homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Control of racism, how far is too far? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Control of racism, how far is too far?
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
I am genuinely curious as to when free speech does become unacceptable in this context?

Any of these would get out into general public knowledge and would remove any confidence the "black paki bastards" had in the police force. They would not want to report any incidents to the police because they would expect to get dissed or ignored or blamed and arrested.

The police are supposed to help take care of us all. They need to act in a way that we can trust them.

I agree. I was wondering where the line was drawn for people who believe free speech takes precedence over all other freedoms.

Rat

What freedom is at risk when a police officer laughs at a racial joke? As far as I can tell, not a single freedom or right is at risk.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
But be aware that you will never agree, nor even convince those on the other side of the pond of your way of thinking.

I will believe Sarkycow
I will believe Sarkycow
I will believe Sarkycow
I will believe Sarkycow
I will believe Sarkycow

and so on....

FWIW, I don't believe freedom of speech takes precedence over all other freedoms; I hold it on par with many others. Here's an example:

quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Click here for a list of other freedoms I think on par as freedom of speech: Articles 2, 4 - 10, 13 - 15, 19, 24 - 26.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa. Polarize much?
Five pages of rabid oversimplification and overreaction. Bravo.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! Some of us were reasonable and neither polarized, oversimplified nor overreacted.

Typical fuckin' Canuckistani.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting the sense that those who are doing the hardest slamming against freedom of speech are essentially the same ones who were loud and proud with their FCUK t-shirts in my face.

Someone got some 'planing to do, Lucy.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Hey! Some of us were reasonable and neither polarized, oversimplified nor overreacted.

Typical fuckin' Canuckistani.

[Killing me]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Overreaction: Not just for breakfast anymore."

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, for the record, I'll admit that some of you were less polarized and reactionary than your usual screaming-and-yelling rabid selves.

By "some" I mean "Erin", and only because she's such a vindictive bitch that the mere act of not swearing makes her seem light-hearted in comparison.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're on the subject of the Community Editor, let me just drop this in here...

Believe it, Etheredge. I've got Bible verses to prove it.

Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

- Posted      Profile for Nonpropheteer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Brit 1: Hey, you Americans have stupid laws.
American 1: Oh yeah? Well your British laws are dumb.
American 2: Yeah, dumb and immoral.
Brit 2: Well yours are stupid and racist. And you're talking about stuff you don't know about.
American 3:...

And so it continues.

Yes, I know and understand that Americans don't think free speech should ever be restricted. Yes, I know and understand that their policemen are only considered on duty when they are actually being paid. (To pick two examples.)

Sarkycow

Actually, Sarky - I think we are building a better understanding of the differences between Brit and American views, barring a bit of smoke from hurt feelings and such. As I mentioned before, we do have some common sense restrictions to free speech which are legally actionable - such as making or encouraging violent action. We also think that police officers should be held to a higher standard in the performance of their duties. Our society is starting to adopt a more British outlook as to their thoughts, much to my chagrin.

NP

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
One of the reasons for the attention given to jokes and attitudes is that racism infects society so deeply. It isn’t just a matter of deliberate acts of injustice. Racism is not only likely to be surreptitious, it is often unconscious, and even seems to express itself through systems despite the people involved doing their best to be fair.

Very true. Passive racism is quite difficult to spot.

Racism is also not limited to white v black. It can be any ethnic group against any other ethnic group, including sub-groups. Racism doesn't have to be about colour; just any group that is different. European foreign language students get a rough time in some places simply because they're foreign.

IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally quoted by an ignorant Brit:
"I do not agree with what you say but I will fight for your right to say it"

Both NonPropheteer and Erin pulled me up on this and on further reflection you are quite right. I apologise sincerely to you both.

I don't think I appreciate the differences in our definitions of free speech. What I said wasn't a bare-faced lie, but I see where you are coming from.

I think the BNP (or KKK) should have the right to hold political office. If people want to vote for them the people should be free to vote for them, however disgusting and odious I think they and their voters are.

However, and here is where I think the difference lies, if a BNP member was in the street preaching about the repatriation of anyone who didn't look 'normal' (to quote a KKK member I saw on Ricki Lake), about the horrifying dilution of our British (read "Aryan") society by these bloody immigrants, then I would be the first to punch him in the face.

Is that me suppressing free speech? Probably.

So back to an earlier point:

Is it appropriate for an off-duty policeman to say 'paki bastard'?

