homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Fame Grrrrrr (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fame Grrrrrr
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

- Posted      Profile for ElliE     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I just come on here to let off some steam, so dont feel you have to reply, but you may if you like, hehehe.
I am so sick of people who think that just because people have a name for themselves, or are considered famous they have no life.
Why do people think that these other apparently famous ones are so different to me or you.
This is directed at anybody from Ship by way.
Why do people think that these guys are elevated into heaven more quickly than others just because they play the guitar well.
why cant people realise these people ARE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS!!!!
I just had such an infuriating chat with someone i know , who seems to idolise a certain christian band.
Take well known christian artists. O.K, yes, they are famous in the christian circle, BUT it dosnt make them a better christian than anybody else.
GRRRRRRRRRRRR i know I am probably making no sense whatsoever... but this guy i am talking to is pissed off because people know christian artists. They have to have friends! They are normal.
Ok, ranting over..i could go on forever and probably repeat my self over and over , i am sorry if makes no sense
God Bless
Elz

[ 11. June 2004, 23:05: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Posts: 113 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way to become a shipmate.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

- Posted      Profile for ElliE     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
???

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin thought that was your 51st post, when you lose your Apprentice label and become a Shipmate.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, Marvin was also implying that you're a moron.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

He was?
And why was he implying that?
humph!

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie:
He was?
And why was he implying that?
humph!

Because your post basically reads:
quote:
I'm gonna share my every thought online, because I've mistaken these bulletin boards for a blog. Here's my latest five minute peeve that I have to share.

Wooga wooga wooga, big bad ooga people. They someone this bloke I was talking to is annoyed about something, or maybe I'm annoyed about something he said - I'll leave that cryptic. It's to do with christian bands at any rate.

Grrr wah grrr.

Phrases like "I just come on here to let off some steam, so dont feel you have to reply, but you may if you like, hehehe" and "i am sorry if makes no sense" really don't help your rant.

Oh yeah, and "This is directed at anybody from Ship by way." - wtf? I'm guessing you missed a "n't"? Otherwise you've just flamed the entire Ship [Big Grin]

So, cut the stream-of-consciousness writing syle, and apologising, and bring in some clarity and content. That way you might even get people ranting along with you.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

OK, i will rewrite it then
I am pissed off!
Its NOT directed at anyone on this board!
I dont understand why people have such a thing for idolising so called "famous" christian artists.
Do they not understand that "famous christian artists" are allowed to have friends and family...
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There see, much better. Look what you can do when you try.

Fame glitters. Fame is exciting. Fame is a step removed from the normal, little, humdrum lives that most people lead. If they can bask in fame's reflected glory, or reach out and touch it for a fleeting moment, of course they're going to. Those of us who live with it on a daily basis (either as a famous person, or as a friend or family member) know that fame is not as exciting as it's made out to be. We know that it glitters, but this shine isn't a solid coating; rather it's an occasional sparkle.

[Big Grin]

Why does the fantasizing of the little people chap your hide so much?

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Annnnnd... that's about as warm a welcome as you'll receive, Ellie.

You've apparently decided to start your thread during an attempted rebirth of the old Hell. (Well, it's not exactly the old Hell, 'cause that was really just the new Heaven.) The old, old Hell was a place where no post went untaunted; where no one dared start a thread except the crustiest and roughest old timers; where curses flew like the swallows to Capistrano; and where Hellhosts prowled like pseudo-Hitlers, verbally assaulting and disemboweling even (no -- especially!) the most innocent of Shipmates.

Soooo... unless your willing to be subjected to insinuations about your intellect, your earning ability, your sexual attractiveness, your misguided perceptions of just about everything, and/or whether or not you're a true Christian, you might want to lurk a little and see just how hot it's going to get this time -- toast, roast or flame.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ellie, can I ask you to please double-space between your paragraphs? It's far too hard to read otherwise. Thank you kindly.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
Annnnnd... that's about as warm a welcome as you'll receive, Ellie.

You've apparently decided to start your thread during an attempted rebirth of the old Hell. (Well, it's not exactly the old Hell, 'cause that was really just the new Heaven.) The old, old Hell was a place where no post went untaunted; where no one dared start a thread except the crustiest and roughest old timers; where curses flew like the swallows to Capistrano; and where Hellhosts prowled like pseudo-Hitlers, verbally assaulting and disemboweling even (no -- especially!) the most innocent of Shipmates.

