homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: The Ship of Fools Recipe Book (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: The Ship of Fools Recipe Book
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a cookbook of medieval recipes.

Unfortunately, it says things like, "Add a goodly quantity of cinnamon, but not too much."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In other words, season to taste.

I love historical recipes, and once invited some brave friends round for a Roman meal based on Apicius. It began with fresh sardines and salad - sardines were a delicacy in Roman days, believe it or not - and went on to what unappetizingly translates as chicken with custard, which is actually a spicy chicken quiche, only without the pastry. I remember serving this with turnips flavoured with rosemary, and green beans. For dessert, fresh blackberries with honeyed cream.

It was interesting and much nicer than I'd expected (although I'd practised) and went down very well. But closer to Indian than modern Italian. No tomatoes or potatoes or pasta and a good deal more spices. And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Please start submitting vegetarian dishes.

It's nice to have a use for them.
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews! [Big Grin]
I know that the beef industry is in bad shape right now, but it has been "hard times in the American West" ever since it was invented. However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

I have a modest proposal: we can save the economy if we switch the packing plants to speciality meats. Are there any suggestions?

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if the carnivores all start consuming one another it will make the world safer for vegetarians. A dead animal is a dead animal, right?

Then again, perhaps not. [Ultra confused]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandma-smackin' Tri-Tip with Purple Gravy, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes*

(*So-named because it's so good you'll smack your grandma for never having made it for you.)

Ingredients, listed per recipe:

Meat
====
3-lb. (1.33 kg) tri-tip beef roast ("A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.")

Wet Rub
=======
1 T kosher salt
¼ t. ground celery seed
½ t. fresh ground black pepper
¼ t. dried basil
1 T. horseradish mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
8 fresh whole cloves of garlic, minced

Purple Gravy
1 can or 14 oz. fresh chicken stock
8 oz. red wine
4 oz. butter
4 oz. heavy cream
2 T. flour (enough to thicken gravy)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
2 medium white onions, peeled, cored and quartered
1 large beefsteak tomato, cored, drained and cut into ½ inch wedges
4 oz. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

Tri-Tip
=======

1. Pre-heat grill to medium low and scrub clean grill bars when hot.
2. In a food processor, combine all ingredients of wet rub. Process until smooth.
3. Rub mixture on tri-tip coating all sides. Reserve any excess to coat meat during grilling.
4. Heat frying pan big enough to hold meat with 4 T canola or olive oil. Place coated tri-tip into fry pan. Sear until browned on all sides – approximately 2 minutes per side. Reserve this pan "as is" afterward for the gravy to be made.
5. Oil grill to prevent tri-tip from sticking.
6. Place tri-tip on center of grill with the fat side up. Close lid. Cook 25 minutes or until exterior is mostly charred, or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F (63 C) for rare or 160 degrees F (71 C) for medium. It's okay if the rub should catch fire for a minute or two; this will crisp the outside nicely.
7. Remove tri-tip from grill and allow to rest uncut for 10-15 minutes.

Purple Gravy
============
8. Add wine, 8-oz. chicken stock, butter to the pan the meat was seared in. Bring to a boil. Reduce by half.
10. Add cream, salt and pepper. Reduce by a quarter.
11. Make thickening for gravy by combining 6 oz. chicken stock with 2 T. flour. Mix well – no lumps! Add thickening to pan and stir to mix. Keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming.

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
12. Drain tomato wedge in colander over bowl – let drain for 30 minutes.
13. Heat 2 T olive or canola oil in saute pan. Add onions when oil is hot.
14. Saute onions until softened and mostly translucent. Break apart wedges into their discrete layers with a cooking spoon.
15. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
16. Add tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve immediately.

Slice tri-tip across the grain. Serve with gravy on slices; onions and tomatoes on the side.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Yes, I see how this could more programs for Martha Stewart to tape for her TV show.

[Wink] [Killing me] MB

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Motherboard:
quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Then there is the old joke about prices:

Sign in the specialty meats market:
Physicist Brain $0.10/lb.
Politician Brain $100.00/lb.

"Why the big price difference"
"Do you know how many politicians you have to round up to get a pound?"

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

Why? We tried the poultry with mint and honey and celery seed and vinegar in the crock pot this weekend and it was wonderful! [Yipee]

David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

There used to be a farm in the south of England that would sell you edible dormice, complete with a hazelnut stuffing. However, they cost about 60 pounds for a small batch.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do still plan on posting or sending these recipes.

Soon. Yes, really... [Embarrassed]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016