homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: A small group experience in spiritual formation
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the misspellings. I was experimenting with Blue Gin last night.

Yes, I am still jet-lagged. Waking up at all hours of the night wanting espresso.

And I'm having dreams about Keeping Left and Looking Right while driving.

[ 04. December 2003, 16:15: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:

How about minding the gap?

This one always sounds like an advertisement for a clothing store to me.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
BTW, KenWritez, people who weigh 145 pounds keep M&Ms in the sideboard, for use in refilling the cut glass biscuit jar full of M&Ms that sits atop the sideboard.

Damn, there's that viscious, unsaved Sine sneaking back again. This really is a lifelong process, isn't it? I had so hoped I was saved for good.

Well, shit! No wonder I hadn't grasped the subtle nuances of this sideboard thing--I weigh too fucking much! Silly me.

[ 04. December 2003, 09:08: Message edited by: Kenwritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, I weigh 10 stone (140 lb, I think), and keep chocolate in the fridge. Does this make me a freak, or is 10 stone 5lb the cut off point?

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey hey! Stop this chocolate talk (worthy though the subject is).

Sign's new sig has a link to hist new best buddy. I wanna hear about how he is getting on with his new buddy.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I wanna hear about how he is getting on with his new buddy.

I'm reading snippets of his biography every night. It's way cool to have a friend who can do such miraculous things. I'm inviting him to my Christmas open house. Should be a real money-saver if all I have to do is buy bottled water and then let Him bar-tend.

Oh, and I asked him if he minded having a gay friend. He said he didn't, personally, but not to tell Paul, who apparently can be a little funny about stuff like that.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you told the rector abou you new best friend? Will you be telling your class too?

Have you been working on your spontanious prayers?

"Oh Jesus, you are just such a good friend to me. Ta buddy."

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim: tut, tut, Sine. St Ignatius of Loyola composed his spiritual exercises when laid up in bed with a leg wound.

It all becomes clearer to me now. Why did this broken leg happen? Clearly, it's my calling....

You can all buy the book.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine,

Do you think that if you invited your new bestest friend to your class, he would join in? I'm sure he could catch up on the weeks he's missed - he could bring along four spiritual diaries and, if he's your very bestest friend in the whole wide world, he might lend you one (just until you get the "My Secret Barbie" diary at half price in the sales).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:

How about minding the gap?

This one always sounds like an advertisement for a clothing store to me.

When I went to London a few years back, I kept my mom in stiches with a little routine I concocted about the "Mind the Gap" girl on a date...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim: tut, tut, Sine. St Ignatius of Loyola composed his spiritual exercises when laid up in bed with a leg wound.

It all becomes clearer to me now. Why did this broken leg happen? Clearly, it's my calling....

You can all buy the book.

[personal aside]
ebeth, did you break your leg? I do hope not...
[/personal aside]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I did.
But now I've found this thread and my calling [Biased]

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the leg.

Will the book be done in time for next year's Christmas shopping?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I weren't drooling for next week's installment of "mock the spiritual retards", I'd be closing this thread due to unworthy prattling.

-RooK
Hellhost

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an effort to get the thread back on track ... do we need to think of excuses for Sine to give when his rector and various members of his group want to know why he wasn't there Monday evening?

I'm thinking he could mumble something about the recurrence of an unsightly skin condition.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uhm...er...hangs head in shame...I...uh...implied...that I had to go see my mother...due to her (actual) rather serious current medical condition.

They prayed for us.

I feel so very ashamed. [Hot and Hormonal]

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that won't do.

He spent the evening watching Benny Hinn on cable TV and, inspired, started to writhe on the floor as a way of Getting In Touch With God.

It didn't work, alas. He got rug burn from the Aubusson and notched up a couple of chippendale chairs, but at least he got his damn aerobic exercise out of the way for another week.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

That post of mine was intended as a response to RuthW. Beware, Sine: sick relatives--even real ones, tend to wear thin after awhile with those intent on doing the Lord's work.
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He got rug burn from the Aubusson ...

Exactly. A recurring unsightly skin condition. [Snigger] (Sorry, Sine. But really, you had all this coming to you. You should have sought expert advice here before making your excuses!)
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I would like to warn newcomers to the ship never, ever, to make a light-hearted comment in passing. It will follow you around like a lost, starving puppy forever.

And the scar is almost gone, thank-you so very much for asking.

