homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Field Guide to Americans and the British (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Field Guide to Americans and the British
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But my guess is that, if they sound like Californians, it is because they were settled by people from all over the place and unlike the midwest haven't yet had time to develop their own local dialect.

On the other coast, Virginia has been settled for nigh onto 400 years. (Before those new-comers in Bah-ston) We have at least seven distinct dialects within the Commonwealth. Those who have a good ear for such things can narrow down to which county a native Virginian hails from.

Campbellite
Virginian by marriage.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyUK:
I did . . . . . . unfortunately
Not so bad as "Grits" though

Grits- pronounced "Gah-REE-its" Best if eaten with runny fried egg (I know, it's not healthy and out of fashion), and crispy fried bacon-all smashed up together. Yum, yum! Can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. (Or breakfast dinner or supper-depending on your location.)

G.R.I.T.S.: girls raised in the south

jj...raised in the north by a G.R.I.T.S.

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But you aren't differing - you are agreeing with me!
Um.... I was just making sure you were paying attention. [Paranoid]

quote:
if they sound like Californians, it is because they were settled by people from all over the place and unlike the midwest haven't yet had time to develop their own local dialect.
I dunno, I think the West Coast has its own dialect. The "valley girl" accent seen in movies may be overdone, but one can detect it.

quote:
We have at least seven distinct dialects within the Commonwealth. Those who have a good ear for such things can narrow down to which county a native Virginian hails from.
Golly, we only have 3 in Indiana. Northern, Southern, and Gary, which speaks the Chicago dialect.

quote:
Grits- pronounced "Gah-REE-its" Best if eaten with runny fried egg (I know, it's not healthy and out of fashion), and crispy fried bacon-all smashed up together.
No! Grits are best with butter, salt, and pepper.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a west-coast accent, it's just extremely subtle, and most people cannot tell at first listen. When I lived in California, I was once able to tell people from the midwest. It actually has more to do with the how fast one talks rather than any accent. Californians, for some reason, have a faster tempo of speach than midwesterners. In California, I rarely heard the "valley girl" or "surfer" accents. Then again, I lived in San Diego, so the prevelent other accent was the gringo border "Cheech and Chong" accent.

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chances are we won't develop a lot of local dialects in the western US. The differences in pronunciation we do have are comparatively minor, and mass communication and ease of travel is likely to keep it that way. It's not just that the east coast has had a long time to develop dialects (and Britain even longer), it's that they had a long time to develop dialects before the advent of high-speed travel and the media of radio and TV.

I once saw a map of US dialects. There were a lot of narrow horizontal bands in the east. One in the middle got wider and wider moving west and took up the entire west coast. The other bands correspondingly bent north or south and disappeared. People in Seattle, Washington and San Diego, California sound a lot the same, despite being very far apart, where as people in Maine don't sound anything like folks in the southeastern US.

[stupid admin not using preview post]

[ 17. October 2002, 17:54: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
[QUOTE]You can keep your biscuits and gravy, kenwritez.

<Insert sigh of anguish over the cruel, cruel ignorance displayed in above quote.>

Duo, if only you knew....

One of the finest breakfasts available on this planet is cathead biscuits (named after their approximate size, not contents!) and freshmade sausage gravy properly made with a good roux, both white and black peppers, white wine and diced caramelized onions and minced fresh basil. It is a simple breakfast of not just substance, but also sublimity and a hearty satisfaction. It'll definitely help cure what ails you!

If you ever come out here, I will either find it for you or make it for you, or I'll even send you the recipes.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken Said:
quote:
The original question was why people in Utah sounded like people in California. If they do (I have no idea, I've never been to Utah & I can't remember ever meeting a Utan (Utasian? Utie? Ute? Utishman?) But my guess is that, if they sound like Californians, it is because they were settled by people from all over the place and unlike the midwest haven't yet had time to develop their own local dialect.
They sound like Californians. Probably because we are exporting Californians till they take over the world (mostly via state government regulations, but I digress).

In California, we refer to them Utah people as Mormons.....

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CowboyUK
Apprentice
# 3428

- Posted      Profile for CowboyUK   Author's homepage   Email CowboyUK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Crumpets are for eating with butter and Marmite!

No Way, Toasted, slathered with Butter & then covered inLancashire cheese which is then melted melted under the grill !! ah the Saturday breakfasts of my childhood !!

[UBB Code edited]

[ 18. October 2002, 04:01: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
There's bound to be rough waters and I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain I can make it through them all
- Garth Brooks (The River)

Posts: 37 | From: Riding the wide open prairie of Life | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No! Grits are best with butter, salt, and pepper.
No, grits *IS* best with butter, salt and pepper.