No it is not. Off-duty police officers today have to be on-duty police officers tomorrow and if policeman X arrives tomorrow at the scene of a crime where the victim is the 'paki bastard' he humerously victimised the night before there is no possible way he can excercise his duty in a suitable manner.

Is the 'paki bastard' in question likely to respect the police officer?

If that is suppression of freedom of speech I am happy to be suppressed.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What freedom is at risk when a police officer laughs at a racial joke? As far as I can tell, not a single freedom or right is at risk.

The right of ethnic minority members of society to know they are afforded the same standard of policing as everyone else?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
quote:

The right of ethnic minority members of society to know they are afforded the same standard of policing as everyone else?
Exactly.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Is that really a right?

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I agree with the two posts before Erin's, I also think we're less polarised than some suggest.

No-one is saying freedom of speech isn't important. It is absolutely vital. No-one is saying that there aren't some restrictions on it, even in America, land of the free.

We're just arguing about exactly where we'd draw the line, which is bound to vary from time to time and from place to place. I'm not denying that any move away from free speech should be viewed with the utmost suspicion. And if someone tries to stop the BNP meeting or espousing their obnoxious views, I'll be out there defending their rights, despite my contempt for them. But I won't defend the right of a serving police officer to act or speak in public in a racist way. That's where I draw the line at the moment. I'm not saying he can't be a racist. I'm saying he can't be a racist in public and expect to be paid by taxpayers to serve all of them.

And yes, Erin, I do think that's a right.

[edited for cross post]

[ 06. November 2003, 09:31: Message edited by: Moth ]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if I am a member of a minority group I am guaranteed that the policeman answering my call will blindly and automatically issue me the same exact attention everyone else gets, if only please-it-God the man has never sniggered at a stupid ethnic joke?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is that really a right?

Well...yes.

Or what is the point? Of having a police force, of trying to administer a fair judicial system, of trying to build an equable society?

Nobody makes policemen be policemen. They sign up for it, and in the process they take on a certain responsibility for their actions and their appearance. They are representing the system and serving us - all of us. So they give up their right to indulge in certain kinds of public bad behaviour.

And in pragmatic terms, as many people have said, if large sectors of society don't trust or believe in the police, then the system stops working. People don't report crimes, don't give evidence, don't come forward with information.

Rat

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is that really a right?

Hell, yes.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Really. That is interesting -- I've never heard of the right to feel warm and fuzzy about the cops. Round here, we only give a shit that they actually do their job. We don't much care what they think about when they're doing it.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:
The right of ethnic minority members of society to know they are afforded the same standard of policing as everyone else

has nothing to do with feeling warm and fuzzy, it has to do with having a basic confidence in the integrity of the force - with believing they are going to

quote:
actually do their job

Moth is right. Despite the hyperbole on both sides we are not talking about no free speech versus complete free speech. Both societies choose to draw a line somewhere and we are disagreeing about exactly where that line should be.

Rat

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

OK, I have to admit that I am having a hard time getting my mind around this. I have understood that there are significant cultural differences between the UK and the US and that how the UK does things (and likes it!) is radically different from us.

But.

I have never, in my wildest imaginings, ever thought that the British actually believe that they have a right to a particular feeling. NEVER. I knew the cultural gulf was huge, but OHMYFUCKINGGOD [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I am stunned.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's you guys who have the right to pursue feeling warm and fuzzy as an inalienable right. [Razz]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - In Northern Ireland we have a little well known gorup that was formerly called the RUC now NIPS.

As such there is alot of disrespect for the police from certain quarters.

From one side they are seen as being sectarian, bigoted and a respectable/lawful wing of loyalist paramilitaries.

From the other they are seen as denying and enforcing the rights of those people who are seen as supporters of Queen, crown and country and are denying them their civil and religious liberties by a pro-natinalist world.

Now the police force is predominantly Protestant (I hate equating Protestantism with loyalism/unionism - but for some reason it happens) can they serve the Catholic/nationalist community effectively?

What's more by being viewed as institutionally sectarian and then say one or more of those officers within the force proved his sectarian nature whilst off duty by refering to nationalist/republicans/catholics as dirty filthy horrible people who are nothing better than dogs (in a jocular manner of course) that only serves to fuel tensions.

Is it the police that need to reform or is it the people or community that is affected by it?

Just some random thoughts there.....

[ 06. November 2003, 10:02: Message edited by: Robert Miller ]

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
OK, for the record, I'll admit that some of you were less polarized and reactionary than your usual screaming-and-yelling rabid selves.

