homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The Bible - warning, likely spoilers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The Bible - warning, likely spoilers
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have read up to the end of the Gospels now, so many twists and turns in the plot!

I love the early chapters about Creation and Moses, felt that some bits after that needed a bit of editing. I guess perhaps God is such a big name now that no one dared edit the text down a bit.

Nice introduction of new characters with the prophets, really seems to be building to something.

This Jesus character that was introduced in the last book is certainly one to watch, odd how he suddenly started to dominate, but guess it was an inevitable consequence of the book before, the death was certainly a shock, and sad to see new characters such as Judas killed off so soon.

So what will happen in the next book? My prediction is that Peter will pair off with Mary Magdelene, Jesus will turn out to be Elijha, and everyone will live happily ever after.

Neil

[ 30. March 2004, 05:20: Message edited by: Coot W*nkMeister Eckhardt ]

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Neil---I am in an absolutely rotten mood, and that's the first thing I've laughed at all day. Bless you. [Smile]

--------------------
Sister Jackhammer of Quiet Reflection

Posts: 886 | From: Sweet Tea Land, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, though re the Gospels isn't it a bit strange having basically the same story told four times over? It doesn't do much for the suspense does it?

Though that last bloke John was a bit strange really in his take on things, do you think he was on something? Certainly had a different perspective to the others...

Not *that* much humour, though it's always difficult with translated texts isn't it? Sometimes you just wonder what that guy Jesus actually said, you have a sense that it was probably really funny at the time...

But some strong female characters, you must admit...

Beats Tolkien into a cocked hat as far as jokes and sex are concerned anyway...

[ 25. July 2003, 18:19: Message edited by: welsh dragon ]

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think a major enough character died?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I thought that was very effective lurker, though the actual ending so far leaves you wondering a bit. Having him die and then come back to life again . It's sort of confusing for people...is this a comedy or a tragedy?

Though the way for sequels and prequels and, well, co-quels seems to have been left wide open at the end

quote:
Originally written by John:
There are many other things that Jesus did. If every one of them were written down,63 I suppose the whole world64 would not have room for the books that would be written.65

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ummm this bit where he dies and then comes back to life again .... bit fishy... sounds like Pam Ewings dream in Dallas... cant wait for the sequel.

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to give too much away, but I can tell you that it has a cracking ending. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The prequel should be interesting too.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not enough explicit sex but plenty of mystery. On the whole I doubt it will sell. They will end up giving them away.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] Very funny.

I hate to disapoint you neil but it's pretty much downhill from now on.

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by footdoc:
ummm this bit where he dies and then comes back to life again .... bit fishy... sounds like Pam Ewings dream in Dallas... cant wait for the sequel.

A bit deus ex machina isn't it?

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
irreverentkit
Apostle's Amanuensis
# 4271

- Posted      Profile for irreverentkit         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh but now you get this Paul character. Wish there was more plot about him. Once Acts runs out it's just a sort of endless haranguing.

Hang on, though. The end of the book is a wild, wild ride! I see Jerry Bruckheimer as director of the movie version ...

Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cease and Desist! [Mad]

I'm from the Purity above Rudeness, Unbelievable behavior, Depsicable characters, and Egregious role-models (P.R.U.D.E.) campaign.

This book entitled "The Bible" is not suitable for good, morally-upright families and children.

Don't believe me? Just look through the pages! Kings taking hundreds of wives, cities getting destroyed, sexual exploits that would make the editors of Playboy blush, people nailing each other to two-by-fours, people coming back from the dead...it goes on, my friends!

Do you want your children being exposed to this, oh reasonable reader? Of course you don't. Then please sign my petition to keep this "Bible" out of school libraries, public libraries, and just about anywhere young minds are in danger of corruption.

P.R.U.D.E. Building a more homogenized tomorrow. For the children.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
nervous whisper
Um, Elizabeth Anne, that was too scary.

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil (starbelly):
...felt that some bits after that needed a bit of editing...

Especially all those and-so-and-so-begot-so-and-sos. Fercryinoutloud, just put all that in a supplement like the Silmarillion if some people want to get that geeky about it.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be a detective story really, with clues to what is going to happen in the second part hidden in the first. The concordance at the end tells you what all the clues were, except it calls them "prophecies" for some reason. And apparantly some of them haven't been finished yet.

No cheating by looking up the clues in the concordance!!! Not that I read all of the first part first [Embarrassed]

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the stuff about Joseph of Arimathea handing over the Holy Grail to he Knights Templar seemed a bit far-fetched.

But it was very subtly woven into the rest of the plot anyway.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't researchers find a fifth Gospel? I am not a theologian or even a preacher's kid (just a lector a few times a year) but I think I heard something about it. [Help] [Not worthy!]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abishag

Ship's Quality Shag
# 4710

- Posted      Profile for Abishag   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you spot my little role???? I hope I came across well - I mean it's hard doing the surreal thing - never played a hot water bottle before!

I read this review of Paul's books by some bod called Josephus - liked this bit:

"Paul, a small, bald, hunchbacked man with a large, hooked nose..."

Don't suppose he got many offers, then!

--------------------
http://www.celticheads.com
http://www.evamcintyre.com http://www.bangormonachorum.com

Posts: 763 | From: Keeping King David warm...while reading a good book! | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paigeb:
[Killing me]

Neil---I am in an absolutely rotten mood, and that's the first thing I've laughed at all day. Bless you. [Smile]

ditto! I can not wait to see how this story pans out!!

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote Elizabeth Anne
quote:
Do you want your children being exposed to this, oh reasonable reader? Of course you don't. Then please sign my petition to keep this "Bible" out of school libraries, public libraries, and just about anywhere young minds are in danger of corruption.

P.R.U.D.E. Building a more homogenized tomorrow. For the children.

