homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Fame Grrrrrr (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fame Grrrrrr
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie:
had no idea this would get so personal, with insults flying.

What insults?
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You think this is personal? I actually think they're going pretty easy on you (especially the pedants, who shall go nameless... unless you want me to name them.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

What insults?
Isn't that just like a Tennessee tush torquer? You flaming Episky, you wouldn't know your head from a lump on a stump if the latter had eyes and it was dark and kind of dappled from the effect of the light through the leaves on a partly overcast but not fully clouded-over day. Calling you a nimrod is an insult to real nimrods. Twitmeister.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I've been called a shithead by Pyx_e. Of course I share that honor with the whole Ship. And I don't see how a little speculation about the motives and details of a rather vague OP, that took several more somewhat vague posts before we even had a good idea what the rant was about, can be decried as insults. I have seen insults that would make that seem like flowery compliments. Love-notes, even.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Blah, blah...blah, blah, blah.

Have you considered entering the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest? I think you could do very well.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez he asks for insults and then isn't happy with insults. Beggars can't be choosers, eye-guy.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on, Zeke. As I read the OP, the message here is: 'I told this guy that I was friends with Famous X--or at least that I was in school with his sister and had been to their house a few times and Famous X grunted at me, and this guy said "I don't believe you. Famous X would never be friends with you. Your only friend is Mr. Donut." I am furious. Now, wouldn't you guys on Sof like to ask me who Famous X is?'

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Now, wouldn't you guys on Sof like to ask me who Famous X is?'
Herbert Howells?

Oops. No. He's dead. Gee, can't think of anyone living. Nobody would boast about knowing Rotter.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Bell maybe? [Snigger]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luna
Shipmate
# 2002

- Posted      Profile for Luna   Author's homepage   Email Luna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I dont understand why people have such a thing for idolising so called "famous" christian artists.

quote:
Retort from Sine Nomine:
Probably want to have sex with them.

Oh yeah. If I were to bang a Christian music artist it would have to be... Bebo Norman. Weird name, love you long time.

Luna

--------------------
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Visit my blog!

Posts: 107 | From: UC Berkeley, California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I dont understand why people have such a thing for idolising so called "famous" christian artists.

That's certainly why I idolise Graham Kendrick.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker MacLurker:
Ellie's posts don't have enough repetition to be written by a Charismatic Evangelical songwriter. I mean, only two Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Her post would have to be something like.

quote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I just really wanna say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Oh Lord, we are the generation that says Grrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,
He is Grrrrrrrr,

[Big Grin]

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
quote:

That's certainly why I idolise Graham Kendrick.
You are one sick puppy....

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matrix, if it stops him writing any more of his brain-dissolving crap, then I just hope IbyP can keep going for a month. [Razz]
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I told this guy that I was friends with Famous X--or at least that I was in school with his sister and had been to their house a few times and Famous X grunted at me, and this guy said "I don't believe you."

Well! I realise that this will only impress UK shipmates, or possibly anyone who has seen Time Team.

But anyway, one of my friends, her little brother was in the same class as 'Mick the Dig'. Mick used to come over to her house, but because he was only her little brother's friend she didn't pay much attention to him.

So, you can see that I know famous people!

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Saville once tried to pull my ear off.

I have the photo to prove it.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norman the Organ:
Matrix, if it stops him writing any more of his brain-dissolving crap, then I just hope IbyP can keep going for a month. [Razz]

Who's the daddy. WHO'S THE DADDY.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
cant ya tell i am oh so new.

Low post count maybe, but you're hardly new - you joined the same month as I did.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

- Posted      Profile for ElliE     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have joined over a year ago, but that dosnt mean i have been coming onto the ship for that long does it!

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Posts: 113 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would seem not.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Padingtun Bear.

Bear of Very Little Brain
# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I told this guy that I was friends with Famous X--or at least that I was in school with his sister and had been to their house a few times and Famous X grunted at me, and this guy said "I don't believe you."

