homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Divinely inspired translations? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Divinely inspired translations?
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

- Posted      Profile for Kevin Iga   Author's homepage   Email Kevin Iga   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people have held that the Septuagint translation of the Old Testament into Greek is divinely inspired. Others have held that the Vulgate translation of the entire Bible into Latin is inspired. More recently, a few contend that the King James translation into English is divinely inspired.

Counter to this, there is a view that the "original" language is all that really counts, and the only time that the LXX is preferred over the Masoretic is when it's believed that the LXX reflects an earlier Hebrew tradition.

Others hold that when the Church ends up using a translation for a while, that's evidence that God has put his approval on it.

What do ye say that the Word of God is?

Kevin

[Thread Title fixed]

[ 01. April 2004, 00:09: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Presbyterian /prez.bi.ti'.ri.en/ n. One who believes the governing authorities of the church should be called "presbyters".

Posts: 521 | From: Pepperdine University | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I grew up in a very conservative church. The original manuscripts were believed to have been basically dictated by God. But I never heard of any translation considered that way, not even KJV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "inspired".

If inspiration is found in every word then any translation would need to be correct in every word to retain original inspiration - which would be impossible given the differences in grammatical structures and limitations of vocabulary (eg: "love" in English being the translation of several greek words). In this model no translation can be truly inspired.

On the other hand if inspiration is found in the overall message of a passage as long as a translation is true to that message then it can be said to retain that inspiration even if the words used are not direct translations of the original words (eg: I've been told the Message uses "treasure in cardboard boxes" rather than "clay jars" in 2Co4:7 - which I'd say better represents what Paul was saying). In this model even fairly loose paraphrases may be inspired.

Whatever, translation is also an interpretation (especially as you get further from purely word-for-word translation towards something more readable). So there is always the potential for the translators theological bias to show.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

- Posted      Profile for Kevin Iga   Author's homepage   Email Kevin Iga   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm referring to the idea that inasmuch as many Christians believe God inspired the writers of the Hebrew Old Testament and Greek New Testament, and we can trust their original words as the true word of God, that similarly, God inspired the translators of these texts and that when we realize that the translation has added something new to the text, that in reality, this is new inspiration.

This is not usually applied to all translations; usually it is said in defense of a particular translation, usually either the Septuagint, the Vulgate, or the King James.

Kevin

--------------------
Presbyterian /prez.bi.ti'.ri.en/ n. One who believes the governing authorities of the church should be called "presbyters".

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had someone in my Sunday School class who criticized anyone who read from any Bible other than the KJV (the authorized version, as he would call it.) My tolerance wearing low one day I asked him if his proof for the KJV being divinely inspired was its longevity. He agreed.

Then I asked him if God would have done something about a version that wasn't inspired. He said yes.

Then I asked him what exactly it was God had done about the Vulgate, the Vedic scrolls, the Koran, etc.

No matter how thin you slice it bologna is still bologna. You can call any translation inspired. It is still just a human label for a human effort at bringing the Bible to an audience. It is not just the translation from Hebrew and Greek. It is the choice of which texts to translate into English. It is the judgment call of which passage of which document is a later amendment, etc.

Unless somebody has spotted an angel with sleeves rolled up at the keyboard preparing a translation it is a human work. The translators may well, and probably are, trying their best. That does not make them divinely inspired.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want evidence that some people believe that only certain translations are valid, if not actually divinely inspired, look at Jesus is Lord (with thanks to the Fruitcake Zone's archive).

[fixed broken link]

[ 06. May 2003, 11:46: Message edited by: babybear ]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Iga:
What do ye say that the Word of God is?

Ah, that would be Jesus.

I would say that the Bible (old and newer bits) was written by humans, inspired by the Spirit of God. I think that the Bible charts how God reveals himself/herself to people, and the response.

Jesus was the fullest revelation of God that we have been given.

I don't believe that the Bible was 'dictated' in the way that Muslims believe that the Qur'an was dictated to Muhammad.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

- Posted      Profile for Spong     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No translation of the Bible is inspired.

Every translation of the Bible is inspired.

--------------------
Spong

The needs of our neighbours are the needs of the whole human family. Let's respond just as we do when our immediate family is in need or trouble. Rowan Williams

Posts: 2173 | From: South-East UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

Those of you, who like me, believe the Bible is the Word of God but not dictated, nor inscribed in papyrus by the literal hand of God:

The argument that the translations were made by people does not argue against the idea that the translations were inspired by God, any more than it argues that about the original Biblical texts themselves.

