homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fr. Gregory-
I'm not saying that groups like this can't have value. They can and do. However inexpertly run groups that can easily be hijacked can easily become either tiresome of spiritually abusive.

And Sine, dear, I think you are just the one to hijack yours and subvert it before it becomes "tiresome or spiritually abusive." (Too late? [Paranoid] ) Think of it as your spiritual calling.

[Love]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can do that.

Except my rector can read me like a book.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Hmmm...nuts, marshmallows, and chopped dates...all held together by Jello. Three in one, and one in three.

I think we're on to something here.

But what does the Cool Whip on top represent?

Rats, Kelly Alves best me to the reply. [Mad]

Sine, if you're not going to drop out (because your pastor knows you need something that you will get from this class or whatever it is) and you aren't going to actively subvert it (because your pastor knows you too well and will see through your pseudo-cooperative-but-actually-subversive contributions), I only see two options left:

1. Accept that Pastor Knows Best ™ and meekly continue.

2. Have a public Hissy Fit ™ and storm out of the class, never to be seen again.

I choose #1 and discovered that indeed, that horrible RCIA class met some needs I had, but the downside is that the good memories are forever tinged with all the cringing memories.

#2 would be a lot more fun! That's what my godmother did twice before she finally managed to get through RCIA.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sign, I still think you need to Suck it Up (tm), do the class, subvert it, then invite everybody over to eat Ice Cream with your weird little forks. A few lines:

"You can't be serious."

"No, God never told me to do something like that."

"Do you honestly think God would do something like that?"

"What makes you think the Hand of God was in that? It sure looks like plain stupidity to me."

"No, your daughter didn't get pregnant to Test You. Your daughter got pregnant because she's a Slut, and most likely she's a Slut because you're a bad parent."

"No, I don't think God can forgive that."

"I really don't believe Jesus gives a shit what you drive."

"Well, on balance, you're probably going to hell."

"You're making that up, aren't you?"

"No, I don't think God hates you. He's probably pissed off at what you did, but he'll get over it if you offer him a blood sacrifice of enough of your pets."

"No, God didn't give you cancer. You probably just made bad choices."

"Why should I pray for that? Looks like God has made up His mind, as far as I can tell."

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Rats, Kelly Alves best me to the reply. [Mad]

It was pretty obvious, wasn't it?
[Big Grin]

And as for you tomb...I wish you were my Sunday School teacher when I was a kid.

[ 19. October 2003, 05:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
.... And as for you tomb...I wish you were my Sunday School teacher when I was a kid.

No you don't, honeycakes. You'd be that much more likely to be going to Hell than if you'd never met me.

I gave up teaching Sunday School after that terrible time in adult class when I deconstructed the first chapter of John's Gospel and several people actually believed me.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gotta hand it to you, sugarballs, you got a lot of gumption. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys will be very proud of me. I did an excellent job of sabotaging the Companions in Christ class.

I even brought up sin and repentence, which is like the bastard child at the wedding in an Episcopal Church.

When everyone else was talking about how their friends and family were part of God's grace in their lives, I asked what the difference was between the Methodist view of grace and the Roman Catholic view. And just what was this argument between Catholics and Protestants over works.

At one point our rector said, in a rather stern voice, "Do you have anything else you'd like to add, Sine?" [Big Grin]

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did she really call you "Sine"? That IS amazing.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

No, she called me by my real life diminutive, but in a chilly voice.
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At one point our rector said, in a rather stern voice, "Do you have anything else you'd like to add, Sine?" [Big Grin]

My, she is so accpeting of you and your spiritual journey. I think you have your invite to leave now. [Yipee]

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

It says in the ground rules that it's not group therapy, but it sure felt like it was headed in that direction. The young lady to my right got all teary a couple of times.

And it's not like the rector doesn't have a decent degree in theology, but I think she thought I was getting ahead of the game plan.

This week's topic was "Grace" and I mentioned that being a choir-type I had gone to the cyber-hymnal and printed out a copy of the text of "Amazing Grace" to meditate on during the week.

She said, in a suspicious tone, "Do you have a copy of the moderator's book?"

I said (Duh), "No, it just seemed obvious for a person who's really into to hymns."

