homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Presenting: SoF's The Cast Iron Chefs! (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Presenting: SoF's The Cast Iron Chefs!
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Gong of Fate)

GOOOOOOONNGGG!!!!!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WINCE
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"JESUS CHRIST!!!" [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Mad]
"Does he have to use the fricking gong?! And what the hell is in that box? Cake mix? Pudding? What are they supposed to do with pudding?" [Lyda shakes her head and finishes the last of the fudge.]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel

Now that my head has stopped vibrating and my hearing has returned, let's see what awaits us. On the one hand we are promised fantasy vegetarian creations - Gormenghast done in pastry, and the clove-studded tofu towers of Mor Pork spring to mind - on the other, a somewhat outre repast, but who can resist creamed nettles, that most versatile of plants, such a delicate shade of green, so deceptively insipid, but with uniquely purifying and revivifying powers. I wonder if the IC(EH) has read Mrs J R Hartley's recipe book on 101 Interesting Ways To Use Nettles? There will undoubtedly be some difficult decisions in the forthcoming contest.

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English Challenger

a letter written on scruffy file paper in bright pink biro with a history timeline and assorted notes on the back floats down to near where Coot-san is standing. it says...

Dear Mr Coot

I am going to be really fussy/penicity here and can't pm you as i am in college and the system won't let me get to profiles...

I have just found out I have 2000 words of coursework to do before friday.

Can I be an asshat and pospone either the competition or beg you to make it longer so that I actually do some work for the next three days rather than type on here.

I will pm you later. And anticipate your response egarly. Please return this bit of paper as it is my essay plan.

Thank you.

sophs

[out of character] I'm really sorry......i have a free (LOL) day tommorrow so hopefully I will be back in action after not logging in tommorrow.... [/OOC]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Gong of Fate)

GOOOOOOONNGGGGG!

(Coot-san)

Thankyou audience, we are now going to have several long messages from our sponsors until Friday; during which you may deport yourselves with the available food, drink and personnel.

[Edit: Ah sorry, I meant 'desport']

[ 27. January 2004, 13:17: Message edited by: Icarus Coot ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(Mutters: Deport yourselves? I wish someone would deport Coot-san and his blasted gong.)

Ariel

Time for a little light refreshment, I think. I shall adjourn to the bar.

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[OOC]

While we're on a break would someone describe what's in a box of Yorkshire Pudding mix for those of us on this side of the pond? Is it a pre-mixed baking flour like Bisquick? Since my Dad's version (which, btw, I've yet to see equaled in any restaurant over here) is just flour, eggs and roast-beef drippings (I'm not sure what, if any, other liquid he uses), I'm asuming that this pudding mix is just flour, a powdered leavening agent, and, perhaps, salt. Is there a separate artificial flavor packet or bouillon included or perhaps mixed in? Someone want to post a contents label off a box? Thanks, all - your Kishi needs this info to sound pompous and all in the forthcoming battle.

[/OOC]

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze

It is possible he means 'disport'.

Had I known there was to be a delay, I would not have left what was really quite a good party at Forres. Grizelda does a delicious newt-eye canapes, and this thing where she takes individual pipistrelle and stuffs them with feta, then wraps them in their marinated wings. Rather like dolmades, but a little chewier.

Firenze goes back to picking pieces of heather and whin out of her current outfit - a rather fetching combination of ripped black silk and Harris tweed

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Kelly-san spends the break partying at a local pub with the elves)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English Challanger

sophs appears out of no where smiling brightly, and wearing a chinese style sky blue silk sleveless top that reaches almost to her knees and is decorated with silver embroidery, under that she wears a navy blue long-sleved t-shirt and a pair of reasonobly scruffy navy blue jeans and dark blue trainers.

Are we going to start soon? I went to the supermarket after college today and looked at the ingrediant, having never seen it before, and am raring to go!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK, American Victor

A group of house elves humbly approaches Ariel. They apologize for their little joke in an early-morning delivery of Ariel wine.

To make up for it, they offer her a weekend of meals in bed and chores done.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(Accepts with alacrity and rushes back to bed.)
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)

[A multimedia extravaganza extolling the wonders of Yorkshire Pudding mix draws to a close] Thankyou for that little word from our sponsors!

