homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Calling Erin to Hell (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Calling Erin to Hell
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

- Posted      Profile for JohnBoot   Email JohnBoot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Rook, you're very kind to explain in painful detail - at length - what you meant to say in your previous post.
Posts: 789 | From: Detroit | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook and Norman: No. Belisaurius started the "augar" thread in Styx, not me. I haven't started a Styx thread in a long time.

Papio: At the beginning of this thread I said "Papio comes to mind". For this great insult you have posted three or four long outraged posts calling me names and expressing complete bewilderment over why I would pick on you this way. Have you forgotten a very, very long post about how awful I was on the "Virtual Rape" thread? Don't you remember the alphabet theme? (If aABCDEFG are posting and Sasha comes along she ruins everything, she contributes nothing to the ship blah blah, on and on for about four paragraphs?) I didn't even know who you were. Later you went on Rook's "apology" thread in Styx and apologized for upsetting Holly and others but reiterated that you stood by everything you had said about me. Talk about attacking someone you don't know. Chive did something similar on the Styx thread. I never say a word against anyone who hasn't attacked me first. Around that same time, I had PM'd Sine thanking him for all the times he has made me laugh and that same day he said on the board that he "just wanted to slap" me. Anselmina once picked me apart on the "Babybear vs Twilight" thread in such detail it went on for about 100 words. I had never heard of her before.

In short, Papio, I may carry a long grudge but I do not start things. So just cut out the "Why is she picking on US?" whining. "K"?

NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Rook and Norman: No. Belisaurius started the "augar" thread in Styx, not me. I haven't started a Styx thread in a long time.

Yes you have. It was called "The Purpose of Styx". Shockingly, it was you having a whinge about the admins and hosts. Who would have guessed it, eh?

And if we're talking about spelling, it's "Auger".

[ 06. April 2004, 21:40: Message edited by: Norman the Organ ]

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing like holding a grudge is there? [Eek!]

Sasha, you remind me of my ex - 'And then there was that time 2 years ago when you didn't put the laundry out and it rained.'

[And i criticise other's spelling?]

[ 06. April 2004, 21:42: Message edited by: chive ]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnboot when you say 'previous post' are you being offensive to postmen (or posties) and saying they deliver the post late?

{damn people posting to quickly}

[ 06. April 2004, 21:43: Message edited by: Níghtlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

- Posted      Profile for JohnBoot   Email JohnBoot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Nightlamp,

I read your post a number of times and failed to understand it. Could you perhaps follow the excellent example of Mr. Rook and make another, longer post explaining what you were trying to say?

(Mr.) JohnBoot

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoot:
Ah, Ms. Anselmina, it is kind of you to weigh in.

Ah, Master Boot. Yes, I know it was kind. I'm a very kind person [Biased] .

quote:
A short post, but might I make a suggestion? Avoid clumsy adverbs. Yes, "spookily" is the adverbial form of "spooky", and yes, you should be able to use it, but it trips "clumsily" off the tongue.

It's not fair, but we're trapped within the language we use.

Of course you may make a suggestion. I shall of course ignore it. But in the classic self-sacrificial style of 'if he's wasting time on me, he's at least not boring the tits off some other poor unfortunate' - suggest away!

Now. Here's a dilemma. Should I avoid clumsy adverbs as suggested by someone whose opinion I value almost as much as I'd value root-canal surgery without anaesthetic? Em. Guess that would have to be a 'no', then [Razz] .

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Papio: At the beginning of this thread I said "Papio comes to mind". For this great insult you have posted three or four long outraged posts calling me names and expressing complete bewilderment over why I would pick on you this way. Have you forgotten a very, very long post about how awful I was on the "Virtual Rape" thread? Don't you remember the alphabet theme? (If aABCDEFG are posting and Sasha comes along she ruins everything, she contributes nothing to the ship blah blah, on and on for about four paragraphs?) I didn't even know who you were. Later you went on Rook's "apology" thread in Styx and apologized for upsetting Holly and others but reiterated that you stood by everything you had said about me. Talk about attacking someone you don't know. Chive did something similar on the Styx thread. I never say a word against anyone who hasn't attacked me first. Around that same time, I had PM'd Sine thanking him for all the times he has made me laugh and that same day he said on the board that he "just wanted to slap" me. Anselmina once picked me apart on the "Babybear vs Twilight" thread in such detail it went on for about 100 words. I had never heard of her before.

In short, Papio, I may carry a long grudge but I do not start things. So just cut out the "Why is she picking on US?" whining. "K"?

I wasn't whining. I was pointing out your hypocrisy. There's a difference - which you clearly can't see because you have sooooo totally missed my point.

[ 06. April 2004, 21:50: Message edited by: Papio* ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So just cut out the "Why is she picking on US?" whining. "K"?