It turns out the moderator's book says to open this week's meeting by singing "Amazing Grace". Well, sheesh. Your talking about Grace, for God's sake. How big of a leap is that?

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, you just have to face it: your charming, smartass ways hide a spiritual IQ of about 160. [Cool]

And I'm very proud of you. Give 'em Hell! God, I hate it when people act like your rector- saying that they want you to approach something your own way, then acting like snots when "your way" doesn't please them. [Mad] Give it a rest, Mother Whoever! You don't have to talk like a sacred Hallmark Card™ to be spiritual. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by biscuit:
Spiritual need is the need to have purpose in your life (ie so you are then able to value yourself). It's about seeking something higher or greater than yourself, ie something transcendant, that you can respond to.

Emotional need is the need to know others value you, so that you can respond to them.

A lot of people get 'em mixed up...

Did you make that up or what?

Now. I read it again: That is the biggest heap of horseshit I've come across for some time on the boards. Emotional needs are... wot you need so you feel good. If that means needing to know that others value you, well uh, that's nice. A bit constraining though I would've thought, to have your emotional well-being so intertwined with what others think of you.

And that other bit about spiritual needs... 'spiritual need is the need to have purpose in your life'. So, the things we concern ourselves with spiritually are a response to the need to have purpose in our lives. Where did you get this crap? A Summer School course on Existentialism 101?

And Sine, honey, if the sexuality explorer starts getting fresh, buy him a proctoscope, a miner's lamp and a mirror and tell him to go to it.

[Edit: Apostrophes of ownership in 'others' cramps one's style, I find]

[ 28. October 2003, 09:26: Message edited by: The Coot (Icarus) ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finally read through this thread, and my consolation to Sine is that it could be worse. You could, for instance, have been one of the original Christians and been forced to live with people sharing their feelings 24/7.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
You could, for instance, have been one of the original Christians and been forced to live with people sharing their feelings 24/7.

Actually, the early Christians weren't like that. Sharing one's feelings is a twentieth/twenty-first century fashion.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Yeah, but I bet they stopped when they figured out Jesus wasn't coming back as quickly as they thought.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Sharing one's feelings is a twentieth/twenty-first century fashion.

Well everyone should just stop.right.now.

If one just must express one's innermost thoughts, start a diary and we'll read it after you're dead.

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing this might help in your next therapy-group meeting.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

[Homework Alert!]

Next week we're going to have to chart our unique spiritual journeys in life to date. Since I don't have one, I'll need to borrow someone else's unique spiritual journey.

If you have a really inspiring, touching one, preferably one that I can sniffle a bit as I read it, please pm me the details so I can plagiarize.

[/Homework alert]

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, all my unique spiritual journeys are taken. But I can help with the sniffling bit. Hint Conceal half an onion in your hanky. That should help the spirit move nicely! [Biased]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one for ya, Sine, but it involves a divorce and a cervical cancer scare, so I don't know if they would buy it.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome to my born and raised a third-generation Baha'i, went to a lot of Baptist Vacation Bible Schools and Lutheran services with friends, tried for 30 years to become a full-fledged Buddhist, finally gave in and became Roman Catholic (a daily communicant, no less!) even though I agree more with the Episcopalians, and I'm still hanging around with Baptists, except now it's for handbell ringing instead of VBS.

Further details available upon request, including the touching tale of the time my father and I were having a wonderful, hilarious discussion about how this life might relate to the afterlife and my mother suddenly burst into tears, exclaimed "How can you laugh about such depressing ideas!" and ran from the room.

Oh. Not the kind of tear-jerker you wanted.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I did once almost have a sudden conversion experience, much like Paul on the road to Damascus. I was in a disco in the French Quarter and suddenly a bright light from Heaven shone down upon me. I was somewhat disoriented and it was several seconds before I realized it was the revolving mirrored ball in the ceiling.

Parenthetically, have you ever noticed how much accounts of sudden conversion experiences sound like nervous breakdowns? Saint Augustine's certainly does.

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When everyone else was talking about how their friends and family were part of God's grace in their lives, I asked what the difference was between the Methodist view of grace and the Roman Catholic view. And just what was this argument between Catholics and Protestants over works.

