homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Back off Sydney (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Back off Sydney
philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

- Posted      Profile for philo25   Email philo25   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linzc:
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
And by the way, nice rant, Linzc. [Overused]

*Bows in a pleased but humble way...*
Yeah it was lovely, very polite aswell [Biased] though this is Hell so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You know when you swear so much in a post it kind of reduces the impact of your argument Lincz? You also quoted from various of my posts and put it all together so that kind of misleads as to my general argument, but anyway, I haven't got time to reply properly now but I will do later, I'm sure you're looking forward to it. God bless you brother, it really isn't my intention to offend anyone, I was just tired at all this smug ranting about Sydney, especially when it then became a field day about Oak Hill.
Posts: 246 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sola scriptura, on the other hand, is a fantasy with no scriptural backing whatsoever.

I seem to remember that one of the normal passages is 2 Ti 3:16-17...

And incidentally, back in the mid 90s when I used to do lengthy online debates with atheist friends, we used to have a rule that the first person to swear or make a personal insult lost the argument.

Even though I am biased on this one, I can't help noticing that it is hardly ever the evangelicals who do this on the Ship (with the possible exception of a certain FF). And from my perspective as an observer (atm), that gives what they are saying a lot of weight. If it were the other way round, I might have to reconsider my position on a lot of issues...

Custard

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
And incidentally, back in the mid 90s when I used to do lengthy online debates with atheist friends, we used to have a rule that the first person to swear or make a personal insult lost the argument.
And from my perspective as an observer (atm), that gives what they are saying a lot of weight.

Dear Custard,

In case you haven't noticed, you're not in Kansas any more.

Here, people's posts get respect if it's obvious they know what they're talking about and if they can debate cogently.

So, you know, good luck on the whole 'you determining from your pov who's posts carry a lot of weight', but you'll be basically in opposition to a whole load of other people. Cause they're all playing by different rules.

Best wishes and all that.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm....why is it some of us evangelicals only use "the Medium is the Message" approach when it suits our point? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...(with the possible exception of a certain FF)...

Me? I don't think so! I try to take the same aproach as you - debating without descending to insult or swearing. I may have been provocative on the ship, and may have wound people up with what I've said - but I haven't sworn at anyone or insulted people (with the possible exception of saying Jeffrey John is a false teacher - which I'm standing by!)

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Sola scriptura, on the other hand, is a fantasy with no scriptural backing whatsoever.

Prooftexting to support sola scriptura!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philo25:
You know when you swear so much in a post it kind of reduces the impact of your argument Lincz?

I beg to differ.
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Even though I am biased on this one, I can't help noticing that it is hardly ever the evangelicals who do this on the Ship (with the possible exception of a certain FF).

Well I am a fucking evangelical, shithead.

Just not a very good one. But I am smart enough to realise that the argument "Well I must be right because you are all swearing" is more than a little childish. So Fucketty-fucketty-fuck-fuck-fuck on that.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
quote:

With a passage that doesn't support sola scripture.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
quote:

With a passage that doesn't support sola scripture.
Maybe his tradition is that passage does...

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies to FF for any offence caused. I did say "possible", as I hadn't seen you in action for a while and couldn't be bothered looking up your recent altercations. My mistake.

Apologies also to Kiwigoldfish. I imagine it must be very difficult to post on SoF while doing that. Respect to your commitment though!
Maybe I should have been more specific than just "evangelical" then...

And as to prooftexting for sola scriptura - I was simply showing that it wasn't something with "no scriptural backing whatsoever".

I think Sarkycow's point is an interesting one, and might even start a thread on it!

Custard

[ 07. June 2004, 18:55: Message edited by: Custard123 ]

--------------------
blog

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Even though I am biased on this one

Right. So you admit you're partial.

Oh, hang on, what's this?
quote:

from my perspective as an observer (atm), that gives what they are saying a lot of weight.

You know, when I first started posting on the interweb, way back in the 1890s, people who could not be consistent even within their posts were drummed out of their club.

quote:

If it were the other way round, I might have to reconsider my position on a lot of issues....

Yes, I think that's quite right. After all, you wouldn't get Jesus associating with riff raff who swore.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty Clock:
You know, when I first started posting on the interweb, way back in the 1890s, people who could not be consistent even within their posts were drummed out of their club.

[Smile]

I hope I was careful not to say I was an impartial observer.

And I know that my mere "observer" status ended the time I pressed the "add reply" button. Kind of odd that at the time of writing it was true, but at the time that anyone else read it, it was false if still taken as being in the present tense rather than a reporting of what had been said in the past.

Evidently I'm in waffling mode, so I'll attempt to transfer it to the kitchen and shut up.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apologies to FF for any offence caused. I did say "possible", as I hadn't seen you in action for a while and couldn't be bothered looking up your recent altercations. My mistake.

