homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: That madcap census in Luke 2 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: That madcap census in Luke 2
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do believe that this may be the longest ever Kerygmania thread. However, I'm not sure whether champagne or vinegar is called for.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

- Posted      Profile for Glenn Oldham   Author's homepage   Email Glenn Oldham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Glenn, I'm sincerely sorry for the part I played in wrecking your thread.

Thank you for wrecking it in an interesting fashion! [Smile]

Going back to my opening post, it seems, however, that no-one here on Ship of Fools knows where Mark Greene of the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity gets his evidence for that view that it was ‘imperial practice’ for the Romans to require ‘the population to register in their birth places’ when a census was taken.

I'll just have to see if I can ask him.

Glenn

Posts: 910 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
theMadFarmer
SOCKPUPPET
# 4252

- Posted      Profile for theMadFarmer   Email theMadFarmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The same goes for me; I'm not used to the posting culture of the Ship yet - we splinter threads off of threads when they get this tangenetal, I'm guessing?
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theMadFarmer:
I'm not used to the posting culture of the Ship yet - we splinter threads off of threads when they get this tangenetal, I'm guessing?

And we splinter them off onto a different board when appropriate.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theMadFarmer:
quote:
The same goes for me; I'm not used to the posting culture of the Ship yet - we splinter threads off of threads when they get this tangenetal, I'm guessing?
Oh yes - this thread itself is but a spin-off from "That madcap census in Luke", and will be followed by "That madcap census in Luke 3", "Return to David's City", "Little House in the Holy Land", "Son of Man", and "Ariel Resurrection".

Meanwhile, I still think it is a symbolic Jubilee and what's more I'm right. So there.

Whether or not that implies that Joseph actually traveeled to Bethlehem or that Luke (AKA "Son of Redactor of the 3rd Gospel") talked to eyewitnesses of such a thing is another matter (& one I suspect that we will never have convincing evidence for or against on this earth)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds to me as though we are ready to concede that Luke is divine revelation from the mouth of God. Period. The end. [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luke is indeed divine revelation from the mouth of God.

And he got the details of the census wrong. It is possible to believe both of these at once (without even being the Red Queen.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
It is possible to believe both of these at once (without even being the Red Queen.)

I actually agree. [Wink]

It's just that very often we seem to have a choice between two plausible alternatives involving the historicity of a passage. While I firmly believe that it is the message, not the literal accuracy, that is important, my prejudice would be to accept the literal accuracy unless there is good reason not to.

In this case I see no compelling reason to dismiss the census. The unanswered questions are what you would expect 2,000 years after the fact. I also think that it doesn't really matter - unless you jump from "this may not have happened" to "none of it may have happened" to "there is no God." But who would be stupid enough to make those kinds of leaps? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarah Dylan Breuer
Apprentice
# 3169

- Posted      Profile for Sarah Dylan Breuer   Author's homepage   Email Sarah Dylan Breuer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With respect to Luke concern for "historical accuracy," it might be useful to compare Thucydides' approach. Thucydides both presented himself as seeking to write a complete and accurate history (he is often called, misleadingly IMO, the "father of scientific history") and said quite clearly that communicating the "truth" of the situation meant imagining details, speeches, or entire episodes.

The truth that Luke was most interested in communicating was theological and christological rather than historical. Luke felt free to play with the chronology, wording, and details he found in his sources (compare Luke to Mark, which Luke most probably used as a source, and you'll see lots of examples) to get across his most important points, which were about who Jesus is, what Jesus did, and what Luke's community ought to do in response.

Blessings,

Dylan

--------------------
_ ______________ _
Sarah Dylan Breuer

Posts: 6 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found another reference to a census in the New Testament. I have no way of telling whether this is the same as the one referred to in Luke.

The context is Gamaliel's address to the council in Acts 5. Here is Acts 5:37;

After him Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got people to follow him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered.

There seem to have been censuses of some sort in Palestine in the first century AD.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That'd be the census of AD 6.

BTW, there may be evidence that client kingdoms were subjective to enrollment, but the text I have is frustratingly without a bibliography, so I'll need to do some more work.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Dylan. Welcome to SOF and Kerygmania. Anyone who chooses this board for their first post has to worth talking to (away with your everlasting sentences and other such fluff).

quote:
Originally posted by S. Dylan Breuer:

The truth that Luke was most interested in communicating was theological and christological rather than historical. Luke felt free to play with the chronology, wording, and details he found in his sources (compare Luke to Mark, which Luke most probably used as a source, and you'll see lots of examples) to get across his most important points, which were about who Jesus is, what Jesus did, and what Luke's community ought to do in response.

Do you think that "theological/christological" is necessarily incompatible with "historical"? Obviously Luke applied his own style and wording to the material, but that doesn't necessarily make it historically inaccurate or unreliable.

I am interested in your comparison with a classical writer. Do you think that the aims and priorities of the Gospel writers are really analagous to classical historians like Thucydides?

(Thucydides?? crazy name, crazy guy...)

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

- Posted      Profile for Glenn Oldham   Author's homepage   Email Glenn Oldham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Oldham:
Going back to my opening post, it seems ... that no-one here on Ship of Fools knows where Mark Greene of the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity gets his evidence for that view that it was ‘imperial practice’ for the Romans to require ‘the population to register in their birth places’ when a census was taken.

I'll just have to see if I can ask him.

Glenn

I emailed him but got no reply - which is not surprising given the amount of junk email flying around these days. I probably just got deleted unopened. Ah well. Thanks for everyone's comments!

Glenn

Posts: 910 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

<bump>

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why bump?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Fermat posted this on a thread in Purgatory. I referred him to this thread and bumped it to make it easy to find.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016