Actually, grits is good almost any way you prepare them.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW, up here in Northern California, we are woefully ignorant on Orange County...I am afraid I one of them. Rich people around here are the biggest hippies, so there are really no conservative areas...in fact Marin (where Johnny Walker is from) is a very posh area with scary Radicals...they just don't make as much noise as the Berkeley ones. Are they conservative in Orange county? maybe I should relocate if I move south. [Big Grin]

One guy at work actually kept on going on about how how he was voting for Al Gore and how Dubya sucked (about 90% of my office). I try not to discuss politics and religion too much at work since debates ensure and take up work time...so I tried for once in my life to keep my mouth shut. He loudly kept badgering me until he point blank said "Aren't YOU going to vote for Al Gore?" and I just shook my head no. He FREAKED OUT! He could not believe it! "Whaddya mean...you are voting for Bush? Bush?" It was like I shook his paradigm or something. He was from Boston though...maybe in Boston comfortable shoe type woman like myself vote for Gore? I dunno. At the time, it upset me...but now, looking back, I believe it was a good thing.

Anyway, about the dialect thing, interesting theories.

Hoosiers try to sound like Canadians...eh.
Some sound like waterdown Canadians...
speaking of which...one of my territories in sales is Canada...and I can hear it in their voices. "Hi, eh, can you tell me ABOOT your product?" I mean it literally is that thick! The French Canadians are easy to spot "Bonjour, Meeee-llliiiisss-sa, I need you...to Heeellpp me wit dis pricing?"

About the scone thing...when I lived in London in 1989...I ate scones a lot from a deli. They were all packed up like cookies and cheap..so I bought lots. I can not find them here...but they ROCKED. Maybe TJ has them and I didn't look hard enough...or maybe Cost plus would have them...

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken Said:
quote:
The original question was why people in Utah sounded like people in California. If they do (I have no idea, I've never been to Utah & I can't remember ever meeting a Utan (Utasian? Utie? Ute? Utishman?) But my guess is that, if they sound like Californians, it is because they were settled by people from all over the place and unlike the midwest haven't yet had time to develop their own local dialect.
People from Utah are known as Utahns. There are distinct Utah characteristics in the use of language. I hazard the guess that you have actually been talking to the Californians who have moved here, after selling their overpriced houses there. With the gains, they have been driving up housing prices here, influencing grocery stores and restaurants to keep strange food items such as sundried tomatoes, and chips made out of bizarre non-potato ingredients, and in general agitating to change "our lovely Deseret, where the Saints of God are met."

Some general Utahn characteristics:

Children may be named combinations of their parents' names, such as Raylene.

Girl children may be named Utahna.

La or Le are favored prefixes to names. Ladonna or Lavell (for boys) are suitable. Legrand is another name for boys.

Children are named after Book of Mormon characters. A good friend's father is Nephi (called "neef" by his intimates), and my friend is David Nephi. There is no truth to the assertion that this name means "lover of grape-flavored drink", by the way.

"Over to" is not used to indicate the end of a radio transmission, but to indicate a location. "She is working over to Walmart."

"For" is a very useful word to introduce exclamations. For rude! For nice! For scarey! For fun!

Besides these widely spread speech markers, there is also a distinct dialect, now confined largely to southern Utah. It is sometimes called the American Fark dialect, as this is one of its strongholds. The dialect's chief distinguishing feature is exchanging the vowel sounds "O" and "A". A sentence like this could be formed: My Lard, Narman, someone stole our cor. How will we get to the pork after Sacrament Meeting?

I have been told that it was fashionable at one time in the English upper class to exchange these vowel sounds. After the fashion died amongst the trend-setters, it was taken up by the poor. Of course, the poor were exactly those to whom the Mormon message appealed, and who made up a disproportionate share of Utah's early settlers.

[Fixed quote. 'Cos there's not much to do in Heaven these days]

[ 18. October 2002, 07:13: Message edited by: The Coot ]

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
wee_sleekit
Apprentice
# 3372

- Posted      Profile for wee_sleekit   Email wee_sleekit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
Final test: Do you know what a gooeyduck is? Can you describe the sun?[/QB]

Raised as a Pacific Northwesterner, I DO know what a "gooeyduck" is, and I know that it's spelled "geoduck" too. [Wink] The sun is the shiny warm thing up in the sky. I'm rather fond of it, and that's why I live in Silicon Valley now. For the record, I would like to add that I am one of the statistically rare residents of this part of CA who is not a computer geek and who did not vote for Barbara Boxer, let alone Gray Davis (our current governor, hopefully soon to be our recently replaced governor). We are the few, the proud, the California Conservative Christian Right-wingers...