No worries and no offence caused!

My point was not to criticise you, but to agree with your point about the (more conservative) evangelicals on the ship showing respect to other people.

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish Fish:
the (more conservative) evangelicals on the ship showing respect to other people.

[Killing me]

Tell me another one!

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My point was not to criticise you, but to agree with your point about the (more conservative) evangelicals on the ship showing respect to other people.

You ARE kidding?

Some of the most deeply offensive things posted on the Ship have been said by conservative evangelicals!

[So I can't spell evangeilcal. Pah.]

[ 07. June 2004, 21:20: Message edited by: Ham'n'Eggs ]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth and Hammy, how can THE TRUTH™ be offensive? Come on get a grip.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got two different issues as to what "showing respect" means.

The liberals think it means reading carefully the posts of the other side, doing their level best to understand the other side and then tearing them to shreds, sometimes with less than temperate language.

The conservatives think it means being polite and paying no attention to what the other side is saying at all.

(Yes, I accept I'm caricaturing slightly)

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah it was lovely, very polite aswell [Biased] though this is Hell so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You know when you swear so much in a post it kind of reduces the impact of your argument Lincz? You also quoted from various of my posts and put it all together so that kind of misleads as to my general argument, but anyway, I haven't got time to reply properly now but I will do later, I'm sure you're looking forward to it. God bless you brother, it really isn't my intention to offend anyone, I was just tired at all this smug ranting about Sydney, especially when it then became a field day about Oak Hill.

Ahhh. The I'm better than you but I don't have the time right now to prove it argument. Impressive. I look forward with baited breath (or should I say fear and trembling), to your cogent, witty and of course deeply respectlful reply...

quote:
Pustard123 said:

Even though I am biased on this one, I can't help noticing that it is hardly ever the evangelicals who do this on the Ship

Au contraire many of the most deeply insulting things said on the Ship come from evangelicals. They are usually along the lines of doubting the faith of others; implying that others don't read, understand or value the Bible; wondering in amazement how more liberal people can possibly believe xxxx.

Indeed if you look carefully at the exchange between Philo and myself you will find that I made a polite and indeed positively purgatorial post entirely about my own experience; to which Philo's respectful reply was "Bollocks!" and to cast doubt upon the truth of my own description of my own experience.

So Custard? Pull it out, engage it, sit on it and rotate, cut it off, head it up, get it up, move it out (rawhide!), sell it for spare change, whatever. I'll be as hellish as I like.

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add that Evangelicals of my own acquaintance have voiced disquiet at the doings of Sydney Anglicanism for the reasons given above - Christians of the same basic ideas as Philo25 etc.

This thread is not fundamentally about liberals gratuitously putting the boot into evangelicals, but doing so to a particular strand of Evangelicalism. It's also worth bearing in mind that plenty of evangelicals post on SoF and don't get 'the treatment' - simply because they can argue cogently and defend themselves.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And as to prooftexting for sola scriptura - I was simply showing that it wasn't something with "no scriptural backing whatsoever".

You'll have to do better than that, since that text says nothing whatever about sola scriptura. Keep looking.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jensen is not 'an evangelical'. He is a nepotistic despot peddling a very narrow concept of Christianity. Vis a vis his recent excursion to England he seems to be giving comfort to CE churches who have reneged on any concept of belonging to a wider church other than the credibility the label 'C of E' gives them.

Re the OP, I will lay off Sydney if he lays off us. That means no more excursions to England to give comfort to churches who are happy to use the credibility of the label 'C of E ' but who would not know a tradition if it bit them in the bum and no more magisterial pronouncements about the rest of the Anglican communion.

I don't see that happening any time soon since it seems Jensen's ambition is to lead a worldwide ultra conservative alliance using Anglicanism as a flag of convenience.

--------------------
i-church

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linzc:
Au contraire many of the most deeply insulting things said on the Ship come from evangelicals. They are usually along the lines of doubting the faith of others; implying that others don't read, understand or value the Bible; wondering in amazement how more liberal people can possibly believe xxxx.

Indeed if you look carefully at the exchange between Philo and myself you will find that I made a polite and indeed positively purgatorial post entirely about my own experience; to which Philo's respectful reply was "Bollocks!" and to cast doubt upon the truth of my own description of my own experience.

Dang linzc, that was pretty much word for word exactly what I was thinking in the bath last night after reading this thread, but you got there first which makes me sound like all I can manage is "What he said". I really do have original thoughts sometimes you know [Biased]

Philo, I've also been on the receiving end (not on this site I hasten to add) of someone questioning my experience of salvation. The person who did so was sincere, obviously concerned that God be glorified and protected from this awful woman who dared to suggest that a sola scriptura interpretation wasn't the only way to look at scripture. I was brought up in the "as soon as you start name-calling you've lost the argument" camp, but really, really, the guy was a total knob. More than that though, being on the receiving end of that from someone who had never met me was not only offensive and deeply hurtful, it was also mystifying. What do you think that questioning the validity of linzc's experiences in such offensive terms is going to achieve? It's no different to the OP, which seems to expect that our instant response will be to repent of our ways and agree with the OPer.