By "some" I mean "Erin", and only because she's such a vindictive bitch that the mere act of not swearing makes her seem light-hearted in comparison.

This might look like someone sucking up but I am to nice to suggest that.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But.

I have never, in my wildest imaginings, ever thought that the British actually believe that they have a right to a particular feeling. NEVER. I knew the cultural gulf was huge, but OHMYFUCKINGGOD [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I am stunned.

It's not about the right to feel anything. It's about the right to KNOW that one is afforded the same standard of policing, and the right to be afforded that standard.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:

I am stunned.

I am really not getting what you are getting at here. It has nothing to do with a feeling, it has to do with expecting a certain standard of public behaviour from certain people in positions of responsibility.

Many Americans apparently expect their public officials to adhere to standards of behaviour which do not include having sex with interns on their office desk. And that was private behaviour. I am struggling to see how the public behaviour of police officers doesn't fall into a similar category?

Rat

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

The only way you will ever know if a police officer will or will not do their job is in the actual carrying out of it. Despite the protests to the contrary, you can NEVER know ahead of time. You can't. If you firmly believe that you can, I want to know what this week's Lotto numbers are, because you clearly have some way of divining the future.

So what we've been talking about this whole thread -- and pardon my denseness for it not dawning on me until just now -- is that you believe that you have a right to "feel" like they will behave in a certain way.

Again: [Eek!] The cultural divide is unbelievable.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:
The only way you will ever know if a police officer will or will not do their job is in the actual carrying out of it. Despite the protests to the contrary, you can NEVER know ahead of time. You can't. If you firmly believe that you can, I want to know what this week's Lotto numbers are, because you clearly have some way of divining the future.

So what we've been talking about this whole thread -- and pardon my denseness for it not dawning on me until just now -- is that you believe that you have a right to "feel" like they will behave in a certain way.

Again: [Eek!] The cultural divide is unbelievable.

No. We have a right to EXPECT them to believe in a certain way.

Wrds are deeds. The act of saying is an action.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am stunned.

It is the guidlines issued to many public bodies after the Macpherson inquiry that has led to this state of affairs (see here) .
For instance in a School if something happens and if anyone 'feels' it is racist it is.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
So if I am a member of a minority group I am guaranteed that the policeman answering my call will blindly and automatically issue me the same exact attention everyone else gets, if only please-it-God the man has never sniggered at a stupid ethnic joke?

Yes. Why do you find this both funny and unbelievable?

Well, actually, I may have once sniggered at a stupid ethnic joke, I honestly don't know. What is on trial here, so to speak, is not the act of sniggering at a stupid ethnic joke, but the underlying racism this may reveal.

may reveal.

That's what the investigation is going (I presume) to find out. These guys may well not be racists, in which case Huzzah! But then they may be, in which case they have no business serving a community in which people they hate may call upon their assistance.

It is the inalienable right of all citizens to gain protection from a police force which does not treat a member of that society with contempt simply because their skin is a different shade.

If a racist police office did his job with absolute probity and served black members of the community with equal care then I doubt I would have much of a problem with him. I do not believe, however, that racial resentment can be hidden all that well.

In the BBC documentary to which reference has been made police officers talked about the Black Added Tax - i.e. levying larger punishments for black men's motoring offences than for a white woman's. That is a symptom of their racism and is utterly unnaceptable.

--------------------

Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing though I don't know if it happens in UK or not - but who would I prefer policing my community.

Guys in balaclavas with guns and baseball bats dishing out summary justice or a fair imparitial police force. Hmmmm...... I wonder.

However when people's respect and trust for the police declines, people will take to policing communities in ways that they see fit. Now if that is generated by perceived racism or sectarianism then maybe that is the fault of the community, but the police force does have to question why it is being perceived like that.

Telling racist and sectarian jokes doesn't help a situation in any way

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Miller:
Another thing though I don't know if it happens in UK or not - but who would I prefer policing my community.

Guys in balaclavas with guns and baseball bats dishing out summary justice or a fair imparitial police force. Hmmmm...... I wonder.

However when people's respect and trust for the police declines, people will take to policing communities in ways that they see fit. Now if that is generated by perceived racism or sectarianism then maybe that is the fault of the community, but the police force does have to question why it is being perceived like that.

Telling racist and sectarian jokes doesn't help a situation in any way

I don't think this happens in the UK outside certain areas of Northern Ireland (or at least not in exactly the same way - there have been reputed 'no-go' areas). But yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I meant when I said that, without a basic level of confidence in the police, the system breaks down.