Bowdler Was Right.

I think there should only be a "Lamb's" version of the Bible available to the public. It can have all the pretty and edifying parts like Moses Saved from the Bullrushes and the simpler Parables. With colorful pictures.

A few copies of the unexpurgated version can remain in scholarly collections. Someone has to deal with the indelicate parts. [Disappointed]

[ 26. July 2003, 15:42: Message edited by: Lyda Rose of Sharon ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Second Mouse

Citizen of Grand Fenwick
# 2793

- Posted      Profile for Second Mouse   Email Second Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Well, I thought that was very effective lurker, though the actual ending so far leaves you wondering a bit. Having him die and then come back to life again . It's sort of confusing for people...is this a comedy or a tragedy?

The author has no originality, this dieing and coming back thing is so obviously lifted straight from Gandalf in LotR. [Roll Eyes]

Claire

Posts: 1254 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
A few copies of the unexpurgated version can remain in scholarly collections. Someone has to deal with the indelicate parts.

Nah, I don't think the indelicate parts should only be read by scholars. I think anyone should be able to read them.

Apart from women and children, obviously.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Second Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:

The author has no originality, this dieing and coming back thing is so obviously lifted straight from Gandalf in LotR. [Roll Eyes]

Claire

I understood the whole thing was an allegory to present C.S. Lewis' Narnia books to an older generation. And the four perspective story telling.. a masterpiece of post modernism.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

I think the author hasn’t had any formal writing training, or he or she would not have made the basic mistake of having main characters with names starting with the same letter (makes it too confusing for the reader). Clearly that are too many ‘J’s – Jesus, James, John (how many Johns were there).

And the whole Elijah/Elisha thing is just too much.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker:
quote:
A few copies of the unexpurgated version can remain in scholarly collections. Someone has to deal with the indelicate parts.

Nah, I don't think the indelicate parts should only be read by scholars. I think anyone should be able to read them.

Apart from women and children, obviously.

You and Samuel Clemens would have gotten along fine. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Overall some great ideas but I have some problems with the title. Our marketing people can surely come up with something better that "the Bible". Ok, so "Bible" is only one syllable, but it lacks easy recognition - you know what I mean?

And this idea of a whole heap of different writers has got to go. Sure, so there's meant to be a guiding mind behind it all but it lacks coherence - dare I say some parts even seem to cotradict others.

I'm not sure what it does for the dignity women either. Imeantersay a hot water bottle? even if it is only a bit part.

My considered opinion is it will never sell in its current form, let alone win any major literary prize.

Huia- literary editor to the stars

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Overall some great ideas but I have some problems with the title. Our marketing people can surely come up with something better that "the Bible". Ok, so "Bible" is only one syllable, but it lacks easy recognition - you know what I mean?

Bible has only one syllable?

What parts are you from, pardner? [Roll Eyes]

My only concern title-wise is pronunciation. Might not people think it's pronounced bib'-el (short i). I'm afraid it might make some people giggle which is not what you want in a book of over eight hundred pages. It sounds too much like a silly board game. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Clay_Pigeon

Mathematics
# 2516

- Posted      Profile for Clay_Pigeon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Didn't researchers find a fifth Gospel? I am not a theologian or even a preacher's kid (just a lector a few times a year) but I think I heard something about it. [Help] [Not worthy!]

They found the fifth Gospel, but the author never finished it. It reads more like an outline. Once the buzz about the first four dies down, the publisher will probably have a well-known author (like Tom Clancy or Stephen King) fill in the gaps and release it to jack up sales again.

Also look for "boxed sets" with all of the Gospels and supplementary materials in them.

-Troy

--------------------
THAT'S IT! NOW I'M PISSED!. You're so off my prayer list.
-Was Once Troy

Posts: 599 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a copy signed by the author. I was going to sell it on Ebay, but if anyone here wants it, let me know.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am suprised the author sold the merchandise rights so readily, I saw a Bible locket, and cards with Bible verses on the other day! No doubt there will be a film soon...

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil (starbelly):
I am suprised the author sold the merchandise rights so readily, I saw a Bible locket, and cards with Bible verses on the other day! No doubt there will be a film soon...

Neil

Then there's that whole role playing business. Gets a little like Rocky Horror fandom at times! We'll soon have to look at 'em lining up outside of theatres and stuff in strange getups.

[ 28. July 2003, 21:02: Message edited by: shareman ]

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Bible has only one syllable?

Hey! I'm a literary agent to the stars, I'm don't do spelling, grammer and that kind of stuff. ( [Embarrassed] )

Huia - going to do pennance somewhere warm -like bed.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the highly bizarre structuring format. Given the diversity of authers, some irregularities in book content is understandable, but one would have hoped that the editor would have had the courage to be a little more 'hands on' in pulling together a more intergrated volume. Were there no guidelines as to book length? It makes for an incredibily unbalenced read to have some books of over 100 chapters, and others that can be read in a minute. Some rationale, some serious pruning, some grouping of minor missives is certainly needed. Certainly, they'll have a problem if they ever want to go down the serialization route.

Another point where editorial weakness is apparent is in the book titles. The default setting appears to be simply the authers name... fair enough, but this gets muddled in with place names, content indicators, historic periods and simply random labling. The name + numbering devise is incredibly clumsey and points to hasty decision making before a deadline. All in all a failed opportunity to give structure, orientation and a more intangablie ethos and resonence to the artistic focus of the book. (For comparison, see 'Unless' by Carol Sheilds).

And don't get me started on the pratice of numbering 'verses'! Tiny super-script numbers poked in any what where? Very distracting. Thank God that hasn't caught on, and that our other great works of fiction aren't similarly plauged.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like the paper used so skipped through and read the last page first. Far too many words if you ask me.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016