There are a number of posters on the ship, of many different persuasions, including evangelical, whose thoughtful posts often challenge me to take my eyes off myself and point me towards God. For me, linzc is very near the top of the list. The posts of yours I've read though, Philo, with their slavish adherence to the letter rather than the spirit of the law, do not have that effect. They just make me very very sad [Frown]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
We've got two different issues as to what "showing respect" means.

The liberals think it means reading carefully the posts of the other side, doing their level best to understand the other side and then tearing them to shreds, sometimes with less than temperate language.

The conservatives think it means being polite and paying no attention to what the other side is saying at all.

(Yes, I accept I'm caricaturing slightly)

Now I think that this is very interesting, coz that's not what it looks like from my POV.

It appears that there are major paradigmatic differences or something, because we don't even see the debates the same way.

For my part, I don't see the "conservatives" on these boards paying no attention to what the other side is saying. On the contrary, I see far more threads where the conservative minority ask interested questions then listen to and consider the answers from other opinions (e.g. Lep's thread on cathedrals, l&d's thread on orthodoxy) than the other way round.

I certainly don't want to give the impression I'm not listening. For what it's worth, I think I am listening and paying attention to what the "liberals" are saying, and I think I understand their POV a lot better than I did a few months ago. I just don't share it and still haven't done enough thinking about how to explain things from within their POV.

I want to see a way round this.

So, how can we "conservatives" be better listeners and pay attention to what you are saying?

Custard

--------------------
blog

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
MT, try swapping your sinful rancour for righteous anger [Biased]

I can do that? Cool! Do you have to, like, go to some particular shop or something? or the bank? or that place at the airport where they sell you foreign money?
All you need to do is become a Sydney Anglican. Everyone knows their anger is righteous because they follow sound doctrine, just like Jesus did.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, how can we "conservatives" be better listeners and pay attention to what you are saying?

Custard

That question is a good start. [Biased]

1. Us evo's don't have to win all the time. In fact noone has to win.
2. Avoid the high horse. It doesn't balance well on the ship.
3. Everyone on the ship is wrong about something. (Except Fr Gregory, whom I suspect is a sockpuppet for God)
4. Accept diversity. The biggest problem I have with the situation in the OP is that if Sydney Anglicans are being evangelicals, then who's being the Anglicans in Sydney? If they are rejecting or neglecting a big part of their tradition and heritage then the wider church in Sydney has lost something.

Hey, I posted in hell without a single swear word. Fuck I'm good!

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

oh shit...

--------------------

The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
So, how can we "conservatives" be better listeners and pay attention to what you are saying? [/QB]
A few ideas:

i. Don't assume that your views are typical of all evangelicals and recognise that - at least in the UK - you are a minority.

ii. Note carefully that many of the criticisms of Sydney/Reform are from evangelicals.

iii. Stop denouncing evangelicals as liberals simply because they are charismatics/support the ordination of women.

And to add to Pete's comments about Oak Hill - anyone with any knowledge of the C of E in London will know that a high percentage of ordinanrds come from the big charismatic churches there. Currently they have to train outside London - this is not ideal, as many have spouses with jobs in London and/or children at school here. Pete is right - we need a decent vicar factory in London.

Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
the conservative minority ask interested questions then listen to and consider the answers from other opinions (e.g. Lep's thread on cathedrals, l&d's thread on orthodoxy) than the other way round.

Far as I remember, Leprechaun's original position was that Cathedrals are a waste of space and he would be happy to see them all shut down and run as museums. I didn't see that as an 'interested question' personally, more of a demonstration of the attitude that if I personally don't have any use for something it should not exist.

Hmmm - has anyone actually seenLeprechaun and Jensen together?

--------------------
i-church

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell has frozen over and I am defending Oak Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Labrador:
Pete is right - we need a decent vicar factory in London.

And what exactly are the liberals and Anglo-Catholics supposed to do at the moment? They already have to commute or move or go to a college which is completely outside their tradition. This is a standard fact of residential training within the CofE at the moment. I appreciate it will change with the regionalisation of training, but it seems to me only fair that the con evs have a college. I don't agree with them on zillions of issues but if I am to truly be part of a broad church in which liberals, ACs and people like me (raving charismatics) are to be trained within contexts which suit and fit them, I have to accept there will need to be a place where conservatives train too, because however much I disagree with them they are on the whole still Anglican Christians (although I appreciate some of them tread a bloody fine line).

