homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: MasterTroll Theater (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: MasterTroll Theater
biscuit
Shipmate
# 3550

- Posted      Profile for biscuit   Email biscuit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly; there assuredly was/is but not having been a teenage girl I would not claim to know them accurately - but names like "Jackie" and "Just 13" (or something like that) would seem to be likely. To the best of my knowledge, there is no UK version of Tigerbeat.

Now, where was that troll again?

CI//waiting to be proved wrong, again.

--------------------
"The strength of the fish is in the water" (proverb)
Current flavour: Chocolate hobnob

Posts: 455 | From: South Hobbiton | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Thanks, Scot. I was groping for the right words to characterize his post. For incomprehensibility, I give it an 8.5. For pretentiousness a 10.

What do you expect; he's a chemist.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Considering that Foucault himself usually rates only an 8.0 and a 9.5 ... I think the student has finally outclassed the master.
[Not worthy!]

[Big Grin]

Presley:

I was once up all night writing a paper, an extended exegesis on Foucault's Archaeology of Knowledge, which I found nearly impossible to understand. Then I had this brief enlightenment when I thought I'd "got it". Words flowed like wine. The finished paper (six hours and and a pack of cigarettes later) was splendidly opaque. I got an A+, and raves from the professor. The moment passed, though, and I'm back to finding Foucault pretentious and incomprehensible. Every time I read that paper I wrote, in awe and wonder, I understand it less. I'm not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. The professor still thinks I'm one of his best students.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 5 minutes ago, in Purgatory, the entity that shapes the bits by the name of "Gunner" posted this:

quote:

I have heard that Catholics consider that they are NOT a denomination like all other churches - rather they are the church.

How do catholics aregue this point out? And if it is the case do they consider that other Christian bodies are there for the conversion?

Just sit back & admire the Troll!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
About 5 minutes ago, in Purgatory, the entity that shapes the bits by the name of "Gunner" posted this:

quote:

I have heard that Catholics consider that they are NOT a denomination like all other churches - rather they are the church.

How do catholics aregue this point out? And if it is the case do they consider that other Christian bodies are there for the conversion?

Just sit back & admire the Troll!
Yes, as trolls go, Gunner isn't bad is he?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gunner is obvious. He never replies. And, he whines when called on it.

Who needs an atomic clock: just count on Gunner for a troll thread once every 10 days. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laura ; Foucault is meant to be incomprehensible. That's the idea. I teach Foucault and I still think its difficult.

As for Gunner [Projectile] - what is so abhorrent is that this man is bloody ordained. It is almost enough, alone, to demolish belief in apostolic succession and vocation.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OgtheDim:

Who needs an atomic clock: just count on Gunner for a troll thread once every 10 days.

Or is it always on Tuesdays?

Many vicars, like many publicans, have their day off on Tuesday. Maybe the posts come after a relaxing long lunch in the public houses of rural Gunnershire.

--------------------
Ken

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we can reliably say that Gunner is not ordained to anything other than monotony. Go Alan!

quote:
Surely this was done on the denominations thread that you started and have yet to respond to any comments on.

Thread closed.

So, are we predicting that next Tuesday, we will get a thread called "Christian Unity" that will say "As long as Orthodox, Catholic and Anglican folk persist in they're division, how ever will unitey be regained? I fear that we are pushing away the folk who need us most. And may I say with others here that I too dearely miss Fr. Gregory who used to take this stupid shit from me seriously."
Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(more giggling)

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Ben26:

quote:
Yes, as trolls go, Gunner isn't bad is he?
Strictly a spent force, I'd have thought.

The essence of a great troll is that he or she argues for a position, in a provocative and offensive manner but in such a way that they provoke their interlocutor into moving from a position of studied rationality to screaming abuse at them. You start off by saying things like: "Whilst certain superficial critics may say that Aquinas' Summa Contra Gentiles shows an undue dependence on Aristotelianism" (well I do, but then I'm nearly as pretentious as Ley Druid) and end up by saying things like "Originally posted by lying Nazi fuckwit scumbag".

Despite the fact that it was possible to hear Alan telepathing "tosser" down the phone wires when he closed down Fr. Gunner's latest thread, I imagine that fewer and fewer people will bother to respond to Gunner's posts as they are patently bogus.