However, back to Things Spiritual...

I have decided that the Barbie™ diary would betray an unfortunate frivolity of mind that is to be avoided. Rooting around in the library I have found a very serious looking spiral notebook with green tinted ruled pages that will do very well indeed, I think. It's very thick and the spiral part is on the top, rather than the side, which somehow gives it an air of utter sincerity I find rather appealing.

I have learned over the past weeks that the time one picks for spiritual development is important. Trying to be spiritual in the lunch room at work while the guys are talking sports and the women are talking about that slut in accounting is not conducive to growth.

Nor do I seem to be able to have productive meditation on the Holy Scripture when I get home from work and am having cocktails. So much more fun to post in Hell during cocktail time, don'tcha know.

My new goal is to arise a half hour earlier in the morning and, while the house is quiet, try to hear God speaking to me. It will be my special time with my bestest friend.

One thing I've learned so far is that spiritual discipline requires, uh, discipline. (Never said I was quick on the up-take.)

Unfortunately, I've learned that late in the week and now have to cram six days worth of discipline into two days. But I swear I won't let the coven down again. Really. I promise.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My new goal is to arise a half hour earlier in the morning and, while the house is quiet, try to hear God speaking to me. It will be my special time with my bestest friend.

One thing I've learned so far is that spiritual discipline requires, uh, discipline. (Never said I was quick on the up-take.)

Unfortunately, I've learned that late in the week and now have to cram six days worth of discipline into two days. But I swear I won't let the coven down again. Really. I promise.

Rising a half-hour earlier? It sounds like you've been reading devotional literature, Sine. Have you been strangely warmed?

Let's see. Six Days. 0.5 hours. Sounds like you only need 3 hours to meet your weekly Spiritual Supplement needs per week. You can do that on a Saturday morning. With it this easy to be Spiritual™, you should still have time to post in Hell during cocktail time and create new rug burns (arf, arf).

Why didn't they tell me it was this easy?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Insider note to Sine: You don't have to get up half an hour earlier, you just have to wake up earlier. God listens even if you're still snuggled in those comfy covers.)

(Hey, I'm not responsible for what He hears while you're snuggled in the covers! Though it's probably a lot more honest than what you'd come up with if you were sitting primly in a chair trying to think devotional thoughts.)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg-- [Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Ah, but Jennifer, this week we're learning about lectio divina.

I have to:
Read
Reflect
Respond
Relax

As the textbook says:
quote:
Classical writers have compared this process to eating. In reading, you bite off a small chunk of text. Through meditation, you chew on it, extracting the nutrients and juices. In prayer, you swallow, incorporating the results of your meditation and allowing them to nourish your life. And in contemplation, you savor the good taste left in your mouth, celebrate the gift of God's word to you, and embrace the new life you have received.
I hardly think I can do all that snuggled under the covers. I'd get crumbs of scripture all over the duvet.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As the textbook says:
quote:
Classical writers have compared this process to eating. In reading, you bite off a small chunk of text. Through meditation, you chew on it, extracting the nutrients and juices. In prayer, you swallow, incorporating the results of your meditation and allowing them to nourish your life. And in contemplation, you savor the good taste left in your mouth, celebrate the gift of God's word to you, and embrace the new life you have received.

What if it gives you indigestion and you barf it all up?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

That's when you get out your special "Epistles of Paul" bedpan.
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Projectile Epistles", eh?

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would like to warn newcomers to the ship never, ever, to make a light-hearted comment in passing. It will follow you around like a lost, starving puppy forever.

Case in point: Wood's comment about Britney was made nearly four years ago. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

OK. It's Tuesday. Morning. I need my weekly installment of Sine Joins a Coven.

Sine, you know you are here to make us happy, don't you?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I'm chewing on last night's class (see above) and should have it digested by this evening.

p.s.: Were not we all put here to make each other happy? True joy comes from the giving of ourselves to others. So I've been told.

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

True joy comes from the giving of ourselves to others. So I've been told.

That explains the german cannibal, then.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I got two things out of our lesson this week.

This isn't supposed to be group therapy, yet the very first thing we do each week is tell how God is working in our lives, particularly in terms of the week's lessons.

Asking how God is working in your life is like waving a red flag in front of a bull in this group. Open invitation to wander all over the place, occasionally touching base with the lessons. Ms. Mystical is particularly bad about this, with Softball Girl being a close second. Also, I've decided Ms. Mystical has tinted contact lenses, which I find unnerving.