Apart from anything else I know of a number of charismatics who were trained recently at Oak Hill and were not put under any pressure, theological or otherwise, to stop being charismatics. On the contrary, they found it a good and accepting place to train. They were allowed to form a charismatic ordinands group which met regularly and the college was supportive of them being part of a local charismatic Anglican church.

I appreciate however that almost certainly no female ordinand would want to train there unless she was something of a masochist so that is undeniably still a problem.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
quote:
the conservative minority ask interested questions then listen to and consider the answers from other opinions (e.g. Lep's thread on cathedrals, l&d's thread on orthodoxy) than the other way round.

Far as I remember, Leprechaun's original position was that Cathedrals are a waste of space and he would be happy to see them all shut down and run as museums. I didn't see that as an 'interested question' personally, more of a demonstration of the attitude that if I personally don't have any use for something it should not exist.

Well, here's what Lep actually said...

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
I've been involved in some argy bargy about this on a couple of threads now. To me cathedrals are merely very expensive, pretty, but cumbersome buildings, which are more useful for historical value than evangelistic outreach. If I was Rowan Williams I'd sign them over to the National Trust with the proviso that Christians could keep meeting there if they want.

Others evidently disagree. Tell me why? Convince me! What are they for? Why should the church pump millions of quid into them?

To me, that seems to be robustly stating his point of view but willing to engage in discussion and wanting to find out more, especially in the light of this...

quote:
I recant. (I feel like Cranmer.)

If I were Rowan Williams I would not hand them over to the National Trust. Not immediately anyway.

Thanks especially Anselmina and ACOL-ite for explaining so much to me. I still have my reservations, but I understand much more. If a cathedral near you burns down soon, it won't have been me. [Smile]

And, FWIW, Lep and Jensen are definitely distinct people, though I haven't met either since first posting on SoF.

Custard

--------------------
blog

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
There are a number of posters on the ship, of many different persuasions, including evangelical, whose thoughtful posts often challenge me to take my eyes off myself and point me towards God. For me, linzc is very near the top of the list.

Why thank you JTL. *blushes*

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seán D:
All you need to do is become a Sydney Anglican. Everyone knows their anger is righteous because they follow sound doctrine, just like Jesus did.

Sorry, the price is too high. I'll just wallow in my sinful whateveritwas.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Thank goodness. At least your sinful rancour is funny.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

- Posted      Profile for philo25   Email philo25   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dyfrig says;

Stand up, stand up for Jensen,
he's really, really great,
so long as you hate Evensong,
so long as you love hate.

...He speaks of male headship
and isn't keen on queers;

..the power and the Word.
His trinity is Father,
Bible, OHP;
his version of the Articles
makes Newman look PC.

By Lurker Mclurker..

Oh, and because persecution is the mark of the True Christian™, those who attack the Diocese of Sydney are actually doing the Lord's work. You are helping people like Johann realise they are in the right. So keep on attacking, it is the loving, Christian thing to do.

ATTACK SYDNEY FOR JESUS!

My intention was to highlight this kind of sneering at Jensen, and that by Pete173 about Oak Hill. I realise that these posts were half-in-jest, I reckon my post was made in a similar vein though not as witty (doh!) I was playing devil's advocate a little, since I don't agree with everything Jensen's doing, but I do feel he's being overly-demonised. I notice that as soon as I offered an opposing view in a similar vein to Dyfrig's and Pete's, everyone jumps on me for it. Well I'm happy to have livened up the thread a bit but all I'm saying is that I feel non-con-evo's can be just as unaccommodating as con-evo's. Also, from what I know so far I do believe that Jensen has been insensitive to opposing viewpoints in Sydney. But, overall, I feel that it is the Liberals in the Anglican Communion (I don't mean non-con-evo's who also disagree with the Liberal position) who are rolling back centuries of accepted positions on scripture regarding sex before marriage, same sex marriage, etc. Now Jensen is perhaps not reacting to this in the most sensitive way, but at least someone is trying to uphold not just the con-evo but I believe the majority of opinion in the Anglican Communion regarding these 'moral' issues. I do agree though that tackling evensong services on sunday evenings is perhaps not the best way to go about this! Nonetheless just becuase Jensen was rude about it, I don't think that then means we can never change the style or services to fit what local communities want, and that the style or church service may need to change in future to be more in tune with the younger generations tastes. I think in this instance it was wrong given that alternative space was available elsewhere, but if the cathedral had been the only viable venue then I don't see what would have been the problem, seeing that the new service apparently has alot more congregants than the evensong one.

quote:
By Amphibalus ...The saying of the Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer) is a duty laid on every ordained minister except under extreme circumstances. It is that day-in-day-out recitation of scripture and prayer which forms the church - its life and its growth. If no-one says the Office with the minister, then she or he still says it on behalf of those who are not there. You can have as many other styles and types of service as you like, but abolishing the Office is like trying to stay alive with no blood in your veins.
Sorry Amphibalus I was unaware that Jensen is trying to abolish the Daily Office. I also agree that Anglican doctrine is important and indeed is possibly the one or one of the few things that holds the disparate CofE together. If Jensen is trying to do away with this then I might become an anti-Jensenist yet!

quote:
By Amphibalus..Scripture is not tradition, but is understood with the help of reason and tradition. Scripture is, and always will be, the default position with regard to theology and doctrine, but I, for one, recognise and rejoice in the intelligence of those wiser, holier, and more spiritually aware than myself, whose guidance is neglected at the risk of peril to the whole Christian venture.