Challenger English Heritage is ready to take on Iron Chef English Heritage in BATTLE YORKSHIRE PUD MIX!!!!

(And in case you didn't hear it, we've already had the gong -

(Gong of Fate)

GOOOOOOONNGGG!!!!!

That's 3 real-time days of cooking from this post!)

[Aside: Nice try Ariel Critic-san, you don't avoid tasting a battery of pud mixes that easily!]

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

[OOC]Kishi, I'm not sure on the Pud Mix contents; praps someone with some in their pantry could enlighten us? Or take an educated guess?[/OOC]
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Lyda, having polished off the fudge, and still possessed of a pleasant buzz, reaches into her roomy bag and pulls out a notebook computer. She flags down a stray house-elf who puts a wireless whammy on the normally modem dependent laptop and puts Google to work. She soon comes up with this lovely site that tells all about this uniquely British foodstuff.]

"And this stuff is supposed to rise? Jeez-louise, makes me think of wallpaper paste.

"Hey, what do you Brits drink with this stuff anyway? George tucked in this bottle he claimed he swiped from his great uncle. Said it was called single malt. That's not malt liquor is it? It can't be; it doesn't bubble and it says whiskey on it. Here it is: Glenfiddich. Is that any good? George says it's good luck. When ya have this bottle you always have friends."

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
[Lyda, having polished off the fudge, and still possessed of a pleasant buzz, reaches into her roomy bag and pulls out a notebook computer. She flags down a stray house-elf who puts a wireless whammy on the normally modem dependent laptop and puts Google to work. She soon comes up with this lovely site that tells all about this uniquely British foodstuff.]

"And this stuff is supposed to rise? Jeez-louise, makes me think of wallpaper paste.

"Hey, what do you Brits drink with this stuff anyway? George tucked in this bottle he claimed he swiped from his great uncle. Said it was called single malt. That's not malt liquor is it? It can't be; it doesn't bubble and it says whiskey on it. Here it is: Glenfiddich. Is that any good? George says it's good luck. When ya have this bottle you always have friends."

[Charlotte is happy to be Lyda's pal if Lyda has Glenfiddich. Charlotte usually drinks Irish instead of Scotch but isn't that picky, especially if something called "Yorkshire Pudding Mix" is on the menu. Although having seen the Wonders of Wonderbread wrought by the Chefs, she is adopting a "wait and see" strategy.]

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. Problems with link. All that comes up is a recipie for adobe.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hm. Problems with link. All that comes up is a recipie for adobe.

Duo Seraphim critic-san

Yorkshire pudding is the natural prelude to roast beef. Cooked under the beef(roasting on the rack above) in its own tin, so that every glorious drop of good honest beef juice anoints it. Then serve it forth, light and golden, puffed up and crispy brown on the edges, with its own natural valley, ready to receive the brown onion gravy. Then on to succulent and hearty roast beef with appetite barely blunted...

See? No resemblance to mud bricks at all.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze critic-san

Firenze is trying to do some serious visualising of the Twa Angel's oven. There is a tin of pudding and above it the joint - either on the shelf, sans its own tin, or on a rack balanced on and above the pudding. And if the juices are soaking into the batter below, how are they also going to be available for the gravy? Moreover, since pudding requires oven temperatures in the terrifying inferno range to ensure puffing up, will not the joint be a cinder?

She shakes her head. Call her a humble old hedge witch, accustomed to cook with little more than a cauldron and a few carbon steel Sabatiers and only the most basic Neff ceramic hob, but it's not what she learnt at the Morgana Le Fay College of Black and Domestic Arts

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

English Challanger

sophs looks around to see what other people are doing, finding no cue to how she should react she chops and onion and fries it, then switches the oven on to heat up and pulls one of the chronicles of Narnia out of her bag and reads it

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cast Iron Chef English Heritage

Checks that the butcher's boy has delivered the beef, and that the arrangements for roasting are ready--was it entirely wise to co-opt Daisy the dachshund from down the street as a turn-spit? Let's see: soup course--veg--and the puddings--is there sufficient cream? And what to do with this damn'd packet of sawdust? Strew the floor like an old-fashioned butcher's?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

english challenger

assembles all the ingrediants for her veggie feast

Where to start...
And how long do we have left?