Soooo... unless your willing to be subjected to insinuations about your intellect, your earning ability, your sexual attractiveness, your misguided perceptions of just about everything, and/or whether or not you're a true Christian, you might want to lurk a little and see just how hot it's going to get this time -- toast, roast or flame.

And who pissed in your porridge this morning GRITS poppet? [Big Grin]

There is less a rebirthing of Hell happening currently (far too messy), and more a simple pruning of threads that don't fit into its remit.

Still, can't beat a good conspiracy theory can you [Biased]

--------------------

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

Maybe i should withdraw from this then, now i started it.
It chaps my hide so much because it is infuriating when people dont think that "well know artists" dont have a life, and friends and a family!
Elz

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

and i will keep the spacing thing in mind mouse!
:-)

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I dont understand why people have such a thing for idolising so called "famous" christian artists.

Probably want to have sex with them.
Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think that the church has gotten far to obsessed with charisma and has lost the plot when it comes to character being what God values. On one hand I think its great that some people are gifted with great voices, and abilities that mean they are more "high profile" than others, and it is great that there are some positive role models out there, but we seem so obsessed with worshiping people with charisma that we seem to forget that Jesus said stuff like the least shall be the greatest.

I remember reading Adrian Plass's book an alien at St Winifreds and there was a character who was a bit simple in it who did lots of the "menial" jobs around the church. Nunc (the Alien) refered to him as "the most important person in the church of England" because of that whole kingdom of God role reversal.

The whole Christian hero worship thing gets on my nerves a bit cause it seems a reversal of that servant value system.

I am pretty fed up with churches where the beautiful, charismatic people are assumed to be the most spiritual actually, Just because to can lead worship and look like Darlene Zcheck (or whatever) does not actually mean that you are more spiritual than the rest of us great unwashed!!

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Probably want to have sex with them.
That could just be you, though, Sign [Biased]

--------------------

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

ya never know do ya!
the thought makes me cringe tho.

I guess i just get so pissed off that there are some small minded people out there who dont appreciate that these people are relatively normal, with normal families, friends, and probably, on the whole, normal flipping toilet habits.

End of day, they are just normal people!

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
And who pissed in your porridge this morning GRITS poppet?

Her mother, probably.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Ellie. [Cool]

--------------------

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
high profile christians are normal, people mistake them for more.

and?

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

EXACTLY dee!

and i just read that book about a week ago!

Very good read!

I dont think these high profile christians should be elevated to super spiritual status.

Elz

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:

Some are normal. Some let it go to their heads. Some are messed up to begin with. The only difference is that with peons there's no fame to go to the head, so on the average the famous tend to be more self-absorbed than the non-famous -- they have more opportunity, so to speak.

Hope this helps. [Big Grin]

--------------------

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:

and?

M

and? and it hacks me off because WHY do people mistake them for more, why do people think they are more, or better than them or super spiritual.

Elz x

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
I dont think these high profile christians should be elevated to super spiritual status.

EXACTLY, Ellie!

That's just the way I feel about the Bishop of Rome.

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

EXACTLY, Ellie!

That's just the way I feel about the Bishop of Rome.

But he is spiritually better than you Sign. You just fall over; he kisses the tarmac.

[Snigger]

[ 11. May 2004, 00:47: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------

Ronist
Shipmate
# 5343

- Posted      Profile for Ronist   Email Ronist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya see! It took me this long to get a bead on what you were talking about. I didn't know if;

You were a Christian artist being hounded by paparazzi.

You knew a Christian artist being stalked by adoring nut-bar fans

You had a morbid interest in their toilet habits

or something else.

Why do people idolize Christain artists? For the same reason people idolize Britney et al. Cuz they think their lives are exciting and they want to hitch a ride on them for a bit.

Still don't know why this makes ya nuts though.

Posts: 827 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

Ronist - Ellie is secretly Matt Redman*, and (s)he's pissed off that people think being a famous christian is super-cool, when really it's just as boring as everyone else's life. Well, with the exception of all the recording deals, the travelling round the country, the interviews, and the little frisson of excitement that comes from hearing your songs sung in churches up and down Britain.

Nope, can't see what's so great about that.

[Snigger]

Sarkycow

*I'd recognise the writing style anywhere [Biased]

--------------------

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ellie: "Famous Xians being idolised pisses me off. Wah wah wah."

Someone else: "So?"

Ellie: "So it pisses me off. Grrr."

Another Shipmate: "And?"