Rat

--------------------

Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

Yes. Why do you find this both funny and unbelievable?

Well, actually, I may have once sniggered at a stupid ethnic joke, I honestly don't know. What is on trial here, so to speak, is not the act of sniggering at a stupid ethnic joke, but the underlying racism this may reveal.

may reveal.

That's what the investigation is going (I presume) to find out. These guys may well not be racists, in which case Huzzah! But then they may be, in which case they have no business serving a community in which people they hate may call upon their assistance.

It is the inalienable right of all citizens to gain protection from a police force which does not treat a member of that society with contempt simply because their skin is a different shade.

If a racist police office did his job with absolute probity and served black members of the community with equal care then I doubt I would have much of a problem with him. I do not believe, however, that racial resentment can be hidden all that well.

In the BBC documentary to which reference has been made police officers talked about the Black Added Tax - i.e. levying larger punishments for black men's motoring offences than for a white woman's. That is a symptom of their racism and is utterly unnaceptable.

Hear Hear.

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
We have a right to EXPECT them to believe in a certain way.

And the cultural divide widens with every post and here is where I start posting absolutes. You don't have a right to expect me or anyone else to believe in any particular way -- I can believe whatthefuckever I want to believe and you have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to expect me to believe any differently.

[ 06. November 2003, 11:39: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When police officers are commissioned they take an oath to uphold the law "without fear or favour".

The subjects of HM the Queen, whose servants the police are, have a right to know that the police intend to uphold that oath. Membership of a political organisation whose aims are directly contrary to that oath or opinions that the oath is only applicable to certain sectors of the population are, therefore, highly problematic.

Feeling warm and fuzzy about the whole thing is neither hither nor thither.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
We have a right to EXPECT them to believe in a certain way.

And the cultural divide widens with every post and here is where I start posting absolutes. You don't have a right to expect me or anyone else to believe in any particular way -- I can believe whatthefuckever I want to believe and you have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to expect me to believe any differently.
Shit. Freudian slip. Not "believe". I meant "behave".

How big do I feel? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Erin:
quote:

Be assured, Erin, that although this post was triggered by Wood using the wrong word [Smile] , the 'cultural divide' you refer to isn't as much a reality as you thought: I as a lifelong 'Brit' have much more agreement as to the importance of maintaining freedom of speech (and thought) with yourself, Kenwritez and othe US shipmates than with what has come across as the 'UK' position.

I fear that we in the UK and probably Europe as well are heading for totalitarianism if we keep on down this road of saying 'You can't say this' or 'You can't belong to this organisation'. The Blair Government is fond of over-legislating, and of holding an inquiry about EVERYTHING. It does not reassure me about the future of freedom.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

Alaric,
I agree with what you say but there are circumstances...

I enjoy wearing jeans and T-Shirts.

Occasionally I wear flourescent studs in my tongue piercing.

Sometimes I die my hair.

My employer has a dress code. They require me to wear a suit, to have no visible piercings and to have hair colour which more or less approximates a natural colour.

Is my employer suppressing my freedom of speech by requiring these of me?

Or are they simply setting standards to which I must conform if I require a job?

Now clearly my employer doesn't care what I do outside of work, but since my job is designing equipment for the oil industry I am hardly likely to adversely affect the image of my industry when casually dressed on a night out. If I were in an industry where my image when out of my work time was important, then my employer would have a right to require certain standards of me outside of work.

The police require certain standards; one of these standards is a lack of racist behaviour. If an officer cannot meet this standard then they are in the wrong job.

--------------------

Liam
Shipmate
# 4961

- Posted      Profile for Liam   Author's homepage   Email Liam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about this:

Freedom of speech is just one of a number of basic human rights, as enshrined in international law and by the UN. (I hope the US posters here don't share their government's attitude to international law on these matters.)

I would support the right of an individual or organisation to say whatever it pleases, UNTIL they start calling for any group or individual to be denied any of these basic rights. Those rights are absolutes and non-negotiable - they're not a matter of opinion or political persuasion. We can't allow them to be diminished in any way for anyone.

This means that I don't believe the BNP should be a legal political party, and public servants shouldn't belong to it. And I also think the absolutist freedom of speech argument is hopelessly idealistic, because it assumes that all opinions and individuals have an equal ability to make themselves heard. They simply don't - the media in the UK and the US are dominated by particular - often racist - viewpoints, while minority voices are ignored. Until you address that issue, insisting on absolute freedom for wankers to express offensive opinions in public is doing more harm than good.

