

Chief: Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Missionary: Bite me.

Chief: Bad thing to say to cannibals. Get him, boys!

[scuffle ensues; harp music over fade to black]

[ 14. October 2003, 13:51: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the best bit:

quote:
One villager who took part in the feast was quoted in contemporary accounts as saying "we ate everything but his boots".

One of his boots is reportedly on display in the Fiji Museum.

The boot is "reportedly" in the museum? It wasn't possible to check? They just looked in the Rough Guide, didn't they?

I wish I was a journalist.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does missionary taste like chicken?
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my favourite story of the day by FAR....

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

As long as we're on the subject...

CAUTION: Do not read this at lunch. Unless you're a cannibal, of course

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Must stop mis-reading the thread-title as Fenians [Eek!] say sorry to eaten Britons' family ...]

(Am not a member of the DUP!)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, when I read your second article I kept wondering how, if the accounts were accurate, the Fijians avoided eating themselves into extinction. I think there must be some journalistic liberties in play.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I think there must be some journalistic liberties in play.

Oh surely not. Most of them were written by members of the clergy. I can't believe the clergy would exaggerate.
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This just reconfirms something that I've always believed in deeply and passionately - You can't just go around taking combs out of peoples hair.
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Oh surely not. Most of them were written by members of the clergy. I can't believe the clergy would exaggerate.

Of course not. Whatever was I thinking? Perhaps I should be punished by being eaten.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:

First you'll have to learn how to use the English subjunctive properly.

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Plain Old Wally:
This just reconfirms something that I've always believed in deeply and passionately - You can't just go around taking combs out of peoples hair.

My mother taught me never to use someone else's comb. Now I know why.
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From Sine Nomine's second link: At Bau, the people preserve human flesh and chew it as some chew tobacco. They carry it about with them, and use it in the same way as tobacco.
Well, at least they're not smoking cigarettes. Filthy habit.
Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Have you ever thought of becoming a missionary, Kyralessa?
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K˙ralessa:
quote:

Well, I'm an English teacher. Don't hold your breath.

Repeat after me: Grammar is descriptive, not prescriptive.

(Actually, I really don't have a scooby what the English- or any other- subjunctive is.)

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet the Fijians were just sorry because English food is so bland.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
I bet the Fijians were just sorry because English food is so bland.

You've been watching Goodness Gracious Me again, haven't you?

Anyway, Brits have adopted curry as our national dish - try eating a chicken vindaloo and call our food bland, punk!

(In fact, if you can speak afterwards, I'll be impressed [Biased] )

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eating you was their form of compliment. But it's one I can do without. [Projectile]

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Posts: 1097 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New weight-loss strategy: Fijian cannibalism stories! Read one before every meal.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhisiart:

Anyway, Brits have adopted curry as our national dish - try eating a chicken vindaloo and call our food bland, punk!

(In fact, if you can speak afterwards, I'll be impressed [Biased] )

Oh dear me! Brits can handle hotter food than Texans??
[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Ah! Now we're cookin'

BTW, apparently we taste like pork...(or Spam™, which raises some interesting speculations in my mind.)

Homo Sapiens--The Other White Meat™

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only if the missionary is less than 21 years old.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There's a place for Peppone on Fox News. No one will notice there.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:

Only if the missionary is less than 21 years old.
21? I thought it was 18. At 21 they're already considered beef, in my cookbook.

And of course that's when I'd make...wait for it...a beef cake.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Ah! Now we're cookin'

BTW, apparently we taste like pork...(or Spam™, which raises some interesting speculations in my mind.)

Homo Sapiens--The Other White Meat™

The link above makes many references to "soup to nuts." Shouldn't that phrase be used the other way around?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, except for the eating part, the Fujiians were only a few hundred years behind the Brits and the rest of the civilized world in drawing and quartering and other assorted tortuous fun and games.

Civilization has only become "nice" relatively recently. At times. When it feels like it. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I'm an English teacher. Don't hold your breath.

Repeat after me: Grammar is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Your students must love never getting red marks on their papers.

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I'm an English teacher. <snip>(Actually, I really don't have a scooby what the English- or any other- subjunctive is.)

[Eek!]

Please, Peppone, please tell me either that you're joking about being an English teacher, or that you're joking about not knowing what the subjunctive is!

Please?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As long as we're on the subject...

CAUTION: Do not read this at lunch. Unless you're a cannibal, of course

I'd advise against reading the holocaust-denying material on this site at lunch as well. Or indeed any other time of the day.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the page titles made me feel a little icky.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by josephine:
quote:
Well, I'm an English teacher. <snip>(Actually, I really don't have a scooby what the English- or any other- subjunctive is.)

