homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woops, how did that happen? Sorry, folks.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
RooK wrote: I believe that humans would be best served arranged on their knees in the grovelling and begging position they were probably in during their last moments.
And presumably the position RooK is in for a good portion of his waking ones.

-Presleyterian (who has not forgotten RooK's "put down the fork" line, but who believes that revenge, like Bavarian Cream Pie, is a dish best served cold)

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

In Fiji it is regarded as rather unseemly to joke about 'boloku' (the traditional practice of eating human flesh) unless you are Fijian,

I know. I feel much the same way about queer jokes. I was just glad that I had finally hit upon a group where some shipmate or another didn't pipe up with "some of my best friends are Fijian Cannibals, and I'm highly offended."
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:

Presley, I am so very glad you took advantage of that. I was going to, but felt I was vulnerable to counter-attack.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
RooK wrote: I believe that humans would be best served arranged on their knees in the grovelling and begging position they were probably in during their last moments.

-Presleyterian (who has not forgotten RooK's "put down the fork" line, but who believes that revenge, like Bavarian Cream Pie, is a dish best served cold)

I suspect that insulting Preslyterian is similar to invoking the Goat Curse the Cubs have been suffering from since the 1940s.

RooK, if you ever want to drive a nice car again, I suggest you apologize.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pres, darling, I'm sure you're anything but a cold dish.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, you back-stabbing bastard.

tomb, face it - you're more scared of Presleyterian than I am because you're afraid she'll belittle your organ.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, some of my good friends are Fijians (though not cannibals) and I'm not offended, and I doubt they would be either. Today they're all too pleased at having beaten the Americans in the Rugby World Cup to bother, anyway. However, in the Islands I'd leave the jokes to them.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

tomb, face it - you're more scared of Presleyterian than I am because you're afraid she'll belittle your organ.

You silly man, at least I have an organ to play.
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
RooK wrote: Pres, I'm sure you're anything but a cold dish.
In the words of British Prime Minister Francis Urquhart, "You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
You silly man, at least I have an organ to play.

But I've done sacrificial giving for a better organ.
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

quote:
"You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Which is also the best rejoinder to any inquiry about tomb's prodigious organ.

And Sine Nomine, I have no doubt that you indeed have.

[ 16. October 2003, 06:27: Message edited by: Presleyterian ]

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

Cool! Now I've got a new signature!

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian web site. [Paranoid]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an American rugby team?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, some of my good friends are Fijians (though not cannibals) and I'm not offended, and I doubt they would be either. Today they're all too pleased at having beaten the Americans in the Rugby World Cup to bother, anyway.

There's a Rugby World Cup? And an American national team? Who'd a-thunk?! [Big Grin]

I wonder if there are actual Americans on the team. I've never known a single rugby player in my entire life.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, I think we should have been told. Momentous events have taken place, and there hasn't been a thing in the news.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I've never known a single rugby player in my entire life.

I have. [Big Grin]

Knew a Jesuit too, for that matter. Need to tell La Druid that story some time.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
And Sine Nomine, I have no doubt that you indeed have.

The new organ at our cathedral, for which I did sacrificial giving, is a wonderful instrument, as I am sure tomb will concur.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rugby is momentous?

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

Indeed there is a Rugby World Cup, taking place in Aus. Canberra is hosting the Tongan, Welsh and Italian teams - and much singing is being done by all. Husband reports that the rugby is a little underwhelming at the moment. I wouldn't know. The flags are pretty though.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
tomb's prodigious organ
God, I love that. Would that it were true. "Significant," perhaps--depending on the context. "Prodigious,"--never, unless under the glass of the stupefying magnetism of the rest of the package.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

I am referring, of course, to the Worship Space they have hired me to perform in.
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Husband reports that the rugby is a little underwhelming at the moment.

Oh. Well then. Not momentous after all.

Sorry, Mousethief. Didn't mean to be alarmist. We can all get back to watching the World Series*.

*Yes, I know it's obnoxious of us to call it the World Series when only American and two Canadian teams have a chance of getting into it. That's the point.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Actually, I read somewhere that the World Series was named after the New York World, a now-defunct newspaper, who were an early sponsor. Now THERE is a neat trick -- branding that continues after the brand no longer exists! Don't that just knock stadium naming rights into a cocked batter's helmet!