Posts: 138 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atmospheric Skull

Antlered Bone-Visage
# 4513

- Posted      Profile for Atmospheric Skull   Email Atmospheric Skull   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we're getting bogged down here in all this talk about rights. Rights are a nebulous concept, and can mean anything from an entitlement enshrined in law to something someone vaguely feels they ought to deserve, with a variety of more rigorous ethical definitions in between.

I see the issue more in terms of duties: police officers (each of whom chose to become a police officer) have a duty to uphold the law in the country, and that isn't served by the (currently very widespread) public perception that they're a bunch of racist, arrogant shits. While that perception persists, members of ethnic minorities will refuse to call the police when they are needed because they fear getting into trouble themselves; they will not trust the police to heed their concerns; and when they are (as clearly they sometimes are) legitimately arrested, there will always be room for unhelpful additional doubt in the matter.

Thus it is incumbent on police officers to do their best to combat this perception. That's part of their job, and if they didn't want to do it they didn't have to take the job -- it's like an abbatoir worker complaining that her vegetarian principles prohibit her from slaughtering animals.

Aiding the BNP by allowing them to claim that their members include police officers is incompatible with that job. Telling, or even appreciating, racist jokes in a situation where they might -- now or later -- be identified as police officers (which is pretty much any situation, to be honest) is incompatible with that job. Dressing up in a Ku Klux Klan outfit and boasting about imposing more serious punishments on black men... well, that doesn't help either.

Maintain that these pressing practical considerations, constrained on men and women who entered a profession with their eyes wide open, must take second place to some perceived "right" which holds under all circumstances and in all places, is what smacks of absolutism to me.

(Has there been a thread on Freedom of Speech in Purgatory, incidentally? There doesn't appear to be a Dead Horse, and while these recent Hell discussions have been very interesting, they keep being derailed by people taking the piss instead of arguing. Which is of course what Hell is for, but can get somewhat frustrating...)

--------------------
Surrealistic Mystic.

Posts: 371 | From: Bristol, UK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
Alaric,
I agree with what you say but there are circumstances...

I enjoy wearing jeans and T-Shirts.

Occasionally I wear flourescent studs in my tongue piercing.

Sometimes I die my hair.

My employer has a dress code. They require me to wear a suit, to have no visible piercings and to have hair colour which more or less approximates a natural colour.

Is my employer suppressing my freedom of speech by requiring these of me?

Or are they simply setting standards to which I must conform if I require a job?

Now clearly my employer doesn't care what I do outside of work, but since my job is designing equipment for the oil industry I am hardly likely to adversely affect the image of my industry when casually dressed on a night out. If I were in an industry where my image when out of my work time was important, then my employer would have a right to require certain standards of me outside of work.

The police require certain standards; one of these standards is a lack of racist behaviour. If an officer cannot meet this standard then they are in the wrong job.

Well, without wishing to create a tangent, I think that employers' dress codes are going to be increasingly challenged, and rightly so, IMHO. I have a tight collar-and-tie to wear each day: the women don't. I have slightly longer hair than usual (for a man), but I don't think I'd be allowed hair the length of some of the women, or, for that matter, of the Sikh bloke (unless I became a Sikh!).

If your last sentence had read 'meet this standard while at work, or in a capacity where their status as a police employee was obvious then I could agree with it. When not at work (and I don't accept that they're 'always at work'), so long as they do not break the law, or turn a 'blind eye' to criminality, then they should be no more expected to be 'perfect' in what they say as any other employee, public or otherwise.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sarkycow:
Oh look, another thread which basically splits down UK/USA lines. Do the Australians not give a damn about these kind of issues? Or are they just too quiet to be heard?

Well, we do. Our laws regarding racism, racial villification (what is excused in the US as 'freedom of speech'), are at least as strong as the UK (we have them for villification, harassment, or discrimination based on sex, disability, sexual preference (possibly not all states as far as villification goes), political or religious affiliation. And we like it like that.

quote:
Scot:
The idea that someone should be banned from public office on the sole basis of their membership in a legal organization is anathema to a free society. Some of you should be ashamed.

Actually, even given protection from discrimination, when I did casual work for the State and Commonwealth Electoral Commission here; vote counters were not allowed to be members of a political party. (Some occupations also have restrictions based on criminal record).