Can we settle once and for all that no-one is trying to 'reduce' scripture - all that is being said is that the bible should be read with a mind open to the on-going prompting and guidance of God, not as a legalistic obsession with ink and paper - that was what Jesus condemned the scribes and Pharisees for.

Amphibalus I think I agree with you here. I also beleive that Scripture is the default position with regards theology and doctrine. I also recognise and rejoice in wise spiritually aware people like Luther, Justin Martyr etc. I'm sure Jensen isn't against our Christian forebears? I believe however that Luther etc relied on Scripture to inform his reasoning and not vice versa. For example when Luther was reading through Romans and recognised that we are justified by faith, I don't think he came to that through his own reasoning but rather that he recognised what scripture was actually saying to him. I beleive the Holy Spirit helped him, but I believe that the Holy Spirit and indeed Jesus never say things that aren't backed up by scripture, but that they remind us of scripture and direct us to it. So when you say 'we should be directed when reading scripture by the ongoin promtping and guidance of God' I of course agree with you, but with the important proviso that to ensure that that prompting is indeed from God, that it fits with what scripture in its entirety has spoken to us through the ages. For example I understand that the US Episcopal church claims that its blessing of same sex partnerships/marriages are prompted by the Holy Spirit. I would disagree with that conclusion since I believe the consequences of that (imho human) reasoning is that key parts of scripture end up being ignored, and I don't understand why the Holy Spirit would communicate God's wishes via his prophets, Jesus and Paul, only to revoke them centuries later.

quote:
By Lincz...

You stupid prick, Johann. If you want people to lay off Sydney Anglicans, then take your flaming arrogance and shove it where the sun don't shine!

I'm all for 'live and let live' as a general principle but it is the kind of "we're right and all the world is wrong" that you evince in your post that gives my beloved faith a bad name.

So just crawl back into your hole in the ground and suck your thumb for a bit mate, 'cause its the adults playing around here and you're not wanted.

LinCz apparently you're quite upset by me saying that it's 'bollocks' that the Bible informed your Liberal convictions, and that I felt instead it's the other way round. Given that you so freely swear at people for their opinions, I'm surpised that you're so sensitive over what I said, I apologise for it nonetheless. I think I was trying to be a 'tough newbie' Hell poster and indeed I was perhaps perversely excited ( [Biased] ) at the prospect of using the bollocks word several times in that post regarding your point about the Bible and others points, but in my defence I would argue, as you have so ably demonstrated, that Hell is not exactly a profanity-free zone [Biased]

quote:
by Lincz..
Point to even one post where I have denied that we're asked to repent and change our ways. Go on, fuckwit - where is it?

I'd got the general impression from your posts that you are of that disposition but since you deny that, then I apologise for misunderstanding your position, and I'll try and read more carefully next time you post.

quote:
Perhaps this is too subtle for your lobotomised pea-brain, but I happen to believe that the reason God asks us to repent and change our ways is because he really loves us and wants the best for us - exactly the same reason I don't buy the idea of the cosmic bully, choosing to eternally torture those who have already failed in this life to gain the abundance he offers.
I agree that God asks us to repent and change our ways becuase he loves us and wants the best for us, where did I suggest otherwise? However, I also believe in a God of Justice. I beleive that he is a God of Justice precisely because he does love us. Therefore if I've understood the second part of your above quote correctly, then can I summise that you don't beleive in Hell? You see, that's what I mean when I complain about 'Liberals' (I don't know if you would classify yourself as one, apologies if not). IMO, it's pretty difficult to read the Bible and not understand from it that people who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour will go to Hell, (or that prior to Jesus's coming to Earth, those who rejected God's word and did not trust that their messiah would come) Otherwise I feel it would make a nonsense of Jesus himself comissioning his apostles to spread the gospel to all the nations. Why would this be necessary if everyone is saved in any case? Now if people who accept Jesus sin, then of course they are still saved, I'm not suggesting otherwise. Otherwise I'd we'd all be for the Hot place! [Eek!]

quote:
I don't have to ask for the Holy Spirit when I read scripture dickhead, because I already have the Spirit - something which is promised to me by the self-same scriptures you claim to follow. Perhaps you missed that one?
Sorry I was unclear, I didn't mean asking for the presence of the Holy Spirit himself but asking for his help and guidance, since as you are a Christian he of course is already dwelling within your soul.

quote:
Actually lame-brain I suspect that I take a lot more of the OT seriously than you do. Because if you're locked into some feeble attempt to apply the Bible literally as an instruction manual then you either end up a Messianic Jew or you find some bogus reason to throw out half the OT. "Oh, Jesus' death supercedes all the sacrificial law and the civil law only applies to national Israel..." Oh yeah? Then why the fuck did God bother giving us all that crap, or to put it another way, why did the early christians bother keeping all that crap in the Christian canon.