And starting from the Letter of Aristeas, there was a trend to thinking about the Septuagint as divinely inspired as a translation. A later tradition has the seventy elders going into separate rooms and translating it each individually, then coming out and finding they had all written the same thing. For instance. In later arguments with Jews, many Christians defended the Septuagint as inspired when it varied with the Hebrew text. And even today, many modern translations of the Bible will, when the Septuagint varies from the Masoretic text, choose the Septuagint.

For a long time, the Roman Catholic Church officially approved the Vulgate and saw it as having special authority that any other translation did not have, and for some time spoke out against Protestant translations that did not depend on the Vulgate.

Now, mind you, I don't agree with either of these positions, any more than I agree with the KJV arguments, but I wondered if anyone held to those opinions anymore.

Kevin

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that you need to distinguish the issue of the LXX from other 'translations' since the LXX occurred within the timeframe of the canon - there appear to be some instances where the New Testament authors quote authoritatively from the LXX.

I agree with Babyface that Jesus is the Word of God. It is in Jesus we have the full and final revelation of God – but we encounter that revelation through the eyes of the apostles. They were the authorized witnesses to Christ. Thus I believe that the original texts are the word of God since they are the words of the apostles. Translations provide a wider access for people to the word of God – but questions of “ultimate authority” should be resolved from the original languages, not on the basis of idiosyncrasies of specific translations.

The claim that God has oversight of the translation process, or some translation processes, is not in the same category as the promise of Jesus that his disciples would be his authoritative witnesses into the world.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, the oldest Septuagint texts we have are much older than any Hebrew texts. The existing Hebrew texts had been copied many more times with more opportunity for errors to creep in. (I know that the copiers were extremely careful, but no human being is infallible.)

I have heard that some of the Dead Sea scrolls bear out the Septuagint version of certain verses which disagree with the Hebrew text.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pepper

Ship's doubloon
# 3895

- Posted      Profile for pepper   Email pepper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi -

i suppose that i'd agree with BB and Anslem. Who is the Word of God? isn't it Jesus? He's the one; God is what it's all about, right? Not some cruddy translation which will be linguistically out of date in almost no time at all. God is the one who is ancient and current. He is old and new at the same time. And Jesus is the closest thing you can get to a "translation" of God. Right?

Something i do have a hard time is with the phrase "Word of God" being used in reference to the canon of Scripture. I thought John1 said that Jesus was the Word, the Logos. And elsewhere, eg in the OT Prophets, it is said that God's Word (ie his message, which is bigger than the printed matter which makes up the O&NT) never fails. You can imagine what kind of a good time i have on Sunday mornings! But, being the Ever Teachable Pepper, please could someone(s) help me understand how the Bible came, in some circles, to be called "the Word of God", or "the Word"? [Confused] Is it a turn of phrase which should be taken to indicate the speakers beliefs regarding the inspiration behind (or divine communication of) the Bible? Or WOT??

Many times have i wanted to put my hand up, mid sermon, to request explanation. But, unfortunately, i've not yet worked up the guts (or rudeness [Snigger] ) to do so.

So...
[Help]
please explain!

Ta!

pepper

Posts: 511 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First, my humble apology to Babybear for getting the name wrong in my previous post; I think I confused the name with the phrase. Certainly no offence was intended, I was in agreement with what Babybear had said.

Second, in regards to Pepper's question as to how the Bible could be referred to as the Word of God - basically the Bible refers to itself as the ‘word of God’.
For example, in Mark 7:13 Jesus understands the OT to be the word of God.
For Moses said, 'Honour your father and your mother'; and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.' [11] But you say, 'If a man tells his father or his mother, Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban' (that is, given to God)- [12] then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother, [13] thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down." Mark 7:10-13 (ESV)

In the same way the teaching of the apostles is also understood as the word of God, for instance in Acts 6:2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables."