--------------------
"Give to us [O Lord], clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."
--Peter Marshall, Chaplain of the U.S. Senate, 1947-49

Posts: 3 | From: Palo Alto, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard a Hoosier that speaks like a Canadian, except in jest of course.

And no Hoosier at any point in history has ever said "eh?" Ever. [Roll Eyes]

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

wee_sleekit
Apprentice
# 3372

- Posted      Profile for wee_sleekit   Email wee_sleekit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by troy:
Sigh, it seems that only we who huddle close to the Lake are holding the line against any drawls or twangs.
-troy[/QB]

Folks in Oregon (OR-a-gun) and Washington are fighting the good fight as well. I've heard tell news anchors train there, too. And no one has ever been able to "place" me, because they can't discern an accent!

[Duplicate post deleted]

[ 18. October 2002, 15:26: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
"Give to us [O Lord], clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."
--Peter Marshall, Chaplain of the U.S. Senate, 1947-49

Posts: 3 | From: Palo Alto, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still find it remarkable that anyone thinks you can tell someone's theology from the chain stores they use [Smile]

What woul;t that be like in England? Would theological liberals go to WH Smith's & conservatives to Boots?

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A times I have seen 'get off your franny'. I am aware that 'fanny' can be used in the States to to mean posteror. (It means vigina in the UK.)

So what does 'franny' mean?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I have just encountered some guys in my youth who talked like Canadians and drank beer a lot...wore the snow hat...kind of reminded me of SCTV... [Wink]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess [green]:
Are they conservative in Orange county? maybe I should relocate if I move south. [Big Grin]

Well, put it this way: I lived there for nine years, and it was hell for me. You'd love it. In Irvine my housemates and I used to go to the polls together, and we'd be the only three Democrats and one Independent in the entire precinct.

Plus, your chances of meeting a conservative guy who attends church regularly would be much higher in Orange Co than anywhere in the Bay Area. FWIW.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To find the traditional conservatives Orange County dwellers these days, you have to look pretty far south - Irvine and beyond. Of course if you get too close to the coast you run into the artistic sort of liberals. My prediction is the the OC conservative is a dying breed.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Ruth W, you would love it up here (Bay Area). I am in the minority here...one of the few Repulicians (albeit a secret shipmate pm'd me to let me I was not alone in the Bay Area of voting for Bill Simon). Orange County sounds like a dream! Full of what the National Review calls "Crunchy Conservatives" (hippie like Conservatives basically). I will dream of Orange County before I sleep...maybe i will check it out sometime.

Scot, what the blazes is "OC conservative" mean? Pray tell, pls explain sir.

--------------------

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
?

I look like a hippie...I dress casual and wear comfortable shoes. I also eat a lot from Trader Joes (a popular organic like grocery market). I shock people when they discover I am this Conservative born-again Christian. My roomate too.

quote:
I still find it remarkable that anyone thinks you can tell someone's theology from the chain stores they use [Smile]

What woul;t that be like in England? Would theological liberals go to WH Smith's & conservatives to Boots?

Ken, I was thinking about this last week and I think judging by dutchess, that the UK equivalent might be closer to Holland and Baratt for the liberals while conservatives might find themselves shopping at Sainsbury's or even Waitrose. Perhaps they would also buy their clothes at Debenhams. (V. Popular UK dept store very much straight laced and everyone seems to get their wedding list from there!). Liberals perhaps use Ikea? [Confused]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitrose? The food branch of John Lewis Partnership, the nation's largest workers co-operative? The place that all good lefties (including me) go when they find the need to go to a department store?

The place that my daughter, aged about 10, called "Marks and Spencer's for people who don't want to admit they go to Mark's and Spencer's"?

I still don't see the theological connection [Smile]

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, forgot that! [Embarrassed]
There probably isn't one suffice to say that places like sainsbury's are highly respectable places and highly regulated (I know, I've seen the product specifications for them) so in a way... conservative?? You're probably right and we shouldn't pigeon hole people's theology for where they shop.
I think your daughter is right about Waitrose!

To completely change the subject, has anyone thought to takle the differences between USA guys and UK Blokes - and what about snogging???!