Whereas I, with my 'interpretation' can look squarely at all the Bible and ask intelligent questions of it, like "How did this text function for the people of that day?" "What principles are behind this law?" "How might we apply those principles today?" And in doing that I can actually gain something out of mixed cottons as well as commands against 'homosexuality'*. But I'm not tied to the archaic worldview that spawned both these injunctions.

So I'll continue taking the whole Bible seriously and you carry on cherry-picking the bits that fit your stifled little world with its narrow horizons and everlasting damnation for the majority of God's children. Just don't bother me with your pathetic mewlings.

*I use the word for brevity although clearly the verses referred to by conservatives in this debate are not addressing the modern phenomena of homosexuality.

Hm, see this is where I feel that you do show us that you allow your reasoning to change somewhat what the Bible is telling us. With regards to OT law, another of thinsg we are told is not to eat pork since it's 'unclean'. And yet Jesus tells us that nothing that we eat or enters us makes us unclean, but that it is our thought, speech and action (what comes out of us) that makes us unclean. Paul says that the Law was there to show us what sin actually was. I believe eating pork was symbolic, just as the Tabernacle is considered by some to be symbolic of the Trinity etc. I and many Christains, perhaps you yourself too, believe that much of the OT is symbolic of Jesus and his coming, the Passover etc, but true events also.

But, on the issue of homosexuality you mentioned, neither Jesus nor Paul claim that OT directives against same-sex sex was merely symbolic or can be done away with. Therefore I stll consider that to be outside of God's plans for us. I don't think Christians who sleep with the same sex will go to Hell since they are saved, but at the same time I don't think it, nor any sex before/outside marriage, should be given an equal status with heterosexual married-sex either, by blessing gay marriages etc.

I'm sorry but you mention that you will ask intelligent questions of the Bible and how things relate to what time period etc, that's again what I mean by 'Liberals' changing the majority-accepted interpretation of the Bible. I feel we should only change our opinion of things if scripture itself tells us to. So that's why I beleive that whereas according to scripture we no longer have to be physically circumcised or eat pork, we do have to keep our sex within marriage. Therefore, I feel that it is Liberals who are cherry picking from the Bible, and not con-evo's.

Colossians 2:8 - See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.

Hugs to all brothers and siters in Christ, yes even the swearing non-con-evo's [Biased] philo

[Keep your filthy hands off me, you UBB-abusing bastard.]

[ 08. June 2004, 18:20: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 246 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yadda-yadda-yadda

<sigh>

Yet another ****wit that thinks that Hell is the place for rational debate.

Oi, shithead! Are you completely incapable of reading the board guidelines? Anyone who posts in Hell lays themselves explicitly open to personal attack. Now **** off upstairs, or grow up!

[Censored, 'cos it might offend the weaker brethren.]

[ 08. June 2004, 17:28: Message edited by: Ham'n'Eggs ]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
quote:

You ARE kidding?

Some of the most deeply offensive things posted on the Ship have been said by conservative evangelicals!

I was trying my best yesterday but no-one bit on any of my deeply offensive posts. No-one was very offended when I called YECcies liars. No-one noticed the one that made a (genuine, valid, trinitarian) theological point about Jesus's nocturnal emissions.

The ship is just too tolerant of foul-mouthed evangelicals like me [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
There were Puritans who left the CofE. There were some Puritans who did not leave the CofE, but put up with it, grumbling, hoping to reform it further from within. But history and other church circumstances (like that little episode with Cromwell) eventually meant they died out.

Well, most of them were kicked out by Charles II.

And it's not a "400 year gap". There have been many Anglican evangelicals since at least the early 19th century who saw themselves as spiritual heirs to the Puritans (who were much nicer sorts than usually made out these days - the word has become an insult).

So maybe a 150 year gap?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, thanks so much for this in depth discussion of my posting style. On the subject of cathedrals, I admitted on the thread that my OP had been far too confrontational, and, as Custard has already pointed out, I was not only ready to be convinced by the arguments there presented, I actually was in reality convinced.