Well! I realise that this will only impress UK shipmates, or possibly anyone who has seen Time Team.

But anyway, one of my friends, her little brother was in the same class as 'Mick the Dig'. Mick used to come over to her house, but because he was only her little brother's friend she didn't pay much attention to him.

So, you can see that I know famous people!

What, really? [Eek!] . How old is your friend, if you don't mind me asking???

Mr B. used to work for this guy who used to be a roadie for Martyn Joseph. Does that count?

MtM - you know you work out at around an average of around 7 posts a day. Not all of us can keep up with that over a year or more (and indeed, who would want to?). Life. I. A. Have. [Biased] .

--------------------
Shameless publicity for a great new book:
A voice from the fringe

Posts: 961 | From: South Oxfordshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
I'd recognise the writing style anywhere [Biased]

quote:

I'm coming back to the hell we're used to
It's not about Shipmates
I'm cross about the thing my friend said
Its all about Normal
Its all about Normal
He has to have friends!
He is Normal.

And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something quite normal
That will piss you off

I'll bring you more than a rant
For a rant in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking beyond my posting

I'm coming back to Hell
To let off some steam
So dont feel you have to reply
But you may if you like
And its all about Fame
All about You, Normal
I'm sorry Normal One for the thing I've made it
When its all about You
Its all about You, Normal

Famous Artist of some, but limited, worth
No one could express
How much they deserve
The same as everyone else
Though I'm weak and poor
Nothing I have is theirs
Every single Grrrrrrr

OK, ranting over
I could go on forever
And probably repeat myself
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
Over and over
I am sorry if makes no sense

[ 11. May 2004, 11:37: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Padingtun Bear:
quote:

What, really? [Eek!] . How old is your friend, if you don't mind me asking???
Mick the Dig (mid-twenties digger), not Mick Ashton (late sixties professor).

quote:
MtM - you know you work out at around an average of around 7 posts a day. Not all of us can keep up with that over a year or more (and indeed, who would want to?). Life. I. A. Have. [Biased] .
Weekends. The. At. Post. I. Don't. Much. [Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Padingtun Bear.

# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Which takes your weekday average up to... 11 posts.

[I apologise profusely for confusing Micks and casting any aspertions on the age of BB's friend.]

--------------------
A voice from the fringe

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Padingtun Bear:
quote:

Which takes your weekday average up to... 11 posts.
I'd better slow down then, this is already today's 12th and it's only half past one! [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Um, fessing up time. I got the wrong Mick. It is actually Prof. Mick Aston who was my friend's brother's best friend.

My friend is a lady, and would not like me to reveal her age. (Her husband reads the boards [Big Grin] ) However, Mick was a friend of her little brother. That should give an indication of my friend's age.

And Mick is not in his late sixties! Late fifties is much more like it, perhaps 60 this year.

[ 11. May 2004, 20:04: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Ellie. I have greatly enjoyed this thread, especially the spoof worship songs courtesy of ken, Norman et al. (Laughing that hard with a laptop balanced on your tummy is in a fact a little uncomfortable).

But it does sound a bit as if Tony the Frosties Tiger is doing choruses...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ElliE
Shipmate
# 4430

- Posted      Profile for ElliE     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HI dragon [Biased]
Glad ya had a laugh!
Hehehe,
LOVe
elz x x

--------------------
"blah blah blah"

Posts: 113 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I aim to please, Sine [Biased]

(Unlike others around here... *cough*mouethief*cough* from what his wife says [Snigger] )

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

What's a "digger"?

--------------------

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Thank you Ellie. I have greatly enjoyed this thread, especially the spoof worship songs courtesy of ken, Norman et al.
But it does sound a bit as if Tony the Frosties Tiger is doing choruses...

When I read the OP, I thought that Ellie was more than a day late and a dollar short for "Talk like a Pirate Day" (using the alternate for "Arrrr").