I've just spotted this bit.

[Eek!] [Killing me]

I never thought I'd see the day that you told someone else to stop whining about being picked on! Blimey... the irony!

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ancient Mariner's latest article

Erin smiling

Simon actually doing something!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did I mention that I...yes, I reckon I did.

But as someone suggested earlier, I really do think this thread should be pay per view. Especially when chive shows her tits. Well, not for me maybe, but some of the other gentlemen.

Plus it's got all the things we value about the ship. Unrestful Christians (and WooKie) hurling abuse at one another.

Life is good.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply 'Normous:
But as someone suggested earlier, I really do think this thread should be pay per view. Especially when chive shows her tits. Well, not for me maybe, but some of the other gentlemen.

Not to mention one or two of the ladies...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Papio: At the beginning of this thread I said "Papio comes to mind".
<snip>
In short, Papio...I do not start things.

The emphasis on "beginning" is mine.

Can we try this again?

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Around that same time, I had PM'd Sine thanking him for all the times he has made me laugh and that same day he said on the board that he "just wanted to slap" me.

Honey, you can't have gotten through life without realizing that you can be a little...uh, annoying, have you? Oh, surely not. Here's a little IRL test. Just out of nowhere, in a cheerful, non-threatening, voice, ask Mr. Twilight "Darling, just curious, but have you ever just wanted to slap me?" Please report back to us. I'm sure we'd all be interested in the answer.

Now, as to your PM.

My first thought was "Oh, that's sweet. How nice of her."

Second thought: "She's trying to manipulate me privately so I'll pull my punches publicly."

I've got very sensitive antennae for manipulation. (Have you met my late mother?) Now you may not have meant it that way, but having only your public posting to judge you by, I went with your public persona and thought "By God, I'm not going to fall for that. Oldest trick in the book.

Besides, I get PM's from adoring shipmates all the time saying how witty and clever they think I am. They are only exceeded by the ones saying they're tired of my idiotic one-liners and to get a life and get the hell off the boards.

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess if a person uses language like this as a child, and the person's parents do not make the proper correction, that person grows up and thinks that this is appropriate language. I blame the parents.

I hope you realize that the title "King Retard" was Erin's brainchild, not mine. I have only been parroting the title, because I think it's funny. Even though I have to admit I enjoy saying the word "retard", I would probably never actually call someone (other than a really close friend... or my brother) that name.

I take Offense in the Style of JohnBoot to your obvious and intentional slur on my upbringing, as well as my parentage.

I apologize in the Style of Sine Nomine if you thought I had initially called you a retard.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Besides, I get PM's from adoring shipmates all the time saying how witty and clever they think I am. They are only exceeded by the ones saying they're tired of my idiotic one-liners and to get a life and get the hell off the boards.

Isn't that odd. Here I was appreciating Siné as a regular contributor because his posts make mine look just that much cleverer by the stark, glaring contrast.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
I apologize in the Style of Sine Nomine if you thought I had initially called you a retard.

But Grits, you know perfectly well I'll apologize for anything without really meaning it.

...Oh yeah. Right. You do know that, don't you?

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Here I was appreciating Siné as a regular contributor because his posts make mine look just that much cleverer by the stark, glaring contrast.

Right. Like the plain girl who makes her two ugly friends go out with her on Saturday night.
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

quote:
I hope you realize that the title "King Retard" was Erin's brainchild, not mine. I have only been parroting the title, because I think it's funny. Even though I have to admit I enjoy saying the word "retard", I would probably never actually call someone (other than a really close friend... or my brother) that name.

Ah, the she did it first defense.

I kind of like the line "I have only been parroting the title...".

JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

quote:
Even though I have to admit I enjoy saying the word "retard", I would probably never actually call someone (other than a really close friend... or my brother) that name.

Why did you call me a "retard" then?

Why would an adult use such a word?

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cause you hate like one.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why did you call me a "retard" then?

(In hushed tones:)
I suspect that Grits foolishly doesn't take an internet discussion board seriously enough, and we try not to bother the poor old dear, bless her heart.

quote:
Well, there is the possibility that you're a drooling retard with brain function not dissimilar from an over-cooked brussel sprout.

[Damn you, Duchess.]

[ 06. April 2004, 23:04: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:

RETARD! RETARD! RETARD!

Ah, I feel better now. Think I'll go read some of Lord Chesterfield's letters to his son. Such excellent advice on how to be a gentleman.

JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

Good idea, Sine. Read carefully.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Good idea, Sine. Read carefully.

As I'm sure you know*, his son was a bastard and the Earl himself a cynic. Appearance was all.

(*Or maybe not, the Earl being English.)