Attaboy! Did anyone else take you up on Reformation politics?

I did have a conversion experience, but it didn't involve nervous breakdowns, mirror balls, nightclubs or bright lights. Would have been rather cool if it had. I had to go to RCIA to work out why I had had it. I am prepared to offer you my spiritual journey, but I fear that it will not be unique.

As for this:
quote:
And now I've just come from choir rehearsal and found out that we're now expected to sing at monthly "alternative" services on Sunday evening. And even our director, who has a high tolerance for touchy-feely smarm, seems a little dismayed by what's on the plate for this Sunday. Which is really, really, scary. It must be bad because he's going to have us sing Rotter's Gaelic Blessing. And we're not going to vest because it would be too "formal".

Brother, I feel your pain,especially as we had to sing Rotter's "A Clare Benediction" recently. We were fabulous and the congregation loved it, but we were cringing inside. (Did you know that Rutter earned two million pounds in royalties last year?)Madame la Directrice would rather we sang naked than not be robed.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Did anyone else take you up on Reformation politics?

No, we got a little distracted when the young, teary woman, who was brought up Baptist, asked what I meant by "Orthodox".

Two million pounds! That's sickening. As Noel Coward once said "It's remarkable how potent cheap music is."

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

I always find a truly moving 'conversion' experience involves you realising that your life was heading down the pan, and crying out to Jay-sus for help. Preferably at night. Alone. Walking somewhere. Perhaps you had been such a mean and selfish person, living only for yourself, and had either driven everyone else away, or you realised that your life was empty.

(Find a B-class 60s sob story film, and plagairise the plot. If your rector recognises it, and calls you on making it all up, then she's smarter than you thought.)

When walking alone, you met with God. Nothing dramatic - rector would know you were lying. Maybe just an awareness of a presence, of love, of light, of a calling that it doesn't have to be this way. How about an acceptance of you, as you are, as you realise how dirty and bad you are? Then some fudge about life having its ups and downs since then, but this unshakeable acceptance of you, just the way you are has never left you. This ending has the added bonus of them not being able to criticize you for being as you are - if God likes you that way, who are they to criticize? [Biased] But you can invent any ending really, just don't go for life being perfect since you got converted. People don't believe that anymore [Frown]

There ya go. Quick and easy conversion story. Make up as much detail as you can carry off without laughing. And, if you are a bit vague on some details, try looking upset. People won't pry [Big Grin]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Perhaps you had been such a mean and selfish person, living only for yourself, and had either driven everyone else away, or you realised that your life was empty.

But I've worked hard for years to get myself so quiet, calm and...oh, yeah right. *sob*

quote:
Find a B-class 60s sob story film, and plagairise the plot.
Yes! Susan Hayward. I saw that movie. Gotcha.

quote:
When walking alone, you met with God. Nothing dramatic - rector would know you were lying.
She'll play along, as long as I'm going with the flow.

quote:
How about an acceptance of you, as you are, as you realise how dirty and bad you are?
You can stop now.

quote:
Then some fudge about life having its ups and downs since then, but this unshakeable acceptance of you, just the way you are has never left you. This ending has the added bonus of them not being able to criticize you for being as you are - if God likes you that way, who are they to criticize?
Hey, if it's worked for you, girl, I know it'll work for me. Nothing like a road-tested conversion.

quote:
And, if you are a bit vague on some details, try looking upset. People won't pry
I learned a long time ago to be a bit vague on the details. Didn't realize I could use it in spiritual class too.

Thanks, Sarky.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Well. <sniff> If all you wanted was a run-of-the-mill Anglican pseudo-conversion, why didn't you just say so. <sniff>

*sheep-plop*, too. [Disappointed]

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Well, it's well known around the church that I'm a cradle Episcopalian, so I can't get too far out there.

I'm afraid I couldn't get by with Baha'i. I have to start slow.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Parenthetically, have you ever noticed how much accounts of sudden conversion experiences sound like nervous breakdowns? Saint Augustine's certainly does.