I need a drink.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ariel Critic-san

Daisy the Dachshund? How appropriate, in a culinary contest, to bring in a sausage dog.

And to employ the creature to turn the spit, making it a genuine hot dog. Will it be served up in a sesame bun with fried onions and a dollop of home-made spicy tomato relish? Will there be other dogs involved, perhaps a Yorkshire terrier, to serve as the main course to go with the Yorkshire pudding?

I think we are in for an interesting evening.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)

Thankyou, Chefs and audience the hour is up - now for the treat our Critics' tastebuds have been waiting for! First Challenger, then Iron Chef English Heritage will reveal their gastronomic triumphs!

(Did anyone see if the icecream maker got a work out?)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Firenze

Since the mention of dogs, Greymalkin has been showing signs of peturbation, and is currently only visible as a pair of glowing eyes underneath Firenze's chair.

In preparation for judging the next chefs, she is perusing a stack of volumes including the Forme of Cury, A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye and The Queens Closet Opened

Fascinating. Who would have thought you could do that with a boar's head, a jar of capers and a peacock baster?

[ 04. February 2004, 07:21: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

* bump*

(Has this thread died? Should we assume the Challenger has given up and award the prize to the opposition instead, or move to the next round or something? Or should we all just go home?)

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

English Challanger

Briefly my menu is...

Starter : Yorkshire Pudding* with ball of nut roast garnished with tomatoe sauce and a sprig of parsly

Little thing that gets give inbetween courses (LTTGGIBC) : Home made Lemon Sorbet with a swirl of raspberry sauce

Main Course : Vegetarian Toad* in the Hole (batter pudding with veggie sausages) served with Mashed Tatties (sophs speciality), seasoned carrots (sophs grandmas speciality) and quick fried green beans.

OR

Nut roast, Yorkshire puddings*, Home Made chips, served with carrots, grean beans and tomatoe sauce.

LTTGGIBM : thin pancake* served with a scoop of dariy vanilla ice cream and drizzled with black current sauce

Pudding : Drop scones* served with honey

OR

Lemon Mirangue Pie
Served with cream

Then : Yorkshire cheese, Nut Pate, home made bread and pate

If your still hungry : a selection of sweet and savory pancakes* or Kipfel (Almond Biscuits - Sophs grandmas recipie from Slovinia)

The items marked with a star are made from the batter mix provided (some wiht extra ingrediants added), other recipies will be provided on request [Big Grin]

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)
Challenger's offerings are certainly interesting and she has used the theme ingredient liberally! She appears to be going for the minimalist nouveau approach, eschewing elaborate presentation and letting the dishes speak for themselves. What will our carnivorous critics make of it - Hot or Not?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Kelly -san

The between course refreshers are a nice touch... I paritcularly liked the ice cream pancakes.

But the main course is truly the centerpiece, very rib-sticky and homey and comforting on a wintery evening such as this. And the combination of Toad-in-a-hole with mashed tatties is very satifying.

As for dessert--I think I will forgoe the lemon merengue in favor of the Zen simplicity of the drop scones. Mmmmmm.

(and as for the pate--if any of the other critics want any, they better get there before I do!)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ariel Critic-san

A new twist on traditional old recipes: still recognizably in keeping with the theme but with a touch of innovation. I have contemplated the nut roast from several angles and am intrigued by its texture and uncompromising solidity. This speaks to me of enduring tradition, of winters in ancient, deer-haunted forests, of coming home to damp and steamy houses with washing freezing on the line outside - all the comforts of a truly British winter, just as the lemon meringue pie with its bright and cheerful colour yet with white icing heralds the promise of spring underneath the overlying frost, or the sunlight of summer with fleecy clouds and autumn (note the brownish tint on the meringue) on its way. It is truly a pie for all seasons, and its appearance on this menu is reassuring.

hermit
Shipmate
# 1803

- Posted      Profile for hermit   Email hermit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really understand what this thread is about, but it seems to be about how to cook food to eat it. That's simple, I can tell you all how to do that.

First you shoot the animal, preferably a deer although at some point you'll need a raccoon or bear for the fat. Then you cut around the anus and genitals and up the underside, pull out the guts etc and throw them to the dogs to play with.