[Eek!]

Please, Peppone, please tell me either that you're joking about being an English teacher, or that you're joking about not knowing what the subjunctive is!

Please?

If I were an English teacher, I'd be sure to know a subjunctive If I were to be sitting on one.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Eric the half a bee:
I'd advise against reading the holocaust-denying material on this site at lunch as well. Or indeed any other time of the day.

Huh? This is just a fun little cannibalism thread. What the hell are you talking about?

I seem to be missing a beat here.

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He beamed out to another thread and beamed back in. Ignore him, and do please continue with this most excellent thread.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Huh? This is just a fun little cannibalism thread. What the hell are you talking about?

I seem to be missing a beat here.

Some of the material on the heretical press site you linked to is a bit dubious in nature. The links page is scary.

--------------------

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

It occurs to me that cannibals are probably without racial or ethnic prejudice, since, more than most people, they know we're all the same under the skin.

We could learn from them.

Of course there are people who're convinced, despite evidence to the contrary, that brown eggs taste different than white eggs...

Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

Surely brown eggs taste more natural, like bread. I mean, like brown bread is more natural tasting than white bread, not that brown eggs taste like bread. I've never heard of a blindfold taste test done on eggs.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Some of the material on the heretical press site you linked to is a bit dubious in nature. The links page is scary.

Well, aren't you just Curious George. Of course one assumes they wouldn't call themselves "The Heretical Press" for no reason, now would we?

Besides you don't get a lot of options when you're searching for "Fiji" + "Cannibals".

You take what you can get.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
I've never heard of a blindfold taste test done on eggs.

I can't back this up, but I think something to that effect has been done.

Like I said, all the same under the skin. It's a small, small world. (Tying into the Disney thread.)

Of course, this brings up some interesting questions about "You are what you eat."

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I want to know is: How did they phrase the note of apology?

I mean, this isn't something you'll find in 1001 Useful Letters for Every Occasion or Miss Manners.

Rather reminds me of a bizarre news story I read several years ago. A family was hosting a dinner party one night. Apparently a crack in a waste water pipe had been allowing sludge and slime to build up inside a wall.

The family and guests were at the table, when suddenly that wall, which was one of the dining room walls, gave way, showering everyone with it's contents.

The family offered a $100 prize to anyone who wrote the best apology letter.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

You're making that up.
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We apologize for eating your ancestor. We were having a bad day.

What's so tough about that?

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Better yet, and more accurately:

We apologize for eating your ancestor. We were having a bad hair day.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:

We need a smiley that represents a rim shot! [Overused]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:

We enjoyed your ancestor at dinner. However, we now realise it was his company and wit that we should have enjoyed. We apologise for this error.

Actually, I recall reading somewhere that Fijians beileved that a person's spirit resided in the top of their head. Accordingly, it was an aggressive act to touch someone's head.

[ 15. October 2003, 01:34: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

quote:

From Josephine:

Please?

Sorry.

quote:
Your students must love never getting red marks on their papers.

Wo! Red pen!!!???? That's the biggest no-no in teaching right now. Not only am I not allowed to use red pen on papers, I'm not allowed to be a "talking red pen" either. None of this "I'm sorry, that's wrong. Does anyone else want to try?"

Hey, I have a colleague who was asked to stop putting ticks on her students' work. (Supposing it was ever "correct".) Apparently it was hurtful to the students who got it "wrong".

Anyway, back to those cannonballs.

[ 15. October 2003, 01:52: Message edited by: Peppone ]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wo! Red pen!!!???? That's the biggest no-no in teaching right now. Not only am I not allowed to use red pen on papers, I'm not allowed to be a "talking red pen" either. None of this "I'm sorry, that's wrong. Does anyone else want to try?"
I have heard this sort of stuff before, and think it is the most arrant nonsense. I feel sorry for Peppone for having to live under such a ludicrous system. Any child who got through school, let alone life, with nothing more damaging than the sight of some red ink would be doing unbelievably well.

What is more, in life we all have to cope with the fact that we get things wrong at times, our mistakes carry consequences with them, but being wrong is not (normally) the end of the world. I believe schools by and large to be supportive environments - aren't they good places to learn how to cope with being wrong? If a child enters the world of work wrapped up in so much cotton wool that they have never had an error pointed out to them, ISTM that they will have a very rude awakening indeed.

(All of the above would have been written in red ink if I were handwriting this. But it isn't as I'm not.)

[Message edited due to second thoughts about the use of the Subjunctive.]

[ 15. October 2003, 02:35: Message edited by: The Wanderer ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

Yes, as usual, Laura meant what I said.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016