Our scripture readings for our first venture into lectio divina were rather unfortunate, I thought. Especially for beginner spiritualists like moi. I'm not even totally convinced that Jesus is God Incarnate and we had to read and meditate on the Ravens being fed, and the lilies of the field being robed in splendor. Just don't worry about a damn thing because God is going to take care of you.

Naturally when I tried to meditate on these passages I thought about every massacre of Christians I've ever read about. Every natural disaster, every famine, every invasion of the Mongols, etc. Wasn't very uplifting.

I shared honestly, unfortunately after two coven members had already shared how wonderful it was to trust in Jesus. When I finished, the rector said "Sine, I appreciate your candor." I realized that she's been saying that to me for eight years now. I never hear her say it to anybody else. I'm starting to think it's code for something else.

This was the oddest thing, though. We practiced lectio divina on Philippians 2:1-11.

Several people took great exception to the part about "in humility regard others as better than yourselves." Smiley Boy particularly. But he wasn't the only one.

Now, of course, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, spiritually speaking, but even I know that you have to have humility and the willingness to be a servant, emptying yourself of pride so Christ can enter.

But that passage really stuck in their craws. So I mentioned something about Maundy Thursday foot-washing and servanthood. Not of course that I would ever do something so yucky, but in theory I know I should.

So I ended up getting back some of the spiritual points I had lost by not trusting that Jesus would pay my car insurance and VISA bill.

In fact, I may have gained a little moral high ground. And my new spiral notebook looked very sincere. I made sure to use a couple of different pens when I made my entries on Saturday, and I enjoyed flipping back and forth among the pages looking for that special deep thought to share.

I'm actually starting to enjoy being spiritual.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems obvious me to that what we need to develop some systematic way to help guide Sine spiritually. I speak specifically about the spiritual points he referred to.

I suggest that we compile an exhaustive sample list of pertinent items, and assign them spiritual points for Sine to contemplate. To assist him in recognizing these spiritual points in action during his future sessions, I think we should arrange it in a BINGO format.

Can't you just imagine it? There's Sine, looking all interested in everything people are saying, meanwhile covertly noting his SoF Spiritual Bingo card. He could report back if he got a BINGO, or a blackout, or whatever other bingo terms apply. That way, while Sine is learning to recognize spiritual points, we get an objective measure of how spiritual his sessions are.

Actually, if it works out, perhaps we could propose it as a form of Mystery Worship review...

[ 10. December 2003, 01:35: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
When I finished, the rector said "Sine, I appreciate your candor." I realized that she's been saying that to me for eight years now. I never hear her say it to anybody else. I'm starting to think it's code for something else.

I know exactly how you feel. I've heard this from three (count 'em, three!) priests in a row in my parish. I think it's code for "That's probably all the candor we can handle this evening; do us all a favor and keep the rest to yourself."

quote:
I'm actually starting to enjoy being spiritual.
Are you sure you're doing it right?
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I enjoyed flipping back and forth among the pages looking for that special deep thought to share.

Here's a thought. Flip back and say, "You know I was thinking about this class and I started a little fragment of verse but can't seem to figure out how to end it...let's see...oh yes here it is:

The Sun kisses the morning sky,
The birds kiss the butterflies,
The dew kisses the morning grass..."

If someone snorts violently and quickly apologizes, you know you've found a friend.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I got two things out of our lesson this week.

This isn't supposed to be group therapy, yet the very first thing we do each week is tell how God is working in our lives, particularly in terms of the week's lessons.

Asking how God is working in your life is like waving a red flag in front of a bull in this group. Open invitation to wander all over the place, occasionally touching base with the lessons. Ms. Mystical is particularly bad about this, with Softball Girl being a close second. Also, I've decided Ms. Mystical has tinted contact lenses, which I find unnerving.

And why don't you share in the same way as them? After all, what happens to you in the week is important, and it would be mightily upifting for them to hear about it. For example:

quote:
As I've gone through this week I've just really felt that God is just really been like by my side all the time, and I've just really been able to just like talk with Him about anything. Nothing is too big for Him to handle, and nothing is too small for Him to care about.
pause to look spiritual - best practise this in front of a mirror [Biased]
Last Thursday I got so lost in my quiet time, just sitting with God and really sharing quality time together, when He laid on my heart the fact I was late. But He was amazing - the bus was late, arriving at the bust stop as I did, and then the journey into work was the fastest it's ever been. I was able to cross every road as I got there, and the lift up to my office was waiting for me when I arrived. As I sat down at my desk, dead on time, I thanked the Lord, and I just really felt Him saying to me: "Sine, you are my child and I just love you. Nothing in your life is too small for me to care about, and I wanted to honour you for your faithful worship of me."