Then you drag the carcass over to your hardwood fire which is full of hot coals but no flames. If you're lazy like me you'll just throw the heart and liver on the fire, but real chefs like to use a spit. If you use a spit you can put on some bear fat before cooking. You have to cook the organs first because they go bad quicker, the deer can be hung up for days and flesh meat sliced off it as you go.

After a minute or so you turn over the liver and heart, then another minute and pull them out with a long fork or bowie knife, scape the ashes off with the knife, and put some of that sea salt on that you traded for. Delicious! If you need vegetables you can chew some dandelion leaves or roast cattail roots.

Some folks like chewing spruce gum for dessert.

--------------------
"You called out loud and shattered my deafness. You were radiant and resplendent, you put to flight my blindness... You touched me, and I am set on fire to attain that peace which was yours." Confessions, St Augustine

Posts: 812 | From: Seattle | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kishi

Kishi ignores the strange man who has somehow wandered into the studio and tastes the appetizer

This theme ingredient presents quite a challenge since the mixture is so similar to a simple wheat flour. Can the chefs show off the theme in ways which highlight and communicate that difference? Interestingly, the challenger has chosen to increase that challenge by focusing on a single national cuisine and by not employing any meat at all.

The first dish shows the theme ingredient in much the way it was intented by the manufacturer to be used. Here the rich tomato sauce serves to provide the body that might otherwise be lacking without the beef drippings that are usually used to make the pudding. This dish is a pure presentation of the theme.

Kishi samples the sorbet, and moves on to the toad in the hole

Again, we are presented with an icon of English cooking. The key to this dish is, of course, the sausage. These sausages were quite flavorful and savory, and they matched well with the additional richness that the mix provides in comparison to the flour which normally used. The accompanying vegitables were well prepared if a bit mundane.

Kishi tries the final dishes.

The pancakes are delightful and the current sauce is quite refreshing.

The scones, finally, are light and fresh and an excellent conclusion to the meal.

Truly, this meal was an excellent presentation of theme. My only mild criticism might be that none of the dishes were particularly innovative beyond the original consideration to include no meat. But that choice in itself was pretty daring, and, ultimately, the dishes were well executed.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Firenze Critic-san

Firenze too notices a wild figure dressed in animal skins gibbering about giblets. She makes a mental note to turn him into something. Possibly a deer.

The meal as a whole is tasty, if a touch farinaceous - understandable, given the mystery ingredient. One has to wonder if tomato sauce is an adequate replacement for gravy?

I consider the sweet pairings the happier invention.

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

quote:
Originally posted by Kishi:
Kishi

The accompanying vegitables were well prepared if a bit mundane.

Girl, have you tried my mashed tatties?

They are done using creme and real butter, with just a hint of garlic and herbs. And may grannies beans, with garlic and pumkin oil from Slovinia wiht a little basalmic vinegar...

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Firenze too notices a wild figure dressed in animal skins gibbering about giblets. She makes a mental note to turn him into something. Possibly a deer.

It's just Myrddin Wyllt. Ignore him. He'll soon wander off back to his cave and compose an ode to a pig under an apple tree or something.
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iron Chef English Heritage
The table is long, and set with white damask cloth and the Minton. The silver's polished and the horn-handled knives have each been scrubbed with clean sand and sharpened. A sufficiency of competent and inconspicuous waiters serves the meal, walking silently on the sawdusted floor (ah! but is it sawdust? perhaps another use has been found for the dread Yorkshire Pudding Mix!)

The menu

Nettle Soup, served with a choux garnish made from the Secret Ingredient
or
Lady Westmorland's Soup ('This is nothing more than the water in which young cabbage has been boiled. It is extremely good and delicate and tastes very much like chicken broth. It is not merely an economy but a luxury; one of the best of health and beauty drinks'--Florence White, founder of the English Folk Cookery Association, 1932)

Potted Lamperns from the Severn, served with toast or

Smelts, breaded with the Secret Ingredient, fried in lard, and served with lemon.