I once had an instance of jet lag/food poisoning that seemed a good deal like Dame Julian's experience of being harassed by demons. [Devil]

No joke. [Eek!]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link between sudden conversions and nervous breakdowns has unfortunately been noted by dodgy practitioners who drive someone to breakdown in order to convert them (break me, melt me, mould me, fill me; dying to self, breaking down the ego, etc) Not a recommended practice as it can lead to lots of l-t problems, but was quite popular at one time. [Confused]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Oh, for God's sake. This doesn't have Jack Shit to do with one's "Spiritual Journey."

This has everything to do with people so alienated from their culture that they would prostitute themselves in virtually any way to achieve anything resembling intimacy with another human being.

OF COURSE we have a spiritual journey. But For God's Sake, where in Hell did somebody make the connection that "sharing one's spiritual journey" with others was a way to "build community."

Most spiritual journeys are absolute misery. God doesn't seem particularly disposed to making us "feel good" as we struggle to find ways to love Him more than we love ourselves or any of the other things we love--whatever they may be, and virtually all of which corrode our souls beyond comprehension or recognition.

The idea that we could "come together" in a small group for "encouragement" is absolutely ludicrous. We don't need "encouragement" to love God. We need a bracing reminder that the world is not our home. We need to be told not to be cowards.

The Sacraments are what give us comfort--not people. God gives us people to tell us to Suck it Up.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, tomb. Oysters produce beautiful pearls when irritated by grains of sand. In view of the length and depth of my irritation, I look forward to hatching one of the biggest fucking pearls in the history of the world.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgia
Shipmate
# 4875

- Posted      Profile for georgia   Email georgia       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For just hanging in there without violence you've got to have earned some heavely brownie points. Still your pain has made for some fabulosly interesting reading.
I can't equal the excellent spiritual journeys already posted but it does occur to me that maybe you could embarass your rector by sayng that when she pointed out your spiritual poverty you felt obliged to come to this group. However you have resolved in future always to put put a fleece before taking up suggestions which could possibly be false prophecies and that the passage regarding testing the spirits has taken on new meaning since you started attending.
In view of your choir experiences re alternative worship ,you could add that your journey continues as you've realised that some of the hymns [ make that most ] that you previously enjoyed have a far too intellectual bent and that you will from now on be looking for worship songs without theological content of any kind as you pursue the path to become as a little child.
Probably wouldnt mention the voices until next week.
BTW Adrian Plass has some excellent picures re spiritual truths I particularly like the one about a jelly fish and a dart board.... Hope this helps-- God bless you on your pilgrimage. [Snigger]

[ 29. October 2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Georgia ]

--------------------
'I am not much in the mood for deep talk.'. Daisy Ashford

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

The Episcopal Church has two supplements to its regular hymnal. One of them is an inclusive-language, multi-cultural, "musically accessible" one called "Wonder, Love, & Praise". I loathe it.

I did have the pleasure Monday night, when the rector asked "What's the name of that green hymnal we use, Sine?" of answering "Wonder, Love & Puke". It was the high point of the class as far as I'm concerned.

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wonder, Love, and Praise continues the numbering of the 1982 hymnal. Beginning with hymn 721, it spreads out a smorgasbord of offerings in a variety of musical styles--German chorale tunes, folk tunes, Taizé songs, spirituals, ballads. You'll find both familiar tunes like "Sine Nomine" coupled with new words (880), and beloved texts like "Abide With Me" in musical settings composed in the last decade (799). There's a delightful Christmas carol in Chinese, Latin-flavored songs in Spanish, and songs with texts as diverse as a Navajo prayer

[ 29. October 2003, 20:15: Message edited by: Alt Wally ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick quiz.

In what hymn does the phrase, "wonder, love, and praise" occur?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Piece O' Cake...

"Love Divine, all loves excelling"

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Piece O' Cake...

Hopefully sung to Hyfrydol.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
The Episcopal Church has two supplements to its regular hymnal. One of them is an inclusive-language, multi-cultural, "musically accessible" one called "Wonder, Love, & Praise". I loathe it.

I did have the pleasure Monday night, when the rector asked "What's the name of that green hymnal we use, Sine?" of answering "Wonder, Love & Puke". It was the high point of the class as far as I'm concerned.

I usually hear Wonder, Lust, and Praise.