I think that a great troll does it unconciously. As Black Dog has outed himself already on this thread, I point to his performance on the BNP thread as a demonstration of his expertise. [Help]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get my head around Gunner [Confused]

My favourite was still m_t tomb [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Yaffle:
You start off by saying things like: "Whilst certain superficial critics may say that Aquinas' Summa Contra Gentiles shows an undue dependence on Aristotelianism" and end up by saying things like "Originally posted by lying Nazi fuckwit scumbag".

[Not worthy!]

Thanks for the laugh!

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yaffle, thank you a million times for the BNP thread. That was Hi-fucking-larious. Start to finish. I loved "Now before anybody starts calling me a troll..." I loved, "I've had asylum seekers come to my door looking for food, not that I mind, but isn't the government supposed to be keeping these people off my doorstep?" I also loved the very consistent misspelling of waht, especially when a point of extreme idiocy was being made.

See, I don't read many "British-oriented" threads. But that one was the political equivilent of the Chick tract ones. In fact, I think Black Dog is EL18. He has the same theme: I'm not a Nazi or anything; I'm an extreme conservative with a social conscience (ha ha said he!) and while I don't agree with Chick or the BNP I perfectly understand where they are coming from intellectually. Can't we rationally discuss their points of real concern? If they didn't have at least some kind of validity they wouldn't be so popular. How do you explain their popularity?

But Wood is right: that Pestilent guy was way better. Not because he was any less obvious but because he was really funny and a decent writer for a troll. He brought out the best in Wood, too. That thread is a classic.

Black Dog, from the looks of the BNP thread you are a garden variety troll. But I will say that I laughed my ass off when someone said, "No one is trying to call you stupid..." They of course were and you of course...

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black Dog
Sooty Puss

We seem to have a theme going. My money's on the next one calling themselves something like "Dark Horse".

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
Shipmate
# 2344

- Posted      Profile for Black Dog   Email Black Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always one step ahead lads and ladettes, always one step ahead.

--------------------
The difference between love and comfort is that comfort is more reliable and true. Brutal and mocking but always there it is a crutch for enmity's saddest glare.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
was Sooty Puss a troll then? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally babbled by le Chien Noir:

This, fellow Denizens, is the mark of a truly tortured soul. Not only is this morally inept fucklick habitually seeking attention even though all he can manage to attract is ire, he has somehow managed to convince himself that by virtue of being an annoying child that he has actually accomplished something. I suspect that his life has been a disappointing downward slide since his pinnacle achievement: potty training. I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

At least his trollness has some amusement value here in Hell, even though he's not a particularly talented one.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus Coot:
Actually, I think duchess' sig is one of the best innocent pieces of trollery around at the moment:
quote:
"Faith and religion are two different animals, but there are sincere people of faith involved in religion, just as there are insincere religious people who claim faith, but Christ dosent have space for a doctrine of hate. " - Priest SoF May 9, 2003
(You are my fave Calvinist babe, duchess honest, I just think you have bad taste in sigs)

I dunno the context, but when I read that, I read: "What I ('Priest') do is Faith, what you do is Religion. I will concede that even in the Anti-Christ's maze of Religion (which is anything that isn't My kind of religion in case you're wondering) there are some (misguided) people of Faith. Just as there are some insincere religious people who claim faith. Notice I've been hazy about the proportionate distribution? That's 'cos anyone in Your Religion without My kind of Faith is one of the insincere religious people who 'claim' faith. But I'm not actually going to come out and say that. Oh and. Christ doesn't have space for a doctrine of hate. Which doesn't diminish the fact that you are still wrong by the way."

Thankyou.
[Roll Eyes]

Argh! Ship's Gentleman, You KNOW I didn't mean it THAT WAY! I thought to myself he meant to say that one can love God and not have religion...that hate was not a Christian virtue. I sadly did not read in detail...I am so now changing my sig line.

[brick wall]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone would like to see a sample of Jim Powell's output, here is a thread in Limbo.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(pinning RooK's centerfold to wall)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Moo, Jim seems like a bit of a minimalist. My favorite there was the use of an obvious sock puppet, chaplaineric, to get the conversation going. What tickled me is the Oklahoma connection and chaplaineric's description of his interests: Liturgy, baseball, and pro wrestling.