Roast Beef--this is a well-hung sirloin, roasted before the fire in its entirety. Before roasting, it was dusted with dry mustard, black pepper, and the Secret Ingredient to give a crisp crust. The services of Daisy were dispensed with; she was sent home with a bull's pizzle for consolation. One of the kitchen apprentices tended the joint, seasoning (but not salting) it as it roasted, placing the dripping pans where they would do the most good, and basting often. There is enough brown meat for those who like theirs well-done, and plenty of rare for us others. The beef is served with a variety of tracklements: shredded horseradish, fine, white, and packing a kick like radioactive snow; clear hot gravy, Rajah's Sauce and Cab Shelter Sauce (recipes provided on request) for those who want such things. And of course Yorkshire Pudding, made with the Secret Ingredient ( [Frown] much better when made from scratch), but with the egg whites beaten to a stiff froth. The batter makes a 'frou-frou' like an omelette as it goes into the hot fat. It is puffy, crisp, brown, and ready to serve at the same time as the beef.

Roast mixed vegetables: red-skinned potatoes, parsnips, turnips, shallots; roasted with olive oil and a branch of rosemary.

A bowl of hot roast beetroot, served buttered in a nest of its greens.

Salad of cress, young spinach, and infant dandelion leaves

A variety of Puddings, made with the Secret Ingredient:

Profiteroles (made with the Secret Ingredient) filled with a variety of ice-creams (homemade, natch) and served with either chocolate or sloe-gin sauce

Spiced apple fritters (made with the Secret Ingredient)

Tiverton Batter Pudding (made with spice and finely shredded candied lemon rind; eaten hot with butter and sugar)

Angels on horseback or
cheese and biscuits

Fruit, nuts, chocolate, and Port.

The meal is served with a variety of drinks, according to taste. Some will want GIN, some will want ginger-beer. Some will accept the claret when the butler offers it, and some will demand Real Ale.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)
(Bursting with excitement)

The icecream-maker got a work out! The icecream-maker got a work out!
[Aside: You know, I would have liked to have seen something like a cookie-dough icecream made with the theme ingredient but the present offerings look good]

I think Duo Seraphim Critic-san is still sampling Challenger's menu. But something tells me our other critics will be wanting to investigate Iron Chef's menu in fine detail.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ariel Critic-san

The Iron Chef has clearly opted for traditional country cooking, and has undoubtedly spent much of the weekend with carrier bag, trowel and secateurs in hand, perhaps even a fishing net, tramping the back lanes and towpaths for delicacies to surprise us.

Nettle soup is no surprise, though; I had expected no less; but it's really quite difficult to choose between the potted lampreys and the fried smelts. Lampreys, long out of fashion, may after this evening may make something of a comeback in one way or another. And how often do we see smelts? Both are delicious in their own ways.

But I mustn't be greedy. Moving on, I shall comment that the rosemary is perhaps a little excessive, but I daresay we are not meant to eat it all. Is the beef a little tough, perhaps? Thank you, I will have another few slices, just to make sure. But the spiced apple fritters are excellently done, light and not greasy, and the batter pudding delightful, although the candied lemon peel is a little hard on the teeth. What do others think?

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

Kishi

Kishi begins with the nettle soup.

Ah, the traditional winter fare of an island nation. I am stuck by the strange parallels in our cultures respective cuisines. Japan, of course, turns to the sea for most of its meat proteins, but, otherwise, any weed will serve for the soup in both places. The choux adds a nice textural component to the course.

Kishi chooses the smelt

Smelt tend to be quite salty, but that component is quite well controled here. I'm not sure, however, that this dish is markedly different than it would be were flour were to be used instead of the pudding mix.

Kishi works her way methodically through the main course.

Ah, yes, here is the quintessential English meal. The roast is, of course, superb, but I must focus on the theme. Kishi bites into the piping hot pudding. Yes. This dish is exactly what yorkshire pudding should be despite the bland, mass-produced nature of the mix. The extemely high heat of the drippings that the batter was poured into has produced a savory, tasty crust while the interior remains moist enough to truly merit the term "pudding".

Kishi concludes with the various theme-based puddings.

We have quite a bit of butterfat here after the heaviness of the main course. The salad did, of course, provide a break, but that did not feature the ingredient. The various ice-creams were nice. Who knew that Watney's Red Barrel would make such a charming flavor. I must say, however, that the sloe-gin sauce was innovative and created a nice contrast with the rest of meal. The fitters were nice and light. I found the lemon peel in the batter pudding provided a nice bit of chewy texture with just a bit a bitterness which was good at this point in the meal.

