homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: You never see a Jesuit's skeleton in a tree (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: You never see a Jesuit's skeleton in a tree
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a nun? I understand they're very good with children, and of course she wouldn't need spaying.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that a gentle, well-trained nun would make a delightful pet - but I think you'd need to take care in selecting your nun. Some of them turn out to have a streak of steel which can make them very difficult to handle sometimes.

Has anyone considered some of the more exotic breeds? Hare Krishnas, despite their unusual appearance, are usually gentle, fun-loving and clean creatures, and the fact that they're vegetarians means that they don't cost too much to feed.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seth
Shipmate
# 3623

- Posted      Profile for Seth   Email Seth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A possible explanation for the rarity of nun's skellingtons in trees..
Posts: 566 | From: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Madake
Shipmate
# 3343

- Posted      Profile for Madake   Author's homepage   Email Madake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken,

You know this, perhaps you have just forgotten. What you want for a family pet is a good hearty pet, one that won't sicken and die easily.

So. What you need is a pet with hybrid vigor, say a child of a Jesuit and a Southern Baptist or perhaps a cross breed between a Franciscan and a Unitarian Universal-ist.

Now of course some of these crosses are hard to come by, but well worth the trouble.

Of course for a fully hardy breed try the Zen-C.o.E.-Hindu/Methodists Seventh Day Baptist,

Reformed (of course)

BTW VERY funny [Killing me]

--------------------
Peanut Butter Cookie recipe is driving me nuts...must be too much flour

Posts: 285 | From: Redlands, California | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
JellyHead

# 3880

- Posted      Profile for JellyHead   Author's homepage   Email JellyHead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madake:
Of course for a fully hardy breed try the Zen-C.o.E.-Hindu/Methodists Seventh Day Baptist,

Though this particular cross can suffer from panic attacks brought on by existential doubt. It is best to put down a few old newspapers, and a National Geographic, until this subsides.

--------------------
One whole cucumber sandwich short of a picnic.

Posts: 308 | From: Up in the treehouse | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent idea! (re: mutts)

I've heard from friends that an Orthodox/Southern Baptist is a very hardy mix, easily trainable and possessed of an exceedingly loyal temperament. Can anyone verify this?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't say much about the Orthodox/Southern Baptist hybrid, as I've never seen one. The Southern Baptists tend to be a little too enthusiastic for my taste, always jumping on you and whatnot.

But then, I have two UU ministers. They're great for city living, but you're quite right - they are indoor pets. The poor things always get attacked if they venture out on their own. Which is why I'm going for a mutt next time. A friend of mine has Franciscan/UU mix that's both friendly and capable of fending for itself.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Madake
Shipmate
# 3343

- Posted      Profile for Madake   Author's homepage   Email Madake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:

I've heard from friends that an Orthodox/Southern Baptist is a very hardy mix, easily trainable and possessed of an exceedingly loyal temperament. Can anyone verify this?

Ken, I am not aware of anyone that has that breed out here in CA, maybe the liberal coastal climate is too much for them.

You could go for a really rare breed; any Quaker cross or any Branch Davidian cross would be Very Rare! Who knows what qualities you would get though, the BD cross would I think make for more hiding behind the dryer which brings us full circle I think.

Madake

--------------------
Peanut Butter Cookie recipe is driving me nuts...must be too much flour

Posts: 285 | From: Redlands, California | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madake:
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:

Ken, I am not aware of anyone that has that breed out here in CA, maybe the liberal coastal climate is too much for them.

You could go for a really rare breed; any Quaker cross or any Branch Davidian cross would be Very Rare! Who knows what qualities you would get though, the BD cross would I think make for more hiding behind the dryer which brings us full circle I think.

While the BD cross would indeed be *very* rare (except when it'd be well done... [Snigger] [Killing me] ) I lived in Texas duuring that breed's media exposure, and I found them to be extremely high-strung, possessed of an irritating bark. I'm not familiar with Quakers, but their reputation for spending their days lying in a sunny spot is a bit off-putting, as I prefer a bit more activity in my breeds.