It is easy to see from this how the whole Bible came to be seen as the word of God.
This is not at odds with Jesus being the Word of God, since the scriptures are the faithful witness to Jesus. Christ comes to us clothed in the scriptures.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
First, my humble apology to Babybear for getting the name wrong in my previous post;

Not a problem. [Big Grin] Some folk can get really picky about what others call them, but as long as it isn't too disrespectful ( [Razz] ) I don't mind too much.

quote:
This is not at odds with Jesus being the Word of God, since the scriptures are the faithful witness to Jesus. Christ comes to us clothed in the scriptures.
I fully agree. In discussions about the "Word" I will almost always take the position of Jesus is the Word, because in Prebyterianism, I often come across an almost worship of the Book.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

- Posted      Profile for Spong     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I have heard that some of the Dead Sea scrolls bear out the Septuagint version of certain verses which disagree with the Hebrew text.

According to Geza Vermes (The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English) it's not so much that they support the Septuagint as that they are far more varied than the uniform Masoretic Text that is seen later:
quote:
Some of the fragments echo the ... Masoretic text, others resemble the Hebrew underlying the Greek Septuagint; yet others recall the Samaritan Torah... Some Qumran fragments represent a mixture of these, or something completely different.
The implication seems to be that Qumran blows a hole in the idea that the Hebrew text has been passed down unaltered over the centuries, but not necessarily that the Septuagint is more reliable.

--------------------
Spong

The needs of our neighbours are the needs of the whole human family. Let's respond just as we do when our immediate family is in need or trouble. Rowan Williams

Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

- Posted      Profile for Caver   Email Caver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other reasoning behind the Bible being refered to as the 'Word of God' relates to the idea of the Bible being divinely inspired in the sense of being inerrant. The Word of God does not return to God unfulfiled (Isaiah 55:10-11) and results in action (Genesis 1). If you see the Bible as directly originating with God, then like the 'Word of God', reading the Bible must have the same effect, namely of never being wasted and having powerful effects.

As for the question of whether some people still believe the KJV to be divinely inspired, Ian Paisley in an article (Reasons why Evangelicals should not use the New International Version of the Bible) on why the NIV should not be used concludes:
quote:
Let us cast aside these faulty tools and take hold of the tried and trusted translation of the Scriptures. Let us return to the old path and stand foursquare upon the Authorised Version of the Bible.
Likewise his book "My plea for the old sword: The English Authorised Version" is summarised on his website by:
quote:
In this book Dr. Paisley slays the idea that the Authorized Version is outdated, outmoded, mistranslated and a relic of the past. No other translation is comparable in its faithfulness, as majestic in its language or as inexhaustible in its spiritual fruitfulness.
Or you could have the following:
quote:
Those who use the Authorized Version are looked down upon by the apologists for the NIV as ignoramuses, who do not understand the Hebrew and the Greek and therefore are in no position to judge. Unable to answer the arguments of the defenders of the Authorized Version, they turn to pouring scorn on their scholarship or lack of scholarship.
Sorry that admittedly is a little heavy handed, but I think it answers the question.
Posts: 104 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
pepper

Ship's doubloon
# 3895

- Posted      Profile for pepper   Email pepper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Anslem - thanks for explaining:

quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
<snip>..basically the Bible refers to itself as the ‘word of God’.
For example, in Mark 7:13 Jesus understands the OT to be the word of God.
For Moses said, 'Honour your father and your mother'; and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.' [11] But you say, ..<snip>.. thus making void the word of God by your tradition..

and
quote:
Also posted by Anselm:
In the same way the teaching of the apostles is also understood as the word of God ..<snip>.. Acts 6:2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables."

Although i still have questions regarding the meaning of the word "word / Word", and the church-historical use of the phrase "Word of God = Bible", i think perhaps they should not be splattered forth here.
Therefore, i prescribe myself a Time of Thinking About This, lest i derail the thread, and may return to it in due course. Or second course. Or pudding.

See you!

[tidied up quotes]

[ 10. May 2003, 07:31: Message edited by: babybear ]

pepper

Ship's doubloon
# 3895

i may also be interested in the ship-historical use of the phrase "pepper = code cretin". [brick wall]
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

quote:
Originally posted by Caver:
As for the question of whether some people still believe the KJV to be divinely inspired, Ian Paisley in an article (Reasons why Evangelicals should not use the New International Version of the Bible) on why the NIV should not be used concludes:
quote:
Let us cast aside these faulty tools and take hold of the tried and trusted translation of the Scriptures. Let us return to the old path and stand foursquare upon the Authorised Version of the Bible.

Sorry that admittedly is a little heavy handed, but I think it answers the question.