Remembering that WLP is considered a supplement meant to try things out with, not necessarily a polished work, I'm shocked--SHOCKED, mind you--that you loathe WLP. Has it no redeeming value in your mind?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
Piece O' Cake...

[Axe murder] Hyfrydol [Axe murder]
"Sine Nomine coupled with new words" - I always knew you wrote your own material, but this is a bit much.

I'm with tomb and the Cootster - most spiritual journeys are neither edifying nor happy, whatever the end result.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
quote:
Piece O' Cake...

Shameful admission time

Sometimes I do rather like it to Sir John's lovely tune, but mostly, yes, to Hyfrydol.

I think Sir John's is more contempative and actually makes me think about the text more, but it's hard to beat the 1,2,3-1,2,3 of Hyfrydol. It's about as much excitement as Episcopalians can stand. Especially with a descant ("Sopranos speaking in tongues").

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Remembering that WLP is considered a supplement meant to try things out with, not necessarily a polished work, I'm shocked--SHOCKED, mind you--that you loathe WLP. Has it no redeeming value in your mind?

Bead, don't make me be real. Of course it's got some redeeming value. I actually like some of the stuff. But I despise it on the general principle of the introduction, which is one of the smarmiest pieces of writing it's ever been my misfortune to read, and encapsulates all I find annoying about the New York Office.

And I find it telling that when Church Publishing put out their CD of selections from WL&P, they had Neswick's* girl's choir do it, as if they knew how puke-making it would sound if done by an adult choir.

* This is not a dig against Bruce, or girl's choirs, so nobody needs to jump to his/their defense.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:

Bead, don't make me be real. Of course it's got some redeeming value. I actually like some of the stuff. But I despise it on the general principle of the introduction, which is one of the smarmiest pieces of writing it's ever been my misfortune to read, and encapsulates all I find annoying about the New York Office.

And I find it telling that when Church Publishing put out their CD of selections from WL&P, they had Neswick's* girl's choir do it, as if they knew how puke-making it would sound if done by an adult choir.

* This is not a dig against Bruce, or girl's choirs, so nobody needs to jump to his/their defense.

I know! You just don't like music played on a shrunti (or however it is spelled). Kyrie eleison. [Eek!]

Either that, or you don't like Bach chorale preludes.

See, you aren't the only person with a CD player.

Actually, I feel a small need to come to the defense of WL&P (swarminess, notwithstanding). Let's say I know which organ bench Shirley Hill warms these days. Hint.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Actually, I feel a small need to come to the defense of WL&P (swarminess, notwithstanding).

Well if you feel a need, you just go right ahead and scratch it.

Sorry. I'll stop now. I know this is just the sort of side chatter the hosts abhor. But WL&P does make me crazy.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

"This is the sort of side-chatter the Hosts abhor."

Just don't get on the tangent of talking about particular hymns and songs your abhor. There a nice little thread here for that sort of thing.

tomb
hellhost

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just managed to read through this thread. Sine, please do continue to play devil's advocate and say things to wind people up. Chances are some of the others are bluffing, so you'll have reassured them that this sort of Helen Steiner Rice nonsense is not obligatory.

My housegroup has a curmudgeonly retired vicar who says the most outrageous things, especially when the leaders start showing signs of fluffy bunny-ism. His comments are always the ones that make me laugh, and then make me think. They are like going out for a bracing walk by the sea, rather than being smothered by pillows.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

From the textbook:
quote:
You might also choose to draw your spiritual journey. Take a large sheet of blank paper, or tape several together for adequate space. Draw a line that represents your life, showing the ups and downs, turns, circles, or whatever pattern seems right to you. Mark particularly significant events with symbols that represent what they have meant in your faith life. Be creative with this process, using colors to express your feelings at various times or gluing onto the paper other materials that expand and interpret your symbols.
Oh collage! What fun. This has real possibilities.

It reminds me of the young son of a friend of mine who was staying with his dad one week-end when he had to do a collage for school. It was a rather interesting collage, because the only magazines around the house were back issues of Vogue, Architectural Digest, and some, uh, shall we say, physical fitness magazines.

What the child's teacher thought, I never heard; but I at least was rather impressed.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And will you be using the color of horse shit to express your feelings about making the drawing of your spiritual journey?
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016