Now, I don't want to get into this "evangelicals are nicer than everyone else" argument, because I know that at least I, for one, have typed some pretty stupid things on here. But every time I have been told I offended someone I have apologised, and I have done my best to listen to what they have to say. I'm not saying that Christians should never swear or express rancour, but a bit of forgiveness where there has already been an apology wouldn't go amiss. Even if this is Hell.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
i. Don't assume that your views are typical of all evangelicals and recognise that - at least in the UK - you are a minority.

ii. Note carefully that many of the criticisms of Sydney/Reform are from evangelicals.

i - fine
ii - also fine. I have been known to criticise Reform on SoF, and don't know enough about some of the Sydney stuff to criticise (but am generally in agreement on the bits I do know about).

quote:

iii. Stop denouncing evangelicals as liberals simply because they are charismatics/support the ordination of women.

Where have I ever, ever done this?

I am pro-ordination of women, and think that evangelical churches have nowhere near enough female workers for their theological position. Of course, there's more to it than that though...

Charismaticism is a totally different issue, though suffice to say I know, love and respect quite a few evangelical charismatics. There are, of course, also liberal charismatics of several different types.

[Yipee] Philo. I agree.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Acolyte
Shipmate
# 3989

- Posted      Profile for Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, overall, I feel that it is the Liberals in the Anglican Communion (I don't mean non-con-evo's who also disagree with the Liberal position) who are rolling back centuries of accepted positions on scripture regarding sex before marriage, same sex marriage, etc. Now Jensen is perhaps not reacting to this in the most sensitive way, but at least someone is trying to uphold not just the con-evo but I believe the majority of opinion in the Anglican Communion regarding these 'moral' issues.

You have several times used the 'centuries of accepted positions/understandings' type argument to support your arguments regarding how you believe Scripture should be read. You accuse "liberals" of throwing all this out.

For centuries, Scripture was used to defend slavery and oppress women, amonst other crimes against humanity. Jensen is still using it to oppress women, so far as I can figure.

We live in the 21st century. Jesus lived in the 1st century. The fact is, an awful lot of interpretation and tradition (both good and crap) has clouded the two thousand years between us. I believe Scripture is the living word of God, and that it has huge relevance for us today. But I will not blindly follow 'centuries of accepted positions on Scripture' because some of these positions are just plain evil. We are called to read Scripture with our brains in gear. If its meaning were as plain and clear as you seem to believe it is, the Anglican Communion wouldn't be in the mess it is now. But somehow all our best and brightest theologians can't keep up with Philo25...

Fortunately, the Holy Spirit led some wise folk to "roll back centuries of accepted positions" on stuff like slavery and women in the church. Thank God I can now (as an Anglican woman about as far from Sydney as I can get) prepare for ordination with joy, and have sex (in lots and lots of positions too) for the sheer glorious orgasmic fun of it instead of to provide progeny (namely, sons) to further my husband's gene pool.

And believe it or not, the church is not a democracy. It's God's church, and while he may s/he may well choose to speak through the majority of its members, s/he may also choose to speak through some persecuted minority. It is our responsibility to seek Truth, not the Majority Opinion.

A far more minor point: it would greatly help the lucidity of your posts if you could manage the use of paragraphs and a spell checker.

--------------------
"...my inclination is to avoid all assemblies of bishops, because I have never seen any synod come to a good end.... You always find there a love of contention and love of power which beggar description." - Gregory of Nazianzus

Acolyte
Shipmate
# 3989

- Posted      Profile for Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er, that should be "amongst other crimes..."

Shit.

--------------------
"...my inclination is to avoid all assemblies of bishops, because I have never seen any synod come to a good end.... You always find there a love of contention and love of power which beggar description." - Gregory of Nazianzus

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Colossians 2:8 - See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.

Not following what that has to do with sola scriptura (sp?)...

So I don't follow human tradition, but follow the church's tradition, I don't follow the "elemental spirits of the universe", but I follow Christ in his gift of the Holy Spirit to help me make decisions. I can't see where scripture fits into this at all.

Sorry, won't buy it. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
I don't want to get into this "evangelicals are nicer than everyone else" argument

The argument at the moment seems to be about something called 'con-evos' being nicer than everyone else. I'm an evangelical and clearly by your own account I'm Not Nice. Ken is an evangelical and he seems positively proud of the fact he's Even Less Nice. A sort of con-evil. Get a grip.

quote:
But every time I have been told I offended someone I have apologised, and I have done my best to listen to what they have to say. I'm not saying that Christians should never swear or express rancour, but a bit of forgiveness where there has already been an apology wouldn't go amiss. Even if this is Hell.

quote:
What Leprechaun actually wanted to say:

I Thought This Was a Christian Website [Disappointed] [Frown] [Waterworks]

--------------------
i-church

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:

Even though I am biased on this one, I can't help noticing that it is hardly ever the evangelicals who do this on the Ship (with the possible exception of a certain FF). And from my perspective as an observer (atm), that gives what they are saying a lot of weight. If it were the other way round, I might have to reconsider my position on a lot of issues...