The quotes you provided seem to indicate he feels the NIV is not a good translation, and the KJV is a good translation, but I don't see evidence he believes the KJV is God-inspired in the same sense as the original texts were. Someone could say those things if they just believed the KJV was simply a more accurate translation on purely scholarly grounds.

Kevin

--------------------

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No translation of the Bible is inspired.

Every translation of the Bible is inspired.

I like this, Spong, and I understand and agree. Every translation is inspired in that it is God's Word being translated. However, the translation itself is not inspired as it comes from the hand of man, only the text and/or context that has come from God.

quote:
The quotes you provided seem to indicate he feels the NIV is not a good translation, and the KJV is a good translation, but I don't see evidence he believes the KJV is God-inspired in the same sense as the original texts were. Someone could say those things if they just believed the KJV was simply a more accurate translation on purely scholarly grounds.

I think this is a "bingo" and how many people feel. The longevity of the KJV almost leads one to believe it does has some "seal of approval" from God, although most all know now that there is man-made phraseology and other discrepancies that are better addressed in later translations.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think much depends on the passage you are reading and why. For the Pauline epistles I readily concede (albeit unwillingly) that the modern translations are best from an intelligibility point of view. However, there are some passages in the Bible such as the first chapter of St John's Gospel which really must be read from the Authorised Version if you are to grasp the full beauty of them.

[Wink]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the OP regarding the LXX - Spong wrote
quote:
The implication seems to be that Qumran blows a hole in the idea that the Hebrew text has been passed down unaltered over the centuries, but not necessarily that the Septuagint is more reliable.
I see the point (though in all honesty the point about variability was suspected already from other sources). However - given the translation of the LXX as a corporate action, and its early date, I would have thought it difficult not to avoid giving it a high level of credibility in both its proximity to sources and internal consistency, which latter point I have seen commented on a couple of times recently.

There is of course the separate suggestion that the masoretes may have also been involved in a tidying-up operation, not in any sense an attempt to change the meaning of the text, but to remove ambiguities which, for all we know, may have been intended.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G.R.I.T.S.:
[QUOTE]The longevity of the KJV almost leads one to believe it does has some "seal of approval" from God, although most all know now that there is man-made phraseology and other discrepancies that are better addressed in later translations.

My horribly logical mind thinks it has more to do with the fact it was the first English language translation done after the massive linguistic changes of the middle/early modern English periods. A translation done 100 years earlier would have been incomprehensible by about the eighteenth or even the seventeenth centuries; the relative stasis of the English language between Stuart times and today is largely responsible IMV.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
... However, there are some passages in the Bible such as the first chapter of St John's Gospel which really must be read from the Authorised Version if you are to grasp the full beauty of them.
[Wink]

I love the Psalms and I enjoy John's Gospel. But, the beauty of a passage is not completely dependent upon translation.

As society's ideas of beauty change, our expectations of what should be included in a beautiful translation change. Many people now see beauty in complex structures, in spider like tangents followed down numerous paths, in profound answers to simplistic riddles, in mathematical equations.

The classical and neo-classical poetic vision has a hold upon our society but...Beckett calls too, as does Pinter;heck, even mystery novels have affected how we see literature and how we enjoy it.

If the beauty of the poetry, as presented by the authorised version, is what makes a translation divine, then we are placing the beauty of the divine in a box.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

quote:
Originally posted by IanB:
However - given the translation of the LXX as a corporate action, and its early date, I would have thought it difficult not to avoid giving it a high level of credibility in both its proximity to sources and internal consistency, which latter point I have seen commented on a couple of times recently.

I, equally, see the force of this too, but I'm not sure it follows. Aren't you retrojecting a 21st C translation assumption about how sources would be weighed etc? I know far too little about the LXX process, but I wasn't aware that we have any really clear view of how they approached their task? The very fact that they were translating into Greek might say something about the audience it was aimed at and the underlying assumptions that it had, for example.

And isn't there also an issue here about imposing a 'received text' when there might not have been one? If the evidence is of a diverse set of sources beforehand, the imposition of a fixed version, albeit in translation, might tend to set things in stone.

In fact, the KJV is perhaps a good illustration of this. Not only do people instinctively revert to the phrasing of it, you get people who insist that texts which were in it - 1 John 5:7 for example - are genuine even when later evidence shows the text to be incorrect.