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitrose are very good at organic, ethical, fairtrade, supporting local farmers etc etc, and so nice and lefty. You do pay a bit more, but hey, it's worth it (especially when you have a discount card like me!) But it can be Middle-Class Central, I admit.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
But it can be Middle-Class Central, I admit.
What's wrong with middle class? [Paranoid]

quote:
To completely change the subject, has anyone thought to takle the differences between USA guys and UK Blokes -
Good question...

quote:
and what about snogging???!
What about it? We call it "making out." That's about all...

Zach

--------------------

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

Ok, so the snogging thing was a bit of a non starter.
UK blokes? Not sure exactly if we can stereo type them into a definative description but for my starter for 10, football of the soccer variety would have to be up there with favourite past times, and most of them are not of the stuttering Englishman type so often portrayed by Hugh Grant.
Sorry if that seems a bit obvious....

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Doesn't US "making out" imply going a bit further than British "snogging"? Of have I been misinterpreting all those films all these years?

I'm not sure you can be a "bloke" without drinking beer. "Guys" can make do with coffee.

Drinks have different social meanings in Britain than in the USA.

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't US "making out" imply going a bit further than British "snogging"?

If I had to guess, "making out" is the milder of the two ("French Kissing" is fairly synonymous). To use the popular Baseball-terminology-based euphemisms:

First Base--Making Out
Second Base--Touching "North"
Third Base--Touching "South"
Scoring

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Oh, so I have been misreading. I thought that "making out" would be the sort of activity for which condoms were advisable.
Aethelburt
Apprentice
# 3462

- Posted      Profile for Aethelburt   Email Aethelburt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
quote:
Originally posted by golden_key:

American biscuits = Don't know the British equiv.

Scones.

American scones = Something that the woodlouse crawled out from underneath. Put it back so he isn't homeless - you'll break your teeth trying to eat it.

Posts: 7 | From: Tinnessee (yes, that's TINNessee) | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

No, "making-out" is just kissing for extended periods of time. "French kissing" is usually part of making out, which is when the partners tongues enter each other's mouths.

I thought "sniogging" was kissing while getting very, as we Americans say, "hot'n-bothered."

Zach

--------------------

Aethelburt
Apprentice
# 3462

- Posted      Profile for Aethelburt   Email Aethelburt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by golden_key:
[qb]

American biscuits = Don't know the British equiv.

Scones.

Brit.: sk-AH-n = Murcan: sk-O-n (least 'round here)

Posts: 7 | From: Tinnessee (yes, that's TINNessee) | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Scot, what the blazes is "OC conservative" mean? Pray tell, pls explain sir.

Orange County conservative. Orange County (OC) has traditionally been the main southern California bastion of the politically conservative. Remember "B-1" Bob Dornan? He was from Garden Grove in OC. However, times are a-changin'. OC is steadily becoming less conservative and the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties) is becoming more conservative.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs de Point
Shipmate
# 1430

- Posted      Profile for Mrs de Point   Author's homepage   Email Mrs de Point   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always considered snogging as basically french kissing plus some extra hand movements. Usually with all the participants outer garments still on!

Getting off with someone is taking things a little bit further with hand movements underneath outer garments and getting rather steamy.

--------------------
Beware I am not in control of my hormones..... or my mind

Posts: 602 | From: Across the road from Calvin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
CowboyUK
Apprentice
# 3428

- Posted      Profile for CowboyUK   Author's homepage   Email CowboyUK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't US "making out" imply going a bit further than British "snogging"?

as a Brit guy, who lived across the pond for a while, I can't say I ever found much difference between the two

--------------------
There's bound to be rough waters and I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain I can make it through them all
- Garth Brooks (The River)

Posts: 37 | From: Riding the wide open prairie of Life | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Conservatives in OC, let's not forget San Diego County, which, tradtionally, has been a bastion for Conservatism as well. That may have more to do with the strong military presence in the area than anything. When so many people's jobs depend on a heavilly-funded military, people will tend to vote for job security. If I remember correctly, no Democratic presidential canidate has won San Diego County since WWII.

Dutchess,
You're a NR reader too! It's good to see someone else on this board who's a WFB fan. [Smile]

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Yes, I read NR. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I also read the National Review. Hooray!

Zach

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the National Review on newsstands but haven't read it. Is it similar to the American Spectator?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:
I've seen the National Review on newsstands but haven't read it. Is it similar to the American Spectator?

NR is a different beast than the American Spectator. If you have ever read anything by William F. Buckley Jr., his influence permeates the magazine. It has more of a higher culture feel than the Spectator. I actually read National Review for six months, and it boosted my English portion of the SAT by about 100 points. [Smile]
It's OK for everyone to go back to arguing about scones or biscuts and gravy. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

- Posted      Profile for Assistant Village Idiot   Author's homepage   Email Assistant Village Idiot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which do I join? The part about NR, or making out, or one of the other topics?