I agree w/ saysay; the UU ministers are hopeless as outdoor pets, but I suspect it's due to a genetic trait brought on by too much inbreeding: No spine.

Ideally, I'm looking for a breed with the sophistication of an Episcopalian or even a Presbyterian, but with the Southern Baptist ability to defend itself (minus the barking and drooling, tho) but all with the compatibility of a Methodist.

I've given up on the Orthodox as their coats simply require far too much grooming, and in winter-summer seasonal transitions, they shed copiously! Ditto for Roman Catholics, they seem to have difficulty going away from home for any appreciable distance and they go through chew toys at an amazing rate.

However, someone mentioned Franciscans; as a breed, what are they like? I was under the impression they were passive creatures, like Anglicans. How difficult is it to housebreak a Franciscan?

Southern Baptists, despite their reputation for aggressiveness, are remarkably easy to train and heel to leash quite well, and seem to work well with children.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, rarest of all is your Shaker purebred, or Shaker cross.

Of course in Scotland, we have some interesting native breeds. The Wee Freebie is less common than it used to be - semi-feral these days, and a very uncertain temper. The Common Presby is aimable, but a bit toothless. And you can still find a Piskie - but they can be very highly strung, and they are murder on your soft furnishing I believe (they try and wear them).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mormon missionaries are very popular hereabouts, but they don't do well alone--you really need to get a pair. Also they're very energetic and need a lot of exercise. On the plus side, they're exceptionally trainable, doing very well in obedience trials, and while talkative, they aren't loud. If left fertile, they will produce a litter pretty much every year once they reach maturity.

I'd advise against a Quaker, since while they have gentle temperaments and are quiet and usually easy to get along with, they are virtually untrainable. Just when you think they've learned to stay off the sofa they get a leading and you're back at square one. And walking them is a nightmare, especially if you have more than one--reaching a consensus on left or right at every corner can make a twenty-minute walk take two hours.

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Well, I went down to the pound yesterday and looked over what they had.

The first one I saw was a hairless Buddhist. He just sat in his cage and stared at me. It would take quite a long time for me to grow accustomed to having one of those in my house!

The second ones I saw were two Anglican ministers, somewhat elderly, typically jowly and with huge, sad eyes. They appeared devoted to each other, sharing without complaint their water bowl, kibble and BCP. However, they didn't seem to have much energy so I passed them by.

I remember one little fellow I saw, a United Pentecostal, who full of zip and energy, yipping and charging across his cage floor back and forth, scattering his newspaper and Kenneth Hagin books. I'm afraid he'd be murder on my furniture, though.

Now, this pound was a bit better equipped than others I'd been to, they even had a small aviary where I saw numerous Episcopalian and even a Roman Catholic priest or two, every one of them a riot of color in their exotic plumage, and all of them crouched on their roosts. For some reason sherry bottles littered the floor of the aviary.

I didn't find what I was looking for, so my guide suggested I come back next week after the quarter ends, as many churches will be re-evaluating their pastoral needs then and quite a few ministers are released to the pound or even into the wild.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez
Now, this pound was a bit better equipped than others I'd been to, they even had a small aviary where I saw numerous Episcopalian and even a Roman Catholic priest or two, every one of them a riot of color in their exotic plumage, and all of them crouched on their roosts. For some reason sherry bottles littered the floor of the aviary.

No gin bottles?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a sketch on a comedy show once (can't remember which show, or who was in it or anything), but it involved a group of people sitting in a living room, chatting, while a Bishop in full episcopals crouched on top of a cupboard in the corner. One of the people asked, "How long have you had him?"
The reply was "Since he was a Deacon."

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's too bad that the Koreshans are extinct, as I think you would find one of them the ideal pet. Intelligent, helpful and easy on the environment. (They tended to walk on the inside of the Earth.) Unfortunately, they refused to breed. [Frown]

They were mutts, you know.

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just don't get a Dominican. They bite.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seth
Shipmate
# 3623

- Posted      Profile for Seth   Email Seth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....and it would be unfair to try to muzzle him.
Posts: 566 | From: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016