--------------------
Spong

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spong's questions raise some interesting points. Taking them one at a time -
quote:
Aren't you retrojecting a 21st C translation assumption about how sources would be weighed etc?
I don't think so, though always acknowledging it's difficult to avoid looking through the lens of one's own age. I'm not really thinking of source selection, rather just taking the standard position that where linear scribal tradition is involved, the more scribal errors, the more likely a source is to be later, and then turning that one round.

Which sort of leads me to your second question concerning possible multiple sources. I'm not sure this can be answered easily. The OT certainly bears evidence of multiple sources in some places, but I think the concensus of opinion at present seems to be that some of these identifications are unlikely to be due to multiple sources, but rather present evidence for the use of duplets etc. - a relic of the stage of their oral transmission. However - each of the communities we are taking about (eg - Qumran, Alexandria, Babylon...) would have had their own working set of writings. The Law, the prophets, the "writings". To talk about a canon pre-Jamnia makes no sense - no doubt there was a constellation of writings which were shared between the groups, and the law and the prophets would be in that category. Others - such as the books of Maccabees, may have been widely known, whereas there would be others that were pretty well local.

What are we to say from here? Is there any scholarly view that answers this problem? One scenario I could imagine would be analogous to the position of the synoptic gospels in the NT - each represents the memory and to some extent the thoughts of the different people in their communities, but they have the same point of reference - in this case the life death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. That might explain the variability in the different OT scrolls, but I'm inclined to doubt it. For a start, if the (Alexandrian) LXX is pretty close to the (ultra-Jewish) Qumran scrolls, where does that leave the Masoretic text - presumably the inheritance of the Pharisees? Was it perhaps altered later in response to certain Christian claims on specific interpretations of it (as has been asserted)?

Sorry this is a bit meandering - I guess the point I am trying to make is that I am prepared to believe that some documents may have had their origins in the memories and oral traditions of separate groups - if so that might explain some of the differences. But a necessary precondition would be to show that those groups had a continuity in which those documents could have been propagated, and I am far from certain that has ever been demonstrated.

Moreover, whatever we say about those divergences, there are still some books that it is very difficult to see could have started other than through the writings of one man - e.g. Jeremiah. (I will grant you the difficulties over, say Isaiah). And any books closely associated with temple-worship would most likely have a strong unifying influence, both internal and externally applied - I am thinking of the Psalms for example.

It seems to me that the thesis that there may not have been single sources for the OT books introduces more problems of its own than it solves.

Incidentally, all this is half-remembered stuff, so if anyone can quote better, please do so! I would be interested.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Sorry - when I said
quote:
the thesis that there may not have been single sources for the OT books
I mean certain OT books.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl Liberal-Backslider said:

quote:
My horribly logical mind thinks it has more to do with the fact it was the first English language translation done after the massive linguistic changes of the middle/early modern English periods. A translation done 100 years earlier would have been incomprehensible by about the eighteenth or even the seventeenth centuries; the relative stasis of the English language between Stuart times and today is largely responsible IMV.

Excuse me but I don't think so. The Psalter in the English Prayer Book is taken from Miles Coverdale's Great Bible of 1539. It is admittedly a far better and vastly better translation than that in the KJV. In Psalm 8, for example, it uses 'O Lord our Governor' - far better than the dull and unimaginative 'O Lord our Lord' of the KJV. Similarly the Psalm 23 in the older version reminds me that the 'The Lord is my Shepherd : therefore can I lack nothing not 'I shall not want' which as a youngster in my pre-BCP days, always baffled me.

Unfortunately the Great Bible itself appears not to be in print which is a pity. Arrgh!
[Snore] [Embarrassed] [Razz] [Smile]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote from Adrian 1
quote:

Unfortunately the Great Bible itself appears not to be in print which is a pity.

I think that someone said a few months ago that it was available. I don't remember any details of who said it and when. (Big help, aren't I?)

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of England's Common Worship psalter has reverted to "O Lord our Governor", which may be imaginative, and may have sounded good in the 16th century, but sounds downright odd today.
Awright, guv'nor?