But now I, too, am thinking Tony the Tiger, when I am NOT thinking just how much I would NOT like to be the object of that sort of attention from Sarkycow. (Had me on the edge of my chair, I tell you.)

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin went to high school with Worf! Or Michael Dorn, anyway. But for some reason he has never offered us a ride on his Mig fighter plane. Wonder why; not like it's been 30 years or anything.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken - [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I take one day off the Ship, and I miss one of the funniest posts i've seen in a long time!

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dotdot
Shipmate
# 5048

- Posted      Profile for dotdot         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
What's a "digger"?

An archaeologist with a trowel, in this case connected with a TV programme "The Time Team".

To see how the 2 Micks differ [Big Grin] have a look at this page

Padingtun Bear.

# 3935

quote:
quote:

Um, fessing up time. I got the wrong Mick. It is actually Prof. Mick Aston who was my friend's brother's best friend.

My friend is a lady, and would not like me to reveal her age. (Her husband reads the boards [Big Grin] ) However, Mick was a friend of her little brother. That should give an indication of my friend's age.

And Mick is not in his late sixties! Late fifties is much more like it, perhaps 60 this year.

Hah! This bear was right! (but for the wrong reason - does that still count?). My telepathy must have been in overdrive yesterday [Razz] .

Sorry - perhaps it's all those weather-beaten days outdoors that make him look a little older than he is. (Cor, that Time Team - puts years on you, it does...). No 'fence meant.

How nice it must be to have famous friends...
*sigh* .

--------------------
A voice from the fringe

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

ahem...Her Majesty waved at me once.

No, really. Just me. I was the only one on the street. It was that little side street that runs up beside St. James Palace. I swear to God. I'm not lying.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you know that HRH wasn't actually trying trying to shield her eyes from your ugliness?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

You mean hide from a gawky, acne-riddled American teenaged tourist, wildly jumping up and down waving? Why on earth would she want to do that?

[Actually RooK, that would be "HM" not "HRH"]

[ 12. May 2004, 23:30: Message edited by: Sine Nomine ]

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh... are we namedropping now? Do they have to be Christian icons?

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Grits, if you tell us you once met Ira North, I'm not going to be impressed.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

[Sorry. That was a tasteless in-joke I shouldn't have made. For many years Ira North was the pastor of the biggest, most influential church of Christ in Nashville.]
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, the Thread Killer.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Should we continue namedropping, or let this thread die a natural death?

Not that I can name drop. I've only ever met cricketers or footballers, and no-one's really interested in them any more...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Grits
# 4169

Sine has apologized to me in an elaborate and obsequious PM, so the namedropping and this thread may, indeed, continue.

Marvin, I think it's perfectly fine to talk about your Mouseketeers and others, even if we've never heard of them. That will make it easier to make fun of you.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Neil Radford? Dirk Viljohn? Graham Roope? Andy Flower? Steve Ogrizovich? Bobby Hope? Martin O'Connor? Andy Sinton? Chris Waddle?

Nope?

Not that I'm really good mates with any of them, you understand. I've just met and spoken to them, in a context other than "autograph please".

PS- what's a Mousketeer?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

MrsByProxy once tripped over Jarvis Cocker, and my friend James was knocked over by Monica Seles wielding a cumbersome bag full of tennis racquets.

And I once saw Philippa Forrester in a bikini in Cornwall.

When I close my eyes, she's still there.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Sine, the Thread Killer.

[Overused]

Got two of us in one line.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

You're right, Marvin -- I've heard of none of them, but I'll bet they are all very cute and very buffed, which always counts for something, in my book.

The Mouseketeers began in the 1950s on television's first "Mickey Mouse Club". This is the group that spawned Annette Funicello, among others, and more recently, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Christian Aquliera (or however you spell it.) The original group were quite the cultural icons of that time.

--------------------

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fame--Grrrrrr
I wanna live forever
I wanna learn how to fly--Grrrrrr
I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry--Grrrrrr...

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Spooky. I was just thinking exactly the same thing [Paranoid]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016