Ronist
Shipmate
# 5343

- Posted      Profile for Ronist   Email Ronist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess of delights:
Cause you hate like one.

I have never found mentally hadicapped people to be hateful. And I know at least ninety by name.

Or are you defining the word differently?

Posts: 827 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Ronist:
I have never found mentally hadicapped people to be hateful. And I know at least ninety by name.

Or are you defining the word differently?

I'm sorry. This is a pay per post thread. When was the last time you donated to the organ fund?

Have I mentioned...

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ronist, Americans and Canadians mean different things when they say the word "retard".

To answer your question, only a "retard" (American meaning here) could hate with such blindness.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cue Garrison Keillor voice:

"Here is today's vocabulary moment...

'retarded' (pronounced the normal way) = intellectually disadvantaged (or whatever the current PC euphemism is right now)

retard' (pronounced REEEE-tard) = fuckwit."

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program...

[Temporary hellhost's crappy code. Double points?]

[ 06. April 2004, 23:57: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

quote:
Originally posted by duchess of delights:
Ronist, Americans and Canadians mean different things when they say the word "retard".

To answer your question, only a "retard" (American meaning here) could hate with such blindness.

Not in Detroit, Ms. Duchess. It means what the dictionary says it means, not what you want it to mean.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Not in Detroit, Ms. Duchess.

Detroit. That's where they publish the OED isn't it? Ok, well, that puts us all in our place. [Overused]

'Xcuse us.

Ronist
Shipmate
# 5343

- Posted      Profile for Ronist   Email Ronist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea. Actually both Retard and retarded are used in Canada sometimes as a vague insult meaning roughly stupid. Its way on the freaky fringe of politically incorrect.

I just couldn't let "Hate like a retard pass."

I coach for Special Olympics.

Posts: 827 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not in Detroit, Ms. Duchess. It means what the dictionary says it means, not what you want it to mean.

Oh, you mean like these, for example?

quote:
retard (n)
1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

quote:
retard (n) a person of subnormal intelligence [syn: idiot, imbecile, cretin, moron, changeling, half-wit]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Ronist:
I coach for Special Olympics.

Yes, but have you donated to the Organ Fund?

It's easy. Just click on the banner.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Where was that published, Scot? In a reputable city? Or in Detroit?
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea. I try not to frequent reputable cities. Or Detroit.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

This is a good learning opportunity!

What's the difference between making fun of "retards" and making fun of "Detroit"?

We shouldn't make fun of peoples' disabilities. If someone has only one leg, or is suffering the disabilities of old age, or is mentally retarded, it's not that person's fault. It's not nice to make fun of them for things that they cannot control.

But we can make fun of stuff that people do control! If I wear an ugly dress or choose to live in Detroit, it's fair game to make fun of me! Isn't that just so cool!

Normal parents teach their children this, but obviously a number of people on this board had substandard parents. But it is not their fault! So don't make fun of them for their deprived childhoods.

Now, let's boogy!

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And so sayeth JohnBoot (one load his mother should have swallowed).

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
It's not nice to make fun of them for things that they cannot control.

You're right, Johnny. I'm sorry I called you a retard. You can't control it.
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
And so sayeth JohnBoot (one load his mother should have swallowed).

Ah, Ms. Erin! May I make bold to say, in my best Haskellian tones, that you look wonderful! That Spring frock is just charming.

You look one-hundred percent woman!

My gosh, Helen Reddy lyrics are humming between my ears. It truly is Spring.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I have long suspected there is more than one person posting as "JohhBoot".

The quality varies so much. I think he has friends over for cocktails and they take turns...posting, I mean.

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I wear an ugly dress ... it's fair game to make fun of me!

Is Johnny a tranny? Not that there's anything wrong with that... [Big Grin]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I should think not. I personally have always identified very closely with Gloria Swanson.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I personally have always identified very closely with Gloria Swanson.

Come to think of it, has any shipmate ever seen the two of you in the same room at the same time?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ronist, I think jlg spelled it out perfectly. I doubt anyone on these boards would ever call a retarded person a retard. I'm rather disappointed JohnBoot didn't call me on the carpet for it. You got to play your "I coach for Special Olympics" card. I could have played my "My son is in the Special Olympics" card.

Maybe he knew better. Maybe he's not really such a retard...

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Come to think of it, has any shipmate ever seen the two of you in the same room at the same time?

Not since she died.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever seen Remo Williams?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
You got to play your "I coach for Special Olympics" card.

Well, dear, you held off longer than I thought you would. I must admit I was laughing, rather poignantly, at that "accusation" being tossed at you.
Grits
# 4169

The view is always better from the high road, sweetie.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Have you ever seen Remo Williams?

No, but I just Googled it, and judging from the reviews, this question is not to my credit.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016