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

IanB - Ok, ISTM that there is a distinction between different 'canons' (with deliberate quote marks) and different versions of the SAME book. The point I was trying to get at is that the Masoretic text is claimed to be the one true only etc, handed down from scribe to scribe carefully checked and cross referenced. Qumaran seems to show that didn't happen. The fact that the LXX seems sometimes to match Qumran rather than the Masoretic text suggests that the LXX can't be dismissed as 'just a flawed Greek translation of a perfect Hebrew original' but the fact that it doesn't ALWAYS match suggests that there might be other variants out there - ie that the LXX and Masoretic text have acted as a funnel of a wide range of readings.

But I, too, am regurgitating half-remembered stuff, so I had a look at my New Jerome Biblical Commentary - I'm not sure I follow all of it, but the conclusion is that before the 2nd C AD the evidence shows 'a relative fluidity of text that varied in degree from one book of the OT to another'. After the 2nd C it is fairly fixed,

--------------------
Spong

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
In Psalm 8, for example, it uses 'O Lord our Governor' - far better than the dull and unimaginative 'O Lord our Lord' of the KJV.

Except the Book of Psalms is poetry, and "O Lord our Lord" is excellent poetry, whereas "O Lord our Governor," as poetry, sucks.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

Maybe I can get to the main point of my original post by taking a special case: the Septuagint.

We are not certain that the Masoretic Text exactly matches the original Hebrew text (the autograph). In fact, there are good reasons to have a few suspicions about it, including the Septuagint and Dead Sea Scrolls. That's not the point I was trying to discuss.

The point I was trying to discuss is whether the case could be made that the original autograph is not the only text that is normative at all. In other words, suppose by some dint of hard work and careful study, and probably some more archaeological finds, we could be somewhat confident about the original text of the Hebrew Bible. Suppose we see a place where the LXX differs from it in some significant theological way. Could the case be made that we should view the LXX text as normative, even though it is not the original?

The case might go like this: what was accepted into the canon was not the newly-discovered original text but the LXX. And God's Spirit was not only involved in the creation of the original text but the particular way it came to be known to His Church. And the result of that is the LXX.

This could be compounded if the verse was quoted in the NT using the LXX. But I don't want to let you off the hook with "well, it's in the NT so it's in God's inspired Word there" so let's say it is NOT a verse quoted in the NT.

Kevin

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Case made based on what? This is the teaching of the Orthodox Church, plain and simple. Where the LXX is "wrong" it is definitively "wrong." I believe you will find attestations by the early Fathers to that effect. Is that case enough? What sort of case do you want?

Confused in Seattle,
Reader Alexis

--------------------

Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Case made based on what? This is the teaching of the Orthodox Church, plain and simple. Where the LXX is "wrong" it is definitively "wrong." I believe you will find attestations by the early Fathers to that effect. Is that case enough? What sort of case do you want?

Confused in Seattle,
Reader Alexis

I'm also confused by a few words in your reply. "This is the teaching of the Orthodox Church" I take to mean that the Orthodox teaches the very hypothesis I raised: that where the LXX differs from the Masoretic text or even the original Hebrew text (if we somehow knew what that looked like), the LXX should be taken to be correct. Then you say where the LXX is wrong, it's wrong. That leads me to conclude you are saying the exact opposite. [Confused] Which are you saying?

I gave the rough outline of how the LXX reading might be preferable to the Hebrew reading (even if it was not suspected the LXX reading is the original one), to tease out a more fleshed-out argument. Since it's not a view I personally subscribe to (but might be convinced of) I was hoping for an explanation from someone who felt that way.

Kevin

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm sorry -- where the LXX mistranslates the Hebrew original, the mistranslation is correct and the original is flawed. I put "wrong" in scare-quotes but I wasn't clear enough what I meant.

Apologies.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Just as well you clarified it, Mousethief - I thought your original post meant the exact opposite!

I would be interested in the argument why that is - I am presuming that it is because the LXX seemed to be regarded so definitively by witness of the gospels and the early church combined? Not trying to put you on the spot, but purely out of interest, can you quote any of the fathers on that one? It would be interesting to know what they said.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My patristics is lousy; I'm afraid I can't oblige you with specific quotes. But I can do a light tap-dance over the history of the thing, to wit:

The LXX was the Bible of the very young church (as well as all of Greek-speaking Judaism), and when the Council of Jamnia (a Rabbinic shindig) jettisoned it and started what eventually became known as the Masoretic Text, the Church latched onto it even more firmly.