Isn't God amazing?
pause for that spiritual look again, mixed with a serene smile.

See, simple really [Biased] Just practise that spiritual look [Big Grin]

quote:
Just don't worry about a damn thing because God is going to take care of you.

Naturally when I tried to meditate on these passages I thought about every massacre of Christians I've ever read about. Every natural disaster, every famine, every invasion of the Mongols, etc. Wasn't very uplifting.

Perhaps those people didn't have enough faith in God? Just really trust Him, Sine, and He'll tak care of you.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
And why don't you share in the same way as them? After all, what happens to you in the week is important, and it would be mightily upifting for them to hear about it.

The problem is I'm the only one in the group who seems to be angry a lot. Except for Stay at Home Mom, whose baby girl almost died. She actually used the word "bullshit", which I found refreshing. I think she's probably my secret ally.

Softball Girl has years of experience sharing with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and church camps. She's got it down to an art. She talks breathlessly at the wonder of it all, while her hands flutter in amazement and her eyes make contact with each group member in turn. It's very sincere.

I can't compete with that.

Not that it's a competition or anything. Heavens no.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you ought to go in for the brooding, obviously deeply sad and worn out soul routine. You can say just about nothing except cryptic comments that allude to a troubling event in your past and then look soulfully at anyone who tries to communicate with you.

If you need a line to use for this try "I saw something nasty in the woodshed." It has worked in the past.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem is I'm the only one in the group who seems to be angry a lot.

Anger isn't Godly. You're meant to be a Shiny Happy Christian.

Haven't you learnt this already?

How am I meant to work with such poor material? [Biased]

Clearly Softball Girl has the dibs on breathy wonder, so perhaps you should try for deep and sincere joy. That can be faked fairly easily.

Sarkycow, still trying to help Sine, despite his destructive efforts.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
perhaps you should try for deep and sincere joy. That can be faked fairly easily.

I understand it's easier for women to fake it.
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're meant to be a Shiny Happy Christian.

Are you suggesting that Sine should prepare for coven by polishing himself until he's happy?

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It seems obvious me to that what we need to develop some systematic way to help guide Sine spiritually. I speak specifically about the spiritual points he referred to.

I suggest that we compile an exhaustive sample list of pertinent items, and assign them spiritual points for Sine to contemplate. To assist him in recognizing these spiritual points in action during his future sessions, I think we should arrange it in a BINGO format.

Can't you just imagine it? There's Sine, looking all interested in everything people are saying, meanwhile covertly noting his SoF Spiritual Bingo card. He could report back if he got a BINGO, or a blackout, or whatever other bingo terms apply. That way, while Sine is learning to recognize spiritual points, we get an objective measure of how spiritual his sessions are.

Actually, if it works out, perhaps we could propose it as a form of Mystery Worship review...

Wow! And just think of the Circus Game possibilities as well! [Yipee] [Two face]
Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
quote:
perhaps you should try for deep and sincere joy. That can be faked fairly easily.

I understand it's easier for women to fake it.
For heaven's sake, we're not talking orgasms here, Sine!

Are we?

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

By her own admission Sarkycow can easily fake "deep and sincere joy".

So you tell me.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate this thread, due to its week by week nature. It is impossible to read from the last post backwards and make any sense. sigh.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

It pains me more than I can say that you hate this thread, brother Pyx_e.

I will get up an additional fifteen minutes earlier in the morning to pray for you, before I start my lectio divina.

I hope the Lord will root out this canker from your heart.

p.s.: Did you know it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile?

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
said the abominator: I hate this thread
If all the words here could be transferred to canvas, I know there's a hotel somewhere we could fill.

The tears of a clown my friend.

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did you know it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile?

But only four muscles to give someone the finger.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Woo, now there's some negative spiritual points if I ever saw 'em.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Poor Belisarius. He doesn't get out of Heaven much. And on top of that the Coot and Stoo are the really popular Heavenly Hosts. It's no wonder he's a little bitter. Bless his heart.

I'll pray for him too.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016