homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Control of racism, how far is too far? (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Control of racism, how far is too far?
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
RooK, you old sweet talker, you. But you and Sarky can breathe a sigh of relief that we managed to scare everyone away from the thread and it can die now. And we won't even charge you for it.

And here was me waiting for tomb to post, as this thread appears to be the current Hellhost party thread [Biased]

So, to sum up:
Americans (and Alaric) believe one thing.
Brits and Aussies believe something else.
Sharkshooter has made two idiotic posts in Hell today.
Everyone* is bored of going round in circles.

Does anyone have anything new and on topic to contribute before a hellhost kills this sorry excuse for a thread?

Sarkycow, hellhost

*For the purpose of this summary, I'm going to tell you all what to believe: You're all bored of going round in circles.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Canadians were unable to get involved in this discussion because they're apparently all stoned.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, some were stoned. The rest were just stuck in American rush hour traffic. They just popped down to say hello, you see. Nothing pressing. Neighborly.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

- Posted      Profile for Nonpropheteer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Callan:
This is a somewhat less than compelling analogy. Unless you think that Nazis are really loveable, madcap curmudgeons who, given half a chance, will ply black people with apple juice and play cards with them. In which case it's no wonder you people were two years late for the Second World War.

The majority of German citizens were at one time members of the Nazi party. Yet some card carrying members of the Nazi party actually helped jews and others escape capture. Likewise there are many different people that belong to many different groups for many different reasons.
I find it interesting that the only hate groups mentioned here and railed against are those that "white" people would belong to. Out of curiosity, should we probe as deeply into minority groups and individuals?

NP

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Non-propheteer:

quote:
The majority of German citizens were at one time members of the Nazi party. Yet some card carrying members of the Nazi party actually helped jews and others escape capture. Likewise there are many different people that belong to many different groups for many different reasons.
I find it interesting that the only hate groups mentioned here and railed against are those that "white" people would belong to. Out of curiosity, should we probe as deeply into minority groups and individuals?

NP - my own view is that it is not possible for a member of Her Majesty's Constabulary to do his or her job properly if he or she is a member of a far right organisation. Broadly speaking British shipmates are prepared to work on this assumption, US shipmates (and Alaric) argue that it is unjust to make such an assumption unless we have got hard evidence from the persons behaviour. We say the act of joining the BNP is such an action. You beg to differ. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice. I don't think that either of us are going to find irrefutable knock down arguments that demonstrate conclusively that the other is wrong.

Black racism isn't, at present, a live issue. But I would object equally strongly to commissioning as a police officer a man or woman who held similar views about white people as the BNP do about blacks.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
It is wrong to discipline employees on the sole basis of their beliefs, associations, or the actions of their peers. People should be judged on their actions, not what we think their future actions might be.

That's all.

This is what I believe also. I happen to belive that saying "I hate Pakis" is an action upon which someone can be judged.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Atmospheric Skull

Antlered Bone-Visage
# 4513

- Posted      Profile for Atmospheric Skull   Email Atmospheric Skull   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
There would seem to be room to start a thread on this subject in purgatory.

If this is in response to my earlier question, then thank you. It would be interesting to get some Purgatorial perspectives on all this.

Given how fed up everyone seems to be with this thread, though, I might wait a few days before starting such a thread myself. If someone else wants to in the meantime, then fair enough.

--------------------
Surrealistic Mystic.

Posts: 371 | From: Bristol, UK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you need further help with your English you just let me know.

Red.rag.bull.can.open.worms.everywhere.

I think this thread has pretty much proven that Americans and Brits* (apart from Alaric, the ratbastard traitor) are very different.

In the red corner we have absolute freedom of speech, no holds barred kick-em-in-the-bollocks freestyle brawling, and in the blue corner we have freedom of speech as long as it doesn't offend me or talk too loudly in libraries, Marquis of Queensbury rules fisticuffs.

So while you guys might win the fight, you play dirty and we'd rather have cleanly restricted fighting, and lose, than hell-for-leather brawling and win.

It has been most enjoyable, thankyou.

[ * and Eire. Edited because I forgot that there were some Southern Irish people here too, sorry]

[ 07. November 2003, 09:22: Message edited by: IntellectByProxy ]

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh! [Eek!] Never been called a 'ratbastard traitor before. And the strange thing is, I'm not offended! (on the assumption that it was said tongue-in-cheek! [Razz] )

Very ironic to call me that, given the 'dodgy nationalist' tag that ken once used of me. (Where has said ken been on this thread, btw? I would expect to see him here given what he has posted elsewhere. Has he not posted because it would be liable to cause him to explode? [Snigger] )

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did IBP just call me a red?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:

[ * and Eire. Edited because I forgot that there were some Southern Irish people here too, sorry]

You've just been oppressing us for so long that we have had to learn to fight by your rules [Razz]

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did IBP just call me a red?

No, I said you were in the red corner. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Just because you exhibit red behaviour doesn't mean you are red.

Or something like that.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by some bloody colonial:
Oh, great. I bet Erin deliberately transmogrified into the razor-fanged possumivore just to prove my previous statement naive. I also bet Wood was in on it. Both your self-righteous banshee acts don't fool me.

Oh, go pleasure a moose.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

- Posted      Profile for Nonpropheteer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Of course there are exceptions. They should be dealt with immediately and firmly.

Er, the Lawrence Inquiry found that the entire Metropolitan (Greater London) police force is "institutionally racist."
...and the McCarthy inquiry found Hollywood to be filled with communist pinkos intent on the destruction of the American system. Perhaps we should go less by what other people tell us and ust insist that our civil rights be recognized?

Governments always use fear tactics to talk you into forgoing your privacy and other rights. How, exactly, did they prove the racism?

NP

Nonpropheteer
6 Syllable Master
# 5053

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Oh, go pleasure a moose.

Ah... the rabid intellectual strikes again. Bloody Colonial must be absolutely seething at this point, probably so much so he cannot respond. Well done, Wood, well done indeed.

NP

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nonpropheteer:
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Oh, go pleasure a moose.

Ah... the rabid intellectual strikes again. Bloody Colonial must be absolutely seething at this point, probably so much so he cannot respond. Well done, Wood, well done indeed.

NP

Nurse? NURSE!

Quick! this man's sense of humour has gone into spasm...

No, it's gone.

What's that, you say? Dead for months? Really. Gosh. Shame.

PS. Bloody Colonial - you can have Sven if you like. Although I'm sure you have plenty of choice.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Punctures thread with hostly toasting fork

Well, we've all had our fun. Apart from NP, who's just shown us all how stupid he can be.

Time for this gee-gee to be put down I think.

Sarkycow, the humane hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016