It wasn't until Jerome that the Hebrew was translated by Christians for Christian use (into Latin of course). Thus started a split that eventually came down to us today, where those books for which Jerome couldn't discover Hebrew originals were deemed of lesser importance than those he could (Hebrew originals of some of those books have turned up since Jerome's day, ironically enough), and eventually they were discarded wholesale by the Reformation.

In the East, never having had any OT but the LXX, the differences between what (say) the Russians use and the Greeks use for the OT are as minor as the differences between extant "versions" (if you will) of the LXX (textual bloodlines so to speak), and the whole rafter of "deuterocanonicals" (the RCC term) or "apocrypha" (the Protestant term) are still firmly ensconced in the OT.

When the Christians were ejected from the synagogues, and the Rabbis ejected the LXX from synagogal use, that's when the LXX really became "the Church's book" and it has stayed so down to this day, in the East at least.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

Great, Mousethief! So does this mean that the Orthodox Church teaches that there was divine intervention in how the LXX translated the Hebrew, at the points where the two differ (avoiding for now the problem of whether the original Hebrew was the same as the Masoretic text)?

And at the points where the Hebrew and the LXX differ, does the Orthodox Church hold that both are the inspired word of God, but we use the LXX version as normative for our lives, or that the Hebrew is not the inspired word of God, or what?

Kevin

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

In the East, never having had any OT but the LXX

What about the Syriac?

Or is that supposed to be a translation from Greek, rather than direct from Hebrew?

I only ask because it has been the language used by a significant minority of Eastern Christians since way back & still is by a few (& also by a few Jewish communities I think, such as in Yemen)

And of course it was used by Jesus, as in the last words from the cross we are talking about in the other thread.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

The issue of where the Syriac translation came from is complicated and sometimes debated. We do know that the Syriac Peshitta we have (and which is used by the Aramaic-speaking communities you mention) was a translation from the Greek. We also know that there were other Syriac translations from before that time of parts of the Bible. We have two manuscripts of the Gospels, for instance, (Old Syriac gospels). Tatian's harmony of the gospels in 170 A.D. was translated into Syriac and became popular.

Separately from this, there were Jewish translations of parts of the Old Testament into Aramaic called Targums.

It is expected that many of the stories of Jesus survived in oral traditions within the Aramaic-speaking church. It is also possible that other scriptures were translated and used in liturgy.

The question is how much of all of this influenced the Syriac Peshitta or the Old Syriac gospels.

The times I've spoken with members of those churches (I know of 4 different churches but I only know people in 2) my impression is they feel their Syriac N.T. text is superior to the Greek N.T. but I'm not sure of their reasons for feeling that way. I'd imagine it's partly because Jesus spoke Aramaic and the first church was Aramaic-speaking.

Not sure about their attitude toward the O.T. vs. the Hebrew, though.

Interestingly, the Syriac Bible I have has a separate section for the Apocrypha. Not sure whether this is true of all Syriac Bibles. And not sure if this is seen as at all significant in their community.

Kevin

--------------------

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So does this mean that the Orthodox Church teaches that there was divine intervention in how the LXX translated the Hebrew, at the points where the two differ...?

And at the points where the Hebrew and the LXX differ, does the Orthodox Church hold that both are the inspired word of God...?

So far as I know, the LXX is the inspired OT of the Orthodox Church, and even if any differences between LXX and Hebrew are considered to be changes in the LXX that weren't in the original Hebrew, these changes are equally considered inspired.

Another interesting point is the Deuterocanonical Books (i.e. the Apocrypha). I've seen various opinions on this, from the DB being full and equal parts of the OT to them being accorded a secondary status, read for instruction but not quite Scripture. I lean toward the "full and equal part of the canon" status for two reasons:

(1) Many of the criticisms of the Apocrypha would also invalidate other parts of Scripture, from lack of authorship attribution to apparently fantastic (i.e. unbelievable) stories.

(2) I think the case for the NT writers using the LXX is much stronger than I was led to believe previously; I've also noticed that in historical Jesus studies (by N.T. Wright, for instance) the LXX is a strong source for understanding the mindset of first-century Jews and Jewish Christians.
[Votive]

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
In the East, never having had any OT but the LXX
------------------------------------------------
What about the Syriac?

Oops. [Embarrassed] Well, MOST of the East never had any OT but the LXX. [Big Grin]

Reader Alexis

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I digress from the LXX debate and go back to post 2 (Sorry, only just found this thread)

quote:
Originally posted by golden key:
Hmmm. I grew up in a very conservative church. The original manuscripts were believed to have been basically dictated by God. But I never heard of any translation considered that way, not even KJV.