[Killing me]

Funny thing is, my father always loved pro wrestling and introduced me to it with "Georgeous George" in the 50's. I remember asking my father time and time again as a 5 year old exactly why he found fake fighting and mouthing off so funny. He could never stop laughing long enough to give a coherent explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

Too, too good my friend. I had been thinking myself about Ley Druid's over self-estimation of our community aversion to his ilk as watching out for "the plague." [Roll Eyes] Oooo the danger. What it's more like is watching for the odd plastic turd that some product of defective parenting has placed in the offering plate.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that our community aversion to trolling is a sensible reaction to something unpleasant. Not dangerous so much as just disgusting.

Trolling is essentially conversation-rape. The victims are unwittingly goaded into an argument that they did not want, and they are humiliated for the satisfaction of someone else. Indeed, I suspect that the primary motivation for trolling is not the actual engagement, but rather the perception of power that could be derived from it.

I suppose that the kind thing to do would be to help them overcome the social/psychological limitation that prevents them from having consensual conversations... But I can't be bothered. They're too much fun to kick around. Their own foolish self-importance makes them ideal targets for practicing on.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the insightful comments.
Some of you seem to be having some fun.
Why? I really think it would be neat to ask why?
quote:
Ask yourself whether you are happy
and you cease to be so -- John Stuart Mill

Happy Troll bashing to all.
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'S one a.m. Wednesday for me, an' I may be hallucinating or something...

But I remember from my time new here the Brojees thing.

It was something about the Ship that mixed with his chemistry and brought out the weirdness. He functions beautifully elsewhere. I mean, I don't recall a single pacifist poem from knowing him off-Ship.

He and I moderate on another board, occasionally butting heads but usually we're fine. I'm rather hawky to his dove I guess.

G'night, all you in-crowd.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
Why ask why? --Budweiser
As Budweiser so aptly says, it is even more interesting why someone would ask someone else why? Why do you ask why, LD? What jollies do you get from that?
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
quote:
Why ask why? --Budweiser

It's more a case of "when" round here. As my dear drunkmother used to say:- "Idiots do happen".

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If anyone would like to see a sample of Jim Powell's output, here is a thread in Limbo.

Moo

Wow, it all comes flooding back!

And also Shaun and Pasco thrown in for good measure! [Eek!]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, Jim Powell and his buddy Max Chapman (two fellows so close it's difficult to tell them apart [Wink] ). The memories of my first few days hosting, a baptism of fire as it were.

All those "I know I'm leaving, but..."'s on (for example) page 3 of this thread. And the classics!
quote:
Originally posted by Max Chapman on p4 of the same thread:
Hey all you hosts....I believe that commandment #5 should be upheld. These passages have proven many of you wrong, now it's time to own up to it......On 2nd thought, forget it. I don't need any accolades from a bunch of idiotic, arrogant, self-righteous losers such as yall.

That's right. You can't be a Christian & doubt the validity of the Bible.

Repent or keep a lot of ice handy. From what I understand, Hell is quite warm

<snip>

PS: Erin, you dissapoint me. I thought a down to Earth southerner such as yourself would be more grounded in Faith. You act just like the self-righteous Brits...what a shame [Confused]

It was so nice to see him in the Cafe a few month ago [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
Shipmate
# 2344

- Posted      Profile for Black Dog   Email Black Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally babbled by le Chien Noir:

This, fellow Denizens, is the mark of a truly tortured soul. Not only is this morally inept fucklick habitually seeking attention even though all he can manage to attract is ire, he has somehow managed to convince himself that by virtue of being an annoying child that he has actually accomplished something. I suspect that his life has been a disappointing downward slide since his pinnacle achievement: potty training. I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

At least his trollness has some amusement value here in Hell, even though he's not a particularly talented one.

Well... Strictly speaking I would argue that I'm not a troll, not one at all really. In fact I'm stunned at the sugestion. It was all you lot who have jumped to that conclusion.

--------------------
The difference between love and comfort is that comfort is more reliable and true. Brutal and mocking but always there it is a crutch for enmity's saddest glare.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's quite confusing looking back with all those trolls with the same avatars.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Jumped to' 'that conclusion'...? [Roll Eyes]

By a man's works shall ye know him.

In other words: if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck.

How is your bridge these days?

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, ThinkyBlackDogEblis, calling you a troll is in a strange way giving you the benefit of the doubt.