Ellie: "And it pisses me off. Grrrrr."

etc etc etc, ad [Projectile]

(And this thread is still open WHY? [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ellie's posts don't have enough repetition to be written by a Charismatic Evangelical songwriter. I mean, only two Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Her post would have to be something like.

quote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I just really wanna say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Oh Lord, we are the generation that says Grrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore? So I'm going to start a Hell thread on SOF and whinge.

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And who pissed in your porridge this morning GRITS poppet?
Just my contribution to the cause, Sarky. It takes a little effort for me to live up to Hell standards. Don't want to get my kiester kicked.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker MacLurker:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I just really wanna say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Oh Lord, we are the generation that says Grrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And one day we shall rest by the streams of
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
And praise the One who says
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Because we are a Grrrrrrrr People.
We are a Grrrrrrrrr People.
We are a Grrrrrrrrr People.
We are a Grrrrrrrrr People and we say
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Orthodox equivalent:

In the Second Tone.

Blessed are those who say Grrrr. The Lord will hear them and answer them from Zion. Their Grrr will rise up to the heavens. As bricks before the wind, so will their Grrrr stand firm when all around is blown away.

Grrrr to thee, O Lord of Grrrr-ness.
Grrrr to thee, who makest the Grrrr-ers Grrrr.
Grrrr to thee, who judgest the Grrrrs with equity.
Grrrr to thee, and the horse thou rodest in on.
Grrrr to thee, and another Grrrr for good measure.
Grrrr to thee, who dost Grrrr all mankind.
Grrrr to thee, for thou art the Grrrr-iest
Grrrr to thee, O Lord of Grrr-ness.

Blessed are those who Grrrr, and may their children's children Grrrr in their houses. Grrrr unto the highest heights. Grrrr.

--------------------

Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's Russian for Grrrrrrrrrr?

[Oh cyrillic letters don't work here, then)

[ 11. May 2004, 01:17: Message edited by: Lurker MacLurker ]

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Rrrrrrrg.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
You just fall over; he kisses the tarmac.

At least you've given me a nicer euphemism.

"God, I feel like shit this morning. I kissed the tarmac last night."

...and tarmac is probably better than some trolls I have known.

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered if perhaps Ellie has been telling people that she is a friend of some famous (I never know who they are myself) Christian artist or other, and nobody will believe her. Or a famous Christian artist of some kind is related to her, and nobody will believe that either. She assumes it is because they don't think the person has any friends or family, when actually they just think she is a habitual prevaricator.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn you Moussethief*. That post... and the 'depends' comment in Purgatory have resulted in my revealing to the whole faculty that I am not, in fact, doing 'research'.

* Decided to leave typ in, cos the image amused me.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

A name-dropper, then, Zeke?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Damn you Moussethief. That post... and the 'depends' comment in Purgatory have resulted in my revealing to the whole faculty that I am not, in fact, doing 'research'.

Bless your heart!

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

I agree -- Mousethief's song was grrrrrreat!

--------------------

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps she is leading up to revealing that Graham Kendrick (is this right?) suffers from hemorrhoids. Except she doesn't think we will believe it, so she is softening us up with this thread.

Or maybe it's this Matt Redman guy.

[added name]

[ 11. May 2004, 01:49: Message edited by: Zeke ]

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Graham Kendrick is Pyx_e?!! [Eek!]
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

i have no intention of name dropping, and i certainly aint leading up to anything either.

had no idea this would get so personal, with insults flying.

Should not have posted in the first place.

( i do like the grrr song writing you come up with!)

Elz x

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

That's Hell for you.

--------------------

ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

cant ya tell i am oh so new.

Obviously not become accustomed to it yet, and maybe i should have sat back and watched as suggested, but by the time that suggestion came through it was to late, having already posted the OP.

hmm..oh well.. i have a thick skin...

elz x

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Should not have posted in the first place.

There. She's got it.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, Ellie - did you see the front page of Hell?!

quote:
The sparks fly fast and furious around here, so back out quickly if you don't like the heat
[Unhellish tangent] really, go read what the different boards are for - then you can avoid being flame-bait in the future. Friendly tip! [/Unhellish tangent]

Honestly though. If you've made more than 50 posts, you've been around long enough to know what will happen when you post in Hell. (Although you might be forgiven for thinking you can get away with little whinges, given the recent standard of Hell posts [Disappointed] )

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Marmot:
There. She's got it.

By George!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016