The English Cast-Iron chef clearly presented a first class meal. The question remains who articulated this difficult ingredient the best and who brought the most creativity to the table. To my mind this match is quite close. I will need some time to reflect.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

hermit
Shipmate
# 1803

- Posted      Profile for hermit   Email hermit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

It's just Myrddin Wyllt. Ignore him. He'll soon wander off back to his cave and compose an ode to a pig under an apple tree or something.
How int'resting is wot
We put into the pot:
Grandfather's alzheimers,
Our nation's apple miners ...
Cowpigs and seaweed, crushed children of wheat.

--------------------
"You called out loud and shattered my deafness. You were radiant and resplendent, you put to flight my blindness... You touched me, and I am set on fire to attain that peace which was yours." Confessions, St Augustine

Posts: 812 | From: Seattle | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Firenze critic-san

Firenze samples the cabbage-water soup, and reminds herself to do the Westmorlands an evil turn when she is next in that part of the world

Ah, nettles! How rank and strong they grow in the neglected churchyards! Delicious!

And lampreys. How like overgrown, silvery leeches.

And slaughtered bull - how pleasing to Mother Cybele. Ah, how the scent of rosemary brings me back to those rollicking feasts beneath the Minoan moon. Though to get a decent Yorkshire pud, you did have to join the Anglo-Saxons for Blotmonath.

And the apples of Idun.

Truly, a feast to gratify any reasonable deity. What a pity so few of them are.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)

[Hushed whisperings and hurried checks out the back to see if Duo Seraphim Critic-san has succumbed to food poisoning]

Mm. Yes, thankyou Critics. Erm, thankyou, Critics?

[Having scoffed the Nut Pate, Kelly Critic-san is struggling to get through Iron Chef's menu. But she continues to bravely force herself to give each dish the full attention it deserves]

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Floor Reporter Siegfried
a loud snore is heard from behind one of the counters, where Siegfried is sleeping off the bottle of saki he downed during the compeitition.

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Kelly -san reassures her adoring public that she will post something coherent soon, but it mentally not running at full capacity right now...will compose something brilliant tomorrow, after much sleep.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)
[Aside: I think it is like those big snakes that need to sleep off their food.

"An anaconda's diet in the wild is: deer, wild pigs, birds, ocelot, other snakes, tapirs, sheep, dogs and large rodents like agouti, paca, and capybara." ]

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duo Seraphim critic-san

resolutely sets face against accusations of carnivory

The Challenger's menu presents simple yet homely English vegetarian cooking, while eschewing the temptation of tofu "beef". A surpise that the traditonal Yorkshire dish of dock pudding has not made its appearance, but the simple delights of taod-in-the-hole is a grand compensation.

The Iron Chef's menu is both ethnic and baroque - with the frisson of risk posed by a possible surfeit of lampreys.

Eeeey-up, I'm fair mithered and stuffed as a tick.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Kelly-san is back in action

Ok, I started off with Lady Wesmoreland's soup as the savoury odor was overwhelmingly tempting; it was indeed tasty and invigorating. Perked me right up after a rough week.

I also chose the smelts, which were nicely balanced with the lemon.

Kudos to the kitchen jock who kept up the basting on the roast beef; the result is a tender, succulent cut of beef that was a joy to devour.(I put the tiniest dab of horseradish on mine, and it was just perfect)I alternated bites of beef with bites of fluffy pudding, and the effect was one to linger over.

I enjoyed the roast vegetables--firm and juicy with well-balanced seasoning-- but the salad I felt was a bit overwhelmed with the dandelion greens.

I could not choose between the profiteroles and the apple fritters, so I had a bit of both. The profiteroles were a delightful surprise of hot and cold, and the fritters were pleasantly mulled, but otherwise predictable.

I complemented my meal with a Moscow Mule ( ginger beer with a shot of vodka and a splash of lime, on the rocks.)A refreshing ending to a hearty (if a bit heavy) meal.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

(Coot-san)

Thankyou Critics, this is certainly going to be a close contest. And now, while I wait for our Critics to forward their final scores (out of 20, with the categories as before) to me; Audience, please be delighted by Floor Reporter Siegfried who will now interview one of the Chefs.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Coot, I think you need to make some space in your mailbox before any of us can reply.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016