The alternative is just too horrible to contemplate...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
Shipmate
# 2344

The alternative is that I'm Graham norton in disguise.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the Milkman said, too horrible to contemplate

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Ah yes, Jim Powell and his buddy Max Chapman (two fellows so close it's difficult to tell them apart [Wink]

I have trouble telling Ley Druid and Jesuitical Lad apart. I'm suspect they must be aspects of the same being. They use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
And I've only ever heard one message from either of them.

--------------------
Ken

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Uhhh... magazine aimed at teenage girls which features hunky teen idol pics and information? Popular in the late '70's/ early '80's? Is there a UK equivalent?

Tiger Beat

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
Thanks for the insightful comments.
Some of you seem to be having some fun.
Why? I really think it would be neat to ask why?

At first I thought this was a haiku.

Then I realised it was not.

Then I decided to make it into one:

Insightful words: Thanks!
Fun is had by some of you.
"Why?" I ask -- so neat!

David
actually doesn't recall much about Ley Druid's posts, though he has a cool name

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sleeper
Shipmate
# 2103

- Posted      Profile for Sleeper   Email Sleeper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are all Op's trolling to a certain extent, being overly provactive, over stating the case to get a debate going, especailly in hell?
Posts: 68 | From: The dark recesses of my mind | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Tiger Beat

David, why does it come as no surprise that you are the one to post the link to this site?

quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper:
Are all Op's trolling to a certain extent, being overly provactive, over stating the case to get a debate going, especailly in hell?

No.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
both are aggravating and difficult to understand.

[Tear]
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have trouble telling Ley Druid and Jesuitical Lad apart. I'm suspect they must be aspects of the same being. They use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
And I've only ever heard one message from either of them.

I object. JL is nothing like Ley Druid, and nothing like a troll. I've never had a moment's trouble understanding a JL post. I just don't agree with some of them. There's a big difference.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
provactive
Isn't that a mild euphoric? I think they put me on that for a while, but I can't remember.
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
quote:
both are aggravating and difficult to understand.

Maybe that's the "Jesuitical" part. [Wink]
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Laura. I find JL's writing style nicely concrete and clear, and his posts quite easy to understand, but not so easy to agree with when we're debating RCC doctrine and practice, as he unfortunately remains locked in that Romish iron grip. [Big Grin]

Despite his appalling lack of iconoclasm, I believe he drinks G&Ts, and I like his sense of humor, so he does have at least two saving graces. [Big Grin] [Snigger]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

I'm with Laura and that other ken man,

JL maybe annoyingly firm in his beliefs, and thus is quite easy to bounce around like a nice game of tethercat, but he's no troll.

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
They [JL,LD] use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
Yes, the styles are distinctly different. JL's is the clear style of fervency that tends toward the doctrinaire and lapses into hurt sarcasm under pressing attacks. Apart from heavy sarcasm his use of language is exceptionally clear. LD's is a more menacing style predicated on the assumption that "the other" is as vile, spiteful, and mean-spirited as he is and thus deserving of his taunts. Moreover, he clouds exceptionally poor communication skills with deliberately impenetrable and poorly expressed language in an attempt to feign intelligence that he does not have. In short, he is a mature troll, several quantum leaps beyond Black Dog who seems a nice little brat who is not more than a couple of spankings and a half dozen spelling lessons away from normalcy.

Ken, on the doctrinaire side your puzzlement puzzles me. I remember a doctrinaire socialist doggedly refusing to budge from the position that capitalism is legalized theft. I'm certain you remember the conversation as well. Once the doctrinaire have painted themselves into a tight corner, they find it difficult to emerge.

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Laura said.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooh, look! A new troll! I believe it's known as a "brendo," and can be seen in the Hell thread on Texas Government, among other threads.

"The brendo is known for its poorly-developed survival and social skills, which account for its low numbers, and is also known for its hostility and shrill squawks aimed at the Americanus bird, but scientists have yet to discover any real communication in these noises. Brendos are a favorite staple of Florida alligators."

The guidebook says its native habitat is claimed to be Oz. Hmmmm, that's odd: The only other Ozzie Shipmates I've seen are troll-free, so I wonder if he's not native, perhaps got blown there on a hot wind or something?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

I do recall an Aussie who got booted.

He subsequently rejoined, and is now a long-standing Shipmate and prolific poster.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016