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

Does this qualify for the most-derailed thread this year?
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Shut up, Christine. This is good stuff.
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Use of title 'World' - potential to mislead in sporting events [Roll Eyes]

While the World Series (apparently played for some form of rounders) only involves Americans and their colony to the north, the Rugby World Cup (TM) includes 20 countries from around the globe. However, in effect only England and its former colonies (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) have any chance of winning, so probably not really much different to the World Series.

(Please note that admitting that England are possible winners of the World Cup is really, really difficult to admit... [Waterworks] )

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Now THERE is a neat trick -- branding that continues after the brand no longer exists!

There is a Scottish lullaby and/or children's song, certainly known to all True Scotsmen, that stars "ally bally ally-bally bee".

It was an advertising jingle for "Coulter's Candy", a sweetie that probably hasn't been available since the 19th century.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ally, bally, ally bally bee,
Sittin' on your mammie's knee,
Greetin' for a wee bawbee.
Tae buy some Coulter's Candy.

[Waterworks]

Man, that takes me back.

[ 16. October 2003, 13:49: Message edited by: Peppone ]

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just went and sang it to my 2 year old, part-Chinese son. (He won't sleep.) He gazed at me in a kind of wonder as the tears ran down my cheeks.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Funny how you can watch your rugby team get booted around the park, and laugh it off, and say your country means nothing much to you now, it's just where you were born: and then someone reminds you of a lullaby that elsewise you'd probably never have thought of again in your life, and suddenly the room goes misty...

Anyway, back to those [Mad] cannibals, or was it [Mad] missionaries? No it was [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] Methodists, I remember now.

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
I am the good kind of English teacher.

There's a worse kind?

Quick, get the stakes and garlic! Or was it rosemary? Or rice?

No. It is: Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:

We've got another one with a pony-tail, folks.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
There's an American rugby team?

Since playing rugby typically requires ingesting large quantities of alcohol, you could probably scare up a scrum at almost any US university campus. (Evangel College in Springfield, MO, possibly being an exception.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Oh. You've seen a picture of me on my web site. (Hey, the original poem used by S&G is in my Norton's Anthology. They must have used the same book in college.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Well, some of my good friends are Fijians (though not cannibals) and I'm not offended, and I doubt they would be either. Today they're all too pleased at having beaten the Americans in the Rugby World Cup to bother, anyway.

There's a Rugby World Cup? And an American national team? Who'd a-thunk?! [Big Grin]

I wonder if there are actual Americans on the team. I've never known a single rugby player in my entire life.

You've lead a sheltered life. Be thankful. Where I went to college the rugby team wore buttons that said,
quote:
It takes leather balls to play rugby.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Oh. You've seen a picture of me on my web site.

Actually I haven't.

But at the very least a metaphorical pony-tail was evident.

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And just what is wrong with a pony-tail?

Admittedly it is no longer an option for this somewhat-thin-on-top Gremlin, but you may consider me a virtual pony-tail wearer! [Devil]

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Everyone has said I look years younger since I cut mine off.
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's one of the reasons I don't shave! As it is, I look somewhat older than bb... despite the truth. [Smile]

Gremlin

p.s. this is a *truly* derailed thread! (edit)

[ 16. October 2003, 23:07: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
this is a *truly* derailed thread!

Most threads I start end up that way. Do you think it indicates an incurable frivolity of thought?
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most threads you post on get derailed. I wonder if there's a connection? [Biased]
Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I'm thinking there must be.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

One could say that Sine thinks "outside the rails".
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There certainly is an American Rugby team. Here are the details of their match against Fiji, together with a gallery of well-fed men wrestling over a leather ball.

Finally here are some Fijian Rugby fans, making the traditional "loser gets eaten" sign.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Finally here are some Fijian Rugby fans, making the traditional "loser gets eaten" sign.

Oh please let me lose!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Everyone has said I look years younger since I cut mine off.

For a moment I was afraid I was back on the Circumcision thread. [Eek!]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

The pony tail, Alex.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

oh you gays and your euphemisms.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016