Just to clarify - I was not saying the conservative evangelicals are nicer than everyone else. For one thing, it isn't true. There are plenty of non con-evos out there who seriously consider their use of language and who aim to be respectful of the other parties in a debate. I wholeheartedly apologise to any such people who misread my post as saying something that I didn't intend it to say.

What I guess I was saying is that the use of ad hominem attacks, etc. does not make for a good argument and in fact suggests there are no better arguments at the poster's disposal and that the poster is more concerned about their appearance than the truth.

Is that ironic? Probably, but at the time I posted I wasn't in the debate and I see it hard how to point this out otherwise.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by St. Seraphim of Sarov:
quote:

Not following what that has to do with sola scriptura (sp?)...

So I don't follow human tradition, but follow the church's tradition, I don't follow the "elemental spirits of the universe", but I follow Christ in his gift of the Holy Spirit to help me make decisions. I can't see where scripture fits into this at all.

Sorry, won't buy it. [Biased]

And whilst we're on the topic, the sola scriptura brigade seem to have missed the basic point that the canon of scripture (aka the Holy Bible) is the product of the reasoned debate and the tradition of the Christian church over more than three centuries.

<glances up at board title>

Bugger! The little shit has got me doing it now! :furious:

<stomps off to find his cat-punting boots, and rediscover panther-like timing and execution>

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
What I guess I was saying is that the use of ad hominem attacks, etc. does not make for a good argument and in fact suggests there are no better arguments at the poster's disposal and that the poster is more concerned about their appearance than the truth.

Hellooooooooooooo-oooooooo-oooooooo! The lights are on, but no-ones home....

Your mantra for the next month is:

Good arguments don't go here. Ad hominem attacks do.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Custard123 have you ever read the guidlines to hell and then compared them to purgatory?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

quote:
LinCz apparently you're quite upset by me saying that it's 'bollocks' that the Bible informed your Liberal convictions, and that I felt instead it's the other way round. Given that you so freely swear at people for their opinions, I'm surpised that you're so sensitive over what I said, I apologise for it nonetheless. I think I was trying to be a 'tough newbie' Hell poster and indeed I was perhaps perversely excited ( [Biased] ) at the prospect of using the bollocks word several times in that post regarding your point about the Bible and others points, but in my defence I would argue, as you have so ably demonstrated, that Hell is not exactly a profanity-free zone [Biased]

Philo I am not offended by your language (I'm big and tough enough to take the odd bollocksing), but by the content - ie. you gratuitously assuming that you know anything about my thought processes, let alone enough to simply deny my own description of them.

By all means be as tough as you want in hell. I only raised your "Bollocks" because Pustard123 was getting all whiney about how I had abused you so I pointed out it was a 2 way street.

quote:
Philo said:
quote:
by Lincz..
Point to even one post where I have denied that we're asked to repent and change our ways. Go on, fuckwit - where is it?

I'd got the general impression from your posts that you are of that disposition but since you deny that, then I apologise for misunderstanding your position, and I'll try and read more carefully next time you post.
Firstly, it's 'linzc'. L. I. N. Z. C. Think 'linz' (short for Lindsay) 'c' (for my surname).

Secondly, there is a rather large difference between believing God is honour bound to roast n' toast the large majority of his children for all eternity, and believing that he's unconcerned with our choices and actions and anything goes. There's a vast range of views in between these two and I'm somewhere there. It's not that difficult to grasp, really.

quote:
Philo said:
Therefore if I've understood the second part of your above quote correctly, then can I summise that you don't beleive in Hell? You see, that's what I mean when I complain about 'Liberals' (I don't know if you would classify yourself as one, apologies if not). IMO, it's pretty difficult to read the Bible and not understand from it that people who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour will go to Hell

Well that's where we differ then, isn't it. IMO it's not difficult at all. That has to do with the presuppositions with which we both read scripture. The fact that you can't understand my POV doesn't thereby make it wrong.

quote:
[Lots snipped...]

I'm sorry but you mention that you will ask intelligent questions of the Bible and how things relate to what time period etc, that's again what I mean by 'Liberals' changing the majority-accepted interpretation of the Bible. I feel we should only change our opinion of things if scripture itself tells us to.

Again, we differ. Live with it. Argue about it in Purgatory. Write me a letter to discuss it. Just don't assume that I don't read, understand, value and give authority to the Bible because I don't agree with you.

[Fixed UBB.]

[ 08. June 2004, 23:46: Message edited by: linzc ]

--------------------

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IMO, it's pretty difficult to read the Bible and not understand from it that people who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour will go to Hell, (or that prior to Jesus's coming to Earth, those who rejected God's word and did not trust that their messiah would come)

And yet very, very many Christians read the bible and don't draw that conclusion. How odd. Maybe it isn't that difficult after all...

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016