I've always had problems with the 'dictated' school of Biblical inspiration, especially those parts where the auther states it wasn't a dictation. Luke says his Gospel is a compilation; Paul says that part of 1 Corinthians are instructions from himself not God, (though the rest of the letter is from God!) John, in Revelation, was told to write what he saw (not heard).

Please, I'm not trolling, I know people will acuse me of apostacy for saying this, I have been told I'm giong to Hell (not the board) for this many times. I do believe the Bible is inspired by God, its just that I believe God inspired the different writers in different ways.

Back to the LXX, the introduction to the NRSV states that the LXX was translated from earlier manuscripts than the Hebrew texts we have available and can, generally, be taken as more acurate.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam's Asteroid:
I've always had problems with the 'dictated' school of Biblical inspiration, especially those parts where the auther states it wasn't a dictation. Luke says his Gospel is a compilation; Paul says that part of 1 Corinthians are instructions from himself not God, (though the rest of the letter is from God!) John, in Revelation, was told to write what he saw (not heard).

Please, I'm not trolling, I know people will acuse me of apostacy for saying this, I have been told I'm giong to Hell (not the board) for this many times. I do believe the Bible is inspired by God, its just that I believe God inspired the different writers in different ways.

I think there are not many here who would call this apostasy. If it is apostasy, the ship is overrun with apostates.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam's Asteroid:
Back to the LXX, the introduction to the NRSV states that the LXX was translated from earlier manuscripts than the Hebrew texts we have available and can, generally, be taken as more acurate.

Hm... "generally", huh? True, there are many passages where people have made convincing arguments that the LXX preserves a text that the Hebrew Masoretic text has in error (or at least is an innovation on). But there are also many passages (much more I think) where the reverse is more commonly accepted.

So the NRSV introduction seems to take an unusual stance on this, perhaps from a theological perspective of preferring the LXX.

I should note that the NT most often uses the LXX, sometimes in situations where the Masoretic text differs. There are some passages in the NT where the LXX is not used, but not many (actually, so I've been told; I haven't done the study myself. If someone has or has a reference, I'd like to know).

As to whether the nature of "inspiration" is uniform, I tend to agree with you, though I would be hesitant to map out the Bible in that way, given how little information we are given in scripture to guide us on that topic.

Kevin

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
True, there are many passages where people have made convincing arguments that the LXX preserves a text that the Hebrew Masoretic text has in error (or at least is an innovation on). But there are also many passages (much more I think) where the reverse is more commonly accepted.

Kevin, can you steer us to any books/articles/websites that talk about this sort of thing in a way that your average layman (well, me) can understand? I love this kind of stuff. [Cool]

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Kevin Iga
Shipmate
# 4396

Two books I am reading now (but I'm still making my way through) are

"Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible" by Emmanuel Tov

and

"Invitation to the Septuagint" by Karen Jobes and Moises Silva.

I've heard statements about differences between the LXX and Masoretic text esp. as it lines up with the Dead Sea Scrolls and Targums in various overviews of textual issues before, but I don't remember where. Probably all of it is subsumed in the above references.

One way to do this is to do it yourself (I haven't done this yet) by going through an OT with a critical apparatus, like Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensis (Hebrew text with textual critical apparatus including LXX).

Kevin

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ooo! Ooo! I actually have that Introducing the LXX book you mention -- I bought it about a month ago and haven't opened it yet. I shall have to move it further up in my "to read" pile.

I have a heck of a time with the footnotes in the BHS. Doctor Mallon (my Hebrew professor at university) tried to teach us to use them but that was years and years ago. If I can struggle through a sentence with my BDB at my elbow it's almost more than I can do. I have the LXX in the two-volume edition and can choke my way through it with this critical LXX lexicon I got at a bible book store that was clearing out of all non-fluff books (harsh I know but if the shoe fitteth...) but my Greek is even worse than my Hebrew.

If wishes were fishes I'd take night classes in both languages and get to the level of proficiency I'd like to be at. Sigh. Maybe someday when the kids are out of the house.....

Reader Alexis

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sorry; should read "Invitation to the LXX" not "Introducing the LXX." Like I said, I bought it and then it got stuck in the "to read" pile....

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016