There is a racist organisation here called the Australian Nationalists Movement, they are quiet and have their nasty little meetings but you can be sure the moment they make any public statement inciting racial hate or posting racist literature they will be charged. KKK type public hate rallies wouldn't stand a chance. In the past we have been very firm with not allowing entry into the country of people who incite racial hatred like the guy who writes the Holocaust as myth publications.

I know someone mentioned that the allegations regarding the police were false; but if they happened here, I'd expect the police to be stood down while the complaint was investigated and disciplined if it were proven; maybe even moved to different duties.

Considering the hypothetical situation of police telling a racial joke in their spare time at a pub: Anyone can make a complaint about anyone who makes a public racial joke or behaves in a discrimatory or villifying way or causes harassment. ie. those police would have had to answer for their conduct as members of the public, and then their employer would be investigating their fitness to be in the job.

It's about being a fit and proper person to do the job. Public servants, teachers (and members of the armed forces I believe) also are held to this standard. Basically if you commit actions that are going to bring the Public Service (for example) into disrepute your employment can be terminated.

Of course it doesn't mean that these things don't happen here - they did and do (and there is quite a bit of racism - usually against whatever immigrant group is fashionable), that's why we have laws to protect people against them. They're not perfect, don't always work, but I'd rather have them than not. The laws act to deter people, protect us from the ones that break them, and demonstrate the standard of behaviour that is acceptable in society. They are part of the reason I think I live (and I think the other aussies on board prolly think the same) in a place where everyone has 'a fair go'. That's a very important part of Australian culture (well it used to be [Tear] ).

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I should've added 'age' to that list)
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

Posted by Space Monkey:
quote:
This means that I don't believe the BNP should be a legal political party, and public servants shouldn't belong to it. And I also think the absolutist freedom of speech argument is hopelessly idealistic, because it assumes that all opinions and individuals have an equal ability to make themselves heard. They simply don't - the media in the UK and the US are dominated by particular - often racist - viewpoints, while minority voices are ignored. Until you address that issue, insisting on absolute freedom for wankers to express offensive opinions in public is doing more harm than good.
Oh come on, (large parts of) the 'media' in the UK at least are obsessed with allowing 'minority voices' to be heard. Television, in particular the BBC, is full of programming aimed at giving minorities the chance to air thier grievances, or just be entertained. Was the BBC inquiry into racism amongst police recruits not a good example? You may consider the results this got to be ample justification for planting the BBC|'mole' amongst the trainees: now the Government is considering having planted 'informers' as a regular part of the training of police officers. I find this frightening and wonder where it will all end.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
Oh come on, (large parts of) the 'media' in the UK at least are obsessed with allowing 'minority voices' to be heard. Television, in particular the BBC, is full of programming aimed at giving minorities the chance to air thier grievances, or just be entertained. Was the BBC inquiry into racism amongst police recruits not a good example? You may consider the results this got to be ample justification for planting the BBC|'mole' amongst the trainees: now the Government is considering having planted 'informers' as a regular part of the training of police officers. I find this frightening and wonder where it will all end.

With a police force that's free of racism?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think it is a pretty good thing that one can be arrested (in the U.K) for incitement to racial hatred and/or violence.

I suspect most Brits agree with me.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that many of you would be horrified if you learned what members of many high-intensity professions think of the general public. I mean police, firefighters, emergency room personnel, military, and so on.

In my experience members of these groups often form strong us-and-them mentalities because of the nature of their jobs. Attitudes toward the public often range from paternalism to simple toleration to outright disdain. Nonetheless, the vast majority of emergency responders, etc. perform their duties with a high degree of professionalism regardless of who they are serving or what they might think of the person.

If society tried to judge emergency personnel on what they think instead of what they do, we would have to get rid of most of them.

But maybe I'm being oppressed and didn't know it. Maybe I have a right to know that the emergency room doctor really, truly thinks I'm a swell guy.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Oh for the love of -

It's not about that, Scot. I don't care whether the police actually like anyone.

They can think we're all assholes for all I care - but we have a right to expect the Police to think we're all assholes because we are in fact assholes and not for any other reason, and for the police to be even-handed and equal-opportunities with their opinion, rather than to be biased against any one group.

I fail to see why this is so difficult to grasp.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point, Wood, is that they generally do treat us all the same regardless of their personal opinions. They do it every day.

When I suggested that police be judged on their actions, as opposed to their thoughts, there was a whole chorus of people claiming that it was impossible for them to seperate the two.

Like you, I'm not sure why it is so hard to understand.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016