I subscribed to NR for several years but now take it mostly online. It remains the best evidence that the creative disagreement is coming from the right these days.

As to making out. The phrase has changed in meaning over the years. My parents' generation would have regarded "making out" as sexual intercourse or pretty darn close, while "making love" would be closer to kissing, or even just flirting. In my generation the terms have reversed in the intensity of encounter they describe. I don't know if a 20 y/o American would have a slightly different meaning.

Posts: 885 | From: New Hampshire, US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Yup, "making love" is just a nice was of saying "having sex."

Zach

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

An American quirk I thought of on another thread.

Americans are quite happy to complain about the weather amongst themselves. But if a foreigner complains about the weather, it's because he needs to toughen up. Actually, it goes for anyone from a region with a differant climate from the speaker as well.

English guy- "Indiana is so bloody cold!"

Zach- *with blue lips and chattering teeth* "Nah, you Brits just need to toughen up!"

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a recent visit to England in several locations I must say I think the Brits have much thicker blood than Yanks, if the temperature of their abodes is any indication. Most American homes are overheated and we whine if it gets the least bit chilly. I personally prefer it cooler rather than warmer but I did a few times keep singing "London Homesick Blues" (that's Jerry Jeff Walker to all you non-Texans): "Well it's cold over here, and I swear, I wish they'd turn the heat on."

And what's up with those toilets over there? I think the last day I was there I finally got the hang of flushing. There's a certain wrist action, as Cosmo explained to me. And forget about flushing twice. If you don't get it right the first time you have to wait about an hour to flush again. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yup, "making love" is just a nice was of saying "having sex."

only currently. not sure when the change in meaning came, but back in the 40s at least, it ment more along the lines of "courting".

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
After a recent visit to England in several locations I must say I think the Brits have much thicker blood than Yanks, if the temperature of their abodes is any indication. Most American homes are overheated and we whine if it gets the least bit chilly. I personally prefer it cooler rather than warmer but I did a few times keep singing "London Homesick Blues" (that's Jerry Jeff Walker to all you non-Texans): "Well it's cold over here, and I swear, I wish they'd turn the heat on."

And what's up with those toilets over there? I think the last day I was there I finally got the hang of flushing. There's a certain wrist action, as Cosmo explained to me. And forget about flushing twice. If you don't get it right the first time you have to wait about an hour to flush again. [Embarrassed]

I will raise my hand [insert imaginery hand raising icon]that I always kevitch about how cold it is ANYTIME I set my foot outside California (unless in Florida or some other sunny spot). I just can not bear cold weather. I fought to get those funny looking white pipes things in London to work when it was cold with my landlord (and I won!). We don't have those in California..I don't think any part of the USA has them. What are they called [to any Brit reading this]? My flatmates all were content to freeze including the British flatmate we had. I though can take great heat more than a lot of people I know during heat waves (my roomie gets on my case to open the window a lot).

Regarding the toilets over there...I LOVED THEM! They flush so well! You could flush a small kitten down the toilet by accident if you weren't careful [Eek!] In France too! (I remember getting up in the middle of the night to use the fascilities in a hotel room in Paris and inadvertently flushing some francs down the toilet). My sister heard "flush...clink-clink-clink" and started LOL.

The toilets in California are designed to save water. You must flush more than once to get rid of evidence for the next user. It is awful but I guess they do help conserve. Give me a nice British toilet anytime. *Sigh*

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
We don't have those in California..I don't think any part of the USA has them. What are they called [to any Brit reading this]?
Those would be radiators. We have those here in Indiana, which is nice and frigid in the winter. [Big Grin]

I really despise hot weather. [Puke] I'd much rather bundle up than wear short and short-sleeves.

Unfortunatly, Indiana has 90 degree summers with high humidity. Harsh summers AND harsh winters.

Zach

--------------------

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I always kevitch about how cold it is ANYTIME I set my foot outside California...

Every summer my daughter visits New Mexico from her home in Arizona, and she complains about the cold.

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
...I always kevitch about how cold it is ANYTIME I set my foot outside California...

Every summer my daughter visits New Mexico from her home in Arizona, and she complains about the cold.
I know a woman in North Yorkshire who thinks everywhere south of Sheffield is too hot .

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
I know a woman in North Yorkshire who thinks everywhere south of Sheffield is too hot.

Scary! Brrr! When I was in Chester (near Wales), I can remember buying scarves (which I still have) because I was FREEZING MY YANKEE BUTT OFF!

[Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016